Subject: [MMUSIC] Re: Need text for a sub-registry in comedia-tls

From: Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:36:47 -0500

Here's some text for the IANA considerations.  Hopefully this is in time for
your teleconference.

This specification creates a new IANA registry named "Hash Function Textual
Names".

The names of hash functions used for certificate fingerprints are registered
by the IANA.  Hash functions MUST be defined by standards-track RFCs which
update or obsolete RFC 3279 [7].

When registering a new hash function textual name, the following information
MUST be provided.

   o  The textual name of the hash function.
   o  The Object Identifier (OID) of the hash function as used in X.509
      certificates.
   o  A reference to the standards-track RFC, updating or obsoleting RFC 3279[7],
      defining the use of the hash function in X.509 certificates.

Table 1 contains the initial values of this registry.

   Hash Function Name     OID                         Reference
   ------------------     ---                         ---------
   "md2"                  1.2.840.113549.2.2          RFC 3279
   "md5"                  1.2.840.113549.2.5          RFC 3279
   "sha-1"                1.3.14.3.2.26               RFC 3279
   "sha-224"              2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.4      RFC 4055
   "sha-256"              2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.1      RFC 4055
   "sha-384"              2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.2      RFC 4055
   "sha-512"              2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.3      RFC 4055

Table 1: IANA Hash Function Textual Name Registry

-- 
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 07:32:12 -0800

Jonathan,

Thank you - it's just in time, and it looks good.

I've also added a forward reference to it:

OLD:
   Following RFC 3279
   [7] as updated by RFC 4055 [9], therefore, the defined hash functions
   are 'SHA-1' [11] [19], 'SHA-224' [11], 'SHA-256' [11], 'SHA-384'
   [11], 'SHA-512' [11], 'MD5' [12], and 'MD2' [13], with 'SHA-1'
   preferred.  Additional hash functions can be defined only by
   standards-track RFCs which update or obsolete RFC 3279 [7].
NEW:
   Following RFC 3279 [7] as updated by RFC 4055 [9], the defined hash
   functions are 'SHA-1' [11] [19], 'SHA-224' [11], 'SHA-256' [11],
   'SHA-384' [11], 'SHA-512' [11], 'MD5' [12], and 'MD2' [13], with
   'SHA-1' preferred.  A new IANA registry called "Hash Function
   Textual Names," specified in Section 8, allows for addition of
   future tokens, but they may only be added to the registry if they are 
   specified in standards-track RFCs which update or obsolete RFC 3279 [7].

Allison