Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CDMA calls in excess of 130-180 km from the base station.

From: "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 18:34:15 -0000

1) goto www.google.com
2) search for "nortel, cdma, telstra, boomer"

This stuff is older than I'd recall, the original tests were done 
way back in the salad days of 1999. They actually did rural and 
marine tests.

Keep in mind this was originally 2G cdmaOne (IS-95A) equipment.
China Unicom bought the cdma 1x Rural basestations (aka BOOMER) with 
a claimed radius of 180km.

Summary:
----------------------------
"CDMA is achieving coverage performance at distances that are just 
not available from other land based digital technologies," he said. 

"Field testing of the Extended Coverage enhancement took place 
recently in two locations in New South Wales, one in a remote rural 
location and the second in a marine environment. 

"The results have been outstanding and we are confident that our 
customers will welcome the coverage and high voice quality CDMA will 
provide," Mr Marchbank said. 

The first test was conducted from a CDMA base station situated on Mt 
Dowe, a mountain top located 1500 metres above sea level in the 
Kaputar National Park, Northern New South Wales. 

Testing in this rural environment was conducted using vehicles 
equipped with both analogue and CDMA handsets. This was to compare 
the network coverage and voice quality of both networks over very 
long distances from Mt Dowe. 

The tests conducted from Mt Dowe achieved coverage at distances up 
to 120 km from the base station. The test demonstrated that coverage 
and voice quality of CDMA compared favourably with that of analogue 
in this area. 

Testing was also conducted in a marine environment in Southern New 
South Wales, from a base station located on Peak Alone, another 
mountain top site 1000 metres above sea level, around 25 km inland 
from Narooma on the NSW coast. 

Testing took place on a boat off the coast of Ulladulla, over a 
range of distances using a standard car kit, without any booster. 

CDMA calls were achieved at distances in excess of 130 km from the 
base station. 

In a graphic demonstration of the performance of CDMA, handheld 
calls were made in both the rural and marine test on a CDMA handheld 
at distances in excess of 100 km from the base station. 

"Telstra is obviously delighted with the results as we believe our 
customers will be," Mr Marchbank said. 

"During the testing CDMA maintained excellent voice quality, and 
with its background noise suppression, CDMA will be particularly 
useful in a marine environment to help suppress the noise from 
engines, wind and waves at sea" Mr Marchbank said.
----------------------------

I word to the google'ly challenged, with documents this old its best 
to view the cached copy of the pages that google retrieves.

450mhz cdma could/would perform even better.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/