Subject: [MMUSIC] WG poll on 3dformat and parallax drafts following recent IPR declarations

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 18:35:56 -0500

Hello MMUSIC group

Following the initial submission and WG presentation of the 3dformat and 
parallax drafts, the WG expressed an interest in working on these topics 
and milestones were added to the MMUSIC charter. At the last IETF, the 
chairs polled the group for interest in adopting

draft-greevenbosch-mmusic-signal-3d-format-02

and

draft-greevenbosch-mmusic-parallax-attribute-01

as WG items for these milestones. A WG hum indicated support in the room 
for doing so, and hence they were adopted and resubmitted as WG drafts.

At the time, there was no known IPR on either of these drafts, however 
the authors' affiliated company has subsequently submitted IPR 
declarations for both of these drafts. Since the 3dformat and parallax 
drafts were adopted as WG items without knowledge of the potential IPR 
issue, the chairs would like to sense the group for whether it still 
wishes to have these as WG items.

The IPR declarations on the drafts are as follows:

1) draft-ietf-mmusic-signal-3d-format-00 had a Huawei IPR declaration 1673:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1673/

which points to the following patent application: 
http://ip.com/sipoen/102137298

Apparently this patent application was filed on March 2nd, 201 and the 
first version of this draft was published as 
draft-greevenbosch-mmusic-signal-3d-format-00.txt on March 3rd, 2011.

2) draft-ietf-mmusic-parallax-attribute-00 had a Huawei IPR declaration 
1674:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1674/

which points to the following patent application: 
http://ip.com/sipoen/102137264

Apparently this patent application was filed on August 25th, 2010 and 
the first version of this draft was submitted as 
draft-greevenbosch-mmusic-parallax-attribute-00.txt on February 25th, 2011.

We would like to remind all WG participants of their obligation to 
dislose any known IPR in accordance with RFC 3979 and in particular in 
accordance with the procedures stated in Section 6.2.1 of RFC 3979, 
which says:

    The IPR disclosure required pursuant to section 6.1.1 must be made as
    soon as reasonably possible after the Contribution is published in an
    Internet Draft unless the required disclosure is already on file.

The CCAMP WG experienced a similar incident recently, and as a result 
sent out a more detailed reminder, which is appropriate for everybody 
here to read as well:

             http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ccamp/current/msg13082.html  

Again, since the 3dformat and parallax drafts were adopted as WG items 
without knowledge of the potential IPR issue, the chairs are hereby 
soliciting the WG for feedback as to whether people still wish to have 
these drafts as WG items.

Please comment

            Flemming and Miguel (MMUSIC chairs)