Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola and Nextel Celebrate a Decade of Instant Communication for Millions

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:41:00 -0500

Motorola on iDEN = I Do Everything Nextel
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021203/32523_1.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search -

Finance Home -
Yahoo! -
Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.

Motorola and Nextel Celebrate a Decade of Instant Communication for Millions
Tuesday December 3, 2:36 pm ET

Walkie-Talkie Technology Leader Recognizes Anniversary, Future Advancements

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. & RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 3, 2002--It
started as a vision for instant communication among groups of workers
in a few cities and has become "how business gets done" for more than
10 million users in the United States.

ADVERTISEMENT

In 1992, in a lab in Schaumburg, Illinois, Motorola and Nextel
tested Direct Connect, the incredibly powerful long-range
walkie-talkie service, for the first time. Today, the companies are
celebrating 10 years of "innovation to experience" with more than 150
million Direct Connect calls being made daily.

"We are extremely proud to celebrate this anniversary with
Motorola. The Direct Connect service, which started with a single
chirp in 1992, is now the 'sound that's all around' as it meets the
increasing demands of business professionals who are highly mobile and
expected to be in contact with the home office at anytime, from
anywhere," said Barry West, chief technology officer of Nextel. "Our
original vision of combining a cellular phone with a walkie-talkie has
grown to be the only 4-in-1 digital cellular device on the market
today."

"We will continue to work tirelessly to maintain our leadership in
the walkie-talkie, or push-to-talk, space, as we explore ways to
expand our solutions offerings to customers who want and need to be in
contact at the push of a button," said West.

"Together, Motorola and Nextel have expanded the experience and
dramatically improved the potential of the wireless phone," said Peter
Aloumanis, vice president and general manager of US markets division
iDEN® Subscriber Group. "The partnership between Motorola and Nextel
to drive leading edge wireless solutions has enabled customers to
connect with home and office through multiple communication
capabilities with great success."

"Our successful partnership will lead the way to even greater
benefits for customers in the future as we continue to rapidly unveil
leading edge handsets and breakthrough technologies to accelerate
consumer adoption of next-generation mobile communication products,"
says Aloumanis.

A proprietary feature of Nextel's iDEN network, Direct Connect
allows Nextel customers to connect instantly with one another within a
local calling area - oftentimes spanning hundreds of miles. In 2003,
Nextel plans to launch Nationwide Direct Connect, allowing customers
to instantly communicate across the country with the same quality of
service they have already come to expect from Direct Connect.

The yearlong rollout of Nationwide Direct Connect service will
commence in the fourth quarter of 2002, with phase one service offered
in Nextel's New York and Boston markets. Complete implementation of
coast-to-coast Nationwide Direct Connect is expected to be available
to Nextel customers mid-year 2003.

"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation
Reform Act of 1995. A number of the matters and subject areas
discussed in this press release that are not historical or current
facts deal with potential future circumstances and developments. The
discussion of such matters and subject areas is qualified by the
inherent risks and uncertainties surrounding future expectations
generally, and also may materially differ from Nextel's actual future
experience involving any one or more of such matters and subject
areas. Nextel has attempted to identify, in context, certain of the
factors that they currently believe may cause actual future experience
and results to differ from Nextel current expectations regarding the
relevant matter or subject area. Such risks and uncertainties include
the successful performance of these new technologies, timely
development and delivery of these new technologies, economic
conditions in currently existing and targeted markets, competitive
conditions, market acceptance of these services, access to sufficient
capital to meet operating and financing needs and those that are
described from time to time in reports filed with the SEC by Nextel
and Motorola, including each of their annual reports on Form 10-K and
subsequent quarterly filings on Form 10-Q. This press release speaks
only as of its date, and Nextel, and Motorola each expressly disclaim
any duty to update the information herein.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications (NASDAQ:NXTL - News), a Fortune 300 company based
in Reston, Va., is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless
communications services and has built the largest guaranteed
all-digital wireless network in the country covering thousands of
communities across the United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners,
Inc., currently serve 197 of the top 200 U.S. markets.

Through recent market launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service
is available today in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240
million people live or work.

About Motorola and iDEN

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT - News) is a global leader in providing
integrated communications and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in
2001 were $30 billion.

iDEN handsets combine the capabilities of a digital wireless phone
with "always on" Internet access, text pager, and two-way radio to
enable users to instantly communicate with one or hundreds of
individuals at the push of a button. For further information on iDEN
handsets, visit www.motorola.com/iden.

Contact:

Nextel Communications, Inc., Reston
Margaret Brown, 703/433-4904
[email-masked]
or
Motorola, Inc.
Maria Gomez, 954/723-6333
[email-masked]

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Credit Card offers @ eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

Interest rates won't stay this low forever. Yahoo! Mortgage Center

·

Got insurance? Free quotes on auto, home, life & health

·

Find Old Friends at Classmates.com

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

·

Low Cost $39.99/Mo. Unlimited Nationwide Calling. www.vonage.com

·

Web hosting. Best quality, 24/7 toll free support. Lowest prices.

·

Planning to Sell Your Home? Compare REALTORS® and View Homes!

·

Join Gevalia Kaffe today & Get a Great Gift!

·

$8.95 Domain Name Registrations & $7.75 Transfers at GoDaddy.com

Related
Quotes

MOT
NXTL

10.69
13.17

-1.01
-0.32

News
News

View Detailed Quotes
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Nokia Backs Cautious Outlook, Shares Fall - Reuters (1:43 pm)

·

High Hopes for Micro Fuel Cells - RealCommentary from TheStreet.com (10:58 am)

·

Motorola PCS President Tom Lynch's Presentation to Financial Analysts to Be Webcast - PR Newswire (10:03 am)

·

Motorola to Provide Maine State Police with Integrated Public Safety System - PR Newswire (10:00 am)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computers, Internet, Networking, Publishing, Semiconductors, Telecom

Top Stories

·

AOL Forecast Pulls Down Stocks - Reuters (2:06 pm)

·

America Online Sees Ad Sales Diving - Reuters (2:03 pm)

·

Merck Confirms Outlook, Stems Stock Slide - Reuters (1:38 pm)

·

Retail Sales Up but Holidays Looking Soft - Reuters (11:04 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright ©
2002 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy
-
Terms of Service
Copyright
©
2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.