Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Toronto Police Service to Utilize Motorola Integrated Identification System.htm

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:01:31 -0400

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
ReplayTV: CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
Instant Replay & Pause live TV.
Special Sale: 50% off!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UUMW7B/.5qGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

Search - Finance Home - Yahoo! - Help

Welcome,
broke_nxtl_invest
[Sign
Out]

Money Manager
-
My Yahoo! View
-
Customize

Financial
News

Enter
symbol(s) BasicDayWatchPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder
Book
Symbol Lookup

Press Release

Source:
Motorola, Inc.

Toronto Police Service to Utilize Motorola Integrated Identification System
Tuesday September 23, 11:01 am ET

System Will Enable Integrated Identification Capabilities for Largest City in Canada

SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Sept. 23 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT - News), announced today that it has been awarded a
contract to provide Toronto Police Service with an integrated identification
network. The system, valued at approximately $3.1 million USD, will include
Motorola's Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) and LiveScan
technologies. The system is part of Motorola's extensive portfolio of
integrated communications and information solutions to address
mission-critical public safety and security requirements worldwide.

Motorola's Omnitrak(TM) AFIS/ Palmprint Identification System will serve
as the foundation for the system. Omnitrak enables fast and accurate suspect
identification, saving agencies valuable time and resources. Omnitrak is
Motorola's comprehensive fingerprint and palmprint system that features
exceptional matching accuracy as well as continuous automated operation. With
the new system Toronto will be able to seamlessly store, search and match
fingerprints and palmprints.
"We run a state-of-the-art identification operation and therefore expect
our technology to be leading edge," said Ed Stewart, Director Toronto Police
Service, Forensic Identification Services. "Motorola's Omnitrak system
exceeded our expectations and will move with us into the future."
With a population of 5 million residents, Toronto is the largest city in
Canada.
The system will also feature 10 new LiveScan Station 3000(TM)'s (LSS
3000(TM)), Motorola's automated booking management system designed to capture
palmprints, slap impressions and rolled fingerprint images. Using the LSS
3000, Toronto will be able to quickly and easily identify individuals via a
rapid fingerprint search against the Omnitrak AFIS database, as well as other
shared records repositories.
Motorola's LSS 3000 is one of the only LiveScan products on the market
today that offers a completely integrated booking solution with the benefit of
having mugshot, palm and tenprint (fingerprint) capture capabilities, in a
single standalone unit.
In response to increased law enforcement agency workloads, Motorola's
Omnitrak and LSS technologies allow system managers to configure system
operation by providing automated (lights-out) processing of tenprints while
highlighting only a small percentage of tenprints that require manual
intervention. Lights-out processing saves agencies valuable time and
resources, helping agencies to solve more crimes in less time.
"We are pleased that Toronto has chosen our 8th generation AFIS solution,
Omnitrak, that is based on the latest Java 2 Enterprise Edition(TM) standards
enabling a scalable solution with Web based review workstations in an open
platform environment," said Darrin Reilly, Motorola Communications and
Electronics, Inc. Vice President and General Manager, Biometrics and Criminal
Management Operations Center.
The new integrated identification system will replace Toronto's existing
AFIS 2000 system installed in 1997. Toronto has been a dedicated Printrak
AFIS customer since 1993. Toronto's new integrated identification system will
be installed in two phases with completion scheduled for 2004.
"With palmprint capture, search and matching capabilities, we expect that
the Omnitrak system will increase the amount of positive identifications that
we make, therefore solving crimes and taking criminals off the streets," added
Stewart. "Toronto has been a Printrak/ Motorola AFIS customer for over
10 years, which speaks for itself."
Motorola Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS)
Motorola's Commercial, Government and Industrial Solutions Sector (CGISS) is a
leading provider of integrated radio communications and information solutions,
with more than 65 years of experience in meeting the mission-critical
requirements of public safety, government and enterprise customers worldwide.
The sector offers an extensive portfolio of solutions to meet growing public
safety and security needs, including: interoperable two-way radio
communications solutions; command and control solutions; identification and
tracking solutions; information management for criminal justice and civil
needs; and physical security and monitoring solutions. In 2002, CGISS
received the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, the nation's premier
award for performance excellence and quality achievement.
About Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT - News) is a global leader in providing integrated
communications and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 2002 were
$27.3 billion. Motorola is a global corporate citizen dedicated to ethical
business practices and pioneering important technologies that make things
smarter and life better for people, honored traditions that began when the
company was founded 75 years ago this year. For more information, please
visit: www.motorola.com .
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are registered in the U.S. Patent &
Trademark Office. All other product or service names are the property of
their respective owners.

Source:
Motorola, Inc.
Email this story
-
Set
a News
Alert

Related
Quote

MOT

11.940

-0.120

News

View Detailed Quote
Delayed 20 mins
Quote data provided by
Reuters

Related News Stories

·

Galvin Departure Could Signal New Era For Motorola As Board Mulls Cutbacks - Investor's Business Daily (10:03 am)

·

Motorola shares up sharply on Galvin exit - FT.com (10:00 am)

·

Israel's Pele-Phone To Deploy 3G Network Next Year - Dow Jones Business News (9:35 am)

·

New Motorola Cell Phone Platform Enables Rapid Deployment of 'Anywhere' Phones - PR Newswire (8:31 am)

More...

·

By
industry:
Computer hardware, Computers, Semiconductors, Telecom

Top Stories

·

Lehman, Morgan and Goldman Profits Rise - Reuters (10:43 am)

·

Blue Chips Flat, Verizon Outlook Weighs - Reuters (11:32 am)

·

Verizon Slashes Earnings View; Stock Down - Reuters (10:27 am)

·

Retail Sales Are Unsettled by Isabel - Reuters (11:38 am)

More...

·

Most-emailed
articles

·

Most-viewed
articles

Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback
Copyright
©
2003 PR
Newswire.
All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution
of
PRNewswire content is expressly prohibited without
the prior written
consent of PRNewswire. PRNewswire shall not be liable
for any errors or
delays in the content, or for any actions taken in
reliance thereon.