Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: Orlando PD Missing Item Notice - $2,000.00 reward

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:16:35 -0500

------ Original Message --------
   From: "Andrew Seybold" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Orlando PD Missing Item Notice - $2,000.00 reward

Probably because they already own too many Rolex watches--I have sent
this notice to the Stealitback.com web site--where they will register it
also--if you don't know about this site it is a company (of which I am
on the board--disclaimer) that has contracts with over 150 police
departments--we sell at auction many of the items the police departments
have confiscated and we have a place on the site to enter in information
of stolen items--if it shows up from any PD we return it to the owner.

By the way, we also end up selling LOTS of discarded police radios so if
you are looking for any for replacement parts etc, you might check this
site--ALL of the radios are purged of their frequency information before
being sold.

Best Regards,
Andy Seybold
Outlook 4Mobility
www.outlook4mobility.com

-----Original Message-----

Orlando Police Department
Media Release

Release Date: Thursday, December 12, 2002
Reference:  $20,000 Missing Cellular Telephone

Details:

On December 8, 2002, victim Jay Christian Rado was visiting a nightclub
in downtown Orlando when he discovered that his cellular telephone was
missing.

The phone is very unique and is valued at $19,450.00.

The manufacturer is Vertu (Beverly Hills, California,  Mr. Glenn Fraser
Ross, 310-858-2764) and is only available in four stores in the world.

The phone contains 150 grams of platinum.  The keypad numbers are rubies
and other jewels.  The faceplate is sapphire crystal. This phone was
built to last a lifetime.

Mr. Rado is race car driver for team  World Racing (NHRA, Modified
Class), Reading PA.  Other owners include Madonna, Gwenyth Paltrow, and
Tom Ford (Gucci).

Once the battery is dead, the person in possession of this phone will be
required to call Vertu to receive a charger.  No other charger works for
this phone.

Mr. Rado will give a $2000 reward, no questions asked for the return of
his phone.

Contact Detective Pursley @ 407-246-2425 for information or to
facilitate the return of the phone.

Sergeant Orlando Rolon
Public Information Office
Orlando Police Department
P.O. Box 913
Orlando, FL 32802-0913
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:20:30 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "Andrew Seybold" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:Orlando PD Missing Item Notice - $2,000.00 reward

Gary--just for your info--I have set up a method where ALL radios are
taken to a radio shop and either the crystals are pulled of the radios
are re-programmed to nothing. I have been working with the folks on this
carefully to prevent exactly what you have described--and the way we do
get a LOT of computer equipment and YES, the hard drive is deep
formatted prior to sale--the PD's have come to rely on us to make sure
that these types of things don't happen.

Best Regards,
Andy Seybold
Outlook 4Mobility
www.outlook4mobility.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Light [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 7:12 PM
Subject: Re:  Orlando PD Missing Item Notice - $2,000.00 reward

Andy,

The last part of your message "ALL of the radios are purged of their
frequency information before
being sold" gave me a good chuckle. Years ago we had a city sell unused
radio equipment at city auction 'cause the bean counters told them that
was
the ONLY way to get rid of it. They were GE PE's that had probably cost
better than $1600.00 new and, in spite of the fact they were no longer
economically feasible to repair or maintain AND they had been used for
the
better part of 15 years, the only way to justify getting rid of them was
at
auction.

Joe Citizen buys them, brings them to us to get batteries, chargers,
etc.
for his business to use and we discover, after trying to talk him out of
spending money (ie, throwing money down a rathole), they still have the
police and fire channel elements installed. Joe wants to use them on the
existing freqs to save the recrystaling fees.   Did I mention he had no
idea
a license was required to operate the units?

I promptly call the PD's watch commander and explain what I've got. He
says
remove the xtals & send the city the bill. Joe Citizen says the radios
are
his, produces the sales receipt, and says leave the xtals because they
are
his only leverage in getting money back from the city.

I guess my thought process here (and haven't we all felt this way) --
this
proves a fine example of what can happen when the bean counters get
involved
in the radio systems.

Makes me leary of when the city might sell old PC's--anyone going to
reformat the hard drive? Or just leave records of court fines, traffic
tickets, water bills, etc for anyone to discover?

Regarding the original lost 20K cellphone issue. That's kind of like
taking
a custom inlaid Citori shotgun pheasant hunting  and complaining when it
got
scratched going through a patch of multiflora rose.

Kill the ESN & move on. I'm sure they won't make Rado extend his
contract if
he buys another phone (which he can obviously afford). AN old saying
from my
days in police work "You can't legislate against stupidity".

Gary