Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lucent Technologies Introduces New Flagship CDMA Base Station

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:25:03 -0500

Lucent Technologies Introduces New Flagship CDMA Base Station Built On
Revolutionary Platform for 3G CDMA and UMTS Networks

       Verizon Wireless One of the First to Receive Shipments of System

    MURRAY HILL, N.J., Dec. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Lucent Technologies
(NYSE: LU) today introduced the Lucent Flexent(R) Modular Cell 4.0 -- its new
flagship CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) base station.  The product is
part of Lucent's Flexent(R) OneBTS(TM) family of base stations, built using a
one-of-a-kind digital platform for third-generation (3G) spread-spectrum
technologies.  Verizon Wireless is one of the first customers to receive
shipments of the new product.
    The Modular Cell 4.0 is the highest-capacity base station ever introduced
by Lucent, and more than 70 percent of its hardware is common to Lucent's 3G
UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) base stations.  Service
providers can upgrade the system to utilize innovative Bell-Labs developed
technologies, such as intelligent antennas and BLAST (Bell Labs Layered
Space-Time) multiple input/multiple output (MIMO) technology, which can
further boost capacity to accommodate the growing demand for mobile high-speed
data services.
    "The Modular Cell 4.0 is Lucent's premier CDMA base station, and we expect
it to be very well-received by our customers because it will protect their
network investment for years to come," said Jim Brewington, president of
Lucent's Mobility Solutions Group.  "Our experience in engineering and
designing spread-spectrum systems enabled us to leverage a common platform
with our 3G UMTS products, providing us with significant economies of scale
and time-to-market benefits to our customers."
    Verizon Wireless will test the Modular Cell 4.0 in Connecticut and Florida
in a live commercial network environment.
    This base station platform's design affords mobile operators with several
significant benefits.  It can incorporate power distribution and battery
back-up within the base station, reducing the size of the cell site equipment
footprint by 33 percent, and can yield a 12 percent savings in power
consumption in a wide variety of deployment scenarios over previous versions
of the product.
    Additionally, the Modular Cell 4.0 has OA&M (operations, administration
and management) feature improvements that reduce maintenance time when
components are replaced or when new installations and carrier additions are
made.  It also improves backhaul efficiency, which can help mobile operators
reduce operating expenses.
    The Flexent OneBTS digital radio shelf in the Modular Cell 4.0 protects a
service provider's network investment because it can support new technologies,
via field upgrade kits, including:

    *     dual band capabilities -- base station can support both 850 and 1900
          MHz spectrum in the same cabinet;
    *     mixed mode capabilities -- base station can support both 3G
          CDMA2000(TM) and UMTS in the same cabinet;
    *     transmit diversity -- enhancement that can provide increased voice
          and data capacity whether mobile operator's customer base consists
          of 2G CDMA or 3G CDMA2000 users, or a mix of both;
    *     intelligent antennas -- advanced antenna and digital processing
          technology that further enhances 2G and 3G voice and data capacity
          and coverage;
    *     BLAST -- MIMO technology that uses multiple antennas at base station
          to send and receive wireless signals to mobile devices with multiple
          antennas, which can greatly increase capacity, coverage and speed at
          which data is transmitted.

    Field technicians can make these upgrades to the system without having to
remove it from its deployed location.
    The Modular Cell 4.0 also supports cross-carrier channel sharing, a
technology that increases capacity by enabling channel card elements within
the base station to handle traffic across multiple sectors or carriers.
    The Modular Cell 4.0 is available in both indoor and outdoor versions and
can support cdmaOne(TM), CDMA2000 1X voice and data and CDMA2000 1xEV-DO in
1900 and 850 MHz spectrum.  International indoor and outdoor versions for 850
MHz also are available.  With minimal modifications, it also can be built to
support other radio frequencies at a customer's request.
    The product can be deployed alongside existing AUTOPLEX(R) and Modular
Cell 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 base station platforms, protecting previous investments
while increasing cell site capacity and providing support for future
technologies.  Existing Modular Cell 3.0 base station platforms also can be
field upgraded to the Modular Cell 4.0.
    Lucent's Mobility Solutions Group is a leading global provider of mobile
networking technologies, having deployed more than 70,000 spread-spectrum base
stations for mobile operators worldwide.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/