Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New study shows brain waves affected by 900 MHz GSM phones

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:39:42 -0500

------- Original Message --------
From: "A10382" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: New study shows brain waves affected by 900 MHz GSM phones

Here we go again is right.....

“it would be premature to draw conclusions about health consequences of
these findings.  ..... "

translation: "We better get a lawsuit filed quickly before someone else
beats us to the trough... er.. punch."
=======
All of the lawsuits I ever remember seeing or hearing about have either been
withdrawn or dismissed due to lack of scientific proof.  It's unlikely that
any made it.. even to the point of being 'confidentially' settled.  Had any
gone the distance, the courts would almost undoubtedly be clogged with
similar cases.

Here's hoping the pot-o-gold chasers will just give up and look to other
more lucrative pastures - like tobacco and illegal drugs.  Why aren't the
'in-the-public-interest' firms going after drug cartels ?? After all, they
do irreparable harm, have very deep pockets, and can be tried just like they
are criminally indited -- in abstentia.

=======
 ._._.

> Study says brain waves
> affected by phone use, draws no conclusions
>
>
> Dec. 10, 2002 1:47 PM EST
> RCR Wireless News
>
> WASHINGTON
>
> A newly published study said GSM 900 MHz mobile-phone signals cause
changes to brain activity that linger after exposure to handset radiation,
an effect observed in a sleep study that scientists said was unlikely the
result of thermal effects on the brain.
>
> The study, led by Dr. Peter Achermann at the University of Zurich’s
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology and published in the Journal of
Sleep Research, revealed blood flow increased in areas of the brain on the
side nearest the phone and the effect lasted for more than half an hour
afterward.
>
> Scientists also discovered that the brain’s electrical activity—brain
waves—was not only affected immediately after the exposure, but also lasted
through much of the next night’s sleep.
>
> The scientists said the cause of brain changes seemed to be the pulse
modulation of the phone signal, not its carrier frequency.
>
> However, Achermann cautioned that “it would be premature to draw
conclusions about health consequences of these findings. Fields such as
those emitted by mobile phones might even be used for diagnostic or
therapeutic purposes.”
>
> http://www.rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=6244

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/