Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Joint Spectrum Policy Update Is Imminent

From: Marcel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:03:14 -0500

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=print_page&doc_id=109318

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<<< Back | Print

www.wirelessweek.com

Joint Spectrum Policy Update Is Imminent

By Mark Rockwell
December 11, 2002
news@2 direct

WASHINGTON--The leaders of the FCC and National
Telecommunications and Information Administration say they plan to issue in the
coming months the first update to their joint oversight of spectrum policy since
the 1940s.

In one of the first formal meetings between FCC Chairman Michael Powell and
NTIA chief Nancy Victory resulting from last spring's spectrum summit, the two
said late Tuesday they would issue a memorandum of understanding detailing the
terms of how the two government agencies will work together to further spectrum
policy. The MOU will incorporate details concerning how the two could capitalize
and coordinate their efforts in the face of advancing technological capabilities
in spectrum.

The MOU is the first produced by the two agencies, which
have been sharing spectrum oversight, since the 1940s, according to the FCC and
NTIA.

The meeting between Victory, whose official title is assistant secretary of
commerce for communications and information, and Powell included senior spectrum
policy teams from NTIA and the FCC. The groups 'explored areas of common focus
and priority,' the FCC and NTIA said in a joint statement. More specifically,
the groups discussed the existing process of government and commercial spectrum
use while trying to curb interference; emerging spectrum access and interference
technologies; alternative licensing schemes; unlicensed uses of spectrum; the
strengths and weaknesses of licensing models and how new models can be
developed.

The next formal meeting between the two teams is slated for the early summer
of 2003.

<<< Back | Print