Subject: [mobile-ip] Network Mobility Support: Requirements

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:19:07 +0200

Dear all,

In order to prepare the next IETF meeting, I would like to point out
that we (MOTOROLA and INRIA Planete) have submitted a new draft that
deals with mobility of an entire network: "Network Mobility Support in
IPv6: Problem Statement and Requirements"
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ernst-mobileip-monetv6-00.txt

This new draft discusses characteristics and problems and define the
terminology.   More importantly, it lists a number of REQUIREMENTS for
Network Mobility Support.   I would like interested people to go read
the draft on to discuss it on the mailing list prior to next meeting.  
I have a slot to discuss issues and requirements pertaining to this.  

Following this discussion, I would like to ask to include "Network
Mobiliy Support" in the Mobile IP Working Group charter.  Many people
have already manifested interest in this, and nobody is against it up to
now.   Then, your feedback is very important. 

Actually, we have 2 drafts. Please do not confuse them:
- "Network Mobility Support in IPv6: Problem Statement and Requirements" 
   
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ernst-mobileip-monetv6-00.txt
    Motorola Labs and INRIA Planete, France
   13 July 2001

   This draft is generic and does not propose any solutions, just
problems and requirements.  

- "Mobile Networks Support in Mobile IPv6 (Prefix Scope Binding
Updates)"
  
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ernst-mobileip-v6-network-02.txt
   Motorola Labs and INRIA Planete, France
   Last Update: 22 June 2001 - draft-00 presented at 48th IETF
Pittsburgh.

   This draft proposes Mobile IPv6 enhancements (advertising a careof
address for a prefix).   The "security issues" section has been enhanced
in the last update, together with other things.  See section changes. 
If you have any comments on this, please discuss it on the mailing list
too.      

The terminology used in the two drafts is a bit different, because there
was a need to refine it.

Thanks,
Thierry.

--
* mailto:[email-masked]  Tel +33 (0) 4 76 61 52 69 
* INRIA Rhone-Alpes Projet PLANETE       (fax 52 52) 
* and MOTOROLA Labs Paris
* http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/people/ernst/Welcome.html