Subject: (mobile-ip) Call for papers on Wireless Internet and Intranet Access

From: Ramon Caceres <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:07:42 -0500

Call For Papers

    ACM/Baltzer Journal on Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET)

	Special Issue on Wireless Internet and Intranet Access

SCOPE:

Over the last decade there has been a tremendous surge of interest in
wireless, cellular and Personal Communications Services (PCS) networks
for supporting mobile users, largely driven by voice communications
applications.  While it has long been predicted that interest in
wireless data networks, applications, and services will follow suit,
until recently this has been limited to specialized, vertical
applications, such as mobile sales and field operations.  The emergence
of the Internet -- and increasingly, corporate Intranets -- raises the
possibility that at last the "killer" application for wireless data
networks has been found.  The Internet has the potential to serve as a
common underlying technology and, together with the World Wide Web, a
common interface, for a whole host of applications, ranging from
connectionless applications such as messaging or simple database
access, to connection-oriented applications such as file transfer or
multipoint, multimedia communications.

Nonetheless, there remain important technical challenges to be met
before wireless access to the opportunities offered by the Internet and
Intranets becomes a reality.  In this Special Issue we invite research
paper submissions on topics relating to the technology of wireless
Internet and Intranet access, focusing on the transport layer and
below.  Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

	Design, analysis, and implementation of
	transport-layer protocols for wireless
	Internet access

	Mobility management protocols and performance

	Optimizations and alternatives to Mobile IP
	for IPv4 and IPv6

	Models of user mobility and characterization
	of mobility patterns

	Wireless security and authentication
	protocols

	Interworking of public PCS and
	cellular systems with Internet access

	Internetworking of wireless IP and ATM
	networks

	Media Access Control and Link-layer
	protocols for wireless Internet access

	Dynamic channel assignment for
	connectionless and connection-oriented
	traffic

	Quality of service provisioning and
	negotiation for wireless links

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:

Original, unpublished research articles will be evaluated by a two-
stage process.  Authors are first invited to submit a summary of the
paper (at most 5 pages, at least 10 point font) by February 1, 1998.
Please send all summaries to Ravi Jain (address given below).  Authors
will be notified if their summary has passed the first round of review
by March 30, 1998.  If a summary is accepted, the complete manuscript
will be required for a full formal review by May 1, 1998.  The special
issue is expected to appear in 3Q98.

All summaries and papers should preferably be submitted electronically,
in PostScript format.  Please use the following guide- lines: Use PostScript
version 2 or later, ensure that the text fits on US Letter paper (8.5
inches x 11 inches), and use only Computer Modern or standard Adobe fonts
(i.e., Times Roman, Courier, or Helvetica); other fonts may be used but
they must be included in the PostScript file.

GUEST EDITORS:

Ramon Caceres		     Li Fung Chang            Ravi Jain

AT&T Labs - Research	     Bellcore		      Bellcore
180 Park Avenue		     331 Newman Springs Rd    331 Newman Springs Rd
Florham Park, NJ 07932, USA  Red Bank, NJ 07701, USA  Red Bank, NJ 07701, USA

Tel: +1 973 360 8774         Tel: +1 732 758 2873     Tel: +1 732 758 2844
Fax: +1 973 360 8050         Fax: +1 732 758 4372     Fax: +1 732 758 4372

[email-masked]       [email-masked]         [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]