Subject: [MMUSIC] SIP-RSTP Draft

From: "Montpetit Marie-Jose-MGIF0300" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:34:15 -0500

Attached. We missed the deadline :-( With the Winter Break here I guess
it was unavoidable. 
 
I guess we can start a discussion? Xavier Marjou and I will be at the
meeting.
 
Marie-Jose
 
Marie-Jose Montpetit, Eng. Ph.D.
Motorola Connected Home Solutions
NEW PHONE: +1-781-372-8115
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Mahesh Govind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:03:12 +0900

HI,

I have few questions here , from an implementor's point of view.

Chances are there that these may be discussed many times .

Instead of having dual stack, whether a convergence of RTSP with sip is
better?

This is because if you compare the syntax and semantics of a RTSP and SIP
message 

I think they have many things in common.

1)       Message structure

2)       Headers

3)       Message body

4)       Authorization and Authentication

5)       Problems with Nat and fire wall

Also sip provided many more things which RTSP lacks.

Why should I implement two protocols, which does some what similar job.

If you think from an endpoint perspective, where you have memory
constraints, if I can avoid

a protocol stack , I can save many things.

Another question is if I am using RTSP for media control, I have to use some
other mechanism

to fetch the details of  the media streams. 

Consider a use case of a device such as an Integrated set top box, which
provides a voip phone facility also.

For making such a device I may be using sip .SIP may be used to fetch the
program details, sip may be used to 

Make phone calls, if we can add some (missing) features to sip which will
help us to have control media streams,

I can leave with a single protocol for all the signaling purpose.

I think it may be better if we can have an apple to apple comparison with
SIP and RTSP .It may not seems to be fully

Logical, still I think it may be worth. I think such a comparison may cover

1)       Syntax

2)       Semantics

3)       Entities

4)       Issues which are common to both protocols

5)       Advantages of each one over other. 

If it is ok I can provide such a comparison.

With thanks and regards

Mahesh

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Montpetit Marie-Jose-MGIF0300 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 3:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] SIP-RSTP Draft

Attached. We missed the deadline :-( With the Winter Break here I guess it
was unavoidable. 

Marie-Jose

[email-masked]