Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: Spectrum, Universal Service top Adelstein's "to-do" list

From: Alan Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:28:15 -0500

WirelessWeek strikes again.  Notice how "universal access" became
"universal service".  Oops!

Alan Dixon
"The Iconoclast"
[email-masked]

--------- Original Message ----------
From: "Nick Ruark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:30:31 -0800
Subject: Spectrum, Universal Service top Adelstein's "to-do" list

Universal Service 
High On Adelstein's Agenda 

By Mark Rockwell
December 4, 2002
news@2 direct  
   
WASHINGTON

FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein held his position for only a few
hours yesterday before naming universal service and spectrum as two of
his top priorities in his new position.

Adelstein issued a statement late Tuesday, hours after he was finally
sworn in as the fifth FCC commissioner, that looked to set priorities for
his tenure at the agency. 'During my time at the commission, I will work
to ensure that Americans have the best possible communications services
by enhancing competition, promoting universal access to all
communications services and efficiently managing the public spectrum.'

The issue of who will contribute to universal service pools and how much
they will contribute is being teed up at the FCC as a key issue in the
next few weeks. Wireless carriers' contributions to the fund, currently
capped at 15 percent of long distance revenue, are earmarked for change.
Floated as possibilities are an upward tick in the percentage of their
contribution to as much as 25 percent, a change to contributions based on
the number of telephone numbers used by the carriers and basing
contributions on the number of connections counted.

Adelstein also named Barry Ohlstein as interim legal advisor for spectrum
and international issues. Ohlstein is the current chief of the policy
division of the commission's wireless telecommunications bureau. Ohlstein
came to the FCC about two years ago from Winstar Communications.
 
www.wirelessweek.com

---------------
http://www.fcc.gov/initiatives.html

--

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 20:11:41 -0500

I saw that and decided not to compound their dumb mistake by posting their
mis-information. No wonder they went to 2x month.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 21:42:42 -0500

Everyone at Wireless Week must be on vacation they are running last months news too!

Here is a story that ran over a month ago in MRT.

Nov 1, 2002
http://iwce-mrt.com/microsites/magazinearticle.asp?releaseid=10751&magazinearticleid=161815&siteid=29&magazineid=3&instanceid=&pageid=5053&srid=11182

DECEMBER 4, 2002 12:00AM
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=story&articleId=NEi1203001.2tc

Alan- maybe you need to send them some of your pieces at least they would be current.