Subject: [NEXTEL-1] House Panel Endorses E-911 Bill

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:15:22 -0400

House Panel Endorses E-911 Bill

Federal legislation prohibiting states from re-directing to other uses fees
collected from wireless subscribers for enhanced 911 services took another step
toward passage Tuesday when the House Telecommunications and Internet Subcommittee
completed its mark-up of the E-911 Implementation Act of 2003. The bill - H.R.
2898 introduced by Rep John Shimkus (R-Ill.) with support from 24 co-sponsors -
would appropriate $100 million annually in state grants to help public safety
answering points upgrade to wireless E-911 capability, and would requires the
Federal Communications Commission to review the accuracy standards for rural
carriers within six months of its enactment. The bill also would require each
state to submit annual reports to confirm that no portion of its E-911 revenues
are expended for any other purpose. It would withhold grant funds from states that
fail to confirm that attribution.

The Senate Commerce Committee has endorsed a similar measure, S.1250, which has
been placed on the Senate calendar for a floor vote. However, the Senate bill
doesn't include the requirement for reconsidering accuracy standards in rural
markets and would appropriate $500 million in PSAP grants. Public safety groups
have told Communications Today sister publication Wireless Data News that despite
strong momentum behind the E-911 bills in the House and the Senate, it is unlikely
that the two chambers will agree on the details and pass legislation during this
session.

http://www.telecomweb.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/