Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile IPv6 - Issue 72 (Forwarding from previous CoA)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:34:29 -0500

Issue 72: Forwarding from Previous Care of Address
--------------------------------------------------

http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue72.txt

Section 11.6.6 of the Mobile IPv6 specification describes the ability
to forward packets from a previous CoA to the new CoA as a result of
the MN connecting to a new link.

Since the BU sent to an HA on the previous link requires the same
security as the BUs sent to the MNs Home Agent (on home link), this is
quite a difficult proposition from an implementation and deployment
perspective. So,

Recommendation:
---------------

The Mobile IP WG is currently working on fast handoffs for Mobile IPv6
which deals with the aspect of forwarding packets from the previous
CoA to the new CoA (draft-ietf-mobileip-fast-mipv6-04.txt).

Hence this entire feature can effectively be dropped out of the base
Mobile IPv6 specification and pursued independently as a separate
feature for IPv6 mobility. 
All text associated with the forwarding from previous CoA will be
deleted from the current specification.

If you have any concerns or views on why this feature should be a part
of the base specification, please post them to the list. 

-Basavaraj

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:45:57 -0700

> Issue 72: Forwarding from Previous Care of Address

FBU can contain New CoA as the address to which previous
CoA is bound.

However, a clarification: v05 proposes that forwarding be done from
previous
CoA to New AR's IP address. This would allow faster forwarding when the
MN sends
FBU from the new link, since it does not have to wait until it configures

a new CoA. Even when FBU is sent from the previous link, binding
previous CoA to New AR's IP address is safer since the New AR may
not like the New CoA (proposed in HI).

Regards,

-Rajeev