Subject: [mobile-ip] Updating Home Agnet binding entry upon receipt of a re-registrati on request

From: "Adrangi, Farid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:50:58 -0700

What should the home agent (HA) do with a binding entry if the it decides to
reject a re-registration request associated with that binding entry?
Consider MN <perm-address, care-of-address> registers with a HA
successfully.  Later on, the MN decides to refresh its registration with the
HA by sending another registration request.  However, this time HA rejects
the registration request with an "unspecified reason".  What is the expected
behavior of HA and MN at this point?  Should HA keep the old registration
binding entry (of course, if its life-time hasn't already expired)?  Should
MN assume that the old registration binding entry is still valid at the HA?
I haven't found any explicit explanation in the spec pertaining to this
problem (or, perhaps someone can correct me).
regards,
Farid

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:58:01 -0700

Hello Farid,

If the home agent rejects a registration request, it MUST NOT
alter the existing valid registration information (in v4,
considered to be the relevant entry in the home list).

Regards,
Charlie P.