Subject: [mobile-ip] Binding Lifetime Value

From: Karann Chew <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:44:16 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Is there a default value for binding lifetime in MIPv6?
(MIPv6 specifies MAX_RR_BINDING_LIFE is 420 seconds).

If not what is the "typical" value?  I need this value for modelling &
simulation purpose.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
	Karann

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:34:45 +0300

> If not what is the "typical" value?  I need this value for modelling &

(The limit you cite is there for a security reason. In practise the
mobile node might stay longer at the same location and would have
to re-establish the binding now and then.)

There is no defined default for the lifetime. I would expect
implementations to put in a reasonable value based on their
knowledge of the link type and movements. A very advanced
implementation might use speed and network topology
information to estimate a likely lifetime. Or the implementations
might put in just a long value, and simply re-establish the
binding once they have moved. For your simulation, do you
need the value that is put to the BU, or the time that node
actually stays in the same place? Note that the signaling
messages are the same regardless of the value in the BU if
the node stays in the same place for less than 420 seconds
(assuming the node didn't predict a too short lifetime).
If you go beyond 420 seconds, then there will be additional
signaling messages.

Jari