Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Barton Named As Tauzin's Replacement

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:44:45 -0500

Barton Named As Tauzin's Replacement
BY SUSAN RUSH
MARCH 1, 2004

Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, has been named as W.J. "Billy" Tauzin's
replacement to head the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

Tauzin's officially announced he would step down from his post as head
of the committee in early February, which coincided with his
announcement that he would not seek re-election once his term expires at
the end of this year. Tauzin has been heralded as a telecom champion. He
was instrumental in the development and passage of the Telecommunication
Act of 1996.
Barton is seen as more devoted to the energy side, but he is expected to
push for more regulation in the telecom space. As Wireless Week reported
in its Dec. 1, 2003, issue, during a regulatory-focused panel discussion
at the United States Telecom Association's October 2003 trade show,
Barton made a suggestion that the government might have to seek
legislative solutions to some of the telecom industry's problems and a
possible renovation of the 1996 Telecommunications Act.

Despite these comments, CTIA President and CEO Steve Largent came out in
support of the appointment. "I can say from first-hand experience
working with Joe as his vice chairman that his commitment to free
markets over regulation and his common sense approach to legislation
serve him well." He went on to say that Barton's ability to recognize
that competition delivers "value and choice" to consumers will keep the
wireless industry "dynamic and innovative."

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=4&pubdate=03/01/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/