Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Notorious hacker Kevin Mitnick

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:21:05 -0500

Story Filed: Friday, December 27, 2002 2:40 PM EST

Dec 27, 2002 (Internet.com via COMTEX) -- Notorious hacker Kevin Mitnick, sentenced to
five years in federal prison after
a 3-year manhunt, can resume using the Internet in January. Since being released from
prison in 2000, Mitnick has been
prohibited from using a computer connected to the Internet.

The terms of that probation expire Jan. 20 and according to Dept. of Justice officials.

Mitnick was convicted of causing extensive financial damage when he hacked into the
systems and altered data at University of
Southern California, Novell, Nokia and Motorola. The search for Mitnick became a media
sensation in the mid-1990s. While
on the lam, Mitnick continued to break into corporate computer systems.

In a separate action, Mitnick has also been granted a ham radio license by the Federal
Communications Commission after
extensive legal wrangling. Mitnick, who had been a ham radio operator since he was 13 but
lost his license following his felony
conviction, first applied for a new ham license while in prison.

Since being freed from a Virginia federal prison, Mitnick has been allowed to use a cell
phone and a computer as long as the
devices were not connected to the Internet. He has also written a book about his
experiences and has been making
appearances to boost sales.

By Roy Mark URL: http://www.internet.com

http://library.northernlight.com/FE20021227240000034.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/