Subject: [MMUSIC] Use of TIAS as alt-group-subtype in 3GPP PSS R6 media alternative s framework

From: Cristovao DaSilva <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:15:09 +0100

In Release 6 3GPP PSS  (TS 26.234) the use of the transport independent bw
modifier (TIAS) (RFC 3890) is recommended instead of AS.

However R6 PSS also introduces the media alternative framework by which the
session level grouping attribute, 'alt-group' is used to inform the PSS
client of which possible alternative media combinations are available for
the same content.

When AS is used as the alt-group-subtype (alt-group-type=BW obviously) then
the grouping value i.e. session level AS bandwidth for each combination is
enough to compute the UMTS/3G bandwidth required to carry each combination

However if TIAS is used then the grouping value, i.e the session level TIAS
bandwidth for each combination is not enough because the UMTS bandwidth also
depends on the session level maxprate (max packet rate over all media
components that compose the session) for which no alternative values can be
provided.

Is this interpretation correct or am I missing something?

Cris

________________________________________________________________________

This e-mail message (including any attachment) is intended only for the personal 
use of the recipient(s) named above. This message is confidential and may be 
legally privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or 
distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify 
us immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.

Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author only. 
Furthermore, this message (including any attachment) does not create any legally 
binding rights or obligations whatsoever, which may only be created by the exchange 
of hard copy documents signed by a duly authorised representative of Hutchison 
3G UK Limited.
________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic