Subject: [MMUSIC] Updated ICE specification

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 02:16:03 -0500

Folks,

I have submitted an update to ICE. Based on agreement at the last 
ietf, it is now a work item of MMUSIC. Until the I-D appears in the 
archives, you can pick up a copy at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-00.txt
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-00.html

There were many changes since the last revision:

* The draft is now SIP and offer/answer independent. The way I 
achieved this was to describe ICE as an abstract protocol, and then 
define mappings from that abstract protocol to concrete ones. A 
mapping is included for SIP, using the SDP alt parameter extension and 
Gonzalo's new IPV group semantic.

* The spec now mandates that a client, in addition to be configured 
with one or more relay servers (i.e., turn), needs to know which of 
those are on the public internet. This would be through configuration. 
This information is needed only for backwards compatibility with 
non-ice clients.

* In an update to TURN, I added a Send mechanism which allows relay of 
outbound requests. ICE now includes usage of this mechanism. Its 
needed for inter-enterprise calls where the media needs to pass 
through two relays, one in each domain.

* I added some text on backwads compatibility processing when the 
caller realizes that the callee doesnt support ICE.

* peer derived transport addresses learned by Sending (using the TURN 
Send primitive) a STUN request through a TURN relay have the same 
priority as turn derived transport addresses.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic