Subject: [mobile-ip] IPv6 Routing Header, Home Address security draft

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:03:29 +0300 (EEST)

Hello folks,

(I think mobile-ip@ is probably the best place for possible follow-ups)

I've submitted the following "Informational-nature" draft to
internet-drafts:

"Security of IPv6 Routing Header and Home Address Options"
http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/draft-savola-ipv6-rh-ha-security-00.txt

This raises the concern, among others, on MIPv6-imposed requirements and
recommendations for _all_ IPv6 nodes.  Binding Updates is a different
problem, being discussed separately, and only RH and HA are covered.

It should be noted, of course, that there are very valid uses for routing
header outside of mobile ip too.  But MIPv6 imposes some requirements for
RH use, so it might be better to restrict its use in some way or another.

The abstract:

   All IPv6 nodes must be able to process Routing Header [IPV6] and Home
   Address [MIPV6] Options.  With these, packet filter access lists can
   be tricked (among other things) as the destination and source
   addresses, respectively, are being rewritten as the packet traverses
   the network.  Some of the security considerations of these features
   are analyzed, and a few possible solutions presented.  It will be
   shown that with the current architecture, the network-based security
   does not seem to scale to the requirements of Mobile IPv6; it seems
   possible that unless security is taken seriously when implementing
   the nodes, the new Mobile IPv6 requirements might not be allowed to
   be used at all in some circumstances.

Comments welcome, of course.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords