Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Communications Software

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:10:20 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: [APCO Exchange:] ommunications Software

The following new message has been posted on APCO Exchange Forum at 
<http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi>. 

*************************************************************************** 

  MESSAGE:  (#1442) Communications Software 
            <http://www.apco911.org/theexchange/index.cgi?rev=1442> 
  AUTHOR:   Chris Gillard 
  DATE:     Wednesday, 11 December 2002, at 6:02 p.m. 

I am employed in a large province wide Law Enforcement/Public Safety 
Communications Centre.We are currently looking at a new radio network for our 
users.We are also looking at developing new software for our Communication 
Centre.Our management wants us to look at having a outside firm develop our 
software.We are trying to convince them that the communications software shoud 
be developed in house by our on staff.We are taking this position because we 
feel that the dispatchers are the ones that use and rely on the software so it 
is really critical that we develop it and maintain it.Our management has no 
experience in this field.We are currently handeling about 30,000 calls a month 
and if we get inadequate software we will have trouble actioning these 
calls.Management appears to not want to bend on their position.I am just 
wondering if any other Communication managers or supervisors have experienced 
this problem and if anyone has any ideas of the advantages or disadvantages of 
each senorio, that is hire a outside software developer or do it in house. 
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 
Chris Gillard 
Alberta Government 
Communications Information Control Centre.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/