Subject: [mobile-ip] Nonce Indices Option

From: "Greg O'Shea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:21:18 -0000

The recent (v19) asymmetry in the way that RR autheticators are
calculated needs to be reflected in the text describing Nonce Indices
Opt, and possibly elsewhere in the text: it is no longer always true
that:

"   The Care-of Nonce Index field tells the correspondent node that
   receives the message which of its stored random nonce values is to
   be used to produce the care-of keygen token to authorize the Binding
   Update."

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 08:44:17 +0200

Greg O'Shea wrote:
> Opt, and possibly elsewhere in the text: it is no longer always true that:
> 

Yes. Here's improved text for 6.2.5:

    The Nonce Indices option is valid only in the Binding Update message
    sent to a correspondent node, and only when present together with
    a Binding Authorization Data option. When the correspondent node
    authorizes the Binding Update, it needs to produce home and care-of
    keygen tokens from its stored random nonce values.

    The Home Nonce Index field tells the correspondent node which
    nonce value to use when producing the home keygen token.

    The Care-of Nonce Index field is ignored in requests to delete a
    binding. Otherwise, it tells the correspondent node which nonce
    value to use when producing the care-of keygen token.

Also, I scanned the document for other inconsistencies related to this
and changed last paragraph of 5.2.6 to

    Binding Updates may also be sent to delete a previously established
    binding In this case, generation of the binding management key depends
    exclusively on the home keygen token and the care-of nonce index is
    ignored.

and I changed the related text in 11.6.1 to

    If the mobile node intends to send a Binding Update with
    the Lifetime set to zero or the care-of address
    equal to its home address - such as when returning home -
    sending a Home Test Init message is sufficient.
    In this case, generation of the binding management key depends
    exclusively on the home keygen token (Section 5.2.5).

and I added the following to the 9.5.1 text that requires checking
of the nonce index values:

    (Care-of Nonce Index values are not inspected for requests
    to delete a binding.)

Jari