Subject: [NEXTEL-1] from a state "source"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 00:20:43 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: from a state "source"

The following information was paraphrased from a Pa Radio Project Office memo 
that I received through a non-Commonwealth entity:

Factory Acceptance Testing for MA/COM's "Release 4" version of the software 
for PA's Open Sky system has been completed.  Deployment commenced as of 
8/29/03.  

This software release was a major upgrade to the infrastructure and mobile and
portable radios.  It represents delivery of all features, functions, and
capabilities required by the Commonwealth's contract with M/A-COM.

Testing in both the factory and in the field has shown major improvements in
audio quality, data error performance, and in some cases, coverage.  This
release also incorporates voice encryption using the latest federal Advanced
Encryption Standard, selective calling between units, a basic integrated
status/message capability without the need for an MDT, VTAC capability
in both Coverage Extension mode and Scene of Incident (SOI) mode, Emergency
Call and Emergency Alert capability.

Upgrading is being conducted using over-the-air download capability for mobile
radios.  Portable radios will be programmed manually at agency locations.

The following enhancements are being worked on:

* Changes to Emergency Call behavior to implement additional safety features.

* Trunked Scan user interface changes to make use of scan more flexible.

Deployment of both high-profile tower sites and low-profile cell sites to 
bring system coverage up to the project goal of 95% coverage by county throughout 
the state continues.

The following "low cost" alternatives have been added to the equipment list 
for purchase by participating entities:

* The P800 portable has been added; it is a limited-feature set P801 at a
single-unit price of $1195, fulfilling the procurement goal of a low-cost 
fully digital portable radio for the system.

* The DB800 has been added.  It is a data-only wireless modem, suitable for 
use for fixed or mobile data-only applications.  This unit does not include an
enclosure, power supply, antenna, or installation, as it is intended to be
integrated into other equipment (i.e., traffic signs, sensors, etc.).
Single-unit price is $1195.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/