Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Feds award $150M for responder systems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:56:34 -0400

http://www.fcw.com/geb/articles/2003/0922/web-fema-09-26-03.asp
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

SEARCH THE SITE

Advanced Search

ALSO ONLINE

Events Calendar

Letters Archive

Online Archive

Print Archive

Milt Zall Columns

Special Reports

NEWS BY TOPIC

Accessibility

CIOs

Columns

Defense

E-Government

Funding

Homeland Security

Industry

Intergovernmental

Law Enforcement

Management

Policy

Privacy

Procurement

Records Management

Seat Management

Security

State & Local

Technology

Telecom

Training

Workforce

READER SERVICE

Advertise

Contact us

Editorial Calendars

E-mail Newsletters

Linking to us

Links Disclaimer

Online Permission

Privacy Policy

Site Map

Subscriptions

Site Problems?

VENDOR          SOLUTIONS

PC Mall Catalog

IBM White Paper

HQ SSG Acquisitions Directorate

Adaptec White Paper

IT as a Utility

HP White Paper

GSA CONNECTIONS

SoftwareAG White Paper

ECS III

Feds award $150M for responder systems

BY Dibya Sarkar

Sept. 26, 2003

Printing? Use this version.

Email this to a friend.

RELATED LINKS

Homeland Security Department

"Congress passes DHS spending" [FCW.com, Sept. 25, 2003]

"Grants awarded for bomb detection" [FCW.com, Sept. 25, 2003]

"Funding woes hinder security assessments" [FCW.com, Sept. 4, 2003]

From Boston to Clallam County, Wash., 31 communities across the country have been awarded nearly $150 million in federal funds this week to help them develop demonstration programs of interoperable communications systems for first responders.

Agencies under the Homeland Security and Justice departments jointly administered the Interoperable Communications Technology Grant program. The funds are "intended to uncover solutions that will guide future communications funding" for other communities to develop interoperable systems, said Tom Ridge, DHS secretary.

DHS' Federal Emergency Management Agency will distribute nearly $80 million to 17 communities, while Justice's Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) awarded $66.5 million to another 14 municipalities.

The maximum federal contribution for each award is capped at $6 million; local communities contribute a 25 percent match. Funds will pay for communications equipment, enhancements to the communications infrastructure and project management expenses.

The competitive grant process was not open to all communities. The 50 largest metropolitan statistical areas in the country and the largest metro areas in each state were invited to apply for the COPS share of the funding. Additionally, governors were asked to nominate local jurisdictions to submit applications for FEMA's share. Proposals that included regional and cross-jurisdictional partnerships were encouraged.

Peer review panels — including representatives from the fire, law enforcement and emergency medical communities and from several federal programs — evaluated proposals.

Justice grants

Los Angeles

$6 million

San Jose, Calif.

$3.7 million

Orange County, Fla.

$6 million

Indianapolis

$6 million

Louisville, Ky.

$6 million

New Orleans

$5.5 million

Boston

$3.2 million

Baltimore

$5.1 million

Kansas City, Mo.

$2.7 million

Newark, N.J.

$2.8 million

Las Vegas

$5.996 million

Nassau County, N.Y.

$6 million

Columbus, Ohio

$2.5 million

Houston

$4.9 million

Homeland Security grants

Conway, Ark.

$2.1 million

Rehoboth Beach, Del.

$2.5 million

St. Clair County, Ill.

$6 million

Woodbury County, Iowa

$6 million

Worcester County, Md.

$5.6 million

Monroe County, Mich.

$6 million

Ramsey County, Minn.

$6 million

Independence, Mo.

$5.5 million

Lewis and Clark County, Mont.

$4.5 million

Grafton County, N.H.

$2.2 million

Erie County, N.Y.

$6 million

Tulsa, Okla.

$846,263

Westmoreland County, Pa.

$5.96 milion

Narragansett, R.I.

$3 million

Charlottesville/Albemarle County/UVA, Va.

$6 million

Clallam County, Wash.

$5.8 million

Harrison County, W.Va.

$5.7 million

Advertisement