Subject: [mobile-ip] Header lengths in v18

From: "Greg O'Shea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:45:22 +0100

From section 6.1.7 (Binding Update message): "If no actual options are
present in this message, no padding is necessary and the Header Len
field will be set to 4."
The Mobility Header has 6 bytes followed by 6 bytes of Binding Update
message (sections 6.1.1 and 6.1.7 respectively) yielding 12 bytes. The
header len is in 8-byte units so a header length of 4 means 32 bytes.
I think the text in 6.1.7 should read as follows:
"If no actual options are present in this message, 4 bytes of padding
are necessary and the Header Len field will be set to 2".
I haven't checked the padding and length examples in any of the other
sections (yet).

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 15:15:18 +0300

Greg O'Shea wrote:
>  From section 6.1.7 (Binding Update message):

Yes! (Also noted in issue #87 by Brian Haley).

Jari

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 18:55:53 +0300 (EEST)

Would it be useful to publish some "interim versions" (assuming "accepted 
changes" have already been edited in) -- that would make reviewing much 
easier especially for folks who haven't been paying that close attention?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 00:15:08 +0300

> easier especially for folks who haven't been paying that close attention?

Well, this would be useful (and perhaps it should be called -19 then?) but
unfortunately we are not quite there yet with all the edits. I've been
a bit too busy with other things, mostly personal stuff... things should
be improving, however.

The best current source for the latest text is -18 + the issues files which
we are updating to contain text proposals. Issue files are at:
http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/MIPv6-Issues.html
and there's also a new field in the table to indicate whether a text
proposal exists or not.

Jari