Subject: [NEXTEL-1] BURNS: BACKERS OF E911 BILL ARE URGING

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:31:57 -0500

BURNS:  BACKERS OF E911 BILL ARE URGING
SENATE LEADERSHIP TO SCHEDULE VOTE

Sen. Conrad Burns (R., Mont.) said today he couldn't predict when the
Senate would vote on enhanced "911" (E911) legislation (S 1250) he
introduced, but he said that backers of the measure were making the
case to leadership for why it should be scheduled for a vote on the
floor.

"It all depends on how the leadership looks at the calendar and the
time that [the bill] takes," Sen. Burns said in a conference call with
reporters.  "Right now we're just trying to make our case to leadership
that we're ready to go."  Mike Rawson, Sen. Burns's senior policy
adviser, said at an E911 conference last month that the Senate would
vote on the legislation by the end of March.

The senator, who is chairman of the communications subcommittee of
the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee,
explained that Senate leaders want to know that such a bill is capable
of taking up a relatively small amount of time on the floor - less than
one day - before scheduling the item. He said he didn't expect any
opposition to arise to the legislation, but added, "You never know
what's laying out there. . . . We won't know until we push leadership."
He said he had told Senate leaders that if any opposition threatened to
stall the bill, it could be pulled and rescheduled for a later vote.

S 1250, which cleared the Senate commerce committee last year,
would authorize $500 million a year in grants for E911 deployment
and require that funds be withheld if states divert E911 surcharges for
other purposes.  The House passed E911 legislation (HR 2898) in
November that would authorize $100 million a year in grants.  It also
penalizes states for diverting E911 funds. - Paul Kirby, [email-masked]

http://www.tr.com/online/trd/2004/td033104/index.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/