Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Havens Makes A Move On Public Safety-

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:42:50 -0400

An Insider just sent this to me........
This was sent to various Public Safety organizations and Industry leaders.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 3:07 PM

Consistent with past communications from me, recently by way of the "Extended
VHF/ Lower 900 MHz Forum" I organized, attached is a power point presentation
from the VPC Spectrum Consortium (Maritel, myself, S. McIntyre) to Charles
Cape at the US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS).  I spoke with Charles about
this and he invited this proposal.

VPC class spectrum is 350-500 kHz, exclusive (not shared),
geographic-licensed, paired spectrum, in the 157/162 MHz range.

I am copying you on this since the presentation involves US Public Safety
(PS) and Critical Infrastructure (CI).

One idea reflected in the attached is for DHS to acquire all of the VPC
spectrum nationwide and make it available, perhaps with funding in addition, as a
foundation for new statewide or regional radio systems for certain public
safety and critical infrastructure applications that meet DHS interests/
standards,
such as:

1) certain day-to-day telemetry and scada to increase security and
reliability of operations at major facilities and public places; and

2) day-to-day mobile voice and data use, but where the capacity is
preempted in emergencies for DHS-specified interoperable use among responders:
local
PS and CI, as well as federal-DHS entities.

This VPC spectrum could provide uniform nationwide spectrum for these
critical purposes, and based thereupon, enable uniform, high-volume,
cost-effective
equipment and applications.  This may warrant DHS funding on top of providing
the VPC spectrum.

Slide 15 in the attached also discusses the plan for mobile (vehicular and
transportable) WiFi via use of all of 902-928 MHz nationwide (licensed and
unlicensed spectrum), and coordinating this with certain "Extended VHF" spectrum
of
which VPC would provide the foundation.  This dual-band initiative would
allow very cost effective coverage (the 900 MHz in urban areas, and the VHF for
rural and an underlay in urban areas) and provide for traditional trunked mobile
voice and data, and telemetry and scada, and mobile WiFi for IP-based voice,
video, and high-speed data to Intranets and the Internet.

If you have comments, please provide.  If you'd like to be involved if DHS
wants to pursue this, let me know.

Regards,
Warren Havens
President, Telesaurus, Berkeley California
(510) 841 2220  / direct (510) 914 0910

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:50:08 -0400

Having met Warren and discussed some concepts with him, my first thought was
- "what's in it for Warren".  Telesaurus owns a bit of the licensed 900 MHz
spectrum he mentioned in his e-mail.  He also owns some 220 MHz spectrum.of
course, the demand for spectrum at "VHF" will be so high that he will then
offer up some 220 MHz channels.and then, the next step is to ask the
Commission to expand the band from 220-222 to 217-222 MHz.  Nearly all of
the radios type-accepted on 220 are set to operate from 216-225.  VHF and
220 get a huge shot in the arm.  

Kind of an interesting thought.float an idea where DHS will create the need
for the spectrum from a federal position, and he holds a bunch of it.  One
of the reasons that Warren is a wealthy man!  He may raise questions in
people's minds, but he is a very intelligent guy.

But, as per Jack, I could be wrong.

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 3:43 PM
To: [email-masked]; WFHSG
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Havens Makes A Move On Public Safety-

Consistent with past communications from me, recently by way of the
"Extended
VHF/ Lower 900 MHz Forum" I organized, attached is a power point
presentation
from the VPC Spectrum Consortium (Maritel, myself, S. McIntyre) to Charles
Cape at the US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS).  I spoke with Charles about
this and he invited this proposal.

One idea reflected in the attached is for DHS to acquire all of the VPC
spectrum nationwide and make it available, perhaps with funding in addition,
as a
foundation for new statewide or regional radio systems for certain public
safety and critical infrastructure applications that meet DHS interests/
standards,
such as:

2) day-to-day mobile voice and data use, but where the capacity is
preempted in emergencies for DHS-specified interoperable use among
responders:
local
PS and CI, as well as federal-DHS entities.

This VPC spectrum could provide uniform nationwide spectrum for these
critical purposes, and based thereupon, enable uniform, high-volume,
cost-effective
equipment and applications.  This may warrant DHS funding on top of
providing
the VPC spectrum.

Slide 15 in the attached also discusses the plan for mobile (vehicular and
transportable) WiFi via use of all of 902-928 MHz nationwide (licensed and
unlicensed spectrum), and coordinating this with certain "Extended VHF"
spectrum
of
which VPC would provide the foundation.  This dual-band initiative would
allow very cost effective coverage (the 900 MHz in urban areas, and the VHF
for
rural and an underlay in urban areas) and provide for traditional trunked
mobile
voice and data, and telemetry and scada, and mobile WiFi for IP-based voice,
video, and high-speed data to Intranets and the Internet.

Regards,
Warren Havens