Subject: [MOBILE-IP] AAA with address allocation

From: Vipul Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:38:16 -0800

See comments below.

> >Given that we haven't quite mapped out how Mobile IPv6 can/will interface
> with
> >AAA (give the lack of an FA), there is some research work necessary in this
> >area before a standards body decides to roll out a service.

  [Patrik Flykt wrote ...]

>
> These are just some ideas on the subject:
>
> The situation with a v4 MN with a co-located care-of address is almost
> identical to the MIPv6 case, in both situations the MN needs to allocate an
> address before it can start using MIP. Perhaps the AAA interaction should be
> tied to the address allocation mechanism, e.g. a DHCP (or a PPP) server ?
> Fergal Ladley presented something similar in the Oslo IETF.

  Yes, tying the address allocation mechanism to AAA makes sense. Otherwise,
  one would need to worry about the additional problem of "how does one
  get AAA traffic flowing to /from the MN that does not have a
  topologically correct address?".

  There is a brief discussion of this in draft-gupta-dhcp-auth-01.txt
  in the context of roaming with DHCP authentication. The next version
  of this will be issued as a DHCP working group draft. If you/others
  have comments/suggestions, please send them to me (you may also consider
  posting comments to [email-masked] if they are DHCP specific).

  thanks,

  vipul