Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ABERNATHY ANNOUNCES HIRING OF JENNIFER A. MANNER

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:01:28 -0500

ABERNATHY ANNOUNCES HIRING OF JENNIFER A. MANNER

Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy announced today that Jennifer A. Manner will join her
staff as Senior Counsel, effective January 13, 2003.  Ms. Manner will focus on wireless
and international issues.  “I am delighted to have the opportunity to work with someone as
talented and well-versed as Jennifer,” Abernathy stated.

Ms. Manner currently serves as Director, International Alliances for WorldCom, Inc., where
she is responsible for developing and implementing the company’s international alliances.
From 1996-2000, Ms. Manner served as Associate Counsel in WorldCom’s legal department,
where she advised business units on international and wireless regulatory issues.  Before
joining WorldCom, Ms. Manner was an associate in the communications group of Akin, Gump,
Strauss, Hauer, and Feld, and she served for two years as Attorney-Adviser in the FCC’s
Common Carrier Bureau.

“Jennifer not only has a strong professional track record but is an accomplished author
and professor,” said Abernathy.  Ms. Manner’s book Spectrum Wars will be published in
early 2003, and she also published Global Telecommunications Regulation in 2002.  In
addition to these books, Ms. Manner has published several scholarly articles on
international and wireless telecommunications policy.  Since 2000, she has served as
Adjunct Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center.  She has also been
extensively involved in the Federal Communications Bar Association, the Women’s Bar
Association, and the D.C. Bar.

Ms. Manner earned an L.L.M from Georgetown University Law Center and her J.D. from New
York Law School.  She was an undergraduate at the State University of New York at Albany.

Commissioner Abernathy had previously announced her intention to hire Carolyn Groves, a
partner with Wilkinson Barker Knauer, LLP.  “Unfortunately,” Abernathy said, “due to
recusal issues, Carolyn withdrew her candidacy.”  Abernathy added, “I am disappointed to
lose Carolyn ? she is a stellar lawyer and a person of tremendous character.  She would
have made a great advisor.  I wish her the best of luck in continuing her law practice.”

- FCC -

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/