Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP 2.0 status

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:12:27 +0100

Hi,

We authors had the goal to provide a new draft version before new year.
This has not happened due to one major reason, namely RFC 5378.

If you missed the intensive discussion on this subject on [email-masked]
list, the issue is that you as author when submitting a document using
the new IPR rules needs to grand additional rights to the IETF trust.
However, for documents that has text contributions from people beyond
they authors, the author needs to ensure that these rights are provided
from these contributors also. This can be problematic as the copyright
of ones work commonly belong to our employers.

We have been working on obtaining these rights for all that has directly
contributed text to RTSP. This has been quite successful and are to my
knowledge currently missing only the rights from Real Networks. However,
the sad story is that this will not be sufficient to submit the draft.
RTSP 2.0 contains numerous paragraphs of text that is copied from HTTP
(RFC 2068 or RFC 2616) and then adapted for RTSP. The problem with HTTP
is that is has a very long list of contributors and the chance of
success to acquire those rights in a timely manor are slim. Martin and I
have discussed the alternatives and we need this text in the document
for RTSP 2.0 to be understandable.

Fortunately there are some hope, the trust are working on providing a
work around until an updated version of RFC 5378 can be written.
Hopefully this workaround will be available before draft submission
cut-off for San Francisco. Thus allowing us to submit the draft for your
review and discussion in San Francisco.

We where also slightly behind on closing the open issues and we are
continuing to work on these to ensure that we have a draft in good shape
when we can submit it.

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic