Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Dec. 24, 2002 *EXTRA*

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 19:59:49 -0500

*EXTRA*

Big News! Lest you thought the 800 MHz interference issue had faded away, the so-called
"Consensus Parties" that submitted an 800 MHz interference proposal to the FCC earlier
this year have issued another round of comments on their concept--on Dec. 24th, no less!
The groups include APCO, IAFC, IACP, NSA, IMSA, PCIA, but not CTIA, and runs to 150 pages.
We've added a link to the document on our Nextel page, but here is a summary:

The report covers funding the Consensus Plan, procedures and processes for relocating 800
MHz incumbents, post-realignment, interference protection standards, and border area
realignment plans.

And get this: Nextel now offers to fund up to $850 million for the relocation of all 800
MHz incumbents -- not just public safety licensees -- who are required to move pursuant to
the Consensus Plan, <provided> the FCC grants Nextel a replacement 10 MHz in the
1910-1915/1990-1995 band, in exchange for the 10+ MHz Nextel offered to surrender in the
700 MHz, 800 MHz and 900 MHz bands. Previously, Nextel had promised up to $500 million to
cover the relocation costs only for public safety agencies. The new offer still favors
public safety: the offer is split $750 million for public safety agencies, and $150
million for non-public safety agencies.

Expect this new and expanded proposal to set off an even bigger found of debates among
public safety and the private radio community.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/