Subject: [mobile-ip] Improving BETH: Network controlled nCoA creation in MN

From: "Sreemanthula Srinivas (NRC/Dallas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:10:36 -0500

We are making the following proposals for improving BETH.  Please refer 
to the following draft for more details.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sreeman-enhance-beth-ipv6-00.t
xt

Current BETH:
According to draft-kempf-beth-ipv6-02.txt, the BET tunnels between the
oAR and the nAR can be renewed and as such the MN may never really
need to get a nCOA (at the nAR) even though it is now being served by
that AR. A PrtRtAdv is sent to the MN (to get a nCOA) only when the
lifetime of the tunnel cannot be extended (or other reasons).
 
Proposal:
It should be possible for the network to have more control in forcing
the MN to acquire a
new COA at the nAR and thus handoff to nAR. Hence it should be possible
to send the MN a
modified ProxyRtrAdvt based on tunnel lifetime determined. It should be
possible to do so from either the oAR and the nAR. We propose to extend
the existing 
conditions in draft-kempf-beth-ipv6-02.txt under which the network can
ask the MN 
to get a nCoA to include local policies as the reason.

Reason:
Different domains will manage traffic and QoS according to specific
mechanisms and policies. 
For some networks it may be necessary or preferrable to allow the
existence of BETs only for 
a limited period of time, thus it should be possible for the network to
force the MN to get a nCoA once the BET is established.