Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DOT expected to formalize stricter fleet monitoring rules

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:24:13 -0500

DOT expected to formalize stricter fleet monitoring rules

By Glenn Bischoff

IWCE/MRT

March 30, 2004 

The U.S. Department of Transportation is expected to impose 
stricter requirements this fall concerning how transportation 
fleets and public utilities monitor their assets and employees, 
according to Norman Ellis, vice president of business operations-
homeland security for Qualcomm Wireless Business Solutions, 
speaking at last week’s IWCE 2004 trade show and conference 
in Las Vegas. 

Ellis predicted the USDOT would formalize a supplemental 
rulemaking issued by the agency in August 2003. The new rules 
would prevent drivers from deviating from routes assigned by 
dispatchers. Currently, it is common practice for drivers to vary 
their routes due to road construction, accidents, traffic or a 
desire to find less expensive fuel. “There is some concern that 
a truck could end up going where it isn’t supposed to go,” Ellis said.

The concerns are greatest concerning the transport of 
hazardous materials, according to Ellis. “Some are wondering 
whether terrorists could do the same thing they did on 9/11 
with a truck carrying chlorine gas.” 

The USDOT also is expected to require drivers to communicate 
with dispatchers every two hours and require dispatchers to 
contact law enforcement if they do not hear from drivers after 
three hours. The new rules could take effect “this summer, 
but no later than this fall,” Ellis said.

Separately, a coalition of organizations—including Qualcomm, 
the American Transportation Research Institute and the 
National Safety Council’s Certified Utility Safety Administrator 
program—are almost finished with field tests of futuristic 
methods to prevent unauthorized access to vehicles and cargo. 

During the last six months, field tests have been completed 
in Illinois, Texas and New York State, with the California test 
scheduled to be completed this week, Ellis said. Four different 
hijacking scenarios were conducted, involving hazardous 
materials in bulk, liquid and gas forms, as well as truckload 
explosives. The tests involved nine carriers, six shippers, six 
consignees and about 100 vehicles, Ellis said. 

Communications systems that were tested included satellite 
and terrestrial wireless backbones. Monitoring systems that 
were tested included vehicle disabling systems, such as a 
global login/biometric identification system that would transmit 
a wireless alert if the system failed to recognize the driver 
attempting to log on, if the driver attempted to log on too many 
times, or if the driver attempted to drive the truck without 
logging on at all. “The system allows the fleet owner to remotely 
prevent the truck from starting, if the driver hasn’t logged in 
properly,” Ellis said.

Another product tested was a “distress finger” wireless alert 
system that would enable a driver to send an SOS in the event 
of a hijacking—“If a driver has a gun to his head, he’s not going 
to be able to get to the panic button located in the dash,” Ellis 
said. Also trialed was a smart card that would contain driver 
information, a shipping manifest and the driver’s pre-assigned 
route; such information would allow authorities to conduct 
verification checks at weight stations. 

 http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_dot_expected_formalize/index.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/