Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Smallest Megapixel Camera Phone Module

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 03:06:19 -0400

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Sept2003/5782.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

<script src="http://scripts.cgispy.com/randombanner/javarbanner.cgi?user=3Gtelecoms" language="JavaScript">
</script>

3G
HOME ssAdvertising
and Sponsorship ssFREE
Daily 3G Newsletter

ALL
TODAY'S PRESS RELEASES SEE BELOW

Smallest
Megapixel Camera Phone Module

1st
September 2003

ASIA
: Sharp Corporation announces the development of the smallest (volume:
1.44cc) and the thinnest (thickness: 9.7mm) CCD megapixel camera module,
the LZ0P3721. The company will also simultaneously introduce the LZ0P3726
with built-in macro functionality. The LZ0P3721 and the LZ0P3726 will
be sample shipped in September 2003 and mass production of both will
begin in October of the same year.

Demand for camera-equipped
mobile phones continues to grow not only in Japan but in the rest of
the world as well. The two main classifications of cameras built into
mobile phones are the CIF class (100,000 pixels) and the VGA class (300,000
pixels), both of which have mainly been used to take simple pictures
to e-mail to friends or to take photo memos. With these images increasingly
being printed out or transferred to a PC for viewing, it has become
apparent that higher picture resolutions are needed. But the cameras
must be able to take higher resolution pictures without increasing the
size of the phone, which is why the development of small and thin CCD
camera modules is so important.

To develop such
a module, Sharp has drawn upon its proprietary technology and know-how
to combine a 1/4-inch mega-pixel CCD with a signal processing DSP, a
CCD periphery IC, lenses, and passive components, all of which come
together with smear-resistant Frame Interline Transfer*2 (FIT) technology
to form a compact megapixel CCD camera module with high resolution output
capabilities.

Sharp is looking
to help mobile phones evolve further by developing smaller and thinner
camera modules with increased functionality including higher resolution
and optical zoom.

Main Features

1. Smallest mega-pixel CCD camera module in the industry (cubic measurement:
1.44cc)

2. Thinnest mega-pixel CCD camera module on the market (thickness: 9.7mm)

3. Incorporating Frame Interline Transfer (FIT) CCD, realizing a minimum
subject illumination of 2 lux

4. Incorporating a high-powered electronic zoom function

5. Also announcing the LZ0P3726 featurs built-in macro (close-up photography)
function

Application Products

Mobile phones with cameras, PDAs, etc.

Model LZ0P3721

(Without Macro function) LZ0P3726

(With Macro function)

Sample price (not including tax) 11,000 yen 13,000 yen

Sample shipment September 2003

Volume production date October 2003

Monthly production volume 500,000 units (both models combined)

Specifications

Model LZ0P3721 LZ0P3726

Image sensor 1/4 type mega-pixel CCD

with Frame Interline Transfer (FIT) method

Module size 13.5mm x 11mm x 9.7mm thick

(cubic measurement: 1.44cc) 14mm x 12mm x 9.82mm thick

(cubic measurement: 1.65cc)

Macro (close up) function No Yes

Minimum subject illumination 2 lux at 5 fps

Pixel output 1144 (horizontal) x 880 (vertical)

Image output interface UYVY – 8 bit

Frame rate (maximum) 7.5 fps

Power consumption 650mW at 7.5 fps

Lens F-value F 2.8

NEC
e606 Phone Review
: Read
MORE

Free
3G Phones

TODAY'S
PRESS RELEASES

Smallest
Megapixel Camera Phone Module

Sharp
Corporation announces the development of the smallest and the thinnest CCD
megapixel camera module.

New
Samsung Phones On Show

SAMSUNG
Electronics’ new line of GSM wireless handsets, SGH-E700, SGH-X600,
and SGH-X100 made their debut in Frankfurt.

USD
100 Million TD-SCDMA Investment

Siemens
Mobile and Huawei Technologies Ltd announced, that they will join forces
to promote the upcoming mobile communication standard TD-SCDMA.

3G
Motorola A920 Handset

Motorola
and 3, the video mobile network, announced the arrival of their most advanced
handset to date - the Motorola A920.

China's
Global 3G Leadership

Alcatel
announced that R&D in 3G will constitute a significant portion of the
100 million US dollar R&D investment in China this year.

Test
Systems For TD-SCDMA Wireless

Like
Siemens, PRISMA Engineering is confident in the success of the TD-SCDMA
standard, which will soon be deployed in China.

3G
Home

3G
Forum

Subscribe
To Newsletter

3G
Press Releases

3G
Phone Zone

3G
Fun Zone

3G
New Launches

3G
Events

3G
Reports

3G
Directory

Advertise

All
Material Subject to Copyright. All logos, graphics and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.