Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Expires header affect on cachability

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:17:28 +0100

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=377744&aid=2211817&group_id=23194

>From the open issues in the draft:

The Expires header (Section 16.22 contains the below paragraph:

        Expires header field with a date value of some time in the
        future on a media stream that otherwise would by default be non-
        cacheable indicates that the media stream is cacheable, unless
        indicated otherwise by a Cache-Control header field
        (Section 16.10).

Is there any purpose for this in RTSP, or could we remove this statement
and instead rely on the Cache-Control header?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: Magnus Westerlund (magwes)
Date: 2008-10-31 15:15

Message:
My personal view on this is that it is an unnecessary complication to
have expires affect if a content is cachable or not. The expires header
provides when content becomes stale. I suggest that we remove this
paragraph.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Färögatan 6                | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic