Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Radio call for help

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:25:38 -0400

MRT- Sept 2003

Radio call for help
Lompoc, California

I think there are significant technical and ethical issues underlying the
economic shortfall for First Responders. On Internet radio programming
bulletin boards, there is a constant flow of messages from volunteer fire
and ambulance crews seeking donations of radio equipment.

What's even more troubling are the frequent requests for copies of
proprietary radio programming software from people who obviously don't
 have a clue about how to properly program a complex radio, let alone
design, license, and install a working system. A recent posting by a
firefighter stated that his department just bought several Motorola CDM1550
mobile radios, and could someone please send him a copy of the latest CPS? I
responded that his department could afford to buy the software, if they
could afford to buy the radios!

Another posting from a paramedic sought information about programming his
personal HT1250 with the local police, fire and sheriff repeaters
 so that he could get help while hunting or hiking. Although many other list
members were vehement that he could not legally operate on just any Public
Safety frequency merely because he was a paramedic, he insisted that he had
the authority to program and use his radio on any frequency he wanted. The
prospect of technically naive people buying up obsolete and/or mismatched
radio equipment and putting the same on the air,
 with no regard for proper licensing, coordination, or routine bench checks
for FCC compliance, is frightening!

Eric Lemmon

 http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_consensus_plan_fails/index.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/