Subject: [mobile-ip] MIPv6: Status code for Home and CareOf indices expired

From: "Greg O'Shea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:09:51 +0100

There is no way for a MN to know if its Home and CareOf nonces for a
given CN have expired, and there may be occasions on which both have
expired (see 5.2.7). As things stand it may take two successive BU's for
the MN to discover and correct this situation. We could save round-trips
by adding an extra status code to section 6.1.8 meaning "Expired Home
and CareOf Nonce Indices" in response to which the MN issues both HoTi
and CoTi.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:50:19 +0300

> and CareOf Nonce Indices" in response to which the MN issues both HoTi 

I agree. Proposed text to Section 6.1.8:

      140   Expired nonces

Section 9:

    If the mobile node sends a Home or Care-of Nonce Index value which
    is no longer recognized by the correspondent node, then the
    receiving node MUST send back a Binding Acknowledgement with status
    code 138 or 139, respectively.
=>
    If the receiving node no longer recognizes the Home
    Nonce Index value, Care-of Nonce Index value, or both values
    from the Binding Update, then the receiving node MUST
    send back a Binding Acknowledgement with status
    code 138, 139, or 140, respectively.

and

    If the Status field in the Binding Acknowledgement contains the
    value 137 (invalid authenticator), 138 (expired home nonce index),
    or 139 (expired care-of bonce index), then the message MUST NOT
    include the Binding Authorization Data mobility option.
=>
    If the Status field in the Binding Acknowledgement contains the
    value 137 (invalid authenticator), 138 (expired home nonce index),
    139 (expired care-of bonce index), or 140 (expired nonces),
    then the message MUST NOT include the Binding Authorization Data
    mobility option.