Subject: [NEXTEL-1] BBR Mobile Report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:28:51 -0400

BBR Mobile Report
9/14/03

Written by Kevin

Once again we’ll take a dive into the wondrous world of mobile
communications, examining which new devices and services are making
their way into the public eye. Today we’ll look at Sprint’s response to
Verizon’s PTT; Nextel’s international DC; A new phone for Aston Martin;
and a DIY Nokia phone.

Sprint responded to Verizon’s PTT offering this week by saying that it will
offer a product that will be very competitive to Verizon’s service. PCS
president Len Lauer said that although their service won’t beat Nextel’s
sub-one-second latency, they will win over customers with other advantages
such as a variety of PTT enabled handsets. Although Sprint has not given a
date for the launch of Ready Link, many industry analysts believe that it will
be launched within the next two months; just before WLNP goes into affect.

In an effort to make their PTT service better than the competitor’s Nextel
just launched direct connect (DC) service in a small port of Northern
Mexico. Some of those places include Tijuana, Ensenada, Rosarito,
Mexicali and Tecate. Users will be able to use their DC and wireless data
service at no charge if they have a national plan, and can make voice calls
for 20 cents a minute. This improvement is targeted at the more than 800
U.S. companies with manufacturing facilities on the Mexican border near
San Diego, as well as its Hispanic customers who often travel to northern
Baja.

Motorola has announced that it is developing a new handset to compliment
Aston Martin’s new DB9 sports car. The V600 from Motorola will include
Bluetooth, a digital camera, PIM, color screen and advanced messaging
applications. Car nuts can check out more info on the DB9 here and cell
phone nuts can get more info on the V600 here.

Nokia has announced a new phone that will allow users to design their own
phone covers. The phone includes three cutout designs that be used with
the phone, users will also be able to print out designs on plain 60-136gsm
paper. The phone will include features such as a digital camera; color
display, EDGE support and a built-in FM radio. This phone should go on
sale before the end of the year.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/32879

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/