Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Teens Tired By Mobiles

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:13:38 -0400

Teens Tired By Mobiles

Contributed by mmasnick on Mon, Sept 8 2003

Those crazy kids. A new study out of Australia says that teens are staying up late
text messaging with one another, making them a sleepy bunch at school the next
day. Plenty are woken up in the middle of the night by incoming messages (which,
of course, they have to answer). This is, of course, the latest in a long line of
"blame the technology" stories. Kids have always tried to stay up late, and
there's always a different technology being blamed. First there was television and
then video games - so now it's text messaging.  Update: Over at textually.org,
Emily links to another article with more details and quotes from concerned
"experts" and parents.

wwww.techdirt.com
===============================================================================

Teens tired by mobiles
09sep03

MOBILE phones have created a generation of worn-out schoolchildren who stay up all
night text messaging their friends.
A survey has revealed that half of all 16-year-olds who own a mobile are regularly
woken by incoming messages or calls.
One in 10 youngsters said their sleep was disturbed at least once a week, while 3
per cent confessed to being woken every night.

Even among children as young as 13, one in four admitted losing vital sleep
because they kept their mobiles switched on at night. Recent research has
suggested that up to two-thirds of children in the UK are not getting enough sleep
but, until now, TV and computer games had been blamed. The latest study conducted
in Belgium suggests late-night text messaging is a much greater problem.

Researchers questioned 2500 adolescents aged between 13
and 16.

Among the older pupils, almost half reported their sleep was
disturbed on a regular basis.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,7211904%255E401,00.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/