Subject: [MMUSIC] Communicating Final ICE results

From: "Derek MacDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 16:03:47 -0700

Communicating ICE final results

Using signaling to convey updated ice results has been contentious, to say
the least.  Another force on this is the desire for architectural separation
between the signaling and media components of ice aware devices. An
alternate approach would be:

.           The controlling endpoint would signal the completion of ice by
sending a new stun request, ice-done, which also lists the local and remote
candidates that have been selected.

.           The controlling endpoint MAY send an updated offer but this is
based on deployment specific policy, and is not required for ice processing.

This would allow:

*	devices to converge on symmetric RTP streams as quickly as possible,
even in the earl-media fedex case
*	less SIP signaling traffic in the network, which is important to
many deployments(ice doubles the invite transactions in a network)

Non-IMS deployments will not usually require an updated o/a exchange but do
want to agree on the ice result, and stop ice processing.  In IMS networks
an m/c line mismatch will not occur so the updated offer could be used to
inform the network without issue.  The additional cost of the ice-done
transaction is minimal.

-Derek

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic