Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Project 25 Interoperability Update

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 03:24:54 -0400

Project 25 Interoperability Update

Can you hear me now?

By JOAB JACKSON

09/01/03

Project 25 open standard provides a crucial step in radio interoperability, but
more work is needed

The Project 25 open standard for interoperable radio systems is gaining
momentum in the government market.

The Treasury Department is preparing a request for proposals for a $1
billion contract that will call for Project 25 radios to be used in all its
offices. In New York, state officials are evaluating bids on a 20-year, $400
million Statewide Wireless Network project that calls for Project 25
interoperability; the winner will be announced this month.

And at a first-responder trade show last month in Indianapolis, companies
such as EFJ Inc., M/A-Com Inc. and Motorola Inc. were hawking their Project
25-compliant radio systems.

For the integrators supporting first responders, the acceptance of Project
25 by once-reluctant vendors is good news. That's because the standard
allows them to pick the best components for agency systems, rather than
being locked into one company's product line.

"At first, each company had its own proprietary radio design. You could not
mix and match. Project 25 allows that," said Jim Ridgell, vice president of
the federal business unit of EFJ's two-way radio subsidiary, EF Johnson.

However, industry officials also said Project 25 still is a long way from
completely solving the interoperability problem. It offers no guidelines for
how radios of different frequencies can communicate.

Nonetheless, Project 25 is taking hold in the marketplace.

"The federal government has several agencies that require Project 25, and
there are many state and local contracts that require it as well," said
Wayne Leland, chair of the private radio section of the Telecommunications
Industry Association, a trade association for the communications and
information technology industries.

The problem of interoperability becomes widely apparent any time a major
disaster occurs. When ambulance, fire trucks, police and federal agencies
converge on the scene, often they find their radios can't communicate with
one another.

Part of the problem surrounding interoperability is the radios use different
frequencies to communicate, said Mike Barney, director of system engineering
for business development and sales for the Decision Systems division of
General Dynamics Corp., Falls Church, Va. Many radio systems operate on the
800 megahertz band, while others operate on frequencies ranging from 30
megahertz to three gigahertz.

Radios that do operate on the same frequencies often don't work together,
either. The trunked radio systems that became popular in the early 1970s
because they used the airwaves more efficiently are often proprietary
systems.

MOVING FORWARD

Interoperability was the problem the Association of Public-Safety
Communication's Officials, a group of radio manufacturers, vendors and
users, set out to address when it started Project 25 in 1989, said Craig
Jorgensen, who leads the its Project 25 committee.

According to the Project 25 statement of requirements, the standard, first
published in 1995, was created to more efficiently use the radio spectrum by
facilitating communications through an interconnectable, narrow-band,
digital protocol.

Initially, companies making and selling radio systems were reluctant to
embrace the standard. They invested heavily into developing and marketing
their own trunked solutions. Re-engineering systems to meet open standards
would only allow competitors to offer replacement equipment, potentially
driving down sales.

What turned the tide was that clients started demanding Project 25.

For instance, in a 2002 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission,
Lincoln, Neb.-based EFJ highlighted Project 25 as a major part of its sales
strategy. The document said, "Several of the U.S. government agencies ...
have specified a Project 25 requirement for procurements of new LMR
equipment."

Project 25 got a big push when the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration, which oversees government radio communications,
set a requirement in 2001 for agencies to switch to narrow-band
communications by 2008, preferably through Project 25.

State and local agencies are also showing interest. APCO estimated there are
approximately 30,000 emergency response agencies in the United States. The
Homeland Security Department recently established the SafeCom initiative to
help these agencies unite on a single set of interoperability standards,
although many first-responder organizations are banding together already.

"A lot of organizations will form regional [oversight] boards to set policy
and do the procurement," said Chuck Jackson, vice president and director of
the North American group for Schaumburg, Ill.-based Motorola, pointing to
regional boards in Minneapolis and San Diego. Such regional authorities are
more likely to specify Project 25 equipment as a way to standardize across
many different first-responder units, Jackson said.

HEALTHY SUPPLEMENT

Despite the high adoption rate of Project 25, the interoperability problem
is far from solved. For instance, even with Project 25 compliance, radios in
the 800 megahertz range will not respond to radios operating in other
frequencies, Jackson said.

Yet issuing the same radios to all responders will not solve the problem,
Barney said. An 800 megahertz-based radio works well in urban environments,
because it can penetrate buildings. In contrast, a police department in
Texas would be served better by a very high frequency, or VHF, radio system
that can provide much wider coverage in areas with little obstruction,
Barney said.

Several companies sell hardware that converts the calls from one frequency
to another, allowing responders with two different systems to communicate.
However, too many different radio systems on one channel during emergencies
would clog the air time and may block out important calls, he said.

Agencies are hiring integrators to set up infrastructures that can
coordinate all the calls coming through. An integrator could look at
centralized call centers to help route the traffic, as well as provide
alternative methods of communication, such as pagers, Barney said.

Lowell, Mass.-based M/A-Com's new Project 25 product line emphasizes
Internet protocol connectivity as way for integrators to help solve some of
the issues, said Paul May, business development manager for M/A-Com.

Project 25-complaint radio systems don't enhance interoperability "if your
neighbors are still running analog systems," May said. An IP-based trunked
system allows different frequencies to mingle on the same backbone.

Using IP for land mobile radio is also attracting the attention of Cisco
Systems Inc., San Jose, Calif.

"We anticipate that end users will migrate towards IP," said Donna Rhode,
director of product strategy for the government services unit. For the U.S.
Forest Service, Cisco is participating in a pilot project to equip regional
interagency dispatch centers, so the centers can connect with other agencies
when a disaster such as forest fires strikes.

"Replacing all the radios and creating a completely interoperable network is
something we need to move toward, but it is a ways out there, so we're
trying to understand how we can leverage the existing infrastructure," said
Shannon Nix, a senior customer solutions manager for Cisco's government
systems unit. *

Staff Writer Joab Jackson can be reached at [email-masked].

http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/18_11/emerging-tech/21560-1.html
-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Todd Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:24:16 -0500

UWB/ATM Micro Web Configuration:
================================
New York Statewide Wireless Network
================================
Node cost: $200
Appropriation ($M): $  400.000
Area: 54471 sq. mi
Population:   19157532
Appropriation per person: $21
Total potential nodes:  2000000
Link distance: 940ft
1 out of 9.6 people become nodes
================================
If all people were nodes:
--------------------------------
Link distance: 305ft
Node cost (after subsidy): $179