Subject: [NEXTEL-1] [Motorola] Nextel

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:36:55 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Brad Ornes KA0SQO <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Motorola] Nextel (was 928 Mhz Micor)

Ron Butcher wrote:

> Nextel does not seem to be a problem in Central California, it's the
> unlicensed spread spectrum equipment that raises the noise floor.  Also, the
> occasional cordless telephone mess with you, but I suppose my 902 Mhz
> station messes with them, too.
>

Nextel here in Minneapolis, MN has been one of the biggest headaches I have had
to deal with so far. They have a habit of turning on towers in various places
without warning and they wipe out the few existing 800 trunked systems that are
in operation. Locally Nextel has been viewed as organized crime with the motto
"You will get further with a gun and a kind word then just a kind word". Any
wonder the 800 Johnson LTR system is all but extinct? Nextel. They want
bandwidth and will do anything legal or grayline legal to get what they want.
"Lets turn on another tower boys and wipe out these guys then we will offer them
phones and service for a lower cost" they failed to mention the lower cost is
only valid for X number of months and after that the rates jack up to the
standard rape-rates and double billing.

As a veteran of 2-way I have seen many things come and go, some good some bad
but never have I seen a phone company bully their way into a market in the same
manner as Nextel. Countless slanders, RFI the list goes on along with breaking
the laws then lobbying tothe FCC to get the law changed in their favor.

Watch out guys Nextel IS looking at the 902-928 ham bands for primary use. This
piece of information I got from a former Nextel technician and I would consider
it valid.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:25:33 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:

> ...Locally Nextel has been viewed as organized crime...

This seems to jive with earlier reports that N's mgt all graduated 
from the Gambino School of Management.

Just wait until the weasels at the FCC approve the MSS' ATC plan, 
then McCaw will control GlobalStar and cut a deal with Nextel, 
Qualcomm, Mot. The rest of the industry will not know what just hit 
them. They still have no clue. McCaw's put all his marbles on G*.

Nextel/Globalstar could hire Ozzy Osbourne, give him a sleek new 
satphone/iden, with RadioOne/ZIF technology so that it looks normal, 
put him out in the middle of Utah's Red Rocks, and film a commerical 
with the tagline "Can you hear me now, BLEEP, BLEEP!!!". 

They could probably only run the commerical for a long weekend at 
most before VerizonWireless' lawyers are all over it, but the damage 
would be done. The point would be made, and that my friends is how 
BUSINESS IS DONE.