Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Dec. 16, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 02:57:48 -0500

More bad budget news: The Mansfield (Ohio) police department is losing 5 officers and 2
civilians due to budget cuts, which includes a supervisor in the police comm center. The
department already is already 11 officers below authorized strength, and those positions
won't be filled either. Five firefighters will be cut, and they're already 4 firefighters
short. The police cuts will total over $1.2 million.

--------------------------
The Etowah (Tenn.) board of directors continues to wobble on whether to move dispatching
operations to Athens County's comm center--and now the E911 District board of directors
has given the town until Dec. 20 to make a decision. The county wants a decision so it can
make its own choices on building a new comm center building and upgrade its 11 year-old
911 gear. 

--------------------------
Anchorage (Alask.) mayor George Wuerch announced a 911 task force to work on improvements
to the police department's comm center in the aftermatch of a response delay to a shooting
murder. Among his appointments: former Anchorage dispatch supervisor Michelle Heun, and
Gerad Godfrey, son of the man who was murdered--his mother was seriously wounded in the
same incident. Other members include a former Anchorage mayor and state lieutenant
governor, the president of Alaska Telecom Inc. and Anchorage's city manager.

--------------------------
Those with slim pocketbooks--take note! APCO is promoting an "early bird" special for its
August 2003 annual conference. Register before March 1, 2003 and get $81 off the regular
$380 member price. Check their Web site home page for the details.

--------------------------
Mark your notebooks: The Flathead County (Mont.) sheriff now handles all E911 calls in the
county, and will dispatch units to incidents. The sheriff hired three additional
dispatchers to handle the increased workload. The county includes the cities of Kalispell,
Columbia Falls and Whitefish. Previously, the county had Basic 911, and calls were routed
to local agencies. 

--------------------------
The mapping consultanting company Contact One introduced its C1Streets software, designed
to edit street centerline, addressed points, master street address guide (MSAG) and other
address-related 911 databases. The software is built on the ArcView 8.2 mapping platform.
The company also released ContactCELL, a cellular tower and sector maintenance package
that cell tower and sector data that integrates with PSAP ALI software. Surf:

http://www.contact-one.com

--------------------------
A couple of more FCC Phase II actions: they dismissed as "moot" a Cingular Request for
Reconsideration of a previous Phase II waiver request involving the carrier's GSM system
and E-OTD. You'll recall that Cingular has decided to drop E-OTD technology. Second, the
FCC granted T-Mobile's request for a "limited" modification of its Phase II deployment
plan. We've added both links to our Phase II E911 page.

--------------------------
Dataradio Corp. will install a 3-site, 800 MHz mobile data system for Scott County (Minn.)
using their GeminiPD+ mobile radio modems that operate at 32 Kbps. The system will include
68 vehicles equipped with GPS gear to provide location information, and the ability to
transmit information using IP protocols.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/