Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon Names New President for Southeast Region

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 04:05:00 -0500

Another Boss?
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-02-2002/0001850622&EDATE=

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Verizon Names New President for Southeast Region

Alan Ciamporcero to Succeed John Blanchard, Who is Retiring

TAMPA, Fla., Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon has selected Alan Ciamporcero
to lead the company's regulatory, legislative and governmental affairs
activities in the Southeast. Ciamporcero, a 15-year telecommunications
veteran, will become president -- public policy and external affairs for
Verizon's Southeast region Jan 1.
He will have overall responsibility for all corporate interests for the
company in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, South
Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. Ciamporcero also will be responsible for
economic development and community relations for the company in each state.
He will be located in Tampa.
His appointment follows the announcement that John Blanchard, current
Southeast region president, plans to retire from the company Dec. 31, after a
29-year career.
"John Blanchard has been a strong and capable leader with a tremendous
wealth of institutional knowledge that is not easily replaced," said Tom
Tauke, senior vice president - public policy and external affairs for Verizon.
"We are extremely fortunate to have someone as talented as Alan Ciamporcero to
step into this important position."
Most recently, Ciamporcero served as acting senior vice president - state
public policy and external affairs for Verizon for 16 Western states. He has
been with Verizon and its predecessor company, GTE, since 1998.
Previously, he was an attorney and regulatory advocate for Pacific Bell
for 11 years. He also practiced public utility law in California and
Washington and worked as a lawyer for the U.S. House of Representatives and
the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Ciamporcero received his law
degree from the University of California, Davis and a Ph.D in political
science from the State University of New York.
Blanchard joined GTE Service Corp. in the Financial Executive Development
Program in 1973. During his telecommunications career with the company, he
has held positions with increasing responsibilities in Indiana, Kentucky,
California, North Carolina, Connecticut, Washington, Texas and Florida.

Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) is one of the world's leading providers
of communications services. Verizon companies are the largest providers of
wireline and wireless communications in the United States, with 135.0 million
access line equivalents and 31.5 million Verizon Wireless customers. Verizon
is also the largest directory publisher in the world. With more than
$67 billion in annual revenues and more than 236,000 employees, Verizon's
global presence extends to more than 35 countries in the Americas, Europe,
Asia and the Pacific. For more information on Verizon, visit
http://www.verizon.com .

VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches
and biographies, media contacts and other information are available at
Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at http://www.verizon.com/news .
To receive news releases by e-mail, visit the News Center and register for
customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.

Click here

SOURCE Verizon Communications

Web Site: http://www.verizon.com http://www.verizon.com/news

Company News On Call: Company News On-Call:
http://www.prnewswire.com/comp/094251.html

Issuers
of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of
the content.

More news from PR Newswire...

Copyright © 1996-2002 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

A United
Business Media company.