Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Roaming between WLAN and 2.5G network application launched

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:45:04 -0500

Roaming between WLAN and 2.5G network application launched

12/12/2002

Seamless roaming between WLAN and mobile communication network is considered as one of the
next generation technologies.

For example, imagine a situation in which you are downloading a file to a laptop or
handheld at a Wi-Fi hotspot and moving it from the hotspot to mobile wireless network.
Without being interrupted the connection, you could keep downloading it via automatic
roaming between Wi-Fi and mobile network.

Wireless LAN (WLAN) solution provider, IPone has announced that they have conducted
Wireless LAN roaming with commercial cellular networks for 2.5G and 3G. Using the networks
and WLAN devices equipped with an IPone AirGate2000N 802.11 WLAN Card and IPone's roaming
client/server software, it enables unique mobile network architecture to make possible
seamless inter-technology handoffs between different types of wireless networks. IPone's
roaming solutions have features as follows: First, it follows Mobile IP which is
International Specification established by IETF and Cellular Networks. That means it
guarantees interoperability.

Second, it is not dependent on network and hardware, therefore it supports seamless
roaming between any network using any hardware without modification. It enables you to use
seamless roaming between any network by installing IPone's roaming software in your PDA or
laptop PC.

IPone stated that new market opportunities will benefit wireless Internet service
providers as well as solution providers. These kinds of IPone's roaming solutions provide
various possible applications to wireless Internet service providers to fill a niche in
the marketplace. This solution will help address the increasing demand on the part of
business users who need continuous high-speed data access by making use of both mobile
communication networks and WLANs that the former offers ubiquitous geographic coverage and
the latter offers high speeds but more limited coverage.

These mobile networks and WLAN seamless roaming will allow business users to access
essential applications such as e-mail, company databases and internal Web applications
behind corporate firewalls via mobile communication networks by using their laptop PCs or
PDAs at any places at any time.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/