Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Route Optimization Draft Question

From: Yingchun Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:03:53 -0600

Hi, Charles,
By reading through the draft, my understanding is that Home Agent will never
send Binding Update to foreign agent. Is my understanding correct?
Folks here in TR45.4 were trying to use the Binding Update function for Old FA
resource reclamation during FA handoff.

Could you help clarifying the issue?

Thanks
--Yingchun.

---

From: Charles Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 11:48:41 -0800

Hello Yingchun,

First, I agree that using the Previous Foreign Agent Notification
extension is a good way to do resource reclamation.

But, to answer your question, I would only say that the home agent
would _typically_ not send a Binding Update to a foreign agent.
I can think of some scenarios where it would happen, but those are
not the typical scenarios.

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Gopal Dommety <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 22:43:33 -0800

Hello Charlie:

        In the    CDMA2000 network (RP   Interface)  the PDSN  will be
sending a message to the PCF (RNN).  This message could  be sent in an
unsolicited fashion. If you think we should use the Binding Update for
this, then we should  be able to send it  in an unsolicited  fashion (I
agree it is being used  for a different  purpose and in different  way
then it is intended in  the Route Optimization  draft. That is why
the new draft actually proposed a new message). Let me know.

thanks
Gopal

---

From: Charles Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 07:35:37 -0800

Hello Gopal,

> this, then we should  be able to send it  in an unsolicited  fashion ...

Any node can send a Binding Update to any other node whenever
it is needed, subject to a certain backoff algorithm to prevent
flooding up Binding Update messages.  The Binding Update messages
are supposed to be authenticated, so this needs to be taken into
account in your system design.

If you have a particular scenario that seems to be inconvenient or
awkward given the existing specification for Binding Update, please
bring discussion to the mailing list and/or suggest revisions to the
existing specification.  Comments are welcome.

Regards,
Charlie P.