Subject: [mobile-ip] Issue 155 proposed resolution

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:55:47 -0800

Hello Thomas,

Thomas Narten writes:

Also, does MIP work properly of if a MN uses DHCP (as opposed to
stateless addrconf?).

----------------------

Minutes: Charlie Perkins: Does it work - if CoA, not problem. If home
address obtained from dhcp, then how does security work?  Thomas: Is
there anything in the spec that prevents people from using dhcp? We
need to think a little bit.

----------------------

        I've tried several times to think of what might go wrong here,
        but as far as I can see there isn't anything which prevents a
        mobile node from using DHCPv6 for a care-of address.

        For the home address, if a mobile node uses DCHPv6 on
        its home link, then it needs some way to develop a
        security association with the home agent.  Presumably,
        the HA-MN IPsec draft handles this case, but
        that needs to be checked.  The IP address of a home
        agent on the home link is available from its router
        advertisements.

        My detailed understanding of the DHCPv6 spec does not
        extend to parts that were created during the last year.
        I don't see why any of the new features would make a
        conflict, but your recent review of DHCPv6 might be
        more helpful in this regard.  If there is some new requirement
        placed on nodes, then that is more likely to be considered a
        DHCP requirement than a Mobile IPv6 specification issue.

Proposed Resolution: no new text required.
----------------------