Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Study: Wi-Fi Users To Reach 23 Million In 2006

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:45:05 -0400

Study: Wi-Fi Users To Reach 23 Million In 2006
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
SEPTEMBER 8, 2003

The wireless hot spot market is poised for growth, reaching 23 million users by
2006, according to a new study. But market analyst firm Datamonitor cautions that
for long-term success, industry must put its monetary muscle behind service
locations and attracting users.

By the end of this year, Datamonitor predicts there will be 31,580 hot spots
around the world, with that number quadrupled to 1.53 million within the next
three years. This translates to a potential $7 billion market for public wireless
LAN hot spots by 2006.

While the Asia Pacific is leading the charge right now, the firm expects North
America and the regions of Europe, the Middle East and Africa to surpass Asia
Pacific in terms of hot spot numbers. Ambitious rollout plans by operators such as
T-Mobile, Boingo, Cometa Networks and Toshiba will push North America to the top
spot over the course of 2004, Datamonitor predicts. The North American Wi-Fi
market is expected to be worth $2.8 billion by 2006.

These positive predictions could lead some to believe that the market is poised
for eternal growth, but Datamonitor analyst Tim Gower cautions those thinkers.
"The PWLAN market will not become the Eldorado that many originally hoped for.
PWLANs will not constitute a mass market in the same vein as cellular
communications," says Gower. Service providers and premises owners must find ways
to drive usage, he says. "The industry can certainly help its cause by investing
heavily in WLAN marketing and identifying the right locations that will attract
users to PWLAN services," Gower says.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=2&pubdate=09/08/03

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/