Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Globalstar Expands Product Line for Marine, Vehicle and Data

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 23:41:46 -0500

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=34867810&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

News

IndustryWatch

Aerospace/Defense

Auto

Aviation

Banking

Business and Finance

Chemicals

Computers

Economy/Markets

Energy

Entertainment

Environment

Food

Government

Healthcare

Insurance

Internet

Metals & Minerals

Real Estate

Retail

Small Business

Telecommunications

- Equipment

- Fiber Optics

- Local Providers

- Long Distance

- Wireless

- Regulations

- Satellite

Transportation

Travel

Utilities

searchIndustryWatch

Markets &
Stocks

Commentary

Technology

Personal Finance

Retirement

Mutual Funds

Money 101

Money's Best

Track your
stocks

Calculators

CNNfn
on TV

Services

CNN.com

CNNSI.com

MONEY
Magazine
Customer
Service

E-MAIL
NEWSLETTERS
sign
up!

MOBILE NEWS
•AvantGo

sign
up!

Globalstar Expands Product Line for Marine, Vehicle and Data Applications

Source: Business Wire

Publication date: 2002-12-03

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 3, 2002--

New Accessories Make Satellite Phone

Service Even More Practical for Ships, Trucks....Even Palm(R) PDAs

Globalstar, the world's leading handheld satellite phone service,
today announced a suite of new products and accessories, aimed
principally at users who live, work or travel in extreme environmental
conditions on both land and sea.

The new products, now available in the U.S. and Canada, are:

Globalstar GSP-2900 ST Fixed Unit, an updated version of the
GSP-2900 that provides use of a Globalstar phone indoors by
incorporating a fixed, weatherproof rod antenna mounted outside of a
maritime vessel or on the exterior of a building, connected to the
indoor phone unit through the use of a 20, 30 or 55-foot cable. The
outdoor antenna can function in harsh environments from -40 degrees F
to 185 degrees F (-40 degrees C to 80 degrees C).

Globalstar GSP-2900 LP Fixed Unit incorporates the same features
as the GSP-2900 ST, but uses a smaller, much lower-profile antenna,
roughly the size and shape of an inverted teacup. Ideal for
installation in tight spaces or in environments where wind loading is
a factor.

Globalstar GCK-1410-M Vehicle Kit includes a remote vehicle
antenna, cabling, and a handset cradle for use in cars, trucks, ships,
and other vehicles. Users simply slip the Globalstar handset into the
cradle and have instant hands-free phone service without the cost and
inconvenience of a second phone unit. This new kit is a modified
version of the GCK-1410 kit, but with a longer 30-, 45- or 80-foot
cable for installation in even the largest vehicles.

Globalstar GPDK-110 Portable Docking Kit offers users a "vehicle
kit in a bag" that goes anywhere and sets up in minutes to provide
convenient use while inside cars, boats or other vehicles. The kit
includes a battery charger, handset cradle, magnetic antenna (which
can be attached, for example, to a metal roof), hands-free microphone
and speaker, and a separate traditional phone handset for privacy. An
optional data serial port connector is also available. Simply slide a
Globalstar handset into the cradle, and the docking station provides
complete communications flexibility. And the kit quickly packs up into
a small padded case for "fixed" communications that is also completely
portable.

Globalstar GDC-2100 Fixed Data Cable connects Globalstar fixed
units directly to standard RS-232 modem connectors on PCs and PDAs.
Fixed unit users can now easily access the Internet and private data
networks, as well as send e-mail, over the Globalstar network in
either asynchronous or packet data mode.

In addition, Globalstar has introduced several new data adapter
kits, allowing users of mobile Globalstar Qualcomm GSP-1600 phones to
connect directly to USB ports on PCs and Apple computers, as well as
to data synchronizing connectors on several popular Palm models.

Globalstar is a provider of global mobile satellite
telecommunications services, offering both voice and data services
from virtually anywhere in over 100 countries around the world. For
more information, visit Globalstar's web site at www.globalstar.com.

Palm, Palm Powered and the Palm Powered logo are trademarks of
Palm, Inc.

Publication date: 2002-12-03

© 2002, YellowBrix, Inc.

CNNmoney

contact us | magazine
customer service |
site
map | CNN/Money
glossary

OTHER NEWS: CNN | CNNSI | Fortune | Business 2.0 | Time | ON
Copyright © 2002 CNN America, Inc. An AOL Time
Warner Company ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you. privacy policy