Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel ups ante

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:55:20 -0500

Nextel ups ante

In a message dated 12/26/2002 4:17:27 PM Eastern Standard Time

   * Are you either stating or implying that the $850 million cost could
   * go higher since it is a "committment" rather than a bid? A
   * committment suggests that the cost to Nextel is contractually
   * enforceable.  Since you are an expert on this subject, you can save
   * us the time it would take to do that research if you would be kind
   * enough to respond to these questions.

From:  [email-masked]
Date:  Thu Dec 26, 2002  9:30 pm
Subject: Re: Nextel ups ante - landmobilelawyer

$850 million is Nextel's commitment.  If the money runs out, because for any reason the
retuning was more expensive than predicted, remaining incumbents that have not moved at
that point (private and public safety) would not have to move without funding.  Thus, if
that were to happen, Nextel would have to find a way to get those additional moves funded,
or not have those incumbents move.  However, when Nextel did its analysis (and we did our
own) Nextel tried to "shoot the moon" (as did we), so to speak, and come up with the
highest possible estimate we could, based upon a lot of worst-case scenarios.  Even at
this worst-case, Nextel's analysis was $830 million for both public safety and private,
and they committed $20 million than that.  This is why we all feel pretty comfy with the
$850 million commitment.

Alan Tilles
Shulman, Rogers, Gandal, Pordy & Ecker, P.A.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/