Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push comes to shove

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 15:27:45 -0500

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=34940598&ID=cnniw&scategory=Business+and+Finance&

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home

News

IndustryWatch

Aerospace/Defense

Auto

Aviation

Banking

Business and Finance

- Bankruptcy

- Dividends/Earnings

- Executives

- Intellect. Prop.

- Investments

- Investors

- IPO's

- Joint Ventures

- Labor

- Mergers & Acq.

- Mortgages/Loans

- Products

- Reg. and Taxes

- Venture Capital

Chemicals

Computers

Economy/Markets

Energy

Entertainment

Environment

Food

Government

Healthcare

Insurance

Internet

Metals & Minerals

Real Estate

Retail

Small Business

Telecommunications

Transportation

Travel

Utilities

searchIndustryWatch

Markets &
Stocks

Commentary

Technology

Personal Finance

Retirement

Mutual Funds

Money 101

Money's Best

Track your
stocks

Calculators

CNNfn
on TV

Services

CNN.com

CNNSI.com

MONEY
Magazine
Customer
Service

E-MAIL
NEWSLETTERS
sign
up!

MOBILE NEWS
•AvantGo

sign
up!

Push comes to shove

Source: Communications International

Publication date: 2002-11-01

Arrival time: 2002-12-06

NEXTEL'S highly successful Direct Connect twoway push-to-talk
service, soon to be emulated by other north American operators like
Sprint PCS, will soon be copied in Europe. The first commercial
mobile instant voice messaging services are expected next April. But
will Europeans go for them as their US counterparts have?

John Burns, chief executive at ip technology provider Sonim
Technologies, claims they will. Operators in the UK and Italy are
already among more than a dozen in Europe testing its push-totalk
and ip-based voice messaging, be says arguing that push-to-talk is
attractive both for business users who want instant communication
with colleagues, and for consumers who want to stay in touch with
friends and family.

Nextel's customers are a loyal breed. Despite competitors' claims
of poor customer service, a limited range of proprietary handsets,
and an expensive iden network, users have signed up in droves,
making Nextel North America's fifth largest carrier. The company
delivers an average revenue per user (arpu) of $71, which is 50 per
cent higher than the industry average. Nextel also claims a chum
rate of half the industry average, and that it acquires customers
twice as fast as competitors.

Optimising Nextel's push-to-talk for a standard mobile network
could provide European operators with an instant communications
platform that will help generate arpu from their gprs
infrastructure, he claims. The new services will require sip
capability on the mobile device, something which Sonim says it will
have available for gprs smartphones and pda's by early 2003.

Copyright EMAP Business Publishing Nov 2002

Publication date: 2002-11-01

© 2002, YellowBrix, Inc.

CNNmoney

contact us | magazine
customer service |
site
map | CNN/Money
glossary

OTHER NEWS: CNN | CNNSI | Fortune | Business 2.0 | Time | ON
Copyright © 2002 CNN America, Inc. An AOL Time
Warner Company ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you. privacy policy