Subject: [MMUSIC] ICE Issue #8: Connectivity preconditions useful with ICE?

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:11:14 -0400

At this point in time, I'm fairly hazy on what benefit connectivity 
preconditions bring when used with ICE. ICE-10 (and several previous 
versions) discuss how the UAS can avoid ringing the phone until ICE 
checks complete. This would appear to have the same effect as 
connectivity preconditions but without any extra protocol machinery.

So, the question is, should we say this? If there are benefits, can 
anyone think of one?

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:45:37 +0200

Hi,

I sent a separate e-mail ("ICE-10: SIP Interaction with preconditions")
regarding preconditions. I should probably have replied to this mail
instead. Sorry for that. 

My point in that mail is that preconditions may not necessarily be
related to end-to-end connectivity, but to local resource reservation,
and that you may not even retrieve all possible candidates before those
resources have been met.

I do support the text saying that a UAS could avoid alterting the user
before the ICE checks are done, and I agree that we don't need the
preconditions mechanism for that.

Regards,

Christer

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 12. syyskuuta 2006 18:11
> To: IETF MMUSIC WG
> Subject: [MMUSIC] ICE Issue #8: Connectivity preconditions 
> useful with ICE?
> 
> At this point in time, I'm fairly hazy on what benefit 
> connectivity preconditions bring when used with ICE. ICE-10 
> (and several previous
> versions) discuss how the UAS can avoid ringing the phone 
> until ICE checks complete. This would appear to have the same 
> effect as connectivity preconditions but without any extra 
> protocol machinery.
> 
> So, the question is, should we say this? If there are 
> benefits, can anyone think of one?
> 
> -Jonathan R.
> --

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:49:44 -0400

> and that you may not even retrieve all possible candidates before those

I'm referring specifically to connectivity preconditions in this open 
issue.

> preconditions mechanism for that.

Right. So the question is, are there any cases where connectivity 
preconditions are useful with ICE when ICE is configured to work this way?

-Jonathan R.