Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CDMA Future Looks Bright

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 04:15:40 -0400

CDMA Future Looks Bright

The CDMA Development Group (CDG) announced that the 3G CDMA2000 subscriber base
had reached 54 million by the end of June, a more than 300 percent annual
increase. Combined, the user base of CDMA2000 and cdmaOne increased 10 million to
164 million subscribers.

=========================================================================================

Wireless

CDMA backers talk up growth
11/09/03 12:19
- by Tim Marshall

In a month where CDMA developers such as Nortel Networks and Qualcomm have already
announced significant progress to their business, the CDMA Development Group (CDG)
today added further backing to CDMA2000 as the dominant 3G mobile platform,
claiming more than 300% growth in annual subscriber growth for the technology to
June this year.

According to the latest statistics released by the CDG, the 3G CDMA2000 subscriber
base reached some 54 million in the quarter ending June 30. The combined user base
of CDMA2000 and cdmaOne was up 10 million in the period with a total of 164
million subscribers now signed on to next generation CDMA platforms.

"3G CDMA2000 continues to dominate the global market for advanced wireless
services," claimed CDG executive director Perry LaForge. The group noted a 300%
annual subscription growth to the end of June with growth arriving in all major
markets worldwide.

Backing the CDG in its announcement, Ken Hyers of In-Stat/MDR said, "the CDMA
market share will continue to expand rapidly, doubling within the next four years.
As the single most dominant airlink in the United States, coupled with the
advances in Southern and Southeast Asia, the future looks very bright for CDMA."

Such confidence in the future of CDMA matches that of Nortel, which last week not
only announced a major US$1 billion CDMA2000 network supply deal with Verizon
Wireless in the US but sought to post itself as the leading provider of the
systems for emerging markets. In comments to TelecomTV, Nortel UMTS boss Alain
Biston claimed that competitors such as Nokia have no effective knowledge of CDMA
technology and that no more than four five vendors can possibly have any
meaningful relationships for future business with operator customers.

In news earlier this week Qualcomm, one of the original CDMA developers, confirmed
that LG Electronics, the growing South Korean equipment supplier taking a
significant share of the Asian market, would use its new MSM6250 CDMA chipset in
future product sets.

And according to the CDG's new figures, such deals will place Qualcomm in good
stead. Asia Pacific is the fastest growing CDMA2000 region in the world, fuelled
by subscriber expansion in the key markets of Japan, China and India. The Asia
Pacific subscriber base for CDMA2000 and cdmaOne expanded by nearly 18 million
over the year to end-June to 63 million subscribers; representing a 39% annual
growth rate.

http://www.telecomtv.com/newComms.php?cd_id=2965

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/