Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Analysis of Latency Propagation with Buffering

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:10:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Erik,

>>        R = T(0)/(1 - (A/B)) 

>You seem to have computed the total time until the buffering and downloading
>of the buffer process is running.

Correct.

>This is longer than the maximum delay that buffering adds to any packet.

The concern isn't with the maximum delay added to any packet, but
rather the time period in which *any* traffic is buffered. The longer
traffic is buffered, the longer it loses its "real time" characteristic,
and the more likely users will perceive the converstation as stilted
or hear some artifact.

>In fact, isn't the max delay added just T(0) for the first packet
>that was buffered. Then subsequent packets see a linearly decreasing 
>addional delay until R time units have passed.
>

Sure, but, as I mentioned above, the figure of merit
for judging acceptability for users is the aggregate delay, not the per packet 
delay.

		jak