Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Columbia Law School Kernochan Center For Law, Media

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:31:33 -0500

Columbia Law School Kernochan Center For Law, Media And The
Arts Announces A Forum On The FCC Media Ownership Rules
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2002-12-20

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 20, 2002--The Kernochan Center for
Law, Media and the Arts at Columbia Law School will host a forum for the
discussion of Media Ownership Rules currently under review by the Federal
Communications Commission.

This forum will take place on January 16, 2003 at the Frank Altshul
Auditorium at Columbia University from 9:30am - 5 pm.

FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell created the Media Ownership Working
Group (MOWG) and charged it with developing a solid factual foundation for
re-evaluating FCC media ownership policies. These policies are: the
Broadcast-Newspaper Cross-Ownership Rule; the Local Radio Ownership
Rule; the Television-Radio Cross-Ownership Rule; the Dual Network Rule;
the Local Television Ownership Rule; and the National Television Ownership
Rule. The FCC has affirmed its interest in seeking public input about them
as part of the Public Comments process related to the consolidated rule-
making. (The FCC studies can be found at
http://www.fcc.gov/ownership/studies.html)

These findings have been debated and widely interpreted. "This forum gives
an opportunity to those who will be directly affected to voice their thoughts
and opinions regarding these proposed changes," said June Besek of
Columbia Law School's Kernochan Center. "We have invited a wide range of
panelists from studio heads to independent producers, from politicians to
the public in addition to the FCC Commissioners who will ultimately make
the decisions. We hope that this forum will present a comprehensive
discussion of the changes and how they will affect the entire country."

Columbia's Kernochan Center for Law, Media and the Arts was established
to contribute to a broader understanding of the legal aspects of creative
works of authorship, including their dissemination and use. The Center has
encouraged the development of instruction at the Law School in topics such
as intellectual property, copyright, trademarks, the regulation of electronic
media, and problems arising from new communications technologies.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35321291&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3ARegulations&

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.ZSp6B/dlOFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/