Subject: [mobile-ip] MIPv6 rate limiting on BU

From: "Greg O'Shea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:04:08 -0000

"   Specifically, a mobile node MUST NOT send a Binding Update about a
   new care-of address to its home agent (which is required to register
   the new address as its primary care-of address) more often than once
   per MAX_UPDATE_RATE seconds." [11.5.2]

"The mobile node MUST NOT send Mobility Header messages of
   a particular type to a particular correspondent node more often than
   once per MAX_UPDATE_RATE seconds." [11.8]

If a MN sends a BU and gets back an ack with eg invalid nonce, the MN
can run RR perhaps in a few millisecs but then has to wait until one
second has expired since the first BU. The folks who care about fast
handoff will hate this.

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:31:23 -0800

> second has expired since the first BU. The folks who care about fast 

you are right. set MAX_UPDATE_RATE to 2 (or 3 or 4....) per second?
I am not sure. but we do want to rate-limit mobility header messages.

Vijay

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:13:27 +0200

> second has expired since the first BU. The folks who care about fast 

Yes. I agree with Vijay that we should raise the rate. And the definition
should allow some burstiness. How about MAX_UPDATE_RATE = 3 and the text
changed to say "more than MAX_UPDATE_RATE within a second".

Jari

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:32:54 -0800

> changed to say "more than MAX_UPDATE_RATE within a second".

thats looks fine.

Vijay