Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Saïd Business School, Oxford- Community and Mobility: Living with the technologies of remote communication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:39:34 -0400

Community and Mobility: Living with the technologies of remote communication

9.30am - 17.30pm Thurs 2nd October
Saïd Business School, Oxford

Keynote Speaker: John Urry
Professor of Sociology, University of Lancaster

Chair: Dr Nina Wakeford
Director of INCITE, University of Surrey

The uses of mobile phones, email and chat rooms help strengthen relationships and
give people unprecedented access to
communities of interest. But what will be the effect on face-to-face relationships
at neighbourhood level? If the technologies stimulate connections between people
who have something in common, does this imply fewer serendipitous encounters, less
diversity, and less social capital? Do we retreat in cliques within the virtual
equivalent of gated houses and condominiums - the contact lists on our mobiles
functioning as electronic barriers to new encounters and cross-cultural
experience? Or do these new technologies provide new opportunities for the
creation of links at the local level? Does this mean the 'loss of community', and
if so, does it matter? This conference will draw on academic and practitioner
expertise to explore such issues in a policy context.

 http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/conference_021003.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/