Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP Transport field question

From: Aaron Colwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:58:08 -0700 (PDT)

The RTSP spec states that the client_port and server_port fields indicate
what ports the client and server are expected to receive data on. Is it
also safe to assume that the client and server will send data from these
ports as well? I didn't see anything in the spec that explicitly states
that this is the case. Could someone please clarify.

Thanks,
Aaron

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:40:45 +0200

Hi Aaron,

It is strongly encouraged that you do this. As you point out it is not 
written in the RFC 2326. We should clarify this recommendation with 
motivation in the updated specification. However I don't think we can 
mandate it. What would people say about a SHOULD?

Reasons for sending media from the respective ports that you also 
receive are: NAT traversal and Firewalls. Also source filtering needs 
this. I could understand that server manufactures desire clients to send 
RTCP from their designated port, otherwise server running many sessions 
on the same port has problems.

I don't know if all implementations do this, probably not. Any one 
knowing this?

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: Aaron Colwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:44:16 -0700 (PDT)

I think adding a SHOULD about this is fine. We should also list the
reasons you stated below so that people think of it being closer to a MUST
if they want a more robust and interoperable implementation.

Aaron