Subject: [NEXTEL-1] A new train of thought

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:00:14 -0400

A new train of thought

A well-maintained, punctual train
service with dynamic on-board
customer information, operating
seamlessly throughout Europe.
This might seem like fantasy
when you're waiting on a
freezing cold platform for your
delayed service home, but
TrainCom will demonstrate how
they aim to make it reality.

This IST programme-funded project
is developing and testing a reliable
train-ground communications system, which integrates GSM radio
links and Internet technologies to allow trans-European fleet
maintenance, remote traction control and dynamic passenger
information.

On-board train communications exist in different Member States
but differ from operator to operator even within countries. "A major
part of what we have been doing has focused on interoperability
and the harmonisation of different systems across countries,
companies and technologies," explained TrainCom's evaluation
manager Paolo Umiliacchi. "What we have been doing is to pull
together most of Europe's stakeholders and try to get agreement
on a standard infrastructure."

As TrainCom ends, it is currently testing its prototype systems in
both lab and real conditions. The project has two demonstration
events planned for September. Different aspects of the project will
be demonstrated later in the year.

The railway open maintenance system on trial
The railway open maintenance system will be presented on 16
September in Milan. The demonstration will show how the
train-ground radio links with integrated on-board network and
ground systems to support multiple applications related to the
maintenance of railway vehicle fleets.

The laboratory demonstration will use a prototype with interface
simulated functions based on RoMain - a maintenance system
which can download diagnostic data from on-board devices, link
them to suitable documentation and allow advance scheduling of
maintenance activities.

The prototype makes it possible to access a configuration and a
diagnostic database, and display the status of the train on a
screen. TrainCom's work in this area is currently being developed
further by IST project EuRoMain.

Demonstrating locomotive interoperability
On 25 September, in Vienna, an Austrian push-pull train will be
used to demonstrate the remote control of locomotives using the
train bus to link two different locomotives, or a locomotive and a
steering coach, a vehicle without its own engine but with a driver
cab. The locomotive and the other vehicle will be separated by up
to 800m of coaches, but the system will allow trains to change
direction in the station remotely, without the need for locomotives
to be decoupled and re-coupled.

Tests will be run during normal operations, to show the time saving
and economic benefits of interoperability, gain feedback from
drivers and demonstrate the impact of the system on operating
procedures.

"We have contributed to the complete specification of a remote
control system and are hopeful that it will become standard across
Europe. This demonstration will provide evidence that the protocol
is really working. We want to go in the direction of a
Trans-European railway network," commented Umiliacchi.

A second event, planned in Italy later in the year, will use different
makes of locomotive and a different train composition to show the
interoperability of the TrainCom protocols.

Plans are afoot amongst project partners to develop and
commercialise products developed during the project. Project
coordinators Siemens have already said that the next generation of
train communications systems they develop will incorporate
TrainCom technology. A new truly connected European rail network
appears to be on track.

Contact:
Paolo Umiliacchi
TrainCom Evaluation Manager
CNC - Via G. di Vittorio 16
I-40013 Castel Maggiore (BO)
Italy
Tel: +39-348-4121661
Fax: +39-051-6329777
E-mail: [email-masked]
Source: Based on information from TrainCom

http://www.istresults.info/index.cfm?section=news&tpl=news&ID=1668

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/