Subject: [NEXTEL-1] School buses banned from using cell phones

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:07:07 -0500

School buses banned from using cell phones
16-Dec-02

School bus drivers in the USA state of New Jersey are now banned from using a cell phone
under a new law passed last week by Governor McGreevey. The ban does not apply if there
are no passengers on the bus or during emergency situations.

Any offender will be fined between US$100 and US$250 per infraction.

The bill noted that research indicates that cell phones contribute to driver inattention
and may increase the incidence of accidents. The use of these phones by school bus
drivers, who already are subject to a higher degree of distraction than most drivers,
poses an unnecessary risk.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.ZSp6B/dlOFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Rick Parenti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 02:53:35 -0500

I think this is a legit bill, but should be handled differently. I 
believe that the law was passed while considering that a driver should 
not be able to take a children or childrens life into their own 
hands....I do see however that it is saying in other words that they 
can take their own life into their hands while this is already illegal. 
In closing, I simply believe that cell should should not only be banned 
with kids on the bus, but also without kids on the bus!!!!!!!

---

From: "Flood, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:01:26 -0500

So they are banned from even calling 911?  I'm sure they have a dispatcher somewhere they should be able to communicate to in an emergency, but many bus systems have a 911-only cell backup...