Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Iraq licenses to be awarded within 10 days

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:33:28 -0400

Iraq licenses to be awarded within 10 days
By Jeffrey Silva
September 24 13:23:00, 2003

WASHINGTON—L. Paul Bremer, head of the U.S.-led occupational authority in Iraq,
today told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that mobile-phone licenses in
the war-torn country are about to being issued.
Bremer’s remarks came in response to questioning by Sen. John Sununu (R-N.H.), who
wanted to know why the three regional cellular licenses had yet to awarded in the
September timetable set by the Coalition Provisional Authority.
Bremer replied that September was not over, then quickly added: “It will be
[accomplished] in the next 10 days.”
Wireless firms and investors in the United States and overseas have grown
increasingly anxious about the licensing delay and the relatively closed process
used to evaluate mobile-phone applications in Iraq.

In addition to continued security challenges in Iraq—which has slowed rebuilding
efforts—there appears to be an evolving power struggle between the CPA and Iraqi
officials over future decision-making affecting telecom and other critical
infrastructures. Such a dynamic—and possibly lingering foreign ownership
concerns—may help explain why the mobile-phone licensing decision is taking longer
than expected.

Later today, Bremer testifies before the House Appropriations Committee in support
of President Bush’s request for $87 billion in supplemental funding for
reconstruction and military operations in Iraq. Of that total, $20.3 billion is
earmarked for Iraq reconstruction grants.

Nearly $4 billion would be set aside for restoration and expansion of
telecommunications, water resources, transportation, housing and construction,
health care and private sector development.

Bremer assured lawmakers there would be no sweetheart deals. “Every contract of
the $20 billion for Iraq will be competitively bid,” he stated.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15215

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/