Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Gent's Successor At Vodafone Named

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:52:42 -0500

Gent's Successor At Vodafone Named

Four years after Vodafone [VOD] acquired the company he
headed, Arun Sarin will assume the top post at the world's largest
wireless operator. Vodafone CEO Christopher Gent, who earlier this
year said he planned to step down in 2003, will leave the post at
the company's annual general meeting schedule July 30, the
company said Wednesday. Gent was managing director of
Vodafone's U.K. operation at its launch in 1985 and became
company CEO in January 1997. The company's market capitalization
has grown from GBP7.5 billion ($12 billion) at that time to more than
GBP75 billion ($120 billion) today.

Sarin is CEO of investment firm Accel-KKR Telecom (San
Francisco) and also is on Vodafone's board. He was president and
chief operating officer of AirTouch Communications when
Vodafone acquired the U.S. mobile operator in July 1999. He then
worked as head of Vodafone's Americas and Asia region until 2000,
when Vodafone's U.S. businesses merged with Verizon
Communications [VZ] mobile operations to form Verizon
Wireless. His base salary will be GBP1.1 million ($1.76 million), in
addition to incentives similar to those the company offers for Gent

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/