Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Distributed Backhaul drives OPEX higher.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:10:45 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
 "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]> wrote:

 Jack Daniel 
<JackDaniel@R...> wrote:
> Andy,
> 
> I agree with your excellent presentation but I'd like to inject an
> additional consideration.
> 
> Knowing for years these objections to cell sites exist, I 
challenge the
> cellular industry to do little out-of-the-box thinking and come up 
with
> ways to satisfy the public rather that wait them out.
> 
> The thought that immediately came to mind was smaller, lower 
powered
> equipment that can be unobtrusively distributed throughout the 
desired
> coverage area but the real objective is to distribute the RF 
signals
> unobtrusively and inexpensively.
> 
> Taking pages from Cricket, Metricom and cable operators, it seems 
to me
> a number of low power miniature amplified antennas could be co-
located
> with existing cable and power utility facilities. That is as pole
> attachments, service enclosures when the utilities are 
underground, atop
> street lights, even fake curb side mailboxes.
> 

This is a nutty idea.

Are you even remotely familiar with frequency planning and reuse 
patterns? Secondly dramatically increasing the number of "colo"/RE 
partners is problematic (ie. higher costs, and longterm uncertainty) 
from an admin standpoint. Thirdly all these little buggers need 
BACKHAUL. Distributed Backhaul drives OPEX higher.

Not sure why you mention Cricket, because its CDMA, but Metricom 
paid the local city governments 5% of revenues for pole access fees, 
and then they marketed 2.4Ghz service, while using 900mhz for the 
mesh backhaul. Not very scalable, and we all know what happened to 
it. MSO's (ie cable operators) also pay a monopoly franchise fee to 
the city for pole and right of way access rights.

My motto is to not solve or even focus on the symptoms, but instead 
address the causation. What you suggest is all symptom oriented, 
imvho.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy quality ink cartridges & refill kit. Remanufactured & Refills for:
HP $8-20, Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15. FREE shipping over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6347
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lB7L3D/k5uGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/