Subject: [NEXTEL-1] EMS Technologies Announces Contract for 100 Wireless Mobile Clinical Workstations

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 15:37:37 -0500

EMS Technologies Announces Contract for 100 Wireless Mobile Clinical Workstations
to NY-Based Medical and Trauma Center

    ATLANTA and BUFFALO, N.Y., Dec. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
EMS Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq: ELMG) is announcing today that Erie County
Medical Center, based in Buffalo, N.Y., will deploy 100 Mobile Clinical
Workstations(TM), as part of a hospital-wide deployment of mobile devices at
the patient point of care.
    The Patient Care Project will allow Erie County Medical Center (ECMC), a
designated teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Buffalo School
of Medicine, to automate data entry functions, increasing the legibility of
its documentation and better capture service charges that previously were
lost.  For the first time, ECMC clinicians can wirelessly document critical
patient-care information, such as assessments and interventions.
    "The EMS solution met our requirements of ease of use, safety, security
and interoperability in that the EMS Mobile Clinical Workstations(TM) can work
in any wireless backbone environment," said Debbie Cancilla, CIO and Director,
Information Services, ECMC.  "With this wireless solution, information will be
available real time and more broadly across the institution, which will help
us with our reporting and quality-assurance requirements."
    EMS workstations work in conjunction with ECMC's WiFi wireless backbone
and management software.  The Mobile Clinical Workstations are cart-based
mobile devices equipped with a computer and power supply, and connected
wirelessly to the hospital's servers via RF access points installed in the
hospital's ceiling.  Since 1996, EMS has been involved in more than 400
wireless projects as the leader in total hospital and system-wide wireless
projects such as ECMC across the United States and Canada.
    "ECMC made a wise investment in wireless.  Cart-based devices are the
preferred form factor in today's market.  Our medically rated products are
specifically designed for the hospital environment to reduce costs and improve
the quality of care by improving workflow associated with patient care," noted
Keith Washington, general manager, Healthcare Solutions, for EMS Wireless.
    ECMC will continue to deploy the carts throughout the hospital to be used
by clinical nurses, dietary staff, discharge planners, social workers and
physical, occupational and respiratory therapists.  The workstations are
available for sale through EMS Wireless, a division of EMS Technologies,
primarily through the company's software and distribution partners.

    About Erie County Medical Center
    The Erie County Medical Center (ECMC) Healthcare Network is one of the
area's leading health care providers.  The ECMC Healthcare Network encompasses
off-campus, community based health centers, an advanced academic medical
center with 550 inpatient beds and 156 skilled nursing home beds, and the Erie
County Home, a 638-bed skilled nursing facility.  The medical center serves as
the regional center for trauma, burn, and rehabilitation, and is a major
teaching facility for the State University of New York at Buffalo.  For more
information, visit http://www.ecmc.edu .

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/