Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TI's RFID Technology Makes Wireless Watch Tick

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 13:36:41 -0500

TI's RFID Technology
Makes Wireless Watch Tick

By Mark Long
12/6/2002
e-inSITE

Texas Instruments' Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)
technology is powering Timex-built wireless wrist-watches for the
ExxonMobil Speedpass Network. The technology provides end-users
with a whole new way to streamline point-of sale transactions,
from both within as well as when out of their automobiles.  (See
'Wireless Wristwatch Pumps Petrol, Fetches Fries.')

In an interview held earlier today with e-inSITE, TI-RFID global
marketing manager Bill Allen said that the new Timex wireless
watches are enabled by a 134-KHz transponder chip that integrates
a unique ID code for each customer's watch. Behind the familiar
Pegasus logo on each of the MobileExxon gas pumps is a low
frequency antenna that is connected to a host system. Each
customer's unique ID is received when they wave their watches in
front of the circular logo that hides the sensing antenna. The
host system first verifies the validity of the code and then
processes the transaction with a remote server that has access to
the customer's check card or credit card information, which means
that the security of the individual's banking and credit
information is never transmitted over the air.

RFID technology has a long and venerable history, says Allen. The
first technical implementation came during World War II, when the
British came up with the idea of using RFID signals to identify
their own planes. Nearly 60 years later the technology has been
reduced down to the size of a piece of silicon that is just 23mm
on a side.

While the Mobil Speedpass wristwatch is a new application for the
technology, the Speedpass system itself has been for several
years. Since 1997, more than 6 million people worldwide have move
to the speed and convenience that Mobil's Speedpass automated
payment system is capable of delivering. Moreover, the use of the
system is not limited to North America. Motorists in Singapore
began using the technology back in 1999.

Before now, customers used RFID transponders that were embedded in
their key chains. But the Timex watches that took their inaugural
bows yesterday show that the technology is ready and able to go
into a variety of other wearable products with consumer appeal.

At the heart of the RFID technology that's embedded in various
Speedpass-enabled devices is a small transponder vehicle tag. The
tag reader at the pump transmits a signal to the transponder that
answers back in milliseconds, supplying a unique identification
code that's been linked to a customer's bank or credit card
account in a host database. The customer's card account is then
authorized for payment and the pump is activated so that fueling
can begin. If a pump attendant is available to pump the gas, then
customers don't even need to get out of their cars to finalize
their transactions.

TI's RFID transponders integrate a digital signature encryption
protocol that includes a challenge/response authentication to
ensure complete consumer credit protection. According to the
company, the encryption protocol makes it extremely difficult, if
not impossible to duplicate any single customers transponder tag
or the secret encryption key that protects its contents. But even
if a hacker was able to duplicate the key, then the cloned key
would only be valid for the purchase of a single one tank of gas,
claims the company.

When Speedpass-enabled customers arrive a the McDonald's
drive-thru window, they simply order their food from the menu
board, drive on to the payment window and wave their RFID-equipped
wristwatches or key chains at the Speedpass reader. The
reader/antenna then passes that information onto the appropriate
value added network to verify the customer's profile and credit
information. Upon authentication, the Golden Arches light up to
indicate that the tag is read. The system then automatically bills
purchases to the credit/check card of the customer's choice,
prints a receipt, and the customer is on his way.  There are no
extra fees when using this method of payment.

TI's RFID transponders are available in three configurations:
Read Only (RO), Read/Write (R/W), or Digital Signal Transponder
(DST). The advantage of the Read/Write version is that the memory
on the chip can be written to many times.

TI's Digital Signal Transponder (DST) is the available version of
the product that integrates the technology for enabling wireless
transactions through the use of authentication encryption. With
the DST approach, the antenna is specifically design for each
application to match the read distance between the transponder and
the reader that enables each transaction to occur. The reader then
translates the RF data into electronic data for integration with
PC platforms as well as electronic hosting systems. DST design
applications also provide more memory for system history tracking
and additional authorization, which TI reports can be used to help
prevent fraud-related thefts.

With systems using TI's DST tag technology, the RFID reader sends
any random number (of predetermined length) to the tag, where it
is then scrambled based upon a 40 bit hidden encryption key.  The
use of this process means that only the reader is able to
authenticate the response as originating from a valid tag.

http://www.e-insite.net/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA264143

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/