Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nevada Update-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:24:17 -0400

August 5, 2003

III. GRANTS UPDATE

Mark Blomstrom mentioned that Tim Ritter from the Dept of Justice/Treasurer has
sent a CD of the complete engineering plans, layout and description of the Feds
wireless system. Copies were distributed to the Technical Subcommittee and Mark
mentioned that anyone wishing a copy should contact him or Maggie Thorne directly.

Mark also mentioned that in talking with Lou Amell (City of LV Fire) and Dave
Edwards (Clark City IT) two grants have been rewarded to these organizations. Both
Dave Edwards and Lou Amell discussed the scope of each grant to the group in
detail.
Terry mentioned that one issue that has surfaced that has not been fully resolved
is that of who should review communication grants. Under the Homeland Security
Committee there is a Grants Subcommittee and under NCSC there is the Technical
Subcommittee. What we need to do is to come up with a methodology for getting the
input from the Technical subcommittee to the Grants Subcommittee without delaying
the process in order to assist the Grants Subcommittee in their decision process.
Terry asked for some ideas or recommendations. Freeman Johnson mentioned he is a
member of the Grants Subcommittee and said it would be useful for this group to
have some technical input to address interconnectivity, interoperability and
feasibilities issues. Robert Chisel mentioned that for anything to work it would
have to be a process of the NCSC to make those decisions, not individuals which
may have a bias. A “Technical Deadline” would need to be established with the
Grants Subcommittee. Terry said that he and Mark would put together a draft
process and bring to the next NCSC meeting for consideration. James Spinello asked
if Terry could send the draft process to the members before the next meeting and
Terry said he would try. James also asked that a list of members on the Grants
Subcommittee be distributed to NCSC and Technical Subcommittee members. Maggie
Thorne would handle distributing that information. Freeman Johnson said it would
be appropriate for Terry to get in touch with either Dick Mirgon or Richard
Brenner who are the Chairs of that Committee to give them a heads up on what this
Committee had discussed today. Terry agreed to do so.

IV. COMMUNICATION INTEROPERABILITY PLAN

Terry distributed a two-page hand out on the Communications Interoperability Plan
that was mandated by AB441. The document provided a project timeline for the
preparation of such a Plan to be completed by July 2004 in time for budget
considerations. It was agreed that a process for voting as a group in making
decisions for the Plan must be developed prior to discussing the Plan.

It was mentioned that perhaps the group should look at the Frank Thatcher Study
(interoperability portion only) a starting point in preparing the plan.
Mark will pull together the history that is available, including the Thatcher
Study, and send it to NCSC and the Technical Subcommittee.

Terry requested that the members exchange (email) thoughts on the voting process
(ie should it be majority, 2/3 thirds, or elaborate combination) and it will be an
agenda item for the next meeting. Dennis Cobb was suggested to have members vote
twice –one vote proportionally and then one vote per agency. Terry asked that he
put this recommendation in writing and e-mail it to him.

III. DISCUSSION OF VENDOR PRESENTATIONS

Terry asked for thoughts on vendor presentations. It was agreed and made policy
that the Technical Subcommittee should review vendors and make recommendations to
NCSC when deemed appropriate.

IV. TECHNICAL SUBCOMMITTEE STATUS REPORT

Jim Wilson indicated that the Committee did not meet last month. He did mention
that he would be attending the Communications Conference in Indianapolis and would
bring information back with him to present to the Tech Subcommittee. Jim also
mentioned he sent Mark an article on Project25. Anyone interested in receiving
this information should contact Jim Wilson. The magazine website for the article
is www.iwce-mrt.com
Jim also indicated he would continue to filter information on interoperability to
NCSC.

Jim further made the recommendation that the Subcommittee create a roadmap of
microwave currently in place and microwave looking to go in place through grants,
to include fiber (i.e., transport layer, connectivity), so that we don’t duplicate
tax payer money on future expansion of microwave. Terry agreed that would be
great.

VI MEMBER UPDATES AND COORDINATION

Sheriff Neil Harris distributed a report on Elko County’s Radio System and
reviewed the document with the group. Copies of this report is available through
Maggie Thorne at the Department of Information Technology

http://ncsc.nv.gov/ncsc/NCSC_Minutes_080503.pdf

=========================================================================================================================================================================

III. DISCUSSION OF Project 25 (P25) STANDARDS
Jim Wilson, Chairman of the Technical Subcommittee, discussed Project 25.  Mr.
Wilson distributed a document he downloaded from the P25 website.
(www.project25.org) He explained that P25 is a user driven effort to develop
digital standards for wireless communication users.  P25 addresses such issues as
backward compatibility and graceful migration, scalable trunked and conventional
capabilities, spectral efficiency and interoperability.  He said that P25 have
been adopted by the Department of Justice for 2004.  It has also been adopted by
the FCC, but not mandated.

Mr. Savage asked the Technical Subcommittee to analyze P25 and come back to the
committee with observations and more detail on what it is, what it isn’t and how
much it would cost the State.  Mr. Wilson said that he would report back in layman
terms at the next meeting.

Ken Adams from DoIT agreed to speak on the phases of the state microwave system.
Phase One established digital service that runs from Reno, to Carson, to Las
Vegas.   Phase 2, which is currently being worked on, will provide connectivity
from Vegas to Ely. Mr. Adams said it basically is the “highway” that all radio
systems run over.  In this phase there will be enhancements to 9 sites – 6 would
be infrastructure upgrades and 3 would be new.  Glendale, Mt. Wilson and Ella Mt
would be new.  Upgrades would included:  Grant Sawyer Building, Apex Peak, Beaver
Dam, Cave Mt, Squaw Peak, and Ryan Service Center.  Phase 3 funding has been
requested and appears to be funded for this upcoming biennium.  Full project
completion is still several years away, but each phase is placed in operation as
it is completed.  This microwave system is available for use by all government
agencies statewide.

VII. LEGISLATIVE UPDATED

Mr. Savage discussed the passage of AB441 and how there had been 4 security bills
introduced this session.  AB441 and SB175 (a DoIT introduced security bill) merged
together with an Executive Branch Commission rather than a Legislative Branch
Commission.  Robert Chisel expressed a concerned with Sections 30 and 31 and asked
if they were deleted.  Mr. Savage indicated they were still a part of the bill but
the implementation dates were changed to July 1, 2005.  That would not have any
affect until the next session, and could be amended at that time if necessary.

Mark spoke on SB499 that addresses making an appropriation to IFC in regards to
Dept of Public Safety radio communication.  It has passed both houses and is
headed to the Governor for signature.  This appropriation of funds would allow DPS
to migrate to the 700/800 MHz Dept of Transportation’s shared system.  The bill
passed with the appropriation going to the Interim Finance Committee (IFC) in
order that DPS can go to IFC, and with a showing of need and a plan, get authority
to use the funds.

http://doit.nv.gov/NCSC/NCSC_Minutes_060303.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/