Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 802.11g Quickly Moving to Lead Wi-Fi Market

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:02:56 -0400

802.11g Quickly Moving to Lead Wi-Fi Market

According to new research from industry analysts The Dell'Oro Group, 802.11g, the
newly minted high-speed flavor of Wi-Fi is a smash hit. This despite quibbles over
whether or not it really delivers the promised 54 Mbps given the effects of nearly
802.11b gear. Dell'Oro claims that, in the second quarter, worldwide 802.11
equipment revenues rose 2 percent over the preceding quarter, to $419 million.
Unit shipments rose by 6 percent, similar to growth in the previous quarter.

It was the second straight quarter in which 802.11b revenues declined. Dell'Oro
credits this largely to vendors cutting prices in the face of competition from the
new version. Prices declined by an average of ten percent during the quarter in
each 802.11b product category. On the other hand, 802.11g revenues rose by 48
percent, to account for 24 percent of the total market.
The rest of the year looks good according to Dell'Oro Group director Greg Collins
who said, "we anticipate that market growth will accelerate in 2H03 as
back-to-school purchases fuel growth in the third quarter and holiday sales boost
the market in the fourth quarter." Dell'Oro predicts that, by 2007, the consumer
market will have transitioned from 802.11b to 802.11g and then moved on to
multimode a/g. The enterprise market won't bother with 802.11g, Dell'Oro predicts,
but will move straight to multimode solutions. The total market will be worth $3.1
billion that year, according to the firm.

>>Greg Collins, Dell'Oro Group, 650/622-9400<

http://www.telecomweb.com/broadband/feature.htm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/