Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Targets the Industrial Sector with Two New Motorola Handsets That Adhere to Military Standards for Durability

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:16:48 -0500

Riddle Me This?

Why  use Handsets adhere to Military Standards 810
C/D/E for resistance to dust, shock and vibration
when you network can not even meet decade old APCO 16 Standards?

Your Handset is only as good as the Network it is attached to-

Marcel wrote:

> http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021211/112354_1.html
>

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:22:28 -0500

Search -

Finance Home -
Yahoo! -
Help

Welcome,
marcel_rf1
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.

Nextel Targets the Industrial Sector with Two New Motorola Handsets That Adhere to Military Standards for Durability
Wednesday December 11, 12:13 pm ET

RESTON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 11, 2002--Nextel
Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) today unveiled two new phones, the
Motorola i35s and the GPS-enabled Motorola i58sr.

<a href="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=235164.2740307.4115358.1916040/D=fin/P=m1t09pgb11000b00/S=7811759:LREC/A=1323288/R=1/*http://click.atdmt.com/MOM/go/yhxxxdtl00100257mom/direct/01/&time=1039648556277109" target="_blank"><img border="0" src="http://view.atdmt.com/MOM/view/yhxxxdtl00100257mom/direct/01/&time=1039648556277109" /></a>

Both handsets have been designed with a focus on durability in
order to meet the needs of customers in industrial sectors such as
construction and public safety. In addition, both models offer
non-slip rubber grips, and adhere to Military Standards 810 C/D/E for
resistance to dust, shock and vibration, for additional protection in
harsh working environments.

These two new handsets also feature the same invaluable integrated
services available in all phones that run on the Nextel network. These
services include: digital cellular service, Nextel Direct Connect®--
the incredibly powerful long-range walkie-talkie that allows for
communication at the touch of one button; Nextel Online® Web; email;
and text messaging services.

In addition to its rugged design and form, the Motorola i58sr is
Nextel's smallest full-featured Java enabled rugged phone, allowing
Nextel subscribers to take advantage of 100's of available software
downloads accessible at www.nextel.com/idenupdate.

As part of Nextel's ongoing effort to provide customers with
GPS-enabled phones, the i58sr is also outfitted with a GPS internal
antenna, GPS functionality to provide the user's latitude and
longitude information, as well as support for future location based
Java and WAP applications to support features such as compass, speed,
navigation points, and distance.

"The industrial customer segment has long been an important
contributor to the success of Nextel," said Daryl Newman, vice
president, general business, Nextel. "The two latest additions to this
line are designed to better meet Nextel subscriber needs by providing
enhanced features and services without sacrificing the durability
attributes they have come to expect from the Nextel line."

"The Motorola i35s and i58sr are proof that Motorola works
diligently to ensure that there is a handset available to meet the
needs of any consumer," said Peter Aloumanis, vice president and
general manager of U.S. markets division iDEN® Subscriber Group,
Motorola. "Additionally, these two new handsets provide an enhanced
level of durability, making them the ideal communications solution for
the daily challenges of a work environment."

The i58sr also offers users a built-in speakerphone for hands-free
conversations, a 250-entry phonebook, date book, VibraCall® alert
and a SIM card for easy transfer of information between Nextel phones
designed by Motorola.

For individuals requiring a moderately priced, entry-level durable
phone alternative, the i35s offers extended battery life, a 250-entry
phonebook, VibraCall alert and a SIM card for easy transfer of
information between Nextel phones.

The Motorola i35s is available immediately for a promotional price
of $89.99 and model i58sr is expected to be available nationwide in
January 2003 on the Web at www.nextel.com. Prior to January 2003, the
Motorola i58sr is being offered at the promotional price of $179.99
for enterprise customers.

About Nextel

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va.,
is a leading provider of fully integrated wireless communications
services and has built the largest guaranteed all-digital wireless
network in the country covering thousands of communities across the
United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc., currently serve 197
of the top 200 U.S. markets.

Through recent market launches, Nextel and Nextel Partners service
is available today in areas of the U.S. where approximately 240
million people live or work.

About Motorola and iDEN

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT - News) is a global leader in providing
integrated communications and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in
2001 were $30 billion.

iDEN handsets combine the capabilities of a digital wireless phone
with "always on" Internet access, text pager, and two-way radio to
enable users to instantly communicate with one or hundreds of
individuals at the push of a button. For further information on iDEN
handsets, visit www.motorola.com/iden.

Contact:

Nextel Communications, Inc., Reston
Media:
Richard Pesce, 703/433-4927
or
Investors:
Paul Blalock, 703/433-4300

Source:
Nextel Communications, Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert
ADVERTISEMENT

Special Offers

·

Join Gevalia Kaffe today & Get a Great Gift!

·

Planning to Sell or Buy a Home? Compare REALTORS® and View Homes!

·

CyberTrader unveils lower commissions.

·

Find a Credit Card NOW! eCreditCards.com (U.S. Only)

·

$7.77 Web Hosting + 2 Months FREE!

·

AT&T Wireless. Get a FREE Nokia 3360 and plans from $19.99!!

·

Interest rates won't stay this low forever. Yahoo! Mortgage Center

·

Get 25 free trades from Ameritrade. Go!

·

Paying too much for insurance? Find out

·

$8.95 Domain Name Registrations & $7.75 Transfers at GoDaddy.com

Related
Quote

NXTL

11.85

-0.32

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Nextel and Motorola to Host iDEN Technology Update - Business Wire (Tue Dec 10)

·

Stock Rating Reiterations Closing Update: NOK TPC NXTL - Dow Jones Business News (Tue Dec 10)

·

[external] Equities fall; Lucent, Nortel hardest hit - at CBS MarketWatch (Mon Dec 9)

·

[external] MARKET MOVERS: UAL Shares Pare Losses - at BusinessWeek Online (Mon Dec 9)

More...

·

By
industry:
Aerospace/defense, Computers, Internet, Networking, Publishing, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Stocks Eke Out Gain as Oracle Lifts Techs - Reuters (4:29 pm)

·

P&G Raises Second-Quarter Profit Outlook - Reuters (5:46 pm)

·

USDA: Pilgrim's Pride Knew of Listeria - Reuters (5:19 pm)

·

US Air, Pilots Reach Deal on Cost Cuts - Reuters (4:45 pm)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Finance Spotlight

·

MarketTracker
Live streaming quotes for $9.95/mo

·

Credit Reports
Find out your credit score instantly

Copyright ©
2002 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy
-
Terms of Service
Copyright
©
2002 Business Wire. All rights reserved. All
the news releases provided by Business Wire are copyrighted.
Any forms of
copying other than an individual user's personal reference
without express
written permission is prohibited. Further distribution
of these materials
by posting, archiving in a public web site or database,
or redistribution
in a computer network is strictly forbidden.