Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: Police Departments Upgrading Their Mobile Wireless Networks

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 05:19:12 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: Robert Williams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Police Departments Upgrading Their  Mobile 
Tim,
 
I think in most of the cases reported the signal from NEXTEL site
completely overides (blocks out) the signals going to the public safety
radios.  The problem we experienced in the City of Marietta was when a
patrol car or fire apparatus got within about hundred yards or so of the
NEXTEL site the mobile radio, portable radio and MDT in the public
safety vehicle would not receive or transmit.  This is a very dangerous
situation because the officer or firefighter cannot hear their
dispatcher or other units, nor could he or she call for help or
additional assistance if needed if they were inside the perimeter of
"the dead zone."  In our case the site was on top of a hotel adjacent to
I-75 and overlooking two major intersections.  You could tell you were
about to loose radio communicatons as you got close to the site because
the radio traffic would start breaking up or fluttering within about 125
yards of the building then all of a sudden the radio traffic would just
go away.  Af
 ter you
 went past the site and got about 100 yards or so from it the radio
would start working again.
 
To my knowledge this particular site problem was never officially
reported to APCO, nor was an official complaint filed with NEXTEL.  It
is my understanding that NEXTEL sent some technicians out and replaced
some equipment at the site and possibly realigned some antennas and the
problem disappeared.
 
Robert Williams
Marietta, GA       

Tim Richardson <[email-masked]> wrote:
At 04:38 PM 3/19/04, rwf wrote:
>I honestly don't understand what Nextel's game is.
>
>They interfere with public safety and others and their "solution" is to
>have everyone else move and give the the spectrum to them (Nextel).

I haven't really studied the issue of Nextel causing interence with
public 
safety but here in Acworth, Nextel has a cell tower immediately next
door 
to the police department. There have been no reports of interference on
the 
800 Mhz system.

Just what form does the Nextel interference appear as???

Tim

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:46:27 -0500

Marietta is actually on the Cobb County system.  Tracy Robert's the system
admin. has made numerous reports on Nextel interference
http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_cobb_county_ga/index.htm .

Here is Cobb's system......

853.7375
856.2125
856.7375
856.9875
857.2125
857.7375
857.9875
858.2125
858.7375
858.9875
859.2125
859.7375
859.9875
860.2125
860.7375
860.9875
864.0625
866.1625
866.7000
867.1625
868.2250
868.4500
868.9625

I'll  have to take a look at nextel's network to see what freqs they are using
now in the area.

Steve Fleckenstein wrote:

> How close are the Nextel freqs to the Marietta freqs ? Is this a mixing
> problem ?
>
> Steve

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links