Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Old info on cellular intercept

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 13:45:02 -0500

------ Original Message --------
From: "Steve Uhrig" <[email-masked]>
Subject:Old info on cellular intercept

List member Andre Holmes shared this info with me which I thought 
others might enjoy:

http://www.techtv.com/cybercrime/privacy/story/0,23008,8201,00.html

Click on the items on the right for short movies by the Secret 
Service on cellular intercept, cloning, pager intercept and related 
technologies.

The information is many years old and no longer valid, but is 
interesting watching. And interesting seeing the relatively naive 
Secret Service agent hamming it up for the cameras.

Because they are MPEG movies, it's probably not practical to try to 
view the things on a dialup line. A broadband connection may be 
necessary.

The information in the article on the above page also is very 
outdated. It is not nearly as easy as they claim for information to 
be intercepted off cellular. If you are on digital, as nearly 
everyone is nowadays, you're virtually immune (in the U.S.) from any 
other than a court ordered intercept. CDMA is safer than TDMA, but if 
a court order is happening, nothing will protect you. It is much 
easier to locate a mobile phone than to intercept calls to and from 
it.

Analog is dangerous, but not as bad as you might think.

Off air cellular intercept is virtually extinct, especially for 
digital. Intercepts are done through the service provider, after they 
have been wallpapered legally. 

Thanks to Andre for sharing the above site.

Steve

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/