Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Push-to-Talk ... The Game Is Changing: Yankee Group's 2003 North

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:53:02 -0400

September 08, 2003 10:27 AM US Eastern Timezone

Push-to-Talk ... The Game Is Changing: Yankee Group's 2003 North
American Mobile Messaging Forum Highlights Developments in Mobile Data
Revolution

BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 8, 2003--
Signature Event Will Be September 16 and 17, 2003, at Hyatt Regency
O'Hare, Chicago  

For the last 11 years, push-to-talk (P2T) has been the lucrative preserve of a few
carriers and one technology--Motorola's iDEN. P2T has served Nextel and other iDEN
operators well as a valuable differentiator helping to reduce churn, lifting ARPU,
and attracting business customers.

Innovation is enabling GSM and CDMA carriers to offer P2T over their data
networks. While it is challenging to replicate Nextel's success using P2T, the
integration of messaging and other enhancements, such as presence and
interoperability, will create a new type of user interface for wireless voice and
data.
Verizon Wireless led the way with a service launch, and other mainstream carriers
soon will follow. In response, the Yankee Group's 2003 North American Mobile
Messaging Forum now includes an added panel discussion, "The Evolution in
Push-to-Talk: Will New Technologies on Different Carriers Create New Markets?," to
the lineup of messaging-oriented content during which wireless carriers, equipment
manufactures, and solutions providers will discuss the alternatives and address
some of these questions:

-- Who are the target customers--will carriers expand P2T to a mass market for
consumers, or will they focus on the business market

-- Carrier interoperability is vital to the success of SMS, is this necessary for
mass-market P2T

-- How does the technical performance of P2T over GSM or CDMA compare with the
iDEN experience

-- How will P2T evolve into a messaging interface

Information about the Yankee Group's North American Mobile Messaging
Forum is available at: http://www.yankeegroup.com/MMF2003

Organizations interested in sponsorship should contact Craig Stryker, sponsorship
sales manager, [email-masked] or 617-880-0217.

The Yankee Group (http://www.yankeegroup.com)

The Yankee Group is the global leader in communications and networking research
and consulting. The company helps businesses understand the opportunities, risks,
and competitive pressures of developing, deploying, and consuming products and
services that drive communication or information exchange. Now in its fourth
decade, the Yankee Group is based in Boston with offices throughout North America,
Europe, Latin America, and the Pacific Rim.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20030908005535&headlineSearchConfigBO=1062414000000%201063056572000%20%20groupByDate%20%201%207%201062414000000%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%201000151%20true%20true%20&newsLang=en&beanID=2055223794&viewID=news_view

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/