Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Airvana and Winphoria Networks Showcase Push-to-Talk Capabilities Over CDMA2000 1xEV-DO at 2002 CDMA Americas Congress -- Companies Conduct Live Demonstrations of Voice Instant Messaging Over a 3G Network

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:03:48 -0500

http://library.northernlight.com/FC20021202770000156.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

Airvana and Winphoria Networks Showcase Push-to-Talk Capabilities Over CDMA2000 1xEV-DO at 2002 CDMA Americas Congress -- Companies Conduct Live Demonstrations of Voice Instant Messaging Over a 3G Network

SAN DIEGO, Dec 2, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Airvana Inc. (www.airvananet.com), a provider of All-IP 3G CDMA2000 1xEV-DO infrastructure, and Winphoria Networks Inc., a core infrastructure provider for wireless networks, today announced that the companies will demonstrate push-to-talk applications over a live CDMA2000 1xEV-DO network and interoperability with 1xRTT networks, during the 2002 CDMA Americas Congress, Dec. 3-5, 2002 at the San Diego Convention Center in Airvana's booth, #315.

Source:

Business Wire

Date:

12/02/2002 09:06

Price:

Free

Document Size:

Short (1 or 2 pages)

Document ID:

FC20021202770000156

Subject(s):

Bandwidth; Business; Cellular; CEO; Commercial; Community; Congress; Dsl; Entertainment; Internet; Korea; President; Products; Radio; Rates; Sales; Technology; Telecommunications; Unions; Web; Wireless; Wireline

Document Type:

Press releases

Airvana and Winphoria Networks Showcase Push-to-Talk Capabilities Over CDMA2000 1xEV-DO at 2002 CDMA Americas Congress -- Companies Conduct Live Demonstrations of Voice Instant Messaging Over a 3G Network

Story Filed: Monday, December 02, 2002 9:06 AM EST

SAN DIEGO, Dec 2, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Airvana Inc. (
www.airvananet.com), a
provider of All-IP 3G CDMA2000 1xEV-DO infrastructure, and Winphoria Networks
Inc., a core infrastructure provider for wireless networks, today announced that
the companies will demonstrate push-to-talk applications over a live CDMA2000
1xEV-DO network and interoperability with 1xRTT networks, during the 2002 CDMA
Americas Congress, Dec. 3-5, 2002 at the San Diego Convention Center in
Airvana's booth, #315.

"As operators continue to look toward differentiated applications to help drive
ARPU, functions like push-to-talk are being carefully considered," said Mike
Champa, president and chief executive officer of Winphoria.

"We are pleased to demonstrate the benefits of push-to-talk services over
Airvana's leading-edge All-IP CDMA2000 1xEV-DO equipment, and believe that this
is an application that will gain much traction in the global wireless
community."

Push-to-talk over wireless data networks, provides users a convenient method to
wirelessly communicate one-to-one or one-to-many. Through the simple touch of a
button, users can initiate a push-to-talk dialogue with users on their contact
list, similar to existing instant messaging services available today. Use of
wireless data networks enables a rich user experience including presence status
and attendance lists with capabilities for visual enhancements.

The live demonstration of Winphoria's SIP-based push-to-talk application will be
shown on Pocket PC-based devices connected to a 3G CDMA2000 1xEV-DO wireless
network powered by Airvana's All-IP Radio Access Network Infrastructure. The
demonstration will also show seamless push-to-talk sessions between users on the
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Network and a user on a commercial 1xRTT network in San Diego.

"Broadband wireless packet networks aren't just for data," said Randy Battat,
president and CEO of Airvana. "The combination of Airvana's All-IP 1xEV-DO
network and Winphoria's core network equipment delivers a valuable
'push-to-talk' service for users and operators."

CDMA2000 1xEV-DO is an "always on" mobile wireless technology that enables data
to be sent over PCS and cellular wireless networks at broadband speeds, and at a
cheaper cost per byte than any other 3G technology. The International
Telecommunications Union (ITU) recognizes CDMA2000 1xEV-DO as a global 3G
IMT-2000 standard. CDMA2000 1xEV-DO's peak data rates can reach up to 2.4
Megabits per second (Mbps), with average, per user sustained rates of 300 to 600
kbps.

Subscribers can connect to a 1xEV-DO network using a 1xEV-DO mobile phone or by
connecting their mobile phone or a PC card to laptops or PDAs. Users will
experience speeds comparable to cable and DSL services and be able to use all
popular business, information and entertainment applications without any
modifications to the applications. The technology can be added to existing
CDMA2000 base stations with a simple channel card upgrade or overlaid on
existing CDMA, TDMA and GSM networks.

About Winphoria

Winphoria develops a commercially available next-generation packet-based Mobile
Switching Center that dramatically increases the capacity of wireless voice
networks, decreases capital and operational costs, and supports both circuit and
packet networks for 2G, 3G, and All-IP wireless technologies. Winphoria is a
private venture capital funded company based in Tewksbury, Mass. Winphoria was
founded in March 2000. Its founders and principal officers have extensive
wireline and wireless industry experience with companies that offered both
traditional circuit switch and packet-switched solutions. For more information
visit
http://www.winphoria.com.

About Airvana

Airvana is a global leader in developing All-IP 3G Radio Access Network
infrastructure equipment for wireless carriers and OEM providers. Based on the
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO high-speed mobile data standard, the company's All-IP products
are designed to dramatically improve the economics of deploying high-speed
mobile Internet services. Airvana is based in Chelmsford, Mass., with sales
offices in Korea. For more information, visit the company's Web site at

www.airvananet.com.

CONTACT: Bock Communications Inc.
Jessica Levy or Matt Geissman (for Airvana Inc.)
714/540-1030 Ext. 18 or 25
Fax: 714/540-1060
[email-masked] or [email-masked]
or
Winphoria Networks
Steven Kish, 978/805-5660
[email-masked]

URL:
http://www.businesswire.com

Today's News On The Net - Business Wire's full file on the Internet
with Hyperlinks to your home page.

Copyright (C) 2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved.

KEYWORD: CALIFORNIA MASSACHUSETTS

INDUSTRY KEYWORD: COMPUTERS/ELECTRONICS

E-COMMERCE

HARDWARE

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

TRADESHOW

SOURCE:

Airvana

Inc.

Copyright © 2002, Business Wire, all rights reserved.

You may now print or save this document.