Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wi-Fi Funding Still Climbing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:24:22 -0400

9/15/03

Wi-Fi Funding Still Climbing

Venture funding for Wi-Fi technology startups increased during the second quarter
this year to $172 million spread across 24 companies from$123 million for 20
companies during the first quarter. Rutberg & Co. analysts report that funding
continues to shift from semiconductors and management products to systems, both
for enterprises and for carriers. Plus, several companies developing
802.11-enabling software received funding.
An uncertainty concerning the timing for horizontal wireless LAN adoption in large
enterprises continues over the market. Rutberg's "2Q03 Wireless Update" indicates
barriers including the IT spending environment, ease of wireless LAN deployment
and management, and security uncertainties and complexities. Rutberg analysts,
however, aren't buying security issues as an actual impediment.  They say security
is "more of an excuse, perhaps based on perceived rather than real risk." Instead,
it looks like the conservative IT spending environment is the primary barrier to
wireless LAN deployments.

For more on the Wi-Fi space and other hot topics in wireless data,
visit Communications Today's sister publication, Wireless Data
News. For subscription information, visit the "newsstand" at
http://www.TelecomWeb.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
ReplayTV: Control live television
Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV
CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aUMW7B/A6qGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/