Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push To Talk Comes To Shove

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:19:08 -0400

Push To Talk Comes To Shove

Verizon Wireless can air TV ads implying that an unnamed competitors two-way radio
feature doesn't provide as much coverage as its recently launched service does,
but Nextel Communications [Nasdaq: NXTL] wants to know if you've got coverage in
Tijuana? Nextel on Tuesday said its Nationwide Direct Connect two-way radio
service now extends to the northern region of the Mexican state of Baja
California, which includes the cities of Ensenada, Mexicali, Rosarito, Tecate and
Tijuana. Nextel customers traveling in the region also can use data services
including two-way messaging, e-mail and Web access.

Verizon Wireless in August became the first of what is expected to be multiple
mobile operators to add walkie-talkie-like service enabled by the implementation
of next- generation networks.  However, Nextel, which has wielded the push-to-talk
feature enabled by its first-generation iDEN infrastructure as its biggest selling
point, doesn't agree that Verizon Wireless or any other carrier should also be
allowed to use "push to talk" as a service name. Nextel has asked the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office for a trademark for "Push To Talk," and has filed a lawsuit
in U.S.  District Court in Delaware to stop Verizon Wireless from using the phrase
for its walkie-talkie service.

                  http://www.telecomweb.com/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/