Subject: [mobile-ip] Proposed resolution for issue #171

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:16:05 -0800

Hello folks,

There is a proposal to allow for nonfinal Mobility headers, which would
then enable the previous method of sending the Binding Request message
along with a Router Advertisement containing the new information.
This seems like a much cleaner approach to solving this problem, and
I hope that we can go forward with that as soon as the base draft
emerges
from IESG consideration.

For this reason, I propose that we do not add anything to the base draft

which would do the same thing except less effectively (because of
requiring
a failure step to precede a successful registration).

Regards,
Charlie P.

========================================================

Ed Remmell writes: It might be nice in some cases if the HA can send
the MN a Binding Refresh Request message. Currently, I think the
specification assumes that the Binding Refresh Request message is only
sent by the CN. I know about the Binding Refresh Advice Mobility
option, but sending a BRR would allow the HA to solicit an unscheduled
BU from the MN. This could be useful if (for some reason) the HA has
decided to disallow the MN to use a specific home address, in which
case it can more quickly fail the MN reregistration. Also, it appears
that very little needs to be done to make this functionality work,
apart from mentioning it in the specification as being permitted.

--------------------------

Francis Dupont writes: As the HA is also a CN I don't understand your
concern...

--------------------------
        Proposal: This is done better by nonfinal Binding Refresh
                Request on Advertisement.
--------------------------

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 11:04:17 +0200

> This seems like a much cleaner approach to solving this problem, and

I agree.

Jari