Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Largent has celebrity endorser links to McCaw Cellular

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:07:10 -0400

Largent has celebrity endorser links to McCaw Cellular
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
September 25 12:28:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—When Stephen Largent was chosen as the new president of the Cellular &
Telecommunications Association, his only connection to the wireless industry
appeared to be as a former member of the House telecom subcommittee, but John
Stanton, chairman, director and chief executive officer of Western Wireless Corp.,
told RCR Wireless News Wednesday that Largent’s association with wireless goes
back to his days as a star wide receiver for the Seattle Seahawks of the National
Football League.

“Steve actually was involved some in our wireless business in Seattle. When we
first introduced coverage when I was running McCaw Cellular between Seattle and
Portland, Ore., we named that service ‘The Wide Receiver Program,’ and Steve
endorsed that program for us. Steve has known, been involved in and been a great
fan of the wireless industry for almost 17 years. When Steve was an NFL player and
was endorsing the product, he insisted on knowing exactly what we were doing and
understanding it. Before he put his name on that product, he wanted to be certain
he was comfortable associating himself with our company and that product, and he
did a terrific job for us,” said Stanton.

Stanton talked to RCR Wireless News during a break in a House telecommunications
subcommittee hearing on the universal service fund.

As a self-admitted fan of outgoing CTIA President Thomas Wheeler, Stanton brushed
off the suggestion that his role and/or stature within CTIA would change.

“I don’t know that my role has anything to do with the leadership. I have been in
the industry and in the association for almost 20 years. I expect it is just
because I have been around a long time that people perceive whatever role I have.
I knew the first president, Bob Mayer, and I have been an enormous fan of Tom
Wheeler. I think the industry has benefited tremendously from his leadership, and
I have known Steve Largent for 20 years, and I know he will do a great job,” said
Stanton.

Stanton believes Largent is ready to face whatever comes his way as CTIA
president.
Largent is scheduled to begin his tenure at CTIA Nov. 1.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15236

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/