Subject: [MMUSIC] Protocol Action: 'Key Management Extensions for Session Description Protocol (SDP) and Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:04:44 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Key Management Extensions for Session Description Protocol (SDP) and Real 
   Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) '
   <draft-ietf-mmusic-kmgmt-ext-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-kmgmt-ext-15.txt

Technical Summary

This document extends the Session Description Protocol (SDP) to provide a meansof tunneling a key management protocol. This key management protocol would in
turn be leveraged to secure a media stream, most likely via sRTP. One such key
management protocol envisioned for use with this mechanism is MIKEY. The overallmechanism is geared towards use with SIP and RTSP.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The advancement of this document was supported by the MMUSIC WG. It is one of
two mechanisms being advanced by MMUSIC to fill the gap left by the "k=" line
mechanism of SDP. While the WG could not achieve consensus on a single
mechanism, it is hoped that deployment experience will clarify the respective
applicability of these two approaches.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic