Subject: [NEXTEL-1] TELRIC Proceeding Could End Powell's Chairmanship

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 04:57:43 -0400

TELRIC Proceeding Could End Powell's Chairmanship

Sep 15, 2003

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell may be about to
wander into territory even more dangerous than the rocky landscape
surrounding the agency's recently completed Triennial Review Order (TRO).
The Powell-led FCC seems determined to rewrite the rules for wholesale
pricing of incumbent local exchange carriers' (ILECs') unbundled network
elements (UNEs).

Last week, the agency issued a far-reaching Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
(NPRM), signaling a willingness by regulators to agree with the Regional
Bell Operating Companies (RBOCs) and other ILECs who contend the FCC's
pricing methodology -- known as TELRIC (an acronym for "total element
long-range incremental cost") -- is out of touch with reality.

It will likely take the better part of a year or more for the FCC to
complete the TELRIC proceeding, but the process has the potential of
reshaping the telecom sector. In fact, it may very well reshape the current
makeup of the FCC itself. Powell is already under attack from various
segments of the mainstream media for the starring role he played in the
agency's controversial revamp of the media ownership rules. In fact, some
mainstream op/ed writers are now calling for his resignation (most recently
Business Week). If he fails to get what he wants in the TELRIC proceeding,
it may be his undoing.

http://www.wirelesstoday.com/index.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/