Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IEEE 802.11G-for Long Distance Connections and Network Efficiency

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:45:20 -0500

One of the major draw backs here is at 54 Mbps the indoor range is only about 65ft.
In order to achieve any great distances outdoors you would need to reduce the speed to 1
Mbps which would yield a distance of approx. 1800 ft.
=====================================================

Buffalo Technology Ships Industry's First Draft Standard IEEE 802.11G
Products; Next Generation Wireless Networking Technology is Ideal
for Long Distance Connections and Network Efficiency
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2002-12-30

AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 30, 2002--Buffalo Technology
(USA), Inc., a global leader in the design, development and manufacturing of
wireless networking solutions for home, SOHO and SMB today announced
they are shipping the industry's first draft standard IEEE802.11g wireless
products - the AirStation G54 Broadband Router Access Point (AP) (model
WBR-G54) and wireless CardBus Adapter (model WLI-CB-G54). Buffalo's
G54 products are available through their exclusive distribution relationship
with Tech Data.

"G54 promises wireless network performance like we've never seen before,
and we are truly excited we can offer our customers the industry's first draft
standard IEEE802.11g technology for their home and small-to-medium office
networks that is backwards compatible with widely installed 802.11b
technology," states Morikazu Sano, vice president of Buffalo Technology.
"Through Tech Data, our resellers will be able to offer SMB customers
feature-rich, high-speed products without having to worry about replacing
existing wireless network equipment."

"Wireless LAN represents one of the fastest-growing segments in
technology today," noted Roy Appelbaum, vice president of networking and
storage technologies for Tech Data. "With the release of Buffalo's 54Mbps
wireless solutions, we can assist resellers in capturing this rapidly emerging
market, and they can now offer their SMB customers the fastest wireless
technology available on the market today."

Based on Broadcom's 54g(TM) chipset, the AirStation router AP contains a
four-port Ethernet switch and incorporates improved security with
Multi-Session VPN Passthrough (IPSec and PPTP) support and
upgradeable firewall features. The AirStation 54Mbps AP will also support
802.1x and WPA with TKIP and AES with a future firmware upgrade.

Backed by a limited two-year warranty, the AirStation G54 Broadband
Router Access Point (WBR-G54) is available at $199 MSRP and Wireless
CardBus adapter (WLI-CB-G54) at $99 MSRP. Resellers interested in
Buffalo's WLAN solutions for their SMB customers should contact Tech
Data's Wireless Solutions VPR by calling 800-237-8931 ext 82045.

About Buffalo Technology (USA), Inc.

Buffalo Technology (USA), Inc., manufactures and provides wireless,
broadband, and LAN networking solutions for the SMB, SOHO, and home
and is one of the largest wireless networking hardware vendors in the world.
Buffalo's strong international industry alliances with companies including
Broadcom, Intel, Texas Instrument, Agere, and Microsoft have allowed
the company to continue to lead the industry in the development of the
latest technologies into practical, easy-to-use tools for business and the
home. Buffalo Technology (USA), Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of
Japan-based MELCO INC.

For additional information on Buffalo's products, contact Buffalo Technology
(USA), Inc. 4030 W. Braker Lane, Suite 350, Austin, TX 78759-5310.
Phone: 800/456-9799. Web site: www.buffalotech.com/wireless.

Melco/Buffalo Trademark statements. Wi-Fi(TM) is a trademark of the Wi-Fi
Alliance, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their
respective owners.

54g(TM) is a trademark of Broadcom Corporation.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35513313&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/