Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vanu, Inc. Announces Innovative CERDEC Contract

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:19:10 -0400

Vanu, Inc. Announces Innovative CERDEC Contract
As previously reported:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/10980

Funding supports development of First Responder interoperability solution

Atlantic City, N.J. – September 15, 2003 – Vanu, Inc. announced today that it has
been awarded a contract by the U.S. Army Communications-Electronics Command
Research, Development, and Engineering Center (CERDEC) to build a prototype public
safety interoperability system. The $1 million funding from CERDEC will leverage
Vanu's existing wireless technology offerings, including its all-software
implementation of the APCO Project 25 waveform. The announcement is made in
conjunction with the 2003 Homeland Security and National Defense Symposium taking
place in Atlantic City, N.J September 16 – 18. Demonstrations of Vanu Inc.'s
software defined radio technology can be viewed at the U.S. Army
Communications-Electronics Command (CECOM) exhibit (booth 350) where company
representatives will be available to meet with interested media.

The ground-breaking wireless device built by Vanu, Inc. under the CERDEC contract
will patch together several widely used radio systems: VHF or UHF analog FM, APCO
Project 25, GSM, and SINCGARS, a military waveform. The waveform capability of the
device will be supported by a control software layer and user interface that is
easy for first responders to use with minimal training.

Currently, public safety officers in the United States communicate using many
different, incompatible wireless communications systems. The Vanu Software Radio™
-based interoperability device, the first of its kind, will enable wireless
communication between public safety agencies at all levels of government. For
example, a local policeman's analog FM voice transmission can be received by the
Vanu Software Radio system, then retransmitted using Federal frequency range
Project-25 digital waveforms to federal officials on the scene of a major
incident. Since the system is software-based, it can be quickly configured at the
incident scene for the particular standards and frequencies in use.

"This is a big step toward solving one of the toughest issues facing public safety
and homeland defense agencies today," stated Dr. John Chapin, CTO, Vanu, Inc. "We
are replacing earlier hardware-based devices with a software-based
interoperability system that is substantially cheaper, more flexible and easier to
use.  We expect many more public safety agencies will be able to deploy
interoperability devices than can utilize them today, which will substantially
help the effectiveness of disaster response in the United States."

Traditional wireless devices are designed to support a single specific type of
communication service using a particular radio standard in a particular radio
band. With the steady proliferation of new wireless services and standards,
single-purpose devices with dedicated hardware resources can no longer meet user
needs.  Software Radio technology offers the flexibility and upgradeability
necessary to satisfy these user needs while providing radio manufacturers and OEMs
the ability to rapidly develop and bring to market next generation wireless
products and services.

"Vanu, Inc. is enthusiastic about bringing its interoperability solution to field
trials," commented Andy Beard, COO, Vanu, Inc. We believe we have developed the
most compelling software radio technology currently available and are anxious to
prove its ability to solve the interoperability communications problem that has
long plagued the first responder community."

Vanu, Inc. introduced another public safety solution, a hand-held software radio,
earlier this year. The device, based on the HP iPAQ, supports both P25 and analog
FM standards.
About Vanu, Inc.

Vanu, Inc. applies modern software engineering techniques to the high-speed signal
processing elements at the core of wireless devices to create portable software
radio applications that will greatly increase the pace of innovation in wireless
devices. Vanu, Inc. licenses software radio components and applications and
provides design-consulting services to wireless OEMs, system integrators and
service providers. The company targets three basic platforms, each addressing a
distinct market segment: infrastructure, vehicular and handheld. Vanu, Inc. was
founded in 1998 and is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Vanu Software Radio™ is a registered trademark of Vanu, Inc.

Press Contacts:
John Winn
Chris Langlois
Vanu, Inc.

Townsend Inc.
617-864-1711 x 256

858-457-4888 x 120

http://www.vanu.com/pressreleases_030915.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/