Subject: (mobile-ip) MN Registration required - question

From: "Umamaheswar Achari Kakinada"<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:52:35 -0600

Hi,
  Kindly refer section 2.4.1 of  RFC 2002, it reads

 2.4.1. Registration Required
   When the mobile node receives an Agent Advertisement with the 'R' bit
   set, the mobile node SHOULD register through the foreign agent, even
   when the mobile node might be able to acquire its own co-located
   care-of address.  This feature is intended to allow sites to enforce
   visiting policies (such as accounting) which require exchanges of
   authorization.

My question is, even when a mobile node visiting a foreign network acquires
 an
IP address in the foreign network and capable of operating with a
co-located
care of address ,

a.  After registering with the foreign agent, can the mobile node operate
with a co-located  care of address.

b. Can the interaction between  FA  and mobile node be confined to
accounting purposes only, if possible how.

c.  If a mobile node in a foreign network starts to operate with a
co-located  care of address, with out registering
     with a FA, can the FA force the mobile node register with it self.

Thanks

Achari

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]

---

From: Jim Solomon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:46:44 -0600

In message <[email-masked]>,
    "Umamaheswar Achari Kakinada"
    <[email-masked]> writes:

> My question is, even when a mobile node visiting a foreign network
> acquires an IP address in the foreign network and capable of
> operating with a co-located care of address,
> 
> a.  After registering with the foreign agent, can the mobile node
> operate with a co-located care of address.

Yes.

> accounting purposes only, if possible how.

The FA becomes a "router" not a "de-tunneler" when the MN has a
co-located COA but nonetheless must register via the FA due to the
presence of the R-bit.

> co-located care of address, with out registering with a FA, can the
> FA force the mobile node register with it self.

The FA can't *force* the MN to do anything.  It can, however, refuse
to route packets to/from the MN unless the MN obeys its wish; namely,
registering via that FA.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jim S.