Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Santa Fe, N.M., Opens First Fully Integrated Regional Emergency Communications Center

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 04:00:48 -0500

Santa Fe, N.M., Opens First Fully Integrated Regional Emergency Communications Center in
State
http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=mot&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=359744

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home - About motorola - Products and Services - Shop

Search

Overview

Board of Directors and Senior Management

Stock Quote

Stock Chart

Financial Reports

Financial History

Stock Trading Statistics

SEC Filings

Recent Press Releases

Archived Press Releases

Presentations

Audio Archives

Brokerage Firm Equity Research Analysts

Consensus Brokerage Research Analyst Pro forma Earnings Estimates

Calendar

Info Request

Dividend History/Stock Splits

Mail Alert

Stock Purchase

Motorola Inc. (ticker: MOT, exchange: New York Stock Exchange) News Release -
26-Nov-2002

Santa Fe, N.M., Opens First Fully Integrated Regional Emergency Communications Center in State

Dispatch Integrates Communications Solutions From Motorola, Inc. and Plant Equipment, Inc.

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Nov. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The city and county of
Santa Fe, N.M., an area covering 2,500 square miles, recently marked the
opening of a new state-of-the-art Regional Emergency Communications Center
(RECC). The $7.5 million dispatch facility features integrated dispatch and
9-1-1 communications solutions from Motorola (NYSE: MOT) and Plant Equipment,
Inc. (PEI). These solutions will significantly enhance public safety
communication capabilities among Santa Fe County Fire, Santa Fe County
Sheriff, and Santa Fe City Police, Fire and Government services. The new
Santa Fe dispatch system is part of Motorola's extensive portfolio of
integrated communications and information solutions designed to address
mission-critical public safety and security requirements worldwide.

The need for a centralized dispatch operation in Santa Fe became apparent
three years ago after a group of students returning home from a ski trip were
killed in a bus accident. City and county fire and police agencies responding
to the situation encountered significant communications problems.

"It was virtually impossible to communicate between agencies at the time
of the bus accident," said Santa Fe County Fire Chief Stan Holden. "While we
had identified specific challenges in the past, the bus accident became the
catalyst for change and brought together all public safety agencies
represented in the area's 14 districts."

The Santa Fe RECC is the first of its kind in New Mexico to use Motorola's
integrated CENTRACOM(TM) Gold Elite radio consoles and Plant's VESTA 9-1-1
technology. Motorola's Gold Elite consoles feature 12 answering positions,
10 of which integrate with Plant's 9-1-1 call-taking and dispatch positions.
The integration initiative also combines the City of Santa Fe's current
Motorola SMARTNET(R) trunking system with the County's current conventional
analog communications system creating a regional network. All area public
safety agencies have an onsite representative present at the RECC 24 hours a
day and all workstations within the network are monitored by Mission Control.
The new system received formal acceptance in August 2002.

"The new dispatch center will dramatically enhance communications
capabilities among Santa Fe public safety agencies," said Motorola Project
Manager Art James. "The cooperation we received from public safety and
government officials at all levels contributed to the success of the project.
Motorola will continue to work closely with the county to ensure the system
maintains its integrity for years to come."

Santa Fe city and county fire and police departments and government
representatives formed a multidisciplinary team to lead network integration
efforts, ultimately evolving into the RECC Governing Board. Chief Holden
currently holds the position of Board Chairman. The Board oversees all RECC
operations.

While the full capabilities of the RECC have not been tested, Chief Holden
stressed it has already dramatically improved daily communications as well as
coverage during special events.

"In September, Santa Fe hosted an annual event called The Fiestas, drawing
upwards of 30,000 people," he said. "The coordination of field and dispatch
communications was excellent throughout the event and would not have been
possible without the new network. I am completely confident that when and if
the day comes that we are required to truly test the new system's full
capabilities, we'll be ready."

About Motorola's Safety and Security Solutions

Motorola is a leading provider of integrated communications and
information solutions with 65 years of experience in meeting the
mission-critical requirements of public safety, public service, government and
enterprise customers worldwide. The company's extensive public safety and
security portfolio includes: interoperable two-way radio communications
solutions with encrypted security capabilities; command and control equipment
and software applications, including computer-aided dispatch, 9-1-1 and 3-1-1
systems and automated records management systems; identification and tracking
solutions, including palm/fingerprint and photo-imaging systems, as well as
comprehensive information management capabilities for criminal justice and
civil needs; and physical security and monitoring solutions, including remote
monitoring and diagnostics.

About Motorola

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in providing integrated
communications and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 2001 were
$30 billion. For more information, visit http://www.motorola.com .

MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are registered in the U.S. Patent and
Trademark Office. All other product or service names are the property of
their respective owners.
SOURCE Motorola, Inc.

CONTACT: Steve Gorecki of Motorola, Inc., +1-847-538-0368, or
[email-masked]

Photo: NewsCom: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020307/MOTLOGO

http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020415/MOTNOTAGLOGO

AP Archive: http://photoarchive.ap.org

PRN Photo Desk, +1-888-776-6555 or +1-212-782-2840/

© Copyright 1994-2001 motorola, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Home | Terms of Use | Privacy Practices | Contact Us