Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Driver walks free after using mobile on the hoof

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:04:07 -0400

Driver walks free after using mobile on the hoof

September 25, 2003

AN Australian judge has thrown out a case against a man caught using a
mobile phone while driving a horse and carriage, saying police who brought
the charges "look a bit silly".

Melbourne's Magistrates Court heard that a police car with flashing lights
pulled over coachman Dean Crichton as his carriage was traveling at about
2mph down a major street in the city.

Police breath-tested Crichton for alcohol after he was caught with a phone
in one hand and the reins in the other as he drove tourists in his two-horse
carriage.

His lawyer, James Dowsley, told magistrates that Crichton, who pleaded
guilty, was on a business call and said it was difficult to pull over a
horse-drawn carriage quickly.

Magistrate Frank Jones said he believed Crichton was technically guilty of
the offence but added that he thought a horse and carriage brought character
to Melbourne's streets.

"The sooner you get back up on your horse and cart and get the tourism
dollar circulating in Melbourne the better," Mr Jones said.

It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving in most states in
Australia.

 http://www.edinburghnews.com/international.cfm?id=1064002003

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/