Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Scanner Crack Down

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:24:44 -0400

KSFY-TV
300 North Dakota Ave., Suite 100
Sioux Falls, SD 57104

Scanner Crack Down

Before you buy or use a scanner there is something you should know: if it's not
being used correctly you could be breaking the law. The law prohibiting unlawful
use of scanners has been around since the sixties, and police in Aberdeen want
people to know that it's still in effect. And if people are caught using a scanner
unlawfully, police will take it.

Officers use scanners to help them do their job, and police want to make sure
people aren't abusing them to keep them from their work. Aberdeen Police Sergeant
Jay Tobin explains they are not just cracking down for the fun of it, "It's a
safety issue and to help us do our job so people can't leave the scene before we
get there." He points out that anyone can have a scanner - it's where and how they
use it that matters. "We've seen more in vehicles now and we're letting people
know that there is a law that does exists that says they can be confiscated if we
find them in a vehicle without a permit."

The law says that anyone can have a scanner in their home, but it is illegal to
use one in a motor vehicle or a business without a permit. Even people who sell
scanners aren't sure about the law. The manager at Radio Shack in Aberdeen says
that a lot of people do buy scanners, many of them use the scanners in their cars
when they go on trips or go camping. But the law is clear - this is illegal.

Police want people to know they are not actively out looking for illegal scanners,
but if they are found police say they will take them. Sgt. Tobin says they are
more interested in cracking down on those who abuse scanners, "If they are mobile,
especially they are used to evade or avoid law enforcement and their efforts to do
their job."

So far Aberdeen police haven't confiscated any scanners. They want people to know
the law so that doesn't have to happen.

http://www.ksfy.com/global/story.asp?s=1457912

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Smith, William E. (US-BKTN-Telecom)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:24:00 -0400

Back in the early 90's a friend of mine was stopped by the NY State
Police for inadvertently testing the acceleration potential of his
vehicle on a public way. When stopped, he was asked about the scanner in
his car. Did he know they were illegal in NY? "No, but I guess I know
now."  "maybe you should put it in the trunk until you leave the state."
No ticket and only a warning for the speed.
 
I spent a lot of time driving through NY several years ago and never had
a problem despite seven antennas on my Bronco. I was stopped by a local
cop in North Salem NY, a former girlfriend's home town, and asked if I
was lost. The radios were on and I was listening to NYC fire. He didn't
say a word about them. The pile consisted of a low band X9000, Bearcat
760 scanner, Two VHF and Two UHF Spectra's with all but the X9000 in the
center console. 

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it, are confidential to National Grid and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the National Grid USA Enterprise Support Center on 508-389-3375 or 315-428-6360.