Subject: [NEXTEL-1] JPMorgan reports that Sprint PTT should equal Nextel

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:04:05 -0000

Push to talk. We had several discussions regarding a pending "push 
to talk" product (PTT) and we had a couple of takeaways.

• PCS is closely watching market acceptance of the Verizon Wireless 
product, as investors and industry analysts have been initially 
disappointed by the performance of VZW's PTT. Oliver Valente noted 
PCS's PTT product will have a different performance profile 
(compared to VZW) given their use of a different vendor among other 
specification changes.

• The company has field-tested this product with existing Nextel 
(NXTL-N) PTT users and the company reported that NXTL's customers 
were indifferent between the latency of PCS vs NXTL (surprising). 
One trick that the company appears to use is that in the initial 
call set-up, only the data channel for the call needs to be set-up 
to initiate a call compared to VZW, which is waiting to open up both 
data channels (the caller and receiver) – in this method, the 
latency is therefore about half that of VZW, or 5 seconds or less.

• As for pricing, the company did not make any specific reference to 
pricing nor any marketing plans (obvious given competitive issues). 
The company did make one interesting comment, however, it noted that 
today, "mobile to mobile" is charged about $5 per month above 
existing rate plans and the company did not see how this could be 
considerably more expensive than that (today, PTT adds about $15 per 
month). Our takeaway is that PTT may be priced closer to $5 per 
month by PCS, particularly since Vision customers today pay a flat 
rate of $15 per month for unlimited access to Vision.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/