Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The Nextel Cup

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:33:15 -0500

Posted on Mon, Dec. 30, 200

Wolves' rally edges Bandits
Deckhead goes right here
By STACY RAMSEY
THE SUN HERALD

BILOXI - The Mississippi Sea Wolves have a commanding nine-point lead in the battle for
the Nextel Cup with ECHL rival Jackson.
The Sea Wolves outlasted the Bandits 4-3 before 2,570 at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum on
Sunday night, staying on top of the standings in the ECHL's Southwest Division.
Sea Wolves goaltender Greg Gardner stopped 24 of 27 shots, earning his 50th career win in
his 100th pro game.
"It was a good game tonight," Sea Wolves coach Bob Woods said. "It was one of the better
games of the year... it was playoff
atmosphere."
Sea Wolves captain Steffon Walby picked up a turnover and blasted a shot past goaltender
Adam Hauser with 1:59 remaining in
the first period for a 1-0 lead.
The Bandits rallied with three straight goals in less than two minutes in the second
period. Jackson forward Nick Theriault streaked in on the right and beat Gardner
glove-side for his fifth goal of the season to tie the game at 1.
Alternate captain Bryan Forslund buried his own rebound 16 seconds later to take the lead,
2-1, before Jeff Bes deposited his 12th goal of the year with 2:13 left in the period for
a 3-1 cushion.
The Sea Wolves battled back with 56 seconds remaining in the second period to cut the
Bandits' lead to one. Walby skated in at a sharp angle and put the puck past Hauser for
his second goal of the night and 18th on the year. Dave Paradise had an assist on the
play, extending his point streak to 11 games.
Sea Wolves rookie Mike Scott gave his team their momentum back 36 seconds into the third
period to tie the game at 3. Scotttucked the puck past Hauser for his ninth goal of the
year.
The Sea Wolves got the opening they needed when Jackson defenseman Reagan Rome was called
for hooking. Paradise fired a one-timer past Hauser at 9:56 for the game's decisive goal.
"We were determined that there was no way we were going to lose this game," Woods said.

Up next
Who: Mississippi Sea Wolves vs. Columbus Cottonmouths.
Where: Mississippi Coast Coliseum, Biloxi.
When: 7:35 p.m. Friday.
Radio: WQYZ-FM (92.5).

 http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j55699749

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/