Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Havens Makes A Move On Public Safety-

From: "Bender, Klaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:00:28 -0400

That's an interesting comment. The FCC will have to convert 217-220 MHz from
data only operations before this can happen, I believe. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Klaus Bender - Spectrum Management & RF Engineering 
V:  (703) 558-2204 F: (703) 276-1169 M: (703) 887-1474 
[Public Key Available Upon Request] 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Ellis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 6:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Havens Makes A Move On Public Safety-

Having met Warren and discussed some concepts with him, my first thought was
- "what's in it for Warren".  Telesaurus owns a bit of the licensed 900 MHz
spectrum he mentioned in his e-mail.  He also owns some 220 MHz
spectrum...of course, the demand for spectrum at "VHF" will be so high that
he will then offer up some 220 MHz channels...and then, the next step is to
ask the Commission to expand the band from 220-222 to 217-222 MHz.  Nearly
all of the radios type-accepted on 220 are set to operate from 216-225.  VHF
and 220 get a huge shot in the arm.  

Kind of an interesting thought...float an idea where DHS will create the
need for the spectrum from a federal position, and he holds a bunch of it.
One of the reasons that Warren is a wealthy man!  He may raise questions in
people's minds, but he is a very intelligent guy.

But, as per Jack, I could be wrong...

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 3:43 PM
To: [email-masked]; WFHSG
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Havens Makes A Move On Public Safety-

An Insider just sent this to me........
This was sent to various Public Safety organizations and Industry leaders.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 3:07 PM

Consistent with past communications from me, recently by way of the
"Extended
VHF/ Lower 900 MHz Forum" I organized, attached is a power point
presentation
from the VPC Spectrum Consortium (Maritel, myself, S. McIntyre) to Charles
Cape at the US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS).  I spoke with Charles about
this and he invited this proposal.

VPC class spectrum is 350-500 kHz, exclusive (not shared),
geographic-licensed, paired spectrum, in the 157/162 MHz range.

I am copying you on this since the presentation involves US Public Safety
(PS) and Critical Infrastructure (CI).

One idea reflected in the attached is for DHS to acquire all of the VPC
spectrum nationwide and make it available, perhaps with funding in addition,
as a
foundation for new statewide or regional radio systems for certain public
safety and critical infrastructure applications that meet DHS interests/
standards,
such as:

1) certain day-to-day telemetry and scada to increase security and
reliability of operations at major facilities and public places; and

2) day-to-day mobile voice and data use, but where the capacity is
preempted in emergencies for DHS-specified interoperable use among
responders:
local
PS and CI, as well as federal-DHS entities.

This VPC spectrum could provide uniform nationwide spectrum for these
critical purposes, and based thereupon, enable uniform, high-volume,
cost-effective
equipment and applications.  This may warrant DHS funding on top of
providing
the VPC spectrum.

Slide 15 in the attached also discusses the plan for mobile (vehicular and
transportable) WiFi via use of all of 902-928 MHz nationwide (licensed and
unlicensed spectrum), and coordinating this with certain "Extended VHF"
spectrum
of
which VPC would provide the foundation.  This dual-band initiative would
allow very cost effective coverage (the 900 MHz in urban areas, and the VHF
for
rural and an underlay in urban areas) and provide for traditional trunked
mobile
voice and data, and telemetry and scada, and mobile WiFi for IP-based voice,
video, and high-speed data to Intranets and the Internet.

If you have comments, please provide.  If you'd like to be involved if DHS
wants to pursue this, let me know.

Regards,
Warren Havens
President, Telesaurus, Berkeley California
(510) 841 2220  / direct (510) 914 0910

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor	

ADVERTISEMENT
 
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17073678
02:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy
o?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!	
 
<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=488272183> 	

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:56:06 -0400

Hey Klaus, long time no see since March.  Maybe I'll see you at the Summit
in October?

The other issue that is interesting that no one has commented on yet is why
the manufacturers (Motorola, Tait, others) set their type acceptance data up
so that the radios would be allowed to operate from 216-225 MHz.  

This goes back to the concept of pulling back in 217-220 to other uses and
222-225 from the ham community.  It could give land mobile users (of
whatever user type) nearly 200 12.5 KHz channels with a standard 5 MHz
offset, and leave 220-222 to data and pre-existing uses.

And, if I recall, Warren brought this concept up in his original filing, but
didn't flesh out the details.

Todd Ellis

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Ellis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 6:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NEXTEL-1] Havens Makes A Move On Public Safety-

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 3:43 PM
To: [email-masked]; WFHSG
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Havens Makes A Move On Public Safety-

Regards,
Warren Havens

.