Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: NPSPAC Software Rewrite

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:20:37 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Cliff Bailey" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NPSPAC Software Rewrite

Alan,

With all due respect, I personally know "how fast" Motorola would 
react to this band reorg.  Dont forget we are not just talking 
mobiles and portables here.  They will have to go out and hire 
additional software engineers for starters.  To gear up to rewrite 
the HP Openview/Unix based Smartzone controller software would take 
at least a year.  I would be willing to bet a decent wager that you 
would not see software for Smartnet and Smartzone controllers for at 
least 3 years. Debugging will take alot of time.  Let alone the 
software re-write needed for as you call them legacy radios.  I am 
including not only the "legacy" radios like STX, but also current 
production MTS2000, MCS2000, Astro Spectras (all flavors), and the 
brand new XTS2500/5000's and the just released XTL5000.  Even though 
these new XTS/XTL series radios do Project 25, the firmware for 
supporting APCO 16 protocols (3600 baud control ch) will have to be 
redone.  The ancient 6809 controllers will not be a picnic for them 
to dig into to fix up for this NPSPAC move.  Most new software 
engineers will say 6809 who???

Side note....as an example, Motorola was extremely slow getting 
their RSS software rewritten and debugged for the Windows platform 
and Y2K.  They couldn't tackle it all at once and picked their best 
sellers to migrate first.  They made promises they couldn't keep.

Bottom line, nobody knows how fast this can be worked out and since 
Nextel wants this on a "fast track", it won't happen.  Better to 
spend time doing real engineered fixes and iron clad coordinations 
and have Nextel reduce their low site composite ERP down to 
something respectable AND comparable to CDMA technologies.

Cliff Bailey

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/