Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Plug and Play

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:45:13 -0400

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted rules that will help
smooth the transition to digital television (DTV) for millions of Americans. The
FCC's new "plug-and-play" rules will ensure that most cable systems are compatible
with DTV receivers and related consumer electronics equipment.

A "plug-and-play" digital television is a television that you can plug directly
into your cable system and receive analog and most digital cable services without
the need for a set-top box. More and more cable services are being provided in
digital format, and broadcast stations are in the midst of the transition from
analog to an all-digital service. Currently, plug-and-play is available for most
analog services over cable, but not for digital.

Some advantages of plug and play are:
* Many consumers like the convenience (and cost savings) of receiving cable
programming without the need of a set-top box. If nothing else, it's one less
remote control to keep track of!

* You will be able to take your plug-and-play set virtually anywhere in the
country and know it will work on cable systems offering digital services.

* Plug-and-play will allow you to fully utilize the features and functions
provided by the television set that often are disabled when connected to a cable
set-top box.

For more information, read our factsheet
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/plugandplaytv.html.