Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IBM Develops Heart Rate Monitor That Calls Cell Phone for Help;Tiny, Portable, Wireless Device for Runners, Bikers,People ``in Distress''

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:38:37 -0500

IBM Develops Heart Rate Monitor That Calls Cell Phone for Help;Tiny, Portable, Wireless
Device for Runners, Bikers, People ``in Distress''
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2002-12-17

ARMONK, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 17, 2002--IBM said today it has
demonstrated a tiny device that measures heart rate and is able to sense
when the person wearing it is in distress, then call a cell phone for
immediate help.

The "distress" signal is sent wirelessly via Bluetooth, a short-range,
low-power radio technology that makes communication possible between
personal digital assistants, laptop computers, printers and mobile phones --
and now, for the first time, the heart rate device joins this list.

There have been heart rate measurement devices on the market for some
time. They are especially popular with joggers and bikers and generally are
worn strapped to the chest. These devices measure how many times an
athlete's heart beats per minute. But the utility ends there. Now, however, in
a technology demonstration, inventors at IBM have taken the device one
important step further.

"We've not only built a new concept model but have actually demonstrated
this first-of-a-kind device, proving it works," said Pat Toole, general manager
of IBM Engineering & Technology Services.

That demonstration took place in front of more than 100 people. During the
demo, someone wearing a standard heart rate monitor chest strap was
given a radio frequency relay device (about the size of a pack of chewing
gum) and a personal digital assistant with special IBM software. A volunteer
from the audience, posing as a concerned relative or fitness coach, was
given a standard cell phone with what is known as short message service
capability.

The relay device is very small, lightweight and "hands-free," perfect for
runners or bikers who want to continue with vigorous exercise but have had
certain heart problems in the past, creating a need to "watch and listen."
When the person performing the demonstration reached the "at risk" level
the device instantly sent a message and the audience volunteer read the
actual heart rate to the crowd.

"A device such as this that sends out an alarm also could be worn by an
elderly person who might find additional comfort in knowing any significant
heart-related episode would be reported," Toole said. "This could offer great
peace of mind for those in need of assisted living."

IBM said this step forward in radio frequency wireless technology could be
applied in a variety of other applications, such as incorporating it into a
running shoe to track exercise data and then share that collected data with
team mates and coaches on an Internet web site.

About IBM

IBM is the world's largest information technology company, with 80 years of
leadership in helping businesses innovate. Drawing on resources from
across IBM and key Business Partners, IBM offers a wide range of services,
solutions and technologies that enable customers, large and small, to take
full advantage of the new era of on demand e-business. For more information
about IBM Engineering & Technology Services, visit
www.ibm.com/technology.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/