Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: dest_addr in SETUP response

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:45:31 +0100

Hi,

The dest_addr parameter for the Transport header can be either 
completely excluded or be included with only ports. In either of those 
cases should the response include the actual address used by the server 
as destination? The benefit of doing this would be to allow the client 
or a proxy to verify the destination address used. Thus allowing the 
client to detect some error cases, like if it is behind a NAT but didn't 
think so. This is also inline with the following paragraph from 11.3 
(SETUP) but applies in the other direction than what is specified:

    For the benefit of any intervening firewalls, a client SHALL indicate
    the known transport parameters, even if it has no influence over
    these parameters, for example, where the server advertises a fixed
    multicast address as destination.

My proposal is to add a paragraph to the dest_addr specification saying 
that the responder shall include the address that it will use, in case 
the address part was left blank.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic