Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WCDMA test calls made in the USA

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 03:07:39 -0500

WCDMA test calls made in the USA

 05-Dec-02

Ericsson and AT&T Wireless have completed the first WCDMA/UMTS call in a live network
environment in the USA. With initial packet data speeds up to 384 kbps, the call
demonstrated true 3G capabilities. The joint effort is part of a trial of the first
1900MHz WCDMA system in the Americas, which will have more than 100 cell sites in the
Dallas area by the end of the year. Ericsson is providing the complete WCDMA network --
the core network, the radio access network and mobile terminals. The small-sized Sony
Ericsson test units used are based on technology developed by Ericsson Mobile Platforms.

"We will continue moving forward in our quest to provide customers with the most advanced
wireless services in the world," said Rod Nelson, chief technology officer for AT&T
Wireless. "There is a tremendous level of support by vendors, carriers and developers in
bringing true 3G service to the United States."

"It's really exciting to take what we've learned from our laboratory trials and apply
those lessons to a live network environment," said Angel Ruiz, president and chief
executive officer, Ericsson Inc. "In other parts of the world, we've seen live tests
before in the 2 GHz band. But this is a landmark in the development of UMTS/WCDMA in the
1900 MHz frequencies and its progress in the Americas."

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/