Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dog Pound - Dec. 7, 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 16:13:42 -0500

The District of Columbia held a news conference to announce they've awarded a $17 million
contract with Motorola for the "principal components" for a new public safety radio
system. The system is slated for Sept. 2003 completion, and a fact sheet brags that it
will, "correct serious deficiencies in the previous system and will provide the District
of Columbia with the most complete public safety radio coverage in the United States." The
fact sheet notes the system will maintain the District's investment in its existing
Motorola 800 MHz and 460 MHz radio gear, and will provide interoperability among police,
fire and EMS agencies. Oh, the District is using a $45.5 million federal appropriation to
pay for this and other improvements.

--------------------------
Interested in maps for showing property and response route information? Rescue Router has
a laptop application that stores maps and premise information for small and medium-sized
jurisdictions, allowing first-responders to view data and photos of the response location
before they arrive. Surf:s

http://www.RescueRouter.com

--------------------------
Fair Labor Standards Act? Yes, it applies to public safety agencies, too. Fortunately, you
can find lots of resources, including several books from Thompson Publishing Group. Their
"Fair Labor Standards Handbook For States, Local Governments and Schools" covers public
safety agencies, overtime, etc. Browse their collection at:

http://www.thompson.com/

--------------------------
Motorola has hooked up with the Maine State Police to provide CAD, mobile data and
automated fingerprinting applications, covering 4 comm centers and 275 state police
vehicles. The AFIS system will be part of a tri-state (Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire)
system, while the mobile data system will integrate with MSP's existing records management
system.

-------------------------
Mobile data terminals? Fresh off the eBay auction site is this purportedly new Motorola
MW520:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1942798200

-------------------------
We've posted a new record high salary on our Job openings page: $5,712 per month, not
including 16 hours of standard overtime a week for a 24-hour schedule (56 hours per
week)--that would put it near $9,238 a month! (can that be right?) It belongs to the
Contra Costa (Calif.) Regional Fire Communications Center in the San Francisco Bay Area.

-------------------------
And speaking of eBay...this is just sad. There is a radio system listed: "This package
comes from a local police dept. and was all working fine when removed from service for an
upgrade to a newer system." Well, take a look at what they had! Two portables, a base,
some chargers and--brother! The radios are still programmed on 154.815 MHz and 154.725
MHz. What a deal! Please, someone get this unnamed agency in Kentucky a nice radio system.
Surf:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1943091583

-------------------------
Another biggie for CompuDyne’s Tiburon public safety software unit: Ft. Collins and
Larimer County (Colo.) have signed for a $3.2 million contract covering CAD, records and
jail management software. Besides the city and county, the system will allow access by
Berthoud and Estes Park, the Larimer County Sheriff's Department, the Poudre Fire
Authority, the Poudre Valley Ambulance Company and Colorado State University.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/