Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sen. Allen comments on auction policy

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 16:27:19 -0500

Sen. Allen comments on auction policy
December 12 13:03:00, 2002

WASHINGTON—The auction policy which saw the mobile-phone industry pay millions of dollars
for radio-frequency
spectrum was wrong, said Sen. George Allen (R. Va.).

Speaking later to reporters Allen backed away from his public remarks noting that auctions
for third-generation wireless
spectrum will be necessary to pay for the relocation of the Defense Department. Allen
still believes however that there
should be no auction for spectrum allocated to wireless broadband or Wi-Fi.

Allen pushed his Wi-Fi bill which he says now no longer contains a provision derided by
the mobile-phone industry to
allocate spectrum in the 700 MHz band to Wi-Fi, at the 20th Annual Telecommunications
Policy and Regulations Seminar
sponsored by the Practising Law Institute and the Federal Communications Bar Association.

http://www.rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=6288

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/