Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Industry Responds to Article on Wireless Phone Use While Driving; More Certainty, Less Sensationalism Needed

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 00:50:58 -0500

http://library.northernlight.com/FB20021130740000021.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc
-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

Wireless Industry Responds to Article on Wireless Phone Use While Driving; More Certainty, Less Sensationalism Needed

WASHINGTON, Nov 29, 2002 (U.S. Newswire via COMTEX) -- The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA) today responded to an article published by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis concerning the use of wireless phones while driving

Source:

U.S. Newswire

Date:

11/30/2002 13:25

Price:

Free

Document Size:

Very Short (less than 1 page)

Document ID:

FB20021130740000021

Subject(s):

USN; Education; Emergency; Internet; Local; Note; Property; Regulations; Statistics; Technology; Telecommunications; Traffic; Weather; Wine; Wireless

Wireless Industry Responds to Article on Wireless Phone Use While Driving; More Certainty, Less Sensationalism Needed

Story Filed: Saturday, November 30, 2002 1:25 PM EST

WASHINGTON, Nov 29, 2002 (U.S. Newswire via COMTEX) -- The Cellular
Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA) today responded to an article
published by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis concerning the use of wireless
phones while driving:

"The article published by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis is little more
than old wine in a new bottle," said spokesperson Kimberly Kuo. "Despite the
hype of the press release, the accompanying article is no more than a
repackaging of old data from two previously published economic studies, which
concluded that the benefits of using wireless phones while driving exceed their
costs and that other safety measures would be more cost effective than banning
wireless phone use while driving.

"It's important to note that the statistics on injuries, fatalities and property
damage noted in the article do not demonstrate a proven link to wireless phone
use. Instead, these statistics are estimates derived from earlier studies
concerning incidents that may be linked to wireless use. By the same token, each
of these incidents also may not be linked to wireless phone use, as the article
makes clear.

"Accordingly, the article warns that the data is limited and conclusions reached
are "very uncertain." For example, the article cites a range of 800 to 8,000
estimated fatalities and 100,000 to 1 million estimated injuries. That's akin to
saying something could be a mouse or an elephant.

"In addition, the article concludes not only that the costs and benefits of a
wireless phone ban are roughly equal, but also that regulations restricting
wireless phone use while driving are less cost-effective for society than other
safety measures. Moreover, the article states that the data do not indicate that
using hands-free devices is safer than using hand-held phones when driving.

"The wireless industry has long supported driver education and the enforcement
of existing reckless driving laws as the most effective way to address all
potential distractions drivers face while behind the wheel.

"So let's not be swayed by sensationalism. Let's be guided by common sense, both
in our response to this article and in regard to the larger issue of distracted
driving."

Education is Key:

The key is educating drivers on the range of distractions they face behind the
wheel -- from applying make-up, to changing the radio or CD, to using various
technologies. A recent AAA study analyzed more than 32,000 traffic accidents
caused by various driver distractions: -- Wireless phones caused less that 2
percent of the accidents studied, while... -- An outside object, person or event
caused over 29 percent, and... -- Adjusting the radio or CD caused more than 11
percent of the accidents.

The wireless industry's national educational campaign encourages drivers to ask
first, "Is this the right time to make a call?" "Will this call distract me from
my first responsibility to drive safely?" If conditions are safe to call,
drivers are encouraged to follow some basic dos and don'ts: 1. Get to know your
wireless phone's features, such as speed dial and voice activation. 2. When
available, use a hands free device. 3. Position your wireless phone within easy
reach before you leave. 4. Let voicemail take a call if you can't reach your
phone, or if you are driving in difficult conditions. 5. Let the person you are
speaking with know you are driving and suspend your call if necessary. 6. Dial
sensibly. Place calls when stopped or before pulling into traffic. 7. Do not
engage in stressful or emotional conversations while driving. 8. Dial 9-1-1 or
other local emergency numbers to help others or yourself. 9. Do not look up
phone numbers or take notes while driving. 10. Realize there are times you
should not call while driving -- in hazardous weather conditions, in heavy
traffic or on unfamiliar roadways.

CTIA is the international association for the wireless telecommunications
industry, representing carriers, manufacturers and wireless Internet providers.

http://www.wow-com.com

http://www.usnewswire.com /U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770/ 01/11 15:37

Copyright 2002, U.S. Newswire

CONTACT: Kimberly Kuo of The Cellular Telecomunications &
Internet Association, 202-736-320

Copyright (C) 2002, U.S. Newswire

-0-

Copyright © 2002, U.S. Newswire, all rights reserved.

You may now print or save this document.