Subject: [NEXTEL-1] E-911 Bill Studied On 9/11 Anniversary

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:44:47 -0400

E-911 Bill Studied On 9/11 Anniversary

Two years after responses to terrorist attacks on U.S. targets revealed
deficiencies in the country's emergency radio operations, the House Energy and
Commerce Telecommunications and Internet Subcommittee today will consider a
measure to provide federal grants to accelerate deploying wireless enhanced-911
services to improve public safety and homeland security. The bill, H.R. 2898, is
similar to S. 1250, which has been approved by the Senate Commerce Committee and
which has been placed on the Senate calendar but without a date for a floor vote.
Both bills would bar states from diverting such funds for other uses- a practice
that has become widespread as states cope with budget shortfalls and a sluggish
economy.
However, the bills also include differences. S. 1250, introduced by Sen. Conrad
Burns (R-Mont.) and co-sponsored by Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) and
Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), would appropriate $500 million annually in grants for
PSAP upgrades. In addition to appropriating $100 million annually for PSAP grants,
H.R.  2898, introduced by Rep John Shimkus (R-Ill.) with 24 co-sponsors, differs
from S.1250 by ordering the FCC to reconsider the accuracy requirements that
wireless E-911 systems must meet in rural areas.

For m http://www.TelecomWeb.com.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/