Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Indicating cachability by Expires header

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:06:18 +0100

Hi,

The Expires header (Section 14.22 contains the below paragraph:

     Expires header field with a date value of some time in the
     future on a media stream that otherwise would by default be
     non- cacheable indicates that the media stream is
     cacheable, unless indicated otherwise by a Cache-Control
     header field (Section 14.10).

Is there any purpose for this in RTSP, or could we remove this statement 
and instead rely on the Cache-Control header? I get the impression that 
this is error prone as a lack of synchronized clocks could result in 
that the expires header gets a strange date. Thus resulting not only in 
that it will expire at the wrong time, but in addition that some proxy 
cache the content. I think indicating this explicit using cache-control 
would be better.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic