Subject: [NEXTEL-1] EFJ- The Other P-25 Vendor On The Alaska Project-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:19:49 -0400

EFJ- The Other P-25 Vendor On The Alaska Project-
EFJohnson Successfully Demonstrates Interoperability Of Its Radios On The Alaska
Land Mobile Radio System

Washington DC – September 19, 2003-- EFJ, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: EFJI)
announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, EFJohnson Company, has successfully
demonstrated interoperability of its radios on the Alaska Land Mobile Radio system
(ALMR). Officials from the State of Alaska demonstrated the capability of
EFJohnson 5100 series portable and 5300 series mobile radios to work on ALMR, the
first VHF Project 25 Wide Area Trunked system. ALMR is a joint effort between the
State of Alaska and the Department of Defense.

When fully implemented, ALMR will support more than 13,000 subscribers and will
provide a single shared statewide trunk radio system using the latest APCO Project
25 digital technology. It will combine available federal and state public-safety
radio spectrum for use on the shared trunk radio system. This system will
eventually replace many different radio systems throughout the state that cannot
communicate with each other.

The state’s aging equipment cannot be upgraded and has become increasingly more
expensive to maintain. In addition to the need to replace aging equipment, federal
agencies are faced with a National Telecommunications & Information Administration
(NTIA) mandate that requires all VHF/UHF federal land mobile radios to be replaced
or upgraded to narrowband between 2005 and 2008.

“We are gratified by the outcome of this evaluation and excited by the opportunity
it presents,” said Michael E. Jalbert, EFJ, Inc. chairman and chief executive
officer. “EFJohnson has long been a proponent of Project 25 standards and we are
proud to be able to support the State of Alaska and the Federal Government in
their efforts to achieve statewide interoperability.”
“The successful testing of multiple vendors' P25 subscriber equipment on our
system will be one of the key milestones for the concept demonstration phase of
the project," said Jack Phelps, ALMR Project Manager. "We were very encouraged by
the initial interoperability demonstration provided by EFJohnson. We expect that
EFJohnson's entry into the marketplace will promote needed competition among
suppliers and will begin to fulfill the promise originally set forth when we chose
P25 as our standard.”

Celebrating its 80th anniversary in 2003, EFJohnson provides digital Project 25
compliant interoperable wireless communications systems solutions for federal,
state and local agencies involved with homeland security and public safety.
EFJohnson was one of the first developers of wireless communications products to
be fully compliant with federal government interoperability specifications. The
company designs, manufactures and markets conventional and trunked radio systems,
land mobile radio repeaters and mobile and portable radios. For more information,
visit www.efjohnson.com.

http://www.efji.com/news_pop_up.asp?ArticleID=176
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/