Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Tutorial on Field Studies of Digital Television Translators

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:06:03 -0500

DA 04-586
March 2, 2004

Tutorial on Field Studies of Digital Television Translators

The FCC’s Office of Engineering and Technology is hosting a tutorial on
recent field studies of digital TV (DTV) translators Monday, March 22,
2004 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon in the Commission Meeting Room
(TW-C305), 445 12th Street, S.W., Washington, D.C.

TV translators are low power television stations that re-transmit the
program service of full power TV stations on a different channel and are
typically used to provide television service to communities located in
less populated areas.  DTV translators will be used to enable rural and
other underserved communities to participate in the transition to
digital TV service.  Highlights of the tutorial will include a
presentation by R. Kent Parsons on his work with experimental digital
television translator stations in the mountains of Utah.  This
information should be of interest to engineers and managers who are
involved in efforts to provide DTV service to rural America.  Mr.
Parsons is the State of Utah TV Translator Coordinator and is Vice
President of the National Translator Association.

Tutorial topics will include:  1) Coverage achieved with very low power
TV translators.  Such low power operation will provide cost savings to
translator operators and open the door for potential conversion of
existing analog TV translators to digital TV operation; 2) Transport of
8-VSB signals using fixed microwave stations, UHF translator relays, and
on-channel boosters; 3) Retransmission of 8-VSB translator signals on a
small local cable distribution system; 4) Adjacent channel operation
using a combination of digital-to-digital and digital-to-analog
channels.  Such adjacent channel operations are likely to be a key
factor in facilitating the availability of the additional channels
needed for digital translators.

In addition to Mr. Parsons, Dr. Byron W. St. Clair and Mr. Gary
Sgrignoli will also be presenting.  Dr. St. Clair is a technical
consultant who frequently represents TV translator interests before the
FCC and is President of the National Translator Association.  Mr.
Sgrignoli is a principal engineer for research and development at Zenith
Corporation and holds 35 television patents, of which many are for the
design of VSB television transmission.

Members of the general public are welcome, and no reservations are
necessary.  For additional information, contact Young Carlson at (202)
418-2427, [email-masked].

RealAudio and streaming video access to the tutorial will be broadcast
live on the Internet via the FCC’s Internet audio broadcast home page at
www.fcc.gov/realaudio.  Videotape of the tutorial may also be purchased
from the FCC contractor, CACI Productions Group (formerly InFocus), 341
Victory Drive, Herndon, VA  20170, by calling at (703) 834-1470.

-FCC-
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-04-586A1.doc

    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/