Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Capitol Hill, Commerce Committee & ITA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 03:09:43 -0500

IV. IMPROVING PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNICATIONS – No Legislation

ITA has been attending numerous meetings with the House and Senate’s, majority and
minority
staffs to keep them educated and informed on the Commission’s 800 MHz interference
proceeding.

Originally, we were reacting and responding to the White Paper that Nextel had released
November 21,
2001. Then we focused attention on the proposal submitted in the initial comment rounds by
the Private
Wireless Coalition. As such, ITA represented the PWC at an informal hearing among Commerce

Committee staffers on December 12, 2002.

In support of the delays of Auction 33 and 41, ITA also made contact with congressional
staff
members explaining the importance of the Auction Reform Act of 2002. The delay of FCC
Auction 31
was needed because the 700 MHz spectrum was a potential solution to the interference
experienced by
public safety at 800 MHz. ITA also noted the inclusion of similar auction delays in
President Bush’s
budget.

As time has progressed during the year, our stance has changed to a more collective
response
with the support of public safety and Nextel through the Consensus Plan. ITA has attended
numerous
informative meetings on Capitol Hill to explain the benefits of the Consensus Plan and how
it fulfills the
Commission’s goals. ITA continues to make sure the Commerce Committee members and staffers
are
updated on the 800 MHz proceeding and the progression of the Consensus Plan.

Status. We expect no legislation from either the House or the Senate at this time.

http://www.ita-relay.com/News/legregrep.pdf

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/