Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] iden Sound Quality

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:00:25 -0500

So you think the sound quality is BAD? You should have been around in 1995 when my boss
walked in a plopped a 2 pound brick (L3000 aka Lingo) on my desk and said " I have a new
project for you".

The audio quality then was HORRIBLE!. The "Lingo" was the 1st generation unit released to
the public. The unit went into chronic "Turkey Talk" when the SQE dipped below 18.

After the1st commercial launch of iDEN Nextel was sued by stock holders for
"Mis-Representing" the Quality of the audio (among other things) on their system .  They
settled the law suit for $27,000,000.00 and continued to go about their "How Business Gets
Done" ways.

With this new Vocoder I can assure you there will be more problems, Nextel knows this and
that is why they are getting ready for the "Dog And Pony" show with Motorola. The new 1/2
rate vocoder is nothing new in the Moto LAB, but new to iDEN. Nextel is now desperate to
combat 3G pressure so they are touting this as a "3G" panacea.

In  reality they had the same capacity previously and are reverting back due to financial
pressure to reduce capital spending. Wall Street now knows this and is asking some tough
questions. So Timmy, Paulee, BB (Bumbling Barry) and the Moto folks are all going to tell
Wall Street how good the new Vocoder sounds in the LAB.

Sure it will sound great in the "LAB" but get it in the field.......well you know what
happens.

So the Saga continues-

"jpw0523 " wrote:

> As a new Nextel user I am disappointed by the sound quality as
> opposed to traditional GSM or TDMA.  I have read that they plan to
> double the capacity of their system next year.  Since they will have
> add more compression, I expect the sound quality to get worse than
> better.  I am wondering how all of you in iden land feel about it.
> The only reason that I signed up for Nextel is that they came and
> wired the basement of the building that I work in.  This is now the
> ONLY wireless communications system that we have that works in the
> basement of our building.
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "jpw0523 <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:11:42 -0000

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:53:19 -0500

> combat 3G pressure so they are touting this as a "3G" panacea.

Like I said  Problems:

The New vocoder has barely left the LAB and there are problems already.

Thomas Weisel Partners on the New vocoder:

 The 6:1 vocoder also worked well though we did not a modest difference in voice quality as
compared to a 3:1 call - slightly more "watery" in sound. It is a reasonable price relative to
the pick up in voice capacity, in our view.

Looks like Timmy needs to get the "Water" out iDEN before it hits the street.