Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Public Safety’s New Allocation— Answering Users’ Questions on the 4.9 Gigahertz Band

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:19:40 -0400

Public Safety’s New Allocation— Answering Users’ Questions on the 4.9 Gigahertz
Band

The Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) allocation of 50 megahertz (MHz) of
spectrum in Tthe 4.9  gigahertz (GHz) band allocation will now permits public
safety agencies to implement on-scene wireless networks for streaming video, rapid
Internet and database access, and transfers of large files such as maps, building
layouts, medical files, and missing person images., It also allows these agencies
orto establish temporary fixed links to support surveillance operations.  Thise
allocation of this 50 megahertz (MHz) by the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC) gives every jurisdiction in the country access to spectrum for deployable,
interoperable, broadband communications.

 What Does This New Allocation Mean for Public Safety Users?

This allocation offers public safety agencies an opportunity to deploy advanced
services not unavailable in other bands, such as permanent “hot spot” devices in
high-use areas or temporary incident command centers erected at an incident
scene.  Particular technologies could include wireless personal area networks
(WPAN), hot spot networks, and wireless vehicular area networks (WVAN). These
devices would facilitate creation of ad-hoc wireless networks around a person or
vehicle, personal telematics, voice, data, video, image, or biometric
transmissions, and immediate, high-speed access to information.

Who Is Eligible to Use the 4.9 GHz Public Safety Band?

Similar to the 700 MHz band, licensees must fulfill all three of the following
requirements—
1.) Have as their the sole purpose the protection of life, health, or property
2.) Be a state or local government entity or non-government entity authorized by a
local or state public safety entity
3.) Provide services that are not commercially available to the public.
Non-government organizations seeking licensing to support public safety operations
in a particular jurisdiction must obtain written approval from a sponsoring public
safety entity in that jurisdiction.

What Are the Licensing Rules?

The FCC has implemented a geographic licensing scheme for mobile applications. A
license grants a public safety agency authorization to use all 50 MHz of spectrum
within its legal jurisdiction whether that jurisdiction is a state, town, city, or
county. However, fixed point-to-point operations require an individual license for
each station and can only be used for temporary operations on a primary basis, or
for permanent operations on a secondary basis. Different licensees that are
adjacent and collocated share all frequencies. These sharing agencies are
responsible for Iinterference prevention, mitigation, and resolution coordination
is the responsibility of these sharing agencies.

What Are the Operational Rules?

The FCC concludes that Part 90 already contains the appropriate rules to guide
fixed and mobile operations in the band.  In addition, the FCC declines to adopt
any standard for broadband technologies. However, the FCC does adopt Motorola’s
sliding scale power limit proposal for mobile operations that allows 20 dBm (100
mW) for a 1 MHz signal, up to 33  dBm (2 watts) for a 20 MHz signal with an
antenna gain limit of 9 dBi. The equipment must also comply with the FCC’s radio
frequency radiation exposure evaluation requirements. Existing Rules on emission
limits rules for each technology apply. The FCC also imposesd a maximum antenna
gain of 26 dBi for point-to-point operations.

The frequency utilization plan for the band located at 4940–4990 MHz consists of
10, 1-MHz channels and 8, 5-MHz channels that could can be aggregated to a maximum
channel width of 20 MHz. The Rules task the Regional Planning Committees (RPC)
working on the 700 MHz bands with coordinating the region’s frequency utilization
plan.  In an effort to circumvent avoid any interference, licensing of
aeronautical use is not permitted except only on a case-by-case basis.

How Soon Can Agencies Implement 4.9 GHz Technology?

The timetable for Ddeployment of equipment in using the 4.9  GHz band depends on
the RPC planning required of the RPCs in each region. If the a region’s RPC cannot
perform the needed planning, the duties would default to the licensees, enabling
the coordination to take place on an ad hoc basis. The FCC requires that, within 6
months of the effective date of the Rules, all RPCs meet to initiate coordination
procedures, and within 12 months, the RPCs must provide the FCC with a copy of the
coordination plan. The plan should cover fixed and mobile operations, incident
management protocols, interference avoidance, and interoperability. The amendments
to the Rules created by this Report and Order were effective 30 days after the
posting to the Federal Register on June 30, 2003. The timing of the licensing is
subject to the previously established FCC Rules of the FCC.

 http://www.pswn.gov/admin/librarydocs12\4_9_Band_Fact_Sheet.doc

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/