Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fw: [FL-REACT] Info from CGC #552

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:49:18 -0500

More Alertcast Info...  Has Riley been polishing up his hammer?

BTW-  Paul Shinn, KAF8333, is a highly regarded broadcast engineer and is
active in the GMRS two-way community, as well.
-A.D.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Knott" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>,
<[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:44:57 -0500
Subject: [FL-REACT] Info from CGC #552
	<snip>

ALERTCAST WILL TAKE OVER YOUR RADIO BROADCAST SIGNAL

ALERTCAST of El Dorado Hills, CA, is deploying and
experimenting with a mobile transmitter that "overrides the
signals of radio stations on the FM and AM bands."  The system
is designed to be installed in emergency vehicles to warn
motorists that emergency crews are approaching.  According to
the company's press release, "The transmissions are sent via a
signal that extends 360 degrees around the emergency vehicle
and reaches between 750' and 1200'."

PAUL Shinn, Chief Engineer for a group of broadcast stations,
points out that such a device would grossly exceed FCC power
limits for unlicensed applications and has asked Alertcast if
their device is FCC authorized.  CGC has asked Alertcast for
specific authorization data and, so far, the company has not
responded.  In fact, the company's press release describing
their system was removed from their website shortly after CGC
launched its inquiry.  This does not necessarily mean that
the multi-channel transmitter has vanished, however.

http://www.alertcast.net/

---

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/