Subject: [MMUSIC] Persistent Connection

From: "Enrico Balatti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:47:53 +0200

Hi all,

in the case the RTSP server allows the client to use a TCP
persistent connection for reuest/response message transactions,
this connection will be persistent until the TEARDOWN of the session?
In other words, only the TEARDOWN of the session can close
the persistent connection?

Best Regards,
Enrico

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 16:06:09 +0200

Hi Enrico,

The expected behaviour for a server is to allow for non-persistent TCP 
connections. This meaning that a client can connect send one or more 
RTSP request and receive the responses. Then it can close the TCP 
connection and to later re-establish it. A server should not close a TCP 
connection unless it time-out. This time-out should be having the same 
duration as the RTSP session time-out. The non-persistent connections 
provide better fault tolerance if the TCP connection is lost due to lost 
NAT bindings or similar network problems.

A client it recommended to keep the TCP connection up during the whole 
session to allow for server initiated requests. A erroneous behaviour 
that exist in some servers is to remove the RTSP session if the TCP 
connection is closed. This is one further reason to keep the TCP 
connection open.

In other words there are no requirement from the client side to keep the 
  TCP connection up until after the TEARDOWN.

All this are under clarification in the work to update the RTSP 
specification, see section 9.3 in draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-04.txt.

Best Regards

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]