Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Emailing: twowayradio.blogspot.htm

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 01:50:54 -0400

Two Way Radio Directory Web Log

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

            get rid of this ad | advertise here

Two Way Radio Directory Web Log
A web log edited by Rik Rasmussen of TwoWayRadioDirectory.com. This web log
(blog) will log my comments, tips, interesting web sites concerning Two Way
Radio and other wireless technologies and industires.

Sunday, September 07, 2003
It was nice today while I first waited for an oil change and then waited for
my wife and daughter to join me at Applebee's, and then waited for my wife
to shop in Target, to be able to get some work done using my laptop and the
Verizon 1xRTT service.

Going from a cold boot up to online is quick and easy. You can not use the
card's phone capability while connected as a modem.

The included software allows sending and receiving of emails using the
[email-masked] email address.

By using a FREE web site called mail2web I am able to retrieve my emails and
reply from my own home email address. mail2web is a great service to use for
remote mail pickup. Unlike Yahoo's remote pop mail, it uses your regular isp
provided email address. Unlike my ISP's provided web mail capability
mail2web also let's you set up an addressbook. It handles attachments,
forwarding and cc and bcc well. They have a beta site that seems faster than
their old site. Try it out: http://beta.mail2web.com/

// posted by Rik @ 1:50 AM
Last week, I acquired for my a?oday joba?? one of the new Verizon Wireless
1xRTT PCMCIA cards for my laptop computer.

The card is a Sierra 555 that works as a wireless modem and also as a
digital cell phone if you plug in an ear bud/microphone.

A few minutes after taking it out of the box, I was online and surfing the
net, checking emails, the INDN forums, etc.

My wife picked me up at my office and while she drove us home at 60 mph, I
was replying to emails.

I downloaded a 449k file in 35 seconds. Not bad for wireless.

This is the technology I have long waited for. Back in the 80a?Ts I was the
Sales Manager for the local Cellular One system. We had a few customers who
were excited to be able to get speeds of 1000k/sec! After all many of them
were still using 1200 k modems at home.

I moderate 21 Yahoo groups, manage several web sites, my portal, and use
email in my work, just as I am sure many of you do. Now, I can hit the road
and not have to worry about access and keeping up my obligations on the web.

There are some limitations. The Internet access only works in Verizon
markets, even though the cell phone will roam. But still, I should be able
to use it when I visit my daughter in Seattle.

So, if you have put off starting a web portal, blog, web site, or yahoo
group because you travel, check out the new generation of wireless cards.

// posted by Rik @ 1:40 AM
Friday, September 05, 2003
The Nextel plan to realign the 800 MHz band and the introduction of Push To
Talk by Verizon are probably the hottest topics in the industry this year. I
find it interesting that Warren Buffet has provided funding to Nextel. While
I have found Nextel's tactics to be devious over the years, I admire the
advances in technology they brought to market in direct response to
supplying a demand that was not being served by the mom and pop radio shops.

The Verizon PTT offering is probably the start of this feature being
available from most carriers. I am ceratin these carriers will take some of
the mom and pop's customer base. The survivability of the small radio
providers is certainly questionable.

Public Safety is rapidly moving toward trunking systems that are only
slightly distinguishable from the iDEN used by Nextel. All of these new
technologies are meeting the demand for portable radio coverage with a
combination of group and direct communications.

Portable coverage is expensive to provide, requires networked multiple site
systems and is a primary factor in the demise of the small radio operator.
Additionally, the lack of standardization requires that a small shop touch
every radio of every customer when a system upgrade is made. This can be a
prohibitively expensive endeavor.

As much as I have loved being a part of the independent radio shop industry
for the past 40 years, I belive it is in the winter of its life cycle.

// posted by Rik @ 1:31 AM
Monday, September 01, 2003
I find one of the most valuable things on the internet to be Yahoo groups.
These email and online discussion groups allow us to share information,
tips, and items for sale. I have included here, links to some of my favorite
web sites and yahoo groups.

// posted by Rik @ 9:52 PM
Using this blog format, I will be sharing my comments on the state of the
Two Way Radio industry, with particular attention on the small independent
radio shop operator.

I also will be commenting on other wireless technologies including iDEN
(Nextel), WLAN's, microwave, public safety systems, public carriers and most
anything I find interesting.

// posted by Rik @ 9:30 PM

Links
  a.. Rik Rasmussen's personal blog
a.. Two Way Radio Directory
a.. Radios4sale - sell/buy radios here
a.. SmartNet - discuss SmartNet trunking
a.. TrunkingForum - discuss all types of trunking
a.. LMR- discuss Land Mobile Radio
a.. Nextel-1- discuss Nextel and wireless
a.. PrivateWirelessForum - discuss all things wireless
a.. wirelesslan- discuss wireless lans
ARCHIVES
  a.. 09/01/2003 - 09/30/2003