Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: Subject: Nextel/900 "Plan"

From: Laura Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:34:09 -0500

Sorry about the delay in responding -- I was tied up in family matters all
weekend.

Question 1 --  Parts of Phase 2 will begin within 45 days of the release of
the R&O.  Those public safety entities seeking to move out of the guard band
will notify the RCC of that desire.  Within 60 days of the order a PN will
go out seeking system information for the public safety entities in the high
priority NPSPAC regions.  Within 120 days of release of the order the RCC
will have the system information and by month 8 will provide a regional plan
based upon that information.  At month 10 -- relocation negotiations begin.
Once negotiations are complete -- relocation can begin.  

Question 2 -- Yes, according to the document, the FCC will allocate the
replacement spectrum to Nextel at the release of the R&O.  Remember though,
Nextel will be using that replacement spectrum as collateral for the $850
million that they are putting up for relocation costs. 

Question 3 -- If the FCC were to adopt the Consensus Plan, I would hope they
would adopt it in its entirety which means that the return of Nextel's 900
MHz for reallocation would be part of the R&O.  Could they ask for a waiver?
Yes.  Would it be opposed by the other Consensus parties?  Yes, if phase 2
had been completed.  If a merger occurs with a 3rd party -- the Consensus
agreement would be binding upon them as well.  

As to what exactly Nextel owns -- we've run lists of every licensee at both
800 and 900 MHz.  I'd be happy to forward those to you.  Send me an email
and I'll get you a soft copy.  As for trading their channels -- those
channels at 800 MHz will be used to move folks around and the 900 MHz
channels will be used by Nextel to replace those 800 MHz channels they'll be
shutting off during the transition.

Question 4 -- Nextel needs to use its 900 MHz spectrum during the transition
because they will have to shut off many of their 800 MHz channels to
accomplish the 800 MHz relocation.  We've got to have green-space at 800 MHz
to get the relocation completed -- and that means that Nextel has to move
some of its operations to 900 MHz -- for a short period of time.  We need to
monitor 2 things closely.  First, that we don't recreate the 800 MHz fiasco
at 900 MHz during the transition.  So, watch how the systems are deployed --
and don't be afraid to voice your concerns to the FCC and RCC if problems
arise.  Secondly, we need to make the 800 MHz transition go as quickly as
possible to get Nextel out of the 900 MHz band.  Then, we need to work on
preventing the situation from recreating itself at 900 MHz -- which may mean
that we need to take a hard look at the types of technology that we deploy
at 900 MHz.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2002 8:23 PM
To: [email-masked]; Laura Smith
Subject: Subject: Nextel/900 "Plan"

Laura,

I have already started recieving questions regarding the "Supplement"
filing. Since you
are one of the authors I am going to direct these questions to you.

----- Original Message -----
From: XXX@XXXXXXX
To: "Marcel" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2002 5:34 PM
Subject: Nextel/900 "Plan"

Marcel,

I'm confused!    From how I'm reading the consensus plan... it looks like
Nextel will need
"ALL" of their 900 licenses for extra
capacity until Phase 2 is completed.  After phase 2 they will return them to
the
commission within 6 months.

1.  What is the date of Phase 2 ?  ( 2 years ?  5 years ?  ).
2.  Shouldn't same rule should apply to them?   The FCC should release
"their "
replacement spectrum at the end of phase 2 as
well.  However... that's not  how it reads.  Nextel states that their
spectrum be
effective at the adoption of the Report and Order .
3.  What's to stop Nextel from filing a waiver asking to keep the 900 two or
three years
from now.  What if a merger should occur
within that time frame ?  Has anyone ever been able to get an accurate count
of how many
B/ILT channels Nextel owns throughout
the country?  Will they be using them as trade?
4.  What about interference to the existing  "Auctioned"  900MHz winners,
who have
successfully met their 5 year construction
deadlines?  It looks like the same long drawn out interference headaches
Nextel created
for operators in 800 is about to happen all
over again in 900.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:42:00 -0500

No problem with the delay, it's the holidays and everyone is busy.
I'm sure everyone understands. Thanks for the response.

Marcel-

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG