Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Handover Smoothing - What to Do?

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:31:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi again Rajeev,

>The actual process depends however on the end-to-end network dynamics. For 
example,
>if there is a talkspurt during handover followed by an idle time, then you 
could
>drain the buffer without actually propagating the delay per se. You might 
affect the
>start time of the *next* talkspurt however, in the sense that the idle time is 
not
>exactly the same as that of the sener's. However, this is not a big deal in 
packet
>networks with jitter buffers and smart playback adjustment.
>

It doesn't have anything to do with the network dynamics. If I buffer during
time T(0), then it takes me T(1) to download, so I must buffer during
that period. I download the T(1) buffer during time T(2), during
which time I have to download, etc. It's a simple geometric series.
Look in Appendix B of draft-kempf-beth-ipv6-01.txt for the math.

On second thought, maybe I ought to just post a summary of the analysis,
since we seem to be talking around it.

		jak

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:49:55 -0700

Hi,

> Look in Appendix B of draft-kempf-beth-ipv6-01.txt for the math.

Perhaps I am missing something (or did a poor job of explaining what I had in
mind).. However, in your above illustration, during T(1) when you are downloading,
what if there is nothing to buffer ?

Regards,

-Rajeev