Subject: [NEXTEL-1] KiSS Technologies Unveils New Wireless-Ready TV

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 04:13:16 -0400

KiSS Technologies Unveils New Wireless-Ready TV

A Danish wireless company is giving the world a taste of what TVs will
do in the future. KiSS Technology is showing off its PD342 Plasma TV
set that lets users connect to home networks, access video and music
files, view digital pictures stored on PCs and connect to the Internet for
multimedia content, all wirelessly. The TV also supports HDTV and has
a built in DVD player. Availability and price have not yet been
announced

===========================================================================================

TVs Join The Wireless Grid
Arik Hesseldahl, 09.02.03, 10:00 AM ET

NEW YORK - The next step for wireless Internet access has less to do with
your notebook PC than it does with your TV.

Now that Wi-Fi wireless networking technology is starting to speed up to 54
megabits per second and beyond, wireless connections will soon be suitably
fast enough to carry high-quality video streams stored either locally on a
home PC or server, or directly from the Internet itself.

Sony (nyse: SNE - news - people ) has
been talking about its plans to bring
network connections to its many home
appliances for about a year, though it
has thrown its lot in with IEEE 802.11a,
a variant of wireless networking
technology that isn't compatible with
Wi-Fi. An interesting new plasma TV
screen from KiSS Technology may
provide a hint of what to expect in the
coming year.

KiSS Technology, a small Danish company focused on DVD products, has
been showing its 42-inch PD342 plasma screen TV at a trade show in
Germany.

The set has integrated support for wireless Internet access, which should
allow it to connect to your home network as well as access video and music
files and digital photos stored on your PC, or connect to the Internet itself for
sound and video content.

It supports HDTV, has a built-in DVD player and is certified for DivX video. You
may remember DivX as the name of an abandoned flavor of DVD that retailer
Circuit City tried to push in the late '90s: Rent the disc and it would expire
after a certain date. It failed, but the name has been applied to an unrelated
type of video compression technology that lets users store DVD movies on
their hard drives and view them elsewhere.

KiSS hasn't yet specified price and availability information. But the set
certainly points the way of things to come. Within the next several months, you
can expect many more consumer electronics manufacturers to start making
more noise about wireless-ready TV sets in the high end of their product
offerings, with services and PC client software to follow.

http://www.forbes.com/home_asia/2003/09/02/cx_ah_0902tentech.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/