Subject: [NEXTEL-1] VoIP NPRM POSES SERIES OF QUESTIONS ABOUT FUTURE OF IP-ENABLED SERVICES

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:49:54 -0500

Telecommunications Reports presents.... TRDaily March 10, 2004

VoIP NPRM POSES SERIES OF QUESTIONS ABOUT FUTURE OF IP-ENABLED SERVICES

The FCC late today released its notice of proposed rulemaking on
voice-over-Internet protocol phone services, which the agency terms
IP-enabled services. As expected, the NPRM mostly asks a long series of
questions about how VoIP should be regulated. "This Commission must
necessarily examine what its role should be in this new environment of
increased consumer choice and power, and ask whether it can best meet
its role of safeguarding the public interest by continuing its
established policy of minimal regulation of the Internet and the
services provided over it," the NPRM argues. "To that end, we invite
comment on IP-enabled services available today and those expected to
become available in the future." Questions include how to categorize the
new services and jurisdictional considerations, as well as the
appropriate legal and regulatory framework. The NPRM did not come out
until after 5 p.m. today and there was no initial reaction. Industry
groups and companies have already begun the process of carefully combing
the NPRM to look for anything that resembles guidance among the many
questions posed. - Howard Buskirk, [email-masked]

tr.com
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/