Subject: [NEXTEL-1] STATE OF ALASKA TO ALLOW WIDE-AREA JOINT FEDERAL/NON-FEDERAL INTEROPERABLE VHF ALASKA MOBILE RADIO SYSTEM

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:19:14 -0500

DA 02-3495
Released:  December 20, 2002

WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU SEEKS COMMENT ON REQUESTS FOR WAIVERS BY THE STATE OF
ALASKA TO ALLOW WIDE-AREA JOINT FEDERAL/NON-FEDERAL INTEROPERABLE VHF ALASKA MOBILE RADIO
SYSTEM

Comment Date: January 21, 2003   Reply Comment Date: February 5, 2003

Between September 23 and September 25, 2002, the State of Alaska (“Alaska”) filed three
applications for authorization to construct and operate trunked Public Safety Pool
stations at eighteen locations in Alaska.   The proposed stations constitute the first
phase of a planned wide-area joint Federal/Non-Federal digital, trunked interoperable VHF
land mobile radio communications system to be implemented in five phases over a projected
period of five years.  Alaska states that it has been working with local, state and
Federal government agencies to implement this wide-area public safety communications
system.  Reciprocal licensing authorizations for the partnering Federal government
entities are being requested through the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration.

Our rules permit non-Federal use of Federal frequencies for the purpose of
Federal/non-Federal interoperability, but Alaska also intends to allow non-Federal
licensees to use shared Federal Public Safety spectrum for day-to-day communications and
activities in certain areas.  In addition, Alaska intends to pair Federal frequencies with
non-Federal frequencies, and to operate on a 12.5 kHz bandwidth, while our rules set forth
a 15 kHz bandwidth for VHF Public Safety channels.  Consequently, Alaska requests waivers
of Sections 2.102(c), 90.20(c)(3), and 90.173(c) of the Commission’s Rules.

Alaska argues that waivers are appropriate because the underlying purpose of these rules
would not be served by their application to this case, and would prove unduly burdensome
in meeting and implementing the intended “joint use” trunked radio system by the state,
local and Federal government entities engaged in public safety and Homeland Security
operations.  Alaska believes that the sharing of radio communications infrastructure among
state, local and Federal government agencies within the state will result in greater
inter-agency communications capability and reduce overall costs.  It states that a new
system is needed to meet current shortfalls in interoperable communications and secure
communications, and to replace the current public safety infrastructure in Alaska, which
is twenty-five to thirty years old.  Alaska states that the conditions by which this radio
spectrum use will occur are unique in nature and application, and that grant of a waiver
is in the best interest of the citizens of Alaska.

Interested parties may file comments on Alaska’s Waiver Request on or before January 21,
2003. Parties interested in submitting reply comments must do so on or before February 5,
2003.  All comments should reference Alaska’s Waiver Request, including the DA number of
this Public Notice, and should be filed with the Office of the Secretary, Federal
Communications Commission, 445 12th Street, S.W., TW-325, Washington, D.C. 20554.  A copy
of each filing should be sent to:  (1) Qualex International, Inc., Portals II, 445 12th
Street, S.W., Room CY-B402, Washington, D.C. 20554, (202) 863-2893; (2) Joy Alford,
Federal Communications Commission, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, Public Safety and
Private Wireless Division, Policy and Rules Branch, 445 12th Street, S.W., Room 4-C327,
Washington, D.C. 20554; and (3) Maria Ringold, Federal Communications Commission, Consumer
and Governmental Affairs Bureau, Reference Information Center, 445 12th Street, S.W. Room
CY-B529, Washington, D.C. 20554.

The full text of the Waiver Request, comments and reply comments will be available for
inspection and duplications during regular business hours in the Reference Information
Center (RIC) of the Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau, Federal Communications
Commission, 445 12th Street, S.W., CY-A257, Washington, D.C. 20554.  Copies may also be
purchased from the Commission’s duplicating contractor, Qualex International, Portals II,
445 12th Street, S.W., Room CY-B402, Washington, D.C. 20554, (202) 863-2893, facsimile
(202) 863-2898, or via-e-mail [email-masked]. For further information regarding the
public reference file for this Request, contact Maria Ringold, Chief, Wireless Branch,
RIC, (202) 418-1355.

Unless otherwise provided, requests for waiver of the Commission's Rules are subject to
treatment by the Commission as restricted proceedings for ex parte purposes under Section
1.1208 of the Commission's Rules, 47 C.F.R. § 1.1208.  Because of the policy implications
and potential impact of this proceeding on persons not parties to the waiver request, we
believe it would be in the public interest to treat this case as a permit-but-disclose
proceeding under the ex parte rules, See 47 C.F.R. §§ 1.1200(a), 1.1206.  Therefore,
subsequent to the release of this Public Notice, ex parte presentations that are made with
respect to the issues involved in the subject Waiver Request will be allowed but must be
disclosed in accordance with the requirements of Section 1.1206(b) of the Commission's
Rules, 47 C.F.R. § 1.1206(b).

For further information, contact Ms. Joy Alford, of the Policy and Rules Branch of the
Public Safety and Private Wireless Division of the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau at
(202) 418-0694, TTY (202) 418-7233, or via e-mail to [email-masked].

 By the Chief, Public Safety and Private Wireless Division, Wireless Telecommunications
Bureau.

-FCC-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "wirelessintegrator <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 00:01:56 -0000

Are you sure the state can do this? You might want to read
the body of the FCC's release.

--- In [email-masked], Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:
> Between September 23 and September 25, 2002, the State of Alaska 
("Alaska") filed three
> of Sections 2.102(c), 90.20(c)(3), and 90.173(c) of the 
Commission's Rules.
> in meeting and implementing the intended "joint use" trunked radio 
system by the state,
> Interested parties may file comments on Alaska's Waiver Request on 
or before January 21,
> 2003.  All comments should reference Alaska's Waiver Request, 
including the DA number of
> purchased from the Commission's duplicating contractor, Qualex 
International, Portals II,
> (202) 863-2898, or via-e-mail qualexint@a... For further 
information regarding the
> (202) 418-0694, TTY (202) 418-7233, or via e-mail to jalford@f...
>

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:06:06 -0500

Do What????

The whole title did not fit- Netscape chopped it up.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG