Subject: [MMUSIC] ICE Open Issue #13: When to send media

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:58:53 -0400

I got a lot of comments that people had a beef with the way ICE-10 
specifies media handling.

It says that, one ICE completes, the answerer can send media to the 
offerer, but only for some amount of seconds after the next opportunity 
for a reinvite. If, when the reinvite shows up, the m/c-lines don't 
match, media ceases. THe offerer has to wait for the updated reinvite to 
send media.

THe problems that were raised with this were:

1. for the use case where a user dials a toll-free number that goes to 
an ICE-enabled PSTN GW, and the entire call proceeds as early media, 
this would prevent media (like 2833 DTMF) from the caller to the GW. 
That is a problem.

2. Having the media simply cease will be hard to diagnose

My updated proposal would be this:

Once ICE is done, both offerer and answerer are able to send media to 
the highest priority candidates, even if they don't match the m/c-line. 
They may do so for some amount of time after the next opportunity for an 
updated offer. If the updated offer never comes, media reverts to the 
m/c-line address. If it comes, but the m/c-line and/or remote-candidates 
don't match what the answerer thought it was, the answerer reverts to 
the m/c-line and remote-candidates.

This addresses both issues above.

Comments?

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic