Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Road warriors can stay connected without wires

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:39:28 -0400

http://newsobserver.com/24hour/technology/story/1014949p-7125643c.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

classified | jobs | real estate | cars | shopping | things to donewsobserver.com | sports

travel | weddings | movies | dining | nightlife | prize centerregister | log in | log out | help | site map

Site Updated: 11:36 PM | TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2003

Preschool on bond wish list

Wake County wants to spend $2.6 million to create the first dedicated pre-kindergarten center built by any Triangle school system.

Juror dismissed in Peterson trial

A juror was dismissed on the 54th day of the Mike Peterson murder trial this morning because she knows one of the prosecution's witnesses.

Consumer confidence falls

Consumer confidence dropped more than expected in September, dragged down by a sluggish job market.

FBI arrests prison camp translator

A physician working as a translator at the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was arrested today, a federal law enforcement official said.

Flu-shot warnings focus on children

Health officials worry about a tough flu season and the possible return of SARS. A nasal spray is also available.

Epithet shows cultural divide

Troops turn title of respect into 'trivializing' slur for Iraqis, others.

More lacking health coverage in N.C., U.S.

North Carolina was among the nation's leaders in the percentage of people who lost health insurance in 2002, the U.S. Census Bureau said Monday.

It's playoff time

The eight survivors of a grueling 162-game schedule begin baseball's second season with one goal in mind: a World Series crown.

ECU's tough times

The 0-4 football team is just part of story.

A fine place to land

Using regional jets, Delta quietly claims a major spot at RDU.

Trials start in scandals

Jury selection begins for a former investment banker and Tyco's former chief executive.

Tuesday, September 30, 2003 5:28PM EDT

Road warriors can stay connected without wires

By SCOTT DOGGETT, LOS ANGLES TIMES

(TMS) - Need to get online easily and cheaply with your laptop while
waiting at airports, meetings or on long flights? Wish you could call
several people instantaneously, even when cell phone calls can't
connect?

These and other enhancements now are possible, thanks to three
recent technological advances that are helping road warriors stay
connected.

related

Wi-Fi basics: It's all in the cards

Airport Wi-Fi 'hot spots'

Progress in wireless Internet access, through so-called Wi-Fi
technology, is enabling business travelers to access e-mail with
laptops or hand-held devices at major airports, hotels, restaurants
and other public venues. Even some workplaces are installing the
service, enabling meeting participants to stay online while conducting
business.

Push-to-talk phones, providing walkie-talkie-like service with
access across the United States, allow travelers to reach several
people coast-to-coast simultaneously in less than a second. They also
serve as convenient backups when cell phone calls can't get through.
Competition is heating up, as Nextel Communications Inc.'s dominance
in this field is being challenged by Verizon Wireless and other
telecom giants.

And breakthroughs in in-flight text messaging are allowing
passengers to stay online, at low cost, for an entire flight. United
and Continental airlines are offering such services, with more
carriers to follow.

Such advances bring closer the promise of travelers staying
connected 24/7.

Wi-Fi

The most prominent and fastest growing of these advances is Wi-Fi,
which offers inexpensive Internet access at venues frequented by
travelers.

Wi-Fi, short for wireless fidelity, consists of a small transmitter
that radiates high-speed Internet connections as much as 300 feet via
radio waves. Newer laptops automatically detect Wi-Fi enabled areas,
called "hot spots." Others easily can be made to do so by inserting
a wireless card.

Thus, people with Wi-Fi enabled laptops or personal digital
assistants are just a few clicks away from being online. Hot spots
increasingly are found in hotels, coffeehouses and airline VIP
lounges, as well as city parks, college campuses and restaurants. The
Marriott, Omni, Hyatt, Four Seasons, Fairmont, Sheraton, W, Westin and
Wyndham hotel chains also offer Wi-Fi at some or all of their
properties. Hot spots can be found in the international terminal and
terminals 7 and 8 at Los Angeles International Airport, in dozens of
Starbucks coffee shops across Los Angeles, in several Borders
bookstores and throughout the USC campus, to name a few of many local
venues. Companies are quickly announcing plans to install additional
hot spots in trains, planes and ferries - even in
recreational-vehicle parks and gas stations.

But despite this rush to create hot spots - and huge capital
outlays for Wi-Fi equipment by Intel Corp., Microsoft Corp., Cisco
Systems Inc., AT&T Corp. and other high-tech titans - experts say it
will be at least several years before hot spots are common. Until
then, finding them may be hit or miss.

Excluding airline clubs and frequent-flier lounges, only about a
dozen airports in the United States - the global leader in Wi-Fi
rollout - have a hot spot, and few hotels charging less than $75 a
night offer Wi-Fi to guests. (Visit www.wifinder.com or
www.wifi411.com for hot spot locations.) However, with time Wi-Fi will
be pervasive, experts agree. William Clark, a principal at technology
research firm Gartner Inc., estimates there will be 28,680 public hot
spots in North America and 71,079 worldwide by year's end, and those
numbers will double in five years.

Fueling the growth: Wi-Fi is cheap, and getting cheaper. Many hot
spots already are available free because of rising competition. The
most widely deployed Wi-Fi access card - the 802.11b, a saltine-thin
device that slips into a laptop - sells for about $45, down from $100
earlier this year.

Most technologies evolve sporadically, with varying degrees of
awareness and acceptance. Wi-Fi, in contrast, has achieved global
recognition rapidly and its user base is mushrooming. John Yunker, an
analyst at Pyramid Research, anticipates the number of worldwide Wi-Fi
users to soar from 9 million presently to more than 700 million by
2008.

Yunker expects hotels to lead the Wi-Fi charge over the next year,
followed by fast-food restaurants and specialty locations such as
entertainment venues, truck stops and bookstores. Only about 1,000
hotels worldwide offered Wi-Fi at the start of this year. That figure
will climb to 25,000 by 2007, he predicted.

Airports worldwide have been slower than hotels to establish hot
spots. But there too change is occurring.

"For the jet-setting crowd, you should, in a couple of years, be
able to walk into an international airport anywhere in the world and
expect to get on Wi-Fi," Gartner's Clark said.

Companies increasingly are creating hot spots for employees, aware
that business travel doesn't necessarily mean leaving the country or
even leaving town.

At Pasadena-based Jet Propulsion Laboratory, most buildings are
rigged for Wi-Fi. Mark Adler, deputy mission manager on the Mars
exploration-rover program there, said wireless Internet access has
changed how the Mars team works.

Team members spend most meeting time with their laptops open,
sending and responding to e-mail, he said. As conversation shifts from
one subject to another, co-workers alert those in the room who should
do so to log off and tune in.

"It actually works out OK, because even though not everybody will
be paying attention to the meeting, if you need to pay attention you
get woken up," Adler said. "It's like, 'Hey, Rob, you need to listen
to this.' But you're there. You get a lot of stuff done that way."

Likewise, Parsons Corp., the giant planning, engineering and
construction firm based in Pasadena, has started installing Wi-Fi on
its premises to facilitate meetings.

Chuck Harrington, president of the company's Commercial Technology
Group, said Wi-Fi is particularly helpful to Parsons' visitors. During
breaks, they can attend to e-mail or access files off Parsons' servers
to prepare for presentations, without having to search for an empty
office and phone jack.

Many business travelers are taking a wait-and-see approach toward
Wi-Fi. But Clark said there's no need to wait. He noted that people
strolling through the financial district of any large American city
with an eye on their Wi-Fi enabled devices would see Wi-Fi networks
appear and disappear. Some of the networks charge a fee, but others
don't.

Walkie-Talkie Phones

Nextel has been offering push-to-talk technology on a regional
basis for a decade as an option on some Motorola-made cellular phones.
But the Virginia-based wireless telephone company recently extended
its coverage nationwide.

Although the Nextel Motorola phone also offers cellular dialing,
the push-to-talk feature allows near-instant connection - there's no
ring time, waiting for the other party to pick up - which can be
helpful to persons on the road and in a hurry. Travelers also benefit
because push-to-talk generally provides better reception than cellular
technology inside buildings, such as airports and train stations.

Verizon Wireless last month began offering a Motorola phone with a
push-to-talk feature that utilizes circuit-based networks. AT&T
Wireless, Cingular Wireless and other U.S. carriers will do the same
in the coming months. But unlike Nextel's Direct Connect service,
which is based on a standard ideal for near-instant party-to-party
connectivity, the service offered by the other companies will suffer
from a time-lag problem - think of ring delay without the ring.

The major disadvantage of push-to-talk technology is that the other
party also must be using a push-to-talk phone. Always being connected
can be disadvantageous as well. "If you don't want to be reached
instantly, it can be a bother," said Craig Mathias, a principal of
Farpoint Group, an Ashland, Mass., advisory firm specializing in
mobile technologies.

For some people, the push-to-talk feature is a good backup.

Dan Estrada, a quality project manager at the Metropolitan Transit
Authority in Los Angeles, spends much of his working day outside the
office. He likes the fact that if he's having trouble getting cellular
reception, he can try push-to-talk, and vice versa. One usually will
work when the other won't.

Estrada likes the walkie-talkie feature for another reason: Like
instant messaging, the last party contacted remains on the screen
after a chat for easy reconnection. That allows for numerous
back-and-forth connections without having to go to an address book,
find the party's name, hit a button and waiting for the other party to
pick up.

With Verizon in the fray and others to follow, rates are expected
to fall. Nextel subscribers pay on average $67 a month for phone plans
that include cellular and Direct Connect features, or $13 more than
most people pay for their cellular-only plans.

In-Flight E-Mail

E-mail access on airline flights has been available for years. But
until recently it was as if you had to sell your home to pay for
e-mailing at 37,000 feet.

Continental and United airlines now offer inexpensive in-flight
e-mail and instant messaging services on a growing number of flights.
Their JetConnect service is provided by Seattle-based Tenzing
Communications and Verizon Airfone, a subsidiary of Verizon
Communications.

Customers access JetConnect by plugging their laptops into jacks on
Verizon Airfone handsets on seatbacks of 123 Continental and 110
United planes. Those numbers will grow to 411 for Continental and 525
for United by year's end, and Cathay Pacific will equip its entire
75-plane fleet with JetConnect next year, Tenzing Chief Executive Alan
McGinnis said.

Users pay $6 for one-way text messaging or $16 for two-way e-mail
for the flight; there is no per-minute charge. There is a per-kilobyte
charge for each e-mail more than 2 kilobytes. So, uploading or
downloading large files will cost an additional 10 cents for every
kilobyte over the two allowed. Boeing Co. will roll out a competing
service in March, beginning with transatlantic and Asia-Europe routes
flown by Lufthansa and British Airways. A Boeing spokesman said fees
of $25 to $35 for an international flight, and lower for a domestic
flight, are being considered. Users must install software to use the
service.

tools

printer friendly version

send this story to a friend

subscribe to our e-mail lists

get news, weather, movies on your PDA

advertisement

Go To Section
Home
24 Hour News

News
- Triangle
- NC
- Columnists
- North Raleigh News
- Q
- NC News (24h)
- Nation (24h)
- World (24h)

- Politics (24h)

Editorials
- Editorials
- Letters
- Columnists
- Opinions (24h)

Business
- RTP/NC
- Technology
- Columnists
- NC Business (24h)
- Business (24h)
- Technology (24h)
- Stocks

Sports
- College
- Preps
- Professional
- Outdoors

- Columnists
- NC Sports (24h)
- Sports (24h)

Features
- A & E
- Home
- Life, etc.
- Sunday Journal
- Travel
- What's Up
- Columnists
- Science (24h)
- Entertainment (24h)

Help
- Searches
- Contact Us
- Tools
- Site Maps
- FAQ
- Policies

Classified
- Apartments
- Autos
- Jobs
- Personals
- Travel
- Weddings

Shopping

Help ||
Feedback ||
Contact Us ||
Parental Consent ||
Privacy Policy ||
User Agreement

© Copyright 2003, The News & Observer Publishing Company. All material found on triangle.com (including newsobserver.com,
carynews.com,
chapelhillnews.com,
smithfieldherald.com, and
easternwakenews.com) is copyrighted The News & Observer Publishing Company and associated news services. No material may be reproduced or reused without explicit permission from The News & Observer Publishing Company, Raleigh, North Carolina.

The News & Observer Publishing Company is owned by The McClatchy Company.