Subject: [MMUSIC] draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-tcp-07

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:58:44 -0700

I was reading the part about there being NATs where active will work  
but sim-open fails. I fully believe this but was having a hard time  
imagining it. Can we explain more about this scenario and what is  
going on.

I'm really worried about implementing the 4571 shim between TCP and  
TLS. This is pretty major changes to how TLS libraries were designed  
to be used. It seems the only reason we are doing this is so that STUN  
can be used to verify the correct node was connected to but it seems  
like the TLS handshake could fill that purpose. Anyways, I don't know  
what we should do here but it is an area that I wish we had more input  
from people that had implemented this.

I spent 30 minutes trying to decipher the 3rd paragraph in section 3.4  
about the SDP usage when doing SRTP actually means for implementations  
and finally gave up. The text may actually be fine but I just ran out  
of time to figure it out and it struck me that I may not be the most  
confused person on this.

Cullen in my individual contributor role

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:59:37 +0200

> from people that had implemented this.

The conclusion a year back was that most if not all TLS stacks support custom 
I/O sinks.

I agree that the TLS handshake ought to provide sufficient authentication. 
Then the issue is, do we convey RTP, or something else? For RTP, we don't 
need a new shim. For non-RTP, we may need a keep-alive mechanism. Although my 
preference would go to TCP keep-alives, I'm afraid they can't be configured 
on some platforms. An alternative is to leave it up to the higher layer 
protocol, and do away with the shim.

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Maemo Software, Nokia Devices R&D
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic