Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile IPv6 - Issue 89 (MH Type field size)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:30:49 -0500

Issue 89: MH Type field size - 8 or 16 bits
-------------------------------------------

http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue89.txt

Issue: The MH type field in (Section 6.1.1, draft 18) is 16 bits and
not 8 bits.  No other IPv6 header has a type larger than 8 bits, and I
(Brian Haley) don't think we'll ever have 65535 types.  Should this be
changed to 8 bits for type and 8 bits reserved?  This also saves a
nthos() for those of us on certain-endian machines 

Recommendation:
---------------

There has been some discussion on this issue but no strong opinions
one way or the other. So lets go with Jari's suggestion which says:

"
Just shorten the field to 8 bits and leave the rest Reserved.
"

If you have any concerns with the above recommendation, please send a
note to the Mobile IP mailing list.

-Basavaraj