Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nortel Networks Technology to Link Wi-Fi Networks with CDMA, GPRS, UMTS Networks

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 23:54:02 -0500

Nortel Networks Technology to Link Wi-Fi Networks with  CDMA, GPRS, UMTS Networks
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=34861828&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

News

IndustryWatch

Aerospace/Defense

Auto

Aviation

Banking

Business and Finance

Chemicals

Computers

Economy/Markets

Energy

Entertainment

Environment

Food

Government

Healthcare

Insurance

Internet

Metals & Minerals

Real Estate

Retail

Small Business

Telecommunications

- Equipment

- Fiber Optics

- Local Providers

- Long Distance

- Wireless

- Regulations

- Satellite

Transportation

Travel

Utilities

searchIndustryWatch

Markets &
Stocks

Commentary

Technology

Personal Finance

Retirement

Mutual Funds

Money 101

Money's Best

Track your
stocks

Calculators

CNNfn
on TV

Services

CNN.com

CNNSI.com

MONEY
Magazine
Customer
Service

E-MAIL
NEWSLETTERS
sign
up!

MOBILE NEWS
•AvantGo

sign
up!

(NT.TO) Nortel Networks Technology to Link Wi-Fi Networks with CDMA, GPRS, UMTS Networks

Source: Business Wire

Publication date: 2002-12-03

DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 3, 2002--

Expected to Be Industry's First Infrastructure Vendor to Tie

Emerging Hot Spots with Wireless Devices Operating on All Major

Wireless Access Technology Standards

Nortel Networks (NYSE:NT)(TSX:NT.) today announced the ability to
provide integrated solutions for wireless operators that will
seamlessly link existing and future Wireless Wide Area Networks
(WWANs) with fast-emerging wireless 'hot spots,' also known as
Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs).

Nortel Networks integrated WWAN/ WLAN technology will give GSM,
GPRS, UMTS and CDMA wireless operators the opportunity to provide
enterprises and consumers with a single 'sign on' and seamless service
between 2G/3G networks and wireless hot spots. This solution will also
give operators the capability to provide consolidated billing,
authentication and security without the need to restructure existing
network architectures.

This technology will help enable mobile workers to establish
'virtual offices,' connect securely to corporate intranets, send and
respond to e-mails, access the Web, download files, and conduct
business from virtually any location. In addition, it will allow users
to roam seamlessly between wireless 2G/3G and WLAN networks with
uninterrupted access to the same Internet Protocol (IP) data services.
The technology will also manage billing information across networks so
that end users can receive one consolidated bill from their wireless
operator.

"As part of our Wireless Data Networks strategy, Nortel Networks
has developed this comprehensive suite of solutions to allow wireless
operators to offer secure WLAN hotspot connectivity as an extension to
their existing wireless services," said Dave Murashige, vice
president, strategic marketing, Wireless Networks, Nortel Networks.
"The WLAN strategy we are announcing today demonstrates our commitment
to helping operators create a mobile environment that delivers users
compelling content and data services from any location. Our WLAN
technology, coupled with our extensive experience in IP data
networking, will position operators to increase revenue potential and
reduce subscriber churn."

"Public access WLAN provides a good test bed for mobile data
applications, particularly those targeted at enterprise markets," said
Jason Chapman, senior analyst, Gartner. "With 3G mobile heavily
relying on the take-up of data services, it is not only in the
interests of mobile operators but also of the mobile infrastructure
vendors to make sure that early data services are successful, paving
the way for 3G. Once mobile enterprise customers feel security and
pricing are not prohibitive, they will get used to, for example, being
able to pull out their laptops in a coffee shop and get access to
corporate data."

As part of its integrated WWAN/WLAN offering, Nortel Networks is
working with Mobility Network Systems, a leading supplier of
carrier-class WLAN solutions, to provide comprehensive solutions that
will enable GSM, GPRS and UMTS operators to integrate WLANs into their
existing networks and service platforms using SIM and RADIUS
technology. In interoperability testing conducted earlier this year,
Mobility Networks ipRAN technology was successfully integrated with
Nortel Networks GSM, GPRS and UMTS core network infrastructure and
products, including Home Location Register (HLR) and Nortel Networks
Univity GPRS Gateway Serving Node (GGSN).

Nortel Networks CDMA technology will enable CDMA operators to
provide WLAN services to their customers using existing CDMA2000 core
network equipment. Nortel Networks is working in collaboration with
Bridgewater Systems and MetaSolv to support common authentication and
billing between CDMA2000 and Wi-Fi networks, enabling a single
'sign-on' for the customer and consolidated billing information. CDMA
operators can choose to deploy their own WLAN access networks or act
as a virtual network operator through WLAN access wholesalers or
aggregators.

Nortel Networks Univity GGSN/PDSN, based on Nortel Networks
Shasta platform, can provide a number of value-added benefits for
wireless operators wanting to integrate WLANs with WWANs. Univity
GGSN/PDSN will allow operators to identify and manage subscribers,
control traffic flows, and deliver a richer set of IP data services.
It will also provide enhanced protection of subscriber data with
security features such as 'state-aware' firewalls and strong
encryption algorithms.

In addition, Nortel Networks integrated WWAN/WLAN technology will
use industry standard IPSec encryption technology to help reduce
enterprise security concerns. Nortel Networks Contivity solution can
also be used to provide encryption, authentication, firewalls and
routing in a single, secure switch, and stops unauthorized users from
hacking into the network to gain free access and/or steal confidential
information.

Nortel Networks is an industry leader and innovator focused on
transforming how the world communicates and exchanges information. The
Company is supplying its service provider and enterprise customers
with communications technology and infrastructure to enable
value-added IP data, voice and multimedia services spanning Wireless
Networks, Wireline Networks, Enterprise Networks, and Optical
Networks. As a global company, Nortel Networks does business in more
than 150 countries. More information about Nortel Networks can be
found on the Web at www.nortelnetworks.com.

Certain information included in this press release is
forward-looking and is subject to important risks and uncertainties.
The results or events predicted in these statements may differ
materially from actual results or events. Factors which could cause
results or events to differ from current expectations include, among
other things: the severity and duration of the industry adjustment;
the sufficiency of our restructuring activities, including the
potential for higher actual costs to be incurred in connection with
restructuring actions compared to the estimated costs of such actions;
fluctuations in operating results and general industry, economic and
market conditions and growth rates; the ability to recruit and retain
qualified employees; fluctuations in cash flow, the level of
outstanding debt and debt ratings; the ability to meet financial
covenants contained in our credit agreements; the ability to make
acquisitions and/or integrate the operations and technologies of
acquired businesses in an effective manner; the impact of rapid
technological and market change; the impact of price and product
competition; international growth and global economic conditions,
particularly in emerging markets and including interest rate and
currency exchange rate fluctuations; the impact of rationalization in
the telecommunications industry; the dependence on new product
development; the uncertainties of the Internet; the impact of the
credit risks of our customers and the impact of increased provision of
customer financing and commitments; stock market volatility; the
entrance into an increased number of supply, turnkey, and outsourcing
contracts which contain delivery, installation, and performance
provisions, which, if not met, could result in the payment of
substantial penalties or liquidated damages; the ability to obtain
timely, adequate and reasonably priced component parts from suppliers
and internal manufacturing capacity; the future success of our
strategic alliances; and the adverse resolution of litigation. For
additional information with respect to certain of these and other
factors, see the reports filed by Nortel Networks with the United
States Securities and Exchange Commission. Unless otherwise required
by applicable securities laws, Nortel Networks disclaims any intention
or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements,
whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

Nortel Networks, the Nortel Networks logo, the Globemark,
Univity, Shasta and Contivity are trademarks of Nortel Networks. ipRAN
is a trademark of Mobility Networks.

Publication date: 2002-12-03

© 2002, YellowBrix, Inc.

CNNmoney

contact us | magazine
customer service |
site
map | CNN/Money
glossary

OTHER NEWS: CNN | CNNSI | Fortune | Business 2.0 | Time | ON
Copyright © 2002 CNN America, Inc. An AOL Time
Warner Company ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you. privacy policy