Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Just one day after the "Timmy The One Trick Pony Show" Lucent drops this Bombshell on Nextel's wish list.............

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:31:57 -0500

Just one day after the "Timmy The One Trick Pony Show" Lucent drops this Bombshell on
Nextel's wish list.............

Just to reiterate what Alan D. posted

Lucent's new chip will-

1) Double voice capacity over existing 2G CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access)

2) It also can boost data capacity by more  than 100 percent to accommodate the growing
demand for mobile high-speed data services, and this can increase overall data throughput
delivered directly to consumers.

One Again- Advantage CDMA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucent Technologies Develops
Capacity-Increasing Chip For Its Revolutionary
Third-Generation CDMA2000 Base Station
Wednesday December 18, 9:01 am ET

New Integrated Circuit Developed by Bell Labs' Mobility Team
Incorporates Intelligent Antenna Capabilities That Support
Greater Volumes of Voice and Data Traffic

MURRAY HILL, N.J., Dec. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Lucent Technologies today
introduced a capacity-increasing chip that will be integrated into its new flagship
third-generation (3G) CDMA2000(TM) base station unveiled last week, the Flexent®
Modular Cell 4.0, and future products in the Flexent® OneBTS(TM) family of base
stations. The "ASIC," or application-specific integrated circuit, was developed by the
mobility team in Lucent's Bell Laboratories and incorporates intelligent antenna
capabilities that enable these base stations to support substantially greater volumes of
voice and data traffic.

Mobile operators that deploy 3G
CDMA2000 1X networks already can
double voice capacity over existing
2G CDMA (Code Division Multiple
Access) networks. Lucent's ASIC,
which supports CDMA2000, also
can deliver an additional two-fold
increase in capacity by utilizing the
intelligent antenna feature. It also
can boost data capacity by more
than 100 percent to accommodate
the growing demand for mobile
high-speed data services, and this
can increase overall data
throughput delivered directly to
consumers.

"The development of this ASIC is
another example of how we are leveraging our spread-spectrum CDMA expertise to
provide our customers with the most advanced and cost-effective solutions," said Paul
Mankiewich, CTO and chief architect of Lucent's Mobility Solutions Group. "Mobile
operators that invest in the Modular Cell 4.0 and our future CDMA2000 base stations
will be able to manage the ever-increasing need for voice capacity, and growing
demand for mobile data services among businesses and consumers, for years to
come."

The Modular Cell 4.0 is "pre-wired" to support intelligent antenna capabilities, which
provides mobile operators with a simple and cost-effective way to add capacity.

The mobility team overcame significant challenges to develop an integrated solution
that provides true per-user intelligent antenna processing. Without per-user intelligent
antenna processing, a base station's antennas produce a wide-angle radio signal
beam that transmits to all users in a given area. However, with per-user intelligent
antenna processing, the base station sends a separate, dedicated, narrower beam to
each active user, which adaptively follows them as they move through the base
station's coverage area.

Transmitting simultaneous, dedicated beams to each active user makes more efficient
use of spectrum and reduces interference, resulting in capacity gains.

Lucent's intelligent antenna processing techniques also are applied to the "reverse
link," or the signal a base station receives from a mobile device when a voice or data
call is active. The combination of intelligent antenna processing at the base station --
in
both the signal transmission and reception of signals from mobile devices -- makes the
overall system capacity gains possible.

Capacity and performance improvements from the Lucent intelligent antenna ASIC can
be realized whether a mobile operator's customer base consists of 2G CDMA or 3G
CDMA2000 users, or a mix of both, without the need for modifications to today's 2G
CDMA or 3G CDMA2000 cell phones or devices.

The high-density ASIC, which includes the intelligent antenna feature, will be integrated
into Lucent channel cards, which can be used to further enhance the capacity of the
Modular Cell 4.0, and future CDMA2000 base stations in the OneBTS family.

The Modular Cell 4.0 is part of Lucent's Flexent® OneBTS(TM) family of base stations,
built using a one-of-a-kind digital platform for 3G technologies. The product is the
highest-capacity base station ever introduced by Lucent, and nearly all of its hardware
is common to Lucent's 3G UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) base
stations.

Lucent's Mobility Solutions Group is a leading global provider of mobile networking
technologies, having deployed more than 70,000 spread-spectrum base stations for
mobile operators worldwide.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021218/nyw043_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.ZSp6B/dlOFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/