Subject: [mobile-ip] Fastv6:Issue 1: Forwarding without FBU

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:59:02 -0700

Issue: Should the Previous AR forward packets
on the tunnel without explicitly receiving an FBU
from the MN ?

Background: In base Mobile IP, there has been considerable
discussion on traffic redirection and associated security
issues. Should fastv6 spec allow the PAR to enable packet
forwarding without explicitly receiving a (Fast) Binding
Update from the MN ? In particular, should we assume that
link layer would provide necessary authorization to redirect
traffic ?

Provide your input as either

YES: also provide a "brief" reasoning
NO: may provide a "brief" reasoning

Thanks,

-Rajeev

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:12:56 -0700

> link layer would provide necessary authorization to redirect

We should not assume that the link layer can do anything, but the option should
be available to forward based on link layer information (in particular, a link
down trigger on the old access router) if available.

> NO: may provide a "brief" reasoning

The specification should allow an optimization that would allow forwarding based
on link down information on the old access router if such information is
(securely) available without receipt of the BU.  The reason is because, after
all, this specification is about optimization and therefore it should encompass
the spectrum of possibilities for utilizing link layer information and not
exclude one based on the possibility that some link layers don't support it
(i.e. only allow the lowest common denominator optimization).

This optimization is a SHOULD based on availability of the link layer
information.

            jak