Subject: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-12

From: EKR <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:28:17 -0800

$Id: draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-12-rev.txt,v 1.1 2006/10/30 02:31:02 ekr Exp $

A few notes on ICE-12.

As I understand the USE-CANDIDATE flag, there are two ways things
can happen.

1. The controlling agent (henceforth CoA) can include the
   USE-CANDIDATE flag in one (or more) of his initial periodic checks
   and when that check concludes the component is automatically
   done.

2. The CoA can complete (or give up on) all of his periodic checks
   and then do a *new* check on one of the components that succeeded.

Do I have this correct? If so, I think that you should be a little
clearer earlier on that one may receive duplicate checks. I would
advise doing this by adding the following to the end of S 9, para 2.
"Note, an implementation may choose to complete all possible checks
and then choose the best one (given some metric). In this case,
it will send initial checks without the USE-CANDIDATE flag and
then a second check on a single candidate using the USE-CANDIDATE
flag."

As I understand it, candidates should only be "selected" once checks
have succeeded in the direction you want to send.  I.e., if you're not
the CoA and the first request you see contains a USE-CANDIDATE flag,
you do a triggered check and only select the candidate upon receipt of
the response. Is this right? That's what Figure 10 seems to show. If
it is, Figure 4 is kind of misleading. I guess it's supposed to show
approach (1) above, but...  

Figure 10 should indicate that msg 10 has the USE-CANDIDATE flag set.

-Ekr

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:57:22 -0500

Thanks for the read and your comments. Responses below.

>    and when that check concludes the component is automatically

Right.

>    and then do a *new* check on one of the components that succeeded.

Right.

> then a second check on a single candidate using the USE-CANDIDATE

Added. I think its more than a note; that first may is a MAY.

> the response. Is this right?

Right.

> That's what Figure 10 seems to show. If

Right. I clarified that in the text.

done.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com