Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New radio system is approved

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:59:25 -0500

New radio system is approved
3/18/04
Salisbury Daily Times, MD  

PRINCESS ANNE -- The Somerset County Commissioners have approved
spending
nearly $3.6 million for a new public safety radio system that will
improve
communications between police and fire departments. 

The new 800 megahertz system will allow police and fire departments to
talk
to each other, rather than communicating through a 911 dispatcher. 

The system also will allow Somerset emergency services personnel to talk
to
their counterparts in neighboring Wicomico and Worcester counties where
similar radio systems have already been installed. 

The goal is to have the system in place by fall so that it can be tested
before trees drop their leaves since they can sometimes interfere with
radio
signals, said Jane Wargo of Macom, which was awarded the contract for
the
radio. 

Police officers and firefighters should be able to use the new system on
their handheld radios by Thanksgiving, Wargo said. Units will be
installed
in vehicles later. 

The new radio will be a combination analog and digital system, which is
capable of providing a more private channel for police agencies. 

http://www.dailytimesonline.com/news/stories/20040318/localnews/97896.html
The new system also will require a new microwave tower in Marion
Station,
which will be funded through the state. The system also will transmit
through the Maryland State Police radio tower at the Princess Anne
barrack. 

The county will pay for the radio system with a one-year construction
loan
from Peninsula Bank at 3.12 percent interest. After that, it will be
rolled
over to a term loan. 

The importance of agencies being able to communicate with each other
became
evident during the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center in New
York,
according to Steve Marshall, the county's director of emergency
services. 

In addition to the radio system, the County Commissioners also approved
spending $115,050 on new high-band VHF pagers for county firefighters,
which
are more dependable than the pagers they are using now. 

Marshall said the county might be able to get a grant for the pagers
through
the Department of Homeland Security. 

"I would hate to put $3.6 million into a new radio system and still have
the
same problem with the pagers," he said.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/