Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cofetel to launch trunking spectrum auction Sept.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:41:38 -0400

Cofetel to launch trunking spectrum auction Sept.
August 29, 2003 2:05pm
BNamericas.com

Mexico's telecoms regulator Cofetel plans to call an auction for a nationwide
trunking concession in the 800MHz band this September, a Cofetel source told
BNamericas.
The auction should be closed and the spectrum awarded before year-end, the source
said. Cofetel has yet to set a minimum bid price for the 20-year concession.

Local daily El Financiero reported on Thursday that the government-sponsored
auction could bring in up to US$500mn, but the source played this down, saying,
"US$500mn is a very exaggerated amount. No one knows what price Cofetel will set,"
the source said.
The authorities have not issued new trunking spectrum in the 800MHz band since the
telecoms law of 1995 was passed, in part because of bureaucratic inertia at
Cofetel during the last three years.

Gustavo Cantu, chairman of the trunking association Amcot and spokesperson for
operator Nextel Mexico, has said on several occasions the lack of spectrum has
prevented trunking operators from digitalizing their networks and extending
service to new markets.

Nextel Mexico, whose 580,700 subscribers represent 85% of the trunking market, is
the most likely bidder in the upcoming auction. The company is in the process of
buying three rival companies to boost its spectrum holdings.

"We haven't had official notification from Cofetel [about the auction]. From
Nextel's point of view we have always said that the spectrum should be freed up
whether it be through auction or assignation," Cantu told BNamericas.

In the past trunking concessions were issued for a city, highway corridor, or the
area of coverage of a single base station. In Cantu's opinion the most efficient
way for Cofetel to release new spectrum would be to divide the country into basic
service areas, or subregions, rather than through the old scheme of awarding
concessions for cities and highways.

However, it remains to be seen if Cofetel will follow through on its intention to
free up more trunking spectrum or keep the industry waiting in limbo.

http://www.hoovers.com/free/news/detail.xhtml?ArticleID=NR200308293200.1_89f80008836af698

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:46:53 -0400

I wonder what kind of "Scam Plan" Timmy has in store for Mexico???

Whatever it is I bet he wants something for FREE!