Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: atest 800 Interference Report -UPDATES

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:39:31 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
   From: "Ron Haraseth" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [800interference] Latest 800 Interference Report -UPDATES

Eric,

Several times over the last couple of years, Project 39 indicated that the
combined report list was not interactive.  We pursued the possibility of creating
a fully interactive database, but no $$$.  No one outside of APCO ever contributed
to the effort except for RACOM out of Iowa.  The legal expenses to support filing
efforts were extreme, so no interactive reporting database.  I actually visited
with firms that were capable providing such software, but could not pursue any
final product having no offsetting revenue source.

I would imagine, should the Consensus Plan be adopted by the FCC, the RCC as
explained in the Consensus documents, would create such an interactive database.
For now, there are no resources available to APCO to provide any follow-ups or
updates.  I suspect the carriers maintain such active databases (I know Nextel
does), but those are not public.  I know that most reports generated from the
online questionnaire were addressed by the carriers and also that some resolutions
were later followed by new instances of interference.  Once a local dialog is
established locally, the parties tend to work directly without any follow-up
reports.  I also believe that for every reported incident, there are many others
that are dealt with locally (Nextel's files alone are significantly larger than
the P39 list), and many more instances of interference that are not even
recognized in the first place due to the intermittent nature of the beast.

Project 39 has terminated as a formal project having completed its originally
established goals.  Its final goal, a long term solution, was essential
outstripped starting with the filing of the Nextel White Paper, and later the the
Consensus Plan backed by public safety.  See
http://www.apco911.org/frequency/project_39/Project39StatusReport.htm for the
final P39 Status Report which further explains the end of P39.  Even though P39
has dissolved as a formal committee, APCO is still pursuing the resolution of
interference on an ongoing basis.  We will maintain the web site.  We also have
definite plans for a series of regional Symposiums. See:
http://apco911.org/800/index.html for more details on the Symposium series

I recently revamped the P39 website essentially re-titling it to Interference to
800 MHz Public Safety Radio Systems located at the original URL of:
http://www.apco911.org/frequency/project_39/index.html.  The site includes some
new information including a group of documents filed with the FCC collectively
representing the Consensus Plan.Ron Haraseth
Director APCO-AFC
351 N. Williamson Blvd
Daytona Beach FL 32119
N7SKJ
386-322-2500
386-944-2461 (direct)
386-322-2502 (Fax)
[email-masked]