Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola hustles after Homeland Security business, names new CGISS chief

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:08:34 -0500

Motorola 
Hastens Change In Gov't Division 

By Wireless Week Staff
December 13, 2002

news@2 direct  

Driven by what it calls a need to hustle after business created by the homeland security
craze, Motorola
 has named a new head its Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector and
hastened the departure of the current division leader.

The company today named Greg Brown, who currently is chairman and CEO of business software
provider Micromuse, as president and CEO of the CGISS, which provides communications and
information systems and other solutions for public safety, utility, government and now
homeland security organizations. The unit was responsible for developing the FedEx Power
Pad wireless handheld that the shipping giant plans to begin deploying to its 40,000
couriers early next year.

Brown, whose appointment takes effect Jan. 1, replaces Bob Barnett, who the company says
agreed with Chairman and CEO Chris Galvin that the division requires leadership continuity
for a longer period than Barnett had planned to stay on board, 'given the positive changes
taking place in homeland security communications and related fields served by CGISS. As of
Jan. 1, Barnett will be begin working for Motorola's Office of the Chairman and will
retain his executive vice president title.

CGISS already is showing signs of a business wave spurred by public safety and homeland
security contracts. The division's operating earnings after special items in the first
nine months of this year surged to $124 million from $26 million in the same period last
year.

'Bob has worked relentlessly to serve and support our key stakeholders: communities,
customers, employees, shareholders and suppliers,' Galvin stated. 'His success and
personal leadership are reflected in CGISS recently being named a recipient of the Malcolm
Baldrige National Quality Award.' 

During Brown's tenure at Micromuse, the company's revenue rose nearly 500 percent, the
company says. He also has extensive executive experience in telecom, having spent the 12
years before joining Micromuse in 1998 at Baby Bell Ameritech.
 
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=story&doc_id=109524&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/