Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Dupont Circle Spectrum Utilization During Peak Hours

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:10:44 -0400

Dupont Circle Spectrum Utilization During Peak Hours

A Collaborative Effort of The New America Foundation and The Shared Spectrum
Company

Introduction

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, Mark McHenry from Shared Spectrum and Max Vilimpoc from
New America measured the utilization of the radio frequency spectrum in the
immediate vicinity of New America’s offices (38?54’43.8”N, 77?02’43.2”W) over a
period of several hours.  The location of the measurement site in an urban and
highly pedestrian area just north of Dupont Circle offered an ideal vantage from
which to measure spectrum utilization during peak business hours. Accordingly, the
analysis was performed between the hours of 9AM to 5PM over a range of frequencies
covering both civilian and military use.

The purpose of the measurements was to experimentally demonstrate that a large
proportion of urban radio spectrum remains unused on a regular basis. The
experimental results add additional weight to the policy proposals offered by both
participants: that more license-exempt use of spectrum is possible through
opportunistic sharing.

http://www.newamerica.net/Download_Docs/pdfs/Doc_File_183_1.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
ReplayTV: Control live television
Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV
CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I93ZAD/A6qGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/