Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Iraq mobile-phone bids under review

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 18:56:42 -0400

Iraq mobile-phone bids under review
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
September 02 14:04:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—Bids for mobile-phone licenses to serve three regions of Iraq are
currently being reviewed by a panel established by the Coalition Provisional
Authority with a decision expected sometime this month and service to be turned on
in November, said a top Pentagon official Aug. 29.

“The CPA has received a substantial number of bids for licenses—sufficient to
ensure a strong competitive process.  Because this competition for operating
licenses is being conducted by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications
and does not involve the use of U.S.-appropriated funds, U.S. procurement law does
not apply. However, many of the principles of the U.S. Federal Acquisition
Regulation are being used,” said Linton Wells II, deputy to the assistant Defense
secretary for networks and information integration. ”It is the intent that this
competition will be conducted in a fair and transparent matter, based upon the
guidance contained in the Request for Proposals. A panel with strong Iraqi
representation is now analyzing the bids. The goal will be to provide best value
for the Iraqi people. On completing of the source selection process, the goal will
be for Ambassador Paul Bremmer to announce license winners next month.”

Wells gave the telecommunications keynote address at the Rebuilding Iraq
Conference held in Arlington, Va. His speech was carried live on C-SPAN.

It is Wells’ view that less regulation will promote innovation. “Less regulation
would allow for greater innovation, and ultimately higher performance from the
telecommunications sector. The general conclusion from experiences in the
developing world and post-wartime environments elsewhere is that less regulation
may be better than more in Iraq,” he said. “What is most important is ensuring
that the regulatory framework effectively meets the needs of the Iraqi people and
the services they require.”

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14915

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/