Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Who wanted info on Nextel's performance during a disaster???

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 04:06:09 -0500

-------- Original Message -------- From: Gary Light Subject:  Who wanted info on Nextel's
performance during a disaster??? To:--Boundary_(ID_eOnuB56gYYVQSWAHiD5zsA) Content-type:
text/plain; charset=Windows-1252 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT Today I had a terrible
time trying to get my wireless calls to go through to clients and to business reps. I
thought perhaps my Sprint PCS phone service was to blame until I went to a 2:00 pm bid
opening where the EMS providers for my county--all using Nextel for admin, tactical
communications, and thank God, NOT dispatch--were complaining about how their service was
terrible today. Calls weren't going through, busy circuits were frequently encountered,
etc. The customer I had been trying to reach on the way to the bid opening? Nextel. I had
quite a bit of success making my calls, unless they were to another cellular provider. The
PCS to PCS system was working well. PCS to landline seemed OK. Later, as I picked up my
son from a friend's house to do a last minute shopping errand, his friend's mom commented
on how hectic it had been trying to reach her husband on his phone service all day with
busy circuits, calls lost in space, etc. His provider? Nextel. Then, this evening, I get
the following e-mail message: "Dear Everest Customer: Today, Monday December 23, at
approximately 12:48 PM, Southwestern Bell Telephone Company suffered a major network
failure that is impacting a multi-state Bell service territory. The damage to Southwestern
Bell's network affects all Everest customers who try to call a Southwestern Bell customer,
Verizon wireless, Sprint, t-mobile and cingular customers. You may have noticed getting a
fast busy signal or no tone at all when dialing out to customers on these other services.
Likewise, due to the fiber cut, such customers will have a hard time placing a call to
you. Southwestern Bell is aware of this damage and acting to restore their service as soon
as possible. There is not a known estimated time when the repairs will be completed.
Everest will continue to monitor this situation and send out another e-mail announcement
when Southwestern Bell service is once again operable. If you are trying to place an
urgent call to a customer served by Southwestern Bell, we suggest you try continuously
until you are able to get your call through. Our testing shows that Everest customers are
having intermittant success completing calls to homes and businesses served by
Southwestern Bell. We would like to stress that this problem is not on the Everest
network, and you can continue to make calls to all Everest customers and others that are
not on Southwestern Bell services. Thank you for choosing Everest, we appreciate your
business!" I was later LMAO when I shared these stories with one of our other radio sales
guys who has been in the business for many years longer than I. Homeland security? Who
wants depend on something disrupted by one guy with a back hoe? Gary Light RF--more than
just a warm, fuzzy feeling! --Boundary_(ID_eOnuB56gYYVQSWAHiD5zsA) Content-Type:
text/html; charset=Windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit  Today I had a terrible
time trying to get my wireless calls to go through to clients and to business reps. I
thought perhaps my Sprint PCS phone service was to blame until I went to a 2:00 pm bid
opening where the EMS providers for my county--all using Nextel for admin, tactical
communications, and thank God, NOT dispatch--were complaining about how their service was
terrible today. Calls weren't going through, busy circuits were frequently encountered,
etc. The customer I had been trying to reach on the way to the bid opening? Nextel. I had
quite a bit of success making my calls, unless they were to another cellular provider. The
PCS to PCS system was working well. PCS to landline seemed OK. Later, as I picked up my
son from a friend's house to do a last minute shopping errand, his friend's mom commented
on how hectic it had been trying to reach her husband on his phone service all day with
busy circuits, calls lost in space, etc. His provider? Nextel. Then, this evening, I get
the following e-mail message: "Dear Everest Customer:

Today, Monday December 23, at approximately 12:48 PM, Southwestern Bell
Telephone Company suffered a major network failure that is impacting a
multi-state Bell service territory.  The damage to Southwestern Bell's
network affects all Everest customers who try to call a Southwestern Bell
customer, Verizon wireless, Sprint, t-mobile and cingular customers.  You
may have noticed getting a fast busy signal or no tone at all when dialing
out to customers on these other services.  Likewise, due to the fiber cut,
such customers will have a hard time placing a call to you.

Southwestern Bell is aware of this damage and acting to restore their
service as soon as possible.  There is not a known estimated time when the
repairs will be completed.  Everest will continue to monitor this situation
and send out another e-mail announcement when Southwestern Bell service is
once again operable.

If you are trying to place an urgent call to a customer served by
Southwestern Bell, we suggest you try continuously until you are able to
get your call through.  Our testing shows that Everest customers are having
intermittant success completing calls to homes and businesses served by
Southwestern Bell.   We would like to stress that this problem is not on
the Everest network, and you can continue to make calls to all Everest
customers and others that are not on Southwestern Bell services.

Thank you for choosing Everest, we appreciate your business!"I was later LMAO when I
shared these stories with one of our other radio sales guys who has been in the business
for many years longer than I. Homeland security? Who wants depend on something disrupted
by one guy with a back hoe?  Gary  Light RF--more than just a warm, fuzzy feeling!

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Bulldog <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 23:39:09 -0000

Funny you say this.  Yesterday in South Texas all NEXTEL's 
experienced the same thing.  No Cell, No voice mail, Intermitent DC.  
Only Nextel...my colleagues' AT&T and Sprint were working fine.  I 
was the only one out of commission all day.  The problem went 
unresolved for nearly 24 hours.

Based on personal experience and sound reasoning I cannot understand 
how the prospect of using NEXTEL for PS can even be entertained!  
There's simply too many variables on which the system is dependent.

Although, considering how well N executes its biz plan, I suspect 
they'll have their spectrum swap and their handsets in every cop, 
fireman and EMT's hand in the nation within the next fiscal year. 
~Bulldog

--- In [email-masked], Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:
> performance during a disaster??? To:--Boundary_