Subject: [mobile-ip] Feeback from WG on draft-ietf-mobileip-gnaie-05.txt

From: "Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:49:02 -0600

Hello,

The Generalized NAI (GNAI) Extension for Mobile IPv4 I-D
(draft-ietf-mobileip-gnaie-05.txt) defines two new extensions:
1. The FA-NAI Extension 
2. The HA-NAI extension

The I-D does not state any real applicability of these extensions and
hence is merely a placeholder for these two new NAI types in addition
to proposing the use of the MIER format for these MIP NAIs. 

I believe it is appropriate that an extension be specified in an I-D
that actually has a use for it. Currently the I-D
draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-05.txt utilizes the FA-NAI extension,
but this is carried in agent advts. Hence it would be appropriate for
the reg-tunnel I-D to also specify the FA-NAI extension. And if there
is a need for the HA-NAI extension elsewhere, that I-D should specify
it. 

I would like to solicit feedback from the WG about dropping the GNAIE
I-D as a WG doc. If you believe there are good reasons for keeping
this I-D, please let us know.

-Basavaraj