Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Marriott-Wireless LAN Service

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:44:51 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=12/18/02

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search Wireless Week

Entire Site
Articles
Web-Exclusive
Archives
Companies
Products
Directories
Events

Archive Map

Tips

|  Advertise  |  Archives  |  Events  |  Directories  |  Discussions  |  news@2direct®  |  Subscribe  |

You Are Here > Home > News@2 Direct

Issues

Newsletter

news@2direct® Archive

Tools / Services

Archives

Capitol Hill Contacts

Directories

Events

Glossary

Industry Research

Industry Stocks

In-Stat Store

International Data

Product/Web Showcase

Show Dailies

Webcasts

Wireless 101

Web Directories

Associations
Carriers
Education
Government
Publishing
Research/Consultants
Vendors

Inside Wireless

Advertise - Web

Editorial Planner

Print Subscription

Reprint Requests

Privacy Policy

Direct Marketing Lists

Marriott-Wireless LAN Service

By Wireless Week Staff
December 18, 2002

Print

E-mail

Subscribe

Single-page Format

Hotel giant Marriott is deploying broadband wireless LAN
access to the Internet at 400 hotels in the United States, the United Kingdom
and Germany, in what it calls the lodging business's largest such
deployment.

The announcement today follows a seven-month trial by Marriott and its WLAN
service provider, STSN, at five Marriott and Residence Inn locations. Hotel
guests or others in range of the network - which will cover lobbies, meeting
rooms and other public areas while rooms get broadband access via Ethernet -
turn on an 802.11-equipped laptop or other device and sign onto the service via
an STSN Web page. Marriott has not yet announced pricing for the service.

The deployment at Marriott, which has a total of 2,665 operating units
worldwide, is a coup for Salt Lake City-based STSN, which today also disclosed
it had received an investment from the Intel Communications Fund. The
unspecified investment follows the fund's initial investment in the
much-publicized Cometa Networks venture created by Intel, AT&T and
others.

Intel today also disclosed that the fund was investing in a third Wi-Fi
company, Bellevue, Wash.-based TeleSym, which produces IP telephony
software.

<< Previous News@2 Article

More News@2 >>

News Briefs:

Online retailer LetsTalk has developed and will manage a
new Web site that sells Nokia phones directly to U.S.
consumers from the manufacturer. The site at www.nokia.com/us will enable customers to
buy phones and compatible rate plans from most major wireless carriers, with
fulfillment provided out of LetsTalk's new 25,000-square-foot customer care
and distribution center in Dallas.

The 3G Americas organization has tapped Rod Nelson, chief
technology officer of AT&T Wireless, as its chairman of
the board of governors beginning next month. Nelson succeeds Bill Clift,
Cingular Wireless' CTO, who had served since the group's
March 2002 inception.

Chicago software provider Atsonic has unveiled a new
service called sweetTRAFFIC that provides live video traffic updates --
including real time traffic images -- and other travel information to wireless
users with suitably equipped wireless phones and PDAs. The company says a
preview of the service is available now in Chicago, with all major markets to
become available in the first quarter.

Alcatel won a multimillion-dollar contract to provide its
MDR-8000 microwave digital radios across U.S. Cellular's
wireless networks, to help expand network capacity and capability.

Billing and customer management software provider Portal
Software won a contract to supply its Infranet convergent billing
solution to GSM/GPRS carrier Cell C in South Africa.

Lucent Technologies unveiled a new integrated circuit
that it says provides support for intelligent antenna capabilities to its
recently introduced Flexent Modular Cell 4.0 CDMA 2000 base stations. Lucent
says that by using intelligent antennas, the base station can double the
already greater voice and data capacity of CDMA2000 1X networks.

Allied Business Intelligence forecasts the global demand
for 802.11x-based wireles LAN solutions is higher than earlier expected. The
market could hit chipset shipments totaling 23 million to 25 million units
this year compared with earlier forecasts for 14 million to 15 million units
and last year's 7.9 million. ABI also says Wi-Fi chipset shipments could rise
to 147.5 million by 2007, generating revenue of $1.13 billion.

Wireless LAN service provider GRIC Communications says
Japan's NEC and Sony Communications Network
will offer GRIC's wireless Internet roaming service to their enterprise and
consumer customers. Excite Japan also will offer GRIC
wireless roaming service to its subs.

Regional wireless service provider Kiwi PCS says it has
launched a Garuda Networks softswitch at its Raleigh, N.C.,
switching center, to handle long distance and prepaid service
offerings.

<script language="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=12%2F18%2F02;desc=Wednesday;sz=468x60;ord=37608272343008768?">
</script>
<noscript>
<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=12%2F18%2F02;desc=Wednesday;sz=468x60;ord=37608272343008768?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/ww.rbi/;abr=!ie;type=wirelessweekbanner;pos=2;lay=newsat2direct;kw=12%2F18%2F02;desc=Wednesday;sz=468x60;ord=37608272343008768?" border=0 width="468" height="60"></A></noscript>

Wireless Home

About Us

Advertise

FAQs

Contact Us

Register/Log In

© 2002 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Use of this Web site is subject to its Terms and Conditions of Use
Privacy Policy