Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NTIA TOLD NATIONAL SPECTRUM POLICY MUST MAXIMIZE EFFICIENCY, PREDICTABILITY

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:06:08 -0500

NTIA TOLD NATIONAL SPECTRUM POLICY MUST MAXIMIZE EFFICIENCY,
PREDICTABILITY
3/23/04

The U.S. needs a comprehensive long-term spectrum policy and key
principles of such a policy include maximizing the efficient use of
spectrum and ensuring "predictability" and "transparency" of the
process, wireless and satellite industry commenters have told the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration.

President Bush last year launched his spectrum policy initiative and
directed NTIA to conduct a comprehensive review of the state of U.S.
spectrum management policy.  NTIA issued a notice of inquiry in
February seeking comments on the development of a comprehensive
policy.  The comments were filed with NTIA last week and were made
available by the agency today.

The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association
recommended that the U.S. develop a "rolling" long-term spectrum
planning process.  "Under this process, the U.S. government would
move away from a fragmented process of trying to determine how
small portions of reallocated spectrum should be used, and instead
focus on what spectrum could be made available for uses other than
the status quo in the future," it said.

CTIA recommended a three-year plan and 10-year plan.  "The three-
year plan would provide predictability on the availability of spectrum
that is slated for reallocation to other uses in the near term," it
said. "The 10-year plan, on the other hand, would aim for more rational,

less political spectrum management decisions over time."

CTIA also urged NTIA to encourage "more efficient use of spectrum  (Like
I have siad for years)
by those commercial and government users that are currently not
subject to market forces or discipline."  Most public safety and
federal government users are not constrained by competitive pressures
and
don't use their spectrum as efficiently as the private sector, CTIA
said.  "To remedy this situation, CTIA urges NTIA to study reclaiming
underutilized government spectrum through the long-term planning
process described above."

The Satellite Industry Association noted that NTIA's notice of inquiry
highlighted the bifurcated spectrum management system currently in
place, but it said it didn't propose any structural changes regarding
the government's spectrum management activities.  "While there may be
some efficiencies in restructuring the jurisdictional responsibilities,
SIA is more focused on ensuring that certain critical principles -
transparency, predictability, and certainty - are adhered to regardless
of any structural reforms that may or may not occur as a result of this
initiative," it said.

After stressing that broadband service satellite systems are likely to
be the only broadband technology available for many rural U.S. areas,
SIA said the industry's success is "premised on another essential
principle of spectrum management - certainty in regard to long-term
access to a stable spectrum environment.

"The importance and ubiquity of satellite services to rural and remote
users make it essentially that no changes are made to the terms under
which satellite systems share spectrum with terrestrial networks in
rural areas," SIA said.  "Therefore, SIA opposes any attempt to allow
`rural' high-power terrestrial operations by separate terrestrial
system operators in bands shared with or adjacent to satellite bands,
because
it would greatly constrain the ability to provide flexible and
innovative
satellite services in those same areas."

Motorola, Inc., recommended that the White House appoint a special
assistant to the president to oversee spectrum management.  This
adviser would "bridge the divide" between the spectrum management
functions of the NTIA and the FCC and . . . facilitate resolution of
interagency disputes that arise during spectrum management
activities."

Several commenters also noted the importance of international
spectrum negotiations and said a greater focus should be placed on
preparations for meetings with the International Telecommunication
Union.  "If the United States is not ready to present its common
positions at international preparatory meetings, the influence of the
United States may be diminished as it is left out of the process,"
Motorola added. - Brian Hammond, [email-masked]

http://www.tr.com/online/trd/2004/td032304/index.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG