Subject: [MMUSIC] RFC 8844 on Unknown Key-Share Attacks on Uses of TLS with the Session Description Protocol (SDP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 13:32:25 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8844

        Title:      Unknown Key-Share Attacks on Uses of TLS 
                    with the Session Description Protocol (SDP) 
        Author:     M. Thomson,
                    E. Rescorla
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Updates:    RFC 8122

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-uks-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8844

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8844

This document describes unknown key-share attacks on the use of
Datagram Transport Layer Security for the Secure Real-Time Transport
Protocol (DTLS-SRTP). Similar attacks are described on the use of
DTLS-SRTP with the identity bindings used in Web Real-Time
Communications (WebRTC) and SIP identity.  These attacks are
difficult to mount, but they cause a victim to be misled about the
identity of a communicating peer.  This document defines mitigation
techniques that implementations of RFC 8122 are encouraged to deploy.

This document is a product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC