Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: 300 response URI lists

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:28:44 +0100

Hi,

The 300 Multiple Choices is currently defined by reference to HTTP spec:

10.3.1 300 Multiple Choices

    The requested resource corresponds to any one of a set of
    representations, each with its own specific location, and agent-
    driven negotiation information (section 12) is being provided so that
    the user (or user agent) can select a preferred representation and
    redirect its request to that location.

    Unless it was a HEAD request, the response SHOULD include an entity
    containing a list of resource characteristics and location(s) from
    which the user or user agent can choose the one most appropriate. The
    entity format is specified by the media type given in the Content-
    Type header field. Depending upon the format and the capabilities of
    the user agent, selection of the most appropriate choice MAY be
    performed automatically. However, this specification does not define
    any standard for such automatic selection.

    If the server has a preferred choice of representation, it SHOULD
    include the specific URI for that representation in the Location
    field; user agents MAY use the Location field value for automatic
    redirection. This response is cacheable unless indicated otherwise.

For HTTP it seems quite obvious that the server can return an HTML page 
containing the list of URIs. However that is not as obvious for RTSP. As 
I see it there are multiple questions that we should consider here:

* Is this functionality we like to have?

* Should it be intended to be used by the user or the user-agent? This 
question affects what capabilities that are needed by a format 
containing the URI list.

Please provide your input on this!

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic