Subject: [MMUSIC] ICE-10: A couple of keepalive questions

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:19:20 +0200

Hi, 

I have a coupld of keepalive questions for clarification:

1. Where are the keepalive STUN requests sent? When I read the spec it
seems like they are sent end-to-end (chapter 10 says: "STUN connectivity
checks are also used to keep NAT bindings open once a session is
underway."). But, wouldn't it be enough to simply send them to the STUN
server from which the candidate was retrieved?

2. Is there a need to send STUN keepalives on host candicate streams?

Regards,

Christer
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 12:40:36 -0400

> server from which the candidate was retrieved?

They are sent end to end along the exact same path as the media.

They are not send to the stun server. This is not sufficient to keep 
intermediate bindings alive, and the appropriate permissions are not 
refreshed.

> 2. Is there a need to send STUN keepalives on host candicate streams?

In -10 they should be sent to whatever candidate pairs remain from the 
candidate attributes each side has sent. This will be equivalent to the 
candidate pairs corresponding to the m/c-line.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com