Subject: [mobile-ip] Status of draft-ietf-mobileip-gnaie-04.txt?

From: Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:05:41 +0300

What is the current status of the Generalized NAI Extension draft?

Some questions about the draft:
- Is there any recommended Type number for the GNAI extension that can
  be (temporarly) used for e.g. interoperability testing?
- The GNAI extension in the MIER draft had a sub type for the Previous
  FA-NAI. Is anything similar planned for the GNAI draft? Having
  this would be useful in e.g. hierarchial and smooth handoff
  solutions.
- The draft states that the "extension may be carried by
  Registration Request and Reply messages". Why not allow them in
  agent advertisements also, so that the e.g. FAs can advertise
  their NAI? For example, draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-05.txt
  uses the GNAIE in advertisements.

Regards,
Bjorn

-- 
Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>                       +358 50 341 2556
Lifix Systems Oy <http://www.lifix.fi/>                 PGP id 5AFC144B
Yliopistonkatu 5, 3rd floor; FIN-00100 Helsinki

---

From: "Mohamed Khalil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:09:29 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 10:00 AM
To: mobile-ip
Cc: bjorn
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Status of draft-ietf-mobileip-gnaie-04.txt?

The GNAIE draft has completed WG last call. It is currently being
revised based on coments received from the IESG. A new version will be
made available this week. Also it goes back to the IESG after it is
announced for moving forward to RFC status.

>  be (temporarly) used for e.g. interoperability testing?

Not at the moment. We are currently working with IANA and the IESG to
see if we can assign temporary numbers to extensions specified by WG
documents for interop testing. Will see what we can do while waiting
for the type number for GNAIE.

>  this would be useful in e.g. hierarchial and smooth handoff

This has not been incorporated into the current GNAIE spec. And as you
are aware the MIER extension format itself has been included as a part
of 2002bis and hence the MIER I-D will be deprecated.

>  uses the GNAIE in advertisements.

Not sure if the authors have thought of this or if they have any
reasons why it canot be sent in Agent Advts. MK, Pat? 

MK> I don't see any problem of adding a text to the draft to allow including
the GNAI extension into the AA

>Bjorn

Basavaraj

---

From: "Mohamed Khalil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:53:27 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 10:00 AM
To: mobile-ip
Cc: bjorn
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Status of draft-ietf-mobileip-gnaie-04.txt?

MK> As I indicated before that we can add the text to GNAI to include the
extension in the AA. Since MIER is part of 

Basavaraj

---

From: "Mohamed Khalil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:01:52 -0500

Hi All,

I have added section 3.1 as follows:

      When a MN or HA adds a GNAI extension to a registration message,
      the extension MUST appear prior to any  authentication extensions.

      In the event the FA adds an GNAI extension to a registration message,
      the extension MUST appear prior to any  authentication extensions 
      added by the FA.

      The FA and HA MAY include its GNAI extension in the Agent
      Advertisement message. If present, the  extension MUST appear
      in the Agent Advertisement message after any of the advertisement 
      extensions defined in [4].
Any comments?

-----Original Message-----
From: Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 10:00 AM
To: mobile-ip
Cc: bjorn
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Status of draft-ietf-mobileip-gnaie-04.txt?

Basavaraj

---

From: "Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:00:25 -0500

Basavaraj

---

From: "Mohamed Khalil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 15:41:34 -0500

All,
 
Since this draft has already been through WG last call and IETF last call,
any addition to the current DRAFT might cause unnecessary delay for this
draft to go as standard doc. Authors suggest that new features which WG sees
that are useful, may be added by new future proposals.
 
MK

-----Original Message-----
From: Khalil, Mohamed [RICH1:2N51:EXCH] 
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 10:09 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Status of draft-ietf-mobileip-gnaie-04.txt?

-----Original Message----- 
From: Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas) [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 10:00 AM 
To: mobile-ip 
Cc: bjorn 
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Status of draft-ietf-mobileip-gnaie-04.txt? 

Basavaraj