Subject: [MMUSIC] SDPnew: Why not allow "s=" at the media-level?

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:25:44 -0700

According to the SDP specification (currently: 
<draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-new-13.txt>) "i=" is allowed at both the session 
level and the media level.  At the session level, it is called "session 
information"; at the media level, it is called "media title".

On the other hand, "s=" - which is called "session name" - is allowed at 
only the session level.

This seems inconsistent to me.  Why not also allow "s=" to appear at the 
media level?  And also, could we use more consistent names for these - e.g.,

At the session level:
         - call "s=" the "session name" (no change)
         - call "i=" the "session information" (no change)
At the media level:
         - call "s=" the "media name" or "media title"
         - call "i=" the "media information".

I.e., the intention here is that, at each level, "i=" - if present - would 
contain more detailed information than "s=".

         Ross.

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:17:10 -0700

Ross
   I don't understand the requirement for a "media name" or "media 
title."  What is the need that you are addressing?

Mark

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:53:18 -0700

> title."  What is the need that you are addressing?

Mark,

Note that "media title" is *already* specified in SDP (as a media-level 
"i=").  Quoting from the existing specification:

       "A single "i=" field can also be used for each media definition.
       In media definitions, "i=" fields are primarily intended for
       labeling media streams.  As such, they are most likely to be
       useful when a single session has more than one distinct media
       stream of the same media type.  An example would be two different
       whiteboards, one for slides and one for feedback and questions."

All I'm proposing is that "s=" also be allowed at the media level, and that 
*this* be called "media title" (with "i=" at the media level called 
something else, e.g., "media information").

         Ross.

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:02:07 +0200

Ross,

The aim of SDPnew is to be backwards compatible where possible, so I'm
reluctant to do this unless there is a strong need.

Colin

--> Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]> writes:
> All I'm proposing is that "s=" also be allowed at the media level, and
> that *this* be called "media title" (with "i=" at the media level called 

-- 
Colin Perkins
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:51:13 -0700

Ross
   I don't see what is gained by doing this renaming.  We would lose some 
interoperability.  It would be worse, I suppose, if we then re-purposed the i=.

Mark