Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Upgrading the radio system to match Montgomery County’s new system

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:43:18 -0500

UPPER POTTSGROVE -- Township taxpayers who were packing up the checkbook for another year
had better hold off.
Monday night, the budget committee of the township commissioners voted unanimously to
advertise a 25 percent increase in the fire tax.

But the percentage is misleading.

Because the fire tax in town has been so low for so long -- .2 mils to be exact -- the
increase to .25 mills will actually only come out to about $5 for a home assessed at
$100,000 of property value.

"Over the past several months, the fire department has come to us with a number items and
the commissioners decided it was time to help them raise some funds," said Township
Manager Dave Paulsen.

Those items include such high-cost issues as upgrading the radio system to match
Montgomery County’s new system -- a $42,000 cost; vehicle replacement and the purchase of
a Nextel cellular phone system.

The tax increase, which will generate an additional $10,000 or $11,000, won’t give the
fire department enough money for everything it needs, "but those costs can be spread out
over a couple of years," said Paulsen.

Because of the late date of the decision, the commissioners had to set a Dec. 30 hearing
date for a public hearing and final vote on that potential tax hike.

The general fund tax rate remains unchanged from last year and that matter will be settled
at the commissioners’ regular year-end meeting, scheduled for Monday.

Both meetings begin at 7 p.m. and will be held in the new township offices in the basement
of the Upper Pottsgrove Firehouse on Farmington Avenue.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=6453666&BRD=1674&PAG=461&dept_id=18041&rfi=6
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home -> News -> Content

Friday 20 December, 2002

NEWS SEARCH

Advanced search

News

Top Stories

Progress 2002

Visions

Berks Edition

Local Sports

Editorial

Readers Say

Columnists

Sunday Business

Sunday Living

Sunday Entertainment

Readers' Recipes

The Hidden River

Town & Country

Death Notices

Weather

TV Listings

Movie Listings

Weekly Advertisers Specials

Regional News at AllAroundPhilly.com

AP -- The Wire

National News

Sports Wire!

Classifieds

Personals

Business Directory

Personal Finance/Stocks

How to Place a Print Ad

How to Subscribe

Our Newspaper

Other Publications

Maps

Directions

Fun and Games

Consumer Guide

Lifestyles

Top Stories

Upper Pottsgrove considers tax hike to aid fire department

Evan Brandt, [email-masked]

December 20, 2002

UPPER POTTSGROVE -- Township taxpayers who were packing up the checkbook for another year had better hold off.

Monday night, the budget committee of the township commissioners voted unanimously to advertise a 25 percent increase in the fire tax.

But the percentage is misleading.

Because the fire tax in town has been so low for so long -- .2 mils to be exact -- the increase to .25 mills will actually only come out to about $5 for a home assessed at $100,000 of property value.

"Over the past several months, the fire department has come to us with a number items and the commissioners decided it was time to help them raise some funds," said Township Manager Dave Paulsen.

Those items include such high-cost issues as upgrading the radio system to match Montgomery County’s new system -- a $42,000 cost; vehicle replacement and the purchase of a Nextel cellular phone system.

The tax increase, which will generate an additional $10,000 or $11,000, won’t give the fire department enough money for everything it needs, "but those costs can be spread out over a couple of years," said Paulsen.

Because of the late date of the decision, the commissioners had to set a Dec. 30 hearing date for a public hearing and final vote on that potential tax hike.

The general fund tax rate remains unchanged from last year and that matter will be settled at the commissioners’ regular year-end meeting, scheduled for Monday.

Both meetings begin at 7 p.m. and will be held in the new township offices in the basement of the Upper Pottsgrove Firehouse on Farmington Avenue.

©The Mercury 2002

Reader Opinions

Be the first person to voice your opinion on this story!

Back to top

Copyright © 1995 - 2002 PowerOne Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.