Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless carriers: relax tower regs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 03:40:39 -0400

Wireless carriers: relax tower regs
by Bradley Parsons
Staff Writer

A complaint filed against Jacksonville by a wireless lobbying firm could result in
a less stringent local zoning review of the construction of new cell phone towers.

Jacksonville is one of 18 cities and counties named in a report filed by the
Florida Telecommunications Industry Association with a State wireless oversight
board. The report describes “unreasonable delays in locating wireless
telecommunications facilities” needed to provide wireless users with emergency
service.

In response to the report, the Wireless E911 Board of the State of Florida is
forming a subcommittee to develop recommendations to the State house of
representatives and the governor.

The recommendations will help form a statewide policy for the installation of
cell-phone towers and antennas. According to a brief filed by Kraig Conn,
legislative council for the Florida League of Cities, the board will seek an
approach which balances “the ability of providers to locate wireless facilities,”
with “the desire of counties and municipalities to zone and regulate land uses.”

Conn said the compromise would likely erode some local control over wireless
zoning. However, he said the League of Cities, which will seat two members on the
wireless subcommittee, would protect local oversight.

“There’s certainly an aesthetic issue; no one wants to see a 200-foot tower every
half-mile,” said Conn. “But a complete loss of municipal authority is not really a
possibility. These decisions need to be made at a local level, that’s our [the
League of Cities] cornerstone.”

The FTIA report was filed on behalf of wireless carriers: AllTel, Cingular, AT &
T, Nextel, Verizon, T Mobile and Sprint PCS. The report claims that the carriers
have been unable to build facilities necessary to comply with the State’s Wireless
Emergency Communications Act.

However, Conn said the complaint could be an attempt by wireless carriers to build
more towers. He said it was “hard to discern” from the FTIA’s report whether the
carriers’ concern was safety or widening their market.

“We’re not agreeing to put a tower wherever they want just to increase market
share,” said Conn. “The legislative requirements are very specific toward what can
be done to provide emergency services; market share is not a concern.”

The so-called 911 Act was designed to promote public safety through the use of
wireless 911 service. It’s up to individual cities and counties whether to require
providers in their area to conform to the regulations. The FTIA claims that
Jacksonville directed its carriers to comply but has not allowed timely
construction of towers or antennas.

According to a brief provided by FTIA Executive Director Susan Langston,
Jacksonville is one of “various local jurisdictions” that adopted “restrictive
zoning ordinances” or required carriers to appear “before lengthy zoning hearings,
that make the processes for placement of facilities very lengthy, very difficult
and very costly.”
Langston said the subcommittee would likely look separately at each jurisdiction,
but said policy recommendations would stretch across the state.

“The subcommittee will probably look at what the local governments are doing,”
said Langston. “If the reports are found to be valid according to state
legislation and problem areas are identified, then I imagine the subcommittee will
look to see if there’s room for movement in the practices of the jurisdictions.”

The E911 board will hear from the FTIA and the League of Cities during a Sep. 29
conference call. After hearing both sides, the board will announce the
subcommittee, which will comprise two League of Cities representatives, two
Florida Association of Counties representatives and two members of the FTIA.

The subcommittee will make its recommendations to the State House and the governor
Feb. 28, after which it will disband.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=39485

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/