Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Alaska Department of Transportation and Motorola Complete Successful Data Demonstration for Statewide Land Mobile Radio System

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 04:39:28 -0400

Alaska Department of Transportation and Motorola Complete Successful Data
Demonstration for
Statewide Land Mobile Radio System

System Proves Efficient and Rapid in Transmitting Data

ANCHORAGE, Alaska, — Sept. 26, 2003 — The Alaska Department of Transportation
reported successful
completion of a demonstration project developed to verify efficient data
transmission over the new Alaska
Land Mobile Radio (ALMR) statewide shared public safety communications system. The
system, which will
integrate voice and data service, is part of Motorola's extensive portfolio of
public safety and security
solutions for mission-critical integrated communications, information management,
regional coordination
and incident command.

The data system will provide state personnel with messaging capabilities in
real-time and wireless access
to critical information.

“The results of the data demonstration far exceeded our expectations,” reported
Ocie Adams, Project
Director, Department of Transportation for the State of Alaska. “The period
between the time we pushed the
button in Fairbanks and the data arrived in Juneau was really low, even lower than
we experienced on our
wide area network.”

The project test was developed to verify that:

Data messages sent through the ALMR VHF ASTRO® 25 trunked radio system would be
received in
a matter of minutes from Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau Voice operation would
have priority over
data operation, but ensure that data packets are not lost in the system during
voice transmission
Voice and data share the same coverage characteristics on the proposed system.

“It went off without a hitch; we were able to transmit a JPG photo and other
messaging over the ALMR
system’s data pipeline at delays comparable to a mobile data system,” said Dwayne
Sakumoto, Senior
Account Manager, Motorola.

The demonstration utilized six Motorola XTS 5000™ portable radios and six ASTRO
SPECTRA® Plus mobile
radios. All radios connected to Motorola Mobile Laptop 800 (ML800) computers,
selected to meet the
minimum raw data rate of 9600 bps.

“We’ll be able to transmit data back in real time from our notebook computers to
our databases, which will
significantly enhance efficiencies in managing both day-to-day operations and
emergency response. The
radio equipment will also support integrated voice and data needs for highway
inspection. The department
plans to purchase its Phase I mobile, portable and base station radios for
integrated voice and data
operations in the Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau areas over the next several
months,” said Adams.

“This system will prove to be a valuable asset because all we’ll need is one radio
and a compact laptop
computer and we’ll be able to communicate with senior leadership when something
happens, where it
happens,” added Mickey Hendrickson, Safety and Health Officer, Ted Stevens
Anchorage International
Airport. “We’ve faced many communications challenges in the past because of the
mountains and vast
openness of our state.”

The demonstration project was conducted on the platform used for the Motorola
statewide ASTRO® 25
trunked radio system with 64 channels and three integrated dispatch consoles. The
system will combine
state, federal and local resources into a single, shared standards-based
infrastructure supporting
public-safety first responders and each participating agency’s day-to-day
operations. When fully
implemented, the joint effort between the state of Alaska and the U.S. Department
of Defense will provide a
single shared statewide trunk radio system using the latest APCO Project 25
digital technology and will
combine available federal and state public-safety radio spectrum for use on the
shared trunk radio system.

“Motorola is a responsive and flexible partner, and brought this demonstration
project to fruition five months
ahead of schedule, saving us time and money,” said Adams. “They were also flexible
in working with us on
open architecture for software, enabling us to use several of our software
partners.”

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,3316_2736_23,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/