Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:40:29 -0400

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

Prepared for the Congressional Internet Caucus http://www.netcaucus.org/ in
response to the prompt:
Sell it, Lease it, or Give It Away -- How Can Spectrum Reform Best Promote
Wireless Internet Deployment?
Expand Unlicensed Spectrum, But Retain Public Interest Review and Dedicated Uses

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

Contact: Christian Sandvig, (217) 333-0141, [email-masked]

Unlicensed spectrum is critical for the development of wireless computer
networking. Since 1984, this form of spectrum
allocation allowed the rapid development of technologies like the cordless phone
and the garage door opener. Today the
pressing demand for wireless Internet provides us an opportunity to reconsider
this nineteen-year experiment in unlicensed
spectrum blocks for low-powered devices. What allocation method would promote the
development of wireless Internet and
our national interests?

Unlicensed Spectrum Promotes Innovation in Computer Networking. Congress should
expand the spectrum available for
unlicensed low-powered devices, facilitating innovation and the development of new
technologies, through both unlicensed
parks and underlays.

Dedicated Spectrum is Still Needed for Computer Networking. At the same time,
wireless Internet technology can also
be promoted through the allocation of spectrum dedicated to the specific use of
successful and high priority technologies like
wireless Internet. Expanding the unlicensed blocks for all technologies is one
successful strategy (as with the 1997 allocation of
the 5.2-5.7 GHz UNII band), but spectrum allocated to particular purposes is still
essential, such as the recent preservation of
216-217 MHz for Assistive Listening Devices for the hearing impaired. One proposed
alternative to these strategies, auctions,
is not responsible.

Spectrum Auctions are Irresponsible. As they have been used in the US, auctions
have imposed high entry costs and
removed any governmental responsibility for deciding which services should be
offered in what regions. In this manner,
spectrum auctions have suppressed the introduction of new, experimental computer
networking technologies, biased the
licensing process toward well-financed entities, and have presupposed that only
very profitable services likely to provide a
strong return on investment should be allowed.

Wireless Internet Infrastructure is a Top National Priority. Needed resources for
wireless computer networking must be
found even if this requires the reorganization of other services that
inefficiently occupy large assignments of the electromagnetic
spectrum. Compared to computer networking, the large segments assigned to many
licensees for analog services are proportionally incommensurate with their
national importance.

Public Interest Review Must be Retained. The use of unlicensed spectrum as a
method of allocation should not be a
substitute for thorough consideration of the public interest in spectrum
allocation. While a block of spectrum may be unlicensed,
this does not mean that we collectively abdicate responsibility to decide what
services should be offered to whom. Market
forces alone will not provide the needed range of communication services to all
parties, and unlicensed blocks should be
carefully monitored.

Universal Access to High Technology is Still Essential, and Should be Reaffirmed.
Providing wireless Internet
infrastructure through unlicensed stations (as in 802.11 networking or "Wi-Fi")
shifts responsibility for infrastructure
development from the carrier to the consumer. In the case of Wi-Fi, access points
are now relatively cheap. However, if future
systems are more expensive, non-profit organizations and low-income consumers will
lack the expertise and resources to
participate. Congress should reaffirm its commitment to equity and universal
access to high technology as stated in Sec.
254(b)(3) of the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility, P.O. Box 717, Palo Alto, CA
94302
-----650-322-3778 ----- 650-322-4748 (fax) ----- [email-masked] ----- www.cpsr.org

Submitted April 4, 2003 to the Advisory Committee to the Internet Caucus for the
education of Congressional Staff

http://www.cpsr.org/program/access/spectrumreform.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/