Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Bill's Comments on Canceling N Service

From: "Grady Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 09:21:20 -0500

I despise Nextel's Service.
Grady Brown
[email-masked]
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Richard E. Willimon 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 1:47 PM
  Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Bill's Comments on Canceling N Service

  What does the contract say....how about scan or copy and post it to the group...

  Thanks, Richard W.
    -----Original Message-----
    From: meijin [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 11:29 PM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Bill's Comments on Canceling N Service

      Actually, unless something has changed in the last couple of months since I was in retention the only way the new 1 year service agreement begins is if they changed their rate plan to a different "family" of rate plans. For instance, if they are on the Free Incoming 200 and want to change to the Free Incoming 500 (or any other free incoming plan), then the service agreement is not extended. If they went from something like a Free Incoming to a National plan, then the service agreement is changed. I was involved in a major discussion on this a few months ago and it went up through several Senior Managers to verify that this was, in fact, the case.

      If folks don't like it, they really ought to read the contract that they signed...and/or the sales person should also tell them about it.

      Mike

      ----- Original Message ----- 
      From: Gerard G. Cook 
      To: [email-masked] 
      Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 11:11 AM
      Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Bill's Comments on Canceling N Service

      Gerry thanks for letting him know of the New one year agreement, customer service normally does not inform customer of this and when they do (if they do, witch I doubt very strongly) they gloss over it very lightly and they will swear up and down they did. By the way I like the state of Mo. challenge to new fees. I inform new customers that any plan will be at least 10-12 dollars higher than advertised due to levis and taxes plus insurance so their are no surprises....
        -----Original Message-----
        From: Gerald Arnone [mailto:[email-masked]]
        Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 6:57 PM
        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Bill's Comments on Cancelling N Service

        He changed the rate plan to $19.99 a month and stuck them in a drawer.  I suppose N didn't offer the information that changing one's rate plan initiates a NEW 12 MONTH CONTRACT from that point forward.

        So instead of paying a $200 de-act fee, you pay $239.88 + tax over the next 12 months.  (Did you really think you could get over on them)

        The reason your bills got so out of hand is because the rate plans become 30-50% each six months.  So if you don't stay on top of new offers you end up getting screwed.  If you do stay on top of it, you must resign for another year.

        From a consumer standpoint it's better to switch carriers and phone #'s every year because of the equipment rebates.  If after a year I want to change my rate plan and upgrade my phone I have to sign for two years, one for the rate change and one for the equipment subsidy.

        The reason N didn't call to apologize and try to salvage the account is because unless you have 50+ units you don't matter.  New business; new business; new business.  That's what it's all about.

        Gerald J. Arnone
        ENYO, Inc.

        voice:   210.490.7790
        fax:      888.257.ENYO
        e-mail:  [email-masked]
        web:     www.enyoworkstation.com

        Bill responds:
        Direct Connect. That which we could buy from an 800 MHz trunking
        supplier
        before the era of Nextel. Works pretty good and if you're not needing
        a
        great coverage area can be a real boon to people who are on the go.
        Add to
        that the advantages of a cell phone which will work in most urban
        areas.

        So, that's why we used it. Note: USED. We've now dropped Nextel and
        gone to
        AT&T... the attraction is the free minutes between group members and
        the 5
        land line numbers, also free, when used by group members.... and not
        to
        mention spouses and girlfriends and boyfriends can get on the group
        plan and
        be billed separately by AT&T. By my calculations we will save about
        $500 a
        month by going to this plan and we will save the pure aggravation of
        dealing
        with Nextel. I'm quite sure AT&T will try our patience.... but at
        least
        we'll be getting screwed by a company with a different flavor.

        More notes on our parting with Nextel:

        Our aggravation reached boiling point when they turned us off two
        months in
        a row over unpaid invoices: Each time, we were current with Nextel.
        It was
        Nextel's error. No apologies were offered by Nextel.

        When we called to cancel our phones we were told we had two phones
        still
        under contract. Later on this changed to four phones under contract.
        When we
        presented evidence to the contrary they hit us with a bunch of
        bull... so we
        ended up agreeing to three phones, still under contract for another 3
        or 4
        months. It appears we can change the monthly service for these
        phones, so we
        changed them to the lowest possible, $19.95 a month, turned them off
        and
        stuck them in a drawer.

        I'll let you know when they screw this up and try and charge us more,
        or
        discover "more phones under contract" or some other outrage. I'm
        betting on
        it, and we are ready for battle.

        We used to pay between $1200 and $1500 a month... sometimes more when
        our
        employees were on the road. To date, nobody has called us to ask why
        we
        quit, to try and repair our irritation, to offer ammends or rebates
        for our
        down time. Nothing. Nada, And may they roast in the 800 MHz hell the
        cellphone market is becoming.

        Bill L.

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. 

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. 

    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. 

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor 
              ADVERTISEMENT

  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: "Bill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:16:40 -0700

Hey,

If you can tolerate another post from me on this, ***Escape from Nexthell***
results to date:

Our purchasing guy got verbal confirmation from "Teresa" that our contracts
have not been extented and that the rates on the remaining Nextell phones
(now sitting in a drawer) are $19.95 for 20 minutes a month. So, maybe we
fall within the "'family' of rate plans" mentioned below. If and when Nextel
decides this isn't the case and tries to squeeze more money out of us, it
will be the word of Joe Wall (surname known), against Teresa (refused to
divulge surname) and a specific confirmation number of the landline
telephone transaction. I'll let y'all know when Nextel accounting and/or
tech support or customer service screws this up. By the way.... during all
of this, Nextel managed to shut off one of our remaining phones.. once
again, their fault... we did not request turn off for this phone (we did
turn off about 9 other phones... HURRAY!!!) and were current in payments.
The (now) famous Joe Wall then spent another quality 45 minutes with them to
find out if, since we are having to pay for it, and since its turned off,
why couldn't they 1) just leave it off and cancel the thing; or 2) why they
couldn't turn it back on so we could put it in the drawer and not use what
we're paying for? Dealing with these twerps becomes an excercise in futility
dang fast, and ya gotta love that.

And speaking of landlines... any of you gurus figure out what "Reverse
Billing" means with respect to Nextel and other phones? As in: Why will
calls from certain prefixes to certain Nextel phones "possibly" result in a
charge to the caller? Why is there no mention of this from other cellphone
type carriers? Why wasn't this the case in the past and what exactly changed
to make it so in the future? And, why did we get a letter dated "October
2002" just a few days before the effective date of the letter in late
November? In case you missed it, quotes from that letter are below. What
interests me about this letter, aside from the fact callers from landlines
might be charged, is what isn't said. Why did landline providers discontinue
"Reverse Billing?" Why, oh why, Nextel... tell me why.

I think the best advice I've heard was this from Gerald J. Arnone: "From a
consumer standpoint it's better to switch carriers and phone #'s every year
because of the equipment rebates. If after a year I want to change my rate
plan and upgrade my phone I have to sign for two years, one for the rate
change and one for the equipment subsidy."  Some industry, eh? Really
working hard on building customer loyalty. Thank you Gerald, sincerely.

Anyway... aside from another possible (probable) time bomb from Nextel on
all of this, its off to another flavor of telecom B.S. from AT&T, for my
company.

Bill Lieske

Dated October 2002... but we got it about the 18th Nov, or so.
***************
Effective November 24, 2002, landline providers in your area are
discontinuing Reverse Billing service. This service allowed Nextel to absorb
toll charges incurred by some of your most frequenct landline callers. The
change applies only to Nextel phone numbers with certain prefixes. For a
list of the affected prefixes in your area, see the box above. Please note:
this change will NOT affect your Nextel woreless service charges in any way.

If the majority of your incoming calls originate from a landline carrier
that no longer provides Reverse Billing, you may want to contact your most
frequent callers about potential toll charges*. If they have specific
questions about toll charges, please advise them to contact their landline
providers directly.
<snip>

* For some Nextel subscribers one solution is to change your Nextel phone
number to match the local calling area of the landline phone number of ypur
most frequent callers.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Richard E. Willimon [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 11:48 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Bill's Comments on Canceling N Service

  What does the contract say....how about scan or copy and post it to the
group...

  Thanks, Richard W.
    -----Original Message-----
    From: meijin [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 11:29 PM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Bill's Comments on Canceling N Service

      Actually, unless something has changed in the last couple of months
since I was in retention the only way the new 1 year service agreement
begins is if they changed their rate plan to a different "family" of rate
plans. For instance, if they are on the Free Incoming 200 and want to change
to the Free Incoming 500 (or any other free incoming plan), then the service
agreement is not extended. If they went from something like a Free Incoming
to a National plan, then the service agreement is changed. I was involved in
a major discussion on this a few months ago and it went up through several
Senior Managers to verify that this was, in fact, the case.

      If folks don't like it, they really ought to read the contract that
they signed...and/or the sales person should also tell them about it.

      Mike

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Gerard G. Cook
      To: [email-masked]
      Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 11:11 AM
      Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Bill's Comments on Canceling N Service

      Gerry thanks for letting him know of the New one year agreement,
customer service normally does not inform customer of this and when they do
(if they do, witch I doubt very strongly) they gloss over it very lightly
and they will swear up and down they did. By the way I like the state of Mo.
challenge to new fees. I inform new customers that any plan will be at least
10-12 dollars higher than advertised due to levis and taxes plus insurance
so their are no surprises....
        -----Original Message-----
        From: Gerald Arnone [mailto:[email-masked]]
        Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 6:57 PM
        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Bill's Comments on Cancelling N Service

        He changed the rate plan to $19.99 a month and stuck them in a
drawer.  I suppose N didn't offer the information that changing one's rate
plan initiates a NEW 12 MONTH CONTRACT from that point forward.

        So instead of paying a $200 de-act fee, you pay $239.88 + tax over
the next 12 months.  (Did you really think you could get over on them)

        The reason your bills got so out of hand is because the rate plans
become 30-50% each six months.  So if you don't stay on top of new offers
you end up getting screwed.  If you do stay on top of it, you must resign
for another year.

        From a consumer standpoint it's better to switch carriers and phone
#'s every year because of the equipment rebates.  If after a year I want to
change my rate plan and upgrade my phone I have to sign for two years, one
for the rate change and one for the equipment subsidy.

        The reason N didn't call to apologize and try to salvage the account
is because unless you have 50+ units you don't matter.  New business; new
business; new business.  That's what it's all about.

        Gerald J. Arnone
        ENYO, Inc.

        voice:   210.490.7790
        fax:      888.257.ENYO
        e-mail:  [email-masked]

        Bill responds:
        Direct Connect. That which we could buy from an 800 MHz trunking
        supplier
        before the era of Nextel. Works pretty good and if you're not
needing
        a
        great coverage area can be a real boon to people who are on the go.
        Add to
        that the advantages of a cell phone which will work in most urban
        areas.

        ended up agreeing to three phones, still under contract for another
3

        I'll let you know when they screw this up and try and charge us
more,
        or
        discover "more phones under contract" or some other outrage. I'm
        betting on
        it, and we are ready for battle.

        We used to pay between $1200 and $1500 a month... sometimes more
when
        our

        Bill L.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              ADVERTISEMENT