Subject: [mobile-ip] Re: [seamoby] Resend:New Draft:Issues in Candidate Access Router Discovery

From: "Eunsoo Shim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:50:32 -0400

Hi,

It's an interesting draft.
Actually we submitted an I-D for fast handoff in MIPv4 last November with
the idea of using the neighboring FA information.
Unfortunately the I-D does not exist in the archive any more but it is
available at
http://www.ctr.columbia.edu/~eunsoo/paper/draft-shim-mobileip-neighbor-00.tx
t.
The neighbor FA in our draft is the PAAR described in your draft.
The section 2 (Neighbor FA Information) describes a mechanism that each FA
(AR in MIPv6) discovers its neighboring FAs (PAARs). It is a simple
mechanism where each MN reports to the new FA (AR) of its old FA(AR) and
then the new FA learns about the old FA as one of its neighbor FAs. Also the
new FA informs the old FA of itself. Thus two FAs get to know each other.
After a certain transition period, a FA gets to know its all neighbor FAs.
It is a dynamic and distributed algorithm.

We believe our neighbor FA discovery mechanism can be a solution for the
problem of identifying the candidate ARs.

Thanks.

Eunsoo

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 10:48 AM
Subject: [seamoby] Resend:New Draft:Issues in Candidate Access Router
Discovery

I'm resending the draft to the mailing list as I did not see it appear
in the  archives. Sorry if you receive multiple copies.
BRs,
Govind.

Abstract:
Handoff in IP mobility protocols involves moving a mobile node's
Layer 3 routing reachability information from one access router to
another, before or after the mobile node has established a Layer 2
connection with the radio access point that is covered by the new
access router. In addition, other context information about the
mobile node's packet session may be transferred from the old access
router to the new one, in order to minimize the service disruption
during the handoff process. While the exact details of how this is
accomplished vary depending on the IP mobility and seamless handoff
protocols, one common thread required for seamless handoffs is
identifying the candidate access routers for the mobile node's
handoff. When a collection of candidates has been identified, an
algorithm is run to determine the target access router, and this
router becomes the target of handoff at Layer 3. This document
presents a problem statement describing issues involved in designing
a candidate access router discovery protocol. The document does not
discuss the algorithm by which the actual target router is
identified, nor how the handoff to the target is achieved.

Comments are welcome.

Best Regards,
Govind.

QÍQ
 <<draft-ietf-seamoby-CARdiscovery-issues-00.txt>>