Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Question on draft-team-mobileip-mipv6-sec-reqts-0 0.txt

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:05:28 +0200

> > 
> > True. But is a legitimate MN even monitoring for such data on the
> > wireless links? Probably not.
> 
> Why wouldn't a legitimate MN monitor the wireless link?
> 
	=> Either to save power (on a shared media) or because 
	it can't (on a point to point type link). cards are not normally set 
	to promiscous mode by deault.

	Hesham

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jul 2001 15:49:03 +0200

> 	to promiscous mode by deault.

I can't argue regarding the "save power" argument.

I can argue about the "point to point" argument.  If you mention
point-to-point as a reason for the impossiblity of MN to listen to
broadcast messages then the same reason goes for the impossiblity of
attacker to listen to the same traffic, and thus it's impossible for
attacker to find the legitimate's MN HoA and forge a BU.

What are the precise point to point links you refer to?  Are many
other wireless media accesses of type point to point?  Just wondering,
please enlighten.

Also, monitoring the media is already specified as a potential means
to assist in handovers (draft-mobileip).  So why not monitoring the
media in order to enhance security?

Alex