Subject: [MMUSIC] New ID on traffic classification of SDP sessions

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:41:05 -0500

I recently submitted an ID on traffic classification of SDP sessions, 
and more specifically RTP traffic classification.  It is a simple 8 
page ID here,

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-mmusic-service-class-for-sdp-00.txt 

The ID's purpose is to, in signaling, classify the type of traffic 
within the session.  For voice alone, this really wouldn't be 
necessary, but with video, it is necessary - given the number of 
different video applications, e.g., from multimedia streaming to 
broadcast video to real-time interactive multimedia 
conferencing.  Each of these terms were described in RFC 4594. This 
doc proposes a new attribute to simply classify in signaling which 
type of traffic will be in the session being established. This is 
proposed in SDP because this protocol has per m-line granularity.

I've already received valuable feedback of an error in this ID, 
calling the traffic classification a "service class" (or 
'servclass'), which was my under appreciation (!) of how (at least) 
some feel about the term 'service' and what that means to many. I've 
already corrected this in the next version of this ID.  This is a 
traffic classification ID, so the attribute going forward will be 
"trafficclass". I ask that this be how readers treat the attribute 
(and term) as 'servclass' now.

Comments are appreciated

James