Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] SIP-RSTP Draft

From: "Osher Hmelnizky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:37:03 +0200

I'm also speaking from the implementor's point of view, when are
speaking about using sip for call establishment, it is ok. If your call
using some media services like play video/audio announcements it is
also. If you are going to perform some voice recognition , you are going
to use MRCP2. Why? You can extend SIP to provide all MRCP logic inside.
The same is valid for RTSP. The main advantage of the contributing SIP&
RTSP together is to provide really real time streaming control (RTSP
should insert Real time inside). 

Today SIP enables you some stream control using Application Server and
various xml based protocols like MSCML/MOML/MSCP/MSML/.. , but it is far
from being real time.

Another implementor's point of view, is Media server side. If you are
using SIP/MRCP2 for voice recognition services, you may reuse the same
resource for streaming. SIP&RTSP interworking will enable real time
stream control during the open SIP session over RTSP.

You right it is some memory constraints, but the same you have today,
when SIP is used only for call establishment and rtsp only for control.

Regards

Osher

________________________________

From: Mahesh Govind [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:03 AM
To: 'Montpetit Marie-Jose-MGIF0300'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] SIP-RSTP Draft

HI,

I have few questions here , from an implementor's point of view.

Chances are there that these may be discussed many times .

Instead of having dual stack, whether a convergence of RTSP with sip is
better?

This is because if you compare the syntax and semantics of a RTSP and
SIP message 

I think they have many things in common.

1)       Message structure

2)       Headers

3)       Message body

4)       Authorization and Authentication

5)       Problems with Nat and fire wall

Also sip provided many more things which RTSP lacks.

Why should I implement two protocols, which does some what similar job.

If you think from an endpoint perspective, where you have memory
constraints, if I can avoid

a protocol stack , I can save many things.

Another question is if I am using RTSP for media control, I have to use
some other mechanism

to fetch the details of  the media streams. 

Consider a use case of a device such as an Integrated set top box, which
provides a voip phone facility also.

For making such a device I may be using sip .SIP may be used to fetch
the program details, sip may be used to 

Make phone calls, if we can add some (missing) features to sip which
will help us to have control media streams,

I can leave with a single protocol for all the signaling purpose.

I think it may be better if we can have an apple to apple comparison
with SIP and RTSP .It may not seems to be fully

Logical, still I think it may be worth. I think such a comparison may
cover

1)       Syntax

2)       Semantics

3)       Entities

4)       Issues which are common to both protocols

5)       Advantages of each one over other. 

If it is ok I can provide such a comparison.

With thanks and regards

Mahesh

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Montpetit Marie-Jose-MGIF0300 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 3:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] SIP-RSTP Draft

Attached. We missed the deadline :-( With the Winter Break here I guess
it was unavoidable. 

I guess we can start a discussion? Xavier Marjou and I will be at the
meeting.

Marie-Jose

Marie-Jose Montpetit, Eng. Ph.D.

Motorola Connected Home Solutions

NEW PHONE: +1-781-372-8115

[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic