Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: P25 Transmit power

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 12:19:56 -0400

------- Original Message --------
   From: John Wachter <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: P25 Transmit power

 I suggest that you look at section 90.205 of the FCC rules.  This directly
addresses the power issue for trunking.John WachterCTA CommunicationsLynchburg, VA

     -----Original Message-----
     From: Maples, Dave [mailto:[email-masked]]
     Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 7:15 AM
     Subject:Re: P25 Transmit power

     Mark: I don't remember any specific ERP limits in the NTIA manual, and
     at least in the VHF highband and UHF ranges 100 watt stations, 3 dB coax
     loss, and 6 dB gain antennas were common.  I looked in the manual again
     just a few minutes ago and didn't find any restrictions other than a
     couple related to interagency law-enforcement operations and related
     stuff.  The power limits in those cases were 125 watts at the
     transmitter output. Presuming you already have your authorizations, you
     should be able to look at them and see what the authorization says.  The
     PWR field in the authorization contains the transmitter power.  The Fed
     rules don't allow you to purchase unless you have authorizations in
     place already.The NTIA manual was on the Web at
     http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/redbook/redbook.html.Hope this
     helps.Dave Maples-----Original Message-----
     From: Mark Hollingsworth [mailto:[email-masked]]
     Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 11:06 PM
     Subject: Re: P25 Transmit power

          That certainly makes sense, but we are talking about
          government agencies here...
          We were told that it was a hard-fast rule that no
          more than 60 watts several years ago, but we were told
          a LOT of things.

          Since we were ordering P25 equipment, and the vendors
          offer different power outputs- we wanted to check.
          Daniels has a low power (30 watts) then I think the
          next is 100-150, and it is really rock steady. But
          wont' turn below 100.

          For a Quantar the issue is pretty mute.

          Mark