Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Re: MRT?

From: Bill McLain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:11:36 -0600

It never ceases to amaze me whenever the south or mid-Atlantic area has
snow.  You watch places like Buffalo, NY., they can get 2' of snow over
night and go on as if things never happened, but put an inch on the ground
in Dixie and forget about things!  Remember back when I was stationed at Ft.
Gordon, GA., 2 inches of snow and the entire base was closed for 2 days..And
have you ever watch them drive when the roads get icy?  Someplace along the
road they must have inhaled fumes, those folks burnt all the common
sense--hey, let's see how fast we can get down the road!!!  Yup, we have ice
and snow here in Iowa but we don't get dumb and forget how to drive..<end of
my rant> 
	Now stuck with the kiddies and a battery operated AM radio--that
makes it an emergency!  Honey, can you make some hot water in the fireplace?

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 2:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: MRT?

Todd- Is out of service today. (Snow in Raleigh) He reports  he is sitting
in a house with
no power, 58 degrees and 5 Kids. And the ultimate torture, he is being
forced to listen to
AM radio.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 20:51:09 -0500

It's funny in the south they have a "Snow Advisory" and everyone runs to home depot, Lowes
and Krogger. They buy Flashlights, Bread & Milk and Generators.
One of my neighbours says they are just A**Backwards!

They get 1 inch of snow and the city is shut down. I hop in my car and zip around town all
day with out traffic I love it........Come on Snow!

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

---

From: Blake Bowers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:42:56 -0600

> and snow here in Iowa but we don't get dumb and forget how to 

There is the consideration however, that the entire state of Missouri has
fewer snow plows than Albany NY.  That, and even fewer people with
the experience to drive them.

It makes 2 inches seem like 2 feet.  

And speed is not only in the south.  I remember doing a 360 in
an ambulance going to St Peters in Albany.  (the old lady in
back asking "is anything wrong?", me looking back at my
partner who could not speak - too busy clenching)

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 01:54:14 -0500

I'm not going drag this out but, if  they (South, East, West) know every year the same
thing happens why are they not prepared? I guess I need to go find a politician to answer
that.

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 06:49:55 -0500

We have a meteorologist here on WRAL (TV5) that made a joke of this - every
time a storm would come, he would gauge it on the "Loaf-O-Meter".  This
meant that if the Loaf-O-Meter read 3, then you better hop on down to the
Piggly Wiggly or Food Lion and buy three loaves of bread.  One Food Lion had
a "Hurricane Aisle" that had (and I'm NOT making this up) bread, beer, and
toilet paper for one-stop shopping.  And they still had the gall to charge
over $5 for a six-pack of Genessee Cream Ale, too (aka Green Death).  Mike
Maze quit using the Loaf-O-Meter joke when people started thinking that this
was good advice and DID go buy three loaves of bread because of course, WRAL
weather is ALWAYS right...

What truly amazed me here in Cary (which stands for Containment Area for
Relocated Yankees) was all the nuts who stood in line at the gas stations
for a couple of hours.  Few gas stations were open, but what the hell do you
need gasoline for in a power outage??  I could see some generator needs,
maybe some folks sitting in cars, but oh geeze, the line was 30 cars long!
And what made it worse was that the McDonalds is attached to the gas station
here at Preston, and THAT was swamped.

And just imagine...in another six months, people will want that air
conditioning cranked up again...some still won't be cool enough, so they'll
be putting towels in the freezer and laying on top of them in bed...

And no, I don't eat grits, chitterlings, nor possum bellies!  Although we do
have our own rendition of Jed Clampett up the road.  And yet we have the
highest proportion of PhDs to residents in the nation...

Todd Ellis
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Marcel [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 8:51 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: MRT?

  It's funny in the south they have a "Snow Advisory" and everyone runs to
home depot, Lowes
  and Krogger. They buy Flashlights, Bread & Milk and Generators.
  One of my neighbours says they are just A**Backwards!

  They get 1 inch of snow and the city is shut down. I hop in my car and zip
around town all
  day with out traffic I love it........Come on Snow!

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 06:29:29 -0500

Howdy Bill...

Well, you have to know about a few things first - I'm originally from
Rochester, the city about 60 miles east of Buffalo, so I know snow.

What the real problem here is - ice.  The ice brought down power lines and
trees, or trees and THEN the power lines.  Having lived in Lincoln, NE for a
couple of years, I know this would amaze you, but there are SO MANY dang
trees here, we generally can't see the horizon from anywhere except places
like the airport, or the occasional hill.  We don't see horizontal
lightning, we don't see storms approaching - unless they are right on top of
us.  We all take the ability to see Doppler live radar on the Internet and
TV extremely seriously, since if this was The Land of Oz, Auntie Em and Toto
would have been swept up in their doublewide by the time Dorothy called a
warning.  When Hurricane Fran hit in '96, we had so much wood debris in this
county that it was the equivalent of one year's refuse pile - all in one
night.  So, when the ice hit, everything came down.  The power folks were
going nuts, since every time they would clear a tree from a line and
restring it, another tree would come down on the next line segment.
Maddening.

I guess my clients will all be sleeping it off today - those guys will work
24-36 hour shifts until the power comes back on or they simply have to rest.
My hat is off to them (and especially since my balding head is warmer!).

Todd Ellis
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Bill McLain [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 5:12 PM
  To: [email-masked]'
  Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Re: MRT?

  It never ceases to amaze me whenever the south or mid-Atlantic area has
  snow.  You watch places like Buffalo, NY., they can get 2' of snow over
  night and go on as if things never happened, but put an inch on the ground
  in Dixie and forget about things!

---

From: "Blake Bowers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:38:04 -0600

Priorities grasshopper....

Take Minnesota for example.  They get 2 weeks of summer, 
when we get 2 weeks of winter.  More important for them to
have plows, and us to have brushcutters!

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 07:56:07 -0500

Update:  Tried to go to work, but still no power.  The office building is in
an older section of Raleigh and the road is blocked by fallen trees and a
bunch of power lines that were snapped out of their insulators.  It's a real
mess.  Just heard that over a million customers are still without power in
North Carolina alone.

Todd Ellis

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:51:16 -0500

How about the 115 people who stood in line to get a can of kerosene?

Not many places pump kerosene these days, and the few who do were all backed
up.
Henrik "Rik" Rasmussen
http://home.nc.rr.com/rikrasmussen/
Amateur Radio Extra Class WA4BAN
ICQ: 7920695

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Todd Ellis [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 6:50 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More thawing - more off-topic drivel

  We have a meteorologist here on WRAL (TV5) that made a joke of this -
every time a storm would come, he would gauge it on the "Loaf-O-Meter".
This meant that if the Loaf-O-Meter read 3, then you better hop on down to
the Piggly Wiggly or Food Lion and buy three loaves of bread.  One Food Lion
had a "Hurricane Aisle" that had (and I'm NOT making this up) bread, beer,
and toilet paper for one-stop shopping.  And they still had the gall to
charge over $5 for a six-pack of Genessee Cream Ale, too (aka Green Death).
Mike Maze quit using the Loaf-O-Meter joke when people started thinking that
this was good advice and DID go buy three loaves of bread because of course,
WRAL weather is ALWAYS right...

  And no, I don't eat grits, chitterlings, nor possum bellies!  Although we
do have our own rendition of Jed Clampett up the road.  And yet we have the
highest proportion of PhDs to residents in the nation...

  Todd Ellis
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Marcel [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 8:51 PM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Re: MRT?

    They get 1 inch of snow and the city is shut down. I hop in my car and
zip around town all
    day with out traffic I love it........Come on Snow!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              ADVERTISEMENT

  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: "sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 01:47:19 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Rik Rasmussen" <hrasmussen@n...> 
wrote:
> Not many places pump kerosene these days, and the few who do were 
>all backed up.

Just go the local county airport and get some "Jet A" aviation fuel, 
its Kerosene.

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 06:55:16 -0500

Our local county airport is Raleigh-Durham International...
  -----Original Message-----
  From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]> [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 8:47 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: More thawing - more off-topic drivel

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor 
              ADVERTISEMENT

---

From: "Bill Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 16:32:04 -0500

How hard can it be to siphon a few gallons out of a 777?