Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sonim to demonstrate Push-To-Talk (PTT) and Direct Message Service.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:56:18 -0500

Sonim to demonstrate Push-To-Talk (PTT) and Direct Message Service.
http://library.northernlight.com/FA20021202470000035.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

Integrated Voice and Text Messaging Over GPRS Showcased Jointly by Sonim, Symbian and Texas Instruments

LONDON, Dec 2, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Innovative Solution Enables Seamless Transition Between Voice and Text

Source:

Business Wire

Date:

12/02/2002 01:02

Price:

Free

Document Size:

Short (1 or 2 pages)

Document ID:

FA20021202470000035

Subject(s):

Architecture; Bandwidth; California; Carrier; CEO; Commercial; Communications; E-Mail; Engineering; Fashion; Hotel; India; Italy; Licenses; Market; Networking; Operating System; Platinum; President; Products; Sales; Standards; Technology; Texas; Web; Wireless

Document Type:

Press releases

Integrated Voice and Text Messaging Over GPRS Showcased Jointly by Sonim, Symbian and Texas Instruments

Story Filed: Monday, December 02, 2002 1:02 AM EST

LONDON, Dec 2, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Innovative Solution Enables Seamless
Transition Between Voice and Text

For Instant Communication

Sonim Technologies Inc. (
www.sonimtech.com), a leading provider of IP-based
Instant Communications solutions for wireless data networks, today announced it
is previewing the combined use of voice and text instant messaging over its
Instant Communication Solution platform at the Symbian Partner Event held
exclusively for Symbian Platinum Partners at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel
Heathrow in Middlesex.

The combination of voice and text instant messaging allows mobile phone users to
switch between voice and text mode to communicate with their friends and
colleagues, offering optimal convenience and flexibility. Sonim will also be
demonstrating its Push-To-Talk (PTT) and Direct Message Service.

Sonim has worked closely with Symbian and Texas Instruments Inc. (TI) to jointly
demonstrate this application at the event. The Sonim Instant Communication
Client is ported to TI's Innovator reference design board using an OMAP 1510
chipset, and is run on Symbian OS v7.0.

The demonstrated application can be quickly deployed to a GPRS handset by
integrating the Sonim-enabled OMAP chipset and Symbian OS.

"Sonim has worked collaboratively with Symbian and TI to make a standards-based,
end-to-end solution for GPRS devices available," said John Burns, president and
CEO of Sonim.

"The applications we are demonstrating today enable high-margin voice and data
services that extend beyond the current text messaging markets, and create
significant return on low deployment costs for wireless operators and device
manufacturers."

The Sonim Instant Communication Solution combines the best of text messaging
with the power of voice, allowing users to view other users' presence
information and instantly connect in "walkie-talkie" mode with one or many
people, or leave voice messages.

With integrated voice and text messaging, not only can a user move easily
between voice and text mode, but they can also communicate in a mixed mode
fashion where one user is communicating using voice while the other user is
communicating using text.

For a mobile operator, this solution leads to reducing signaling overhead on the
data network, which translates to lower operating costs for Sonim enabled
applications.

"The combined use of voice and text messaging as demonstrated by Sonim today
opens a new wireless voice and data services arena," said Gilles Alain, vice
president, partnerships & alliances of Symbian. "Sonim's solution leverages
Symbian OS and provides a powerful enterprise tool allowing instant group
communications both verbally and textually which can be integrated into Symbian
OS GPRS handsets."

The Symbian Partner Events, held twice annually, are exclusively for Symbian
Platinum Partners. The aim is to communicate updates on strategic and core
technology advances of Symbian OS and offer an open forum for networking and
commercial opportunities. These events are available to thought leaders of the
Symbian OS ecosystem including partners, licensees, network operators and
content providers.

Sonim has been a Symbian Platinum Partner since September, 2002.

Sonim's open standards-based architecture is designed from the ground up to
ensure high-availability and to meet the requirements of carrier-grade
deployment. The client/server solution provides SIP-based call control and
presence management, and leverages an extremely efficient transport protocol
based on RTP to deliver superior quality real-time voice over wireless data
networks.

The Sonim Instant Communication Solution supports open specifications for mobile
instant messaging and presence services, enabling interoperability with other
messaging infrastructure.

About Symbian

Symbian develops and licenses Symbian OS, the industry standard operating system
for data-enabled mobile phones. Symbian has licensed Symbian OS to the world's
top handset manufacturers including Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Siemens and Sony
Ericsson. In total, Symbian OS licensees account for more than 80% of worldwide
mobile phone sales.

Symbian's mission is to create a mass market for Symbian OS mobile phones by
enabling Symbian OS licensees to build winning products. Publicly announced
Symbian OS phones include the Sony Ericsson P800 Smartphone, Nokia 7650, 3650
and N-Gage. As of December 2002, there are 20 Symbian OS phones under
development. For more information, visit
www.symbian.com or e-mail
[email-masked].

About Sonim Technologies

Sonim Technologies is a leading provider of IP-based Instant Communications
solutions optimized for GPRS, 3G and 802.11 wireless data networks. Based on
open, global standards, the Sonim platform combines presence and availability
with high-margin messaging services such as Push-To-Talk.

These solutions allow wireless operators to leverage existing investments in
data networks, create new revenue streams and deliver superior "return on
bandwidth." Sonim has headquarters in San Mateo, Calif., with sales and
engineering offices in Italy, the United Kingdom, and India. For more
information, visit the company's Web site at
www.sonimtech.com.

Sonim Technologies Inc.

CONTACT: Bock Communications Inc. for Sonim Technologies Inc.
Kirsten Brundahl or Ricca Silverio, 714/540-1030 ext. 24
or 15
Fax: 714/540-1060
[email-masked] or [email-masked]

(c) 2002 Business Wire. All reproduction, other than for an individual user`s reference, is prohibited without prior written permission.

KEYWORD: CALIFORNIA

UNITED

KINGDOM

INTERNATIONAL

EUROPE

SUBJECT CODE: NETWORKING

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

Copyright © 2002, Business Wire, all rights reserved.

You may now print or save this document.