Subject: [NEXTEL-1] IEEE Adopts New 802 Standard

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 23:25:46 -0400

IEEE Adopts New 802 Standard
 
By Wireless Week Staff
September 3, 2003

The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) introduced a new
802.15.4 standard aimed at creating a wireless niche to provide low-data-rate
connectivity between relatively simple devices.

'This is an enabling standard,' said Pat Kinney, chair of the IEEE 802.15 Task
Group 4. 'It builds a framework so existing low-end wired devices can participate
in wireless networks and also creates a path for many new applications.' The
standard addresses fixed, portable and moving devices that operate at data rates
of 10 kbps to 250 kbps. A sampling of inexpensive applications include sensors and
switches for industrial and residential use; smart tags and badges; interactive
toys; and inventory tracking.

Wireless links under the standard can operate in three unlicensed frequency bands.
When lines of communication exceed 30 feet, the 802.15.4 standard allows for the
creation of self-configuring, multihop network topologies, IEEE said.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=document&doc_id=125630&verticalID=34&vertical=Business+and+Finance&industry=

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/