Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel, Along With Consensus Parties, Provide Additional Detail

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:46:21 -0500

Nextel, Along With Consensus Parties, Provide Additional Detail in
Support of 800 MHz Consensus Plan; Revised FCC Filing Addresses
Retuning Costs and Timeline
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2002-12-24

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 24, 2002--Nextel
Communications Inc., (NASDAQ:NXTL), announced today, in conjunction
with its consensus parties from the public safety community and private
wireless industry, a detailed filing with the Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) that provides additional information in support of the
consensus plan for improving public safety communications in the 800 MHz
band.

The supplemental filing details the timeline and mechanics of the proposed
realignment process, specifically addressing the relocation and retuning of
incumbent licensees at 800 MHz, and the rights and obligations of
licensees during and after the realignment. The consensus parties have
addressed additional interference protections for licensees after the
realignment process and how the plan would be implemented in the border
areas adjacent to Canada and Mexico.

In addition, Nextel has raised its commitment to assist in the realignment.
Nextel has committed up to $850 million to facilitate the retuning and
relocation for incumbent public safety and private wireless licensees. The
retuning would be completed over a 42-month period commencing with the
Commission's approval of the consensus plan. The first nine months of the
plan will be dedicated to frequency planning and data collection. The
movement of the largest public safety systems that require a substantial
portion of funding will occur in the final stages of the plan. Nextel's funding
commitment remains contingent upon the FCC licensing to Nextel a 10MHz
block of contiguous spectrum at 1.9 GHz.

The consensus plan garners support of organizations representing more
than 90 percent of the 800 MHz licensees affected by CMRS-public safety
interference. Supporters include the International Association of Chiefs of
Police, the International Association of Fire Chiefs, the National Sheriff's
Association, the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials, the
International Municipal Signal Association, the Major Cities Chiefs
Association, the Major County Sheriffs' Association, Aeronautical Radio,
Inc., the American Mobile Telecommunications Association, the American
Petroleum Institute, the Forest Industries Telecommunications, the
Industrial Telecommunications Association, Inc., the National Stone, Sand
and Gravel Association, the Personal Communications Industry Association
and the Taxicab, Limousine and Paratransit Association. This is the only
plan that meets all of the objectives as set forth by the FCC - mitigating
interference to public safety communication systems, minimizing disruption
to existing licensees, and ensuring public safety has the spectrum needed
to perform its critical function.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35413663&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/