Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Government Contract Renewed

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:24:20 -0500

Nextel Government Contract Renewed
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021216/162221_1.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search -

Finance Home -
Yahoo! -
Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.

Nextel Awarded Government-Wide Contract
Monday December 16, 9:27 am ET

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 16, 2002--Nextel Communications
Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) today announced the signing of a contract award
from the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) for a two-year
base contract period with three one-year option periods.

The estimated value of the contract is $200 million per year. The
contract will enable Nextel to provide nationwide Enhanced Specialized
Mobile Radio (ESMR) services to all federal agencies, as well as state
and local agencies with federal funding, and will offer unique
interoperability advantages for emergency preparedness and response.

The Indefinite Delivery, Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract will
supply the full range of Nextel products and services.

The offering includes access to wireless phones and accessories,
Nextel's Java(TM)-technology-enabled wireless phones, wireless packet
data tools, Nextel Direct Connect®, the digital, long-range two-way
walkie-talkie feature, messaging services, Custom Network Solutions
and the Emergency Response rental program.

This suite of services is being delivered on Nextel's nationwide
"always on" all digital voice and packet data network.

Nextel was awarded its initial GSA IDIQ contract in March 1999.
Sales under that contract have far exceeded preliminary expectations.

"Nextel is pleased to continue its relationship with the General
Services Administration," said Mark Angelino, Nextel senior vice
president for Sales Operations. "We are proud that our wireless data
and voice capabilities have been so well received in the government
sector. Nextel continues to meet the ever-changing needs of the
government sector by providing effective communications solutions on a
proven national platform."

The U.S. General Service Administration provides acquisitions
services and procurement vehicles that ensure "best value" along with
streamlined purchasing vehicles for all federal agencies nationwide.

About Nextel Communications

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 197
of the top 200 U.S. markets.

Through recent market launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service
today is available in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240
million people live or work. For more information about Nextel, visit
www.nextel.com.

"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation
Reform Act of 1995. A number of the matters and subject areas
discussed in this press release that are not historical or current
facts deal with potential future circumstances and developments.

The discussion of such matters and subject areas is qualified by
the inherent risks and uncertainties surrounding future expectations
generally, and also may materially differ from Nextel's actual future
experience involving any one or more of such matters and subject
areas.

Nextel has attempted to identify, in context, certain of the
factors that they currently believe may cause actual future experience
and results to differ from Nextel current expectations regarding the
relevant matter or subject area.

Such risks and uncertainties include the successful performance of
new technologies, timely development and delivery of new technologies,
economic conditions in currently existing and targeted markets,
competitive conditions, market acceptance of our services and those
that are described from time to time in reports filed with the SEC by
Nextel, including our annual report on Form 10-K and subsequent
quarterly filings on Form 10-Q.

This press release speaks only as of its date, and Nextel
expressly disclaims any duty to update the information herein.

Contact:

Nextel Communications, Inc., Reston
Media Contacts:
Audrey Schaefer 240/876-1588
John Duty 972/705-8385
or
Investor Contact:
Paul Blalock 703/433-4300

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Got insurance? Free quotes on auto, home, life & health

·

Hide Your Tracks Download internetwasher.com only $79.95!

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home? Compare REALTORS® and View Homes!

·

Make Your PC Faster in Just Five Minutes!

·

Web hosting. Best quality, 24/7 toll free support. Lowest prices.

·

Interest rates won't stay this low forever. Yahoo! Mortgage Center

·

Join Gevalia Kaffe today & Get a Great Gift!

·

Find a Credit Card NOW! eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

Find Old Friends at Classmates.com

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

Related
Quote

NXTL

12.62

+0.55

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Nextel downgraded by Credit Lyonnais Sec - Briefing.com (10:16 am)

·

Nextel Signs Pact to Provide GSA With Mobile Radio Svcs - Dow Jones Business News (10:12 am)

·

Nextel awarded $200 mln a year government contract - Reuters (9:42 am)

·

Nextel Awarded GSA Pact - Dow Jones Business News (9:42 am)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computers, Government, Internet, Networking, Publishing, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Stocks Rise on Hopes for Year-End Rally - Reuters (1:19 pm)

·

WorldCom, EDS Propose Settlement - Reuters (12:17 pm)

·

Retailers Bank on Last-Minute Holiday Sales - Reuters (12:11 pm)

·

United, US Airways to Code-Share Flights - Reuters (12:14 pm)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

Copyright ©
2002 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy
-
Terms of Service
Copyright
©
2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.