Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel to offer simplex (talk-around) capability

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:39:56 -0400

Looks like someone beat Nextel to the punch........

Word Mark
TALK-AROUND
Goods and Services
IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Wireless communications devices, namely,
transmitters and receivers used by firefighters and other emergency personnel.
FIRST USE:
20010100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20010100
Mark Drawing Code
(1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number
75896622
Filing Date
January 14, 2000
Filed ITU
FILED AS ITU
Published for Opposition
November 14, 2000
Registration Number
2559791
Registration Date
April 9, 2002
Owner
(REGISTRANT) STI Licensing Corporation CORPORATION DELAWARE 5875
Landerbrook Drive Suite 250 Mayfield Heights OHIO 44124
Type of Mark
TRADEMARK
Register
PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator
LIVE

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=ocp4s6.3.2

------- Original Message --------
   From: "Harry Ekelund" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Nextel to offer simplex (talk-around) capability

A third casual observation...   How long will it be before they trademark(!)
"talkaround"???Harry

     -----Original Message-----
     From: Paul J. Zawada [mailto:[email-masked]]
     Sent: September 15, 2003 10:06 AM
     Subject: Re: extel to offer simplex (talk-around) capability

     Two casual observations:

     1) If it's not FRS we'll have to see what waivers or "rule
     convolution" they will perform.  Does anyone know if they have a
     nationwide itinerant license for 800 MHz (or any other band for that
     matter)?

     2) They must have figured out how to bill charges for talkaround use.
     Perhaps the phones will keep track of how many "talkaround minutes"
     are used and upload them to the Nextel billing system.

     --zawada

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:03:27 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: [email-masked]
Subject:  Nextel to offer simplex (talk-around) capability, priority access t...

My bet (although I haven't checked) is that Nextel is the 800 MHz "C" Block
licensee everywhere except Puerto Rico (where it's a client of mine).  So, it's
pretty safe to assume that there's over a hundreds 25 kHz channels that could be
used for this purpose.

And yes, you're right, ordinarily you'd need a talk-around license if you weren't
using frequencies already assigned to you on an exclusive basis.  We used to have
853.4875 for that purpose.

Alan

In a message dated 9/15/2003 11:28:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked]
writes:

> Ahh...  Hadn't thought of the auctioned licenses in those terms.  I was
> thinking of Private Wireless (B/ILT/PS)..  Such a licensee would need
> mobile licenses for the 85X/86X (normally repeater) freqs, no?  But I
> see your point; in Nextel's case, they have SMR freqs licensed for an
> entire EA and I would not be surprised if they at least one (if not
> more) SMR block that was licensed in every EA in the country.
>
> Thanks for setting me straight....
>
> --zawada

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:29:15 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Nextel to offer simplex (talk-around) capability

> licensee everywhere except Puerto Rico (where it's a client of mine).
So,
> it's
> pretty safe to assume that there's over a hundreds 25 kHz channels that
could
> be used for this purpose.
>
> And yes, you're right, ordinarily you'd need a talk-around license if
you
> weren't using frequencies already assigned to you on an exclusive basis.

> We used
> to have 853.4875 for that purpose.
>
> Alan

Alan,

A UK Perspctive (as we have Dolphin over here as a rough equivalent of
Nextel, but using TETRA)...

Dolphin's been thinking of ways of implementing some sort of simplex
operation - and for exactly the same reasons, it seems.  They were also
trying to make inroads into the "Public Safety" market and saw Direct Mode
as an essential feature.  They also didn't like the idea of setting aside
a set of channels, that they didn't have spare, exclusively for a service
they couldn't bill for.

Dolphin decided to try for a form of simplex controlled by the network
called Managed Direct Mode.  The "simplex" operation would remain under
the control of the network at all times and frequencies of operation would
be assigned according to the channel selected as suitable from the
already-licenced block in the area of operation.  In other words, a
channel that couldn't be reused for base station operation as it was
within an interference zone, but could be used for low-power simplex
operation.
Managed Direct Mode means that some sort of direct billing for the service
could take place - as could routing incoming messages and duplex calls
from the network if required, or maybe just bouncing the terminal back
onto the network if called.

If the technology wouldn't allow (and I don't know if they ever got M-DMO
put in the TETRA Standard) the alternative would be to have some way of
"leasing" a defined simplex channel (as above), but in a less controlled
manner, i.e. for a short period before the terminal reverts automatically
to the network (as happens in some MPT1327 systems).  I suppose you could
bill for every DMO activation...

The question I would ask is can IDEN do this??

Simon

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/