Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PADCOM ENABLES SEAMLESS CDMA 1XRTT/802.11 ROAMING

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 15:13:06 -0500

http://www.padcomusa.com/releases/connectivsuite_ver3_6.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Back to Release Directory

PADCOM
ENABLES SEAMLESS CDMA 1XRTT/802.11 ROAMING WITH RELEASE OF VERSION
3.6 SOFTWARE

Software also provides application-specific network prioritization,
enabling greater control over network usage

Bethlehem, PA - December 5, 2002 -- Padcom Inc., a software
company that creates a virtual single data network through the
combination of multiple dissimilar wireless networks, today
announced the release of Version 3.6 of its Connectivity Suite
software. A modular software platform for wireless data networks,
the Connectivity Suite controls and simplifies information flow,
resulting in improved productivity and safety for field personnel.
Version 3.6 introduces a CDMA 1xRTT network adapter, enabling
seamless roaming between a 2.5G wide area network and other
wireless data networks including private RF, CDPD, proprietary
networks and WLANs. The new software version also offers enhanced
application routing, providing administrators with a greater
ability to specify business rules and prioritize the applications
employed by users.

Available for use on CDMA 1xRTT next-generation networks, including
both Verizon and Sprint, Version 3.6 of the Connectivity Suite
enables users to seamlessly roam between CDMA 1xRTT and WLANs,
providing the ability to send and receive high-bandwidth data
within 802.11b hotspots and maintaining connectivity as users
move between networks. Also providing the ability to roam between
2.5G networks and existing wide area networks such as CDPD and
private RF without application or user intervention, Version
3.6 of the Connectivity Suite enables users to take advantage
of the newly deployed high-speed networks while preserving the
investment in legacy networks.

"The shift towards multi-network roaming is already becoming
evident and will continue to grow as the wireless industry evolves,"
said Tim Scannell, president and chief analyst, Shoreline Research.
"This is especially true as companies become more aware of the
need for seamless integration, data reliability and secure access
from remote locations. In Version 3.6 of the Connectivity Suite,
Padcom has successfully resolved these issues and goes a step
further by providing network administrators with additional
levels of control when dealing with multi-network wireless and
mobile environments."

The
Connectivity Suite addresses the security risks associated with
the dynamic IP addressing that is used with 1xRTT networks.
With dynamic IP addressing, each time a user connects their
IP address changes meaning that administrators cannot always
link a particular IP address to a specific device. With the
Connectivity Suite, the network assigns a static IP address
to the device, minimizing security concerns while still providing
access to the 1xRTT network.

For
IT administrators, the release of Version 3.6 offers a greater
ability to specify individual business rules. The patent pending
Port Routing feature of the Connectivity Suite allows administrators
to specify which networks can be used for specific applications.
The updated functionality includes the ability to apply detailed
rules that specify and prioritize the routing characteristics
of application packets, providing IT administrators with greater
control over network usage.

For
example, administrators can have different network priorities
assigned to different applications. Web browsers can be configured
to use wireless LAN as the primary network and CDMA 1xRTT as
the secondary network, while records management systems would
use Motorola RD-LAP as the primary network and CDMA 1xRTT as
the secondary network. This functionality adds a new level of
user specification by defining network priorities for specific
applications and is in response to customers' desire for greater
control over network use.

"Version
3.6 of the Connectivity Suite reinforces Padcom's commitment
to better wireless data management," said Mark Ferguson, marketing
director at Padcom. "The CDMA 1xRTT network adapter provides
a seamless migration path from CDPD without altering the communication
platform while the Port Routing enhancement provides organizations
with a better opportunity to tailor network access to their
specific needs."

For
more information, please contact:

Lisa Marchitto, High Road Communications

Office: 416-368-8348 ext. 261

[email-masked]

2005 City Line Rd. Suite 300, Bethlehem, PA 18017

888-PADCOM2 • 610-882-9940 • fax 610-882-9516