Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Gets It 'Done' in 1st Campaign From TBWA\C\D]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:08:47 -0400

Nextel Gets It 'Done' in 1st Campaign From TBWA\C\D

Tue Sep 9, 5:03 PM ET  \

TBWA\Chiat\Day will position Nextel Communications as the means to 
get things done efficiently and "without interference," sources 
said, in the New York agency's first big campaign for the No. 5 
wireless (news - web sites) phone service. 

"The whole category is about talk," explained one source, but Nextel 
is "going to be about doing."

The tagline is, "Nextel. Done |," with the vertical slash serving as 
graphic shorthand for "completed."

The campaign is the first high- profile effort from John Hunt, 
founder of South African shop TBWA\ Hunt\Lascaris, since he arrived 
in New York in April as worldwide cd.

Sources said four TV spots, the first of which breaks Sept. 14, use 
humorous vignettes to illustrate the ease of use and ubiquity of 
Nextel, whose phones have a walkie-talkie function. 

Directed by Joe Pytka, the ads depict regular folks, such as a 
construction worker, going about their business and accomplishing 
tasks with Nextel. One spot is set in a theater and another at a 
wedding; two others are business-themed, a source said.

Nextel is positioned as a tool for people "who need to get things 
done instantly," said one executive. Added another: "It's not about 
empowerment, it's about accomplishment."

Both the Omnicom agency and the Reston, Va.-based client declined 
comment.

The campaign also includes newspaper, radio, Web and outdoor ads, 
sources said. Yellow wild postings that feature only "Do" in big 
black type appeared as teasers last week in New York and other 
cities. A series of yellow box ads in USA Today's Money section is 
also running. "Stop believing that whoever talks most in the meeting 
wins," reads one, with the slash in the lower-right corner.

TBWA\C\D landed the estimated $150 million creative account in May 
following a review. "Nextel. Done |" was a part of the pitch, led by 
New York execs including president Shona Seifert and Hunt, with 
input from chairman and chief creative officer worldwide Lee Clow, 
based in Los Angeles, and Chuck McBride, the North American cd based 
in San Francisco.

Nextel's most recent TV work, from Interpublic Group's Mullen in 
Wenham, Mass., broke in June. Three spots used humorous 
exaggerations, such as a 400,000-foot radio antenna, to tout the 
coast-to-coast, direct-connect service. WPP Group's MindShare in New 
York handles media duties.

Nextel says it has 11.7 million subscribers in the U.S., well behind 
market leader Verizon Wireless, which claims 34.6 million. The other 
major players are Cingular Wireless (22 million), AT&T Wireless 
(21.4 million) and Sprint PCS (18.8 million).

-- ANDREW MCMAINS

http://www.adweek.com/aw/search/search_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1970337

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/