Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP server behind NAT

From: "Robert Hagens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:38:16 -0700

Does anyone have any thoughts about the following scenario?

The RTSP server is behind a NAT

Client is publicly routable

No ALG is deployed (to be compatible with the thousands of NATs deployed
today)

Don't want to configure port forwarding on the NAT

This problem definition has led me to imagine that SIP is used to 

negotiate the media. Via SIP I could create the situation where the 

RTSP server and client both know about an SDP that has been 

negotiated. The problem is that I can't get the RTSP transport connection
established.

If RTSP/UDP was not deprecated, that might be an option, as you could 

use something like STUN to open the UDP pinhole in the firewall to 

allow the RTSP messages in. 

I've thought about having the RTSP server initiate the TCP connection 

outbound to the client, somewhat akin to RFC 4145/draft-sip-outbound. 

That might work, but I need a way for the RTSP client to identify the 

server that just connected via TCP. (or TLS). Maybe OPTIONS ? STUN over the
transport

connection to an embedded STUN server in the client?

This may seem like a wacky scenario, but I think it could become prevalent
as

people deploy home media servers over typical residential broadband.

Thanks,

Rob

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Jose Rey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:53:30 +0100

Hi,

	No ALG is deployed (to be compatible with the thousands of NATs deployed today)

	negotiated. The problem is that I can't get the RTSP transport connection established. 

	Have you looked at 

	"How to make RTSP traverse NAT & FW" http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-nat-04.txt? 

	server that just connected via TCP. (or TLS). Maybe OPTIONS ? STUN over the transport

	This may seem like a wacky scenario, but I think it could become prevalent as

	people deploy home media servers over typical residential broadband... 

	I think so too... 

	Cheers,
	José

	I find it

	Thanks,

	Rob