Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Raley Field Pioneers the First Wireless Ballpark; Stadium Launches

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 01:44:05 -0400

Raley Field Pioneers the First Wireless Ballpark; Stadium Launches
WiFi - Wireless Technology - Application Throughout Ballpark to
Better Serve Fans
Source: Business Wire
Publication date: 2003-09-03

WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 3, 2003--Raley
Field, home of the Sacramento River Cats, the national leading Triple-A
baseball team, is quickly becoming one of professional sports' most
technologically advanced venues and is seeing its vision of a wireless
ballpark come to fruition.

The catalyst? WiFi (wireless fidelity) technology. The stadium recently
implemented wireless Internet access to customers in suites and the
exclusive "Solon Club"--a valued service for business and corporate
clientele. And by next season, all fans will be able to operate laptop
computers, PDAs and other wireless devices from their seats for access
to up-to-the-minute stats and replays. Attendees will also be able to order
a hot dog and Coke -- delivered right to their seats -- or order tickets for
future games.

While other sports teams, including major league club, are experimenting
with WiFi features, Raley Field continues to be ahead of the curve.

"We're not aware of anyone else creating a totally wireless environment at
a ballpark," says Alan Ledford, president and chief operating officer of the
River Cats and Raley Field. "Our new wireless element adds significant
value to the organization, especially in terms of time/cost savings and
customer satisfaction."

Fans are not the only ones to benefit from the technology investment at
Raley Field. In addition to consumer email and Internet access, a WiFi
network -- or "hot spot" -- offers a range of organizational benefits. For
example, operations staff are able to adjust the stadium's lighting and
HVAC systems remotely from anywhere in the ballpark using wireless
PDAs or other handheld devices, versus having to do it from a control
room.

The ball club is also exploring technology systems for ticket scanning at
the gates, immediate updates to seating for real time information
integration, as well as monitoring and viewing the stadium's existing
security cameras -- all via wireless devices. These systems are expected
to be in place by the end of the year.

Corporate Information Exchange (CIE), a technology knowledge bank and
services firm based in the Sacramento area, originally hatched the idea
and presented the wireless concept and to executives at Raley Field.

"CIE's vision for a "Digital Ballpark" has provided a unique opportunity to
partner with the Sacramento River Cats and Raley Field. Here, we can
provide added value to business operations, enhance the guest experience
and showcase technology in motion," said Ali Mackani, co-founder of
Corporate Information Exchange.

For more information on Raley Field's "Digital Ballpark" and wireless
initiatives, call 916-371-HITS or visit www.rivercats.com.

Publication date: 2003-09-03
http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=41315661&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/