Subject: [MMUSIC] ICE Call setup latency

From: Jon Ringle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:42:47 -0400

The -03 ICE draft in Figure 2, shows the Accept message occuring before the 
STUN checks are performed. I believe that this is because the STUN checks 
can't be performed until both the Initiator and Responder have created their 
connection tables. However the Accept message seems to imply that the user 
has accepted the call. The media won't flow until the after the connectivity 
checks has selected a usable transport address. This gives me concern in that 
normally when a user Accepts a call, the user speaks a greeting (ie. 
"Hello"). The greeting could be dropped because media from the Responder 
hasn't begun yet when it is spoken.

Might I suggest that the Accept message shown as step (4) be replaced with a 
Provisional message (which for SIP could map to a 183 Early Media response). 
The connectivity checks could then be done before the user Accepts the call.

Jon

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic