Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Telecom Pioneer Craig McCaw to Speak at Potomac Officers Club Luncheon

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:03:51 -0400

Telecom Pioneer Craig McCaw to Speak at Potomac Officers Club Luncheon

September 9, 2003 6:01am

VIENNA, Va., Sept. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- The Potomac Officers Club, a 
non- profit membership organization designed exclusively for area C-
level executives, announced today that Telecom Pioneer Craig McCaw, 
the chairman, CEO and president of Eagle River, will speak at its 
upcoming luncheon event on Wednesday, September 17, 2003. Regarded 
as a pioneer and leader in the wireless communications industry, 
McCaw has been an active entrepreneur and investor in the 
communications industry for over 30 years.

"We are thrilled that Mr. McCaw will share his remarkable life 
stories with our members. He has had a string of entrepreneurial 
success, one of which culminated in the sale of McCaw Cellular to 
AT&T for $12 billion," said Jim Garrettson, founder and president of 
the Potomac Officers Club. "His contribution to the technology and 
telecommunications industry has been significant and enduring to our 
region and nation as a whole. He is truly an industry hero and 
visionary, and we are honored to present the 'POC Star' award to him 
at the event." 

WHAT: (Member-only Event) Telecom Pioneer Craig McCaw To Speak At
Potomac Officers Club Luncheon 

WHEN: Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. 

WHERE: Ritz Carlton, Tysons Corner (1700 Tysons Boulevard, McLean, 
VA) 

Craig O. McCaw is Chairman, CEO and President of Eagle River, a 
private company that focuses on strategic investments in the 
communications industry.

Through Eagle River, McCaw is a controlling shareholder in Nextel 
Communications, Inc., a leading provider of integrated wireless 
communications services, which he successfully reorganized. In 
addition, Eagle River is a controlling shareholder of ICO Global 
Communications (Holdings) Limited, a satellite communications 
company backed by McCaw, Microsoft Founder William H. Gates, III and 
Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, Inc., and a significant shareholder in 
Nextel Partners, Inc., a wireless communications provider that holds 
exclusive rights to provide Nextel's digital wireless communications 
services in small and mid-sized U.S. markets.

Prior to Eagle River, McCaw served as Chairman and Chief Executive 
Officer of McCaw Cellular Communications, Inc., which he built into 
the nation's leading provider of cellular services in more than 100 
U.S. cities, until the company was sold to AT&T Corporation in 
August 1994.

Previously, McCaw served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of 
Twin City Cablevision, which he built into the nation's 20th largest 
cable operator primarily serving the Pacific Northwest region, until 
the company was sold in 1987.

McCaw is Chairman of the Board of Directors for ICO Global 
Communications (Holdings) Limited. He is also a Director of Nextel 
Communications, Inc., RadioFrame Networks, Inc., a private company 
that is a provider of indoor wireless voice and data access 
solutions, and China Unicom Limited, a wireless, long-distance and 
Internet service provider in the People's Republic of China. McCaw 
is also Chairman of the operations committee of Nextel 
Communications, Inc.

McCaw has served as a Director of American Enterprise Institute, 
Ocean Futures Society, OneWorld Challenge Foundation, Conservation 
International and Team Read. Previously, McCaw was also a member of 
the Cellular Telephone Industry Association (CTIA) and the 
President's National Security Telecommunications Advisory Committee 
(NSTAC).

McCaw earned a bachelor's degree in history from Stanford University 
and is currently a member of the Dean's Strategic Council in the 
School of Engineering as well as Co-Chair of the University Campaign 
for Undergraduate Education.

For media interested in attending the event, please contact Michiko 
Morales at 703-751-2596 or [email-masked]. 

To subscribe to the POC newsletter, visit 
www.potomacofficersclub.com/main/newsletter.php. The Potomac 
Officers Club is committed to providing its executive members with 
headline speakers that present headline topics. 

About The Potomac Officers Club:

The Potomac Officers Club is a non-profit membership organization of 
seasoned, CXO-level professionals with successful track records of 
developing high-tech businesses in the Greater Washington area. The 
members meet once per month to network, foster business growth, and 
share business ideas and investment opportunities. The Officers Club 
was created in January 2002 to harness the collective talent of this 
group, thereby leveraging the unique abilities of the region to 
promote continued economic growth and development in the Greater 
Washington area. (The Term "CXO" refers to senior officer positions 
in an organization. These officer positions carry the 
prestigious "Chief" title, as in CEO, CFO, CTO, CMO, etc.) For 
additional information on the club or to apply call 703-752-7451 or 
visit its website at www.potomacofficersclub.com.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-09-2003/0002013406&EDATE=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/