Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MacBride Reflects On Wireless Success

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:54:41 -0400

MacBride Reflects On Wireless Success
BY SUE MAREK
SEPTEMBER 4, 2003

BOULDER, Colo. -- The booming wireless communications market with its penetration
rate of more than 50 percent and its bevy of competitors in each market was one of
the surprise successes of the much-maligned Telecommunications Act of 1996,
according to Marsha MacBride, the FCC's former chief of staff.

Speaking last night to a group of about 200 lawyers, regulators, telecom
executives and students at the University of Colorado's Silicon Flatirons
Telecommunications Program, MacBride characterized U.S. mobile service as one of
the best outcomes of the 1996 Telecom Act primarily because at that time,
regulators did not foresee the importance of wireless and therefore left it
alone.  "Why did wireless work?" MacBride asked. "Because the government set out
goals for its development but didn't provide any specifics."

In fact, according to MacBride, the wireless industry should be thankful that the
government didn't foresee the industry's growth potential. "If the government had
the vision to see what wireless could be, it would have been regulated."

Although some telecom executives have criticized the commission for not
establishing a standard for PCS service and instead letting the U.S. market
progress with incompatible technologies, MacBride defended that decision and said
the government should be praised for "having the courage to not set a standard,
especially if they were not confident in that decision."

In fact, MacBride believes the FCC's primary role is to actively and vigilantly
protect the public interest and not to set technology standards because the
government acts too slowly and any standard it designates likely will be
outdated.  Instead, she believes the commission should only establish rules to
allow competitors to compete on an even playing field.

MacBride, who resigned from the commission last month, says the telecom act likely
will provide the commission with some challenges in the future. In particular, she
says it will be difficult for the FCC to monitor and manage the progress of
next-generation networks.

However, MacBride praised the wireless industry for its decision to unveil a
voluntary consumer code, saying that will help keep the government from trying to
intervene in wireless pricing and other issues, which are currently confusing to
customers.
MacBride, who had been with the FCC for 13 years, announced her departure from the
FCC Aug. 18, saying she will pursue other opportunities.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=09/04/03

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/