Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GPS- On Da Cheap

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:15:43 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-10-2002/0001855227&EDATE=

-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Cobra Electronics Announces Breakthrough Technology for Handheld Global Positioning System (GPS)

Cobra Positioned for GPS Market Leadership

CHICAGO, Dec. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Cobra Electronics Corp.
(Nasdaq: COBR) today announced that its new line of handheld GPS products will
feature its exclusive Accelerated Satellite Acquisition Protocol (ASAP(TM))
technology enabling users to identify their location up to twice as fast as
with any current consumer technology on the market.
The ASAP technology is one of a number of breakthrough features that make
Cobra's new GPS products the most user-friendly line available, addressing
what has traditionally been the primary barrier to consumer acceptance.
"Our entry into GPS represents an outstanding opportunity to accelerate
the category's already-impressive growth by providing the features and
performance consumers demand," said James Bazet, president and CEO of Cobra
Electronics. "In fact, Cobra's consumer awareness, brand equity and record of
innovation have cleared the way for successful retail placement."
The GPS 100, GPS 500 and the GPS 1000 models include Cobra's exclusive
ASAP technology that accesses 18 channels, as opposed to the category standard
of 12, to more quickly match satellite coordinates and identify the user's
location.
"The integration of the ASAP technology speaks to Cobra's strength of
introducing leading-edge features designed to maximize the consumer experience
and raise the bar for an entire category," said Tony Mirabelli, senior vice
president of marketing and sales for Cobra Electronics. "Our consumer
research shows a positive reaction to the ASAP technology and our other user-
friendly features, a clear indication that our product will be well-received
and successful in the marketplace."
In addition to the ASAP technology, Cobra's GPS 500 and GPS 1000 models
will feature software from Rand McNally, the premier provider of mapping,
routing and travel solutions. All of Cobra's GPS units also incorporate a
unique easy-to-use interface that enables users to input information and
change screens much the way they do when using personal computers.
"Cobra has built leadership positions in both the Radar Detector and the
GMRS/FRS mobile communications categories by combining our innovative, high-
performance products with our strong retail relationships and powerful brand
equity," Bazet said. "We think the GPS category offers us a tremendous
opportunity to repeat that success."
Cobra's handheld GPS units will be available at retailers nationwide in
2003.

ABOUT COBRA ELECTRONICS
Cobra Electronics Corporation (Nasdaq: COBR) is a leading global
manufacturer of mobile communications products for consumers, having attained
a leadership position in every market in which it currently does business.
The GMRS/FRS (General Mobile Radio Service/Family Radio Service) market has
been one of the fastest growing segments of mobile communications, and Cobra
is a leading provider in the U.S., Canada and Europe. In addition, 2003 marks
Cobra's entry into the GPS (Global Positioning System) market with the
development of the most user-friendly product line on the market. To learn
more about Cobra Electronics, please visit the Cobra site at http://www.cobra.com .

Click here

SOURCE Cobra Electronics Corporation

Web Site: http://www.cobra.com

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

More news from PR Newswire...

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.