Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Play Noderunner ~~> Saturday @ City Hall Park

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:01:17 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: YuryG <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Play Noderunner ~~> Saturday @ City Hall Park

So it's that time of the year again to play Noderunner, the game that 
turns city streets and WiFi networks into a play spaces. Truly a game 
for geeks.  We'll play this Saturday 1-3pm  and meet at City Hall Park 
as part of the NYCWireless art event, 
http://www.nycwireless.net/labdays/ .

Everyone is happily invited to play but so we have a sense of how many 
runners to expect please rsvp to [email-masked] .  
Otherwise, show up with your game faces on!

For up-to-date info and to watch this Saturday's live game goto:
http://www.noderunner.com/cityhallpark.html
send questions to:
[email-masked]

---------------------------------~~~>

PLAYING NODERUNNER~ CITY HALL PARK

WHAT DO YOU NEED TO PLAY?
1)  a WiFi enabled laptop, or a friend with one
2)  a digital camera or webcam (that quickly downloads images to this 
laptop), or a friend with one
3)  wireless scanning software* on the laptop, that shows signal 
strength and the MAC* addresses of access points
4)  feisty competitive spirit

HOW DO YOU PLAY?
1) Meet at 1pm at City Hall Park for a briefing, to finalize the teams, 
and to start the game.
2)  2 Teams will race against each other and the clock to connect to as 
many wireless hotspots as possible.
3)  Once a team connects to an open access point they take a picture of 
themselves at that location for proof.
4)  Then the runners use that access point, and only that access point, 
to email headquarters their photo, with a little note of the rough 
street address or cross streets.
5)  The photo's filename should be saved as the MAC* address of the AP. 
  A hotspot can only be counted one time per team, so a team needs to 
constantly find new hotspots.  But both teams can use the same hotspot 
for points.
6)  Headquarters will keep a live and running scoreboard of the 
photographs online, so everyone can see the game unfold.
7)  The team with the most photos wins the game!

THINGS TO GIVE U AN EGDE:
1) a mix of nerdy and streetwise friends and teammates
2) fully charged laptop batteries
3) external antennas (this is fair play ; )
4) practice ahead of time syncing your camera with the laptop--this 
process can slow you down and the clock is always ticking...
5) a full stomach, running the city can wear you out

--------------------------------------------------------

*Technical notes
Scanning Software:
Wireless Scanning software allows users to see all of the hotspots in 
one's area.  It's particularly good for moving through a city and 
trying to find wireless networks.  Yes, most Windows, Mac, and Linux 
laptops already have scanning features built into them but they are 
limited and often don't show a lot of info, like the accurate signal 
strength and MAC address of an access point.  So below is a short list 
of some of the most popular scanning software. Download and install one 
of these your laptop or PDA your noderunning with with.

Mac OS X
http://www.macstumbler.com/
iStumbler
http://www.istumbler.net/
KisMAC
http://www.binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/

WINDOWS
NetStumbler
http://www.netstumbler.com

POCKET PC
PocketWarrior
http://www.pocketwarrior.org/

LINUX
Kismet
http://www.kismetwireless.net/

MAC Address:
A MAC address is a unique address that each wireless node or wireless 
card has.  Scanning software will tell you what the MAC address of a 
wireless node is.

Photos:
The photos you send should be an average of 150k in file size.
Photos larger then 400k will not be used or counted.  --please adjust 
your camera or laptop setting ahead of time to make sure you send web 
friendly photos.  There will be people on hand at the event to help you 
set this up if you have trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------
a video and intro to the game
http://noderunner.com/node_techtvt.mov
the original site:
www.noderunner.com
--------------------------------------------------------

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy quality ink cartridges & refill kit. Remanufactured & Refills for:
HP $8-20, Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15. FREE shipping over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6347
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lB7L3D/k5uGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/