Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Inouye Seen As Quiet Force In Telecom Policymaking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:03:10 -0400

Inouye Seen As Quiet Force In Telecom Policymaking
Sep 17, 2003

Most people probably don't know this, but in matters concerning telecom policy,
Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), the fourth most senior member of Congress, is one
of the most influential voices on Capitol Hill. He, along with Sen. Ernest
Hollings (D-S.C.) and a few other notable lawmakers, was a key player in drafting
legislative language that eventually became the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

During the years of congressional debate preceding the Act's passage, Inouye
became a force to be reckoned with - especially after Republicans assumed control
of the Senate in 1995. In that year, Larry Pressler, the former Republican senator
from South Dakota (who was defeated in his 1996 re-election bid) assumed
chairmanship of the powerful Senate Commerce Committee.

Pressler and others (including some Democrats) wanted to "fast track" a telecom
bill. In fact, Pressler in early 1995 made clear that he wanted a telecom bill put
to a full Senate vote by the Fourth of July. By hurrying the process, Pressler and
his followers believed it might be possible to craft a law that, in essence, would
largely de-regulate local telephone service, thus freeing the Regional Bell
Operating Companies (RBOCs) to compete unfettered against AT&T and other long
distance providers.
Pressler got what he wanted - the Senate bill passed in early June of that year.
But had it not been for lawmakers like Inouye and Hollings - both of whom insisted
on a more cautious approach - the rapidity of the Senate legislative effort led by
Pressler would have virtually ensured continued long-term RBOC monopolization of
local phone service. As it now stands, clear signs of competition in the local
telephone service marketplace are becoming more apparent.

Hollings, who turned 81 this year, recently announced that he would not seek
another Senate term. That means in 2005, Inouye will be the senior ranking
Democrat on the Commerce Committee, assuming Inouye remains healthy - he turned 79
last Tuesday - and his Hawaii constituents don't vote him out of office. Come to
think of it, if the Republicans fail to hang onto their slim majority in the
Senate, Inouye would very likely end up being chairman of the Commerce Committee,
a post currently held by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Inouye, born in Honolulu, was a 17-year-old high school student and Red Cross
volunteer when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. In fact, on that
fateful day he rendered first aid to civilian casualties there. In 1943, he
enlisted in the Army and became a member of the famed 442nd Regimental Combat
Team. He lost his right arm during combat in Italy.
Inouye graduated from the University of Hawaii in 1950 and George Washington
University Law School in 1952. When Hawaii became a state in 1959, Inouye won
election to the House of Representatives, thus becoming the new state's first
congressman. He was elected to the Senate in 1962, and is currently serving his
seventh consecutive term in that chamber.
Goldsea Asian American Supersite (http://www.goldsea.com) ranks Sen. Inouye No. 1
on its list of the top 50 most inspiring Asian Americans of all time.

Telecom Services & Equipment PAC Donations To Inouye
Telecom Services & Equipment $9,000
Assn for Local Telecommunications Srvcs $1,000
AT&T Wireless Services $1,000
Cable & Wireless USA $1,000
Focal Communications $2,000
Global Crossing $1,000
Level 3 Communications $1,000
Loral Space & Communications $1,000
Northpoint Technology $1,000

Source: FCC The numbers reflect PAC donations during 2001-2002 and are based on
data released by the FEC on Monday, June 9, 2003.

Telco PAC Donations To Inouye
Telephone Utilities $11,000
Allegiance Telecom $2,000
AT&T $1,000
BellSouth Corp $2,000
Sprint Corp $1,000
Time Warner Telecom $1,000
WorldCom Inc $3,000
XO Communications $1,000

Source: FCC The numbers reflect PAC donations during 2001-2002 and are based on
data released by the FEC on Monday, June 9, 2003.

www.telecomweb.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/