Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC approves Vivato's wireless network switch

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:09:36 -0500

Vivato W-Fi Switch Approved 

First FCC-Approved Product to 
Combine a Phased Array Antenna with Wi-Fi. 

San Francisco, Calif.
December 16, 2002

Vivato today announced that it has received Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
equipment authorization for its first Wi-Fi switch. The Vivato switch is the first product
to operate under FCC Part 15 rules that combines a phased array antenna with Wi-Fi - a
unique approach that enables the introduction of switching to Wi-Fi and provides higher
capacity at lower costs of ownership than conventional wireless networking.

Vivato's patent-pending PacketSteering™ technology offers a new architecture for wireless
networking that uses narrow, formed beams to send and receive multiple transmissions
simultaneously and extend the range of Wi-Fi from meters to kilometers. Vivato plans to
bring its first product to market in the first quarter of 2003.

"The FCC is supportive of technology innovation that that makes more efficient use of the
unlicensed broadband spectrum," said Phillip Redman, Research Director for Wireless
Networks at Gartner. "Wi-Fi is a fast-growing market and infrastructure equipment will
account for 60 percent of market value in 2007".

"The FCC's certification paves the way for full-scale production of our first Wi-Fi switch
product," said Ken Biba, Vivato's chairman and CEO. "We have a solid list of channel
partners and potential customers who are eager for a product that so dramatically changes
the scale and economics of Wi-Fi."

About Vivato 

Vivato is the inventor and first manufacturer of Wi-Fi switches for enterprises and
service providers designed to enable high bandwidth Wi-Fi wireless networks everywhere: in
the enterprise, across campuses and throughout metropolitan areas. Vivato is headquartered
in San Francisco with a research and development center in Spokane, Wash. For more
information, please visit www.vivato.net or call 415.495.1111.

http://www.vivato.net/press/press12162002.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/