Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC: No truth to Powell resignation rumors (Again)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:10:50 -0400

FCC: No truth  to Powell resignation rumors (Again)

By Glenn Bischoff

 TelephonyOnline.com, Sep 22 2003

FCC sources, responding to speculation stirred by a New York Times story published
today, said there is no truth to rumors that Chairman Michael Powell’s resignation
is imminent.

Powell was quoted in the story as acknowledging that he has considered leaving the
commission and that he and his family are
“tired.” He described the past summer—when Congress voted to repeal the FCC’s
controversial media ownership rules and the commission came under fire from both
incumbent and competitive telephone carriers for its equally controversial
Triennial Review order—as “bruising.”

Nevertheless, several sources within the commission all said the same thing today:
Powell is staying put.
“That story has been going around for a long time and is completely false. I would
be shocked if that were the case,” said one
FCC source. “As of last week he had given his assurance to everyone internally
that he was staying.”

According to another source, Powell hinted in a meeting today that he believes his
comments had been misconstrued.  “He said
to me, ‘I really got the sense that [the reporter] believed me when I told him I
wasn’t resigning,’”

The story also reported that Powell has lost several advisors—including Chief of
Staff Marsha MacBride—in recent months
partly because he failed to heed their advice and partly because he failed to
delegate to them the authority they felt they needed
to negotiate politically expedient deals, an allegation discounted by the second
source.

“All of the people who left the office did so of their own volition because these
jobs are hard,” said the source. “It was a personal choice to get involved in
other things.”

http://telephonyonline.com/ar/telecom_fcc_no_truthto/index.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
ReplayTV: CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
Instant Replay & Pause live TV.
Special Sale: 50% off!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UUMW7B/.5qGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/