Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Usage of non registered media types in examples?

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:01:15 +0100

Hi,

For example section 14.1 contains an Accept header with the media type 
"application/rtsl". This is not a registered media type. I foresee a 
problem if someone would register that type and it wouldn't make any 
sense at all to include in RTSP. Then it could create some confusion. 
The problem is that there isn't a lot of session description media types 
available. I also like to avoid using a vendor type as that could be 
considered endorsement or support for using that type.

My intention is to remove this type from the examples. In addition I 
would appreciate if someone has a good proposal for a type that we could 
use without the above problems to have two types in Accept header examples.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:17:38 -0500

Why not use application/example (application/example1, etc.)?

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:51:56 +0100

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion. However I am reluctant to do that unless they 
actually are reserved for use as examples.

Cheers

Magnus

Tom-PT Taylor wrote:
>> The problem is that there isn't a lot of session description media 
>> types available. I also like to avoid using a vendor type as that 
>> could be considered endorsement or support for using that type.
>>
>> would appreciate if someone has a good proposal for a type that we 
>> could use without the above problems to have two types in Accept 
>> header examples.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Magnus Westerlund
>>

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:41:49 +0200

Tom's idea would be really useful - like www.example.com

Why not register application/example and indeed */example and example/*
for simpler RFC writing?

It's also much, much, much easier to debug rogue example usage when
using a well known example string (cf "xmlns:fl=" in RFC 3926 vs
"xmlns=" in draft-ietf-rmt-flute-revised)

Cheers, Rod.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: ext Magnus Westerlund [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 16 March, 2006 11:52
>To: Tom-PT Taylor
>Cc: mmusic (E-mail)
>Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Usage of non registered media 
>types in examples?
>
>Hi Tom,
>
>Thanks for the suggestion. However I am reluctant to do that 
>unless they actually are reserved for use as examples.
>
>Cheers
>
>Magnus
>
>Tom-PT Taylor wrote:
>>> For example section 14.1 contains an Accept header with the media 
>>> type "application/rtsl". This is not a registered media type. I 
>>> foresee a problem if someone would register that type and 
>it wouldn't 
>>> make any sense at all to include in RTSP. Then it could 
>create some confusion.

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:47:37 -0500

I'll have a go at writing up a registration.

> "xmlns=" in draft-ietf-rmt-flute-revised)
...

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:39:33 +0100

Thanks,

I agree that a example media type would be good.

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:39:54 +0100

Thanks,

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:47:29 +0100

Hi,

We should discuss if this should be a tree, rather than a type for which 
any subtype that is written like "application/example.something" would 
be valid but not registerable and only have the status of being an 
example. We should probably discuss if this should be registered for all 
media types rather than just application.

If you don't know what a tree in the media types are please review RFC 4288.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:05:05 -0500

I've taken Rod's suggestion and proposed to the media list that we 
register example as a top-level media type in the standards tree, as 
well as audio/example, application/example, video/example, etc.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:12:46 +0200

Probably both the type "example" and the tree "example.*" should be
covered. I guess the I-D/RFC needs to explicitly that that subtypes (the
"something" in Magnus's email) are not registered and any substypes may
be used as examples. (Maybe "/prs.example" and "/x.example" could be in
scope too)

Likewise, the "example/*" case could be covered - for "media type
independent" examples.

Cheers, Rod.

>Sent: 17 March, 2006 17:47
>To: Magnus Westerlund
>Cc: Tom-PT Taylor; Walsh Rod (Nokia-NRC/Tampere); [email-masked]
>We should discuss if this should be a tree, rather than a type 
>for which any subtype that is written like 
>"application/example.something" would be valid but not 
>registerable and only have the status of being an example. We 
>should probably discuss if this should be registered for all

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:15:02 -0500

I'm not sure about those faceted cases. How often will standards 
documentation refer to types outside of the standards tree? And 
/x.example is out because no subtype in the experimental tree can be 
registered.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:02:56 +0200

Tom - you're right. Registration of those wouldn't be helpful (I was
thinking out loud with fingers on the keyboard).

It might be helpful to provide a couple of lines of informative text (in
the registration RFC) which suggests the string "example" in examples
outside of standards tree. After all, it's about making it easier to
used example cases and also discover when an example use is a bug (see
earlier refs).

Cheers, Rod.

>From: ext Tom-PT Taylor [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 21 March, 2006 06:15
>To: Walsh Rod (Nokia-NRC/Tampere)
>Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>I'm not sure about those faceted cases. How often will 
>standards documentation refer to types outside of the 
>standards tree? And /x.example is out because no subtype in 
>the experimental tree can be registered.
>
>> covered. I guess the I-D/RFC needs to explicitly that that subtypes 
>> (the "something" in Magnus's email) are not registered and any 
>> substypes may be used as examples. (Maybe "/prs.example" and 
>> "/x.example" could be in scope too)
>> 
>>>Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Usage of non registered media types in 
>>>examples?
>>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>We should discuss if this should be a tree, rather than a type for 
>>>which any subtype that is written like 
>"application/example.something" 
>>>would be valid but not registerable and only have the status 
>of being 
>>>an example. We should probably discuss if this should be registered 
>>>for all media types rather than just application.
>>>
>>>If you don't know what a tree in the media types are please 
>review RFC 
>>>4288.
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>
>>>Magnus Westerlund
>>>