Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Analysis of Latency Propagation with Buffering

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:32:30 -0700

Hello Jim,

> The concern isn't with the maximum delay added to any packet, but
> rather the time period in which *any* traffic is buffered. The longer
> traffic is buffered, the longer it loses its "real time" characteristic,
             ^^^^^^^^delayed before reception
> and the more likely users will perceive the converstation as stilted
> or hear some artifact.

I wanted to clarify that it isn't buffering itself that adds delay.
A packet could be buffered AND transmitted to the mobile node at the
same time, which then would show that buffering does not have to
introduce any delay.  If a packet is received by the mobile node,
then presumably it would prefer not to receive the buffered copy of
that packet at any time in the future.

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:27:36 -0700

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:32:30AM -0700, Charles E. Perkins wrote:
> If a packet is received by the mobile node,

sure, otherwise that would sure look like bicasting :)

PatC