Subject: [NEXTEL-1] John Carroll University Deploys Campus-Wide Integrated Cellular/WLAN from Nextel and RadioFrame Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:22:44 -0400

John Carroll University Deploys Campus-Wide Integrated Cellular/WLAN from Nextel
and RadioFrame Networks

Monday September 8, 1:38 pm ET

Students and Faculty to Benefit From In-Building Coverage,
Ubiquitous Wireless Data Access

RESTON, Va. & CLEVELAND--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 8, 2003-- Nextel President and
CEO Tim Donahue Makes Personal Donation Valued at More Than $1.2 Million in
Wireless Technology to Alma Mater

John Carroll University and Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:NXTL - News) today
announced the availability of integrated cellular/WLAN service across the
university's 60-acre campus. Students and faculty returning to school this fall
can now access wireless broadband data anywhere on the John Carroll campus. This
integrated service also affords users improved Nextel cellular and Direct
Connect(TM) walkie-talkie coverage across campus, allowing more reliable voice
service everywhere, including in basements and elevators.

WLAN, or Wi-Fi®, provides users
with wireless connectivity, mobility
within the premises and wireless
network connections at speeds as
high as 11 megabits per second, the
standard for 802.11b technology.
Students and faculty at John Carroll
will now be able to use their PDAs
and laptop computers to gain
untethered access to email, the
Internet and wireless data
applications anywhere throughout
the university. On campus users with
802.11b WLAN cards will be able to
access the Internet wirelessly at no
cost.

The service and hardware to support this integrated cellular/WLAN solution have
been made available to John Carroll University through a personal donation by
Nextel President and CEO Tim Donahue, a John Carroll alumnus. Donahue's gift,
which is in excess of $1.2 million, includes the installation and hardware for the
WLAN solution, as well as Nextel wireless phones and a year of service for the
university.

"Innovative thinking is a given at universities. Innovative technology should be
as well," said Donahue. "The donation of ubiquitous communication is just a small
token of my appreciation for John Carroll University and its contributions to my
development as a business leader. I believe linking today's students to instant
information will help provide a foundation for the leaders of tomorrow."

"The University prides itself on its innovative use of technology in service to
our students, faculty and staff," said the Reverend Edward Glynn, president of
John Carroll University. "Because of Tim Donahue's generous philanthropic gift to
his alma mater and our new partnership with Nextel, we have created an even more
sophisticated university environment, one with a centralized campus corridor for
wireless connectivity."

"This puts John Carroll on the leading edge of providing content for wireless
Internet users," said Glynn, "and makes the university one of only a few colleges
and universities in the nation providing this service."

Central to the product deployment at John Carroll University are RadioFrame Units
(RFU), high capacity 'super access bays' which are mounted at various locations
within a building. Each RFU is about the size of an exit sign and can contain up
to seven low-power RadioBlade(TM) transceivers, which communicate with a full
range of mobile devices. The open network architecture allows the system to be
configured to increase capacity and to add new, multiple wireless standards to the
existing RadioFrame installation with "plug and play" ease, by simply adding
RadioBlade transceivers to the RFUs. The integrated cellular/WLAN platform can be
centrally managed by Nextel, providing a simple, single point of contact, as well
as a lower cost solution, for organizations such as John Carroll University.

The RadioFrame® System is Wi-Fi Certified and compatible with hundreds of WLAN
client cards. Additional 802.11 standards can easily be added to the platform. The
WLAN component maintains existing university security policies, supports the IEEE
802.11b security standards and additional security enhancements.
About Nextel Communications

Nextel Communications, a Fortune 300 company based in Reston, Va., is a leading
provider of fully integrated wireless communications services and has built the
largest guaranteed all-digital wireless network in the country covering thousands
of communities across the United States. Nextel and Nextel Partners, Inc.,
currently serve 293 of the top 300 U.S. markets. Through recent market launches,
Nextel and Nextel Partners service is available today in areas of the U.S. where
approximately 242 million people live or work.

About John Carroll

John Carroll University, located in Cleveland, Ohio, is a coed liberal arts
university grounded in the Jesuit, Catholic tradition. The university has some
3,500 plus undergraduates and just over 800 graduate students. John Carroll
University is ranked among the top four Midwestern universities within its
Carnegie Foundation classification (Master's Colleges and Universities I) in U.S.
News & World Report's annual college guide. Originally founded as St. Ignatius
College in 1886, the university was renamed in 1923 to honor America's first
Catholic bishop, John Carroll of Maryland. John Carroll is one of 28 Jesuit
colleges and universities located in the United States.

Contact:
Nextel Communications Inc., Reston
Media Contact:
Rebecca Gertsmark, 703-898-9211
or
Investors:
Paul Blalock, 703-433-4300
or
John Carroll University
Media Contact:
Chris Somosi, 216-397-4663

 http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030908/85725_1.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/