Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Safety National Coordination Committee (NCC) Chair Briefs FCC On Interoperability Standards

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:27:47 -0400

Public Safety National Coordination Committee (NCC) Chair Briefs FCC On
Interoperability Standards

NEWS
Federal Communications Commission

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
September 10, 2003 Meribeth McCarrick at (202) 418-0654
Public Safety National Coordination Committee Chair Briefs Federal
Communications Commission on Interoperability Standards

Washington, D.C. – Today at the Federal Communications Commission’s monthly open
meeting, Kathleen Wallman briefed the FCC on the achievements of the Public Safety
National
Coordination Committee (NCC) – a Federal Advisory Committee chartered in 1999. The
NCC
developed technical and operational standards for the new Public Safety 700 MHz
Band -- laying the
groundwork for nationwide public safety interoperable communications systems that
will serve the
communications needs of the nation’s public safety agencies well into the 21st
century.

During her presentation, Ms. Wallman described recommended narrowband standards
that will
ensure that police, firefighters, EMS and other public safety officials using 700
MHz radios can
communicate with one another instantly on common voice and data channels anywhere
in the United
States. She also described the capabilities of the wideband data standard
recommended by the NCC.
This standard gives public safety agencies a common “pipeline,” on 700 MHz
wideband data
interoperability channels, with which to implement such applications as sending
mug shots and
fingerprints to police vehicles, medical telemetry from EMS units to hospitals,
blueprints of burning
buildings to firefighters and video coverage of incidents to the incident
commander.

The NCC, whose charted term expired on July 25, 2003, had over 300 members and
reached its
recommendations over a four-year period using consensus-based decision-making. It
was guided by
an eleven-member Steering Committee and used three subcommittees, each of them
having several
work groups, to develop its recommendations, many of them highly technical. The
NCC worked with
the Telecommunications Industries Association – an accredited standards developer
– to develop
interoperability technical standards that are open and non-proprietary.

The NCC represented a valuable information conduit between the public safety
community and
the Commission. That conduit will remain open as the National Public Safety
Council – NPSTC –
assumes responsibility for advising the Commission on interoperability and other
public safety
communications issues critical to the safety of life and property and to Homeland
Security.
For more information on the work of the NCC visit:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/publicsafety/ncc/

- FCC -
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau Contact: Michael Wilhelm at (202) 418-0680 or
[email-masked]

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-238843A1.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/