Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Network Billed As Capable of Weathering a Terrorist Attack Collapses

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 20:50:58 -0400

"Detroit also lost its 911 system. The Motor City’s government phone network
collapsed, as did its brand-new Nextel cellphone system, which had been billed as
capable of weathering a terrorist attack."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 29, 2003
Nextel Network Billed As Capable of Weathering a Terrorist Attack Collapses
Response to blackout exposes homeland security weaknesses
By Siobhan Gorman, National Journal

New York City’s 911 emergency system failed. Then the computer-aided dispatch
system for its fire department and rescue squads crashed. The fire department had
to monitor its trucks and personnel manually because the computer tracking system
couldn’t boot up. During the Blackout of 2003, the scene in New York was calm,
yet—from a security perspective—anything but confidence-inspiring.

Anyone who saw the Aug. 14 photos of stranded New Yorkers streaming out of the
city can easily imagine a plot to cut the city’s power and then blow up the
Brooklyn Bridge, killing hundreds or thousands of pedestrians. While federal,
state, and local officials heralded their responses to the blackout as proof of
how far they’ve come since Sept. 11, some homeland-security experts say the
blackout was yet another warning siren.

“As we’re approaching the second anniversary of Sept.11, the past weeks have shown
that our efforts to prepare for the next catastrophic attack have in many respects
been a miserable failure,” declared John Cohen, a homeland-security consultant who
is preparing Detroit’s post-blackout report. “If we can’t handle a major blackout,
what’s going to happen if and when we do have a catastrophic emergency with a
large number of injuries?”

Detroit also lost its 911 system. The Motor City’s government phone network
collapsed, as did its brand-new Nextel cellphone system, which had been billed as
capable of weathering a terrorist attack. When Homeland Security Secretary Tom
Ridge needed to reach Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick the day after the blackout
began, a Ridge assistant called Cohen, who runs a Maryland-based consulting firm
that counts Detroit as a client.  Cohen called the mayor’s emergency operations
center and left word for Kilpatrick to call Ridge’s aide. Cohen was dumbfounded
that the department needed him as a go-between.  “In the case of Detroit,” he
lamented, “not a whole lot of useful information came from the department to the
city.”

State-level homeland-security officials also complain that they were out of the
federal loop. On Aug. 14, 40 of them were in Indianapolis for a powwow. The
security chiefs first found out about the crisis from colleagues back home, not
from the department, even though its No. 2 official for state outreach was
attending the gathering.

“None of us received any talking points or information [from the department] as to
why and how they deduced it was not terrorism,” said Clifford Ong, Indiana’s
director of homeland security. He heard nothing from the department until a
regularly scheduled conference call the following week.

Homeland security directors from the affected states fared better on the
communication front. Pennsylvania’s Keith Martin first learned about the outage
from his emergency crew at home, but then heard from the department three times
the day of the blackout. “I do have a direct inside line into the Homeland
Security Department,” he said. “They can find me anywhere, at any time.” In a
speech last week to the Heritage Foundation, Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security
Gordon England characterized his department as “the communications hub” during the
blackout.

Part of the new department’s charge is to determine whether an emergency was
caused by terrorism. And the blackout threw a harsh spotlight on a decision-making
process that might charitably be described as needing work.

Josh Filler, the department’s top liaison to state and local governments, happened
to be on the phone with an aide to New York Gov. George E. Pataki when the lights
flickered out. Filler rushed to the department’s emergency center and had
everybody rifle through their Rolodexes and start calling contacts in the
electricity industry, local government, and the intelligence agencies. Top
officials at the North American Electric Reliability Council received multiple
calls. When department leaders gathered enough information to conclude that the
outage was probably the result of a system overload, they ruled out terrorism.
One insider characterized the process as “rampant ad hocery.”

Just five hours into the blackout, President Bush declared, “The one thing I think
I can say for certain is that this was not a terrorist act.” Four days later,
Ridge tempered that assessment, telling governors, “At least to date, there is no
indication whatsoever that there was any kind of terrorist involvement at all.
Obviously, it is still under investigation.”
England further softened the claim on Aug.20, telling the Heritage Foundation, “At
this early stage in the investigation, we have found no evidence of terrorism.”

When did Indiana’s Ong become convinced the blackout wasn’t terrorism? “I’m still
not there,” he said. “Until they can give me an affirmative response [identifying
the cause], why would we rule out anything?”

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0803/082903nj3.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Madden, Roger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:15:26 -0400

"Nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong,---"  HAL, in the movie 2001.
 
"We are fully prepared---" Department of Homeland (In)Security, 2003.
 
Roger
____________

	-----Original Message----- 
	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Mon 9/1/2003 8:50 PM 
	To: [email-masked]; WFHSG 
	Cc: 
	Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Network Billed As Capable of Weathering a Terrorist Attack Collapses

	
	August 29, 2003