Subject: [mobile-ip] New draft on NAT-VPN traversal for Mobile IPv4

From: "Iyer, Prakash" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:57:23 -0700

This draft was submitted last week but has'nt made it out of the queue yet.
Posting a preview copy.

-Prakash
 <<draft-adrangi-mipv4-midbox-traversal-00.ZIP>>

---

From: "Henrik Levkowetz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:15:56 +0200

This draft (draft-adrangi-mipv4-midbox-traversal-00.txt) seems to have been 
announced on the IETF-Announce list, but not on the Mobile IP list.

Anyway, I've read through it with interest, and the first thing to hit
me was that section 4 provides detailed requirements for the proposed
MIP proxy, but I find little functional description to help me understand
what exactly the MIP proxy does, and what benefits it has, especially
compared with the recent drafts draft-levkowetz-mobileip-nat-tunnel-00.txt
and draft-vaarala-mobileip-nat-traversal-00.txt . Some better understanding
appears gradually as I read the rest of the draft, but this still seems
a bit backwards.

Coming to section 5, it seems that the scheme described is very much more
complex than the scheme described by the earlier drafts mentioned. Does 
it add any functionality to offset the added complexity? 

In section 6, it seems to me that you are solving IPsec problems which
are solved in much simpler manner by the aforementioned drafts, too.

Maybe we could get together in London and see if we have missed any of your
capabilities in the simpler solutions described in draft-vaarala-mobileip-
nat-traversal-00.txt and draft-levkowetz-mobileip-nat-tunnel-00.txt?

	Best regards,

		Henrik