Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Will Someone Please Escort Mr.Powell Out The Building- Powell prefers best practices over mandates for network outages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:18:46 -0400

Powell prefers best practices over mandates for network outages- Will Someone
Please Escort Mr.Powell Out The Building-
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
September 16 13:42:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—FCC Chairman Michael Powell said he does not favor mandating the use of
best practices developed by
the FCC’s Network Reliability & Interoperability Committee as some state
regulators have suggested.

“As long as the process works effectively, there is no need for regulation,” said
Powell, noting that the best practices
“leave specific implementation decisions to each individual firm.”

There seemed to be general agreement at Monday’s meeting that mandating the use of
the best practices was not only
not the way to go but also potentially harmful to the process of industry best
practices.

There was warning though that when best practices are not used and problems occur,
the urge to mandate their use
grows.

NRIC, made up of industry executives, has been meeting for more than a decade to
collect data on and examine
solutions to network outages. Its portfolio of issues has steadily increased and
grown more important with the advent
of homeland security.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15114

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/