Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobility Header Length

From: Vrizlynn Thing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:49:31 +0800

Hi,

I understand that it's stated in Section 6.1.1 that the Mobility Header Length includes the length of the payload protocol (next header), mobility header type, header length, checksum and the message data, in 8-octet units. However, in IPv6 specs. (RFC 2460), it's stated that extension headers' length does not include the first 8-octet. 
Will it result in inconsistency when processing the extension headers? 
Thank you.

Regards,
Vrizlynn Thing (Ms.)
Senior Engineer

Laboratories for Information Technology
21 Heng Mui Keng Terrace
Singapore 119613
Tel: +65 68746728
Fax: +65 67768109
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:17:15 +0300

Vrizlynn Thing wrote:

> I understand that it's stated in Section 6.1.1 that the Mobility Header 
> Length includes the length of the payload protocol (next header), 
> mobility header type, header length, checksum and the message data, in 
> 8-octet units. However, in IPv6 specs. (RFC 2460), it's stated that 
> extension headers' length does not include the first 8-octet.
> 

Well, this would not have caused problems as long as the MH was kept
a final header. However, issue #93 changed this already. The new text
says:

	8-bit unsigned integer. Length of the Mobility Header in units of 8
	octets, excluding the first 8 octets.