Subject: [MMUSIC] Request for MMUSIC review: draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-msid-01

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 15:29:15 +0100

Hello,

this is a request for a cross-group review and evaluation for wider 
application:

In the WebRTC effort, the W3C group has identified a preferred 
programming model that involves bundling one or more video or audio 
tracks together in something called a "MediaStream".

The RTCWEB WG has decided that it is not appropriate to use a CNAME to 
group these together, since one identity or synchronization context 
(which CNAME is the primary identifier for) may be the source of 
multiple MediaStreams.

This means that media flows inside an RTP session have to be associated 
with MediaStreams some other way.

One suggestion for this function is described here:

draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-msid-01

which also contains some background and notes about other approaches we 
did not pick.

A presentation of the function is available from the minutes of the 
RTCWEB interim meeting here:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2012/01/31/rtcweb/proceedings.html

the URL of the presentation is:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2012/01/31/rtcweb/slides/rtcweb-5.pdf

I hope this information is suitable for the MMUSIC group to give 
guidance on further processing, including whether this draft needs to be 
an MMUSIC draft or an RTCWEB draft.

                             Harald