Subject: [MMUSIC] Issue in draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-cs

From: Andrew Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:15:18 +0000

In 5.2.1 of the draft  it shows:

                c= PSTN - -
 
as a valid syntax however in section 5.6.1 it states:

The endpoint MUST set the <nettype> in the "c=" line to "PSTN", and the <addrtype> to "E164". 

Offline discussions with the authors indicates that they believe this is a 
bug in 5.6.1, and that the text should say that if the endpoint is not aware of its E.164 number, both the <addrtype> and <connectionaddress> should be set to "-".

It is proposed that a  change is made to  paragraph in 5.6.1 to 
clearly separate the cases when the endpoint is aware of its E.164 number and when it is not.

Andrew
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged material (including material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

---

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 08:21:15 +0200

As an author,

I acknowledge that the draft should be clear, and somehow, contradicts 
itself. What the draft tries to say is what Andrew just pointed out: if 
the endpoint is not aware of its E.164 address, but just that there is a 
Circuit-Switched connection, then the c line should be:

  c=PSTN - -

/Miguel

On 10/04/2012 21:15, Andrew Allen wrote:
> The endpoint MUST set the<nettype>  in the "c=" line to "PSTN", and the<addrtype>  to "E164".
>
> bug in 5.6.1, and that the text should say that if the endpoint is not aware of its E.164 number, both the<addrtype>  and<connectionaddress>  should be set to "-".
>
> _______________________________________________
> mmusic mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic
>

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608
Ericsson Spain

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:52:56 +0800

Hi，Miguel
   I gave a presentation on my draft " draft-zhou-mmusic-sdes-keymod" but 
got no response in the mailing list.
But according to the paragraph in 3gpp's TR with respect to the above 
draft：

http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/33829.htm
0.0.10 version   9.3.1.3 SDES solution 2 
It is required that “Editor’s Note: Further work in IETF will be 
required before this comes to the normative text.”

I wonder what can I　do ? 

Regards,
Sujing

---

From: "Belling, Thomas (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:05:23 +0200

Dear Miguel,

Might be a matter of taste and can certainly be overcome with clear
descriptive text, but:

For me a dash instead of E.164 somehow sounds like the host not even
knowing its addresstype.

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of ext Miguel A. Garcia
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:21 AM
To: Andrew Allen
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Issue in draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-cs

As an author,

  c=PSTN - -

/Miguel

On 10/04/2012 21:15, Andrew Allen wrote:
> Offline discussions with the authors indicates that they believe this 
> is a bug in 5.6.1, and that the text should say that if the endpoint
is not aware of its E.164 number, both the<addrtype>
and<connectionaddress>  should be set to "-".
> This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information, privileged material (including material protected by the
solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute
non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete
this information from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or
reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not
authorized and may be unlawful.

---

From: Andrew Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 18:17:40 +0000

Thomas

That's certainly one way you can look at it.

However I think the approach the authors have taken is that the address type is the type of the connectionaddress value that follows. Since the connectionaddress has no value ("-") putting the value E164 in the address type is pointless.

Having "PSTN - -" syntax is consistent with the current 3GPP documentation too so I would prefer to keep it that way.

Andrew

> From: Belling, Thomas (NSN - DE/Munich) [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 10:05 AM
> To: ext Miguel A. Garcia; Andrew Allen
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] Issue in draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-cs
> 
> Dear Miguel,
>

---

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:44:52 +0200

Hi Thomas:

Please see below.

> For me a dash instead of E.164 somehow sounds like the host not even

And certainly that is the case. The device knows it is behind a circuit 
switched connection. It doesn't know any address, not an E.164, or not 
any other addressing scheme (say, E.212). So, if it doesn't know it, 
let's signal it with a dash. I don't see the point in indicating that the 
devices knows it has an E.164 address allocated to it, when it does not 
really know it.

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608
Ericsson Spain