Subject: [mobile-ip] PERVASIVE 2004 - Call for Papers

From: Karin Anna Hummel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:27:35 +0200

*********************************************************************
   *                                                                   *
   *                          Call for Papers                          *
   *                                                                   *
   *                     P E R V A S I V E   2004                      *
   *        2nd International Conference on Pervasive Computing        *
   *                                                                   *
   *                      Linz / Vienna, Austria                       *
   *                        April 19-23, 2004                          *
   *                                                                   *
   *                   http://www.pervasive2004.org                    *
   *                                                                   *
   *********************************************************************

* Description

   A vast manifold of tiny, embedded and autonomous computing and
   communication systems have started to create and populate a
   pervasive and ubiquitous computing landscape, characterized by the
   autonomy of their programmed behavior, the dynamics and context-
   awareness of services and applications they offer, the ad-hoc
   interoperability of services and the different modes of user
   interaction upon those services. This is mostly due to technological
   progress like the maturing of wireless networking, exciting new
   information processing possibilities induced by novel microprocessor
   technologies, low power storage systems, smart material, and motor-,
   controller-, sensor- and actuator technologies. A future computing
   scenario is envisioned in which almost every object in our everyday
   environment will be equipped with embedded processors, wireless
   communication facilities and embedded software to perceive, perform
   and control a multitude of tasks and functions. Since many of these
   objects are already able to communicate and interact with global
   networks and with each other, the vision of context-aware "smart
   appliances" and "smart spaces" has already become a reality. Service
   provision is based on the ability of being aware of the presence of
   other objects or users, and systems can be designed in order to be
   sensitive, adaptive and responsive to their needs, habits and even
   emotions. With pervasive computing technology embodied into real
   world objects like furniture, clothing, crafts, rooms, etc., those
   artefacts also become the interface to "invisible" services and
   allow to mediate between the physical and digital (or virtual) world
   via natural interaction - away from desktop displays and keyboards.
   Novel interface concepts for situated interaction give rise for
   bringing the interaction with computers "back to the real world".

   All these observations pose serious challenges to the conceptual
   architectures of computing, and the related engineering disciplines
   in computer science. PERVASIVE 2004, the Second International
   Conference on Pervasive Computing, provides a premier venue to bring
   together researchers and practitioners working in all foundational
   and applied research areas of pervasive and ubiquitous computing. It
   will include presentations, workshops, tutorials and multimedia
   demonstrations on subjects like:

* Focus

   Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing Architectures
   Sensors and Actuators / Computational Perception
   "Smart" Appliances / Ambient Intelligence
   New Technologies / New Materials / Small Artefacts
   Displays / Vision / Mixed Reality Systems
   Spontaneous / Wireless / Mobile Communication
   Networked Embedded Systems
   Context Awareness / Autonomous Computing
   Coordination Models and Systems
   Middleware and Software Frameworks
   Interaction Models / Interaction Design
   User Interfaces (e.g. Situative/Tangible/Attentive)
   Emerging Industrial / Business Scenarios
   Social / Privacy / Security Issues

* Submissions

   Submissions to PERVASIVE 2004 are welcome in the categories Regular
   Papers and Tech-Notes, Doctoral Colloquium, Videos, and Tutorials
   and Workshops.

* Regular Papers and Tech-Notes

   Regular papers should present original, highly innovative,
   prospective and forward-looking research in one or more of the
   categories given above. Just like regular papers, tech-notes should
   present directing research, but in very focused and compact format.
   Tech-notes are not understood as short papers condensed into less
   page space, but are intended to present pointed results at a high
   level of technicality. Submissions in this category will be handled
   electronically and must be in PDF or PostScript file format. Regular
   papers must not exceed 18 pages (or approx. 10000 words, including
   text, figures and references), tech-notes must not exceed 5 pages
   (or approx. 2500 words) formatted single column, single-spaced in
   Springer LNCS style available at
   http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html. Accepted regular
   papers and tech-notes will be published in the conference
   proceedings. PERVASIVE 2004 will adopt a double-blind process for
   regular paper and tech-note review, where the identities of the
   authors are withheld from the reviewers and vice versa. Authors'
   names and their affiliations must not be revealed or mentioned
   anywhere in the paper or in the PDF or postscript file. Submitted
   papers and tech-notes must be original, unpublished work and not
   currently under review for any other conference or journal. Papers
   not following these guidelines will not be considered for the review
   process. To submit a paper or tech-note, please refer to the paper
   submission link (available from October 1st, 2003) at the conference
   website. Questions about the papers and tech-notes submission
   process should be directed to the Program Committee Chair
   (A. Ferscha, Univ. Linz) at [email-masked].

* Doctoral Colloquium

   The PERVASIVE 2004 doctoral colloquium, to be held right before the
   main conference during April 19-20 in Linz, Austria, invites PhD
   students and candidates to present, discuss and defend their
   work-in-progress or preliminary results in an international, agile
   and renowned audience of junior and senior researchers and
   developers in the pervasive computing field. Thesis position papers
   (5 pages or approx. 2500 words) are solicited relating a problem
   statement, methodological approach, potential for innovation and
   expected contribution to the international pervasive computing
   literature. Accepted submissions will be presented during the
   colloquium and will be included in the PERVASIVE 2004 adjunct
   proceedings. The PERVASIVE 2004 Doctoral Colloquium Certificate,
   signed by the international colloquium committee will be handed to
   the successful presenters. Further information can be obtained from
   the conference website or the Doctoral Colloquium Chair (G. Kotsis,
   Univ. Linz) at [email-masked].

* Videos

   Submissions are invited to present novel pervasive computing
   systems, devices or just designs, or demonstrate innovative styles
   of interaction or usability of those systems - in a lively format:
   as a video. Video clips should be no longer than 8 minutes and be
   accompanied by a 4 page (or approx. 2000 words) written summary. The
   author(s) of a video are expected to present a brief introduction at
   the conference, while all full videos will be presented during the
   PERVASIVE 2004 Video Night - a special event at a historic place in
   Vienna. Video papers will be published in the PERVASIVE 2004 adjunct
   proceedings, all video clips will be presented in the PERVASIVE 2004
   Video DVD. Further information can be obtained from the conference
   website or the Video Chair (H. Hörtner, Ars Electronica Center) at
   [email-masked].

* Tutorials and Workshops

   PERVASIVE 2004 tutorials will provide the dissemination of advanced
   concepts, technologies and skills to the participants. Tutorial
   submissions should focus on seminal and pioneering topics of
   pervasive computing or cover an outstanding new branch of pervasive
   computing research. Workshop sessions will provide inspiring and
   influencing discussion on pervasive computing topics. Each workshop
   aims at the sharing and consolidation of new research ideas and
   fosters future co-operations. Workshop proposals may be related to
   any topic of pervasive computing. Further information can be
   obtained from the conference website, the Tutorials Chair
   ([email-masked]) or the Workshops Chair
   ([email-masked]) respectively.

* Conference Chairs

   General Chair
     Friedemann Mattern (ETH Zürich, CH)

   Program Committee Chair
     Alois Ferscha (Univ. Linz, A)

   Publicity Co-chairs
     Karin Anna Hummel (Univ. Vienna, A)
     Rene Mayrhofer (Univ. Linz, A)

* Program Committee

   Gregory Abowd (GA Tech, USA)
   Michael Beigl (Univ. Karlsruhe, D)
   Mark Billinghurst (Univ. Washington, USA)
   David De Roure (Univ. Southampton, UK)
   Anind K. Dey (Intel Research, USA)
   Elgar Fleisch (Univ. St. Gallen, CH)
   Hans Werner Gellersen (Lancaster Univ., UK)
   Lars Erik Holmquist (Viktoria Institute, S)
   Horst Hörtner (Ars Electronica Center, A)
   Tim Kindberg (HP Labs, USA)
   Gerd Kortuem (Lancaster Univ., UK)
   Gabriele Kotsis (Univ. Linz, A)
   Antonio Krüger (Saarland Univ., D)
   Max Mühlhäuser (TU Darmstadt, D)
   Joe Paradiso (MIT Media Lab, USA)
   Tom Pfeifer (GMD-FOKUS, D)
   Jun Rekimoto (Sony, JP)
   Thomas Rist (DFKI, D)
   Tom Rodden (Nottingham University, UK)
   Anthony Savidis (ICS Forth, GR)
   Bernt Schiele (ETH Zürich, CH)
   Dieter Schmalstieg (TU Wien, A)
   Albrecht Schmidt (Univ. München, D)
   Vincent Stanford (NIST, USA)
   Thad Starner (Georgia Tech., USA)
   Adam Wolisz (TU  Berlin, D)
   Franco Zambonelli (Univ. Modena & R.E., I)
   Albert Zomaya (Univ. of W. Australia, AU)

* Important Dates

   Papers & Tech-Notes
     Submission (firm!)                             November 7, 2003
     Notification of Acceptance                    December 20, 2003
     Camera Ready Copy                              February 9, 2004

   Videos/Tutorials/Workshops
     Submissions                                    January 19, 2004
     Notification of Acceptance                    February 16, 2004
     Final Versions                                   March 15, 2004

   Doctoral Colloquium
     Submissions (firm!)                            January 12, 2004
     Nomination of Speakers                         February 9, 2004

   Conference Events
     Pre-conference Events (in Vienna)                April 20, 2004
     PERVASIVE 2004 Doctoral Colloquium (in Linz)  April 19-20, 2004
     Main Conference (in Vienna)                   April 21-23, 2004

* Additional Information

   For updated information about PERVASIVE 2004 please visit
   www.pervasive2004.org or send email to [email-masked].

   (For your planning: Note that CHI2004 will be held in Vienna,
   Austria, April 24-29, 2004 - right after PERVASIVE 2004.)