Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] RFC2002bis

From: Marcello Lioy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:05:20 +0200

At 22:23 8/12/2001, [email-masked] wrote:
> >This could be an issue.  TIA/EIA IS-835 (the packet data standard for
> >CDMA2000) is going to be deployed in North America this fall.  It
>specifies
> >the user of RFC 2002.  There are two major areas of incompatibilty in
>RFC
> >2002bis:
> >1) the inclusion of the SPI in the auth calculation
> >2) HMAC_MD5 if that is decided on.
> >
>
>So IS-835 implemantations would  be compliant with RFC2002.  The SPI
>interpretation in 2002 was a problem which was one of the reasons for
>working on 2002bis.

This is true - however some of the network infrastructure vendors are 
following the letter of the law and not including the SPI.  Once this is 
deployed (which will be soon), fixing it will be difficult.

> >Both of these things break 2002 - which means that the mobiles and
> >infrastructure that are 835 compliant will be obsoleted when RFC 2002
> >is obsoleted.
> >
>
>Well, the IS835 implementations would still be compliant with RFC2002,
>which would be obsoleted by a new RFC. The point is they would still
>be compliant with RFC2002, but NOT the new RFC which supercedes it.

True and since this is a closed system it is not all that dramatic - but it 
would be nice if it were "future proof."

> >I think that both of these fixes are good (the SPI was a bug that slipped
> >through in 2002, and HMAC sounds like it is less vulnerable than vanila
> >MD5) but they could cause issues in these planned network
> >deployments.
>
>The IS-835 network is not yet deployed on a commercial basis. And you
>seem to agree that the above fixes would be good for the spec. Would
>make sense to consider making these changes now than later when it is
>deployed.

While the network is not deployed commercially, North American deployment 
is expected before the end of this year, which is why I raised my concerns 
to the list.

-----------------------------------
Marcello (Wandering through France)