Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AT&T Wireless, Ericsson Test High-Speed Network in Dallas Area

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 16:13:40 -0500

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=34933766&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

News

IndustryWatch

Aerospace/Defense

Auto

Aviation

Banking

Business and Finance

Chemicals

Computers

Economy/Markets

Energy

Entertainment

Environment

Food

Government

Healthcare

Insurance

Internet

Metals & Minerals

Real Estate

Retail

Small Business

Telecommunications

- Equipment

- Fiber Optics

- Local Providers

- Long Distance

- Wireless

- Regulations

- Satellite

Transportation

Travel

Utilities

searchIndustryWatch

Markets &
Stocks

Commentary

Technology

Personal Finance

Retirement

Mutual Funds

Money 101

Money's Best

Track your
stocks

Calculators

CNNfn
on TV

Services

CNN.com

CNNSI.com

MONEY
Magazine
Customer
Service

E-MAIL
NEWSLETTERS
sign
up!

MOBILE NEWS
•AvantGo

sign
up!

AT&T Wireless, Ericsson Test High-Speed Network in Dallas Area

Source: The Dallas Morning News

Publication date: 2002-12-05

Dec. 5--PLANO, Texas–AT&T Wireless Services Inc. and Ericsson Inc. have
started installing a test wireless network in the Dallas area that transmits
data at high speeds and increases the capacity for cellular-phone calls, the
companies said Wednesday.

Ericsson is supplying the equipment for the 100-tower network that AT&T
Wireless will use to analyze a vaunted, but increasingly delayed, technology
known as wideband code division multiple access, or WCDMA. The companies have
installed radios on 68 towers and will complete the rest by Christmas.

AT&T Wireless said it hasn't determined when it will launch commercial
service using the network, which can send hundreds of kilobits of data per
second to each user. Commercial network launches in Europe and Japan will help
work out kinks and get the technology closer to fruition, said Rod Nelson,
AT&T Wireless' chief technology officer. "Everything they do benefits us."

On Wednesday, AT&T Wireless showed off the capabilities of the new system
to reporters at Ericsson's U.S. headquarters in Plano by downloading large
files and playing streaming video via the new network.

AT&T Wireless is in the midst of a multibillion-dollar upgrade of its
network to technology used by most wireless companies around the world. The
company's chief network suppliers include several companies with a big
Dallas-area presence – Ericsson, Nokia Oyj and Nortel Networks Corp.

By the middle of next year, AT&T Wireless said its network will be able
to handle data at 110 to 130 kilobits per second.

But it's unclear when consumers will be able to start buying phones and
laptop cards for the higher speeds.

Much of that depends on when investors start putting money into the
beleaguered telecommunications industry, said Angel Ruiz, chief executive of
Ericsson's U.S. business. "Somehow we've got to get the confidence of the
capital markets back."

-----

To see more of The Dallas Morning News, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go
to http://www.dallasnews.com.

(c) 2002, The Dallas Morning News. Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune
Business News.

T, ERICY, NOK.A, NT,

Publication date: 2002-12-05

© 2002, YellowBrix, Inc.

CNNmoney

contact us | magazine
customer service |
site
map | CNN/Money
glossary

OTHER NEWS: CNN | CNNSI | Fortune | Business 2.0 | Time | ON
Copyright © 2002 CNN America, Inc. An AOL Time
Warner Company ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you. privacy policy