Subject: [MMUSIC] comments on draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-09

From: Hadriel Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 00:51:05 -0500

Howdy,
Below are some comments on the latest draft...

1) Section 5.1, page 5: The ABNF says it's based on RFC 4234, but uses the word "space" when it should use "SP", and the symbol "|" when it should be a "/".  (maybe you mean the ABNF in RFC 2327, but 4234 is the new white meat ;)
Also, the ABNF is rather klunky, for such a simple concept.  Why not just have:
    loopback-type          = loopback-choices / loopback-type-start
    loopback-choices       = loopback-choice [1*SP loopback-choice]
    loopback-choice        = loopback-type-pkt / loopback-type-media
    loopback-type-pkt      = "rtp-pkt-loopback"
    loopback-type-media    = "rtp-media-loopback"
    loopback-type-start    = "rtp-start-loopback"

2) Section 5.1, page 5/6, says the rtp-start-loopback "type" is used and gives the rules thereof.  The text seems confusing, and so does having to have another m= line for it.  Since it is not really of the same conceptual type as rtp-pkt-loopback and rtp-media-loopback, and really not a loopback at all, and can't be in the same attribute as the other two but one of the other two has to exist, why isn't it actually a separate attribute altogether?  And give it its own binding name so it can just be another rtpmap payload-type of the same m= line?
For example, this could be an offer:
       m=audio 41352 RTP/AVP 112 113
       a=loopback:rtp-pkt-loopback
       a=loopback-source:0 8
       a=rtp-start  <--[if that's even necessary]
       a=rtpmap:112 rtpstart/8000
       a=rtpmap:113 rtploopback/8000

That way you don't need two m= media lines, and the ABNF and text around the rtp-start thing can be simpler.
(and sorry if this has been discussed already)

-hadriel

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic