Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Open Ranges

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:26:37 +0100

Hi,

This is to discuss the following issues submitted by Christian Haas:
https://sourceforge.net/support/tracker.php?aid=2038471

> Ranges may have an open start time (e.g.: "npt=-40") that refer to the
> current play/pause position to be used as start.
> (A sidenote: The ABNFs of the ranges don't have the first time optional)
> 
> Ranges may also be open ended (e.g.: "npt=0-") requesting to play until the
> end, whenever that is.
> 
> As a result, a 'fully' open range could be valid as well (e.g.: "npt=-"),
> meaning "Play from wherever the position is now until the end of the
> presentation, whenever that is".
> Thinking further, would then there be a difference between "npt=-" and
> "npt=now-"? As a result, the "now" constant could be dropped.

First, the current ABNF says the following:

  ranges-spec          =  npt-range / utc-range / smpte-range
                       /  range-ext
   smpte-range        =  smpte-type "=" smpte-range-spec
                         ; See section 3.4
   smpte-range-spec   =  ( smpte-time "-" [ smpte-time ] )
                      /  ( "-" smpte-time )

   npt-range        =  "npt=" npt-range-spec
   npt-range-spec   =  ( npt-time "-" [ npt-time ] ) / ( "-" npt-time )

   utc-range        =  "clock=" utc-range-spec
   utc-range-spec   =  ( utc-time "-" [ utc-time ] ) / ( "-" utc-time )

Which allows either: either value-, value-value or -value. It does not
allow just -.

I would also like to point out that there is a difference between now
and no value. No value reference the current pause-point. While now is
the currently ongoing time. In a time-progressing session with recording
(retention for some or full time) the pause point may be 2 min into the
session while now could be 1 hour into the session.

So in my mind - would mean from pause point until end. But that is
equivalent to no Range header. So we already have that functionality.

I would propose no change as a resolution.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Färögatan 6                | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "HAAS Christian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:43:46 +0100

Hello!

From: Magnus Westerlund [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> session while now could be 1 hour into the session.

I second the idea of putting this paragraph into the spec.

> equivalent to no Range header. So we already have that functionality.

Yes - sorry, I simply didn't think of that option.

> I would propose no change as a resolution.

Thank you - I hadn't thought the issue through enough.

Regards,
ch
____________________________________________________
Christian Haas
Team DIVOS, Software Engineer
FREQUENTIS AG

Innovationsstraße 1, 1100 Vienna, Austria
Phone   +43-1-811 50 - 8353
Mobile   +43-664-60 850 - 8353
Fax       +43-1-811 50 - 77 8353
Web      www.frequentis.com
E-Mail    [email-masked]
 
Handelsgericht Wien (Vienna Commercial Court): FN 72115 b
DVR 0364797, ATU 14715600
____________________________________________________
Diese E-Mail könnte vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen
enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail
irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und
vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte
Weitergabe dieser E-Mail sind nicht gestattet.
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please
notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised
copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
strictly forbidden.