Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/20/2002 | Police scanners go quiet during city radio test

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:54:00 -0500

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/4778701.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Click here to visit other RealCities sites

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&product=mld&subproduct=philly&size=ribbon&pos=h1&c1=none>
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&product=mld&subproduct=philly&size=banner&pos=top&c1=none>
</SCRIPT>

Help Contact Us Site Index Archives Place an Ad Newspaper Subscriptions

Search

Search the Archives

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&product=mld&subproduct=philly&size=button&pos=left1&c1=none>
</SCRIPT>

LOOKING FOR ...

»

RECENT CHANGES

»

CUSTOMER SERVICE

»

INQUIRER

»

DAILY NEWS

»

DEATH NOTICES

»

TRICLASSIFIEDS

»

COMICS

»

HOROSCOPES

»

NEWSPAPER ADS ONLINE

»

ONLINE STORE

»

NEW! MEDIA KIT

»

TRAFFIC REPORTS

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&product=mld&subproduct=philly&size=button&pos=left2&c1=none>
</SCRIPT>

Our Site Tools

Weather

Philadelphia

48

33

Doylestown

44

31

Atlantic City

51

32

Local Events

Yellow Pages

Discussion Boards

Maps & Directions

Wing Bowl XI Video
Watch the glory and the gluttony as Wing Bowl hopefuls qualify to be in this year's event.

Who will make it?

Freebies
Win tickets to sporting events, concerts, and more!

Play to win!

AFFILIATES

»

Inquirer

»

Daily News

»

Bucks County Midweek

»

Montgomery County Midweek

»

Northeast Times

»

Philadelphia Zoo

»

Taste of Philadelphia

»

6ABC | WPVI-TV

»

Franklin Institute

»

Homes and Living

»

Beach and Bay Homes

»

Active Adult Housing

Back to Home >

Saturday, Dec 21, 2002

Posted on Fri, Dec. 20, 2002

Police scanners go quiet during city radio test

Eavesdroppers on Philadelphia police and fire radio frequencies encountered only silence at various times yesterday as the city conducted a 24-hour test of its new

$52 million 800-megahertz digital radio system.

Although the police, fire and other city departments have been using the digital system for weeks, it was patched through to the old 450- and 150-megahertz systems, allowing police scanners to intercept the calls. When the patch was temporarily taken down for yesterday's test, scanners fell silent, leaving news reporters, tow-truck operators, armchair listeners, bad guys, and anyone else with a desire to hear the calls temporarily in the dark.

The test - which was conducted intermittently yesterday - began at 12:01 a.m. and was over at midnight. The city has assured news outlets that arrangements would be made for them to be able to receive the calls when the patch is permanently pulled, which could occur by the end of the month. Uniden, an electronics company based in Texas, is expected to have a receiver - at a cost of more than $650 - on the market late next month that will receive the calls.

email this |

print this

Employment:

• Find a Job

• Post a Résumé

• Post a Job

Automotive:

• Find a Car

• Sell a Car

• Weekly Specials

Real Estate:

• Find a Home

• Find an Apartment

Local Shopper:

• Search Classifieds

• See This Week's
Sales

• Online Coupons

• Place an Ad

Featured Services:

• Find a Loan

• Meet Someone

• Find a Hotel

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&product=mld&subproduct=philly&size=button&pos=right1&c1=none>
</SCRIPT>

Financial Markets

Sponsored by:

<!-- this section is for Netscape 3+ browsers --><SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1"
SRC="http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&subproduct=philly&product=mld&c1=none&c2=marketwatch&size=120x30&pos=stock">
</SCRIPT><!-- this section is for all other browsers, and browsers with Java and Javascript turned off -->
<NOSCRIPT>
<A HREF="http://krd.realcities.com/click.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&subproduct=philly&product=mld&c1=none&c2=marketwatch&size=120x30&pos=stock"><IMG SRC="http://krd.realcities.com/image.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&subproduct=philly&product=mld&c1=none&c2=marketwatch&size=120x30&pos=stock">
</A>
</NOSCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&product=mld&subproduct=philly&size=tower&pos=right2&c1=none>
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&product=mld&subproduct=philly&size=button&pos=right3&c1=none>
</SCRIPT>

News | Business | Sports | Entertainment | Living | Classifieds

Help | Contact Us | Site Index | Archives | Place an Ad | Newspaper Subscriptions

About Philly.com | About Realcities Network | Terms of Use | Press Center | Copyright

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC=http://krd.realcities.com/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=krnorth&proptype=krd_city&webprop=philly&product=mld&subproduct=philly&size=sponsor&pos=popup&c1=none>
</SCRIPT>

Local

Nation

World

Politics

Obituaries

Weather

Weird News

Columnists

Columnists

Financial Markets

Personal Finance

Technology

Baseball

Basketball

Colleges

Columnists

Football

Golf

High School

Hockey

Motorsports

Celebrities

Columnists

Comics & Games

Dining

Events

Horoscopes

Movies

Music

Nightlife

Performing Arts

Television

Visitors Guide

Visual Arts

Columnists

Education

Food

Health

Home

Occasions

Travel

Automotive

Employment

Personals

Real Estate