Subject: [mobile-ip] home address option and DHAAD in MIPv6

From: Lars Henrik Petander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:10:51 +0300 (EET DST)

Hello Charlie,

When implementing DHAAD, we noticed that the resending policy for the
DHAAD request is not specified in draft 14. However, it probably should be
specified, since the initial request or reply can easily get lost if MN
moves.
 
Regarding the processing of the home address option section 8.1 says:
   "... However, any actual modifications
   to the Source Address field in the packet's IPv6 header MUST not
   be performed until after all processing of other options contained
   in the same Destination Options extension header is completed."

Normally destination options are handled independently of each other in
the order they are in the packet, which allows a clean design for
destination option processing. Unfortuantely draft section 8.1 breaks this
and requires the handler to go back to the home address option after
processing all other destination options in the header. I wonder, whether
this behaviour is really worth the complications it causes.

If it is absolutely necessary to handle the home address option only after
the other options are processed, it would IMHO be better to make the
sender of the packet responsible for the ordering. (The sender would add
the home address option as the last option in the 1. destination options
header.) 

Regards,

Henrik