Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Malaysia Launches Phase Two of High-Tech Corridor

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:41:20 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Malaysia Launches Phase Two of High-Tech Corridor

Malaysia Launches Phase Two of High-Tech Corridor

http://telecomdirectnews.com/telecom/direct:TIH/Telecom_Technology/Information_Technology/ITArt::/Article/reuters090503f

Posted on September 5, 2003

Cyberjaya, Malaysia (Reuters) - Malaysia on Friday launched the second phase of 
an ambitious project aimed at developing its own version of the U.S. Silicon 
Valley, promising greater research freedom at its universities.

One of Southeast Asia's key manufacturing hubs for electrical and electronic 
products, Malaysia has felt the pinch of rising competition from lower-cost 
sites in China and wants to diversify its technology industries.

It launched the Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) project in 1997, aimed at 
drawing international giants like Microsoft <MSFT.O>, to help kick start R&D 
activity in the country.

Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said Malaysia, which has already been pushing 
its universities to work with entrepreneurs, urged academics to change their 
mindset.

The country's key universities are all state-run, and research departments need 
government approval on any tie-ups with the private sector.

"We need to adjust our thinking," Mahathir told reporters. "We need to relax 
some of our rules and regulations in the universities."

"It's no point doing research on a product and then find out that the market 
doesn't want it."

Mahathir also promised firms easier access to state funding for seed money and 
start-up capital during the second phase, which begins in 2004 and ends in 2010.

The corridor is a series of designated locations stretching from the Petronas 
Twin Towers in central Kuala Lumpur to the administrative capital of Putrajaya, 
35 kms (22 miles) to the south.

A total of 920 firms including International Business Machines <IBM.N>, Sun 
Microsystems <SUNW.O> and Sweden's Ericsson <ERICb.ST>, have set up operations 
in the corridor.

Sales from foreign and domestic firms in the corridor are expected to rise 48 
percent to 5.83 billion ringgit ($1.5 billion) in 2003, and to 7.98 billion 
ringgit in 2004.

The project, launched at the onset of the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis, 
initially drew criticism that Malaysia was building a high-tech zone first to 
lure knowledge workers and industries rather than the other way around, as was 
the case in the Silicon Valley. ($1=3.8 ringgit)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/