Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE: My attempt to get the message across

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:39:10 -0400

------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: RE:My attempt to get the message across

Dave,

Over the years I have found your comments valuable and well reasoned. What you
have written here is so absurd and biased I wonder if you actually authored the
thing.

To compare the outsourcing of wire line telephone services to outsourcing wireless
Public Safety communications is ridiculous.

Wire line telephone service can be outsourced because it provides exactly the
service required.

Nextel is alienating the Public Safety community in its ridiculous assertions that
their iDEN service can provide the communications needs of Public Safety. I know
you know better and that is why I am so surprised to read your comments. Have they
put something in your water cooler?

I am sure most Public Safety agencies use many of the public carriers for various
forms of supplemental communications, just as we do here, paging, mobile data, and
cell phones. 

But I have yet to see any Public Safety agency show an ability to use public
carriers for primary Public Safety communications, i.e.: Police, Fire Fighting,
EMS. If any do claim to do so, I would advise the citizens to throw the rascals
out, or move to another town for their own safety.

The negative comments concerning this issue do generally fall at the feet of
Nextel. This is because Nextel is the only carrier I know of making an attempt to
dupe local political decision makers into considering their service as alternative
replacement for real Public Safety communications.

Their tactics seemed designed to keep the weakness of their proposals hidden from
the scrutiny of those who could point out their inherent weaknesses.

If Nextel seriously believes they have a legitimate offering for primary Public
Safety communications, let them present it to state APCO organizations for
consideration and comment, not small groups of politicians and administrators who
can't see through the smoke.

Rik Rasmussen
Durham, NC

Original Message:
-----------------
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:23:42 -0400
Subject: RE:  My attempt to get the message across

All: I must respectfully dissent with part of this, particularly Andrew's last
paragraph.  I am dissenting NOT because I work for Nextel but because the premise
(that any and all contracted communications service is inherently unsuitable for
public safety) is itself inherently flawed.  I cite two examples:

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV
Easily record your favorite shows!
CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WUMW7B/85qGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/