Subject: [NEXTEL-1] GSM-R deploying in Tibet

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 03:04:26 -0500

GSM-R deploying in Tibet

China Ministry of Railways and Nortel Networks have signed an agreement
under which Nortel Networks will provide a GSM for Railways (GSM-R)
digital wireless communications network for trial on the world's highest
rail line - the Qinghai-Tibet Railway.

GSM-R is a radio-communications system that expands on the GSM standard
to provide additional features specifically intended for railway
operations.  A landmark project for China's West Development Strategy,
the Qinghai-Tibet GSM-R trial is expected  to be one of the first in
China. More than 84% of the 1,142-kilometer Qinghai-Tibet Railway is
4,000 meters or more above sea level. Nearly half is built on
perennially frozen earth, requiring advanced  technology and extensive
experience in network deployment, operation and maintenance.

"Our proven track record in providing end-to-end GSM-R solutions with
high reliability and stability positions us to address the stringent
geographical and environmental conditions along the Qinghai-Tibet
Railway, and to cost-effectively deliver safety and premium services we
expect to benefit both passengers and railway employees," said Robert
Mao, president and chief executive officer, Greater  China, Nortel
Networks.

Plans call for the Qinghai-Tibet Railway trial to cover 186 kilometers.
It is expected to be the first test track in Asia supported solely by
GSM-R - with no analogue radio system for back-up. It is also expected
to be the first in Asia to use GSM-R to transmit safety data for train
control, and the first to adopt double coverage solutions to enhance
system availability.
Under the agreement with China Ministry of Railways, Nortel Networks
will provide advanced wireless equipment including Intelligent Network
(IN), Mobile Switching Center (MSC), Base Station Controllers (BSC) and
Base Transceiver Stations (BTS). Nortel Networks will also supply
related software and services.

Posted to the site on 05-Mar-04

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/10775.shtml
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/