Subject: [NEXTEL-1] A Disaster Waiting To Happen

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:32:46 -0400

A Disaster Waiting To Happen

9/15/03

Memphis, TN

It is supposed to be a lifeline...supposed to be the link between trouble
and getting help. Instead, in almost half of the areas of Shelby County,
two-way radios used by sheriff's deputies are nothing but trash. They don't
work. "It's almost mandatory that deputies use cell phones," according to
Shelby County Sheriff's Deputy Mickey McCune. "We buy and pay for them
ourselves, and in many places, cell phones are the only way we can
communicate with dispatchers. It's just that there are so many areas of
Shelby County where the radios are inoperable."

For more than a year, officials with the Shelby County Sheriff's Department
have been trying to work out a deal with Memphis City Police. Memphis cops
are looking at either purchasing a new radio system, or revamping their
current system. Shelby County officials were hoping to buy into the plan and
split costs. That way, they'd get the total coverage they need. The problem
is, there is no sense of urgency on the city side to get a new system. They
don't have the problems that Shelby County has. And Shelby County Sheriff's
Deputies have huge problems when it comes to using their two way
radios."We've heard repeatedly about how lives are at risk," said Shelby
County Commissioner David Lillard. "We've heard, since last September when I
took office, about how there is a problem."

Now, they've got a plan, the powers-that-be over at the Sheriff's Department
do. It's sort of like putting a piece of cotton on a stab wound. They're
going to ask officials with Memphis Light, Gas and Water whether they can
put up radio receivers on M-L-G-W radio towers. If they are successful that
will mean the two way radios should work in about 80% of Shelby County. But
that's not enough. Law enforcement experts say radio should work in at least
95% of the areas patrolled by deputies.

Shelby County Sheriff Mark Luttrell says his department can put its own
radio system in place, but it's going to cost money, a lot of money. "I
don't know the exact figures," Luttrell said, "...but we have three radio
towers in Shelby County. If we don't share the Memphis Police radio towers,
we'd have to build at least three additional radio towers ourselves, and
they cost money." And finding money in Shelby County Governmental coffers
these days is sort of like finding water in the Sahara. Luttrell and others
will update Shelby County Commissioners in two weeks about new developments.

http://www.wreg.com/global/story.asp?s=1443746&ClientType=Printable

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/