Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] Dynamic Home Agent Assignment

From: Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:02:30 -0800

good point. we can use language similar to what rfc2344 already has
for the short MN->FA tunnel in the encapsulated delivery style:

        The address of the agent as learned from the IP source
        address of the agent's most recent registration reply.

i suggest modifying the above very slightly (one word added) as
follows and to use it for reverse tunnels as well:

        The address of the agent as learned from the IP source
        address of the agent's most recent successful  registration
        reply.

the question is: should i produce an rfc2004version2 with the above
changes? any other tweaks needed for 2344?

phil? raj?

-gabriel

>In draft-ietf-mobileip-home-addr-alloc-00.txt, dynamic home agent function is
>described. It seems that this function break the reverse tunneling function as
>specified in RFC2344.
>
>In RFC2344, IP destination address is copied from  the Home Agent field within
>the Registration Request.
>
>In order to support dynamic Home Agent assignment, the IP destination address
>of
>a reverse tunneling IP packet has to be copied from the Home Agent field within
>the Registration Reply (Of course, the registration has to be successful).
>
>It seems a modification to RFC2344 is required to  support dynamic Home Agent
>assignment. Any comments?
>
>
>--Yingchun.

---

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:41:17 -0600

>> Have you get any words from chairs how to resolve the issue? We need
>> this since the "Dynamic Home Agent Assignment" feature is one of the
>> requirement for cdma2000 network. This is definitely a requirement
>> when reverse tunneling becomes mandatory.

>i have had some private conversations with the chairs that lead me
>to believe that the slight changes required in rfc2344 would be
>ok to do. i sent the query last week hoping they would reply
>and make public their opinion.
>
>raj? phil?
>
>-gabriel

>>>In draft-ietf-mobileip-home-addr-alloc-00.txt, dynamic home agent
>>>function is described. It seems that this function break the reverse
>>>tunneling function as specified in RFC2344.

First of all I need to clarify that this I-D is currently not a WG
document. Dynamic Home agent assignment can be done many ways and I do
not believe it needs to be specified by the Mobile IP protocol.

In view of the consensus that the WG arrived regarding how we address
the issue of mobile nodes with private addresses, I believe an update
to RFC2344 describing the solution is sufficient. I do not think there
is enough justification to write another I-D to specifically include
this solution. The solution is an addendum to RFC2344 and can be
mentioned as a reference in the new Mobile IP for IPv4 I-D which will
become a proposed standard at some point soon.

-Basavaraj

---

From: Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:04:04 -0800

>become a proposed standard at some point soon.

ok, i'll prepare a revised version of rfc2344 (rfc2344bis?) using the
naming convention used for the 2002 update.

tnx,

-gabriel