Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wis. Man Charged With High-Tech Stalking

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:39:42 -0500

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=519&u=/ap/20021231/ap_on_re_us/brf_stalking_charges_1&printer=1

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

News Home - Yahoo! - Help

Holiday Gifts! Deals at uBid! | Get Free DVD Rentals | Clearance Sale | Free Cell Phone

Welcome, marcel_rf1

Personalize News Home Page

-

Sign Out

Yahoo! News
Mon, Dec 30, 2002

Search

News StoriesNews PhotosAudio/VideoFull CoverageThe New York TimesAll of Yahoo!

for

Advanced

Wis. Man Charged With High-Tech Stalking

1 hour, 56 minutes ago

Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

KENOSHA, Wis. -

A man was charged Monday with stalking his former live-in girlfriend with help from a high-tech homing device placed under the hood of her car.

Paul Seidler, 42, was arrested during the weekend. On Monday, he was charged with stalking, burglary, second-degree reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct, and ordered held on $50,000 bail.

According to a criminal complaint, Connie Adams asked Seidler to move out of her apartment Oct. 25 after a three-year relationship. Prosecutors say he immediately began following her, including when she ran errands and went to work.

Investigators checked under the hood of Adams' vehicle and found a Global Positioning System (news - web sites) that uses satellite and digital cellular technology to pinpoint a target's location.

Seidler's attorney did not return a telephone call Monday seeking comment.

A preliminary hearing was set Jan. 8.

Email Story

Post/Read Msgs

Formatted Story

Ratings:

Would you recommend this story?

Not at all

1
- 2
- 3
- 4
- 5

Highly

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"
src="http://personal.news.yahoo.com/us/news/ratings/getavgrate.html?locale=us&prop=news&rateid=ap/20021231/brf_stalking_charges&type=T&js=1">
</script>

Next Story:

68-Year-Old Fla. Man Faces Manslaughter
(AP)

More Top Stories Stories

·

US Condemns Killings of Missionaries in Yemen
(Reuters)

·

Freshman Senator Sees the Presidency as His Next Office
(The New York Times)

·

Group's claim of cloned human unleashes 'ground zero' debate
(USA TODAY)

·

My way–or the highway?
(U.S. News & World Report)

·

Yemen Arrests Man in Slaying of Americans

(AP)

Copyright © 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2002 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service

---

From: "Bulldog <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:27:43 -0000

Way cool application.  Reminds me of that cab company owner who used 
a nextel to eavesdrop on his cabbies.  He turned the ringer off and 
set auto-answer to listen in on the conversations in the taxi.  Not 
so easy to skim off the top with that application.

If you could pick up a handful of receivers for say $20 a piece and 
monitor all of them for $20 a month I think they'd really take off.

At that price, I'd buy one for my kid, my dog, the cars, etc.  Lots 
of fun when prices dip as volume increases.

--- In [email-masked], Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:
> 
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story2&cid=519&u=/ap/20021231/ap_on_re_us/brf_stalking_charges_1&
printer=1

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:12:26 -0500

Well, a sad but true story from a few years ago.  I was heavily involved in
APRS (ham location and messaging system), and had a couple of expensive
cars.  I had heard a story about a guy who had his van stolen but was able
to track it on APRS and called the cops to pick the guy up who stole it.  So
I put a second station in my ex's car with her call on it.  She kept turning
it off and I couldn't figure out why until she finally took off with her
boyfriend.  So, this story isn't a new one...spousal tracking has been
around for a while.

By the way, because of verifiable facts including the turning off of the
tracking unit, I wound up with damn near everything.  That's the way the
cookie crumbles...

The problem with OnStar is that it works similarly although you as the owner
don't have access to the information being transmitted from the car.  That
information is only transmitted occasionally on demand anyways.  I have been
preaching telematics for a long time that there is a market out there for
trackers that report into an application like findu.com for moms and dads to
check on Missy and Junior's driving.

Try this:  http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KA2ENE

This is a cool web-based system showing position.  There used to be CGI
commands to issue speed, direction in degrees, etc.  However, this
particular map shows an old friend of mine in Rochester...after the APRS
station on the International Space Station (ISS) picked him up.  ISS relayed
the info back down to Earth and onto the Internet.  That's a two-way
space-based terrestrial tracking system!  And what is so funny is that most
OnStar customers think that's what THEY have...heheheheh!

Todd Ellis
"Can you see me now?  Good."
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Bulldog <[email-masked]> [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 10:28 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Wis. Man Charged With High-Tech Stalking

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              ADVERTISEMENT

  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.