Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola's Semiconductor Products Sector (SPS) and SiRF Agree to Develop New Location-Aware Chipsets -- SiRF's GPS Baseband and RF Core Technology to be Integrated into Motorola Location-Enabled Chipsets for Wireless and Mobile Devices

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:59:50 -0500

http://library.northernlight.com/FB20021202920000163.html?cb=0&dx=1006&sc=0#doc
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

Motorola's Semiconductor Products Sector (SPS) and SiRF Agree to Develop New Location-Aware Chipsets -- SiRF's GPS Baseband and RF Core Technology to be Integrated into Motorola Location-Enabled Chipsets for Wireless and Mobile Devices

SAN JOSE, Calif. and PHOENIX, Dec 2, 2002 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- SiRF Technology, Inc. and Motorola's (NYSE: MOT) Semiconductor Products Sector (SPS), the world's largest producer of embedded processors and a leading supplier into the mobile phone market, have announced an agreement to integrate SiRF's market-leading SiRFstarII Global Positioning System (GPS) core technology with Motorola wireless baseband and applications processors to location-enable a line of Motorola's SPS chipsets for mobile devices. This is SiRF's third announced agreement* with Motorola.

Source:

PR Newswire

Date:

12/02/2002 06:00

Price:

Free

Document Size:

Medium (3 to 7 pages)

Document ID:

FB20021202920000163

Subject(s):

PRN; Automobile; Automotive; Business; Cellular; Commercial; Communications; Consumer; Emergency; Market; Mobile Computing; Networking; NYSE; Patent; Peripherals; President; Products; Property; Radio; Sales; Semiconductors; Software; Technology; Wireless

Document Type:

Press releases

Motorola's Semiconductor Products Sector (SPS) and SiRF Agree to Develop New Location-Aware Chipsets -- SiRF's GPS Baseband and RF Core Technology to be Integrated into Motorola Location-Enabled Chipsets for Wireless and Mobile Devices

Story Filed: Monday, December 02, 2002 6:00 AM EST

SAN JOSE, Calif. and PHOENIX, Dec 2, 2002 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ --
SiRF Technology, Inc. and Motorola's (NYSE: MOT) Semiconductor Products Sector
(SPS), the world's largest producer of embedded processors and a leading
supplier into the mobile phone market, have announced an agreement to integrate
SiRF's market-leading SiRFstarII Global Positioning System (GPS) core technology
with Motorola wireless baseband and applications processors to location-enable a
line of Motorola's SPS chipsets for mobile devices. This is SiRF's third
announced agreement* with Motorola.

Motorola plans to incorporate SiRF's advanced GPS technology into a line of
location-aware wireless baseband and applications processor chipsets that will
broaden the market for devices used for location-based services. The chipsets
will utilize SiRF's SiRFstarII GPS baseband and RF IC core technology.

Motorola intends to implement an enhanced version of SiRF's RF IC technology
using the Silicon Germanium:Carbon module of its advanced RF BiCMOS wafer
process. The planned GPS receiver will incorporate Motorola IP enhancements for
a higher level of integration with additional features for cell phone
applications.

Mobile devices using these chipsets can take advantage of SiRFLoc(TM) multimode
location technology to meet the market needs for location-based services, as
well as to address accuracy and availability requirements contained in the
United States' FCC Enhanced 911 (E-911) mandate for wireless carriers. SiRFLoc
multimode technology is being used by Nextel for E-911 emergency location and
location-based services.

SiRF and Motorola plan to develop and jointly market a series of wireless/GPS
chipsets for use in the GSM, GPRS and 3G cellular markets, as well as for PDAs.
The companies are already developing joint reference designs for next-generation
handsets using existing SiRF GPS and Motorola wireless chipsets for customers
needing speedy market entry. The first anticipated jointly-developed chip from
this agreement is expected to be a GPS RF receiver IC, which will interface to
an embedded GPS baseband processor in Motorola cellular platforms or to a SiRF
baseband processor. Currently in the sampling stage, these products are expected
to be available from SPS beginning in the second quarter of 2003.

"SiRF was founded with the intent of developing location technology that could
be used in a wide range of consumer devices," says Kanwar Chadha, vice-president
of business development and founder of SiRF Technology. "SiRF's location
technology combined with Motorola's semiconductor technology and worldwide
presence is a major step towards that objective. We believe that the products
that result from this agreement will bring the level of integration, cost and
performance needed to accelerate the mainstream market acceptance of location
technology in markets like wireless handsets and PDAs."

"Motorola's strong presence in the wireless semiconductor market has solidified
with the recent success of our leadership Innovative Convergence(TM) cellular
platforms," said Behrooz Abdi, vice president and general manager of Motorola's
Radio Products Division. "Now customers look to us to provide them with complete
radio solutions, including enhanced features such as location information and
wireless connectivity. This agreement with SiRF will help round out our
portfolio in several of our target markets. SiRF's leadership in the GPS market
makes it an excellent Motorola partner. Our combined strong technical roadmap is
expected to enable us to meet the needs for future generations of location-aware
products from SPS."

SiRFLoc Multimode GPS

The SiRF IC technology licensed to SPS can take advantage of SiRF's advanced
SiRFLoc multimode high-sensitivity location technology, the standard for robust
and accurate location awareness. Unlike first-generation A-GPS systems,
multimode location technology does not need to rely entirely on network
assistance to determine location, even in areas where location awareness was
previously unfeasible -- such as densely wooded areas, urban canyons or even
some indoor environments. Optimized for the next generation of location-based
services, the SiRFLoc multimode technology provides dynamic navigation as
opposed to the point positioning provided by traditional A-GPS architectures.

About Motorola

As the world's #1 producer of embedded processors, Motorola's Semiconductor
Products Sector creates DigitalDNA(TM) system-on-chip solutions for a connected
world. Our strong focus on wireless communications and networking enables
customers to develop smarter, simpler, safer and synchronized products for the
person, work team, home and automobile. Motorola's worldwide semiconductor sales
were $4.9 billion (USD) in 2001.
www.motorola.com/semiconductors

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in providing integrated
communications solutions and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 2001 were
$30 billion. For more information, please visit:
www.motorola.com/

About SiRF

SiRF Technology, Inc. develops and markets semiconductor and software products
that are designed to enable location awareness in high-volume mobile consumer
devices and commercial applications. Location awareness refers to the ability of
a device to determine and make use of the information regarding its location.
SiRF's products enable a range of devices to utilize GPS to detect location.
They have been integrated into mobile consumer devices, such as automobile
navigation systems, cellular phones, GPS-based mobile computing peripherals and
handheld GPS navigation devices, and into commercial applications, such as
property tracking devices and fleet management systems. SiRF markets and sells
its products in four target markets: wireless handheld, automotive, mobile
computing and embedded consumer applications.

* See SiRF Dials Motorola for E911, dated March 11, 2002, and SiRF Supplies

Location Technology for Motorola's First 3G Devices dated October 2, 2002.

SiRF, SiRFstar and the SiRF logo are registered trademarks of SiRF Technology,
Inc. SiRFLoc is a trademark of SiRF Technology, Inc. (c) 2002 SiRF Technology,
Inc. All rights reserved.

MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark
Office. All other product or service names are the property of their respective
owners.

SOURCE Motorola

CONTACT: North America - Bob Benzer of Motorola North America,
+1-480-413-3840, or fax, +1-480-413-6220, or [email-masked]; or
Cathy Wright of Evans Partners, +1-650-595-1871, or [email-masked],
for SiRF Technology, Inc.; or Kanwar Chadha, founder and vice president of
SiRF Technology, Inc., +1-408-392-8307, or [email-masked]; or - Europe,
Middle East, Africa - Regina Cirmonova of Motorola, +41-22-7991-258, or
[email-masked]
/Photo: NewsCom:
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020307/MOTLOGO

http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020415/MOTNOTAGLOGO
AP Archive: http://photoarchive.ap.org
PRN Photo Desk, +1-888-776-6555 or +1-212-782-2840

URL:
http://www.motorola.com

http://www.prnewswire.com

Copyright (C) 2002 PR Newswire. All rights reserved.

KEYWORD: California

Arizona
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: CPR
HRD
STW
TLS

Copyright © 2002, PR Newswire, all rights reserved.

You may now print or save this document.