Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WSJ.com - New FCC Commissioner Wants More Hearings on Media Rules

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:03:34 -0500

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB103956185069213073-search,00.html?collection=wsjie%2F30day&vql_string=Jonathan+Adelstein+%3Cin%3E%28article%2Dbody%29

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search

Quotes & Research

Advanced Search

Symbol(s)

Name

As of 9:37 p.m. EST Tuesday, December 10, 2002

In Today's Paper

Columnists

Portfolio

Setup Center

Discussions

Site Map

Help

Contact Us

Today In:

BARRON'S Online

@ Your Service

Give a perfect gift

The Online Journal

OPEN: The Small Business NetworkSM. Go!

Get 25 commission-free trades!

Trade 5 Free @ Lind-Waldock. Click Now!

IBM Fusion Webisodes

The Smart Marketing Report from DoubleClick

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

Start a FREE
trial of the
Online Journal

Subscribe to
The Print Journal

Free US Quotes:

Symbol

Name

Get FREE E-Mail by topic

Check Out our
Mobile & Wireless Services

DIGEST OF EARNINGS

Details of the latest corporate
earnings reported for FREE.

THE NEW COMMISSIONER

• Senate
Confirms Adelstein for FCC After Long Delay

11/18/02

• Partisan
Judiciary Quarrels Spill Into FCC Nominations

10/23/02

• Senate
GOP to Block FCC Nominee

03/18/02

advertisement

<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/interactive.wsj.com/telecommunications;famil=technology;meta=DTE;sz=300x250;ord=599599599599" target="_new"><img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/interactive.wsj.com/telecommunications;famil=technology;meta=DTE;sz=300x250;ord=599599599599" border=0 width=300 height=250 vspace="0" alt="Advertisement"></a><br clear="all">

RELATED INDUSTRIES

•

Telecommunications

Personalized Home Page Setup

Put headlines on your homepage about the companies, industries and topics that interest you most.

New FCC Commissioner Wants

More Hearings on Media Rules

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The newest addition to the Federal Communications
Commission said Tuesday he would welcome more public hearings on the
government's review of rules limiting ownership of newspapers and radio and
television stations.

"There is no more important issue that we are faced with in terms of the
impact on our people and our democracy," Jonathan
Adelstein
said in his
first meeting with reporters since being sworn a week ago.

Mr. Adelstein's call for multiple public hearings runs counter to FCC
Chairman Michael Powell's belief that a single gathering in Richmond, Va.,
next month will suffice. Commissioner Michael Copps for months has sought a
series of hearings across the country to discuss the review. Until Mr.
Adelstein's arrival, Mr. Copps was the five-member panel's only
Democrat.

The FCC is studying whether current media ownership restrictions are
appropriate in a market altered by the growth of the Internet, satellite
broadcasts and cable television. The agency in September began reviewing
how ownership rules affect competition, advertising, local news outlets and
the diversity of voices providing news and information.

Media companies say outdated regulations restrict their ability to grow
and stay competitive. Critics, however, warn that mergers resulting from
looser rules could leave a few huge companies in control of what people
watch, hear and read. Analysts say Mr. Powell and the commission's two
other Republicans are intent on loosening regulations, paving the way for
more mergers.

Mr. Adelstein said the FCC must be active in reviving the struggling
telecommunications industry. "We can't afford in this country to have
weakness in this sector, otherwise it's going to impact the entire economy
as a whole and the overall prosperity of the nation," he said. To help
stimulate the economy, Mr. Adelstein said he favors broader access to
high-speed Internet connections, called broadband. Advocates say
broadband's ability to quickly send large amounts of data and high-quality
digital video signals can erase the geographic isolation that hampers
economic development in rural areas.

Copyright (c) 2002 The Associated
Press

Updated December 10, 2002 9:37 p.m. EST

');
document.write(''); //-->

REPRINTS INFORMATION:
To distribute multiple copies of this article, visit the Dow Jones Reprints site.

Return To Top

Corrections
Contact Us
Help
About Dow Jones
Mobile Devices

Account Information
Privacy Policy
Subscriber Agreement

Copyright © 2002    Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Copyright and reprint information