Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] routing optimization authentication

From: Gao Qing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:12:16 +0800

>The advantage is that in the end, there is an MN-FA
>security association which is useful.

Is this security association really indispensible? In MIP, the
MN performs registration to home domain periodically. It is not
likely that the registration lifetime be very long. In this
case, does the MN need to prove its identity to the FA frequently
during a registration lifetime?

---

From: Jari T Malinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:34:26 +0200

> during a registration lifetime?

The registration lifetime [RFC 2002] can also be very long, even
infinite. It might be commonplace that the lifetime is small, but if
we use, say, signal-based handoff where we do not base our handoff
decisions on timeouts, we can reduce protocol overhead by having a long
lifetime.

Regards,

--jari

Jari Malinen (http://www.cs.hut.fi/~jtm)
Researcher, HUT/CS Lab. Tel. +358 9 451 4774, fax +358 9 451 5351.