Subject: [NEXTEL-1] E-Government Act of 2002

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:34:35 -0500

President Bush signs E-Government Act of 2002
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1371-2002Dec17.html

Lots of details of Bill not highlighted in Post article. In addition to 
establishing an Office of Electronic Government, the Bill promotes community 
technology centers and requires the study of disparities in access to the 
Internet:

SEC. 213. COMMUNITY TECHNOLOGY CENTERS.

(a) PURPOSES- The purposes of this section are to--

(1) study and enhance the effectiveness of community technology centers, public 
libraries, and other institutions that provide computer and Internet access to 
the public; and

(2) promote awareness of the availability of on-line government information and 
services, to users of community technology centers, public libraries, and other 
public facilities that provide access to computer technology and Internet 
access to the public.
*****************************

SEC. 215. DISPARITIES IN ACCESS TO THE INTERNET.

(a) STUDY AND REPORT-

(1) STUDY- Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the 
Administrator of General Services shall request that the National Academy of 
Sciences, acting through the National Research Council, enter into a contract 
to conduct a study on disparities in Internet access for online Government 
services.

(SEC. 216 deals with establishing common protocols for GIS)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.ZSp6B/dlOFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/