Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Lack of aggregated control URI means non-aggregated control

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 17:02:28 +0200

Hi,

In yesterdays telecon the issue around http://rtsp.org/bug640272
was discussed. The remaining issue is if the lack of an aggregated 
control URI in SDP means that a session "SHOULD" or "SHALL" be setup in 
non-aggregated control. Both viewpoints was expressed in Vienna and the 
the discussion needs closure. My personal view is that a SHOULD is 
sufficient. Therefore I have drafted the below text for the SETUP 
section of the RTSP draft. The URI rules are based on the ones Aravind 
drafted.

"If an Aggregate control URI is not specified in the session
description, it is probably a indication that non-aggregated
control should be used. However a client MAY try to SETUP the
session in aggregated control. If the server refuse to aggregate
the specified media, the server SHALL use the 459 error code.
If the server allows the aggregation, then the client MUST
create an URI for aggregate control of the session. This URI
MUST contain the servers host address and MUST contain the
port, if applicable (e.g. not default port). Once an URI is used
to refer to an aggregation for a given session, that URI MUST
be used to refer to that aggregation for the duration of the
session. If the contents of the aggregation change, then a
different aggregate control URI SHOULD be used."

Please give your comments.

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:13:25 +0200

Hi,

I got a comment that made me aware of the inappropriateness in my view 
of the last sentence in the below text, i.e. "If the contents of the 
aggregation change, then a different aggregate control URI SHOULD be 
used.". This sentence is not clear what it means. I think it is much 
simpler and clearer to simply require the client and server to continue 
to use the created URI for this session. Therefore I propose to remove 
the last sentence.

Best Regards

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund