Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Exposure limits

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 22:20:16 -0500

Hmmm? I wonder if those 100ft Nextel sites with 200 Watt ERP's, 20 degree downtilt and
narrowbean antennas are in compliance with exposure limits? This may be one way to get
past the emmision mask issue.
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/News_Releases/DOC-228609A1.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Click here for Adobe Acrobat version

Click here for Microsoft Word version

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION

445 12th STREET S.W.

WASHINGTON, D.C. 20554

News media information 202/418-0500

TTY 202/418-2555

Fax-On-Demand 202/418-2830

Internet http://www.fcc.gov

ftp://ftp.fcc.gov

This is an unofficial announcement of Commission Action.
Release of the full text of a Commission order
constitutes official action.
See MCI v. FCC. 516 F 2d 385 (D.C. Circ 1974)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 18, 2002

NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:

John Winston (202) 418-7450

[email-masked]

FCC PROPOSES TO FINE A-O BROADCASTING $28,000 FOR

VIOLATIONS OF RF RADIATION LIMITS AND OTHER COMMISSION RULES

Washington, D.C. - Today, the Commission released a Notice of Apparent
Liability for Forfeiture proposing that A-O Broadcasting, Inc.
(``A-O''), licensee of FM radio station KTMN, Cloudcroft, New Mexico,
be held liable for a $28,000 forfeiture for violations of the
radiofrequency radiation (``RFR'') exposure limits applicable to
transmitters on towers and for other rule violations. This is the
first case in which the Commission has proposed a monetary forfeiture
for violation of the RFR exposure limits.

FCC agents inspected KTMN's transmitter site after receiving a
complaint alleging that KTMN was not operating at its authorized power
and was not in compliance with the RFR exposure limits. The inspection
revealed that KTMN's transmitting antenna, which was mounted on an
observation tower used by the U.S. Forest Service to watch for
wildfires, was mounted substantially lower on the tower than authorized
in KTMN's license. Measurements taken by the agents showed that
operation of KTMN's transmitting antenna at only 40% of its authorized
power created RFR fields which exceeded the RFR exposure limits for the
general public by more than 300% on the observation tower and in areas
outside the fence surrounding the tower that were accessible to the
public. In addition, the agents found that A-O had not complied with
special RFR operating conditions set forth in its license. The
Commission proposes that A-O be held liable for a $10,000 forfeiture
for exceeding the RFR exposure limits in apparent violation of Section
1.1310 of the Commission's Rules.

The Commission also proposes that A-O be held liable for an $8,000
forfeiture for failure to install Emergency Alert System equipment in
apparent violation of Section 11.35 of the Commission's Rules, a $7,000
forfeiture for failure to have a main studio in apparent violation of
Section 73.1125 of the Commission's Rules, and a $3,000 forfeiture for
failure to have adequate transmission system control in apparent
violation of Section 73.1400 of the Commission's Rules.

Action by the Commission on November 14, 2002, by Notice of Apparent
Liability for Forfeiture

(FCC 02-312).

Chairman Powell, Commissioners
Abernathy, Copps and Martin.

- FCC -

Enforcement Bureau Contacts: John Winston at (202) 418-7450 or Kathy
Berthot at
(202) 418-7454.

TTY: 1 (888) 835-5322