Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia takes different turn on pre-standard PoC protocol

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:35:19 -0500

Nokia takes different turn on pre-standard PoC protocol

by Sam Omatseye
March 16, 2004

MUNICH, Germany

Trouble seems to be simmering in the push-to-talk 
house as Nokia Corp. has taken a different path 
from other major vendors and members of the 
Open Mobile Alliance on how to implement the 
pre-standard protocol. 

Meanwhile, the other PTT vendors, Siemens AG, 
Motorola Inc., L.M. Ericsson and Sony Ericsson, 
conducted what they described as the first joint 
Push-to-Talk over Cellular interoperability test. 

“The tests are designed to help provide network operators with easy
integration, interoperability and a competitive environment in which to
deploy commercial PoC service,” said the companies. 

The new stirrings of discord center at the pre-standard level as the
full standard likely will not be completed until the end of the year. 

This may pose a challenge among consumers for ease of use and common
experience. The first technical standard specification for PTT PoC was
submitted to the OMA in August, but the other major vendors say they are
pushing a final version of the PoC standard. 

“We didn’t join the test because we have a slightly different
pre-standard implementation for early-market entry,” remarked Lauri
Armstrong, spokeswoman for Nokia. “We felt that the implementation of
their products didn’t offer operators a credible way forward. So, we
implemented a different approach.” 

However, Armstrong said Nokia expects to comply with the specifications
when they are agreed upon. But there is no guarantee that if the
pre-standard implementation generates discord, it will not continue when
the final specifications are discussed. 

“We are confident that there will be Push-to-Talk over Cellular
specifications that we’ll agree on, implement and adhere to, therefore
providing interoperability across multiple vendors,” said Armstrong. 

On whether Nokia’s pre-standard product will interoperate with those of
the other vendors, she said work was in progress and when the standards
are reached, the company expects all the systems will work together. 

Nokia said its products will be introduced in GSM networks “already in
the second quarter of 2004 as a commercial service using pre-standard
protocols.” 

It said more than 30 operators are undertaking trials, with three public
commercial contracts. The vendor said its terminal, the Nokia 5140 will
be commercially available during the second quarter. It plans to
introduce full range of push-to-talk capable phones, including Symbian
OS-based smart phones, adding that from 2005 PTT will be available in
GPRS/WCDMA phones. 

 http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17327

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/