Subject: [NEXTEL-1] A Free Wi-Fi Day from Intel on Sept 25

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:49:30 -0400

Go Wireless, It's on Intel
  By   Colin C. Haley

Intel (Quote, Company Info) will offer free Wi-Fi access via thousands 
of U.S. hotspots during a Sept. 25 publicity event dubbed One Unwired 
Day.

In addition, the Santa Clara, Calif., company will sponsor "festivals" 
in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle, with live music, 
product demonstrations and drawings for laptops, wireless home 
networking products and access cards.

Machines with Centrino chips will also be at those sites for users who 
do not already have Wi-Fi enabled laptops or personal digital 
assistants.

"Those cities offer great cross section of mobile professionals as well 
as a large number of hotspots," Intel marketing manager Michael 
Buerchner told internetnews.com.

Co-sponsors include other companies interested in increasing the number 
of Wi-Fi users, including access point operators, hardware and software 
vendors, service providers and content producers.

Among them are: Cometa Networks, IBM, MUSICMATCH, Panasonic Computer 
Solutions Company, PC Club, SurfHere Service by Toshiba, T-Mobile USA, 
Toshiba, Verizon and Warner Bros. Records/Reprise Records.

Buerchner declined to detail the terms of the agreements with 
co-sponsors.

The event, which will be supported by a mult-media marketing blitz, is 
reminiscent of the activities surrounding the launch of Centrino in 
March, when Intel hired 75 people to fan out over Manhattan to educate 
workers about mobile Internet access. Advertising for that launch cost 
about $300 million.

The events culminated in an evening concert by pop group Barenaked 
Ladies back at Hammerstein Ballroom, tickets for which were given away 
at computer stores. (Barenaked Ladies was not new to Intel: The band 
played Bryant Park to celebrate the launch of the Pentium IV mobile 
processor in April 2002.)

http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/3068271

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/