Subject: [MMUSIC] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4566 (2517)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 00:04:22 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4566,
"SDP: Session Description Protocol".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4566&eid=2517

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Victor S. Osipov <[email-masked]>

Section: 5.14

Original Text
-------------
If the <proto> sub-field is "RTP/AVP" or "RTP/SAVP" the <fmt> 
sub-fields contain RTP payload type numbers.  When a list of 
payload type numbers is given, this implies that all of these 
payload formats MAY be used in the session, but the first of these 
formats SHOULD be used as the default format for the session.

Corrected Text
--------------
If the <proto> sub-field is "RTP/AVP" or "RTP/SAVP" the <fmt> 
sub-fields contain RTP payload type numbers.  When a list of 
payload type numbers is given, this implies that all of these 
payload formats MAY be used in the session, and these payload 
formats are listed in order of preference, with the first format listed 
being preferred; in that case the first acceptable payload format 
from the beginning of the list SHOULD be used for the session.

Notes
-----
The word ‘default‘ is improper here, because payload format is not implied, but explicitly indicated. This may lead to a misunderstanding and confusion.
The corrections are proposed in order to avoid confusion and to give complete clear instructions in case of multiple payload type numbers indicated.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC4566 (draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-new-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : SDP: Session Description Protocol
Publication Date    : July 2006
Author(s)           : M. Handley, V. Jacobson, C. Perkins
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Area                : Real-time Applications and Infrastructure
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG