Subject: [NEXTEL-1] PA Governor Rendell Praises Westmoreland Co. Emergency Management Efforts; CountyReceives Federal Grant For Communications Efforts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:08:54 -0400

Source: Pennsylvania Office of the Governor

PA Governor Rendell Praises Westmoreland Co. Emergency Management Efforts;
CountyReceives Federal Grant For Communications Efforts

Friday September 26, 4:23 pm ET

HARRISBURG, Pa., Sept. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- PA Governor Edward G. Rendell today
praised Westmoreland County officials for their efforts to develop a
communications system that allows first responders to communicate with each other
throughout southwestern Pennsylvania. The county yesterday received a $5.9 million
grant from the federal Department of Homeland Security to buy equipment to expand
its 9-1-1 center and local emergency response/communications capability.
The grant will allow Westmoreland County to expand on its system that allows local
police, fire companies, and emergency medical personnel to communicate with each
other throughout the county and, if necessary, throughout the southwestern
Pennsylvania region. The system also will be compatible with the 800 MHz statewide
emergency radio system that is nearing completion.

Governor Rendell nominated the project for the competitive grant award because of
its positive impact on emergency response throughout the region and its potential
to be a national model for interoperable communications. The grant was one of only
17 awarded out of 127 nominees.

"This grant reflects Westmoreland County's and the southwest region's leadership
in providing first responders with a state-of-the-art communications system that
will help protect the public and provide an appropriate response to any
emergency," Governor Rendell said. "With this funding, Westmoreland County will be
able to go to the next level in its communications efforts. I salute the county
and its emergency management operations -- as well as first responders throughout
the state -- for their work in making Pennsylvania a national leader in emergency
response."

Keith Martin, director of Pennsylvania's Office of Homeland Security, added, "We
need to remember that no matter what happens, whether it is a man- made or natural
disaster, the first units on the scene will always be local police, fire and
emergency medical. This federal funding will help us follow through on our
commitment to giving the resources they need to help keep them safe while they
protect us."

The competitive grant program is funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency
and the Department of Justice's Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.
The program provides funding for demonstration projects that will explore uses of
equipment and technologies to increase interoperability among the fire service,
law enforcement and emergency medical service communities.

CONTACT:  Michael Lukens

717-783-1116

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030926/phf038_1.html

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Todd Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:34:55 -0500

UWB/ATM Micro Web Configuration:
================================
Westmoreland County, PA
================================
Node cost: $200
Appropriation ($M): $    5.900
Area: 1025 sq. mi
Population:   368983
Appropriation per person: $16
Total potential nodes:    29500
Link distance: 1060ft
1 out of 12.5 people become nodes
================================
If all people were nodes:
--------------------------------
Link distance: 300ft
Node cost (after subsidy): $184

[email-masked] wrote:

>             "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
>   Subscribe to WFHSG: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG
>                             or Via E-Mail
>                    [email-masked]
>
> 
>

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->