Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Feedback requested on requirements

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 18:01:15 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
> 
> > But if the SBC does not reprocess media, but only *edits* what
> > media descriptions it permits in the SDP that it passes through, 
> > then bundling can succeed as long as the bundling specification
> > does not require any element that the SBC removes.
> 
> I still don't get it :)
> 
> If an SBC needs to reprocess media, it obviously need to support the
> codecs used. But, that is true no matter whether BUNDLE is used or
> not.

Yes, if you only consider the case of an SBC that needs to reprocess
media, then there is nothing that can be done.

But *the case I'm considering* is when the intermediate element (it
might not be a proper SBC) edits the SDP but does not need to
reprocess media.

Dale

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 07:38:51 +0000

Hi,

>>> But if the SBC does not reprocess media, but only *edits* what media 
>>> descriptions it permits in the SDP that it passes through, then 
>>> bundling can succeed as long as the bundling specification does not 
>>> require any element that the SBC removes.
>> 
>> I still don't get it :)
>> 
> Yes, if you only consider the case of an SBC that needs to reprocess media, then there is nothing that can be done.
>
> But *the case I'm considering* is when the intermediate element (it might not be a proper SBC) edits the SDP but does not need to reprocess media.

Well, in that case it doesn't need to support the codec either, does it?

Regards,

Christer

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:29:59 -0400 (EDT)

> > But *the case I'm considering* is when the intermediate element
> > (it might not be a proper SBC) edits the SDP but does not need to
> > reprocess media.
> 

And conveniently, I've been told that in those cases, the intermediate
device usually doesn't look at the codec specifications (though they
often look at the media type in the m= line).

Dale

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 21:06:02 +0000

Hi,

> And conveniently, I've been told that in those cases, the intermediate device usually doesn't look at the codec specifications (though they often look at the media type in the m= line).

Media type and codec are two separate things.

Regards,

Christer