Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) neXt Generation (XG)Communications program

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:54:49 -0400

Overview

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) neXt Generation (XG)
Communications program is developing the technology to allow multiple users to
share use of the spectrum through adaptive mechanisms that deconflict users in
terms of time, frequency, code, and other signal characteristics. DARPA's goals
are
to enable an increase of a factor of ten in the usage of typical spectrum. The
DARPA
program will develop technology that is applicable to not only the military, but
also
could be applied for civil use, as well.

RFC’s

The Requests for Comments (RFC) posted here are the first in a series of technical

descriptions for key aspects of the XG technology. DARPA is making these
documents available for community input in order to ensure that the resulting XG
technology is widely applicable, and so that common principles in terms of policy
representation and spectrum user interaction can be developed. This document
release is the first step in establishing methods for enabling shared spectrum
usage.

The Vision RFC provides a description of the program's overarching view of
adaptive spectrum communications, while the Architecture RFC outlines the main
features of XG protocols, interfaces and spectrum access policies. These two RFCs
will be accompanied by three more in the coming months that will provide more
detailed descriptions of the policy description language, protocols, access
methods,
and interfaces outlined in the Architecture RFC.

Feedback and comments can be sent to [email-masked].

Comments & Reviews:

Comments to the RFCs will be reviewed and then posted to the website for
comment by others involved in the RFC review process.  Our goal is to be able to
have comments turned around for posting within a few days of receiving them.

Comments will be reviewed and evaluated by the program-internal XG Protocol
Working Group as to their appropriateness for inclusion in the RFCs.

The RFCs will initially be updated on a quarterly basis.  The deadline to have
comments considered for the next revision of the XG Vision and Architectural
Framework RFCs is15 September 2003.  Comments received after that date will be
considered for the following RFC update cycle.

http://www.darpa.mil/ato/programs/xg/rfcs.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV
Easily record your favorite shows!
CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/E93ZAD/85qGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

RFC’s

The Requests
for Comments (RFC) posted here are the first in a series of technical
descriptions for key aspects of the XG technology. DARPA is making these
documents available for community input in order to ensure that the resulting
XG technology is widely applicable, and so that common principles in terms
of policy representation and spectrum user interaction can be developed.
This document release is the first step in establishing methods for enabling
shared spectrum usage.

The Vision
RFC provides a description of the program's overarching view of adaptive
spectrum communications, while the Architecture RFC
outlines the main features of XG protocols, interfaces and spectrum access
policies. These two RFCs will be accompanied by three more in the coming
months that will provide more detailed descriptions of the policy description
language, protocols, access methods, and interfaces outlined in the Architecture
RFC.

Feedback and
comments can be sent to [email-masked].

Comments & Reviews:

Comments to the RFCs will be reviewed and then
posted to the website for comment by others involved in the RFC review
process.  Our goal is to be able to have comments turned around for
posting within a few days of receiving them.

Comments will be reviewed and evaluated by the
program-internal XG Protocol Working Group as to their appropriateness
for inclusion in the RFCs.

The RFCs will initially be updated on a quarterly
basis.  The deadline to have comments considered for the next revision
of the XG Vision and Architectural Framework RFCs is15 September 2003.
Comments received after that date will be considered for the following
RFC update cycle.

This
page was updated September 3, 2003.