Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC defers to IEEE on UWB ruling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 04:27:36 -0400

FCC defers to IEEE on UWB ruling

by Sam Omatseye
Sept. 12, 2003

True to its cautious style, The Federal Communications Commission has shied from
committing to a definite ruling on the ultra-wideband technology, which has
divided the various players into two camps. One group is led by Motorola Inc., and
the other is led by both Texas Instruments Inc. and Intel Corp.

The FCC has pushed the burden of a decision to the Institute of Electrical and
Electronics Engineers.

“We urge the IEEE to perform the technical analyses to ensure that any UWB
standard it develops will not cause levels of interference beyond that already
anticipated by the rules,” wrote Julius Knapp, director of the FCC’s Office of
Engineering and Technology. “This information will be needed to support any
necessary FCC rules interpretations or other appropriate action for the chosen
standard.”

The FCC statement followed a request from Motorola Inc. and Xtremespectrum for an
FCC clarification. 

In a meeting earlier this year, all the players could not reach an agreement on
the standard. Although the majority supported the TI and Intel-led proposal known
as the multiband-OFDM it fell short of the 75 percent of votes needed to pass. It
garnered only 60 percent.

All the companies will converge again in Singapore Sept. 15 for another crack at a
solution.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15071
http://www.multibandofdm.org 
http://www.ieee.org/portal/index.jsp 
http://standards.ieee.org

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/