Subject: [mobile-ip] DDOS attacks and mobile-ip

From: Asad Samar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:31:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All

We are a group of students at the Carnegie Mellon University and are
thinking about modeling DDOS (distributed denial of service) attacks in
the mobile environment, specifically in the context of mobile IP for our
semster project.

The main goals would be to:

--get a feel of how launching a DDOS attack in this environment (based on
mobile-ip) is easier/more difficult than a traditional static network and
why?

--are there new ways of launching/preventing DDOS attacks in such an
environment which havent been explored in the static scope.

--can we propose some changes in the protocol itself or maybe in the
higher layers that would prevent against such attacks

We just joined the mailing list but seems like there is a lot of activity
these days on security issues in the protocol...that might help us.

Is there anyone working on the DDOS specific issues?  Something really
useful for us would be a way to setup some sort of a testbed where we can
possibly emulate such an attack. If you have any
code/development-kits/pointers on previous work/testbed facilities that we
can use in this respect, that will be very useful.

We will greatly appreciate any hints.
Thanks
Asad~Brenda~Humayun

---

From: Pars MUTAF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:54:36 +0200

> environment which havent been explored in the static scope.

The following I-D might interest you. There is a section on DoS attacks,
which explains how they can be amplified and distributed by the IP paging
process in the cellular Internet (also in rfc3154).

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mutaf-paging-security-requirements-00.txt

pars