Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FYI-Nextel pursues spectrum swap- from MRT news alert

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:43:46 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: Brandon Coughlin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: FYI-Nextel pursues spectrum swap- from MRT news alert

I smell a Monopoly....  What a bunch of nonsense.  Those people don't give a
rats butt about interference, just as long as their signal gets through
unharmed, they don't care.  It's all $$$ to them.  What a touching story.

Brandon

-----Original Message-----
From: Radio Scanner Discussion Forum [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of HornSmoke
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 5:47 PM
Subject: FYI-Nextel pursues spectrum swap- from MRT news alert

Nextel is at it yet again...their concern for their blatant interference
is almost touching....

Nextel pursues spectrum swap
Nextel Communications Inc. looked to start Christmas early Tuesday with
an offer for a wireless spectrum swap. The No. 5 wireless carrier in the
States indicated it would pay $850 million to upgrade public safety
communications in exchange for bandwidth it says it would use to boost
services.

Nextel officials told federal regulators they would raise backing to
retune equipment of public safety agencies and others on the 800 MHz
band so they could communicate without interference.

The 800 MHz band carries traffic from public safety operators and
private wireless operators. For more than a year, the Reston,
Virginia-based carrier says it has lobbied the FCC to create additional
blocks of spectrum on the 800 MHz band to avoid interference with police
and fire department airwaves.

Critics say the swap plan may solve many public safety interference
problems in the U.S., but the 10 MHz of nationwide spectrum at potential
3G frequencies that Nextel hopes to acquire may be unfair to the rest of
the mobile wireless community.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/