Subject: [MMUSIC] ICE-10: Offer/answer procedures for adding new media components

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:32:48 +0200

Hi,

In chapter 9, I wonder if it would be a good idea to also include some
words about the procedures when new streams (or stream components) are
added, and what candidates etc shall be included then.

Maybe it's possible to do it by simply refering to text in existing
chapters (e.g. chapters 4 and 5)?

Regards,

Christer
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:58:53 -0400

You wouldn't normally add stream components; thats more like a fixed 
property of the stream type. Certainly you can add media streams. It 
would be a good idea to mention what happens - you start testing for 
those streams.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:04:13 +0200

Hi, 

>You wouldn't normally add stream components; thats more like a fixed
property of the stream type. Certainly you can add 
>media streams. It would be a good idea to mention what happens - you
start testing for those streams.

Yes, I think it would be good to add some text about that.

Also, the draft now talks about initial offers and subsequent offers,
from a session perspective. 

But, from a ICE perspective I don't think it really matters whether an
offer is the initial or subsequent within a session. What matters is
whether a specific stream component exist for the first time or not
within a specific offer. I.e. you include include this and that
information (candidates etc) the first time you offer a specific
component, and then you include this and that information in the
subsequent offers where the same component exists. Or?

Regards,

Christer

---

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:04:36 -0400

> subsequent offers where the same component exists. Or?

My own interpretation/generalization of Christer's proposal is:
     The ICE specification should state two things:
     1) The initial conditions before any offers or answers are  
received, AND
     2) The changes that happen when an offer or answer is received.

In other words, receiving the INITIAL offer or answer should not  be  
a special case,
but just an instance of receiving ANY offer or answer.

Comments?

- Philip

PS. The draft that Eric Cooper and I wrote describing proposed  
changes to the ICE-08 state machine
     http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-matthews-mmusic-ice- 
eliminating-duplicates-00.txt
was structured in this manner.