Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Internet radio feeds

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:26:20 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "James H. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Internet radio feeds

    Does anyone have experience with, or know of articles dealing with,
radio stations broadcasting streaming audio received via the Internet?  Are
there any technical problems?  What the business/legal arrangements between
the radio station and the program originator?

Jim Johnston

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Juliet <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 18:39:17 -0000

Yaeh, I have several link worth clicking through... in terms of radio 
streaming or online radio- broadcasting.
Some examples:
1. The best list of internationally and countrywise categorised 
online radio streams or broadcasts:  http://www.live-
radio.net/ww_dm.shtml
Every country is accessable with the bookmark tag: e.g. #Mexico

2. RadioStations.net - Superlist of Radio and Television Stations 
Broadcasting on the Internet 

3. Browser specific initial pages and prestored favourites: in terms 
of Realmedia One Player: great and qualitative range of broadcast 
networks, the newest version will even provide more..., while the 
Mediaplayer offers more links directly in the online MSN pages rather 
than in prestored links, ok the file grew in last versions...
 
Are there any technical problems?
Yeah, sure there are:
* browser software restrictions, as some provide the streamed content 
just in Realmedia formats, some only in Media player formats, some 
provide and own interfaces, for some additional component libraries 
have to be installed  

* version differences among browsers: streams stored with version 
specific handles or additional information might not be loadable or 
initializeable...

* missing components gallery items (most times a Mediaplayer specific 
problem)

* sliced streaming methods, where special information parts are 
stored in a special temporary directory while streaming... and the 
application designer decided not to allow choosing nor browsing for a 
directory, but restricted it to a fixed directory, which might be not 
accessable...

* problems occur due to restricted client user profiles (no admin 
profiles), broadband or transmission speed restrictions, broken or 
outdated links (no application error itself, but anyway...:)

*...

In terms of upsetting and installing real media servers or radio song 
lists for download or rotated song list streaming, it is best to have 
a look at the facilitating server or browser producer/vendor itself...
tons of individal manuals are anywhere, what do you want to do ?

:) Juliet

--- In [email-masked], Marcel <marcelrf@b...> wrote:
> From: "James H. Johnston" <jimjohn@e...>

---

From: "Joe Griffin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:01:18 -0500

One of the biggest problems is the RIAA.  The RIAA is the main reson why
most US radio stations pulled thier internet simulcasts.  It all had to
do with advertising revenue and royalties that needed to be paid.

  _____  

From: Marcel [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 10:26 PM
To: [email-masked]

-------- Original Message --------
From: "James H. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Internet radio feeds

    Does anyone have experience with, or know of articles dealing with,
radio stations broadcasting streaming audio received via the Internet?
Are
there any technical problems?  What the business/legal arrangements
between
the radio station and the program originator?

Jim Johnston

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor	

ADVERTISEMENT

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=219695.2777699.4140939.1927555/D=egroupweb/S=1707
367802:HM/A=1370660/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.ameritrade.com/offer.cgi
?adc=fez&page=/>  
 
<http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N879.ameritrade.yahoo/B1054521.22;sz=1x1;a
dc=lir;ord=1040959547540849?> 
 
<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=219695.2777699.4140939.1927555/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1370660/rand=630450103> 	

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:33:45 -0800

I use and like the France based radio & TV links;

http://www.comfm.fr/radio/live/

Lots is US and Canadian stations too.

There's the yahoo version too, but you have to listen to commercials so
I don't use it. 

=======================================================

Joe Griffin wrote:
> 
> One of the biggest problems is the RIAA.  The RIAA is the main reson
> why most US radio stations pulled thier internet simulcasts.  It all
> had to do with advertising revenue and royalties that needed to be
> paid.
> 
> 
>      ------------------------------------------------------------
>      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>      Service.
> 
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>                        ADVERTISEMENT
> 
> 
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:37:11 -0800

You may want to try my favorite; http://www.comfm.fr/radio/live/

World wide link listings including a lot of Canadian and US stations.
=====================================