Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola's chieftain quits Founder's grandson, Chris Galvin, resigns

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:03:20 -0400

Motorola's chieftain quits Founder's grandson, Chris Galvin, resigns

By Tony Dennis: Saturday 20 September 2003, 12:15

IN A telephone conference with other members of the Motorola (was Galvin on his
mobile perhaps?), Chris Galvin announced that he was quitting Motorola.
There has been lots of finger pointing as to reasons why Motorola lost so much
money (and market share) under Chris Galvin. Why did its share of the handset
market slip from a high of around 60 per cent down to its current 15 – 19 per cent
(depending on whose figures you believe)?

Some say Motorola was caught unawares by GSM's popularity allowing the Europeans –
Nokia and Ericsson – to steal market share. They obviously don't remember
Motorola's early GSM phones which were functional but lacked the sexy design and
ease of use which Nokia championed.

Others blame Motorola's woes on its chips business. Selling less phones means less
demand for its own processors plus the fact that it apparently couldn't afford to
build its own 300mm fab.

Another point is that, unlike Nokia with Series 60, Motorola hasn't persuaded any
other major handset manufacturer to go with its 3G phone designs. Then there's the
blood bath that is the Chinese handset market where SARS and overproduction have
taken their toll on Motorola, the leading supplier.

And what about infrastructure? The only GSM base stations the INQ knows of that
Motorola sold in Europe (after building the UK's largest factory in Swindon) went
to Turkey where the company is embroiled in a legal battle over payment.
But it's not all doom and gloom. The latest handsets from Motorola (with the
notable exception of the A920 which was obviously modelled on its earlier 'brick'
phones) are sexy enough to give Nokia a run for its money.  Plus there's iDEN
which is going great guns in the USA thanks to Nextel.
Still Galvin's team has made too many mistakes along the line and he's
obviously just paid the price. µ
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11664
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/