Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Dec. 23, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:00:55 -0500

Tragic news: New Haven (Conn.) fire dispatcher Theresa Flowers was working when a report
of a house fire was received--her own home. Heroically, she remained at her post to handle
the incident, despite knowing that her uncle, grandmother and daughter were inside the
house. Firefighters arrived and laddered the 3-story home just as the uncle jumped from an
upper window. Her 7 year-old daughter Crystal was rescued by a firefighter, but Theresa's
grandmother died in the blaze. She later said, "I wanted to go, but I didn't want to leave
my coworkers. There was only two of them left." The fire department took up a collection
and netted $3,000, which they gave to Flowers to help with expenses. Flowers has been
off-work since the Nov. 23 incident trying to put her family back together.

--------------------------
Portland's Bureau of Emergency Communications honored a 11 year-old "911 Hero" recently:
Melissa Salisbury dialed 911 to report her grandfather was trapped beneath the truck he
was repairing. Melissa calmly gave calltaker Cheryl Lindquist information about the
situation and her grandfather's condition, and then went to the street to flag down
emergency crews. She was honored during an assembly at her school attended by officials
from the BOEC, AMR, and the Red Cross. BOEC director Carl Simpson noted, "At one point
Melissa was surrounded by television cameras, reporters, microphones and bright lights. If
you didn't see the news coverage, Melissa was dynamite... poised, composed, sweet, very
charming." Melissa will reportedly be intereviewed on ABC's "Good Morning America" this
week.

--------------------------
The Seneca County (NY) Sheriff's Department plans to begin charging fees in January for
false alarms from the 300 premises that connect directly to the sheriff's comm center.
Under the new regulations, those will alarms will need permits ($25), and will be allowed
two false alarms before being charged $25 for the third false alarm, and then $50 each for
subsequent ones. Medical alarms are exempted from the regulations.

--------------------------
In Anchorage, the mayor's recently-formed, 7-member 911 task force will listen to logging
recorder tapes of the 911 call made by Patti Godfrey, whose husband was shot and killed
last August. The task force in investigating a 48-minute response delay to the incident,
caused by a series of personnel mistakes and geofile errors. Patti Godfrey was also shot
during the incident, and pleaded with the calltaker to send help. Former Lt. Gov. Steve
McAlpine, who sits on the task force, said he couldn't bear to read a transcript of the
911 call, and that he didn't want to hear the actual tape.

--------------------------
FCC commissioners are working right up to the holiday! On Dec. 23 they issued a request
for comments on a petition from OnStar that asked the commission to declare that its
embedded telematics units are not "handsets" according to the FCC's definition, and that
the units aren't included in calculating the wireless licensee’s E911 Phase II handset
activation compliance requirements. Naturally, OnStar argues that "embedded telematics
devices" should not be treated as handsets and shouldn't be subject too the Phase II
requirements. We've posted links to OnStar's petition and the FCC's request on our
Wireless 911 page.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/