Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Additional Detail in Support of 800 MHz Consensus Plan

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:47:12 -0500

http://ccbn.tenkwizard.com/filing.php?repo=tenk&ipage=1955600&doc=1&total=&attach=ON&TK=NXTL&CK=824169&FG=0&FC=000000&BK=FFFFFF&SC=ON&TC=FFFFFF&TC1=FFFFFF&TC2=FFFFFF&LK=000099&AL=FF0000&VL=990099

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

NEXTEL COMMUNICATIONS INC filed this 8-K on 12/24/2002.

Outline

Printer Friendly

Next Page »

SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION

Washington, D.C. 20549

FORM 8-K

Current Report

Pursuant to Section 13 or 15(d) of the

Securities Exchange Act of 1934

Date of Report (Date of Earliest Event Reported): December 24, 2002 (December 24, 2002)

NEXTEL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.

(Exact Name of Registrant as Specified in Its Charter)

Delaware

0-19656

36-3939651

(State or Other Jurisdiction of Incorporation)

(Commission File Numbers)

(I.R.S. Employer Identification Nos.)

2001 Edmund Halley Drive, Reston, Virginia

20191

(Address of Principal Executive Offices)

(Zip Code)

Registrants’ Telephone Number, Including Area
Code:            (703) 433
- 4000

————————————————————————————————————

(Former Name or Former Address, if Changed Since Last Report)

Item 5.

Other Events and Regulation FD Information.

On December 24, 2002, Nextel issued a press release announcing
a filing with the Federal Communications Commission regarding its
proposed public safety spectrum plan. A copy of the press release is
being filed as Exhibit 99.1 hereto and is incorporated herein by
reference.

Item 7.

Financial Statements and Exhibits.

(a)

Financial Statements of Business Acquired.

Not applicable.

(b)

Pro Forma Financial Information.

Not applicable.

(c)

Exhibits.

The following exhibits are filed with this report:

Exhibit No.

Exhibit Description

99.1

Press Release

SIGNATURES

Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the
registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the
undersigned thereunto duly authorized.

NEXTEL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.

/s/ Leonard J. Kennedy

By:          Leonard J. Kennedy

Senior Vice President and General Counsel

Date: December 24, 2002

EXHIBIT INDEX

Exhibit No.

Exhibit Description

99.1

Press Release

News Release

Nextel Communications, Inc.

2001 Edmund Halley Drive

Reston, VA 20191

For Immediate Release

Contacts:

Media – Leigh Horner (919) 465-3712

Christopher Doherty (703) 928-3279

Investors – Paul Blalock (703) 433-
4300

Nextel, along with Consensus Parties, Provide

Additional Detail in Support of 800 MHz Consensus Plan

Revised FCC Filing Addresses Retuning Costs and Timeline

RESTON, Va., December 24, 2002 – Nextel Communications Inc., (NASDAQ:NXTL),
announced today, in conjunction with its consensus parties from the public
safety community and private wireless industry, a detailed filing with the
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that provides additional information in
support of the consensus plan for improving public safety communications in the
800 MHz band.

The supplemental filing details the timeline and mechanics of the proposed
realignment process, specifically addressing the relocation and retuning of
incumbent licensees at 800 MHz, and the rights and obligations of licensees
during and after the realignment. The consensus parties have addressed
additional interference protections for licensees after the realignment process
and how the plan would be implemented in the border areas adjacent to Canada
and Mexico.

In addition, Nextel has raised its commitment to assist in the realignment.
Nextel has committed up to $850 million to facilitate the retuning and
relocation for incumbent public safety and private wireless licensees. The
retuning would be completed over a 42-month period commencing with the
Commission’s approval of the consensus plan. The first nine months of the
plan will be dedicated to frequency planning and data collection. The
movement of the largest public safety systems that require a substantial
portion of funding will occur in the final stages of the plan. Nextel’s
funding commitment remains contingent upon the FCC licensing to Nextel a 10MHz
block of contiguous spectrum at 1.9 GHz.

The consensus plan garners support of organizations representing more than 90
percent of the 800 MHz licensees affected by CMRS-public safety interference.
Supporters include the International Association of Chiefs of Police, the
International Association of Fire Chiefs, the National Sheriff’s Association,
the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials, the International
Municipal Signal Association, the Major Cities Chiefs Association, the Major
County Sheriffs’ Association, Aeronautical Radio, Inc., the American Mobile
Telecommunications Association, the American Petroleum Institute, the Forest
Industries Telecommunications, the Industrial Telecommunications Association,
Inc., the National Stone, Sand and Gravel Association, the Personal
Communications Industry Association and the Taxicab, Limousine and Paratransit
Association. This is the only plan that meets all of the objectives as set
forth by the FCC — mitigating interference to public safety communication
systems, minimizing disruption to existing licensees, and ensuring public
safety has the spectrum needed to perform its critical function.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va., is a leading
provider of fully integrated wireless communications services and has built the
largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the country covering
thousands of communities across the United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners,
Inc., currently serve 197 of the top 200 U.S. markets. Through recent market
launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the
U.S. where approximately 240 million people live or work.

“Safe Harbor” Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of
1995. A number of the matters and subject areas discussed in this press
release that are not historical or current facts deal with potential future
circumstances and developments. The discussion of such matters and subject
areas is qualified by the inherent risks and uncertainties surrounding future
expectations generally, and also may materially differ from Nextel’s actual
future experience involving any one or more of such matters and subject areas.
Nextel has attempted to identify, in context, certain of the factors that they
currently believe may cause actual future experience and results to differ from
Nextel current expectations regarding the relevant matter or subject area.
Such risks and uncertainties include the economic conditions in our targeted
markets, performance of our technologies, timely development and delivery of
new technologies, competitive conditions, market acceptance of our services,
access to sufficient capital to meet operating and financing needs and those
that are described from time to time in Nextel reports filed with the SEC,
including Nextel’s annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31,
2001 and in its subsequent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q. This press release
speaks only as of its date, and Nextel disclaims any duty to update the
information herein.

###

ÿØÿà

Powered by: