Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Fisherman Reels In Nextel

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:02:47 -0500

Carson's one to remember Area hunter takes down 240-pound,
10-point buck
Source: Advocate - Baton Rouge
Publication date: 2002-12-12
Arrival time: 2002-12-13

Neil Carson said he's missed hunting with his son, now stationed in
California with the U.S. Coast Guard.

"We hunted up there since he was 11 and he sure took his share of deer,"
Carson said, thinking of how much the holidays, hunting and sharing his
son's company went hand-in-hand for so many years.

"He grew up on this stand, and he sure would've liked to have been home to
see this," Carson said.

What "this?"The morning, the day after Thanksgiving, a holiday weekend he
usually shared with Matthew, with frost so thick on the ground that it
crunched under foot, a magnificent prize showed up nearly 200 yards from
the Carsons' stand.

"I had the good luck of getting in with guys who had a lease in Natchitoches
Parish a few years ago, and it's a great place," the 50- year-old Carson said.
"Normally, we take two deer each year ... we're not out there to slaughter,
just to get enough meat for the freezer."Good luck had as much to do with
the morning as knowing the environs around his stand standing tall on a
wide-open pipeline.

A low ground fog, a byproduct of the downright chilly morning, didn't obscure
what showed up about 200 yards from the stand.

"He was big, very big," the Baton Rouge hunter said. "I could see him, but
hardly believed he was that big. We take big deer up there every year, but
this buck was as big as any I've ever seen."It didn't take long to get the
Nikon scope on the buck. Carson got up to 10 points in the antlers before
he stopped counting and measured the shot.

"I use a Model 300 Remington 270 (.270 caliber) and shoot a 130- grain
Winchester bullet. It's a good ammo for the long-distance shots I have to
make up there."The first shot found it's mark - because the buck was
walking away from him, Carson admitted it was a low-percentage shot - and
he needed another to put the animal down.

When he got it to the skinning shed, the ultra-wide 10-point rack was the
adornment of a 240-pound body, the heaviest deer ever taken by the club.

"We didn't score it yet, but I know it's not going to score high (on the Boone
& Crockett Club scoring system). The tines are short, but the main beams
are long. It's still a trophy, and I'm going to have it mounted."The mount will
take a few hunting dollars from the freight-trucking manager, but not as
much as the phone bills to California to continue to tell Matthew about the
big one that didn't get away.

FOR WILDLIFERS: Friday is the deadline for registering for Master Wildlifer
Short Course set for February and March at LSU and in Jackson

Brian Chandler and the LSU Ag Center are offering the course for
landowners, hunters and "others interested in integrating wildlife into their
land management activities." It will include seven three- hour evening
sessions on quail, rabbit and doves management, biology and management
of whitetail deer and wild turkey, managing waterfowl and wetlands and
managing for wildlife diversity.

Registration fee is $80 for singles and $110 for couples with a
single-session fee of $15.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE: Keith Bordelon has loads of tales from his fishing
adventures.

One time when he was using market shrimp, he felt a tapping on his line,
set the hook and came up with a live shrimp. Resuscitation?

Off as that was, it didn't come close to last week's trip to the Hot Water
Canal near Chalmette. (It's called that because it carries hot water from a
generation station.)

"We were catching white trout on the bottom with fresh shrimp (not live) and
fishing in 30 feet of water," the Baton Rouge angler said. "We were dragging
the bait across the bottom and something got on the hook.

"It didn't fight, so I reeled it up. It was a cell phone!" he said.

"I'd really like to know how it got there and would like to know if anyone lost
it and where they lost it."

Bordelon said it's a Motorola Nextel phone and he's contacting Nextel to
find the owner.

"The canal has a lot of current in it and it would be interesting to know how it
got there," he said.

Maybe there were one too many calls on a fishing trip and the other guys in
the boat decided to take the appropriate action for the offending cellphone
owner.

THE RIGOLETS: A late report from the area is that flounder are still showing
up near the banks and sandbars in The Rigolets and Chef Mentaur Pass.

Wind and rain are the only conditions keeping most fishermen away, though
strong north winds are a problem, too.

You need a little northerly wind to get the water moving, and the flounder are
laying with heads into the current. Soft-plastics on jigheads and fresh
shrimp worked on the bottom are producing limits and near limits.
Remember the daily limit is 10.
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35126462&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/