Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GPS will pinpoint Coke prize winners

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:06:49 -0400

GPS will pinpoint Coke prize winners

By Scott Leith
Cox news Service
September 28, 2003

ATLANTA

Here's a way to really target a consumer.

Next summer, Coca-Cola plans to use satellites to find U.S. buyers who
happen to purchase special cans of Coke products.

They will be winners in a giveaway that will feature Hummer H2 sport-utility
vehicles. The giant vehicles will be presented in person,
 using satellites to locate the recipients. And in a promotion tied to the
Summer Olympics, Coke's prize is likely to be $1 million in gold,
 again awarded on the spot.

The promotions, described in a proposal that has been circulated within the
Coke system, are a twist for the beverage maker, because
 of both the technology involved and the splashy prizes.

Coke spokesman Mart Martin declined to provide details about the promotions,
which remain months away. "We are still in the process
 of finalizing our plans," he said.

But U.S. Coke bottlers have learned quite a bit about them. Last week in
Australia, Coke unveiled a similar plan. Dubbed Thrill Seeker,
 it is tied to the Rugby World Cup finals, scheduled for October and
November.

Thrill Seeker uses satellite tracking to locate winners. The prizes are
Peugeot cars and $10,000.

Summertime prizes are common in the soft-drink world, given that they help
stir interest during an important selling season. This year's
 summer promotion from Pepsi, for example, touted a potential prize of $1
billion. (It wasn't won, by the way.)

The oddity of Coke's promotion revolves around how winners will get their
prizes. The cans used will be equipped with Global Positioning
 System transponders.

In Canada, Coors used a "Tracker Bottle" in Quebec in 2001 and 2002. The
program spread to all of Canada last summer.

That experience should indicate the tracking system will work. Coke doesn't
want a repeat of 1990, when the much-touted "Magic Can"
 promotion turned out to be a mess. In that case, Coke put cash in cans, but
many malfunctioned.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/6/078419-4506-P.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/