Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Removal of ranged PAUSE requests.

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:57:16 +0100

Hi,

In the review I am conducting on the complete RTSP 2.0 specification in 
order to get it WGLC ready, I did found some overlapping functionality.

As the spec currently is written one can both use a PLAY request in play 
state and PAUSE with a range header set to a future date to halt a 
presentation in the future. I think this duplication of functionality is 
unnecessary.

I would suggest that we remove the possibility to provide a range header 
in PAUSE request. That way PAUSE will be cleaned up to be a way of 
interrupting ongoing playback directly only.

PLAY will be used to change an already ongoing PLAY request. Thus being 
a tool to modify the range provided in the initial PLAY request. For example

PLAY
range: npt=0-60

can be modified to PLAY range: npt=0-45 by:
PLAY
range: npt=-45

What does people say about this?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic