Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Afghanistan's mobile phone coverage improves

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 03:04:41 -0500

They may not have essential services but they have GSM Coverage........
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05-Dec-02

Afghanistan's mobile phone coverage improves-

Afghan Wireless has launched its GSM voice service in Afghanistan's second largest city,
Kandahar. This is Afghan Wireless' fourth key city launch in Afghanistan, another
milestone of achievement in Afghan Wireless' plan to be the first to provide nationwide
telecommunications services for the Afghan people in a country left decimated by war.

Afghan Wireless initially launched GSM mobile service in Kabul in April of 2002. Since
then Afghan Wireless has continued to invest in its GSM network, deploying service in
Kabul, Herat, Mazar-i-Sherif and now Kandahar. Jalabad will be the next key city in which
Afghan Wireless GSM mobile service will be activated.

The launch ceremony, held in the Kandahar Municipal Co-operation Hall in the center of the
city, featured the Deputy Governor of Kandahar, the Managing Director of Afghan Wireless,
representatives of Telephone Systems International (TSl), and the Ministry of
Communications of Afghanistan. The inaugural Kandahar mobile call was successfully
initiated in Kabul by Marshal Fahim, Vice President and Minister of Defense, and received
by Deputy Governor Mohammad Shuaib Wafa in Kandahar.

Ehsan Bayat, Chairman for Afghan Wireless, sent a message of good will to those attending
the launch ceremony and stated: "The mission of Afghan Wireless is to connect Afghanistan
with the outside world as well as to provide a window for the outside world into
Afghanistan. Today's launch of service in Kandahar is another step in our commitment to
providing world-class telecommunications service for the Afghan people."
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/