Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sprint Prepares for Onset of Hurricane Isabel

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:25:17 -0400

Sprint Prepares for Onset of Hurricane Isabel
Tuesday September 16, 4:35 pm ET
Company Asks Customers to Restrict Calls to Those Considered Essential in The
Event of Power Outages

WAKE FOREST, N.C., Sept. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- As Hurricane Isabel moves closer to
the East Coast, Sprint personnel across the eastern United States continue to
monitor the storm and tailor recovery plans. Sprint's disaster response planners
put personnel across the East and Midwest on alert, in addition to plotting
logistics and staging supplemental equipment in strategic locations.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20001013/SPRINTLOGO )
The company also is communicating with local emergency management organizations
and community leaders to keep them apprised of Sprint's capabilities in the face
of the storm.

Sprint is reviewing the areas that may be most affected by the hurricane, and what
additional personnel and equipment resources may be needed in those areas. Sprint
expects its previous experience with hurricanes and its ongoing infrastructure
investments to help it be well prepared for Hurricane Isabel. There are hundreds
of skilled and dedicated technicians and other front-line Sprint personnel ready
to respond, many of whom live in the hurricane's path.

At Sprint, emergency preparation for weather and other possible network- affecting
events is a year-round exercise. While storms of this magnitude can be a real
challenge, Sprint is well prepared to deal with their effects. In fact, Sprint's
preparations for Isabel began months ago because preparation for hurricane season
in an annual event for the company. With this foundation in place, Sprint is able
to focus on the final preparations for wireline and wireless sites, such as making
sure generators are completely filled with fuel, PCS cell site batteries are fully
charged and all emergency supplies are available. In addition, Sprint uses a
highly effective process for moving needed equipment to the area to begin the
recovery should Isabel affect its sites.

After Isabel makes landfall, especially in areas where electrical power is known
to be affected, Sprint asks customers to make only emergency or other essential
calls. This preserves battery capacity and gives the company additional time to
move backup generators into areas affected by extended power outages.

Customers are asked to report outages only once, using their local repair service
number listed in the Sprint Phone Book.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030916/cgtu082_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/