Subject: [NEXTEL-1] InfoWorld: Symantec VP picked as gov't cybersecurity czar: September 15, 2003: By : Security

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:57:34 -0400

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/15/HNczar_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Home :: About InfoWorld :: Advertise :: Subscribe :: Contact Us ::
Awards :: Events

<A HREF="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/idg.us.info.popup/ros;abr=!ie;sz=1x1;tile=4;ord=175622150903?"><IMG SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/idg.us.info.popup/ros;abr=!ie;sz=1x1;tile=4;ord=175622150903?" border=0 height="1" width="1"></A>

<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/idg.us.info.news/article;abr=!ie;pos=leader;pkey=security;skey=inet;paud=cio;saud=cto;sz=728x90;tile=1;ord=175622150903?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/idg.us.info.news/article;abr=!ie;pos=leader;pkey=security;skey=inet;paud=cio;saud=cto;sz=728x90;tile=1;ord=175622150903?" border="0"></a>

NEWS

Symantec VP picked as gov't cybersecurity czar
Amit Yoran to join Department of Homeland Security

By Paul Roberts, IDG News Service

September 15, 2003

Security software industry veteran Amit Yoran is expected to be named the new head of federal cybersecurity by the U.S. Department
of Homeland Security (DHS) on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/idg.us.info.news/article;abr=!ie;pos=imu;pkey=security;skey=inet;paud=cio;saud=cto;sz=336x280;tile=3;ord=175622150903?">
<img src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/idg.us.info.news/article;abr=!ie;pos=imu;pkey=security;skey=inet;paud=cio;saud=cto;sz=336x280;tile=3;ord=175622150903?" border="0"></a>

Yoran will be the federal government's "cybersecurity czar," according to Robert Liscouski, DHS's assistant secretary of homeland
security for infrastructure protection. Liscouski named Yoran as the agency's new cybersecurity head in comments Monday at
a forum hosted by the Information Technology Association of America, according to DHS spokesman.

But DHS declined to comment specifically on the appointment, pending the release of an official statement on Yoran's appointment
Tuesday.

Yoran helped to found network scanning company RipTech Inc. of Alexandria, Virginia, in 1998. After RipTech was acquired by
antivirus giant Symantec Corp. for $145 million in August 2002, Yoran stayed on as Symantec vice president of worldwide managed
security services operations, according to Symantec spokesman Cris Paden.

Yoran was well regarded at Symantec, Paden said.

"He definitely knew what he was doing. He was somebody who brought an enormous set of skills with him," he said.

While the DHS refused to comment Monday because the "official" announcement won't happen until Tuesday, the software industry
raced to embrace one of its own after word of his impending appointment spread.

The Business Software Alliance (BSA) a leading software industry group lauded the choice of Yoran, saying his experience in
the software industry will help build the public-private partnerships that are necessary to prevent attacks on the nation's
critical infrastructure. The BSA is pleased about the appointment of Yoran to "such a vital role," said Robert Holleyman,
BSA president and chief executive officer, in a statement.

A graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, Yoran designed security architecture for the Pentagon and served as
director of the Vulnerability Assessment and Assistance Program for the U.S. Department of Defense Computer Emergency Response
Team before founding RipTech.

That technical background should serve him well in his new post, said Alan Paller, director of research at the SANS Institute
Inc. Having a tech-savvy chief will make it easier for companies with information on vulnerabilities or cyberthreats to approach
DHS. It will also make it easier for DHS to attract desperately needed technical resources, Paller said.

"Amit gets it technically and he's proven he can manage difficult-to-manage technical people and make a pretty good environment
for them to work in," Paller said.

Yoran's links to the antivirus community might also make him less hospitable to software makers that produce products with
bugs, he said. That might help Yoran in what Paller sees as the cybersecurity chief's biggest challenge: Encouraging government
regulators to get tough with software companies about security.

Disagreements over that issue and the relatively low position of the cybersecurity chief within DHS hierarchy are widely reported
to have forced Yoran's predecessor, Richard Clarke, from his job in January.

SPONSORED WHITE PAPERS

Cisco - SAFE: A Security Blueprint for Enterprise Networks

EMC - FREE PAPER: Get "NETWORKED STORAGE BUYERS GUIDE to PAIN RELIEF" now!
NEC - Get the new MobilePro Synchronization System from NEC
Remedy - Manage Change requests and Cut Asset-related Costs
Remedy - Get your FREE Remedy Asset Management Whitepaper today!

Search the IDG White Paper Library:

SPONSORED LINKS

Microsoft - Now it's even easier to get 100s of Microsoft protocols

Sun Microsystems - See how your company wins with the Sun Fire[tm] V480 server.

HP - Win an HP iPaq now on the Business Resource Center!

ADIC - Download your Free Aberdeen "Intelligent Backup" white paper today

AMD - Introducing the AMD Opteron (TM) Processor

INFOWORLD MARKETPLACE

Evaluating SSL VPNs? Listen to the experts! - Get secure remote access in about an hour, with no client, no server changes and no maintenance. PC Magazine just gave Neoteris Editors Choice, while Gartner, InStat and META have named Neoteris the category leader. Take a look at the reports and find out why!

This is the Power of the Network. Now. - To discover how you can unleash the power of your network, click here

Free SSL VPN Security White Paper from Whale - Accessing email and applications from Internet kiosks can leave behind "footprints," compromising confidential information. Learn about the many risks and how enterprises prevent them, so users can securely access email, files and apps from anywhere.

AT&T-Cisco Portal Examines IP VPN Services. - The IP VPN Portal from AT&T and Cisco Systems features numerous resources and tools, including a Webcast on how to increase productivity, lower costs and extend the power of your network.

Get 128-bit SSL Web Site Encryption! - Looking for SSL? Turn to the SSL Experts! Protect your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption from VeriSign. Get a FREE Internet Security Guide Today. Click Here.

>> BUY A LINK NOW

Page: CTO Spotlight + Top Stories

NEWS

Top Stories

•

PCMCIA group releases new ExpressCard standard

•

IBM, others unveil RFID offerings

•

Homeland Security department partners with CERT

•

Oracle saga is over, says PeopleSoft's Conway

•

Symantec VP picked as gov't cybersecurity czar

•

Sierra Atlantic links PeopleSoft to rival applications

News

HOME  NEWS  TEST CENTER  OPINIONS  TECHINDEX

About InfoWorld :: Advertise :: Subscribe :: Contact Us :: Awards :: Events

Copyright © 2003, Reprints, Permissions, Licensing