Subject: [mobile-ip] Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:06:20 -0400

From: "Pramod Business" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:24:54 -0700 (PDT)

Regarding co-located COA, the mobile IP RFC states the following:

A "co-located care-of address" is a care-of address acquired by
         the mobile node as a local IP address through some external
         means, which the mobile node then associates with one of its
         own network interfaces.  The address may be dynamically
         acquired as a temporary address by the mobile node such as
         through DHCP [13], or may be owned by the mobile node as a
         long-term address for its use only while visiting some foreign
         network.  Specific external methods of acquiring a local IP
         address for use as a co-located care-of address are beyond the
         scope of this document.  

The DHCP part I understand. How does one get a long-term address and
how would this long-term care-of address work when the mobile node roams
across foreign networks.

I am new to this mailing list and may have missed previous discussions on 
this topic. If so, I would appreciate it if the longstanding members 
would point me to such a discussion.

Thanks,
Pramod.