Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Timmy The One Trick Pony Show"- A (Sleeping) Writers Perspective

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:12:51 -0500

"Timmy The One Trick Pony Show"- A (Sleeping) Writers Perspective

This writer slept through the meeting today in the back of the room.

<Snip>

"Nextel said it has tested the next phase of Motorola's voice coder software" Voice
coder???? What's that?
"Motorola said it is also working on its own version of an iDEN phone."

I guess Nextel invented iDEN??
"The digital signals, resistant to interference and dropped calls" He must have made this
part up.

" iDEN is also referred to as a "6:1 voice coder"
Oh really, did Barry tell you that?
It's a 1/2 rate vocoder

Geezeee!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nextel, Motorola Extending iDEN's Reach

Story Filed: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 8:39 PM EST

Dec 17, 2002 (Internet.com via COMTEX) -- Nextel Communications Tuesday inched closer to
making its Direct Connect function a nationwide experience.

The wireless giant said it is working with Motorola on two technical projects - nearly
doubling the voice capacity of Nextel's interconnect network, and expanding the Direct
Connect digital walkie-talkie feature to make it possible to conduct two-way radio calls
nationwide. Direct Connect is based on Nextel's Integrated Digital Enhanced Network (iDEN)
wireless technology.
"We're progressing on schedule, while exceeding our expectations for quality," said Nextel
CTO Barry West.

Reston, Va.-based Nextel said it has tested the next phase of Motorola's voice coder
software, which it says will nearly double the capacity of the company's wireless
interconnect network. iDEN phones are offered by Telus Mobility in Canada and by Nextel in
the US. Motorola said it is also working on its own version of an iDEN phone.

Utilizing existing 800 MHz SMR frequencies, iDEN converts the analogue SMR channel to an
ESMR digital network. The digital signals, resistant to interference and dropped calls,
are more easily manipulated.  Developed by Motorola, iDEN is also referred to as a "6:1
voice coder" since it allows six cellular calls to be conducted concurrently over a single
radio channel.
The companies said the new technology would be delivered on time in the first quarter of
2003, with third quarter commercial rollout. Coast-to-coast Nationwide Direct Connect is
expected to be available to Nextel customers mid year 2003.

To show how far along they've gotten, the two companies publicly-demonstrated the first
Direct Connect conversation to span multiple calling areas - from Nextel's engineering
facility in McLean, Va., to Motorola's iDEN manufacturing plant in Plantation, Fla., - a
distance of more than 1000 miles.

"This cost-effective enhancement to our existing iDEN network brings Nextel what we
believe is the most important benefit of 3G technology - voice capacity," said West.
\
Nextel also said it expects to meet its previous 2002 full-year guidance of approximately
1.9 million net additional subscribers.
Currently, 10.1 million (about 90 percent) of Nextel's customers are from the enterprise
sector including its core base of market segments including government, construction,
distribution, financial, professional services, real estate, field sales and service, and
manufacturing.

By Michael Singer URL: http://www.internet.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:12:42 -0500

Looks like bad copy too:
http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=NXTL&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=364489

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG