Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: SDP allowed in response of SETUP?

From: "Xavier Marjou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:44:16 +0200

Hi,

Instead of using mechanisms such as HTTP or RTSP DESCRIBE to retrieve
the SDP, I've seen some implementations with SDP in the response of
the RTSP SETUP.

Is this allowed in RTSP?

Cheers,
Xavier

PS: In RFC2326 (RTSPv1), I do not find any text indicating that this
is forbidden, but no text either stating that this is intentionally
allowed.
In draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-18, I see that Table 10 currently
prevents the use of Content-Type in the response of SETUP, which means
that such a thing would not be possible.
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:55:53 +0300

>From RFC2326 §10.2:

     Media initialization is a requirement for any RTSP-based system,
     but the RTSP specification does not dictate that this must be done
     via the DESCRIBE method. There are three ways that an RTSP client
     may receive initialization information:

     * via RTSP's DESCRIBE method;
     * via some other protocol (HTTP, email attachment, etc.);
     * via the command line or standard input (thus working as a browser
       helper application launched with an SDP file or other media
       initialization format).

RTSP's SETUP is not RTSP's DESCRIBE. It is not some other protocol, and it is 
not the command line or standard input. Hence it is not an allowed way 
to "receive initialization information" in my understanding.

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Maemo Software, Nokia Devices R&D
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic