Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: moving from 3600 to true APCO-25 9600

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:02:23 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: RE:moving from 3600 to true APCO-25 9600

Jeff/Pat,

One important difference to note.  Both Thales and Kenwood are committed to
9600 baud Control channel P25 trunking only.  This is because it is the true
open standard and not based on proprietary technology.

Steve Nichols
Manager, Project 25 Marketing
Thales Communications Inc.
(formerly Racal Communications Inc.)
Voice (240) 864 7619
Fax (240) 864 7620
22605 Gateway Center Drive
Clarksburg MD 20871
[email-masked]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Rent DVDs Online-No late fees! Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XfSp7B/XlOFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:56:58 -0500

Sorry Steve, didn't mean to exclude Thales from the equation ( although if you guys and
Kenwood were cross licensing SmartZone.OmniLink (3600CC it would be to everyone's
advantage)

As Jeff seems to be saying there is a lot of logistical and financial issues why you
wouldn't upgrade to 9600 unless you had to. From a functionality perspective it doesn't
deliver too much over SmartZone /OmniZone. There may be some advantages it CC congestion
handling but in a reality sense unless you had 50,000 users on a single network these
arguments end up in theoritical domain in any case.

Personally I think if there was a way to open up the 3600 protocol so that everyone could
play, then the users would be much better off than trying to step again to a full digital
world. There is lots of leverage to get off a "mixed mode" system. In a practical sense
far more than a move to 9600.

Ofcourse you've got to be able to control MOT and get them to play ball but I would think
with all the pressure for them to perform, cut costs and make a profit that the timing
gets better each day. they could suspend 1000's of man years of engineering development
and the industry( i.e users maybe not suppliers) would get what they want a a backwood
compatiable -open market with multiple vendors and all that that entails. I hear they just
shafted Barnett, their current GM  for some new Software rookie so their CGISS divsion may
be looking for a new way forward??? Project 25 steering comittee take note!!

Unless something like this occurs, the way it is going,  open Digital networks will still
be a pipe dream 10 years from now.

By the way Jeff, I wasn't saying there is anything specifically wrong with MOT's 9600
system release just that history tells us they will still be working all sorts of bugs
years from now.

regards

Pat