Subject: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-singh-avtcore-mprtp-04

From: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:37:34 +0530

Hi Varun -

I have few comments related to the draft

a)How is the situation handled when new network paths become
available/disabled after the call is setup ?

    (3G enabled/disabled after the call is setup)

b)There is little information related to IPv6. How SIP Client would pick
among list of ULA, link-local addresses, IPv6 global addresses with
different precedence using ICE (refer to
draft-keranen-mmusic-ice-adress-selection) ?

Regards,

Tiru.

---

From: Varun Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:29:36 +0200

Hi Tiru,

Response inline.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 20:07, Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Varun –

This is a local decision and MPRTP will use all available paths.
Either the application or ICE or something else needs to tell MPRTP
when an interface is available or unavailable.

At the media level (in the worst case) the sending endpoint will
discover a path is unavailable when a subflow reports 100% loss and it
will stop using it. Alternatively, if the endpoint discovers that one
of its interface is disabled it can advertise a new set of interfaces
(excluding the disabled interface from the set) to the other endpoint.

> draft-keranen-mmusic-ice-adress-selection) ?

It is also a local decision. This should not be different from the
choices made by an endpoint using a single path. if an endpoint is
using ICE then it just inherits the ICE priorities.

For both these queries, do you have something specific in mind?

Cheers,
Varun

-- 
http://www.netlab.tkk.fi/~varun/

---

From: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:05:56 +0530

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Varun Singh [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:00 PM
> To: Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)
> Cc: Jörg Ott; [email-masked]; Dan Wing (dwing)
> Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-singh-avtcore-mprtp-04
> 
> Hi Tiru,
> 
> Response inline.
> 

Please refer RFC 6419 on the problems and behavior of various OS related to MIF. For example Section 3.1.2 Connection Manager only selects the best possible connection for the app based on the destination. The default connection manager always prefers wired over wireless.

> using ICE then it just inherits the ICE priorities.

For example consider a IPv6 Mobile Node making SIP call in PMIPv6. This node could be assigned both MAG and LMA prefixes. Let's say the destination is reachable through both the prefixes. But the issue is only LMA prefix would offer mobility if Mobile Node moves out of the hotspot MAG prefix will not be available. In a different region he may get a different MAG prefix. But if we consider a branch with multiple ISP - such complexities may not arise. The problem in this case would be the SIP client being provided the list of host candidate addresses with the preference provided by RFC 3484 (and using ICE). You will need support from OS to achieve this.