Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Max EIRP for Europe

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:51:43 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Simon Parsons <[email-masked]>
Subject: Max EIRP for Europe

On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 2:29 pm, dproseen wrote:
> What is the limit for max EIRP of a base station in europe?

That's a moving target.
Here in the UK it's a maximum of 25W although you may have difficulty getting 
licensed for it in some areas.  On-site (limited coverage) systems have a 
limit of 2W and a maximum antenna height above ground of 10m.

In the rest of Europe it's again variable but maximums of 10W and 25W are 
normal.  Some countries will allow significantly more....

I'm sure someone else will pop up and fill in the gaps :-)

Simon

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:34:13 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: Simon Parsons <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Max EIRP for Europe

On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 5:53 pm, dproseen wrote:
> Can the base station be more than 25 watts. Can a country set it's
> own limit as long as it doesn't interfere with an adjacent country?
> Dave

Well, it's more a case of conserving your spectrum resource.
A high site with a couple of hundred watts output could cover most of southern 
England and sterilise the channel for most of the midlands.

When you consider that as a rule-of-thumb a talkthrough repeater is running at 
full capacity with about 100 users that's not a lot of Erlangs per Square 
Kilometre. It's easier to run several base stations and link them together 
somehow. The coverage can be controlled and the channel can be reused sooner.  
No, it doesn't cost less as you now have to licence several transmitters.
The next step is to charge for coverage.  Coming to a Spectrum Regulator near 
you.  Think the Canadians toyed with the idea.  Don't know how they got on.

High power in the rest of Europe?
I vaguely remember someone telling me that Sweden allowed more power.

As far as mobile power is concerned...
We also have the European Automotive EMC Directive which limits the field 
strength inside the cab of a vehicle to some ludicrously low figure.  It's 
actually unlikely that a 25W mobile would safely meet the limit without 
careful installation.  That's another reason for the 10W limit, but the way.  
Some vehicle manufacturers don't allow equipment with an erp higher than that 
to be installed anywhere inside or outside the vehicle in case it affects the 
electronics.  Install a higher-powered radio and if anything goes wrong with 
the electronlics (like the engine management system) and it doesn't have to 
be the fault of the transmitter - you can forget the warranty.  In some 
countries the Type Approval would also be considered invalid which means the 
vehicle is not road-legal and you're therefore uninsured as well.  Hello, 
Officer.... 

Simon

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 06:14:00 -0400

Simon
Thought what you were saying was interesting...
I wasn't in on the earlier discussions though so missed which radio
system/s
you are referring (GSM GPRS UMTS analogue???) or were your comments
just general to any radio system?
Greg UK 

Message text written by INTERNET:[email-masked]

Well, it's more a case of conserving your spectrum resource.
A high site with a couple of hundred watts output could cover most of
southern 
England and sterilise the channel for most of the midlands.

When you consider that as a rule-of-thumb a talkthrough repeater is running
at 
full capacity with about 100 users that's not a lot of Erlangs per Square 
Kilometre. It's easier to run several base stations and link them together 
somehow. The coverage can be controlled and the channel can be reused
sooner.  
No, it doesn't cost less as you now have to licence several transmitters.
The next step is to charge for coverage.  Coming to a Spectrum Regulator
near 
you.  Think the Canadians toyed with the idea.  Don't know how they got on.

As far as mobile power is concerned...
We also have the European Automotive EMC Directive which limits the field 
strength inside the cab of a vehicle to some ludicrously low figure.  It's 
actually unlikely that a 25W mobile would safely meet the limit without 
careful installation.  That's another reason for the 10W limit, but the
way.  
Some vehicle manufacturers don't allow equipment with an erp higher than
that 
to be installed anywhere inside or outside the vehicle in case it affects
the 
electronics.  Install a higher-powered radio and if anything goes wrong
with 
the electronlics (like the engine management system) and it doesn't have to

be the fault of the transmitter - you can forget the warranty.  In some 
countries the Type Approval would also be considered invalid which means
the 
vehicle is not road-legal and you're therefore uninsured as well.  Hello, 
Officer.... 

Simon<