Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Study: Consumers Embrace Wi-Fi

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:25:39 -0400

Study: Consumers Embrace Wi-Fi

SEPTEMBER 11, 2003

Lean economic times could be the leading cause of business use of Wi-Fi lagging
behind consumer use, a new IDC study says.
A survey of IDC's Mobile Advisory Council found that 34 percent of respondents use
an 802.11 LAN at home, compared with 27 percent at work. "In lean economic times,
providing a wireless LAN is a low priority for many IT organizations, while lower
price points in wireless access points has spurred increased use for WLAN in the
home," says Randy Giusto, IDC's vice president of personal technologies and
services. Low-cost wireless home networking systems and increased hot spot
availability are the principal drivers behind wireless use outside the office, he
says.

The most daily use of Wi-Fi connections is happening at universities, with travel
locations and coffee shops rounding out the top three hot spot locations.
Entertainment and messaging are the main reasons consumers use hot spots, while
business users tap into the services for email, PIM, Internet and intranet access.

Business use will be fueled by professionals' growing dependence on electronic
forms of communication, user demand and potential increases in productivity,
according to the IDC survey.

IDC's Mobile Advisory Council consists of more than 12,000 consumers, business
users and buyers of wireless devices. The survey was conducted with 2,500 of the
council members.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=6&pubdate=09/11/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/