Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel pursues spectrum swap

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:42:40 -0500

Nextel pursues spectrum swap

 IWCE/MRT, Dec 26 2002

 Nextel Communications Inc. looked to start Christmas early Tuesday with an offer for a
wireless spectrum swap. The No. 5
 wireless carrier in the States indicated it would pay $850 million to upgrade public
safety communications in exchange for
 bandwidth it says it would use to boost services.

 Nextel officials told federal regulators they would raise backing to retune equipment of
public safety agencies and others on the
 800 MHz band so they could communicate without interference.

 The 800 MHz band carries traffic from public safety operators and private wireless
operators. For more than a year, the Reston,
 Virginia-based carrier has lobbied the FCC to create additional blocks of spectrum on the
800 MHz band to avoid interference
 with police and fire department airwaves.

 Critics say the swap plan may solve many public safety interference problems in the U.S.,
but the 10 MHz of nationwide
 spectrum at potential 3G frequencies that Nextel hopes to acquire may be unfair to the
rest of the mobile wireless community.

http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_nextel_pursues_spectrum/index.htm

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/