Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Man charged with stealing tracking device

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 12:28:18 -0400

USA Today Tech
Posted 9/2/2003 9:21 AM     Updated 9/2/2003 9:53 AM

Man charged with stealing tracking device
JANESVILLE, Wis. (AP) — To track down this alleged thief, all police had 
to do was flick on a computer.

A 40-year-old man was arrested Wednesday and charged with stealing a 
computerized tracking device that uses a global positioning system to 
keep track of jail prisoners on home detention.

"He apparently didn't know what he had because he would be awfully 
stupid to steal a tracking device," said correctional officer Thomas 
Roth, who runs the home detention program at the Rock County Jail.

The $2,500 device was temporarily placed outside a home by a woman 
serving home detention. The device, which is a little bigger than a 
brick in size, has a built-in GPS satellite receiver.

Prisoners wear a transmitter about as big as a cigarette pack on the 
ankle, and it acts as a 100-foot tether to the portable tracking device.

By the time the prisoner called to report the theft Monday night, the 
device had automatically notified the jail that it had been taken 
outside the prisoner's home area.

Roth then tracked the device through the Internet on his home computer.

A trail of electronic dots led authorities to an apartment building, 
where the suspect was captured.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/6668610.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/