Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Removal of support for multiple ranges in the Range header?

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:36:50 +0100

>From a email by Rémi Denis-Couront:

>
> | 13.4.1.  General Usage
> | (...) Range: npt=10-15, npt=20-25, npt=30-
>
> I never really understood the need for multiple ranges. It's
impossible to
> support this with a user-grade interface. And for advanced uses, I
don't see
> the advantage over using multiple PLAY requests (I do see the big
> inconvenience that it's a burden for server vendors to implement, and
in fact
> our RTSP server never supported this and will continue to ignore such
> requests).

This functionality was a replacement of the severely broken mechanism
for queued play. I actually like to know if anyone has a need for this.

As I see it we have couple of different choices:

A. keep the functionality as currently specified required for all.

B. Make support for multiple ranges an optional feature with a feature tag

C. Remove multiple ranges completely

Please provide your input and preferably a motivation why.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:41:27 +0200

> C. Remove multiple ranges completely

I'd suggest mixing B and C: Remove it for now, and then someone who cares 
rewrites it as a negotiated extension.

IMHO, that makes life simpler for everybody. Those who don't care, don't need 
to, and those who do won't have to cope with would-be broken implementations 
of the earlier ones.

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Maemo Software, Nokia Devices R&D
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Joe Pallas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:05:24 -0800

> to, and those who do won't have to cope with would-be broken  

I agree.  I've never heard of an implementation that actually  
supports multiple ranges.  When I think about how they might be  
useful, I generally wind up with "as a poor substitute for a session  
playlist," which doesn't sound like a good reason for a feature.

joe

---

From: Sean Sheedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 13:50:39 -0800

> C. Remove multiple ranges completely

I'll add a third call for removing it from the base and letting it be
added as an extension if anyone ever develops a pressing need for it.
I'm not aware of any of our deployments needing multiple ranges.

Sean

~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--
Sean Sheedy
Staff System Software Engineer, Media and Communications Systems
[email-masked] | 503-531-6427 (Phone)
~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--~--