Subject: [NEXTEL-1] iDEN- FIELD TEST SOFTWARE USER'S MANUAL

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:42:45 -0500

iDEN- FIELD  TEST  SOFTWARE USER'S MANUAL

Version 1.0

INTRODUCTION

The iDEN Field Test Application software is a Motorola development software written for Macintosh computers
using the Apple System 7 operating system.  When it is connected to an iDEN test mobile (a subscriber radio with
special software). the application communicates with the radio to enable execution of the functions described
within this manual.

The iDEN Field Test Application software has a hidden timer that disables the software after a certain period of
time.  If you open the  iDEN Field Test program and if this message appears on the screen "Program Has Timed
Out", the program has time expired.  Contact your iDEN Business Manager for an updated program.

Although a GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver is not required to operate the program, it is recommended.
The GPS receiver provides accurate time and position data to the log file, which is helpful when reviewing the
collected data.

In this document, there is a short tutorial about RALP, a protocol that controls the radio.  The first thought
of the uninitiated and casual user, is that RALP appears to be nothing more than engineer-speak, techno-babble.
However, the RALP tutorial will be the equivalent of an "iDEN Rossetta Stone" and the operator of this program
will consult with this section as the Final Reference of any questions you might have pertaining to radio
operations.

 Because of the expansion of the iDEN system, this program can be
  a powerful application for any Network Carrier to evaluate
 their system's strength and weakness.

 This computer program was originally written for Motorola engineers.
 Every attempt was made to ease the operation of this program, through the
           use of this manual, employing simple common English, that anyone can
          understand and use to it's fullest potential.

The purpose of the Field Test software is to provide the engineer or technician with a reference tool for
uncovering inconsistencies in the Network System configuration and coverage interference.  It was not designed
for root cause analysis of subtle changes to the system.

As with any tool, if it is employed properly, it can be a revealing , enlightening, and a powerful view of the
radio airwaves, in your region.  This software application will allow you to view the perimeter of the broadcast
range of a single antenna, group of antennas, and even your entire network.  It will allow you to monitor any
specific channel, within the broadcast spectrum.  It will show you the signal strength and C/(I+N) quality of
any channel in your reception area, and It will also display technical information about the Network System and
radio/cell statistics.

PARTS LIST

QTY MANUFACTURER PART/MODEL # COMMENTS
1 Apple Computers See Below Macintosh PowerBook with at least 6 megabytes of memory.
   The computer must also be equipped with a modem and
   printer port.
1 N/A N/A GPS Interconnect cable to PowerBook (Field Fabricated).
   Refer to appendix for additional information.
1 Motorola PVT-6-EVAL-1 GPS Evaluation Kit (Optional).
           OR GPS Receiver with antenna and cables.
    VPEVAL0002 Contact Kary King at (708)714-7328;Fax (708)714-7325
1 Motorola N/A Test Mobile
1 PTS MOT-MNI- Test Mobile Cable for laptop connection.  Can be field fabricated
  PTS-002-1 or purchased.  Larry Weinberg (503)474-5095 or refer to
   appendix.
1 Motorola N/A Test Portable
1 Motorola NKN 6483A Data Link Cable; Test Portable to Computer cable.
1 Motorola  N/A Field Test Software.

COMPUTER APPROVAL LIST

MACINTOSH MODEL COMMENTS

PowerBook 150 Not Acceptable
PowerBook 160 Acceptable
PowerBook 165 Acceptable
PowerBook 170 Acceptable
PowerBook 180 Acceptable
PowerBook Duo 250 Requires mini-dock
PowerBook Duo 270 Requires mini-dock
PowerBook Duo 280 Requires mini-dock
PowerBook 500 Series Not Acceptable

An Introduction to RALP

The iDEN radio uses an external interface called a RALP (Radio Applications Layer Protocol).  It is an
application protocol that controls the radio via simple primitives and collects the responses from the radio.

RALP works via either an Async Serial Connector or an SB 9600 serial bus.

An application using RALP sends a brief command to the radio to activate or deactivate any of the supported
features.  Some features, like Channel Monitoring, will cause the radio to send a RALP message to the computer
application every time a Channel Monitoring event occurs.

The RALP messages go to and come from the Network Management Task (NMAS)        within the radio.

RALP is present, in some form, in all versions of iDEN Radio Subscriber Unit Software.  However, some of the
more powerful features such as signal monitoring and channel quality reports are only available in Base Monitor
Radios (BMRs) and Subscriber Units with Test Software (Test Mobiles and Test Portables).

Features

RALP allows an application to generate and terminate calls.  These features are very useful for regression
testing and load testing.  They allow the application to repeatedly test different call scenarios.

• INTERCONNECT (Start, Answer, Reject, and End)
• GROUP CALLS (Change Talk Groups, Start Group Call, Key Up, De Key, Stop)
• PRIVATE CALLS (Start, Key Up, De Key, End)
• CALL ALERTS (Start, Clear, Stop)

Logical Channel Monitoring

The Logical Channel Monitoring capability built into RALP permits an application to monitor the over the air
interface to the radio.  All messages sent or received from the radio can be displayed.

RALP allows an application to modify the RAP filters.  The RAP filters modify which RAP messages the DSP will
forward to the host.

Channel Monitor requests activate and deactivate monitoring of all the signaling channels.

• BCCH (Broadcast Control Channel RAP)
• CCCH (Common Control Channel RAP)
• RACH (Random Access Control Channel RAP)
• DCCH (Dedicated Control Channel RAP)
• ACCH (Associated Control Channel RAP)

Diagnostics

RALP provides the capabilities of performing several diagnostic self tests.  These diagnostics, test the
following transmitter and audio capabilities of the radio:

• Request a Software Version report from the radio.
• Request a Statistics Report for Connections, RAP and ACP related information.
• Adjust speaker volume

Perform various factory tests:

•    Reference Oscillator Check
   •    BER Check (On 3 different frequencies)
 •    TX Power & Adjust Frequency Splatter Check (On three different frequencies)
 •    Audio Loop Back Tests (Testing 3 frequencies)

RALP Features: Channel Quality (Report and Monitoring)

• To place the radio in the Single Cell Mode (cell reselection disabled; stop neighbor cell monitoring).
• Measure the cell once every 90 milli-second, or average the measurements.
• Observing messages when the radio events like hand-over and reselection occurs.
• SQE requests; The radio returns an averaged channel quality SQE value of the server and all the neighbors.
• Server Description; Radio reports server carrier number and color code.
• System Info; Radio reports information elements from the last received BCCH system information type 0 and 1.
• Power Control; Set output to a given level.
• Cell Selection; Request that the radio begin the Cell Selection Process.
• Carrier Quality; Monitor a given carrier's channel quality.

The Interface

The interface (the signal) between the radio and the Macintosh computer consists of 3 independent layers.

• The Physical Layer
• The Data Link Layer
• The Application Layer

The Physical Layer is concerned with the electrical voltage levels and signals required to send information back
and forth between the radio and computer.

The Data Link Layer deals with the transfer of "frames" of information between the radio and the computer.

The Application Layer deals with the coded message transfers between the computer and the radio.  It encompasses
all higher level interface between the computer and radio.

Application Layer Message Structure

The Application Layer communication exchanged between the radio and the computer consists of request and
response messages.  Requests flow from the computer to the radio, and responses flow from the radio to the
computer.

The majority of requests, that are sent to the radio,  are usually accompanied by a single response message
that is sent back to the computer.  Sometimes, there are some requests, that require the radio, to send multiple
responses back to the computer, over a period of time.

THE TEST SETUP

Field Test Software Application

The Field Test Macintosh application uses the RALP interface to perform the following functions:

• It can monitor logical channel information sent between the radio and the Fixed Network Equipment (FNE).
• In the Normal Mode, it monitors signal strength of the serving cell and neighbor cells and displays the
results in a continuous moving bar graph form.
• The application can read the system information from serving cell's  BCCH parameter.
• It can also read Layer 2; statistical information stored in the radio.
• It will allow the option of a GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver to keep track of the radio's location
while mapping signal strength.
• The application can send the radio into the Single Cell Mode for controlled testing.

Equipment List

• An Apple Macintosh PowerBook laptop computer.
• A Macintosh Data Link Cable.
• A Motorola MIRS/iDEN Portable or Mobile Digital Communicator Radio.
• GPS Interconnect Cable
• GPS Evaluation Kit
• Test Application Software

The PowerBook laptop computer required is very specific. Please see the Computer Approval List.

The Macintosh Data Link Cable is specifically produced by Motorola.  Please see the Parts List.

The Motorola MIRS/iDEN Portable/Mobile Digital Communicator must have specialized Test Software programmed into
the radio and it must be registered on the network.

The GPS Interconnect Cable is a connection between the computer and the GPS receiver.  It has to be field
fabricated, and the schematic and additional information is located in the appendix.

The GPS Evaluation Kit, which can be ordered from Motorola, contains everything necessary for GPS location
positioning.  Please see the Parts List.

Loading the Software

• Before you begin to load the software onto the hard drive of the computer, please disable any screen saver
software like Afterdark or Intermission.  There is a possibility that the screen saver programs can "lock-up"
the Field Test application.

• Also, disable any anti-virus software that is loaded onto your computer.  Some anti-virus software will
prevent the Macintosh PowerBook from loading the test software onto the hard drive.

Insert the Field Test Program floppy disk into the PowerBook floppy drive.  The Mac will then put an icon of the
disk on the view screen.   Then, copy the entire contents of the floppy disk, folder and files, onto the hard
drive.

START UP

Computer Connections

Connect the round end of the Macintosh Data Link Cable to the modem port of the Macintosh Laptop computer.  The
connection port is represented by the symbol of a telephone receiver with a line of dots.  With the laptop laid
flat on the table, the arrow on the connector should be facing up (toward the ceiling) when inserting the plug
into the port.

Connect the GPS receiver to the printer port on the PowerBook.  This port is represented with a printer icon.

Test Portable Radio

The wide flat connector, attaches to the bottom of the radio.  With the radio facing you, the fixed hook latches
onto the bottom right-hand corner notch and the thumb latch connects to the bottom left-hand corner notch on the
radio.

An external antenna is recommended for the test radio.  A glass mounted or magnetic mount antenna may be used.
To minimize potential interference to the GPS receiver, keep the GPS antenna and the test portable antenna as
far apart as possible.

GPS Receiver

Place the GPS antenna on the vehicle's roof.  The magnetic mount antenna provided with the GPS evaluation kit
includes a 20 foot long cable and a miniature plug to fit into the GPS receiver.  Because the plug is not
designed for frequent insertion and removal, it is recommended that you cut the antenna cable and insert a
matching (male/female) connector set to allow the disconnection of the antenna cable without the removal of the
miniature plug from the GPS receiver.

Using a Type N female connector on the receiver end will make it easier to utilize the evaluation kit with
installed EBTS antennas.

Power Sources

For extended duration tests, please provide access to the 12V DC cigarette lighter attachment for the PowerBook
and GPS receiver's electrical power. A 12V DC Dual Accessory Adapter may facilitate the connection of both
devices to one 12V DC jack.

POWERING UP

For the GPS to operate, "Appletalk" and "File Sharing" must be disabled on the computer (chooser menu), or the
computer's OS extensions must be turned off.  The computer's OS extensions are turned off by holding the shift
button down during power up until the display reads "extensions off, disables Appletalk!".

Turning  On, Tuning In

The modem port must be set to "EXTERNAL" in order to communicate with the test portable.  This can be checked or
set by opening the PowerBook control panel entitled "PowerBook".

If the Field Test software has not been loaded on the PowerBook please refer to the "Loading the Software"
section in the manual.

The correct time and date must be set on the PowerBook before starting the Field Test program.  This will speed
up GPS satellite acquisition.  Refer to the "Read me" notes in the Field Test program for additional
information.

Turn on the GPS.  When the GPS first powers up, it may take as long as 20 minutes for the GPS receiver to
acquire sufficient satellites to display the position data.  This process may be expedited by using the GPS
dialog in order to provide the receiver with the computer's current time and city location.  Refer to the user's
guide, supplied with the GPS Evaluation Kit for additional information.

Starting the Program

To start the Field Test program, either double click the Field Test alias icon on the desktop or in the Apple
menu (the Apple icon in the corner); locate the arrow over the Apple icon.  Then click and hold the mouse button
down; scroll down on the menu until you highlight the Field Test alias.  Release the mouse button and the
program will start.

THE FIELD TEST PROGRAM

The Main Screen

When the program is initially started, three windows will open up.

• The Field Test Program Status window.
• The GPS ( Ground Position Satellite ) window.
• The Log window.

In the Field Test Program Status window, if the radio is up and running and the Data Link cable is connected to
it, you will see a happy face, which indicates a good link between the radio, computer and the network.  If you
see a tombstone, that means the radio is not turned on, it is not connected to the computer (via the Data Link
cable), or the radio is not connected to the network.  In the window title bar, the words "Test Mobile" will be
followed by the software version of the radio (v.xx.xx.xx).

If the test link indicates "UP", but the log file indicates the application program is unable to communicate
with the test radio, verify the following:

• The Data Link cable is connected to the external modem port; not the printer port.
• The PowerBook control panel is set for external modem.
• The Test Radio is powered up with the Data Link cable securely attached.
• The Test Radio being used has the TM code programmed in it.

The GPS window will function only if a Global Positioning System receiver is connected to the computer.  If a
GPS receiver is not connected to the computer, the window will have the  message, " Position Not Available".

The number of satellites visible to the receiver is provided by the almanac data downloaded from the satellites,
except upon powering up a newly installed receiver.  With a new receiver, the number of satellites visible is a
default almanac and is not initially actual information.

The number of satellites tracked indicates how many satellites are being tracked by the GPS receiver.  For a
three dimensional fix (latitude, longitude, elevation), four satellites must be tracked.

    If the GPS does not acquire satellite tracking within several minutes, refer to the     "Read me" file in
the Field Test software for the proper computer setup per city.

     Duo Dock users need to set up the time under their Control Panel settings.                     Macintosh
160-180 users need to set up the time in the Map File within
  the Control Panel.

The Log window will constantly monitor the activity ( the transmitting and receiving data )between the radio and
the network.  You will have the option of saving or deleting the raw activity data.

For example, if the data in the log window is not pertinent, you can activate the log window by clicking on the
log window and delete the log data by bringing up the file menu and select "Discard".  This clears the old
buffer data and restarts the buffer in order to load new data.

Periodically, save the log files.  Some experience is necessary to determine how often the file should be saved.

Application Menu Descriptions

Along the top of the screen is a colorful Apple icon with a set of commands that allow you access to some
powerful features within the program (figure 1).

Right next to the apple icon (on the top of the screen) are the commands:

• File
• Edit
• Settings
• Procedures
• Keynotes

Access to the Commands

Inside the pull down window of the File command, it will allow you to (depending on which window is open) save
or delete the data, and exit the entire program.  Please note, the selected command will operate on the contents
of the selected, or foreground, window.

The Edit command is only active in certain windows of this program.  It allows you to cut, copy, paste or clear
specific data and text that is to be edited.

The Settings command allow the operator to modify and control the configuration and parameters of the program.
These sub-programs then tell the computer what information to log, what channels to monitor, the amount of data
per second that the computer will be able to process, what to display, and allow the user to calibrate the radio
signal.

In the Procedures command window, this is the most useful.  It contains sub-programs that allow you to examine
cell strength in relationship to the radio's location,  and system information.

The Keynote feature allows the user to place a user defined note or message in the log to mark something
special, a discrepancy, or an anomaly.

SETTINGS

Settings allow you to adjust and contour the desired parameters of the measurements taken by the computer.

Locate the arrow over the Settings command.  Push and hold down the mouse button.  The Settings menu will open
(figure 2), which will reveal a list of parameter options:

• Logging
• Field Test Program Config
• Port Bit Rate
• Sector Cell Display
• Calibrate SQE
• Calibrate RSSI

Logging

Open the Logging command.  A window will appear revealing the parameters of what the computer will log and
record.  You have the ability to turn on, or turn off certain types of messages.  Locate the arrow over the
corresponding box of the messages or measurements that you wish to enable or disable and click the mouse
button.  An "X" will appear or disappear.  An "X" in the box will enable the feature, while a blank box means
the computer will not log that particular reading.  The Logging options are:

• GPS Messages
• Field Test Program Unknown Messages
• Field Test Program Raw Measurements (Serving [cell])
• Field Test Program Raw Measurements (Neighbor [cell])
• Field Test Program Control Messages
• Field Test Program Alarm/Status Messages
• Field Test Program Polling Messages

The "Default" settings are recommended.

GPS

With a Ground Position Satellite receiver connected to your computer, information from the receiver can be
recorded on to the log, allowing the user to note the position of radio while it logs messages from the radio
and network.

Field Test Program Unknown Messages

Messages the application program does not know how to interpret are listed here.

Field Test Program Raw Measurements (Serving and Neighbor)

Measurements used for serving and neighbor cell measurements in the Normal Mode, Single Cell Mode, etc.. (see
Procedures Command).

Field Test Program Control Messages

Messages that confirm specific commands or actions.

Field Test Program Alarms/Status Messages

Alarm messages from the Test Radio.

Field Test Program Polling Messages

Messages that the Field Test software sends to the Test Radio.

WARNING:

SELECTION OF FIELD TEST PROGRAM RAW MEASUREMENTS, FIELD TEST PROGRAM POLLING MESSAGES, OR GPS MESSAGES WILL
RESULT IN A LARGE NUMBER OF DATA MESSAGES WHICH WILL QUICKLY FILL THE LOG FILE, CLUTTER THE WINDOW, AND MAY
AFFECT THE OPERATION OF THE APPLICATION.  USE WITH DISCRETION.

Display Info

Displays the Log information in English.

Display Hexadecimal

Displays the hex RALP (Radio Application Layer Protocol).

NOTE:

THE DISPLAY INFO SHOULD ALWAYS BE CHECKED ("X").  DELETING THE CHECK FROM THE DISPLAY HEX IS RECOMMENDED BECAUSE
IT REDUCES THE SIZE OF THE LOG FILES.

Field Test Program Config

This window allows you to enable or disable the following channels to monitor:

• BCCH (Broadcast Control Channel)
• CCCH  (Common Control Channel)
• RACH  (Random Access Channel)
• DCCH  (Dedicated Control Channel)
• ACCH  (Associated Control Channel)
• RAP (Random Access Procedure) Unitdata Confirm

Port Bit Rate

This allows you to select the flow of information between the PowerBook and the Test Radio.  The setting should
always be set on 19200 bps.

Sector Cell Display

This feature allows the user to see the distance between the Testing Kit (Test Radio, PowerBook, GPS) and the
Serving Cell and also the distance between the Testing Kit and the Neighbor Cells.  It also allows the operator
to view the coordinates (longitude/latitude) and the site name.

The Sector Cell window allows the user to enable or disable this feature.  When disabled, the color code and
frequency in Hex is shown.

A GPS receiver and two database files called "coordFile" and "chanFile" are located in the same folder in the
Mac Field Test application file.  These are required for the "Cell Name and Coordinates" to work.  Refer to the
appendix for a sample of the "chanFile and coordFile".

The "chanFile and coordFile" are interlinked with each other.  The "chanFile" contains the locations and the
"coordFile" contain the coordinates.  Site numbers and sector IDs can be typed into the "chanFile" as part of
the name.  These will then be displayed on the computer screen.

If setup properly, the "Normal Mode" computer screen will display the site/sector name and number, color code
and carrier frequency (in Hex), distance, and coordinates (in the log file).

NOTE:

THE SIZES OF THE "chanFile" and "coordFile" CAN GET VERY LARGE IF ALL iDEN CITIES ARE LOADED INTO THEM.  IT IS
RECOMMENDED TO LOAD ONLY THE DATA FOR THE CITY BEING TESTED.

THE DISPLAY OF THE SITE/SECTOR NAME IS USER DEFINED.  IF THE USER ENTERED DATA IS IN ERROR, THE DISPLAYED DATA
WILL ALSO BE IN ERROR.  NO SITE NAME, DISTANCE, OR COORDINATES (IN THE LOG FILE) WILL BE DISPLAYED ON THE
COMPUTER IF THERE ARE ERRORS  IN THE COMPUTER'S SETUP OR IN THE FILES.

Calibrate SQE...

Do not change these values.  iDEN Development Use Only.

Calibrate RSSI

Do not change these values.  iDEN Development Use Only.

PROCEDURES

Procedures allow you to view, system information and radio signal strength and quality.

Locate the arrow over the Procedures command.  Push and hold the mouse button down.  The Procedures menu will
open (figure 3), which will reveal a list of functions that you can choose from:

• Enter Note
• Normal Mode
• Single Cell Mode
• Monitor Single
• Monitor Many
• System Information
• Statistics
• Access Codeplug
• Send Hex

Enter Note

The first sub-program in the Procedures command window is Enter Note.  With this feature, you can insert a
message in the log, marking a special reading or anomaly in the log.  Opening the Enter Note program will open a
window titled Record Note.

To insert a note into the log,  open the Enter Note program/window and locate the arrow inside the rectangular
box within the window.  The arrow will turn into a vertical line.  Push the mouse button once and a flashing
cursor will begin to blink in the box.  Type your message inside the box (you are limited to 4 lines of text).
After you have completed your message, move the vertical line/arrow onto the OK button of the Record Note window
and push the mouse button once.

The message that you have just written, will appear in the log.

Normal Mode

The Normal Mode measures the signal strength (RSSI) and signal quality (SQE) received by the radio, from the
iDEN antennas in your immediate location.  This mode will signal your radio to begin the standard, normal mode
of operation in which cell reselection and handover are active.

When the radio is turned on and connected to the network, it's position is constantly monitored.  The antenna
with the best signal becomes the principle signal carrier.  This antenna is called the serving cell.  The
serving cell will tell your radio that there are X,Y, and Z antennas in your immediate area and your radio
should look for their signal.  These other antennas are called neighbor cells.

These neighbor cells, are divided into two types;  foreground cells and background cells.

The foreground cell is an server that is within the SQE parameter for handover.

The background cell is the opposite of the foreground cell; it is in the immediate area of the radio but it is
not even close to the SQE parameter for handover.

The second sub-program (from the top) in the Procedures command is the Normal Mode program.  When the Normal
Mode window is opened, you will see the following information:

• Serving cell and neighbor cell information
• Color codes
• Carrier antenna identification
• The RSSI and estimated C/I in a graph form

The serving cell is the one that is listed first, on top.  The signal will be the best, as indicated by the
signal strength meter.  All the neighboring cells are listed below the serving cell in descending signal
strength.

The four letter digits to the left of the serving cell carrier, display the Channel Monitor requests that the
Macintosh has been programmed to monitor.

The neighbor cell will display two types of messages; FG and a number and BG and a number.  The letters FG
represent the foreground cells and BG represent the background cells.  The number next to the FG and BG
represent a sequential order ( a count ) for the number of cellular antennas in your area.  The Normal Mode can
monitor a maximum of 10 neighbor cells in your immediate area at any given time.

Under the CC/Carrier column, the CC represents the Color Code.  The first alpha-numeric digit (left of the "/"
symbol) represents the Color Code that the radio is assigned to.  A Color Code is a method of identifying cells
on the same channel during RF measurements made by the radio and the Enhanced Base Transceiver System (EBTS).
There are 16 color codes (0-9 and A-F).  For example,  Cell 12 and Cell 5 are both using Channel 299; so they
are assigned separate Color Codes in-order for the radio to differentiate which cell the signal is coming from.

The second set of alpha-numeric digits ( right of the "/" symbol) identifies the Carrier servers in your area.

If enabled, the sector/cell, name, and distance appear with GPS operational, and "chanFile" and "coordFile"
properly set-up in the folder.

The RSSI and (dBm) is a numeric and bar graph of the relative signal strength between the cellular servers and
the radio.  RSSI is an acronym for Received Signal Strength Indication.  The numeric measurement is represented
as dBm (dB’s below one milliwatt), and it is displayed in the negative numeral form to left of the bar graph.
Please note, because it is represented as a negative number; the "closer to zero", the stronger the signal.  The
bar graph is a visual representation of the signal strength.  The weakest signal is an empty box and the
strongest is a box that is totally shaded in.

The C/I value is created by the Sync Count, which is a created with valid raw channel quality measurements of
the SQE and RSSI averages.  The measurements are in the decibel (dB) scale, and like the RSSI's bar graph, the
C/I's graph is measured and viewed the same way.

A "Normal Mode" summary message appears in the log window every one (1) second; containing the following
information:

• Time
• Latitude/Longitude
• Normal Mode Summary

Server Cell Information:

• Color Code
• Frequency
• Number of Successful Slots (at a nominal of 28)
• RSSI
• SQE

Neighbor Cell Measurements:

• Foreground Members
• Color Code
• Frequency number of successful slots (normally 7)
• RSSI (for each neighbor cell)
• SQE (for each neighbor cell)

The Single Cell Mode

This mode requests that the radio enter the Single Cell Mode.  In this mode, the radio does not perform cell
reselection, handovers, or reconnections.  The radio will not choose or evaluate a new serving cell and will not
react to any handover messages or events.  The single-cell mode is not the normal operating mode of the radio,
but the radio can still operate normally (group and private calls, call alerts, and telephone interconnect).

The radio can only operate in either the Single Cell Mode or the Normal Mode at any one time.  If the radio is
operating in the single mode, it will remain in this mode until the radio receives an "exit the mode" action
(the operator monitoring the results, chooses another Mode to monitor) or the radio is forced to enter the Cell
Selection procedure, because the radio has "lost" the signal of the cell it was monitoring, due to low signal
strength.   After leaving the single cell mode, the radio will return to the normal mode.

WARNING:

The Single Cell Mode measures neighbor cell SQE values which have a greater variance than the Serving Cell
measurements.  Do not use this mode for coverage testing.

To use the Single Cell Mode, the user must monitor a PCCH (Primary Control Channel).

To begin the Single Cell Mode tests, open the Single Cell Mode by locating the arrow over the Procedures command
and dragging the arrow down to high-light the word Single Cell Mode and release the mouse button.

A window titled, Single Cell Mode, will open.  You will see your Current server, this is the frequency (color)
and server (carrier) that the radio is connected to at this moment.  The color prefix will always be "0x"
('zero' x), followed by the color frequency the network has assigned to your radio.  The carrier will also begin
with the prefix "0x" ('zero' x) followed by the carrier designation (antenna number).

Underneath the words "Current server", is a large 'button' with the word "Select".  This button will allow you
to isolate and  connect to any carrier of your choice within your signal strength area.

To begin your carrier selection, you must first know which carriers and which color codes the network has
assigned to your radio, in relationship to the location of the radio.  If you are unsure of the color and
carrier cells in your radio's cellular range, the Normal Mode contains that information.

To begin a manual carrier hand-over, locate the arrow inside the empty Select/ Color box and push the mouse
button once.  Now a cursor will flash inside the box; type in the color code "0x#".  Now, repeat the procedure
for empty Select/Carrier box and enter the carrier code "0x###" .  Locate the arrow over the Select button and
push the mouse button.  In a few seconds the signal will hand over to the carrier you have selected, and the
Current Server information line will now be the same as the color code and carrier request that you had just
entered.

The interesting feature of this program, is that while you are in the Single (carrier) Mode, you can sample and
measure the signal strength of other carriers in your area.

In the second row of boxes, which will be called the Measure row.  Go to the first box on the left where the
Measure row and Color column intersect.  Position the arrow inside the left box until it becomes a cursor (a
straight line).  Locate the cursor to the furthest point on the left, inside of the box.  Push and hold the
mouse button down, and sweep the cursor to the right, across the box.  Release the mouse button.  The entire
contents of the box should be shaded.  Now, enter the Color code of the signal strength you wish to measure.

Now go the second box on the right and repeat the procedure of sweeping the cursor over the carrier box and type
in the carrier that you wish to measure.

Position the arrow over the Measure button and push the mouse button.  The 'C' and the 'SQE' measurements will
become active and will begin to read the carrier signal strength of the carrier that you wanted to measure.  The
two measurements are C, which is RSSI, and SQE.  Each measurement is displayed in a numerical form and in a bar
graph.

The Samples box allow the user to enter a number that will determine the number of samplings per second the
computer will take of the signal from the site.  There is a minimum  of 1 sample per second to a maximum of 12
samples per second.  The samples are then averaged, which then determines the SQE and the C/I + N signal read
outs.  If the box is left blank, the computer will default to a preset setting.

The Sdevs check off box, stands for Standard Deviations.  The difference between the highest SQE and the lowest
SQE of the number of samplings selected, indicates the range of the Standard Deviations.  To engage or disengage
the Standard Deviations option, locate the arrow over the Sdev box and push the mouse button.  An "X" will
appear or disappear.  If there is an "X" in the box, the Sdev has been turned on, and the opposite holds true if
the box is empty.

To close the single cell window and exit the Single Cell Mode, locate the arrow over the little box in the upper
left hand corner of the window and click the mouse button once.  The window will shrink and close.

Monitor Single Request

This option allows the operator to monitor a carrier's signal strength (coverage testing).  The Monitor Single
request will monitor only one carrier at a time.  Only the PCCH (Primary Control Channel) will be recognized by
this mode.  No call processing or dispatch service is allowed when in this mode.

To begin the Monitor Single tests, open the Monitor Single, by locating the arrow over the Procedures command
and dragging the arrow down to high-light the word Monitor Single and release the mouse button.

The Monitor Single window will appear on the screen.  Within the window there are 2 boxes with 0's and an x.  In
the color box, locate the arrow inside the box and when the arrow turns into a cursor, move the cursor to the
furthest point on the left, while still being in the box.  Push and hold the mouse button down and sweep across
the box, to the right.  The entire box should be shaded.  Now type in the color frequency, "0x#"; the '#' being
the color code digit.

Repeat the same process for the carrier box, as you have done for the color box.  When you type in the carrier
identification, type "0x###"; the '###' is the carrier ID.

Locate the arrow over the "Monitor" button, and click the mouse button once.  In a few seconds a numerical and
bar graph read-out will appear.  The "C" is another term for the RSSI.  The RSSI is the Received Signal Strength
Indication, and the SQE is the Signal Quality Estimate.

The Samples box is set on the default of 28.  This is the sampling rate at which the C (RSSI) and SQE rates are
measured; that is, the computer will take 28 signal strength readings before displaying the result on the
numerical and bar graph.  You can modify the sampling rate clearing the default number and entering your own
number.

To enter your own sampling rate, follow the procedures as in the color or carrier box to clear the existing
number.  Enter the number of samplings that you wish, and then push the Monitor button.  The new sampling rate
will be in effect.

If you reduce or increase the number of samples, from the default of 28, this will result in either more
frequent output data with less averaging or fewer output data with more averaging, respectively.  The
recommended number of  samples is 28.

The Sdevs, is shorthand for Standard Deviations.  Locating the arrow over the Sdevs box and clicking the mouse
button will insert or remove an "X"  from inside the box.  The Standard deviation, if engaged, will put an entry
into the log noting the standard deviation of the sampling rate.  It will take a sample between the highest and
lowest SQE which will determine the range of the Sdev (Standard Deviations).

Monitor Many

This will put the radio into a mode of operation in which cell selection is commanded through the "scanList"
file.  If the frequency is in the "scanList" and the signal is strong enough, the computer will display the RSSI
and SQE readings.

In this Mode, the following items will appear in the Monitor Many window:

• A moving bar graph of the RSSI (dBm) and est C/I (dB) of the server and neighbor cells.
• The Sector Cell display appears as if it were enabled, and the GPS position is available.

The call processing and dispatch functions of the radio is disabled, and the unit will not be registered on the
network.

System Information

When you pull down the System information window, you will see a blank window with a Read button.  Place the
arrow over the Read button and click the mouse button.

To view the System Information, the data is transmitted on the current server's BCCH.  See the appendix for a
sample of the System Information.  The actual data collected will be similar but not exactly the same as the
sample.

You will see, a deluge of technical information about the specifications and system information pertaining to
the network and your radio.  The information requires technical knowledge of the network, and may be beyond the
range of this manual, but a fair amount of the information throughout the System Information data should be
familiar with anyone who has used this manual.

Statistics

Once you have opened the statistics window, you will see a large window with three buttons on top.  When you
initially open the Statistics window, the default sub-system is the Connections.  On the Connections button is a
little triangle.  Locate the arrow over the Connections box; push and hold down the mouse button.  A drop down
menu will appear underneath the box.  Inside this menu, you will see:

• Connections
• RAP
• ACP
• Cell

Connections

There are also two buttons that you can push to see the statistical data; the Read and the Read and Clear
button.  The buttons are self-explanatory.  Locating the arrow over the Read button and clicking the mouse
button will print out a list of items; depending on the topic (Connections, RAP, ACP, Cell).  Clicking the Read
and Clear button will print the list of items and clear the results from the memory and the computer will reset
the statistical count for that topic.

Since the default is on the Connections topic, we will start there.  By clicking the Read button, the computer
will print out the display heading, "Connection related statistics", followed by:

• DSP channel lost  (Digital Signal Processing)
• RR channel lost  (Radio Resources)
• BCCH channel lost  (Broadcast Channel)
• CCCH channel lost  (Common Control Channel)
• DCCH channel lost  (Dedicated Control Channel)
• TCCH channel lost  (Temporary Control Channel)
• TCH channel lost  (Traffic (Voice) Control Channel)

RAP

The next topic in the topic box is RAP, which stands for Random Access Procedure.  The four RAP related
statistics are:

• Transmit RAP messages
• Transmit RAP attempts
• Transmit RAP expired
• Receive RAP messages

ACP

The third topic in the topic box is ACP, which is an acronym for Associated Channel Procedure.  The ACP related
statistics are:

• Associated Tx (Transmitting) protocols
• Associated Rx (Receiving) protocols

Cell

The Cell statistics are relatively straight forward.  When the Cell topic has been chosen and opened via the
read button, the statistics will be displayed in the window, and depending on the size of the window, the
display will scroll to the bottom of the list.  To view the top of the list, line up the mouse arrow on the up
arrow of the scroll bar to the right of the window.  Tap the mouse button.  The list will now scroll up to the
beginning of the list.

NOTE:
TO GET STATISTICS FOR A SINGLE DRIVE TEST, THE DATA MUST BE READ AND CLEARED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FIELD TEST
PROGRAM.  IF NOT CLEARED, DATA FROM THE PREVIOUS FIELD TEST SOFTWARE WILL BE ADDED TO THE NEW STATISTICS.

Access Codeplug

We do not recommend the use of this feature.  Altering the code-plug of the radio might cause serious damage to
the internal operation of the radio to the point that it may no longer work and in a worst case scenario, the
radio might require code-plug reconstruction, which is a factory/lab procedure.
(This option is not available on software version 5.17 or higher)

Send Hex

DO NOT CHANGE THESE VALUES!
This feature is for Motorola iDEN Development Use Only!
(This option is not available on software version 5.17

A FINAL WORD

The operator must monitor the data collection in order to control the size of the log file.  If the log file is
allowed to use all the available disk space, the application will crash and all data will be lost.
If the log file is allowed to grow beyond the size of the standard capacity diskette, the operator will have to
find another way to remove the file for processing.  File size is a function of time and sample size; smaller
sample sizes will result in more frequent output records.

If the GPS receiver loses track of the satellites, output records will contain asterisks in lieu of latitude/
longitude or x/y data.  Momentary loss of satellite data is common when driving under overpasses, between tall
buildings, or in heavy foliage.

The Test Radio will exit the Single Cell Mode if it loses the PCCH (Primary Control Channel).

If the Test Radio loses track of the control channel, output records will stop; which indicates a loss of
signal.  Output records will resume when the radio re-acquires the control channel.

THE FIELD TEST PROGRAM

The Main Screen

When the program is initially started, three windows will open up.

• The Field Test Program Status window.
• The GPS ( Ground Position Satellite ) window.
• The Log window.

In the Field Test Program Status window, if the radio is up and running and the Data Link cable is connected to
it, you will see a happy face, which indicates a good link between the radio, computer and the network.  If you
see a tombstone, that means the radio is not turned on, it is not connected to the computer (via the Data Link
cable), or the radio is not connected to the network.  In the window title bar, the words "Test Mobile" will be
followed by the software version of the radio (v.xx.xx.xx).

If the test link indicates "UP", but the log file indicates the application program is unable to communicate
with the test radio, verify the following:

• The Data Link cable is connected to the external modem port; not the printer port.
• The PowerBook control panel is set for external modem.
• The Test Radio is powered up with the Data Link cable securely attached.
• The Test Radio being used has the TM code programmed in it.

The GPS window will function only if a Global Positioning System receiver is connected to the computer.  If a
GPS receiver is not connected to the computer, the window will have the  message, " Position Not Available".

The number of satellites visible to the receiver is provided by the almanac data downloaded from the satellites,
except upon powering up a newly installed receiver.  With a new receiver, the number of satellites visible is a
default almanac and is not initially actual information.

The number of satellites tracked indicates how many satellites are being tracked by the GPS receiver.  For a
three dimensional fix (latitude, longitude, elevation), four satellites must be tracked.

    If the GPS does not acquire satellite tracking within several minutes, refer to the     "Read me" file in
the Field Test software for the proper computer setup per city.

     Duo Dock users need to set up the time under their Control Panel settings.                     Macintosh
160-180 users need to set up the time in the Map File within
  the Control Panel.

The Log window will constantly monitor the activity ( the transmitting and receiving data )between the radio and
the network.  You will have the option of saving or deleting the raw activity data.

For example, if the data in the log window is not pertinent, you can activate the log window by clicking on the
log window and delete the log data by bringing up the file menu and select "Discard".  This clears the old
buffer data and restarts the buffer in order to load new data.

Periodically, save the log files.  Some experience is necessary to determine how often the file should be saved.

Application Menu Descriptions

Along the top of the screen is a colorful Apple icon with a set of commands that allow you access to some
powerful features within the program (figure 1).

Right next to the apple icon (on the top of the screen) are the commands:

• File
• Edit
• Settings
• Procedures
• Keynotes

Access to the Commands

Inside the pull down window of the File command, it will allow you to (depending on which window is open) save
or delete the data, and exit the entire program.  Please note, the selected command will operate on the contents
of the selected, or foreground, window.

The Edit command is only active in certain windows of this program.  It allows you to cut, copy, paste or clear
specific data and text that is to be edited.

The Settings command allow the operator to modify and control the configuration and parameters of the program.
These sub-programs then tell the computer what information to log, what channels to monitor, the amount of data
per second that the computer will be able to process, what to display, and allow the user to calibrate the radio
signal.

In the Procedures command window, this is the most useful.  It contains sub-programs that allow you to examine
cell strength in relationship to the radio's location,  and system information.

The Keynote feature allows the user to place a user defined note or message in the log to mark something
special, a discrepancy, or an anomaly.

SETTINGS

Settings allow you to adjust and contour the desired parameters of the measurements taken by the computer.

Locate the arrow over the Settings command.  Push and hold down the mouse button.  The Settings menu will open
(figure 2), which will reveal a list of parameter options:

• Logging
• Field Test Program Config
• Port Bit Rate
• Sector Cell Display
• Calibrate SQE
• Calibrate RSSI

Logging

Open the Logging command.  A window will appear revealing the parameters of what the computer will log and
record.  You have the ability to turn on, or turn off certain types of messages.  Locate the arrow over the
corresponding box of the messages or measurements that you wish to enable or disable and click the mouse
button.  An "X" will appear or disappear.  An "X" in the box will enable the feature, while a blank box means
the computer will not log that particular reading.  The Logging options are:

• GPS Messages
• Field Test Program Unknown Messages
• Field Test Program Raw Measurements (Serving [cell])
• Field Test Program Raw Measurements (Neighbor [cell])
• Field Test Program Control Messages
• Field Test Program Alarm/Status Messages
• Field Test Program Polling Messages

The "Default" settings are recommended.

GPS

With a Ground Position Satellite receiver connected to your computer, information from the receiver can be
recorded on to the log, allowing the user to note the position of radio while it logs messages from the radio
and network.

Field Test Program Unknown Messages

Messages the application program does not know how to interpret are listed here.

Field Test Program Raw Measurements (Serving and Neighbor)

Measurements used for serving and neighbor cell measurements in the Normal Mode, Single Cell Mode, etc.. (see
Procedures Command).

Field Test Program Control Messages

Messages that confirm specific commands or actions.

Field Test Program Alarms/Status Messages

Alarm messages from the Test Radio.

Field Test Program Polling Messages

Messages that the Field Test software sends to the Test Radio.

WARNING:

SELECTION OF FIELD TEST PROGRAM RAW MEASUREMENTS, FIELD TEST PROGRAM POLLING MESSAGES, OR GPS MESSAGES WILL
RESULT IN A LARGE NUMBER OF DATA MESSAGES WHICH WILL QUICKLY FILL THE LOG FILE, CLUTTER THE WINDOW, AND MAY
AFFECT THE OPERATION OF THE APPLICATION.  USE WITH DISCRETION.

Display Info

Displays the Log information in English.

Display Hexadecimal

Displays the hex RALP (Radio Application Layer Protocol).

NOTE:

THE DISPLAY INFO SHOULD ALWAYS BE CHECKED ("X").  DELETING THE CHECK FROM THE DISPLAY HEX IS RECOMMENDED BECAUSE
IT REDUCES THE SIZE OF THE LOG FILES.

Field Test Program Config

This window allows you to enable or disable the following channels to monitor:

• BCCH (Broadcast Control Channel)
• CCCH  (Common Control Channel)
• RACH  (Random Access Channel)
• DCCH  (Dedicated Control Channel)
• ACCH  (Associated Control Channel)
• RAP (Random Access Procedure) Unitdata Confirm

Port Bit Rate

This allows you to select the flow of information between the PowerBook and the Test Radio.  The setting should
always be set on 19200 bps.

Sector Cell Display

This feature allows the user to see the distance between the Testing Kit (Test Radio, PowerBook, GPS) and the
Serving Cell and also the distance between the Testing Kit and the Neighbor Cells.  It also allows the operator
to view the coordinates (longitude/latitude) and the site name.

The Sector Cell window allows the user to enable or disable this feature.  When disabled, the color code and
frequency in Hex is shown.

A GPS receiver and two database files called "coordFile" and "chanFile" are located in the same folder in the
Mac Field Test application file.  These are required for the "Cell Name and Coordinates" to work.  Refer to the
appendix for a sample of the "chanFile and coordFile".

The "chanFile and coordFile" are interlinked with each other.  The "chanFile" contains the locations and the
"coordFile" contain the coordinates.  Site numbers and sector IDs can be typed into the "chanFile" as part of
the name.  These will then be displayed on the computer screen.

If setup properly, the "Normal Mode" computer screen will display the site/sector name and number, color code
and carrier frequency (in Hex), distance, and coordinates (in the log file).

NOTE:

THE SIZES OF THE "chanFile" and "coordFile" CAN GET VERY LARGE IF ALL iDEN CITIES ARE LOADED INTO THEM.  IT IS
RECOMMENDED TO LOAD ONLY THE DATA FOR THE CITY BEING TESTED.

THE DISPLAY OF THE SITE/SECTOR NAME IS USER DEFINED.  IF THE USER ENTERED DATA IS IN ERROR, THE DISPLAYED DATA
WILL ALSO BE IN ERROR.  NO SITE NAME, DISTANCE, OR COORDINATES (IN THE LOG FILE) WILL BE DISPLAYED ON THE
COMPUTER IF THERE ARE ERRORS  IN THE COMPUTER'S SETUP OR IN THE FILES.

Calibrate SQE...

Do not change these values.  iDEN Development Use Only.

Calibrate RSSI

Do not change these values.  iDEN Development Use Only.

PROCEDURES

Procedures allow you to view, system information and radio signal strength and quality.

Locate the arrow over the Procedures command.  Push and hold the mouse button down.  The Procedures menu will
open (figure 3), which will reveal a list of functions that you can choose from:

• Enter Note
• Normal Mode
• Single Cell Mode
• Monitor Single
• Monitor Many
• System Information
• Statistics
• Access Codeplug
• Send Hex

Enter Note

The first sub-program in the Procedures command window is Enter Note.  With this feature, you can insert a
message in the log, marking a special reading or anomaly in the log.  Opening the Enter Note program will open a
window titled Record Note.

To insert a note into the log,  open the Enter Note program/window and locate the arrow inside the rectangular
box within the window.  The arrow will turn into a vertical line.  Push the mouse button once and a flashing
cursor will begin to blink in the box.  Type your message inside the box (you are limited to 4 lines of text).
After you have completed your message, move the vertical line/arrow onto the OK button of the Record Note window
and push the mouse button once.

The message that you have just written, will appear in the log.

Normal Mode

The Normal Mode measures the signal strength (RSSI) and signal quality (SQE) received by the radio, from the
iDEN antennas in your immediate location.  This mode will signal your radio to begin the standard, normal mode
of operation in which cell reselection and handover are active.

When the radio is turned on and connected to the network, it's position is constantly monitored.  The antenna
with the best signal becomes the principle signal carrier.  This antenna is called the serving cell.  The
serving cell will tell your radio that there are X,Y, and Z antennas in your immediate area and your radio
should look for their signal.  These other antennas are called neighbor cells.

These neighbor cells, are divided into two types;  foreground cells and background cells.

The foreground cell is an server that is within the SQE parameter for handover.

The background cell is the opposite of the foreground cell; it is in the immediate area of the radio but it is
not even close to the SQE parameter for handover.

The second sub-program (from the top) in the Procedures command is the Normal Mode program.  When the Normal
Mode window is opened, you will see the following information:

• Serving cell and neighbor cell information
• Color codes
• Carrier antenna identification
• The RSSI and estimated C/I in a graph form

The serving cell is the one that is listed first, on top.  The signal will be the best, as indicated by the
signal strength meter.  All the neighboring cells are listed below the serving cell in descending signal
strength.

The four letter digits to the left of the serving cell carrier, display the Channel Monitor requests that the
Macintosh has been programmed to monitor.

The neighbor cell will display two types of messages; FG and a number and BG and a number.  The letters FG
represent the foreground cells and BG represent the background cells.  The number next to the FG and BG
represent a sequential order ( a count ) for the number of cellular antennas in your area.  The Normal Mode can
monitor a maximum of 10 neighbor cells in your immediate area at any given time.

Under the CC/Carrier column, the CC represents the Color Code.  The first alpha-numeric digit (left of the "/"
symbol) represents the Color Code that the radio is assigned to.  A Color Code is a method of identifying cells
on the same channel during RF measurements made by the radio and the Enhanced Base Transceiver System (EBTS).
There are 16 color codes (0-9 and A-F).  For example,  Cell 12 and Cell 5 are both using Channel 299; so they
are assigned separate Color Codes in-order for the radio to differentiate which cell the signal is coming from.

The second set of alpha-numeric digits ( right of the "/" symbol) identifies the Carrier servers in your area.

If enabled, the sector/cell, name, and distance appear with GPS operational, and "chanFile" and "coordFile"
properly set-up in the folder.

The RSSI and (dBm) is a numeric and bar graph of the relative signal strength between the cellular servers and
the radio.  RSSI is an acronym for Received Signal Strength Indication.  The numeric measurement is represented
as dBm (dB’s below one milliwatt), and it is displayed in the negative numeral form to left of the bar graph.
Please note, because it is represented as a negative number; the "closer to zero", the stronger the signal.  The
bar graph is a visual representation of the signal strength.  The weakest signal is an empty box and the
strongest is a box that is totally shaded in.

The C/I value is created by the Sync Count, which is a created with valid raw channel quality measurements of
the SQE and RSSI averages.  The measurements are in the decibel (dB) scale, and like the RSSI's bar graph, the
C/I's graph is measured and viewed the same way.

A "Normal Mode" summary message appears in the log window every one (1) second; containing the following
information:

• Time
• Latitude/Longitude
• Normal Mode Summary

Server Cell Information:

• Color Code
• Frequency
• Number of Successful Slots (at a nominal of 28)
• RSSI
• SQE

Neighbor Cell Measurements:

• Foreground Members
• Color Code
• Frequency number of successful slots (normally 7)
• RSSI (for each neighbor cell)
• SQE (for each neighbor cell)

The Single Cell Mode

This mode requests that the radio enter the Single Cell Mode.  In this mode, the radio does not perform cell
reselection, handovers, or reconnections.  The radio will not choose or evaluate a new serving cell and will not
react to any handover messages or events.  The single-cell mode is not the normal operating mode of the radio,
but the radio can still operate normally (group and private calls, call alerts, and telephone interconnect).

The radio can only operate in either the Single Cell Mode or the Normal Mode at any one time.  If the radio is
operating in the single mode, it will remain in this mode until the radio receives an "exit the mode" action
(the operator monitoring the results, chooses another Mode to monitor) or the radio is forced to enter the Cell
Selection procedure, because the radio has "lost" the signal of the cell it was monitoring, due to low signal
strength.   After leaving the single cell mode, the radio will return to the normal mode.

WARNING:

The Single Cell Mode measures neighbor cell SQE values which have a greater variance than the Serving Cell
measurements.  Do not use this mode for coverage testing.

To use the Single Cell Mode, the user must monitor a PCCH (Primary Control Channel).

To begin the Single Cell Mode tests, open the Single Cell Mode by locating the arrow over the Procedures command
and dragging the arrow down to high-light the word Single Cell Mode and release the mouse button.

A window titled, Single Cell Mode, will open.  You will see your Current server, this is the frequency (color)
and server (carrier) that the radio is connected to at this moment.  The color prefix will always be "0x"
('zero' x), followed by the color frequency the network has assigned to your radio.  The carrier will also begin
with the prefix "0x" ('zero' x) followed by the carrier designation (antenna number).

Underneath the words "Current server", is a large 'button' with the word "Select".  This button will allow you
to isolate and  connect to any carrier of your choice within your signal strength area.

To begin your carrier selection, you must first know which carriers and which color codes the network has
assigned to your radio, in relationship to the location of the radio.  If you are unsure of the color and
carrier cells in your radio's cellular range, the Normal Mode contains that information.

To begin a manual carrier hand-over, locate the arrow inside the empty Select/ Color box and push the mouse
button once.  Now a cursor will flash inside the box; type in the color code "0x#".  Now, repeat the procedure
for empty Select/Carrier box and enter the carrier code "0x###" .  Locate the arrow over the Select button and
push the mouse button.  In a few seconds the signal will hand over to the carrier you have selected, and the
Current Server information line will now be the same as the color code and carrier request that you had just
entered.

The interesting feature of this program, is that while you are in the Single (carrier) Mode, you can sample and
measure the signal strength of other carriers in your area.

In the second row of boxes, which will be called the Measure row.  Go to the first box on the left where the
Measure row and Color column intersect.  Position the arrow inside the left box until it becomes a cursor (a
straight line).  Locate the cursor to the furthest point on the left, inside of the box.  Push and hold the
mouse button down, and sweep the cursor to the right, across the box.  Release the mouse button.  The entire
contents of the box should be shaded.  Now, enter the Color code of the signal strength you wish to measure.

Now go the second box on the right and repeat the procedure of sweeping the cursor over the carrier box and type
in the carrier that you wish to measure.

Position the arrow over the Measure button and push the mouse button.  The 'C' and the 'SQE' measurements will
become active and will begin to read the carrier signal strength of the carrier that you wanted to measure.  The
two measurements are C, which is RSSI, and SQE.  Each measurement is displayed in a numerical form and in a bar
graph.

The Samples box allow the user to enter a number that will determine the number of samplings per second the
computer will take of the signal from the site.  There is a minimum  of 1 sample per second to a maximum of 12
samples per second.  The samples are then averaged, which then determines the SQE and the C/I + N signal read
outs.  If the box is left blank, the computer will default to a preset setting.

The Sdevs check off box, stands for Standard Deviations.  The difference between the highest SQE and the lowest
SQE of the number of samplings selected, indicates the range of the Standard Deviations.  To engage or disengage
the Standard Deviations option, locate the arrow over the Sdev box and push the mouse button.  An "X" will
appear or disappear.  If there is an "X" in the box, the Sdev has been turned on, and the opposite holds true if
the box is empty.

To close the single cell window and exit the Single Cell Mode, locate the arrow over the little box in the upper
left hand corner of the window and click the mouse button once.  The window will shrink and close.

Monitor Single Request

This option allows the operator to monitor a carrier's signal strength (coverage testing).  The Monitor Single
request will monitor only one carrier at a time.  Only the PCCH (Primary Control Channel) will be recognized by
this mode.  No call processing or dispatch service is allowed when in this mode.

To begin the Monitor Single tests, open the Monitor Single, by locating the arrow over the Procedures command
and dragging the arrow down to high-light the word Monitor Single and release the mouse button.

The Monitor Single window will appear on the screen.  Within the window there are 2 boxes with 0's and an x.  In
the color box, locate the arrow inside the box and when the arrow turns into a cursor, move the cursor to the
furthest point on the left, while still being in the box.  Push and hold the mouse button down and sweep across
the box, to the right.  The entire box should be shaded.  Now type in the color frequency, "0x#"; the '#' being
the color code digit.

Repeat the same process for the carrier box, as you have done for the color box.  When you type in the carrier
identification, type "0x###"; the '###' is the carrier ID.

Locate the arrow over the "Monitor" button, and click the mouse button once.  In a few seconds a numerical and
bar graph read-out will appear.  The "C" is another term for the RSSI.  The RSSI is the Received Signal Strength
Indication, and the SQE is the Signal Quality Estimate.

The Samples box is set on the default of 28.  This is the sampling rate at which the C (RSSI) and SQE rates are
measured; that is, the computer will take 28 signal strength readings before displaying the result on the
numerical and bar graph.  You can modify the sampling rate clearing the default number and entering your own
number.

To enter your own sampling rate, follow the procedures as in the color or carrier box to clear the existing
number.  Enter the number of samplings that you wish, and then push the Monitor button.  The new sampling rate
will be in effect.

If you reduce or increase the number of samples, from the default of 28, this will result in either more
frequent output data with less averaging or fewer output data with more averaging, respectively.  The
recommended number of  samples is 28.

The Sdevs, is shorthand for Standard Deviations.  Locating the arrow over the Sdevs box and clicking the mouse
button will insert or remove an "X"  from inside the box.  The Standard deviation, if engaged, will put an entry
into the log noting the standard deviation of the sampling rate.  It will take a sample between the highest and
lowest SQE which will determine the range of the Sdev (Standard Deviations).

Monitor Many

This will put the radio into a mode of operation in which cell selection is commanded through the "scanList"
file.  If the frequency is in the "scanList" and the signal is strong enough, the computer will display the RSSI
and SQE readings.

In this Mode, the following items will appear in the Monitor Many window:

• A moving bar graph of the RSSI (dBm) and est C/I (dB) of the server and neighbor cells.
• The Sector Cell display appears as if it were enabled, and the GPS position is available.

The call processing and dispatch functions of the radio is disabled, and the unit will not be registered on the
network.

System Information

When you pull down the System information window, you will see a blank window with a Read button.  Place the
arrow over the Read button and click the mouse button.

To view the System Information, the data is transmitted on the current server's BCCH.  See the appendix for a
sample of the System Information.  The actual data collected will be similar but not exactly the same as the
sample.

You will see, a deluge of technical information about the specifications and system information pertaining to
the network and your radio.  The information requires technical knowledge of the network, and may be beyond the
range of this manual, but a fair amount of the information throughout the System Information data should be
familiar with anyone who has used this manual.

Statistics

Once you have opened the statistics window, you will see a large window with three buttons on top.  When you
initially open the Statistics window, the default sub-system is the Connections.  On the Connections button is a
little triangle.  Locate the arrow over the Connections box; push and hold down the mouse button.  A drop down
menu will appear underneath the box.  Inside this menu, you will see:

• Connections
• RAP
• ACP
• Cell

Connections

There are also two buttons that you can push to see the statistical data; the Read and the Read and Clear
button.  The buttons are self-explanatory.  Locating the arrow over the Read button and clicking the mouse
button will print out a list of items; depending on the topic (Connections, RAP, ACP, Cell).  Clicking the Read
and Clear button will print the list of items and clear the results from the memory and the computer will reset
the statistical count for that topic.

Since the default is on the Connections topic, we will start there.  By clicking the Read button, the computer
will print out the display heading, "Connection related statistics", followed by:

• DSP channel lost  (Digital Signal Processing)
• RR channel lost  (Radio Resources)
• BCCH channel lost  (Broadcast Channel)
• CCCH channel lost  (Common Control Channel)
• DCCH channel lost  (Dedicated Control Channel)
• TCCH channel lost  (Temporary Control Channel)
• TCH channel lost  (Traffic (Voice) Control Channel)

RAP

The next topic in the topic box is RAP, which stands for Random Access Procedure.  The four RAP related
statistics are:

• Transmit RAP messages
• Transmit RAP attempts
• Transmit RAP expired
• Receive RAP messages

ACP

The third topic in the topic box is ACP, which is an acronym for Associated Channel Procedure.  The ACP related
statistics are:

• Associated Tx (Transmitting) protocols
• Associated Rx (Receiving) protocols

Cell

The Cell statistics are relatively straight forward.  When the Cell topic has been chosen and opened via the
read button, the statistics will be displayed in the window, and depending on the size of the window, the
display will scroll to the bottom of the list.  To view the top of the list, line up the mouse arrow on the up
arrow of the scroll bar to the right of the window.  Tap the mouse button.  The list will now scroll up to the
beginning of the list.

NOTE:
TO GET STATISTICS FOR A SINGLE DRIVE TEST, THE DATA MUST BE READ AND CLEARED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FIELD TEST
PROGRAM.  IF NOT CLEARED, DATA FROM THE PREVIOUS FIELD TEST SOFTWARE WILL BE ADDED TO THE NEW STATISTICS.

Access Codeplug

We do not recommend the use of this feature.  Altering the code-plug of the radio might cause serious damage to
the internal operation of the radio to the point that it may no longer work and in a worst case scenario, the
radio might require code-plug reconstruction, which is a factory/lab procedure.
(This option is not available on software version 5.17 or higher)

Send Hex

DO NOT CHANGE THESE VALUES!
This feature is for Motorola iDEN Development Use Only!
(This option is not available on software version 5.17 or higher)

A FINAL WORD

The operator must monitor the data collection in order to control the size of the log file.  If the log file is
allowed to use all the available disk space, the application will crash and all data will be lost.
If the log file is allowed to grow beyond the size of the standard capacity diskette, the operator will have to
find another way to remove the file for processing.  File size is a function of time and sample size; smaller
sample sizes will result in more frequent output records.

If the GPS receiver loses track of the satellites, output records will contain asterisks in lieu of latitude/
longitude or x/y data.  Momentary loss of satellite data is common when driving under overpasses, between tall
buildings, or in heavy foliage.

The Test Radio will exit the Single Cell Mode if it loses the PCCH (Primary Control Channel).

If the Test Radio loses track of the control channel, output records will stop; which indicates a loss of
signal.  Output records will resume when the radio re-acquires the control channel.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/