Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC funding bill could end auctions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 14:21:49 -0400

FCC funding bill could end auctions

by Heather Forsgren Weaver
Sept. 05, 2003

WASHINGTON

An amendment to the bill that would fund the Federal Communications Commission for
Fiscal Year 2004 was passed late Thursday by the Senate Appropriations Committee
and would grant Northpoint Technology Ltd. spectrum
without an auction, but could also end auctions altogether if a powerful senator
is to be believed. "We create a precedent, and there will not be any more
auctions," said Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-Calif.). Even though the Northpoint
amendment passed by voice vote, Feinstein joined Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.V.), the
senior member of the Senate, in voting present. Sen. Fritz Hollings (D-S.C.),
ranking member of the Senate Appropriations commerce; justice, state and the
judiciary subcommittee; and the Senate Commerce Committee, voted no.

The amendment would allow Northpoint, a digital broadcast satellite license
applicant, to offer a wireless Internet solution to rural America.
Northpoint has been in a long-running battle to offer its service, which
uses satellite and terrestrial technology.

Earlier this year, Northpoint shocked the wireless world when it was able to
get an amendment attached to the Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act, the
formal name for the spectrum relocation bill, but Toni Cook Bush, Northpoint
executive vice president, said the spectrum relocation bill appeared to be
stalled so it was necessary to attach it to a must-pass bill.

"The issue for us is we were concerned that the spectrum relocation bill was
not moving. We wanted it on a bill that will be enacted this year," said
Bush. "I don't think it is the death of auctions."

Talking with reporters following the Senate meeting, Feinstein again
expressed concern about the impact on the auction process.

Bush said that Northpoint has met with Feinstein's office, so Feinstein's
apparent opposition surprised Bush.

Now that Northpoint has gotten its language attached to a funding bill, it
might be willing to remove its language from the spectrum relocation bill.

"We hope that the Northpoint amendment has found a new vehicle," said Travis
Larson, spokesman for the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet
Association. "The wireless industry still opposes spectrum give-aways."

Bush said no one had approached her about stripping the Northpoint language
from the spectrum-relocation bill.

 http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=14974

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/