Subject: [NEXTEL-1] News & Analysis 4Mobility - 13 December 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:13:52 -0500

Andrew Seybold's Wireless Experience

                                        Andrew Seybolds Outlook and The Edmond-Howard
                                        Network have joined forces to create The Wireless
                                        Experience the first source dedicated exclusively
                                        to Total Sales Training for wireless data
                                        products and services.

                                        What are the SIX things you've got to know if
                                        you're going to succeed at selling wireless data
                                        at retail?
 [Andrew Seybold's Wireless Experience] 1. How to sell more wireless data than the
                                        competition
                                        2. What you need to know about wireless data
                                        3. Consumers and business data users; how are
                                        they different?
                                        4. Displaying wireless data at retail
                                        5. Selling wireless data at retail
                                        6. Profiting from wireless data at retail

                                        We're going to give you the answers to these six
                                        critical wireless data retail issues at 2003
                                        International CES on Thursday, January 9.
                                        Register at

    http://www.cesweb.org/conferences/search/session_by_circuit_list.asp?id_track=WE03
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's Topics:

1. Verizon Puts CDMA2000 1xEV-DO On Hold
2. Korea Tries To Establish A New Standard To Replay BREW And Java
3. Wireless Games Forecast To Be Big
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verizon Puts CDMA2000 1xEV-DO On Hold

It appears that Verizon doesn't see the need for a data-only wireless network yet.
CDMA2000 1X, Verizon's current network, beats most of the competition for providing
wireless data. Verizon has also indicated that it will need more spectrum within the next
few years for it voice needs. I believe a number of factors are coming together, including
pressure on margins, that have caused Verizon to hold off building a data-only network.
Competitors such as NextWave may fill the void.

The News [Image]

Verizon: Not yet time for fancy wireless
By Ben Charny Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Verizon Wireless has scrapped plans to build a next-generation data-only cellular network
for complex tasks such as video conferencing--a potentially damaging blow to Qualcomm and
its EV-DO technology, which Verizon was expecting to use. Verizon CEO Denny Strigl told
analysts this week that the company has instead decided to focus on its just-completed
Express Network, a voice and data setup that allows for simpler data tasks, and has
started to produce revenue of about $3 per user. "You will not see VZ jumping into
(EV-DO)," Strigl said. "We've run a couple of trials. It's a terrific product...but I'm
not going to leap into this head over heels."

More @ http://news.com.com/2100-1033-976975.html?tag=cd_mh
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korea Tries To Establish A New Standard To Replay BREW And Java

Although Korea started WIPI (Wireless Internet Platform for interoperability) a couple of
years ago it seems very late to the game. Java and BREW have been around for much longer
and have systems implemented. The train has left the station. I have only been able to
find sketchy information about WIPI so it is hard to judge its technical merits. It does
look like it supports JAVA and C++ (BREW type) code so it may become more interesting as
details develop.

The News [Image]

Korea to Adopt Single Wireless Internet Platform
By The Korea Times

The Ministry of Information and Communication (MIC) said yesterday it has decided to adopt
a single wireless Internet access platform for the first time in the world. The MIC said
it would revise a telecommunications law for the adoption of WIPI, or wireless Internet
platform for interoperability, after gathering opinions from the World Trade Organization
(WTO) member countries.

Among the various wireless technologies, the WIPI is known as a homegrown wireless access
platform, developed by a group of Korean telecom professionals.

More @ http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech/200212/kt2002120617490911790.htm

See presentation at
http://www.aptsec.org/astap/meetingsyear/Forum2002/Sixth-ASTAP/Documentation/paper/ASTAP02-FR06-PL-13_WIPI.ppt

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wireless Games Forecast To Be Big

It seems that wireless games and picture mail are going to be the first big wireless data
applications (and ring-tones if you consider them an application). The following forecast
look encouraging for games.

The News [Image]

Games offer bonanza for telcos
By Reuters

Telecoms could reap the rewards in years to come from downloadable games such as Pacman
and Tomb Raider on mobile phones Downloading games like Pacman or Tomb Raider to mobile
phones could bring a sales bonanza for telecoms operators in the next few years, according
to a survey. Market research group Analysys said western European operators would see
sales of mobile games swell more than 10-fold to 3bn euros (1.9bn) in 2005 from 255m euros
this year.

More @ http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2127106,00.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/