Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Company Positioned to Facilitate Unified Build-out of National Multi-carrier Network

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:20:34 -0500

Wireless Retail Launches Subsidiary, FootLoose Networks, to Develop a
Carrier-Shared National Wi-Fi Network

      Company Positioned to Facilitate Unified Build-out of National Multi-carrier Network

    SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Dec. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Wireless Retail, Inc. announces
the launch of a new subsidiary, FootLoose Networks, Inc., to facilitate the
build-out of a carrier-agnostic, unified national network of shared Wi-Fi
hotspots.  Wi-Fi, another name for 802.11b, is the most popular worldwide
standard for creating wireless local area networks in offices, homes and
public spaces.  FootLoose Networks plans to become the catalyst for
cooperation among the nation's wireless carriers by providing a
straightforward, cost-sharing model for the build-out and ongoing maintenance
of a single aggregated national network.  FootLoose will offer enterprise
customers and consumers alike multiple service and payment options, including
subscribing for service through their own wireless carrier's data plans and
including such charges on their current wireless phone bill.
    Following Wireless Retail's successful aggregator business model in the
national retail arena, FootLoose Networks will aggregate multiple hotspot
venue partners and offer wireless carriers access to the aggregated network at
a fraction of the cost of a single-carrier network.  FootLoose will provide
"bolt-on" and carrier-specific service and payment options for carrier
subscribers, as well as other tiered service plans customized for stand-alone
subscribers.  Participating venues will be identified with an easily
recognizable icon that will place all participating carriers on a level
playing field.  This customer-centric, open architecture and authentication
business model, powered by today's most advanced wireless networking
technology and mobility solutions, will allow consumers easy access to the
FootLoose shared network, regardless of their wireless carrier.
    FootLoose Networks will utilize Wireless Retail's national retail
distribution network and its other national retail relationships to provide
unified distribution channels for each carriers' Wi-Fi offering.  "FootLoose
Networks and Wireless Retail will give participating carriers a one-two punch
in strengthening their wireless data play by delivering a low cost network
solution coupled with a national distribution strategy," states Dan McMahan,
president and CEO of Scottsdale-based Wireless Retail, one of the nation's top
five retailers of service-based technology products.
    "Capitalizing on Wireless Retail's relationships with its current business
partners, as well as the expertise and strategic direction set by FootLoose's
experienced management team, FootLoose Networks is poised to become the
catalyst that drives the deployment of a nearly ubiquitous network for the
emerging Wi-Fi industry," continues McMahan.  "What we've learned from our
experience at Wireless Retail is that consumers want choice and one stop
shopping.  We believe the same to be true for the Wi-Fi industry.  By
providing a unified network open to all subscribers from any carrier, we will
not alienate anyone, and will at the same time allow carriers to build a
revenue producing subscriber base while hedging their bet in this unknown
space."
    According to Editor-in-Chief, Andrew M. Seybold, The Forbes/Andrew
Seybold's Wireless Outlook, "With the entry of FootLoose into the marketplace,
subscribing to Wi-Fi, the next 'must have' technology for everyone from
business travelers to students, is becoming as easy as signing up for a mobile
phone.  Leveraging its parent company's distribution footprint, one of the
largest in the mobile phone industry, a FootLoose Wi-Fi subscription will soon
be available at stores nationwide."
    "Our goal is to facilitate the build-out of a national Wi-Fi pipe through
a cost-effective, shared network business model so that the requisite capital
is available to create the nearly ubiquitous coverage that is imperative in
driving wireless data subscribership, states Joseph D. Truscelli, president of
FootLoose Networks.  "We strongly believe that the shared-cost model, coupled
with our distribution network, will seed the wireless data market for every
carrier with bandwidth-satisfied wireless data subscribers and will complement
-- not compete with -- the strengthening 2.5 and 3G networks that will fully
roll-out in the years to come."
    FootLoose Networks is lead by seasoned professionals, including its
president, Joseph D. Truscelli.  Truscelli, founder and former president and
CEO of Electronic Data Submissions Systems (EDSS), played a major role in
pioneering the electronic medical data interchange industry.  EDSS, now ENS,
is still nationally recognized as one of the largest companies of its kind.

    About FootLoose Networks
    Scottsdale, Ariz.-based FootLoose Networks Inc. will facilitate the
build-out of a carrier-agnostic, unified national network of shared Wi-Fi
hotspots providing a straightforward, cost-sharing model for the build-out and
ongoing maintenance of the single, aggregated network.  The Company will
aggregate multiple hotspot venue partners and offer wireless carriers access
to the aggregated network at a fraction of the cost of a single-carrier
network.  Participating venues will be identified with an easily recognizable
icon that will place all participating carriers on a level playing field.  For
more information, visit http://www.footloosenetworks.com or call 888-876-9785.

    About Wireless Retail
    Scottsdale, Ariz.-based Wireless Retail Inc. (WRI), is one of the nation's
top five retailers of wireless phones, service plans and other service-based
technology products, and a leading provider of outsourced retail sales
solutions in these categories.  Through its operations in RadioShack, Sam's
Club, Menards, K-Mart and other national consumer electronics retailers, WRI
has developed one of the country's largest sales and distribution networks for
wireless products and services.  Founded in 1994, WRI pioneered the
"store-in-a store" model for wireless sales, while also developing successful
programs for stand-alone stores, consumer direct marketing and mall kiosks.
WRI also specializes in selling other service-based technology products such
as satellite TV and broadband wireless and wired Internet access.  Visit us at
http://www.wirelessretailinc.com .

    For further information, please contact Leigh Nyveen of CPRi
Communications, +1-480-657-9966, ext. 16, for FootLoose Networks Inc.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/