Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] Mipv6 issue #163: Run MLD (was: AD review comments)

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:20:53 +0200

Thomas Narten wrote:

> The wording  just needs to make it clear that MNs are expected to run
> MLD, and if there are any particular issues with tunneling MLD
> messages, the details are made clear.
> 
> For example, are there any issue with having the MN source MLD packets
> with a LL address? Does the HA expect the source address of packets
> from the MN to not include LLs? 

It seems that we have additional details to cover. The current text
in 10.4.2 prohibits tunneling of packets destined to the mobile node's
link-local address.

Change

    However, packets addressed to the mobile node's link-local address
    MUST NOT be tunneled to the mobile node.  Instead, such a packet MUST
    ...
    The home agent MUST be capable of receiving
    tunneled multicast group membership control information from the
    mobile node in order to determine which groups the mobile node has
    subscribed to.

to

    However, packets addressed to the mobile node's link-local address
    MUST NOT be tunneled to the mobile node (unless related to controlling
    multicast group membership). Instead, such a packet MUST
    ...
    The home agent MUST be capable of receiving
    tunneled multicast group membership control information from the
    mobile node in order to determine which groups the mobile node has
    subscribed to. This involves running MLD [rfc2710] inside the tunnel
    using link-local addresses.

Jari