Subject: [NEXTEL-1] U.K. Home PC Users Think Wi-Fi is Hi-Fi

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:58:52 -0400

U.K. Home PC Users Think Wi-Fi is Hi-Fi

Research by London-based MORI says the typical U.K. home PC user doesn't know what
a "hot spot" is. A recent survey, conducted on behalf of Packard Bell, found that
seven of 10 respondents were unable to identify a "Wi-Fi hotspot" from a given
list of definitions.
==============================================================================

U.K. Home PC Users Think Wi-Fi Is Hi-Fi
Research by London-based MORI says the typical U.K. home PC users don't know what
a "hot spot" is. A recent survey, conducted on behalf of Packard Bell, found that
seven of 10 respondents are unable to identify a "WiFi hotspot" from a given list
of definitions.

Last May, MORI, which says it is the largest independently owned market research
company in the U.K., surveyed 985 home PC users throughout Great Britain.
Interviews were carried out using Computer Assisted Personal Interviewing and
during face-to-face interviews in respondents' homes.

When prompted, only 29 percent of home PC users correctly identified a WiFi
hotspot as "an area covered by a wireless access point, typically set up for the
Internet so that people can connect to the Web without cables." Just 1 percent
believes a WiFi hotspot is a 'posh hot tub,' while 1 percent think it's a tanning
bed and 2 percent of respondents believe it is "something smelly that had been
left out in the sun for too long." In addition, 1 percent think it is a
microwave-ready meal, and 2 percent identified it as a new HiFi.

Surprisingly, 10 percent of 15-to-24-year-old home PC users surveyed think a WiFi
hotspot is an area with high mobile phone reception. Of married respondents, 1
percent incorrectly identified a 'WiFi hotspot' as trouble with the wife. Five
percent of all home PC users believe it is a nightclub, rising to 10 percent among
single people.

>>Susie Gammell, Packard Bell, +44 (0) 020-7973 5930; Caroline Callahan,
MORI, +44 (0) 020-7347 3000<<

http://www.telecomweb.com/wirelessdata/feature.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/