Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Lockheed Martin-built Nimiq 2 Satellite Shipped to Baikonur for Late December Launch

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 04:08:58 -0500

Lockheed Martin-built Nimiq 2 Satellite Shipped to Baikonur for Late December
Launch
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-02-2002/0001850375&EDATE=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Lockheed Martin-built Nimiq 2 Satellite Shipped to Baikonur for Late December Launch

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- The Nimiq 2 telecommunications
satellite, designed and built by Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems
(LMCSS) for Telesat Canada was shipped last week from production facilities in
Sunnyvale, Calif. to Baikonur, Kazakhstan, where it will be readied for a late
December launch aboard a Proton M/Breeze M booster provided by International
Launch Services.
Nimiq 2, a high power Ku-band satellite, will provide direct broadcast
services across Canada from its final orbital location at 91 degrees West
longitude. The spacecraft features 32 active 24 MHz Ku-band transponders with
120 watt power amplifiers, and also has a Ka-band payload. Nimiq 2 is an
A2100AX satellite, manufactured by Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems,
with a minimum service life of 12 years. The satellite's name -- chosen from
36,000 submissions in a national contest in 1998 -- is an Inuit word for any
object or force that unites things or binds them together.
The A2100 geosynchronous spacecraft is designed to meet a wide variety of
telecommunications needs ranging from Ka band/broadband services, fixed
satellite services in a Ku-band payload configuration, to high-power direct
broadcast services using the Ku-band frequency spectrum. The A2100's modular
design features a reduction in parts, simplifying construction, increasing
on-orbit reliability and reducing weight and cost.

About Telesat ( http://www.telesat.ca )
Telesat is the world's most experienced commercial satellite operator.
The company made history in 1972 with the launch of the first domestic
commercial communications satellite in geostationary orbit. Based in Ottawa,
Canada, Telesat now provides telecommunications and broadcast distribution
services throughout the Americas and is a leading consultant, operator and
partner in satellite ventures around the globe. Telesat is a wholly owned
subsidiary of BCE Inc., one of the world's leading telecommunications
companies.

About International Launch Services (ILS)
ILS is a joint venture of Lockheed Martin Corp. in the United States, with
Russian companies Khrunichev State Research and Production Space Center and
RSC Energia. ILS provides launch services on the Proton and the Atlas
vehicles to customers worldwide.

About Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems
Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems markets, designs and builds
geostationary and non-geostationary telecommunications and remote sensing
satellites for customers worldwide. LMCSS is an operating unit of Lockheed
Martin Space Systems Company, one of the core business areas of the Lockheed
Martin Corporation (NYSE: LMT). Lockheed Martin has a 41-year heritage of
building reliable spacecraft for commercial and military customers, having
launched more than 875 spacecraft and clocking nearly 1,500 years of on-orbit
performance experience.

For further information, please contact Steve Tatum of Lockheed Martin,
+1-408-742-7531, pager, +1-888-926-2912, [email-masked]

Click here

SOURCE Lockheed Martin

Web Site: http://www.telesat.ca

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

More news from PR Newswire...

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.