Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Camera Phone Gets Texas Student Three Days Detention

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:09:16 -0400

Camera Phone Gets Texas Student Three Days Detention

Using a camera phone can get you three days detention! That’s what officials
at a Texas public charter school are saying to a student that was caught using
his cellular phone to take pictures of what was noted as “gang-related
activities.” Por Vida Academy notified the police after confiscating the student's

cell phone, which stored pictures of students with drugs and guns in gang-
related activities. Por Vida Academy now bans the use of all cellular phones.

==================================================================================

KSAT.com
Student Gets Detention Over Cell Phone Pictures
Student Given 3 Day Detention
POSTED: 10:03 AM CDT September 4, 2003
UPDATED: 10:20 AM CDT September 4, 2003

SAN ANTONIO -- A student at a South Side public charter school was given three
days detention after school officials caught him with a cellular phone that
allegedly had pictures of "gang-related activities."

Officials at Por Vida Academy called police Tuesday after they confiscated the
student's cell phone. The phone has the capability of capturing still photos.
"Pictures of students with drugs, students with guns, and quite a few gang symbols
and gang- related activities going on," Por Vida Principal Steven Langseth said.

Langseth said the teenage boy was allegedly showing the pictures to other
students. "What I saw on that phone gives me a good picture of what that kid's
life is like," said Langseth . School superintendent Joseph Rendon said school
officials care about their students and it's important to figure out what's
happening in a student's academic life as well as their personal lives. Rendon
added the incident raised a red flag that signaled that some students may need
help with problems outside school.
All types of cellular phones are banned at Por Vida Academy.

http://www.ksat.com/education/2455457/detail.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/