Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC initiates Notice of Inquiry on unlicensed operation - Dkt OET 02-380

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:19:30 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 11, 2002

FCC BEGINS INQUIRY REGARDING ADDITIONAL
SPECTRUM FOR UNLICENSED DEVICES

OET Docket No. 02-380

As part of the ongoing effort to promote efficient use of
spectrum, the FCC today asked for public comment on the
possibility of permitting unlicensed transmitters to operate in
additional frequency bands.  Such changes could allow the
development of new and innovative types of unlicensed devices.
This inquiry examines new and creative ways to utilize the
spectrum resource more efficiently by considering new spectral
frontiers for unlicensed use.

In a Notice of Inquiry approved today, the Commission stated that
the current rules for unlicensed transmitters have been a
tremendous success.   A wide variety of devices have been
developed and introduced under those rules for consumer and
business use, including cordless telephones, home security
systems, electronic toys, anti-pilfering and inventory control
systems, and computer wireless local area networks.  The success
of those rules shows that there could be significant benefits to
the economy, businesses and consumers in making additional
spectrum available for unlicensed transmitters.  Unlicensed
transmitters may be operated under the provisions of Part 15 of
the Commission's Rules. Part 15 transmitters generally operate on
frequencies shared with authorized services at relatively low
power, levels and must operate on a non-interference basis.

The Notice seeks comments on whether unlicensed operations should
be permitted in additional frequency bands. Specifically, it seeks
comments on the feasibility of allowing unlicensed devices to
operate in the TV broadcast spectrum and locations and times when
spectrum is not being used.  It also seeks comment on the
feasibility of permitting unlicensed devices to operate in other
bands, such as the 3650-3700 MHz band, at power levels higher than
other unlicensed transmitters with only the minimal technical
requirements necessary to prevent interference to licensed
services.

The Commission noted that there have been significant advances in
technology that may make it feasible to design new types of
unlicensed devices that are able to share spectrum in the TV bands
without causing interference to licensed services operating in
those bands.  Advances in computer technology make it possible to
design equipment that could monitor the spectrum to detect
frequencies already in use and ensure that transmissions only
occur on open frequencies.  The low cost of GPS equipment could
allow a device to determine its location and use information from
a database to determine whether there are any licensed operations
in its vicinity.  Equipment can be designed that is frequency
agile, with the capability of changing frequency as needed to
avoid interference to licensed users.

Action by the Commission December 11, 2002 by Notice of Inquiry
(FCC 02-328). Chairman Powell, Commissioners Abernathy and Copps,
with Commissioner Martin approving in part and dissenting in part,
Commissioner Adelstein not participating and Chairman Powell,
Commissioners Abernathy, Copps and Martin issuing separate
statements.

- FCC -

News Media Contact:
Lisa Gaisford at (202) 418-7280

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-229400A1.doc

Chairman Powell's Statement:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-229400A2.doc

Commissioner Abernathy Statement:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-229400A3.doc

Commissioner Copps Statement:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-229400A4.doc

Commissioner Martin Statement:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-229400A5.doc

Commissioner Adelstein not participating

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/