Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP-NAT: Support for multiple components per media stream

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:26:38 +0100

Hi RTSP NAT interested!

In the work of defining the details for the media NAT traversal solution 
for RTSP controlled sessions we need some feedback.

One of the complexities in ICE is the support for multiple components 
per media stream and that is primarily due to the Frozen mechanism. This 
is need for example to support RTP and RTCP. With the usage RTCP MUX 
(draft-ietf-avt-rtp-and-rtcp-mux) this requirement may be possible to 
remove. So the question is:

Are there any other than RTP used media transport protocol that requires 
multiple components per media stream (RTSP URI)?

Jonathan Rosenberg's NICE draft kicks out the Frozen algorithm with the 
assumption that there are only a single component and also a single 
media stream. With RTSP there will always be the possibility of multiple 
media streams. However, we are also consider to trade implementation 
simplicity for a slight cut in performance. To avoid creating congestion 
inducing bursts between the media stream there would be a requirement to 
use a single common connectivity check pacer between all media streams 
in a RTSP session. We have not data for how much performance effects 
this change would have.

Answers to the question or other comments on the proposal are highly 
appreciated.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic