Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CTIA presses FCC on 2 GHz MSS spectrum reallocation

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:40:44 -0500

CTIA Lobbying 
FCC On Satellite Spectrum 

WASHINGTON

CTIA is pressing the idea that the FCC should stick more closely to its spectrum
management report in allocating new Mobile Satellite Service spectrum.

In a letter to FCC Chairman Michael Powell this week, CTIA President and CEO Tom Wheeler
said the re-allocation and auction of 2 GHz band spectrum in the MSS/New ICO Ancillary
Terriestrial Component (ATC) proceeding should 'be at the bottom of the 2 GHZ MSS bands,
as close as possible to the PCS and Advanced Services locations.'

MSS carriers, CTIA contends, want to create an isolated terrestrial island of spectrum
that wouldn't jibe with the ideas of closely aligned spectrum uses.

'Any decision regarding this very valuable block of spectrum will signal the direction the
commission will take in its comprehensive review of spectrum policy,' Wheeler stated.
'CTIA submits that the only justifiable position from both a legal and policy standpoint
would be for the commission to reallocate and auction the majority of the 2GHZ MSS
spectrum, and to deny the requested ATC terrestrial authority.'

CTIA is battling satellite communications service provider ICO over ATC issues involving
satellite services that want to expand to terrestrial businesses. CTIA claims the FCC has
given spectrum to ICO to expand its services from satellite-based offerings to simple
wireless phone service. ICO wants to use that spectrum to provide satellite-based
services, but CTIA says ICO also on Dec. 17 made an FCC filing asking that it be able to
sell wireless phones that aren't supported by satellite capacity.
  
FCC observers say the commission is teeing up a number of issues pertaining to how ATC
systems for MSS could be allowed to operate. The FCC could move on the issue by year's
end.

http://email.wirelessweek.com/cgi-bin4/flo?y=hKAr0C1sh70B4I0BomT0AW

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/