Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Two separate over-the-air technology deals announced

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:35:08 -0400

Two separate over-the-air technology deals announced
By Mike Dano
September 29 13:11:00, 2003

Motorola Inc. announced it will use over-the-air update technology from Bitfone
Corp. in new phones scheduled for release next year, news that further pushes the
concept of mobile devices that can be remotely repaired.

Motorola, a Bitfone investor, said it licensed Bitfone's over-the-air firmware
update solution, mProve, as well as its Generator, Prism, Delivery Server and
handset Agent technologies. The technology allows carriers to send software
updates to users’ mobile phones over the air, thus repairing potential software
glitches or introducing new applications and services without requiring customers
to mail in their devices.

Motorola’s interest in such technology may be spurred by recent delays in its
product line-up for the holiday season.

Such technology is generating a significant amount of interest in the industry, as
Metrowerks Corp. and Insignia
Solutions announced a similar offering. Metrowerks said it would host Insignia’s
Secure System Provisioning On Demand
product for sale to handset makers. The companies said the technology would allow
mobile-phone makers to repair software glitches over the air.

Such a service is already commercially available in T-Mobile USA Inc.’s Sidekick
device, which is based on technology from
upstart Danger Inc. Indeed, T-Mobile recently generated some ire from its
customers by remotely erasing several games
on the device. The carrier said it erased the games to install updated games.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=15269

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:46:47 -0700

handset hackers gotta love this.
================================================

[email-masked] wrote:
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.