Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Isabel

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:15:54 EDT

In a message dated 9/18/2003 10:59:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Todd are you on the air?

No.  He's IN the air......... and his dog Toto, too!

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:22:54 -0400

Ha!  Avery the older weiner dog is whining, and Nickie the 1 year old weiner
is sleeping this storm out.Avery has his own rain slicker - he's ready.
I'll upload a picture later.  I guess the eye has hit land, so it'll get
worse here for a while.they say it should subside a great deal by midnight.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 11:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Isabel

Todd are you on the air?

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:06:00 -0400

Back home in Wake Forest (north of Raleigh) now. OK here.

Rik Rasmussen
Communications Maintenance Adminstrator
City of Durham, NC

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Todd Ellis [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 1:23 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Isabel

  Ha!  Avery the older weiner dog is whining, and Nickie the 1 year old
weiner is sleeping this storm out.Avery has his own rain slicker - he's
ready.  I'll upload a picture later.  I guess the eye has hit land, so it'll
get worse here for a while.they say it should subside a great deal by
midnight.

  Todd

---

From: "Paul Holliday" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:05:34 -0400

All is well in Wilmington & Wrightsville Beach, NC high winds of 78 MPH & 2" of rain. No tower or property damage.
----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Todd Ellis 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 1:22 PM
  Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Isabel

  Ha!  Avery the older weiner dog is whining, and Nickie the 1 year old weiner is sleeping this storm out.Avery has his own rain slicker - he's ready.  I'll upload a picture later.  I guess the eye has hit land, so it'll get worse here for a while.they say it should subside a great deal by midnight.

  Todd

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
  Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 11:16 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Isabel

  In a message dated 9/18/2003 10:59:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked] writes:

  Todd are you on the air?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor 
              ADVERTISEMENT

  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:30:25 -0400

My dogs were ready.in yellow, too, I might add.

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Holliday [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 4:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Isabel

All is well in Wilmington & Wrightsville Beach, NC high winds of 78 MPH & 2"
of rain. No tower or property damage.

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Todd Ellis <mailto:[email-masked]>  

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 11:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Isabel

Todd are you on the air?

---

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:49:09 -0400

We had some excitement here.

About 5:00 pm a very large, very old Oak tree in front of my home which has
been a hallmark of our neighborhood was blown over. Luckily, it did not hit
the house.

A few minutes later, I got a call from our 911, that it appeared one of our
three simulcast towers sites was off the air. My first thought was that the
winds may have damaged or moved a microwave dish.

I contacted my techs and got them on the way.

I was trying to figure out how to get my city car out of the driveway when a
Wake Forest policeman showed up at the door. He had a chiansaw in his car
and we went to work clearing enough of the tree out of the neighbor's drive
for me to drive over and go out via his driveway.

By the time I got my car out, my techs were on the scene at the tower site
and determined that the generator had failed to crank when the power went
out. The UPS had kept the site up as long as it could. We got the fire
department to jump start the 24 volt generator batteries and the site came
back up and all is well with the system.

The amazing thing is, all the generators were tested Monday and no problems
were noted. We will keep it on the generator tonight and go over the whole
charging, battery system in the morning.

Becasue I live in Wake Forest about 20 miles east of Durham, we made good
use of the State's SmartZone system to enable me to have excellent portable
communications with my guys back in Durham.

Rik Rasmussen