Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Knows How To Push Buttons -- Nextel Communications connects subscribers at the push of button.

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:06:54 -0500

Nextel Knows How To Push Buttons -- Nextel Communications [Nasdaq: NXTL] connects
subscribers at the push of a button.

Story Filed: Thursday, December 19, 2002 5:28 PM EST

Dec 19, 2002 (Wireless Data News/PBI Media via COMTEX) -- a button with its Direct Connect
two-way radio feature,
and the carrier is pushing plenty of buttons with its proposal for 800 MHz re-banding to
eliminate interference with public safety
radio operations.

Nextel passed 10 million subscribers this year, 10 years after it and Motorola [NYSE: MOT]
developed the push-to-talk
feature for its integrated digital enhanced network. Nextel says its Direct Connect
feature is used more than 150 times a day.
The company is extending the reach of Direct Connect across its nationwide footprint.

Meanwhile, Nextel's 800 MHz re-banding proposal has directly connected with many in the
commercial and private wireless
industries and in public safety, though not with all in a positive way.

The Private Wireless Coalition balked at Nextel's first proposal, but most members of the
coalition later decided to work with
the carrier and with the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials
International on a second proposal the FCC is
considering (WDN, Aug. 28, 2002).

Nextel's 700 MHz guard band holdings would be re-designated for public safety use under
the proposal, but it does not
require public safety operations to move from the 800 MHz band. Under the proposal, both
private wireless and public safety
operations would remain in the 800 MHz band, although some would be re-tuned to different
frequencies. In addition, private
wireless operations would have the option of voluntarily moving to allocations of greater
bandwidth in 900 MHz spectrum
Nextel would also relinquish.

The Small Business in Telecommunications trade group was part of the Private Wireless
Coalition's initial proposal opposing
Nextel's plan, but refused to sign onto the coalition's joint proposal with Nextel. The
group doesn't agree with the proposal to
grant Nextel 10 MHz of spectrum in the 1900 MHz band even if no private wireless operators
would be forced out of the 800
MHz band.

http://library.northernlight.com/FE20021218940000102.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/