Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 700 MHz-focused NCC closed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:06:32 -0400

700 MHz-focused NCC closed
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
September 10 13:04:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—The Federal Communications Commission Wednesday closed out the
four-year-old National Coordination Committee, which developed standards for using
public-safety spectrum in the 700 MHz band.
After more than 20 meetings, the NCC reached consensus that will ensure
public-safety interoperability at 700 MHz, said
NCC Chair Kathleen Hackett Wallman.

The end of the NCC came one day shy of the second anniversary of the Sept. 11,
2001, attacks, where once again, first responders were often unable to talk to
each other via their two-way radios.

The 700 MHz band spectrum is being made available as TV broadcaster transition to
digital TV. TV broadcasters are to
give back their 700 MHz 6-megahertz channel when 85 percent of the homes in their
areas are capable of receiving DTV
or Jan. 1, 2007, whichever is later. Along those lines, the FCC Wednesday adopted
rules for cable plug-and-play devices,
which will hopefully speed the DTV transition by making consumer electronics more
affordable.

This delay in getting the spectrum to public safety was noted by Wallman, who said
first responders are in need of
spectrum. Wallman also implored the FCC to not let the interference problems that
have developed in the 800 MHz band
happen in the 700 MHz band.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15021

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/