Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile IPv6 - Issue 74 (Using the CoA as SRC Addr for short-term communications)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:21:35 -0500

Issue 74: Using the CoA as SRC Addr for short-term communications
------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue74.txt

On pg. 94 in Section 11.2.1, the second bullet item allows the MN to
use the CoA for certain communications, but I have a difficult time
seeing how this could be done given the standard socket API. Perhaps
this is not an issue for this spec, but it does need some
consideration.

On the next page, the direct delivery option should mention that the
described technique won't work without a Binding Cache entry or an
IPsec SA.

Recommendation:
---------------

The MN while on a foreign link can choose to use the CoA for short
lived communications. IPv6 WG I-D
draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-09.txt is currently work in
progress and provides a solution w.r.t the address that is selected
for various sessions or applications. Hence policy would specify what
address to use (HoA or CoA) as the source address. The Mobile Ipv6
specification hence does not have to deal with specifying how the MN
chooses the source address and let the IPv6 WG specify this
funcationality. Hence no change to the current recommendation for the
short-term communications text in section 11.2.1

The direct delivery sub section specification in section 11.2.1 should
include the following additional text:

"
The MN may send packets to the CN that includes the home address
destination option directly to the CN only if the MN is aware that the
CN already has a binding cache entry for the MNs Home address. Section
9.2.2 specifies the rules for Home Address Destination Option
Processing at a CN. The MN needs to ensure that there exists an active
binding cache for its home address in order to ensure that the CN will
process the packet.
"

If you have any concerns with the above recommendation, please send a
note to the Mobile IP mailing list.

-Basavaraj

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:38:10 -0700

Raj,

I think some sort of communication, either formal or informal, needs to be made
to the IPv6 WG team doing the IPv6 socket API so that support for this is
inserted, if it isn't already there. It seems like this is generating a
requirement on the socket API that needs to be taken into account.

            jak

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 6:21 PM
Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile IPv6 - Issue 74 (Using the CoA as SRC Addr for
short-term communications)