Subject: [mobile-ip] some more comments on draft-ietf-mobileip-lmm-requirements-00.txt

From: "Muhammad Jaseemuddin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:07:53 -0400

Hi Carl:

 Thanks for putting together a well-written draft. Please find my comments
below.

1. Section 1.0
    I am not sure whether the user can gain the benefit of smoother hand-off
through LMM. I think it is the handover scheme (e.g. Fast Handover) that
provides smoot handoff. And also smoother in comparison with what? perhaps
MIPv6. May be it should be stated in intro section that reference point for
all comparisons is MIPv6.

2. There is a dangling reference [SubnetMobPro] in Section 3.1.

3. The section of Section 3.3.2 should be re-written as follows:

"LMM-aware agents MUST be able to inter-operate with non-LMM-aware routers,
hosts, home agents, and mobile nodes"

This reversal of statement is necessary because it is the LMM-agent design
that should incorporate necessary changes to inter-operate, not the other
devices make an effort to interoperate with LMM-agents.

4. If we read 3.3.4, 3.5.2, and 3.10.1 together, then it seems that there is
an inconsistency in describing reliability. Section 3.10.1 is a very soft
requirement on recovery from failure, while 3.3.4 and 3.5.2 on maintaining
connectivity in the presence of LMM-agent failure and service disruptio
respectively. I think all three requirements should be changed to SHOULD.
Because recovery from failure is essential for minimizing service disruption
and maximizing connectivity. However, in case of failure of serving LMM
agent, there will be some service disruption that may not be there if
vanilla MIPv6 is used. Considering zero-time recovery from failure is hard
to imagine.

5. I agree with Hesham that the first paragraph fo section 3.4.4 should be
struck. I also suggest that "for tunnels" should be removed from the second
paragraph of section 3.4.3, because it makes the sentence too solution
specific.

Muhammad Jaseemuddin		
 Wireless Technology Lab		
Nortel Networks
email:   [email-masked]
Phone:  613 765-7520 (ESN 395)
Fax:      613 763-2686