Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Another airline permits cellphone use while on the ground

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 02:39:41 -0400

Another airline permits cellphone use while on the ground

Customers on Southwest Airlines have a bit more freedom 'to talk about the
country'with new cell phone use rules that went into effect in the USA yesterday.
Southwest Customers with cell phones onboard may now begin using them after the
flight attendant gives permission to do so upon landing at the destination and
taxi to the airport gate.

'This flexibility is just one more way Southwest is showing its Customers it is
the convenient, affordable, Customer-friendly choice,' said Colleen Barrett,
Southwest's president and chief operating officer.

Previously on Southwest, Customers could use their phones onboard upon boarding,
but only until the aircraft doors closed. Then, all cell phone power had to be
turned off until the aircraft was secured at the gate in the arrival city. Now,
instead of waiting until an arriving aircraft is parked at the gate and the door
is opened, Customers will be able to use their cell phones upon arrival in a city,
while the aircraft is taxiing to the arrival gate. Flight attendants onboard will
make announcements to let Customers know when it is OK to begin using a cell phone
or pager.

Southwest conducted the required Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) testing to
ensure that cell phones did not interfere with ground navigation equipment during
taxi. Its test results showed no avionics nor ground test anomalies.

Posted to the site on 03-Sep-03
http://www.cellular-news.com/story/9640.shtml

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/