Subject: [MMUSIC] SIP-RTSP: reuse of MRCP, BFCP or MSRP?

From: "Xavier Marjou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:27:32 +0200

Hi,

> draft-whitehead-mmusic-sip-for-streaming-media-01.txt
> Marie-Jose Montpetit discussed use of SIP for streaming media, with an
> outline of the rationale for using SIP to signal RTSP sessions, the use
> cases, and the derived requirements.
> Dave Oran asked if the authors have considered MRCP for media control?
> Rohan Mahy agreed, noting similarities to the proposal, and suggesting
> the authors include MRCP in their requirements analysis.

As noted in the minutes, the feedback from last IETF meeting was to 
consider MRCP to transport VCR commands (aka trick-play signaling).

Despite the fact that MRCP works with SIP and SDP, which is not (yet?) the 
case of RTSP, I do not see any reason why MRCP (or BFCP, or MSRP) would be 
better suited than RTSP itself. Indeed, an important part of the 191-page 
RTSPv2 draft consists in defining VCR "commands" (eg: PLAY, PAUSE), VCR 
"attributes" (eg: Scale and Range), as well as many other details. I think 
that redifining them in another protocol would be a huge redundant work.

Xavier

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic