Subject: [mobile-ip] Care of Address Option

From: "Alan O'Neill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 23:58:35 -0400

Just submitted a new draft that will appear in the next few days but in the
meantime is at;

http://www.radiorouter.com/technology/draft-oneill-mipv6-cao-00.txt

The Care of Address Option is intended to enable a MN to send directly from
a foreign subnet using its HoA as a source address by redirecting ingress
filtering to undertake the test on the CCoA in the CAO.

The CAO can also be used when either at home or on a foreign network (direct
or reverse tunnelling) to communicate the MN location and hand-off events to
the CN which populates an Inverse BCE. The IBCE may be used by mobility
aware applications / policy issues commensurate with the level of assurance
obtained as to the correctness of the CCoA. The IBCE is not used to redirect
packets but with suitable security enhancements may be useful in the
initiation of RO.

I'd recommend that this be kept well outside the scope of the base spec.

Comments welcome. Apologies if this has been discussed.

Alan.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:49:43 +0300 (EEST)

> filtering to undertake the test on the CCoA in the CAO.
[...]

And you'd think this would be implemented by the vast majority of routers 
so that the option would actually be usable in reality?

(I didn't read the draft, at least yet.)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords