Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] SIP-RTSP Draft

From: "Montpetit Marie-Jose-MGIF0300" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:00:04 -0500

I do not think anyone has suggested "replacing" RTSP :-) Just
investigate how to make both SIP and RTSP interwork better. And yes if
we find "holes" we'll see what we do then.

Thanks

/mjm

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Singer [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 7:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] SIP-RTSP Draft

It may be that there are some odd use cases when (say) a SIP phone call
is then broadcast ("and on the phone with us we have Colin from the
IETF...") or when a piece of broadcast content would be relayed over a
phone call ("hey, Magnus, listen to this internet content I
found") but in both cases there are lots of other issues that arise
outside the question of matching the signalling protocol.

If SIP were dramatically simpler than RTSP, or avoided some of the
problems (e.g. firewall/NAT traversal with RTP, which they both use) it
might be attractive.

I fully support the idea of doing a feature comparison, if only because
it may throw up 'holes' in one or other of the two protocols. 
But in general I have to say that RTSP seems to work quite well for
streaming and the streaming community (ISMA, 3GPP and so on) and I'm not
sure I am ready to see it 'replaced' without stronger motivation and use
cases.

Interesting to think about, too.

p.s. I fixed the email thread title to spell RTSP as RTSP not RSTP. 
I hadn't noticed it before because of the title, sorry...
--
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic