Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VoIP Closer To Regulatory Treatment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:08:49 -0400

VoIP Closer To Regulatory Treatment

A growing number of state-level agencies charged with defining
how Voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) fits into the regulatory
landscape are beginning to treat the emerging technology like
traditional telephony. Federal regulators may soon follow suit and
draft an order that strips VoIP of its "information service" label,
reclassifying it as a full- blown telecom service. Such a measure
would make VoIP subject to the same regulatory obstacles facing
the rest of the telecom carrier community. Moreover, placement of
a regulatory yoke on VoIP might very well turn what is now a
relatively inexpensive service into a costly one.

The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (MPUC) in
mid-August stunned policy watchers across the nation when it
issued a ruling - the first of its kind in the nation - classifying VoIP
as telecommunications, not an information service. The decision
allows the MPUC to regulate VoIP in virtually the same way as it
regulates traditional telephone service - including imposition of rate
regulation.

At least in Minnesota, regulators allowed the state's premier VoIP
provider Vonage to argue the case for non-regulatory treatment.
The Wisconsin Public Service Commission (WPSC) didn't bother
with such a formality. Regulators there simply sent letters to all
VoIP service providers in the state ordering them to obtain WPSC
certification or face dire consequences.

http://www.telecomweb.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/