Subject: [MMUSIC] draft-boulton-sip-control-framework-00

From: "Robert Hagens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:25:28 -0700

Greetings,

I am investigating the use of SIP and a control protocol for management of
media. The basic functions I need are typical VCR-like control
(play/pause/.) but I also will need other primitives (like camera control).
I have been working through scenarios of how to use SIP to negotiate the
SDP, in which one media is a control channel which in turn runs RTSP.

It occurs to me that one could use this framework to base a control package
to accomplish the VCR-like control. RTSP-lite anyone?

My question is, has anyone thought about how such a control package might
relate to a protocol like RTSP? 

In particular, I appreciate the section relating this to COMEDIA and the
potential that an external server may initiate the TCP connection. I think
this will help in a wide variety of NAT scenarios (for example, if the media
server is behind a NAT). One item that I am thinking through is how this
might work in practice. If the client sends in its SDP
(a=setup:passive<CRLF>a=connection:new), and subsequently the server
initiates the control connection back to the client, how is the client to
identify which server initiated the TCP connection (assume it was setting
two of these up in parallel)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Rob Hagens

Envysion

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic