Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FEMA Director leaving

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:40:18 -0500

Allbaugh 
leaving FEMA in March

BY Megan Lisagor 
Dec. 17, 2002  

Joe Allbaugh, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, http://www.fema.gov/
has announced he will leave FEMA March 1 -- after helping the agency make its transition
to the new Homeland Security Department.

A FEMA news release Dec. 14 said that Allbaugh plans to pursue opportunities in the
private sector. The Associated Press further noted that Allbaugh likely would become a key
adviser in President Bush's re-election effort. He served as Bush's national campaign
manager in 2000, and was chief of staff for then-Gov. Bush in Texas from 1995 to 2000.

"I have been a longtime advocate for the Department of Homeland Security and now that it
is a reality and the president has a great team in place, I feel I can move on to my next
challenge," Allbaugh said in a news release Dec. 14.

Under his watch, FEMA has responded to 89 major disasters, including last year's terrorist
attacks. The agency received praise for its Web site, with its around-the-clock updates,
in the tragedy's aftermath. 

Other information technology milestones include launching a pilot version of
DisasterHelp.gov, a one-stop portal for emergency preparedness and response information. 

Allbaugh has called communications a top priority. As part of the Bush administration's
funding request, FEMA would allocate $7 million for grants to states -- with at least 75
percent going to local governments -- for secure systems with video, voice and data
capabilities, but the money hasn't come yet.

Allbaugh manages the agency's $3 billion budget and 2,500-plus federal employees. 

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/1216/web-fema-12-17-02.asp

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/