Subject: [NEXTEL-1] DARPA robo car race

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:04:14 -0800

Marcel, since you were interested in this event....

I watched a dozen different autonomous (i.e. unmamnned) vehicles attempt
quaification yesterday afternoon at the California speedway.

It was a hoot! 

Some had computer meltdowns waiting their turn at the starting gate (one
at a time on the course). One was so severe they withdrew themseves from
the whole event.

I was with one group of whiz kids who's loud confidence become the
opposite as their vehicle took an immediate hard left out of the chute
and almost ran over a judge before they killed it. The next vehicle did
the same thing but turned to the right into barriers.

Many got half way through the course but couldn't resist ramming an
unoccupied SUV parked in their way as an obstacale to be avoided. I
expected to see air bags at any time.

But two DID make it; the biggest and the smallest I saw. The one that
got most if the cheers was a massive yellow-green miltary type truck
that was VERY slow but it went generally where it should have. 

It was interesting watching the vehicles stop and make decisions on
their own.

My money is on Oshkosh #1, Cajun #2 tomorrow, but I have serious doubts
anyone will travel 200 miles in under 10 hours.

Jack Daniel
=======================================

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:24:23 -0500

Thanks Jack!

Did you see the guys from VA Tech? They were suppose to stream some video over
the  VZ 1X EV-DO  Cow durning the race but I never got it. It's a shame no one
finished.

Jack Daniel wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:49:23 -0800

Sorry, Didn't see your buddies.

My crystal ball was working overtime on this one.
After seeing the disasters and dificulties during the preliminary trails
at the California Speedway infield, I decided it was probably not wise
to go to Vegas and sit in the bleachers waiting the finishers.

I feel bad for the kids that worked so hard, BUT reading the local
reporters comments make this seem like an excellent plot for a comedy.

I cracked up when they reported the machine that got the fartherest (7
miles) "encountered an undefined obstacle then burst into flames." 

A local TV report had the reporter talking about the technological
breakthroughs while in the background behind him you could see a vehicle
tumbling over and over.... and it was on flat sand!

Back to the drawing boards.
Jack Daniel
====================================

> > anyone will travel 200 miles in under 10 hours.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:14:46 -0000

They probably had their heads in the BOT trying to get theirs to
going.............

On another note I  had a great time at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Jr.
pulled off another win!

I want to say thanks to Jeff P., Oscar., and Jay from Moto in S-Burg
who went out of their way to make sure I had a good time. 

BTW- Don't tell Timmy.......The Big Announcement was AMS is close to
signing a "Telemetry" deal with a Wimax provider to stream 
video 802.11 throughtout  the complex.

They will be featuring Calypso's 802.11/ PCS Video phone. They are in
the process of a few 
other wireless deal that circumvent Nextel's "Exclusivity" deals. As
one of the AMS big shots said ......"This is the South and we call
the shots! Not Nextel"

 
Yahoo! Groups Links