Subject: [NEXTEL-1] twowayradio.blogspot.htm

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 01:31:48 -0400

Two Way Radio Directory Web Log

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

            get rid of this ad | advertise here

Two Way Radio Directory Web Log
A web log edited by Rik Rasmussen of TwoWayRadioDirectory.com. This web log
(blog) will log my comments, tips, interesting web sites concerning Two Way
Radio and other wireless technologies and industires.

Friday, September 05, 2003
The Nextel plan to realign the 800 MHz band and the introduction of Push To
Talk by Verizon are probably the hottest topics in the industry this year. I
find it interesting that Warren Buffet has provided funding to Nextel. While
I have found Nextel's tactics to be devious over the years, I admire the
advances in technology they brought to market in direct response to
supplying a demand that was not being served by the mom and pop radio shops.

The Verizon PTT offering is probably the start of this feature being
available from most carriers. I am ceratin these carriers will take some of
the mom and pop's customer base. The survivability of the small radio
providers is certainly questionable.

Public Safety is rapidly moving toward trunking systems that are only
slightly distinguishable form the iDEN used by Nextel. All of these new
technologies are meeting the demand for portable radio coverage with a
combination of group and direct communications.

Portable coverage is expensive to provide, requires networked multiple site
systems and is a primary factor in the demise of the small radio operator.
Additionally, the lack of standardization requires that a small shop touch
every radio of every customer when a system upgrade is made. This can be a
prohibitively expensive endeavor.

As much as I have loved being a part of the independent radio shop industry
for the past 40 years, I belive it is in the winter of its life cycle.

// posted by Rik @ 1:31 AM
Monday, September 01, 2003
I find one of the most valuable things on the internet to be Yahoo groups.
These email and online discussion groups allow us to share information,
tips, and items for sale. I have included here, links to some of my favorite
web sites and yahoo groups.

// posted by Rik @ 9:52 PM
Using this blog format, I will be sharing my comments on the state of the
Two Way Radio industry, with particular attention on the small independent
radio shop operator.

I also will be commenting on other wireless technologies including iDEN
(Nextel), WLAN's, microwave, public safety systems, public carriers and most
anything I find interesting.

// posted by Rik @ 9:30 PM

Links
  a.. Rik Rasmussen's personal blog
a.. Two Way Radio Directory
a.. Radios4sale - sell/buy radios here
a.. SmartNet - discuss SmartNet trunking
a.. TrunkingForum - discuss all types of trunking
a.. LMR- discuss Land Mobile Radio
a.. Nextel-1- discuss Nextel and wireless
a.. PrivateWirelessForum - discuss all things wireless
a.. wirelesslan- discuss wireless lans
ARCHIVES
  a.. 09/01/2003 - 09/30/2003