Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Server behaviour for 413 Request Entity Too Large

From: "Martin Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:43:05 +0100

Hi all,

I'm changing parts of the RTSP spec from the old notation of referencing HTTP (like see [H.x.Y]) to include the text. The text is taken from the HTTP spec (RFC 2616) and adapted to fit RTSP. Adapted, as the original HTTP often says, e.g., "The PUT method", which is not applicable to RTSP. 

In this process, I have added a section describing the 413 error code ("Request Entity Too Large ") and taken the text from RFC 2616. This section says:

***
The server is refusing to process a request because the request message body is larger than the server is willing or able to process. The server MAY close the connection to prevent the client from continuing the request.

If the condition is temporary, the server SHOULD include a Retry- After header field to indicate that it is temporary and after what time the client MAY try again.
***

Now my question: Do you see it also appropriate for the RTSP server to close the connection in this case?  My opinion is yes, as there is no other way of keeping the server from being overloaded.

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014

---

From: "Jaehwan Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:51:53 +0900

Hi,
IMO, typical case is what Martin mentioned.
Just I guess the proposed text allows using Retry-After header as well.
And the session would sustain if the request method does not change
session state. It looks true in both persistent and non-persistent
connection.
Therefore, connection close might not be expected at all cases. i.e. the
given sentence using "MAY" is no problem.

I guess main usecase would be GET_PARAMETER or SET_PARAMETER but famous
methods might be also able to send message body in a RTSP extension.

And, Table 11 for Retry-After should be updated...

Regards,
Jaehwan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Martin Stiemerling
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Server behaviour for 413 Request Entity Too
Large

Hi all,

I'm changing parts of the RTSP spec from the old notation of referencing
HTTP (like see [H.x.Y]) to include the text. The text is taken from the
HTTP spec (RFC 2616) and adapted to fit RTSP. Adapted, as the original
HTTP often says, e.g., "The PUT method", which is not applicable to
RTSP. 

In this process, I have added a section describing the 413 error code
("Request Entity Too Large ") and taken the text from RFC 2616. This
section says:

***
The server is refusing to process a request because the request message
body is larger than the server is willing or able to process. The server
MAY close the connection to prevent the client from continuing the
request.

If the condition is temporary, the server SHOULD include a Retry- After
header field to indicate that it is temporary and after what time the
client MAY try again.
***

Now my question: Do you see it also appropriate for the RTSP server to
close the connection in this case?  My opinion is yes, as there is no
other way of keeping the server from being overloaded.

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road,
London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014 

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Martin Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:33:29 +0100

Ok, took out my editor's note on this and also added 413 to the tables 10 & 12, where Retry-After is listed as extra row.

  Martin

[email-masked]

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Martin Stiemerling
> Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:43 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> I'm changing parts of the RTSP spec from the old notation of
> referencing HTTP (like see [H.x.Y]) to include the text. The text is
> taken from the HTTP spec (RFC 2616) and adapted to fit RTSP. Adapted,
> as the original HTTP often says, e.g., "The PUT method", which is not
> applicable to RTSP.
> 
> body is larger than the server is willing or able to process. The
> server MAY close the connection to prevent the client from continuing
> the request.
>