Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Mobile phone market to remain buoyant

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:17:43 -0500

Mobile phone market to remain buoyant
Thursday, March 11 2004
by Ciaran Buckley

Following strong sales in the first few weeks of the year, Gartner has
upped its forecast for the number of mobile phones to be shipped in 2004
to 580 million.

The technology analyst reported that sales in 2003 exceeded industry
expectation, to the point that vendors struggled to meet the demand for
new mobile handsets.

Worldwide mobile phone shipment for 2003 were 520 million units, a 20.5
percent increase on 2002.  Gartner attributed the increase to strong
replacement demand in mature markets, coupled with higher than expected
growth in emerging markets.
"The Asia-Pacific market remained strong in the fourth quarter, fully
recovering from the impact of SARS earlier in the year," said Ann Liang,
analyst for Gartner. "The vendor competition in China remained as fierce
as ever as local vendors fought for market share while the market
continued to surge in India."

Nokia continues to ship the most new units, but its market share has
slipped from 35.1 percent in 2002 to 34.7 percent in 2003, due to
competition and aggressive pricing from its competitors, particularly in
Asia.

Despite a 2.4 percent fall in world market share and the loss of the
leading position in the US mobile handset market, Motorola is still the
second biggest vendor, with 14.5 percent of the market, followed by
Samsung, Siemens and Sony Ericsson.
"Motorola paid a heavy price for the problems it had in delivering some
products on time throughout 2003, particularly in CDMA where both LG and
Nokia made gains at its expense," said Ben Wood, principal analyst at
Gartner. "Motorola has started off this year well, and its outlook for
2004 is increasingly positive."

Motorola is enjoying strong sales of its Integrated Digital Enhanced
Network (iDEN) product, which is a wireless technology combining a
mobile phone, two-way radio, alpha-numeric pager, and data/fax modem in
a single network.

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9403529.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/