Subject: [MMUSIC] RFC 5432 on Quality of Service (QoS) Mechanism Selection in the Session Description Protocol (SDP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:00:28 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5432

        Title:      Quality of Service (QoS) Mechanism 
                    Selection in the Session Description Protocol 
                    (SDP) 
        Author:     J. Polk, S. Dhesikan, G. Camarillo
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 17614
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mmusic-qos-identification-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5432.txt

The offer/answer model for the Session Description Protocol (SDP)
assumes that endpoints somehow establish the Quality of Service (QoS)
required for the media streams they establish.  Endpoints in closed
environments typically agree out-of-band (e.g., using configuration
information) regarding which QoS mechanism to use.  However, on the Internet, there is more than one QoS service available.  Consequently, there is a need for a mechanism to negotiate which QoS mechanism to use for a particular media stream.  This document defines such a mechanism.  
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute