Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The iDEN/Nextel DirectConnect "experience"

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:28:34 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
             Subject: Re:The iDEN/Nextel DirectConnect "experience"

In a message dated 12/18/2002 1:07:29 AM Eastern Standard Time

> Did anyone else notice these (mis)statements?

I noticed! And what about this one.

"This cost-effective enhancement to our existing iDEN network brings Nextel what we
believe is the most important benefit of 3G technology - voice capacity," said West.

I guess with this "enhancement" their 10 year old network is now a new "3G" system. Most
of the articles I have read about this say Nextel will "double" their capacity. Maybe for
interconnect but what about their unique "walkie-talkie" service that uses 75% (my
estimate) of network capacity? Its already 6 to 1 and can't be doubled. How much capacity
are they actually gaining? Customers will need new phones for Nextel to realize this
capacity. When will that be?
Nextel needs spectrum. For all practical purposes they are out of "voice capacity" in
their larger markets. I guess they can keep bringing the sites down and filling in the new
holes.

Just sharing my opinions based on my observations.

Nick Long

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 00:03:38 -0500

Marcel wrote:

<Snip>

>  Its already 6 to 1 and can't be doubled. How much capacity
> are they actually gaining?

They have plans for 12:1 dispatch in 2005

> Customers will need new phones for Nextel to realize this

They will start seeding the market Q2 2003- with 6:1 Handsets.
Nextel has the highest rate of technology based handset turn over.
Several years ago I correctly predicted that all current models (i1000+, etc)
would need to be replaced. Since then they have switched platforms, added A-GPS and
other feature incompatible with older handsets. So what does Joe High-End consumer do?
Plop down $400 for a new handset.

> their larger markets.

Actually there position has improved slightly. What the need is better traffic management.
What they do need is more spectrum for their next generation platform for WiDEN yes I said
WiDEN. WiDEN is  4 X 25KHZ Channels merged together so the can provide 133kps data speed.
So what they need is contiguous spectrum.

Hello INTERFERENCE ............ They are going need a plan to fix the "Plan" hahahhaha!

> I guess they can keep bringing the sites down and filling in the new
> holes.
>

Well actually Motorola has a new Hi-site overlay on Low site platform coming out in 2005.
So all that BS talk about low site interference guess what-BAM.
All the "Plan" writers are going to be hood winked by Nextel again!

> Just sharing my opinions based on my observations.

Remember

"How Business Gets Done"
                                        -Dirty

If anyone wants to confirm this just listen to the "Timmy The One Trick Pony Show"

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.ZSp6B/dlOFAA/46VHAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->