Subject: FW: [MMUSIC] RTSP: SETUP with new url in Play state

From: Thomas Zeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:47:15 -0700

forgot to copy the mailing list when I commented on this ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Magnus Westerlund [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 11:50 PM
To: Thomas Zeng
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP: SETUP with new url in Play state

Hi Thomas

Thomas Zeng wrote:

> 
> I have a use case where my SETUP URI is actually a container file that
> points to other media files meant to be played out one by one. This is so
I
> don't have to pay the high price of creating  a composite media file.
More
> over, I might later build another "meta file" with an URI that in
represents
> a list of the first level container file, all of which meant to be played
> out in sequence, and carried over the same Transport.  
> 
> Any thoughts on such a mechanism for, say, playlist? 
> 
> 

In my eyes this is a very reasonable solution for the problem. An URI is 
after all only a pointer to something. And they are in RTSP simple used 
as abstract identifiers. Creating URI that points to the playlist and 
its media streams (e.g. audio and video) rather then the individual 
media are reasonable. As long as one uses the same codecs for all media 
files there shouldn't be any hugh problem. I think the major problems is 
if one is allowed to manipulate the playlist during the session. In that 
case the client will need some other channel to know how to seek and how 
long the complete playlist is.

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic