Subject: [mobile-ip] DIAMETER support for MIP question

From: "Kuntal Chowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 14:15:31 -0500

Pat/Charlie,
I am curious to know the implication on a mobile node when it sends 0.0.0.0
in the HA address field in MIP registration request for HA assignment in the
local network but the HA gets assigned in the home network. In section 4.2
in "draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-02", there is an error code
"DIAMETER_ERROR_NO_FOREIGN_HA_SERVICE 5007" which AAAF sends back to AAAH to
inform that it cannot assign a HA in the local network. In this case, does
the AAAH assign a HA in the home network? Does the mobile node get any
indication of this event? 

Regards,
Kuntal

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:23:36 -0700

hmmm... first off, version 2 is quite old, and 7 should be used (or even better
the 08 alpha released last week).

In the later versions, the AAAF sets a bit if it is willing to provide HA services
in the foreign network. Further, the AAAH has the option to choose whether it is
willing to let the mobile use this service. If so, it forwards the HAR to the
foreign network's AAAF, otherwise it sends the HAR to a local HA.

The zero HA address is a request to have a home agent dynamically assigned to the
mobile.

hope this helps,

PatC