Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FONE Announces Portable Cellular NSA Type I Encryption

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:37:04 -0500

IFONE Announces Portable Cellular NSA Type I Encryption
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2002-12-18

MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 18, 2002--IFONE, Incorporated, a Florida
Corporation has provided the world's first portable GSM cellular telephone
system that is NSA Type I encrypted.

The system, named the "Minuteman" was developed using a highly capable
SoftSwitch, a Base station subsystem, and antenna subsystem, which can
provide 300 users with cellular service across an area of about eight to ten
miles radius. Approximately 50 users may operate secure with the General
Dynamics NSA security devices mated to the Sectera handsets.

"Our vision that guided development of the Minuteman was to alleviate the
U.S. military forces of the need to fill an entire C-141, plus part of another
with a telephone system and support equipment," said Randy Witt, a retired
Air Force Brigadier General and IFONE co-owner who ran Air Force
communications in Desert Storm. "This system does that and provides the
flexibility and relief from wire stringing which wireless systems offer."

The softswitch software, developed by Telos Technologies of San Jose,
California, allowed drastic reduction of the size of the cellular Mobile
Switching Center (MSC). The MSC is capable of supporting up to 10,000
users with capabilities ranging from voice mail to bailing systems. It provides
full cellular roaming and handoff, can be integrated with the public switch
telephone network and Defense Switched Network.

"Multiple base station subsystems may be connected to a switch to provide
even broader area coverage, allowing coverage to remote security outposts
and communications while in vehicles on supply routes, as we do for the
Army today in Kosovo," IFONE's other co-owner Joe Stewart pointed out.

Jack Mar, President of Telos Technologies which developed the softswitch
software and the capability which allows the NSA encryption to transit the
cellular system knows the IFONE advantage and has stated that this is a
unique capability -- the world's only portable capability of its kind.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=35267747&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/