Subject: [NEXTEL-1] RE:List of radio systems to loose licenses in GA

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:24:51 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Robert Williams <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE:  List of radio systems to loose licenses in GA

My understanding is a public safety agency must be licensed by the FCC
to legally operate on a frequency or possess an intergovernmental
agreement or letter of agreement/authorization from another agency that
is properly licensed by the FCC to use the frequency or frequencies
(i.e. some cities may operate on one or more frequencies licensed to a
county, some counties may operate on one or more frequencies licensed to
a State provided an intergovernmental agreement/letter of authorization
is in place).  Otherwise, they are operating on a radio frequency
illegally and are subject to the hefty fines by the FCC that anyone else
operating illegally would.  Public Safety agencies are not required to
pay frequency coordination fees to be licensed to operate on the
frequencies designated for "mutual aid" or "inter-agency
communications", but these frequencies must be on their FCC license.  In
Georgia these are 154.2800, 154.9050, 154.935, 155.3700, 155.4750 and
the ITAC Channels in the 800
 MHz band.  I'm sure the V-TAC and U-TAC interop channels are probably
included in this too.  Either way, I recommend if an agency is going to
operate on a frequency, mutual aid or otherwise, they need to make sure
the frequency is on their license before they start transmitting on it
(unless of course they have an intergovernmental agreement with another
city or county and can produce a copy if the FCC asks for it for some
reason).  
 
As for the agencies here in Georgia that are running the risk of loosing
their license, I know for a fact that several agencies have been
communicating and coordinating with the FCC to comply with the audit. 
Several agencies on the list in Georgia responded to the audit, but for
some reason their responses are not showing up in the FCC's data base. 
The 911 Director in Kennesaw called me today asking about completing the
audit and she will be sending her response via certified mail tomorrow. 
The license she was completing the audit for is KJR296 which is the
license for Kennesaw PD and 911 Center to operate on the Cobb County MRD
frequency (155.7900), State Band mobile to base (154.9350 & 154.9050),
State Band Car to Car (154.9050) and the Statewide Base to Base (a.k.a.
the Intercity Police Channel 155.3700).  They (Kennesaw) maintain these
for inter-agency communications and as backup if there are problems with
the Cobb County TRS.
I feel fairly confident that several of the agencies listed as a
non-response or response pending to the audit will be responding very
soon, if they haven't already, and especially if they have equipment on
the air on one or more frequencies to make sure they are in compliance.
 
Robert "Bob" L. Williams, Jr.
Radio Systems Manager
City of Marietta, GA

Sam Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:
I may be wrong on this, but I don't think that law
enforcement agencies are required to have a
license for that one frequency.  I think it is an
exception to the rules.

Sam

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/