Subject: [mobile-ip] MIPV6 - re Home Agent already protecting HoA (DAD)

From: "Greg O'Shea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:26:06 -0000

If themobile node's recent Binding Update was accepted by the home
agent,
   and the lifetime for that Binding Update has not yet expired, the
   mobile node SHOULD NOT set the Duplicate Address Detection (D) bit in
   the new Binding Update; the home agent will already be defending the
   home address(es) of the mobile node and does not need to perform DAD
   again. [11.7.1]

Surely this is only true during the lifetime of the previous binding;
once the lifetime of the previous binding has expired the HA will stop
defending the address and the MN should start to set the DAD bit again.
This would apply during periods when the MN is having to retransmit a
new home binding. Is it intended that the MN should maintain both the
current and the previous binding lifetimes in these circumstances? If so
then the data structures in 11.1 need to be updated.

---

From: "Ed Remmell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:32:05 -0700

Greg -

Per (accepted) issue #159:
In 11.7.1 (sending bus), delete the text about duplicate address detection.

The D bit was removed from the BU. See:
http://www.piuha.net./~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue159.txt

Thanks.
- Ed Remmell
Elmic Systems, USA
http:/www.elmic.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Greg O'Shea
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 10:26 AM
To: Mobile IPv6 mailling list
Subject: [mobile-ip] MIPV6 - re Home Agent already protecting HoA (DAD)

If themobile node's recent Binding Update was accepted by the home agent,
   and the lifetime for that Binding Update has not yet expired, the
   mobile node SHOULD NOT set the Duplicate Address Detection (D) bit in
   the new Binding Update; the home agent will already be defending the
   home address(es) of the mobile node and does not need to perform DAD
   again. [11.7.1]
Surely this is only true during the lifetime of the previous binding; once
the lifetime of the previous binding has expired the HA will stop defending
the address and the MN should start to set the DAD bit again. This would
apply during periods when the MN is having to retransmit a new home binding.
Is it intended that the MN should maintain both the current and the previous
binding lifetimes in these circumstances? If so then the data structures in
11.1 need to be updated.