Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Drafts Cleanup

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:25:17 -0500

Hello,

One of the outstanding items of the Mobile IP WG meeting held at
IETF45 was to clean up the current drafts that have the title
draft-ietf-mobileip-xyz but are not necessarily agreed upon WG
documents. These drafts can be resubmitted as personal drafts
(eg: draft-myname-mobileip-xyz). The drafts that we believe are not WG
documents at this time are listed below. These drafts which also show
up on the IETFs Mobile IP page will be removed shortly.

Current Mobile IP WG documents:
-------------------------------

- Route Optimization in Mobile IP (draft-ietf-mobileip-optim-08.txt)

- Mobility Support in IPv6 (draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-08.txt)

- IP Mobility Support version 2 (draft-ietf-mobileip-v2-00.txt)
  Needs to be renamed.

- Registration Keys for Route Optimization
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-regkey-00.txt)

- Special Tunnels for Mobile IP (draft-ietf-mobileip-spectun-00.txt)

- Mobile IP Challenge/Response Extensions
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-challenge-02.txt)

- Mobile IP Network Address Identifier Extension
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-mn-nai-03.txt)

Drafts that may be considered as WG documents:
----------------------------------------------

We will consider these drafts as WG documents after ascertaining that
these fit in the scope of the charter and has WG consensus. These
drafts need to be resubmitted as personal drafts at this time and can be
renamed as WG documents when we have agreement.

- IP micro-mobility support using HAWAII
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-hawaii-00.txt)

- Paging support for IP mobility using HAWAII
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-paging-hawaii-00.txt)

- Requirements on Mobile IP from a Cellular Perspective
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-cellular-requirements-02.txt)

Drafts that will be removed from the Mobile IP page:
----------------------------------------------------

Some of these drafts have expired or may not be in the scope of the
charter at the present time. You may wish to resubmit them to the
drafts editor.

- Firewall Support for Mobile IP
  (draft-montenegro-firewall-sup-03.txt)

- Tunnel Establishment Protocol
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-calhoun-tep-01.txt)

- Rapid Authentication for Mobile IP (draft-ietf-mobileip-ra-00.txt)

- Use of IPSec in Mobile IP (draft-ietf-mobileip-ipsec-use-00.txt)

- Support for Mobile IP in Roaming
  (draft-ietf-roamops-mobileip-02.txt)

- Mobile IP Dynamic Home Address Allocation Extensions
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-home-addr-alloc-00.txt)

- Mobile IP Regionalized Tunnel Management
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-00.txt)

- NAI Resolution for Wireless Networks
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-nai-wn-00.txt)

- IP Mobility Architecture Framework
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-ipm-arch-00.txt)

- Simple Mobile IP (SMIP)(draft-ietf-mobileip-simple-01.txt)

- AAA Registration Keys for Mobile IP
  (draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-key-00.txt) - explain

- Private Addresses in Mobile IP (draft-ietf-mobileip-privaddr-00.txt)
  Although this topic is in the charter, we are having a discussion on
  the mailing list at this time on the approach the WG wants to
  take. Hence this draft may be reconsidered at a later time.

Also please note the draft naming policy for this WG as discussed in
IETF45 (previous e-mail).

Basavaraj Patil
Phil Roberts

---

From: Charles Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:08:27 -0700

Hello Raj,

>   (draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-00.txt)

I don't mind resubmitting this as a personal draft, but
I would like to ask that it remain on the working group
page.  There are quite a few people within the working
group interested in such an approach, as was indicated
at the last meeting in Oslo.

>   (draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-key-00.txt) - explain

This is a way for the AAA to encode registration keys for
the mobile node and mobility agents.  Doing this is crucial
for operation of route optimization with AAA, and for smooth
handoff, and for allowing intermediate Mobile IP registration
messages to be validated at the foreign agent without having
to invoke the AAA infrastructure at each registration.

>   take. Hence this draft may be reconsidered at a later time.

It still deserves to be made available, however.  And, I think
that the page won't be so crowded once the expired, dead, and
inactive drafts disappear.

Would you prefer that this draft become an individual submission?

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:38:59 -0500

Hi Charles,

>at the last meeting in Oslo.

It would help if you could resubmit it as a personal draft. Since a
lot of other drafts are using this as a reference and has spawned many
new ideas we can keep it on the page.

>to invoke the AAA infrastructure at each registration.

Since we have agreed to just define the requirements that Mobile IP
needs from AAA at the last IETF, this draft does not at this point in
time fit in the scope of the charter and WG emphasis which is
deployment. We can always pick it up if there is sufficient interest
and reason to do so and make it a WG document. I just do not feel that
it is within the scope at the present.

>Would you prefer that this draft become an individual submission?

There is at least one other draft (draft-teoyli-mobileip-mvpn-02.txt)
that addresses the same problem and there probably will be more in the
future. We need to decide what is the best/optimum solution that the
WG wants to pursue and choose to work on that draft. We could then
decide to make that ID a WG document. But until that happens it would be
preferable to keep the I-Ds as personal submissions aimed at the
Mobile IP WG.

>Charlie P.

Cheers,
-Raj