Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Dec. 5, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 20:36:01 -0500

Two New York City council members are hammering out legislation that would require some
building owners to install in-building repeaters for the fire department's radio system. A
consultant earlier recommended that buildings over 7 stories be outfitted with the
devices, which would cost city building owners up to $250 million. Several other cities in
the country have such local laws. It was only recently revealed that the World Trade
Center FDNY repeater worked until the north tower collapsed.

--------------------------
Baltimore (Md.) officials met with FCC staff to discuss the 800 MHz 'Consensus Proposal,'
and told them the city's public safety radio system does <not> suffer from interference,
that it cannot be retuned to other frequencies, and the city doesn't have the money to
replace the gear if the FCC orders frequency reassignments. The city operates a 9-site,
28-repeater Motorola system. The city officials stressed interference reduction solutions,
rather than a complete reassignment in the band. "The private benefit that returning would
bring to some parties should not influence the Commission's analysis of what is essential
a vital public safety issue," the group stated.

--------------------------
The Hound is still nosing around the Anchorage 911 response delay to a triple shooting.
Now the state's brand new Office of Victims' Rights has weighed in with an investigation
that pretty much kicks butt at the Anchorage police department. In a formal response to
the report, APD said the response delay, "was caused by a unique and unprecendented
confluence of electronic, data and human errors in the police emergency response system,"
and said the report didn't constructively contribute to insuring the situation doesn't
recur. In turn, the Office of Victims' Rights called the city's response "inadequate."
Read for yourself at:

http://www.officeofvictimsrights.legis.state.ak.us/ovrhome.htm

--------------------------
Odd juxtaposition: an article in the on-line "xchange" magazine Web site notes that
Intrado is working on expanding its offerings to include intelligent telematics
applications, including automatic notification of vehicle accidents, location tracking,
etc. Then the Wall Street Journal writes an article headlined, "A Car Safety Net With
Holes," and quotes the chief of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety saying, "We
feel that the benefits are not going to be as large as have been sold." The WSJ article
notes that telematics units can be damaged by some collisions, rendering them useless to
send an emergency message. The article also noted a medical study that reducing crash
notification to 60 seconds or less would reduce deaths by between 1% and 6%, or from
400-1,700 lives a year.

--------------------------
The state of Florida has updated their M/A-Com state-wide radio Web site, noting that they
continue to install radios (over 850 mobile radios installed so far), will schedule
train-the-trainer classes in January, and are continuing to build new dispatch centers or
renovate existing ones throughout the state. For the straight scoop, surf:

http://www.myflorida.com/myflorida/sto/slers/

--------------------------
The Baltimore police honored Det. Thomas Newman, who was shot and killed Nov. 23 during an
ambush, apparently in retaliation for his testimony in a previous incident during which he
was shot. During the huge funeral, BPD's radio broadcast that "Car 6563 is 10-7."

================================================

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/