Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Most Wi-Fi use is at home

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 01:43:51 -0400

Most Wi-Fi use is at home
September 10 13:13:00, 2003

FRAMINGHAM, Mass.—Mobile end users continue to use wireless technology more for
personal use than professional,
according to research by IDC. A survey of more than 2,500 members of IDC’s Mobile
Advisory Council found 34 percent of
respondents use a wireless 802.11 Wi-Fi network at home, while 27 percent use a
comparable network at work.
According to the study, personal Wi-Fi networks are proliferating, with
entertainment and messaging dominating
at-home applications. Meanwhile, e-mail and personal information management
applications and Internet and intranet
access top wireless office applications.

“In lean economic times, providing a wireless LAN is a low priority for many IT
organizations, while lower price points on
wireless access points has spurred increased use of WLAN in the home,” said Randy
Giusto, IDC’s vice president of
personal technology and services. Giusto added that the use of wireless at home is
also being driven by the low cost of
wireless-enabled computing devices and wireless home network solutions.

IDC also said public hot-spot interest is high, but users have varying
expectations regarding price and payment. The most popular public hot spots are
located in travel locations, coffee shops and at universities.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15031

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/