Subject: [mobile-ip] Relation between IPv6 and MIP

From: "Qiang Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:32:44 -0400

Hello, I've always thought that MIP is an addon protocol for IPv6, so it
is a SHOULD not a MUST implementation, is this correct? 
If MIP is optional, then a node doesn't have to maintain all binding
signaling, but REALLY has to support home address option, is this an
valid requirement imposed from MIP?

Please clarify, thank you

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:13:39 -0700

> Please clarify, thank you

that is correct. the minimum requirement is " any node should be able
to process the home address option ".

vijay

---

From: "Jiwoong Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:25:24 +0900

Vijay,

I doubt it. Please see section 7.1 of mobileip-ipv6-14.

7.1. Requirements for All IPv6 Hosts and Routers

   Since any IPv6 node may at any time be a correspondent node of a
   mobile node, either sending a packet to a mobile node or receiving a
   packet from a mobile node, the following requirements apply to ALL
   IPv6 nodes (whether host or router, whether mobile or stationary):

    -  Every IPv6 node MUST be able to process a Home Address option
       received in any IPv6 packet.

    blah blah..

Jiwoong