Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VZ Takes Number Portability To A New Level- Verizon To Permit Swapping Of Home & Cellphone Numbers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:01:51 -0400

Verizon To Permit Swapping Of Home & Cellphone Numbers

Verizon Communications and Verizon Wireless say they will soon let customers
transfer their regular home phone number to a cellphone and vice versa. The
announcement could pave the way for other phone companies to announce similar
agreements that will make it easier for consumers to keep their phone numbers, no
matter what kind of phone they're using or what company is providing their
service. Verizon's new policy will take effect November 24, when long-awaited
number portability rules kick in the wireless industry. The new rules will allow
customers to keep the same number when they change cellphone providers. The FCC
has long maintained that numbers also should be portable between landlines and
cellphones, to bolster competition across the telecom industry. Reported by The
Wall Street Journal.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV
Easily record your favorite shows!
CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WUMW7B/85qGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/