Subject: [MMUSIC] Protocol Action: 'WebRTC MediaStream Identification in the Session Description Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mmusic-msid-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 16:18:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'WebRTC MediaStream Identification in the Session Description Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-mmusic-msid-15.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-msid/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies a Session Description Protocol (SDP) Grouping mechanism
  for RTP media streams that can be used to specify relations between media streams.
  This mechanism is used to signal the association between the SDP concept of 
  "media description" and the WebRTC concept of "MediaStream" / "MediaStreamTrack" 
  using SDP signaling.

Working Group Summary

   The document has undergone a number of revisions. Originally, it was 
   believed the mechansim was more generally applicable than WebRTC. 
   As the work progressed, the general applicability became increasingly 
   unclear and a resulting reduction in scope and significant simplication 
   resulted. The WG is fully supportive of this. 

Document Quality

   Chrome implements an earlier version of the specification and is committed 
   to implementing the specified version at a later stage. 

   There are no special reviewers or other expert reviews of the document. 

Personnel

   Flemming Andreasen is the document shepherd and Ben Campbell 
   is the responsible Area Director