Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP discussion today

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:11:43 +0200

Hi,

There where no room available at the conference center so we will have 
to make this an ad-hoc. Please meet at 17.30 in the main foyer near the 
registration desk. We will then go down to the riverside (5 min walk) 
and have the discussion at one of the fast food places there. Based on 
yesterdays sightings there will be rather plenty of room there. We will 
continue until it is time to go to the IAB plenary.

Please don't be late, we will not wait long. Any person late can call me 
on +46 70 211 48 44 for information on where we are.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

A issue list for the discussions are:

RTSP discussions topics

RTSP & NAT

- Goals
- Select solution
- FW
- ALGs

RTSP Core

 - Session and control URL definitions

 - Proposal for detecting live streams via SDP 'range' attribute.  I
   think Magnus will have an updated proposal since last week?

 - Possible methods for signalling end of stream in RTP (both RTP/RTCP
   extensions and RTSP extensions are possibilities).

 - RTP extensions to make multibitrate files more cache-friendly.  The
   most important piece of information that a proxy needs is a bitrate
   field, but there are other issues as well.

 - Should REDIRECT automatically close session?
 
 - How to handle implicit redirection through session description protocol.
   Majority favors allowing it per default.

 - How to detect the updated spec? Version number change 1.1 or 2.0, or
   only use require and tag when necessary.

 - Request to Response timeout. The time a request takes until any 
response is
   received is not bound. Look at SIP solution?

RTSP MUTE/UNMUTE

- Need for it, revisit requirements advantages.

RTSP stream switching

- Requirements

- Way forward?

RTSP TLS

-into main spec if small enough!

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Geetha Srikantan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:45:04 -0700 (PDT)

> > >I have been thinking about how 'playlists' may be supported with RTSP/RTP.
> > >Playlists are what one might use in an internet radio session for 
> > >instance, pre-program a set of songs that are to be played out in sequence 
> > >on the same
> > >RTP session.
> > >Would it be possible to discuss this topic at the meeting today?
> 
> It seems to me there are two types of playlists: those created on the server
> side (pre-set) and those created on the client side (dynamic).  Which are
> you interested in?  I can see ways of supporting both today without any RTSP
> or RTP extensions.

Server side playlists are most iteresting to me.
I'm not sure that RTSP or RTP extensions are needed, either.

> 
> > The REASON for having this clarification of the usage of RTP timestamps 
> > are RTP and RTCP itself. The RTCP based synchronization and reporting 
> > would be very confused if you did not have continuos timestamp space. IF 
> > you would go stop the RTP timestamp space during pause while RTCP keeps 
> > advancing it at the defined rate parts of the TS space will be reused 
> > and the RTCP synchronization information will be impossible to match 
> > against the RTSP synchronization information.
> 
> I have observed in conversations that opinions vary as to whether RTCP
> should continue to be sent during the PAUSE period.  Perhaps this issue
> deserves clarification?

That's definitely something to discuss as well.

geetha