Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IEC December 2002 Newsletter

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:53:09 -0500

DECEMBER 2002[Image]
[IEC Newsletter]
[IEC Newsletter]
[Image][Image][Image]                                                                                                                                [Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]                                                                                                                                [Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]                                                                                                                                [Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image][White Papers][Image][Upcoming Educational Forums][Image][iForums][Image][Web ProForums][Image][CTP][Image][Publications][Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]                                                                                                                                [Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]                                                                                                                                [Image][Image]
[Image][Presented by International Engineering Consortium][Catalyzing progress in the information-industry and university communities]

                                                        The International Engineering Consortium has
                                                        proudly served the Electronics and Communications
                                                        industries since 1944. Our mission is to catalyze
                                                        industry progress and academic - industry
                                                        cooperation.

                                                         We have seen many challenging years throughout our
                                                        58-year history and this is another of those times.
                                                        Our hope is that you and your organization will
                                                        successfully navigate to the coming era of improved
                                                        business health.

                                                         May the New Year bring improved prosperity and the
                                                        reality of global community and lasting peace.

IEC FELLOW AWARDS
The International Engineering Consortium recently presented its IEC Fellow Awards to the following individuals. The awards were presented during a ceremony at the
IEC's annual Executive ComForum gathering, held this year in Boca Raton, Florida.
 [Mr. Robert Aaron]  Mr. Robert Aaron    [Dr. Irwin Jacobs]    Dr. Irwin Jacobs       [Dr. Hector Ruiz]     Dr. Hector Ruiz
 [Dr. Ralph Cavin]   Dr. Ralph Cavin     [Dr. Herwig Kogelnik] Dr. Herwig Kogelnik    [Dr. Richard Schwartz]Dr. Richard Schwartz
 [Mr. John Chambers] Mr. John Chambers   [Dr. Peter Radley]    Dr. Peter Radley       [Mr. Gerd Tenzer]     Mr. Gerd Tenzer
FREE ON-LINE WHITE PAPERS
Each month the IEC features a white paper on its Web site, highlighting key industry technologies and trends.
Digital Copper for Delivering Converged Services, Donald B. Skipwith, Vice President of Business Development at Symmetricom, and Kishan Shenoi, Chief Scientist at
Symmetricom
Convergence—or the ability to manage multiple applications over a single broadband facility—is a main focus in today's telecom industry. For the multitude of
proposed applications, including multimedia entertainment, on-line gaming, file swapping, video and other services on demand, videoconferencing, distance
learning, and telemedicine, it is essential that high-speed transmission and switching, at Mbps speeds, be made available in an economical manner. In this paper,
excerpted from The Business of Broadband: Access and Applications, discusses copper as a key means for ubiquitous and cost-effective delivery of high-speed
services.
UPCOMING IEC EDUCATIONAL FORUMS
DesignCon 2003
January 27–30, 2003
Santa Clara Convention Center
Santa Clara, California, USA
Practicing design engineers and industry professionals meet to discuss and find practical solutions to the EDA and semiconductor industry's most complex
challenges.
NanoEngingineering TecForum
January 27, 2003
Santa Clara Convention Center
Santa Clara, California, USA
The International Engineering Consortium and the Electrical and Electrical and Computer Engineering Department Heads Association (ECEDHA) are proud to present a
one-day NanoEngineering TecForum. Taking place at DesignCon 2003, this forum will focus on the developments and effects that nanotechnology will have on industry
in the near- and long-term future.
IN–IP World Forum 2003
March 10–13, 2003
Renaissance Orlando Resort
Orlando, Florida, USA
Existing service providers and new entrants share transitioning alternatives and discuss IP–deployment strategies, including the mechanics of service creation,
wireless applications, and emerging services in the next-generation network.
OSS Summit 2003
March 10–13, 2003
Renaissance Orlando Resort
Orlando, Florida, USA
Much on the minds of network managers in today's industry are the challenges posed by migrating existing OSSs to next-generation systems that leverage emerging
technologies. For the service providers, now more than ever, attention must be paid to reducing operational costs while increasing network efficiency and QoS. The
OSS Summit 2003 will investigate what customers want from their services while offering the solutions needed to remain competitive in this ever-changing industry.
THE IEC PRESENTS ITS LATEST iFORUM
This unique on-line destination is ideal for communications professionals who want reliable, authoritative, and noncommercial perspectives on current technology
topics and applications.
The New Era of Operations Systems and Software
Today's challenges to reduce costs, increase revenue, and attract and retain customers can best be met with highly automated flow-through business processes. This
drives the need for OSSs that are integrated and easy to use. Keith Willetts, Chairman and Founder of the TeleManagement Forum, and Matt Izzo, Manager of OSS
Architecture Strategy at Agilent Technologies, present an overview of integrated OSSs. New-generation OSS is introduced, and its key architectural principles
described. The discussion concludes with OSS architecture trends and how Agilent OSS solutions are leading the way in integrated OSSs.
THE IEC ANNOUNCES THE NEWEST ADDITION TO ITS WEB PROFORUM SERIES
The IEC On-Line Education Web site welcomes the addition of a new, high-impact tutorial to the Web ProForum program:
Intel Corporation — Media Servers: The Critical Link in Today's Modular Network
This course will provide you with an introduction to media servers and is a good starting point if you need to build or buy a media server. Upon completing this
course, you will understand the role of a media server, its basic resource and implementation types, and the benefits of using standards-based components in
building a media server.
COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGIES PROGRAM
Study from home, at work, or while traveling with convenient on-line courses.
C104 Basics of Internet Protocol (IP)
In this course, individuals will learn how IP packets are transported over a LAN and a WAN via Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, ATM, frame relay, ADSL, and satellites.
The course also provides the fundamentals of IP telephony, an introduction to IP version 6, and the future of the Internet.
IEC PUBLICATIONS
The IEC has more than 50 industry-leading comprehensive and research reports available.
The Business of Broadband: Access and Applications presents a range of perspectives on the forces driving growth in the broadband and high-speed access sectors.
The problems of digital subscriber line (DSL) and cable Internet providers in selling basic access are well known, and many in the industry believe that it is the
applications that broadband will enable—rather than the mere fact of speedy data—that will push high-speed service out into the marketplace. The Business of
Broadband: Access and Applications focuses on those applications and on the business models that will make them available and make them profitable.
Advanced Messaging: Killer Application or Niche Market? is a valuable snapshot of what carriers and vendors believe today, in current market conditions, about the
revenue potential of value-added messaging services. Carriers are caught in the dual bind of needing to cut capital expenditures and wanting to boost average
revenue per user. In this predicament, deploying advanced messaging services can offer some bottom-line relief. Many of these products—instant messaging, short
text messaging, multimedia messaging, unified messaging and unified communications—already exist in the marketplace, so they are understandable to consumers and
in a sense pre-sold. Advanced Messaging will assist carriers of all types and the vendors that serve them in formulating a survival plan for today and
strategizing for tomorrow.
The Annual Review of Communications, Volume 55 is a must for executives, managers, and educators in all sectors of today's changing telecommunications/information
industry. It brings together into one unique resource the most current thinking and practical experience of industry professionals around the world on a variety
of topics facing the information industry This indispensable resource contains discussions of business, marketing, and regulatory issues; multimedia and IP
communications services; Internet developments and voice-over-packet networks; core and access network technology and applications; computer applications;
wireless communications; and operations and quality control.
                The IEC periodically sends e-mail to constituents and other professionals in the design-engineering and information industry to announce new
 [Visit IEC.org]research reports, upcoming seminars, and events. If you would prefer not to receive further e-mail messages from the IEC, please click here to
                unsubscribe.