Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Proposed extension for Mobile-IP

From: Caroline Lebre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:12:40 +0100

Dear all,

I'm part of a group looking at using MobileIP for handover between
different wireless networks in a tiered network infrastructure. We are
currently using networks such as Wireless LANs, IrDA and GSM.

We have developed an extension to Mobile IP that provides the Home Agent
with extra information about the network the mobile host is currently
using: the type of network and its bandwidth.

This extra information is very useful in a mobile environment because of
the changes in the bandwidth available to the mobile when handing over
between different wireless networks. We use it for dynamic downgrading,
transcoding or caching of data streams during handover for streams that
wouldn't be supported over the new wireless network used (for example
video over GSM). We also use it to put CBQ filters on tunnels with the
bandwidth of the access network.

We believe that these ideas are very important for the future of mobile
data and that Mobile IP has got an important role to play in that field.

We'd be interested to hear whether some of you are working on similar
ideas and what people think about this extension and the capabilities it
provides. Would you be interested in seeing more details of the
implementation on the mailing list?

This work is the network part of a European project called M3A (Mobile
Multi-Media Access) which aims to provide constant network coverage to a
mobile terminal by using a combination of the following networks:
HIPERLAN for up to 20 Mb/s indoor, DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) for
1.7 Mb/s downlink outdoor and GSM for wide range coverage at 14.4 kb/s.
Mobility across the different networks is provided using a Mobile IP
implementation that we've developed in C and JAVA on the Linux kernel
2.2.x.

If you would like more information about the project, please don't
hesitate to contact me or have a look at the web page at
http://m3a.hiperlan.org

Regards,

Caroline.
--
Caroline Lebre                           Email: [email-masked]
B55 Rm122, BT Laboratories
Martlesham Heath                         Tel:   +44 (0)1473 644545
Ipswich, Suffolk, IP5 3RE, UK            Fax:   +44 (0)1473 646885

---

From: "Andrew T. Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:07:01 -0700

Caroline:

> provides.

Mobiware is a programmable mobile networking toolkit (based
on CORBA and Java software technologies) that allows
third parties to program wireless/mobile services into cellular
infrastructures - it interworks with mobile IP at gateways.
Inside the cellular access networks you can implement different
styles of services (e.g., handoff, filtering service, etc.)
using a set of well defined networking APIs.

Regarding your specific note, mobiware has the capability to
inject new audio and video filters
into the access points on-the-fly. If fact mobiware can
install and bind new filters during handoff without
disruption to service - and in response to changing
QOS conditions.

The Mobiware source code has been available for
over a year now (with some 400 downloads) with people
building mirror testbeds (e.g., at Nortel Networks)
and extending the code base to other services of
interest; for free source code and manual see:

 http://comet.columbia.edu/mobiware/

There is a recent journal paper:

A. T. Campbell, M. E. Kounavis, and R. R.-F. Liao,
"Programmable Mobile Networks", Computer Networks and ISDN Systems,
Vol. 31, No. 7, pg. 741-765, April 1999.

that you will find on my pubs page. The mobiware page
has other related papers but not this one as yet.

--
Andrew
http://comet.columbia.edu/~campbell