Subject: [NEXTEL-1] What's New @ IEEE in Communications, December 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:19:47 -0500

WHAT'S NEW @ IEEE IN COMMUNICATIONS

VOLUME 3          NUMBER 12         DECEMBER 2002

An HTML version of this newsletter can be viewed on our online
archive at <http://www.ieee.org/products/whats-new/wncomm1202.htm>

CONTENTS:
1. IEEE Communications Magazine Tackles QoS and the Net
2. Took a Licking, Kept on Ticking: An IEEE Spectrum Special Report
3. Report: ISPs Must Prepare for Future Emergencies
4. Free Trial Available for New IEEE Information Technology Collection
5. IEEE Publications in Communications Rank High in Citations Study
6. Optical Fiber Communications Conference Comes to Atlanta
7. Over 10,000 Definitions in Communications Dictionary from Wiley-IEEE
Press
8. IEEE Election Results: Arthur Winston 2003 President-Elect
9. IEEE Member Digital Library Charter Subscribers Receive First Month Free
10. Help for Unemployed IEEE Members

1. IEEE COMMUNICATIONS MAGAZINE TACKLES QoS AND THE NET
The December issue of IEEE Communications Magazine contains a special
feature focusing on IP-oriented quality of service (QoS). In the guest
editorial, the editors explain that new technologies and new standards are
necessary to offer quality of service for the latest multimedia
applications over the Internet. This feature surveys the research and
engineering work currently ongoing in the field of QoS and presents five
carefully selected, peer-reviewed papers:
- "QoS Management in Trunk-and-Branch Switched Ethernet Networks"
- "Quality-of-Service Mechanisms in IP-over-WDM Networks"
- "QoS in Best-Effort Networks"
- "Overview of Constraint-Based Path Selection Algorithms for QoS Routing"
- "A Practical Approach for Providing QoS in the Internet Backbone"
The guest editorial is accessible to all readers at
<http://www.comsoc.org/livepubs/ci1/public/2002/dec/index.html>

IEEE Communications Society members can access all of the articles listed
at the above address. For information on joining the IEEE Communications
Society, visit <http://www.comsoc.org>. To add this publication to your
IEEE membership, visit: <http://www.ieee.org/addnewservices>

2. TOOK A LICKING, KEPT ON TICKING: AN IEEE SPECTRUM SPECIAL REPORT
The December issue of IEEE Spectrum takes an in-depth look at the
mysterious attack on the Internet's root server system on 21 October, which
caused nine of the Internet's thirteen root servers to fail for at least a
few minutes. Senior Associate Editor Steven M. Cherry examines the specific
tactics of the assailants, explains what we learned from the episode and
warns that more needs to be done to fortify the Internet's security before
the next attack.
<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/dec02/webs.html>

3. REPORT: ISPs MUST PREPARE FOR FUTURE EMERGENCIES
Although the Internet sustained surprisingly little damage during the
terrorist attacks on September 11, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) need
to assess their vulnerabilities and prepare for future attacks, according
to a recent report from the National Research Council. The report explains
that many of lower Manhattan's communications networks were in disarray
after the terror attacks, forcing some rescue personnel to turn to the
stability of the Internet to communicate. However, the report warns that it
is difficult to predict how the Internet would respond to future attacks
and urges businesses to reevaluate computer network structure, data backup
centers and Internet links.
<http://news.com.com/2100-1033-966681.html>

4. FREE TRIAL AVAILABLE FOR NEW IEEE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY COLLECTION
In January, your organization may be eligible to receive a free online
trial to the new IEEE Information Technology Library (ITeL). IEEE ITeL
includes more than 900 IEEE conference proceedings and selected periodicals
in the areas of computing, communications, signal processing and circuits
and systems. Intended for corporations, universities and government
institutions, IEEE ITeL will be available to subscribers in January 2003.
If your organization subscribes to the new IEEE Information Technology
Library online collection by 31 March 2003, it will receive US$5000 off the
regular subscription price. To arrange a free trial, ask your information
professional to send a request to mailto:[email-masked]

For more information on the IEEE Information Technology Library, visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/onlinepubs>

5. IEEE PUBLICATIONS IN COMMUNICATIONS RANK HIGH IN CITATIONS STUDY
In the most recent Journal Citation Study, compiled and published by the
Institute for Scientific Information (ISI), IEEE Communications Society
publications in the subject area of telecommunications dominated the
ratings, including the top five spots when sorted by Impact Factor. Listed
below are the top five journals in Telecommunications"
- IEEE Network (#1)
- IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine (#2) (formerly IEEE Personal
Communications Magazine)
- IEEE Communications Magazine (#3)
- IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (#4)
- IEEE Transactions on Communications (#5)
For more information, visit <http://www.ieee.org/products/citations.html>

To add these publications to your IEEE membership, visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/addnewservices>

6. OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE COMES TO ATLANTA
The Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exposition (OFC), coming 23
March to Atlanta, Georgia, USA, is billed as one of the largest and most
highly regarded events in the industry. According to the official OFC Web
site, the conference offers more than 500 technical sessions and nearly
1000 exhibitors, providing a high-powered, commerce-driven exhibition with
leading edge, peer-reviewed educational programming. To register, visit:
<http://www.ofcconference.org/home.cfm>

IEEE sponsors more than 300 technical conferences and workshops each year,
highlighting today's very latest technological advances. The IEEE
ConferenceSearch Web site can pinpoint an IEEE conference to help you with
the work you are doing today.
<http://www.ieee.org/conferencesearch/>

NEW RELEASE: The proceedings of the Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of
Computer and Telecommunication Systems Conference (MASCOTS 2002) are now
available from the IEEE Online Catalog & Store:
<http://shop.ieee.org/store/product.asp?prodno=PR1840>
***What's New Special - Use Code WNI for 15% Off - order instructions
below***

7. OVER 10,000 DEFINITIONS IN COMMUNICATIONS DICTIONARY FROM WILEY-IEEE
PRESS
"Hargrave's Communications Dictionary," from IEEE Press and John Wiley &
Sons, includes over 10,000 definitions of key terms and phrases used in the
telecommunication industry. Written by Frank Hargrave, who has 30 years
experience in engineering and manufacturing, this volume is a fundamental
resource for basic to intermediate level students and practitioners, and a
quick reference for more experienced electronic engineers and technicians.
Learn more about this reference tool at:
<http://shop.ieee.org/store/product.asp?prodno=PC5869>
***IEEE members receive a 15% discount on Wiley-IEEE Press titles***

8. IEEE ELECTION RESULTS: ARTHUR WINSTON 2003 PRESIDENT-ELECT
Arthur W. Winston, director of the Gordon Institute of Tufts University in
Medford, Massachusetts, USA, has been elected 2003 IEEE president-elect.
Winston will begin serving as IEEE president on 1 January 2004, succeeding
2003 IEEE President Michael S. Adler. An IEEE Life Fellow, Winston served
on the IEEE Board of Directors from 1996-1999.

For a complete list of the newly elected officers, including division
delegates and directors and officers of the Standards Association, IEEE-USA
and Technical Activities, go to:
<http://www.ieee.org/newsinfo/elections02.xml>

9. IEEE MEMBER DIGITAL LIBRARY CHARTER SUBSCRIBERS RECEIVE FIRST MONTH FREE
Charter subscribers to the IEEE Member Digital Library will receive their
first month of research access free if they subscribe by 31 December 2002.
Available in January 2003, The IEEE Member Digital Library will provide
subscribers with exclusive online access to more than five years of IEEE
technical papers. To learn more about the features and benefits of this new
and exclusive IEEE Member product, visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/ieeemdl>

To renew your IEEE membership and subscribe, visit:
<http://www.ieee.org/renew>

Coming soon: "Accessing IEEE Technical Information," a free Web conference
on 11 February 2003. Find out how the IEEE Member Digital Library can help
with the research you are doing today. Register for this event at:
<http://www.ieee.org/ieeemdl>

10. HELP FOR UNEMPLOYED IEEE MEMBERS
In response to growing numbers of unemployed engineers in the United
States, IEEE-USA has developed a one-stop resource page for U.S. IEEE
members who are unemployed or anticipating an involuntary career
transition. Visitors will find a number of benefits that the IEEE extends
to members to help them get through these difficult stretches and to take
steps toward building careers with longevity.
<http://www.ieeeusa.org/careers/help/>

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/