Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FBI says it can't infiltrate al-Qaeda

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:36:42 -0400

Posted 9/11/2003 9:00 AM     Updated 9/11/2003 12:46 PM

FBI says it can't infiltrate al-Qaeda
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-09-10-fbi_x.htm

By Kevin Johnson and Toni Locy, USA TODAY WASHINGTON — The FBI has concluded that
it may never be able to plant undercover agents inside al-Qaeda, and so agents are
focusing more on recruiting terror operatives as informants and on continuing to
get details from those already in custody.

The FBI's move, described to USA TODAY by top law enforcement officials who asked
not to be identified, reflects the difficulties in meeting some of the goals that
U.S.  officials set for terrorism investigators.

Among the most damning criticisms of U.S. intelligence after 9/11 was that agents
had not seen the attacks coming because they had not infiltrated Osama bin Laden's
terror network. Since then, the FBI has made recruiting Arab and Muslim agents a
priority.
But law enforcement officials say that al-Qaeda's radical Muslim culture and its
strict recruiting process — which often requires life-threatening demonstrations
of loyalty —have made it difficult for U.S. agents to get inside the network. "The
risks are too great," said a former top FBI official who asked not to be
identified. (The CIA won't comment on its activities regarding al-Qaeda.)

The FBI officials say that religious and cultural differences make infiltrating
al-Qaeda a greater challenge than getting inside the American mafia, which took
the FBI decades to do. Recruits usually don't go to al-Qaeda, it finds them —often
in radical mosques.
Overseas, interviews with captured al-Qaeda operatives have helped to identify
other operatives. In the USA, 132 people have been convicted in the anti-terror
effort. They include more than a half-dozen associates of al-Qaeda who were
convicted of aiding alleged terror cells in Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle and
Portland, Ore., and who are cooperating with authorities.

The former FBI official says interviews with people linked to al-Qaeda have helped
authorities identify about 100 suspected al-Qaeda sympathizers in the USA. The FBI
thinks they could be involved in fundraising and recruiting, and it has them under
surveillance. There is no evidence they are planning any attacks, officials say.

The FBI also is examining suspected al-Qaeda recruiting efforts among radical
Muslims in prisons. And the bureau now has a clearinghouse for reports about
suspicious activity near government buildings.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/