Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEXTEL RATINGS BOOSTED; `PUSH-TO-TALK' EDGE CITED

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:52:20 -0500

NEXTEL RATINGS BOOSTED; `PUSH-TO-TALK' EDGE CITED

03/23/04

Standard & Poor's Ratings Services said it had boosted its corporate
credit rating on Nextel Communications, Inc., to "double-B-plus,"
from "double-B-minus," citing the company's strong financial
performance and success in defending its dominant share of the "push-
to-talk" segment of the wireless services market.  S&P said its outlook
for further moves on Nextel's ratings was "positive."

"The upgrade reflects a significantly improved expectation that Nextel
will be able to maintain a competitive edge in the next few years with
its differentiated service offerings (i.e., push-to-talk  and
customized applications)," said S&P analyst Michael Tsao.

"Other wireless carriers that have either rolled out or are planning to
introduce PTT-type service will unlikely target Nextel's entrenched
business and public sector subscriber base for some time due to the
dependence of this base on Nextel's exclusive network for access to
critical user groups," the analyst said.  "The extent of this dependency

is illustrated by the fact that Verizon Wireless has only enjoyed very
limited success to date with its PTT-type service introduced in August
2003."

Earlier this week, Nextel executives maintained that competitive PTT-
type service offerings from Verizon Wireless and Sprint PCS had not
made a dent in the company's business. "There are others who have
tried to imitate it, and we haven't felt it at all," said Timmt Donahue,

Nextel's chief executive officer, at the Cellular Telecommunications
and Internet Association show in Atlanta. - John Curran,
[email-masked]

http://www.tr.com/online/trd/2004/td032304/index.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/