Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Problem with Server to client requests over proxy?

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:09:10 +0200

Hi,

I think we have a serious problem with S->C requests when there is a 
proxy in the loop. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't think the 
following works in all cases.

C(lient) A <-> P(roxy) <-> S(erver)
C(lient) B <->

The proxy has multiple clients that communicate with the same server. 
There is a single persistent TCP connection between P and S as recommended.

When the server want to send a request to client A how does it ensures 
that this request reached A and not B.

If A have has an established session a stateful proxy can route the 
request to the client <-> proxy connection that established the request.

But what happens with request that are without session id? How does the 
server address that a request is for client A and not B?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Tom Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:39:53 -0700

> server address that a request is for client A and not B?

As far as I can tell, you cannot address individual clients behind a proxy
without using a Session header.

-- 
You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because
thorns have roses.
        -- Abraham Lincoln