Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Now in Color

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:54:27 -0500

Now in Color
If you want to ditch your monochrome display, it’ll cost you.
Entrepreneur magazine - December 2002
By Erik P. Nelson
URL: http://www.Entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,304584,00.html

They’ve been in overseas markets for at least two years, but most U.S. carriers have
waited until this year to unleash phones with color displays. Color screens have spurred
usage in Asia, where 90 percent of handsets now offer color. Every U.S. carrier is testing
the concept on at least one phone.

The handsets are cool but pricey—between $200 and $500. Ira Brodsky, president of wireless
research firm Datacomm, says that camera-equipped phones, multimedia messaging (basically,
attaching a picture or a diagram that can be annotated) and multiuser games all benefit
from color. But color isn’t just for hobbyists: AT&T, Nextel and Verizon have all launched
animated business-productivity applications for color screens. Nextel, for example, offers
Java-based apps for contact organization, bid estimation and loan amortization. Verizon
has BREW apps for tracking expenses and currency conversion.

A few animated applications come with most handsets; others are priced between $1 and $20
per download. But some are sold by subscription and count against your minute plan, so
conduct desk research before buying.

Naturally, color screens increase your overall enjoyment of your phone as well. Brodsky
expects color phones to be a hot holiday gift item and predicts that, by mid-2004, color
will be standard on business and consumer handsets alike.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/Your_Business/YB_PrintArticle/0,2361,304584,00.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/