Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Govt Trial Lets Brisbane Go Wireless

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:42:03 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Govt Trial Lets Brisbane Go Wireless

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/display-statement.pl?
id=14202&db=media

5 September 2003
Govt Trial Lets Brisbane Go Wireless
Forget plugging into lines and modems, and carrying around suitcases of 
information. 

Thanks to a State Government initiative, Brisbane's CBD is now counting down 
the days until it goes 'wireless', with 20 sites that will trial highspeed 
wireless internet facilities.

I.T. Minister Paul Lucas has announced today that Queensland company Hotspot 
Global heads a consortium of local wireless technology companies and major 
national partners who have won the contract for the Queensland Government's Wi-
Fi pilot.

Mr Lucas said he was looking forward to announcing the 20 sites at the end of 
October, which will range from government office buildings to public areas in 
Brisbane's CBD.

"This technology means that people will be able to use wireless-enabled laptops 
and mobile devices to access the Internet, check emails, download files and 
access Queensland Government information services at any of these hotspots," Mr 
Lucas said.

"Access to the Queensland Government Gateway will be free, while other 
activities such as checking email and surfing the net will cost around 20 cents 
per minute.

"This trial is all about putting the technology in people's hands and letting 
them see the enormous potential for business and personal communications in the 
Smart State.

"It's also about making smarter use of government assets to achieve better 
outcomes for Queenslanders and helping the Smart State power ahead in the 
information age. 

"What's great about this initiative is that it's using government assets, such 
as government buildings, to deliver better services to the community at nominal 
cost."

Mr Lucas said the sites now being trialled include the Roma Street Railway 
Station, the Law Courts Complex, the Robina Railway Station and Suncorp Stadium.

"Ultimately, once we determine the 'hotspots' and announce the start of the 
trial, I'm hoping it will be so successful that we can expand it to many more 
sites across the state," Mr Lucas said.

"The real potential lies in delivering cheap broadband services in regional 
areas.

"We want to make sure that smart use of technology doesn't happen only in the 
southeast corner of the state but rather, right across Queensland."

Mr Lucas said the consortium selected for the trial included local companies 
Hotspot Global, IntraPower, iTEL and SnapGear.

Michael Whitehouse, of Hotspot Global, says the trial will mean people from any 
member ISP will be able to roam across government hotspots.

"It's a great step forward for our company and the entire wireless ecosystem, 
and it's a sign of future directions by governments around the world," Mr 
Whitehouse said.

Mr Lucas said the consortium also had national strength through partnerships 
with Optus Mobile, Sirocco and WebCentral.

"I'm delighted that global wireless chip manufacturer Intel is also supporting 
the trial as part of their wireless Internet marketing program," Mr Lucas said.

"Its involvement shows the level of excitement this trial is generating in the 
wireless communication industry."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/