Subject: [mobile-ip] Reserving type numbers for experimental use

From: "Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:49:20 -0500

Hello,

We would like to get some feedback from WG members on the following
proposal:
WG documents that specify new extensions and error codes should be
able to utilize extension numbers and error codes from a range of
reserved numbers (by IANA) for experimental use. 
This is especially useful for doing interop testing while waiting for
the WG I-D to reach RFC status and actual type numbers assigned by
IANA. The experimental numbers would be returned to the pool once IANA
had assigned the proper numbers from the registry and implementations
would have to conform to the actual type numbers specified in the
associated RFC. 

The experimental numbers (a small range) reserved for the skippable
and non-skippable extensions should be mentioned in 2002bis as it will
serve as the baseline for Mobile IPv4 specifications. 

Should we add this to 2002bis as a part of the IANA considerations
section? 

Regards,
-Basavaraj

---

From: Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:16:53 +0300

> reserved numbers (by IANA) for experimental use. 

Would it be more effective if I-D authors used non-reserved numbers
in their drafts, without any offical permission. There would probably
not be any conflicts in 99% of the cases, and the numbers would get
accepted as such. Or doesn't IANA like this? 

Isn't this how many authors of I-Ds have done in the past?  Just to
mention one example, draft-ietf-mobileip-optim-11.txt defines four new
MIPv4 message types and their type numbers (16-19). Am I completely
missing something?

  Bjorn
-- 
Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>                       +358 50 341 2556
Lifix Systems Oy <http://www.lifix.fi/>                 PGP id 5AFC144B
Yliopistonkatu 5, 3rd floor; FIN-00100 Helsinki