Subject: [mobile-ip] A question about mobile ip MIB draft

From: Peter Zou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:02:15 -0400

I have a question about the draft of mobile ip MIB:
"The Definitions of Managed Objects for IP Mobility Support using SMIv2,
revised draft-ietf-mobileip-rfc2006bis-01.txt" 

In the "haRegCounterEntry", it says the index will be
"haMobilityBindingMnIdType" and "haMobilityBindingId".
However, in the table itself, the indexes are nowhere to be found. So how
does anyone index into the haRegCounterTable?

The same thing happens to haRegCounterTable in RFC 2006. So what do I miss
here?

Thanks
-Peter

---

From: kleung <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:56:23 -0700

Hi Peter.

>does anyone index into the haRegCounterTable?

A quick description from the draft:

The MN ID may be the NAI and Binding ID is the IP address of MN.

   (2)  Three new textual conventions were added : MipEntityIdentifier-
        Type, MipEntityIdentifier and MipEntityIdentifierNAI.  These
        textual conventions were defined to take into account that
        mobile nodes can be identified by other than ipaddress.

The haRegCounterEntry is indexed by haMobilityBindingMnIDType and
haMobilityBindingMnID, described below:

    haMobilityBindingMnIdType OBJECT-TYPE
         SYNTAX      MipEntityIdentifierType
         MAX-ACCESS  read-only
         STATUS      current
         DESCRIPTION
                 "The type of the mobile node's identifier."
         ::= { haMobilityBindingEntry 9 }

    haMobilityBindingMnId OBJECT-TYPE

         SYNTAX      MipEntityIdentifier
         MAX-ACCESS  read-only
         STATUS      current
         DESCRIPTION
                 "The identifier of the mobile node."
         ::= { haMobilityBindingEntry 10 }

The definition of MipEntityIdentifierType and MipEntityIdentifier are below:

    MipEntityIdentifierType ::=  TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
        STATUS       current
        DESCRIPTION
                "A value that represents a type of Mobile IP entity
                identifier.
                other(1)     Indicates identifier which
                             is not in one of the formats defined
                             below.

                ipaddress(2) IP address as defined by InetAddressIPv4
                             textual convention in INET-ADDRESS-MIB.

                nai(3)       A network access identifier as defined by
                             the CmiEntityIdentifierNAI textual
                             convention."
        REFERENCE
                "RFC2851 - Textual Conventions for Internet Network
                Addresses"
        SYNTAX       INTEGER {
                         other(1),
                         ipaddress(2),

                         nai(3)
                     }

    MipEntityIdentifier ::=  TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
        STATUS       current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Represents the generic identifier for Mobile IP
                entities.  A CmiEntityIdentifier value is always
                interpreted within the context of a
                CmiEntityIdentifierType  value.
                             Foreign agents and Home agents are
                identified by the IP addresses.  Mobile nodes can be
                identified in more than one way e.g. IP addresses,
                network access identifiers (NAI).  If mobile node is
                identified by  something other than IP address say by
                NAI and it gets IP address dynamically from the home
                agent then value of object of this type should be same
                as NAI.  This is because IP address is not tied with
                mobile node and it can change across registrations over
                period of time."
        SYNTAX       OCTET STRING (SIZE (1..255))

Does this help?

>The same thing happens to haRegCounterTable in RFC 2006. So what do I miss

    haCounterEntry  OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX      HaCounterEntry
        MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
        STATUS      current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Registration statistics for one mobile node."
        INDEX   { haMobilityBindingMN }
        ::= { haCounterTable 1 }

The index is the IP address of MN.

    haMobilityBindingMN    OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX      IpAddress
        MAX-ACCESS  read-only
        STATUS      current
        DESCRIPTION
                "Mobile node's home (IP) address."
        ::= { haMobilityBindingEntry 1 }

The old way was using only IP address as index since this happens to be
the identifier of the MN as well.  

The new way supports NAI and static IP address to identify the MN.

Kent

-- 
--
     |           |                   Kent Leung
    :|:         :|:                  IOS Development
   :|||:       :|||:                 Voice: 408.526.5030
  :|||||||:   :|||||||:              Email: [email-masked]
.:|||||||||:.:|||||||||:.            URL  : http://wwwin-mobileip:8000
 c i s c o S y s t e m s             "Enabling the mobile wireless age!"