Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: FCC Rule Violation? AlertCast system for Police,Fire, EMS overide...

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:48:16 -0500

------- Original Message --------
   From: Jim <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  FCC Rule Violation? AlertCast system for Police,Fire, EMS overide...

Dave,
I think that you have some very valid thoughts.  To my memory, this was
tried back in the mid-70's and it , can you guess?  Yeah, it didn't work
then...

To me, this sounds like an "M" type of marketing item, something that you
can't disprove....  until much later after enormous $ expenditures...

Besides the large number of IF freqs used (10.7, 21.6, 21.1, 32.9, 16.1,
and good ole 455 KHz, to the best of my memory) it was found that most
drivers simply turned the radio off, thinking that it had failed. Their
music, talk radio show, news station, or religious programming had been
interrupted, their retuning did no good, so they took it to the OFF
mode.  Its in an EE graduation thesis, the name escapes me now, but it was
severely disappointing.  Additionally, today we have more 'self-contained"
entertainment devices: ear-splitting CD driven mobile PA systems, personal
CD & headphones, CD in the car, still a few cassette tape decks, but I do
think all of the  8 tracks are gone by now.

My bet is with the forthcoming Intelligent Transportation Systems,
(Intelligent Highway Systems), etc.) where a single device is mandated to
be installed in each vehicle, to display road conditions, traffic
advisories, etc, to the driver of each vehicle.  Just seems much more
logical to me.   But then again, I'm seem to be un-money motivated.....

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/