Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Telematics is Not a Question of If, but When

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:37:43 -0500

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021204/42358_1.html
-

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search -

Finance Home -
Yahoo! -
Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Telematics Research Group

Telematics is Not a Question of If, but When
Wednesday December 4, 11:09 am ET

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 4, 2002--According to a recent
study by Telematics Research Group, Telematics is not a question of
if, but when, and what functions will become prevalent. According to
the report, Telematics will enable a host of functions from vehicle
and passenger safety to comfort and convenience features.

"The conventional (and sometimes pessimistic) view on telematics
looks only at the services side of the business where business models
have not been sorted out yet. What many do not realize is that
telematics technologies will add core functionality necessary for a
variety of emerging automotive systems capabilities," says Phil
Magney, principal analyst with Telematics Research Group.

"Telematics-based, wireless access to and from a vehicle benefits
manufacturers through cost and time savings, and it can supply data
that will aid in the development process of vehicles," adds Magney.
Telematics use will increase by future government and ITS actions that
require telematics technologies for emergency services, traffic
management, or are used for compliance, registration, or toll road
use.

Telematics is also necessary to support the growing number of
user-selectable input buttons and switches within the vehicle. And as
cars become more complex they will increasingly rely on driver
information systems that will become the user interface to both
on-board and off-board information, according to TRG.

"The increasing use of embedded controllers becomes a catalyst for
telematics," says Egil Juliussen, Ph.D., chief technology analyst with
Telematics Research Group. "This means a variety of onboard and
off-board diagnostics, including downloadable diagnostics and
diagnostics updates will flow via wireless technologies between autos
and service organizations."

The next table shows the automotive systems that are using or will
be using one or more of the telematics technologies in the next
decade. Telematics technologies are defined as those that support
two-way communications of voice/data, location technology and an
interface to one of the vehicle's electronic buses.

The Uses For Telematics Technology
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Automotive Systems Function/Application Telematics Requirements
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Safety & Security -- Automatic crash -- Requires
Systems notification embedded telematics
-- Remote and 2-way
diagnostics/function communication
-- Vehicle tracking
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Integration of Cellular -- Hands-free -- Requires hands-
Services telephony free interface
-- Content, -- Integration
information exchange w/audio electronics
-- E-mail &
messaging
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Embedded Electronics -- Control of -- Diagnostics to &
Controllers engine, power-train, from vehicle
chassis, body -- Software
systems upgrades via
-- Remote wireless
diagnostics
----------------------------------------------------------------------
X-by-Wire Systems -- Electronics -- Diagnostics data
control of throttle, I/O
brake, steering & -- Driver
suspension information systems
-- Functional
integration
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Intelligent Vehicle -- Advanced sensors -- Diagnostics data
Systems & computers I/O
-- Active safety -- Roadside-auto
systems communication
-- Driver assist -- Auto-to-auto
systems communication
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Intelligent -- Real-time traffic -- 2-way
Transportation Systems information communication for
(ITS) -- Traffic traffic management
management & safety
-- Roadway -- Location
communications information
infrastructure
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Human Machine Interface -- Speech I/O & -- User interface
(HMI) multifunction for telematics,
switches/buttons phone, content &
-- Driver vehicle
information systems
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The above data and findings are published in TRG's latest report,
Technologies for Telematics Systems: Trends, Outlook, and
Opportunities. Available now, the report is an examination of key
telematics subsystems such as telematics control unit, I/O interfaces,
speech, navigation, wireless communications, network bus and more.

Telematics Research Group tracks, analyzes, and forecasts the
market for automotive telematics. For more information go to
www.telematicsresearch.com, or contact Phil Magney at (952) 935-0400.

Contact:

Telematics Research Group, Minneapolis
Phil Magney, 952/935-0400

Source:
Telematics Research Group
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Interest rates won't stay this low forever. Yahoo! Mortgage Center

·

Planning to Sell Your Home? Compare REALTORS® and View Homes!

·

$8.95 Domain Name Registrations & $7.75 Transfers at GoDaddy.com

·

Web hosting. Best quality, 24/7 toll free support. Lowest prices.

·

Paying too much for car insurance? Find out

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

·

Smart $39.99/Mo. Unlimited Nationwide Calling. www.vonage.com

·

Get 25 free trades from Ameritrade. Go!

·

Credit Card offers @ eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

Join Gevalia Kaffe today & Get a Great Gift!

Top Stories

·

Techs Slip; Blue Chips Little Changed - Reuters (4:31 pm)

·

United Loan Guarantee Denial Not Final - Reuters (7:14 pm)

·

Service Sector Growth, Productivity Surge - Reuters (4:37 pm)

·

After the Bell: UAL Falls, IBM Gains - Reuters (6:40 pm)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright ©
2002 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy
-
Terms of Service
Copyright
©
2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.