Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Analysis of Latency Propagation with Buffering

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:17:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Charlie,

>
>>> I wanted to clarify that it isn't buffering itself that adds delay.
>>> A packet could be buffered AND transmitted to the mobile node at the
>>> same time, which then would show that buffering does not have to
>>> introduce any delay.  If a packet is received by the mobile node,
>>> then presumably it would prefer not to receive the buffered copy of
>>> that packet at any time in the future.
>
>> Well, I guess I agree, but what is the point of buffering if you
>> are going to transmit it or of transmitting it if you are going
>> to buffer it? The two options seem mutually exclusive to me.
>> Am I missing something?
>
>The point of buffering and simultaneously transmitting is that
>sometimes the mobile node might not be there to receive the transmitted
>packet -- say because it moved to a new access router.  Then it would
>request the previous access router to send the buffered packets that
>it had not already received.
>

OK, now I understand. I suggested something like this, but with
the new AR doing the buffering, in Appendix B of the BETH draft.

	jak

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:24:37 -0700

> the new AR doing the buffering, in Appendix B of the BETH draft.

in which case the mobile doesn't have to request the packets, since
opening the L2 would cause buffered packets to be released to the 
mobile node.

PatC