Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Adelstein Officially Sworn In At FCC

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 21:14:34 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=12/03/02

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search Wireless Week

Entire Site
Articles
Web-Exclusive
Archives
Companies
Products
Directories
Events

Archive Map

Tips

|  Archives  |  Events  |  Directories  |  Discussions  |  news@2direct®  |  Subscribe  |

You Are Here > Home > News@2 Direct

Issues

Newsletter

news@2direct® Archive

Topics

Applications
Business and Finance
Global Regions
Industry Trends
Regulatory
Technology
Wireless Internet

Tools / Services

Archives

Capitol Hill Contacts

Directories

Events

Glossary

Industry Research

Industry Stocks

In-Stat Store

International Data

Product/Web Showcase

Show Dailies

Webcasts

Wireless 101

Web Directories

Associations
Carriers
Education
Government
Publishing
Research/Consultants
Vendors

Inside Wireless

Advertise - Web

Editorial Calendar

Print Subscription

Reprint Requests

Privacy Policy

Direct Marketing Lists

Adelstein Officially Sworn In At FCC

By Wireless Week Staff
December 3, 2002

Print

E-mail

Subscribe

Single-page Format

WASHINGTON--Long-time FCC commissioner candidate
Jonathan Adelstein was finally sworn in today at the commission. Adelstein,
former telecommunications aide to Sen. Tom Daschle, D.-S.D., took his oath of
office at 11:30 a.m. Eastern time, according to an FCC official. The ceremony
was performed by FCC Chairman Michael Powell, out of the public eye in a
conference room at the FCC's 12th Street office.

Adelstein's approved nomination was signed on Monday by President Bush.
Adelstein assumes the Democratic seat on the commission vacated by Gloria
Tristani. He is said to be very interested in universal service issues, as he is
from a rural state where many depend on the telecom subsidy. The issue of
universal service contributions by wireline and wireless carriers has been teed
up as a primary issue for the FCC in the coming months.

<< Previous News@2 Article

More News@2 >>

News Briefs:

Alaska Communications Systems Group has selected
infrastructure provider Airvana to provide high-speed
wireless and broadband gear for its CDMA2000 1xEV-DO trial network in Alaska.
Alaska Communications plans to launch a limited trial in 2003. Cellular
operator PT Wireless Indonesia also selected Airvana for its
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO network in Indonesia.

IBM announced it has new software products and tools to
make it easier for developers to build and manage voice portals-as well as
extend enterprise applications, such as mobile databases, to new devices. IBM
unveiled the WebSphere Voice Application Access product-middleware that
simplifies building and managing voice portals and more easily extends
Web-based portals to voice.

Ericsson Technology Licensing has signed a licensing
agreement to provide its latest Bluetooth radio core, the K-D1, to
National Semiconductor. National plans to introduce products
incorporating Ericsson's radio next year.

Nokia and Racal Instruments announced
that the two companies are working together to deliver test equipment for 3G
CDMA2000 1xEV-DV networks. The test equipment, which uses Nokia's CDMA
Integration Test Platform and test script library and Racal Instruments'
physical layer hardware, is expected to be available for industry trials by
the second half of 2003.

Metretek says its new line of wireless, Internet-enabled,
remote data-collection and reporting products is now available. The company
says the free-standing devices can be used in conjunction with carriers that
use GSM and GPRS technology.

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=12%2F03%2F02;desc=Tuesday;sz=468x60;ord=37593283166272000?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=12%2F03%2F02;desc=Tuesday;sz=468x60;ord=37593283166272000?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=12%2F03%2F02;desc=Tuesday;sz=468x60;ord=37593283166272000?" border=0 width="468" height="60"></A></noscript>

Wireless Home

About Us

Advertise

FAQs

Contact Us

Register/Log In

© 2002 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this Web site is subject to its Terms and Conditions of Use
Privacy Policy