Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Time Warner Sues Apt.Over Wireless Theft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 02:21:07 -0400

Time Warner Sues Apt.Over Wireless Theft

By Harry Berkowitz
Staff Writer

September 15, 2003

Cable theft has evolved into piracy of high-speed Internet access, Time
Warner Cable of New York claims.

The cable company Monday sued iNYC Wireless and London Terrace Towers, a
large apartment complex in the Chelsea section of Manhattan, saying they
rerouted and resold Road Runner access without permission.

They did so with the help of high-powered wireless-fidelity, or Wi-Fi,
transmitters spread through the apartment complex, Time Warner Cable said in
the suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan.

"iNYC's theft and resale has unjustly renriched iNYC," the suit claims.
Customers of iNYC did not know about the illegal activity, the suit says.

Jeff Schwartz, a lawyer for the London Terrace board of directors, said,
"London Terrace knows nothing about this and denies any wrongdoing." A call
to iNYC was not returned.

Time Warner Cable said iNYC Wireless reached a point where it stopped paying
Verizon Communications for Internet access over T1 connections and started
tapping into Road Runner lines in the apartments of some building
superintendents. Many of the superintendents were getting complimentary
service from Time Warner.

The service called iNYC Wireless, based in Brooklyn, charges $39.99 per
month and a one-time fee of $150 for its Wi-Fi receiving card. It
distributes the service wirelessly over high-powered transmitters and
amplifiers in buildings.

Time Warner Cable, which has 300,000 Road Runner customers in New York City,
charges $44.95 to $59.95 per month and connects through cable modems.

On its Web site, iNYC says it focuses on adding "smart building functions
that will grow out of our relationships with building staff, ownership and
residents."

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzwifi0916,0,4349.story?coll=ny-business-headlines

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/