Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Over 135 million CDMA users worldwide - reports the CDMA Development Group

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 03:10:00 -0500

Over 135 million CDMA users worldwide - report

 04-Dec-02

The CDMA Development Group (CDG) has reported that there were nearly 135 million CDMA
subscribers and 24 million CDMA2000 users worldwide at the end of the third quarter of
2002.

"CDMA is the fastest growing wireless technology and dominates the 3G market today," said
Perry LaForge, executive director of the CDG. "CDMA has made phenomenal progress in the
past and it is well positioned for the future. In the coming years, CDMA will expand to
new markets, gain market share and, with CDMA2000 1X and 1xEV, will continue to lead in
delivering the most advanced 3G services around the world."

The CDMA subscriber base grew by 31% over the past 12 months, driven by new deployments in
Asia, Latin America and Europe and the tremendous success of CDMA2000 services. There are
80 million CDMA users in the Americas. In North America, CDMA is the dominant wireless
technology with more than 58 million subscribers. Latin America is one of the fastest
growing regions for CDMA. As of September 2002, there were 26 million subscribers in the
Central and Latin America region, a 40% increase over the past year.

In Asia, the number of subscribers increased by nearly 9 million, or 21%, since October
2001 as China Unicom launched cdmaOne services and CDMA2000 attracted new users in Korea
and Japan. The CDMA2000 subscriber base grew by more than 10 million during 3Q 2002.
Nearly 18% of CDMA subscribers worldwide have access to CDMA2000 services today. In Korea,
more than 40% of subscribers are using CDMA2000, twice as many as at the beginning of
2002.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/