Subject: [mobile-ip] draft-soliman-mobileip-flow-move-00.txt as a WG item ?

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:49:52 +0200

Folks, 

After some discussion with the chairs I'm writing this mail to
ask whether anyone has any objection to allowing this draft to
be resubmitted as a WG item:
http://standards.ericsson.net/hesham//draft-soliman-mobileip-flow-move-00.txt

The draft was not presented in London, however the draft was originally 
part of HMIPv6 (load balancing) but was removed to reduce the scope
of HMIPv6. This was based on feedback from the WG in Minneapolis. 

Abstract

   The aim of this draft is to introduce a new extension to MIPv6 to
   allow hosts to direct inbound flows individually to certain preferred
   interfaces. This extension to MIPv6 allows hosts to take full
   advantage of the diverse access technologies that they may be
   connected to and direct their traffic according to internal policies
   specified by the users or applications.

Some of the comments that were received before London and 
will be added to the new revision:

- Split the flow movement suboption to 2: One relying on the flow 
  label and another using port numbers. This will save a significant
  amount of BW over the air. 

- Add a new section to describe the modifications to the Binding 
  Cache's Conceptual data structure.

Any objections ?

Regs,
Hesham

---

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:29:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hesham,

I would prefer to wait on making this a working group item. While 
intertechnology handover is an important topic, it is not clear at
this point what the requirements are and whether a change in MIPv6
is really necessary. It might rather be an item for Seamoby, for
example. I have not had time to review this draft in detail, and
would prefer a more comprehensive discussion on intertechnology
handover prior to committing to working group items, as opposed
to picking and choosing particular mechanisms piecemeal. The
latter approach has poorly served the working group in the past.

		jak

>From: "Hesham Soliman  (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
>To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: [mobile-ip] draft-soliman-mobileip-flow-move-00.txt as a WG item ?
>Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:49:52 +0200
>
>Folks, 
>