Subject: [NEXTEL-1] More Powell Departure Rumors - this poor guy needs a break

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:52:44 -0400

www.drudgereport.com/flash3.htm

FCC POWELL SETS STAGE FOR EXIT IN INTERVIEW: 'I HAVE A TIRED FAMILY, TIRED
CHILDREN AND A TIRED SPOUSE'
Sun Sep 21 2003 17:25:30 ET

**Exclusive Sneak Preview** 

Michael K. Powell, the embattled chairman of the Federal Communications
Commission, appears to be setting the stage for an exit with a candid
interview pipelined for Monday runs of the NEW YORK TIMES.

Newsroom sources tell DRUDGE that Powell has gone on-the-record with NYT's
Steve Labaton for a wide-ranging explanation of current affairs.

"I have a tired family, tired children and a tired spouse. Candidly, I once
said I would be in this job for three years and then leave," Powell
explains. "That was three years ago."

"I've been called every name in the book by every opponent in the book," he
adds. "That's classic Washington. If you can't get past jingoism, you attack
the person. I wish the press would focus on more than who's rebuked and
who's rebuking and look at what the best alternatives are for the public in
terms of policy."

Labaton was said to be finalizing the text Sunday evening, for a Business
section lead, sources tell DRUDGE. 

Developing...

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV
Easily record your favorite shows!
CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WUMW7B/85qGAA/ySSFAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/