Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC Commissioner Kathleen Abernathy to Keynote UPLC Annual Conference

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 14:59:22 -0400

FCC Commissioner Kathleen Abernathy to Keynote UPLC Annual Conference

WASHINGTON

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy
will deliver the keynote address September 22 during the 2003 Annual 
Conference of the United PowerLine Council (UPLC) at the Ritz-Carlton,
Pentagon City in Arlington, Virginia.

"With the increased attention Broadband over Power Line deployment is being
given by the FCC, having one of the Commissioners address our industry at
the UPLC Annual Conference is something that all attendees will find
constructive," said UTC President/CEO Bill Moroney. "We are honored to have
Commissioner Aberthnathy share her views on the emergence of new broadband
platforms, like BPL, and how the Commission can fulfill the congressional
mandate to take all actions necessary to remove regulatory impediments."

Abernathy was sworn in as FCC Commissioner on May 31, 2001 after being
nominated by President George W. Bush and unanimously confirmed by the
Senate. She is responsible for representing the public interest in policy
areas under the FCC's jurisdiction, such as the regulation of broadcast
television, cable and satellite telecommunications, wireless telephony and
consumer protection. Other positions held at the FCC include
Telecommunications Legal Advisor to FCC Chairman James H. Quello and Legal
Advisor to Commissioner Sherrie P. Marshall.

Abernathy's experience in the private sector includes Vice President of
Public Policy at BroadBand Office Communications, Inc., partner at the law
firm of Wilkinson Barker Knauer, Vice President for Regulatory Affairs at
U.S. West, Inc., and Vice President for Federal Regulatory at AirTouch
Communications, Inc.

Broadband over Power Line (BPL), the delivering of high-speed Internet
connectivity over existing electric distribution lines, is now a reality in
North America. This new technology will enable utilities to provide a range
of commercial services, such as high-speed Internet access and home
networking, while also enabling these companies to improve the reliability
and efficiency of electric services to their customers. The UPLC Annual
Conference will provide technical details directly from the companies on the
cutting edge of deployments. Find out how soon BPL might be available in
your area, and what services that it could support there. No other
conference in the U.S. offers such comprehensive coverage of the issues
affecting BPL like the UPLC Annual Conference. 

The UPLC was established in 2002 as an independent operating unit of the
United Telecom Council (UTC) and is an evolution of UTC's Power Line Telecom
Forum (PLTF) that was created in 1998 with a similar mission. The UPLC
believes that electric infrastructure is uniquely positioned to be a key
element in the delivery of much-needed broadband communications and that it
is critical to ensure that the right message is being sent from the industry
to utilities, policymakers and the public.

The UPLC is an alliance of utilities and technology partners that - in
substance and form - drives the development of BPL in a manner that promotes
members' common interests and provides members an equal stake in their
success. This is reflected by the structure of the UPLC with utility and
technology partner co-chairs at every level of the organization. The UPLC is
composed of Principal and Associate Members. Principal Members lead the
activities of the UPLC, and Associate Members participate and help shape the
development of BPL. Additional information is available about the UPLC and
UTC at http://www.uplc.org and http://www.utc.org.

 http://www.BPLconference.org

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/