Subject: [MOBILE-IP] CFP: IEEE Personal Communications Special Issue on "Networking the Physical World"

From: "Mani B. Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:13:25 -0800

CALL FOR PAPERS

                  IEEE Personal Communications Special Issue
                       "Networking the Physical World"

  Early in this decade the seminal article on "Ubiquitous Computing" by
  the late Mark Weiser had predicted a vision for the future where
  computer networking technology will be used not just for
  person-to-person or person-to-computer communication, but also for
  creating smart environments with people interacting and controlling the
  physical world. Now, as we enter the new millennium, the availability
  of cheap, miniature, and low-power embedded processors, wireless
  communication modules, and sensors/actuators have brought us closer
  than ever to realizing the above vision. Indeed, there is currently
  tremendous research activity in the industry and the academe on related
  technologies such as networked web appliances, sensor networks,
  Bluetooth, smart spaces, and invisible computing.

  For this special issue we solicit original papers that address research
  challenges and problems in this new paradigm of a networked physical
  world. Specifically, we seek contributions in the following aspects:

      * Network architectures
      * Naming, addressing, and protocol issues
      * Routing approaches such as location, constraint, need,
        and capability based routing
      * Algorithms for information aggregation and distribution,
        scalability issues
      * Network and OS infrastructure, and middleware services
        for user queries, location management, self-configuration etc.
      * Power and battery energy management
      * Security problems and techniques
      * Novel applications
      * Human interaction issues, including user interfaces and
        multi-modal input and output
      * Experimental platforms and results from prototype systems
      * Evaluation methodologies

GUEST EDITORS:

  The guest editors are B. R. Badrinath (Rutgers), Jean Scholtz (DARPA),
  and Mani Srivastava (UCLA).

  The special issue will also feature selected contributions from the
  multi-agency Workshop on Smart Environments, Atlanta, July 1999,
  invited and co-edited by Jean Scholtz (DARPA), Kevin Mills (NIST),
  Vince Stanford (NIST), and Karen Sollins (NSF).

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:

  Submissions should be no more than 6000words, excluding figures.  For
  formatting details, please see http://pubs.comsoc.org/pci/pub_guidelines.html.
  The paper should be submitted by email as MIME file attachment to
  [email-masked] and [email-masked]. Preferred submission format is a
  PDF file (Word, PS, and Framemaker also acceptable). Please include the
  address, email, and phone number of the contact author on the paper itself.

IMPORTANT DATES:
  Manuscript due:          January 15, 2000
  Acceptance Notification: April 15, 2000
  Final Manuscript due:    June 1, 2000
  Publication date:        August, 2000

                            CALL FOR PAPERS

                  IEEE Personal Communications Special Issue
                       "Networking the Physical World"

  Early in this decade the seminal article on "Ubiquitous Computing" by
  the late Mark Weiser had predicted a vision for the future where
  computer networking technology will be used not just for
  person-to-person or person-to-computer communication, but also for
  creating smart environments with people interacting and controlling the
  physical world. Now, as we enter the new millennium, the availability
  of cheap, miniature, and low-power embedded processors, wireless
  communication modules, and sensors/actuators have brought us closer
  than ever to realizing the above vision. Indeed, there is currently
  tremendous research activity in the industry and the academe on related
  technologies such as networked web appliances, sensor networks,
  Bluetooth, smart spaces, and invisible computing.

  For this special issue we solicit original papers that address research
  challenges and problems in this new paradigm of a networked physical
  world. Specifically, we seek contributions in the following aspects:

      * Network architectures
      * Naming, addressing, and protocol issues
      * Routing approaches such as location, constraint, need,
        and capability based routing
      * Algorithms for information aggregation and distribution,
        scalability issues
      * Network and OS infrastructure, and middleware services
        for user queries, location management, self-configuration etc.
      * Power and battery energy management
      * Security problems and techniques
      * Novel applications
      * Human interaction issues, including user interfaces and
        multi-modal input and output
      * Experimental platforms and results from prototype systems
      * Evaluation methodologies

GUEST EDITORS:

  The guest editors are B. R. Badrinath (Rutgers), Jean Scholtz (DARPA),
  and Mani Srivastava (UCLA).

  The special issue will also feature selected contributions from the
  multi-agency Workshop on Smart Environments, Atlanta, July 1999,
  invited and co-edited by Jean Scholtz (DARPA), Kevin Mills (NIST),
  Vince Stanford (NIST), and Karen Sollins (NSF).

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:

  Submissions should be no more than 6000words, excluding figures.  For
  formatting details, please see http://pubs.comsoc.org/pci/pub_guidelines.html.
  The paper should be submitted by email as MIME file attachment to
  [email-masked] and [email-masked]. Preferred submission format is a
  PDF file (Word, PS, and Framemaker also acceptable). Please include the
  address, email, and phone number of the contact author on the paper itself.

IMPORTANT DATES:
  Manuscript due:          January 15, 2000
  Acceptance Notification: April 15, 2000
  Final Manuscript due:    June 1, 2000
  Publication date:        August, 2000