Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AAA Michigan Affirms There Are No Benefits to Distracted Driving

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 18:54:05 -0500

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-02-2002/0001850482&EDATE=

-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

AAA Michigan Affirms There Are No Benefits to Distracted Driving

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- AAA Michigan said the public
should not be misled by a national cell-phone economic analysis released today
(December 2) by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis. According to the study,
the value drivers place on in-transit cell-phone use is roughly equal to the
economic costs incurred in crashes caused by cell phone users.
"Plain and simple, improper cell phone use is a significant form of
distracted driving," said Richard J. Miller, manager of Community Safety
Services for AAA Michigan. "There are no known benefits to distracted
driving."
According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, nearly 300,000
distracted drivers are involved in serious crashes annually -- making the
phenomenon one of the most serious public health hazards of the 21st Century.
In fact, driver distractions such as eating or drinking, adjusting the radio
or talking with occupants have been cited as a primary or contributing factor
in as many as half of all crashes.
According to the author of the Harvard study, cell phone owners cite such
benefits as security and peace of mind, increased productivity, privacy and
efficient crime reporting as added values that roughly equaled the $43 billion
price tag for medical bills and loss of life caused by cell phone-related
crashes.
AAA warns that economic costs are only one side of the equation when
comparing risk levels and do not include the lifelong trauma and other
emotional costs associated with loss of life or serious injury.
"We recognize and promote the safety benefits that a cell phone can
provide when used appropriately," said Miller. "However, numerous studies
have demonstrated that even hands-free cell phone use involving emotional or
complex conversations can lead to an unacceptable level of driver
distraction."

AAA CELL PHONE SAFETY TIPS
* Always assess traffic conditions before calling.
* Know your phone's keypad -- use speed dial when possible.
* Place calls when stopped if possible.
* Have a passenger make the call for you.
* Ensure that the phone is within easy reach.
* Avoid intense, emotional or complex conversations.
* Avoid talking on a cell phone in congested traffic or during bad
weather.
* Keep your mind on your driving!

Click here

SOURCE AAA Michigan

Web Site: http://www.aaamich.com

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

More news from PR Newswire...

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.