Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Instant messaging reaches UK mobiles

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:58:20 -0400

26 September 2003
Instant messaging reaches UK mobiles

New voice-based instant messaging services for mobile phones will be available in
the UK from October.
US-based comapny FastMobile is to offer a service called FastChat, which will
effectively turn mobile handsets into walkie-talkies with unlimited range.

Just select the friend or group you want to speak to, hold the 'talk' button, and
chat away. Your message will be relayed almost instantaneously, and can be replied
to with another voice message – or with a picture or a traditional text message.
"Walkie-talkie conversations can now be held on compatible GPRS handsets across
all the main UK networks and internationally," said John O'Boyle, European
marketing director of FastMobile.

"Regardless of all the other mobile firsts, FastChat will certainly be one of the
killer applications for this year, and for the foreseeable future."

No special hardware is needed, and FastChat does not affect other network operator
services. In fact, instant messaging on the move is so convenient and easy to use
that some expect it to herald the end of SMS.
In the US, mobile phone operator Nextel has 12 million customers for its
push-to-talk service. They sent 62 billion messages last year.
FastChat will be available on Symbian phones from October.

www.fastmobile.com
http://www.internet-magazine.com/news/view.asp?id=3728

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/