Subject: [NEXTEL-1] North Carolina Woman Uses Cell Phone to Save Life

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:52:46 -0400

North Carolina Woman Uses Cell Phone to Save Life

A North Carolina woman used her cell phone to notify authorities of her abduction.
The event unfolded Friday morning when the accused abductor approached the woman,
accosted her and put her in the trunk of his car. At that time, the victim phoned
her boyfriend who sought out help from city police to look for the vehicle. After
the driver lost control of the car, causing it to roll over, police were able to
catch the criminal and save the woman.

====================================================================================

Article published Sep 20, 2003
Woman uses cell phone to alert authorities after man abducts her

A woman credited her cellular phone with leading authorities to the man who
abducted her from a parking lot.
Steven Floyd Collins, of North Carolina, is accused of approaching Shannon Haight
in the parking lot of a Bar S distribution center Friday morning, asking her for
directions, then accosting her and putting her in the trunk of his car,
authorities said.
Haight called her boyfriend, Mark Smith, and described the car, a silver Lexus.
Smith then called Elk City police, who went looking for the vehicle with the help
of Beckham County Sheriff's deputies and the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.
Troopers spotted the vehicle south of Canute and pursued the car through the town
before losing sight of it.
Police received a call that the vehicle was on Interstate 40.

"OHP Trooper Paul Christian was driving the OHP Camaro and caught back up with
him," said Police Chief Bill Putnam.
As the car left I-40, the driver lost control of the vehicle on an off-ramp and it
rolled. Putnam said troopers pried the trunk open and got Haight out.

Haight was transported to Great Plains Regional Medical Center with an injured
finger. Collins, 24, was booked into the Elk City jail and then transported to the
hospital for "blood tests to check for drugs and alcohol," Putnam said.
Lt. Chris West, a spokesman for the Highway Patrol, said law officers are excited
Haight came out of the ordeal OK.
"Had it not been for Shannon maintaining her wits and sanity, things might have
turned out different," West said.
Haight said she was just thankful that the police were there to find her.
"It took me a few minutes to remember I had my cell phone with me," H
aight said. "I called my boyfriend and was hysterical and crying, he couldn't
hardly understand me."

Police said even though she was in the trunk of the car, she gave information
about the condition of the road they were traveling and that allowed police to
find them.

"I knew it was going to be OK when I heard the police sirens," Haight said.
Collins sustained a back injury in the accident and was taken to an Oklahoma City
hospital for additional treatment.
He has outstanding warrants out of North Carolina for abduction and rape, police
said.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030920/APN/309200528&cachetime=5

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/