Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Informational Material—Local and Regional Interoperability Solutions Map

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:25:24 -0400

Informational Material—Local and Regional Interoperability Solutions Map

 INTRODUCTION

Local and regional public safety personnel depend on reliable radio communications
to save lives and safeguard property.  Increasingly, these first responders are
from different agencies, often resulting in challenges to effective communications
interoperability.  Despite these challenges, public safety agencies continue to
develop and implement solutions to address interoperability.  In various parts of
the country, public safety agencies are joining together to implement solutions
that address their radio communications challenges.  These solutions have
connected disparate systems and, as a result, narrowed the communications gap that
can hinder effective incident response.

To facilitate a greater understanding and awareness of these solutions, the Public
Safety Wireless Network (PSWN) Program, a joint initiative sponsored by the
Department of Justice and the Department of the Treasury, has developed this Local
and Regional Interoperability Solutions Map.  Although this map is not intended to
provide an exhaustive list of solutions in the field, it offers a representative
snapshot of the diverse set of interoperability solutions employed by local and
regional first responders across the Nation.  This map not only illustrates the
areas of the country implementing the various solutions identified by the PSWN
Program, but also explains appropriate uses of the solutions and provides examples
of how different agencies with specific communications challenges have used these
solutions to improve their own communications interoperability.  In turn, public
safety agencies in search of the “right” interoperability solution may be able to
use the map as a guide to improve their own communications capabilities.

The layout of this map was chosen to facilitate ease of use and understanding.
The interoperability solutions are grouped together under a broader description
according to their primary solution type (i.e., multiple subscriber units, shared
channels, interconnects, and standards-based systems).  The symbols (i.e., ?, ?,
?, and o) on the map indicate where each technical solution is employed.  The
icons act as visual cues to the relative cost, degree of security, ease of
implementation, spectrum efficiency, and coordination requirements associated with
each technical solution.  The description of these icons is as follows—

Cost
       Indicates the solution requires purchasing relatively little new equipment
or infrastructure
       Indicates the solution requires purchasing significant equipment or
infrastructure

Security
       Indicates the solution may introduce additional security risks into the
system
       Indicates the solution may provide greater security than the existing
system
 Implementation
       Indicates the solution requires basic operational changes
       Indicates the solution requires significant labor and time due to its
technical complexity

Spectrum Efficiency
       Indicates the solution uses existing spectrum more efficiently
       Indicates the solution requires additional spectrum

Coordination
       Indicates the solution requires little or no additional coordination with
other agencies
       Indicates the solution requires additional agreements with other agencies

The PSWN Program works in partnership with officials from local, state, federal,
and tribal governments to improve wireless interoperability among the Nation’s law
enforcement, fire, and emergency medical services.  The program conducts pilot
projects and symposiums nationwide, and provides comprehensive information on
wireless interoperability.  For additional information and resources, contact the
PSWN Program at 1-800-565-PSWN, via e-mail at [email-masked], or visit the
Web site at www.pswn.gov.  We also invite you to contact us to share your unique
interoperability solutions with the program and your fellow first responders.

 See: Attachment

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/