Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AT&T Wireless pulls out of NextWave re-auction

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 03:06:07 -0500

05-Dec-02

AT&T Wireless pulls out of NextWave re-auction

Alaska Wireless has notified the USA's telecoms regulator, the FCC that it will not be
taking part in any re-auction of NextWave's radio spectrum licneses. Alaksa Wireless is a
joint venture that is controlled by three Alaska Native Corporations -- Arctic Slope
Regional Corp., Sealaska Corp. and Doyon, - but is financially backed by AT&T Wireless as
a vehicle for entering the original NextWave auction.

Alaska Wireless had originally won 29 licenses in areas that AT&T Wireless wanted to
expand its spectrum capacity.

"This consortium represents over 40,000 Alaska Native shareholders, and our participation
in the FCC auction and acquisition of several licenses has served us well as an
introduction to this new business area," said Jacob Adams, President and Chief Executive
Officer of Arctic Slope Regional Corporation.

Chris McNeil, President and Chief Executive Officer of Sealaska Corporation, noted: "We
are extremely pleased with the assistance provided by Alaska's Senator Ted Stevens in
developing these programs." Orie Williams, President and Chief Executive Officer of Doyon,
Limited, said, "Alaska Natives have been consistently recognized by Congress as a uniquely
disadvantaged group, and the chance to work with a quality industry partner like AT&T
Wireless, and to develop a presence in this industry, is very important for our
shareholders."

The announcement comes one month after the FCC announced that, due to lengthy delays and
changes of market conditions, it would allow winning auction bidders to withdraw their
applications for licenses affected by the NextWave litigation.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/