Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Question on draft-team-mobileip-mipv6-sec-reqts-0 0.txt

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:55:56 +0200

> "Hesham Soliman  (ERA)" <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > Why wouldn't a legitimate MN monitor the wireless link?
> > > 
> > 	=> Either to save power (on a shared media) or because 
> > 	it can't (on a point to point type link). cards are not normally set 
> > 	to promiscous mode by deault.
> 
> I can't argue regarding the "save power" argument.
> 
> I can argue about the "point to point" argument.  If you mention
> point-to-point as a reason for the impossiblity of MN to listen to
> broadcast messages then the same reason goes for the impossiblity of
> attacker to listen to the same traffic, and thus it's impossible for
> attacker to find the legitimate's MN HoA and forge a BU.
> 
	=> MITM does not have to be on the same link ..right ?

> What are the precise point to point links you refer to?  Are many
> other wireless media accesses of type point to point?  Just wondering,
> please enlighten.
> 
	=> Cellular links for example.

> Also, monitoring the media is already specified as a potential means
> to assist in handovers (draft-mobileip).  So why not monitoring the
> media in order to enhance security?
> 
	=> I don't know which draft you refer to, but if you're referring 
	to the movement detection part of the MIPv6 spec then 
	that is only relevant to shared media like WLAN environments. 

	Hesham

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jul 2001 18:28:26 +0200

> 	=> MITM does not have to be on the same link ..right ?

Right, MITM attack could be launched from outside the MN's link.  I
was not referring to MITM in particular.  I was mostly referring to
threats B.x of Threat Model.  The B.x threats all assume that the
attacker can monitor traffic, so why wouldn't the MN itself monitor
traffic.

> > other wireless media accesses of type point to point?  Just
> > wondering, please enlighten.
> > 

So IP runs over all Cellular links in a point-to-point manner.  Is
there any proposal to run IP over a Cellular link more in a 802.3 MAC
manner?

> 	that is only relevant to shared media like WLAN environments. 

Yes, I was referring to that part, thank you for this clarification.
But I was thinking that the Threat Model draft refers to that same
MIPv6 spec and thus shared environments are addressed implicitely.

Alex