Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Unreliable transport and Timestamp header

From: Geetha Srikantan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:47:09 -0700

In draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-04.txt section 1.2 mentions that this
spec addresses RTSP over TCP and RTSP over an unreliable transport like
UDP have been left out deliberately.

On page 29, section 9.2 in the Reliability and Acknowledgements section
there is mention of
a Timestamp header. The sole purpose of this header seems to be for
handling unreliable transport - is that
right? If so, should the Timestamp header be removed from the spec?

thanks
geetha

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:45:00 +0200

Hi Geetha,

Just the other day I was looking over the connections chapter and 
rewrote the text regarding unreliable. However I did not change the 
requirement on implementing the Timestamp header.

- The Timestamp header can be used to determine RTT for a request.

- It is required to solve retransmission ambiguity for unreliable 
transport.

In my view it shall be required to support by server that support 
unreliable transport. For servers only supporting reliable transport 
only the request RTT case is of interest. Due to the low implementation 
complexity I don't feel that it is necessary to remove this requirement.

If you are of a different opinion please comment.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: Geetha Srikantan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:24:15 -0700

hi Magnus,

My comments inline..

> If you are of a different opinion please comment.

I agree it is a minor item..this is an issue about the scope of this
document, more than
anything else.

Are there any other items needed to address RTSP over unreliable transport?
If so, I wonder if it would help to specify either all of them here, or
none,
depending on whether this draft intends to address the issue or not.

geetha