Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel, Sprint PCS face slew of billing lawsuits

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 00:07:12 -0400

Nextel, Sprint PCS face slew of billing lawsuits
By Jeffrey Silva
September 03 12:48:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—Nextel Communications Inc. and Sprint PCS are facing unprecedented
billing litigation, a legal challenge Nextel brought to the attention of the
Securities and Exchange Commission in a filing last month.

Nextel is a defendant in seven class action billing lawsuits. The cases are
pending in federal courts in California, Florida, Missouri, Pennsylvania and
Tennessee.

In July, Nextel and Sprint PCS settled a lawsuit with the Missouri attorney
general on how they break out taxes and fees related to federal mandates on
consumer bills. But the carriers’ problems did not end there.

Consumers also have sued Sprint PCS for alleged billing misrepresentation in
Florida, Missouri, Ohio and Tennessee. In total, 11 class action suits are in play
against one or the other mobile-phone operator.

On Oct. 9, a federal judicial panel here will hear oral argument on requests by
Nextel and Sprint PCS to consolidate the suits in the U.S. District Court for the
Western District of Missouri.

A Nextel spokeswoman declined comment.

Sprint PCS has a policy of not discussing active litigation.
The mobile-phone industry is attempting to head off additional litigation and
state regulation by adopting a voluntary code of conduct. The plan will be
unveiled here next Tuesday. At the same time, 20 state attorneys general are
contemplating whether to take legal action against industry to force carriers to
revise advertising, billing, contract terms and other business practices.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14927

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/