Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CTIA: IP Mobility Path to Future

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:57:39 -0500

CTIA: IP Mobility Path to Future
3-22-2004

Keynoters emphasize business opportunities

Any lingering thoughts that IP mobility is more than a text messaging
fad were disabused by Monday’s three keynote speakers at the CTIA
Wireless 2004 Forum in Atlanta. Text messaging is only the rudimentary
start of what will be part of the transformation of wireless from voice
services to information networks.

While Scott McNealy, chairman, president and CEO of Sun Microsystems,
and John Chambers, president and CEO of Cisco Systems, envisioned
personal business opportunities for IP mobility – especially for players
wise enough to use their technology and systems – FCC Michael Powell may
have delivered the most telling technological message by giving the
industry relative carte blanche to proceed with a new array of
network-based services.

Powell endorsed IP mobility, calling it part of the broadband future
and, prompted by questions from new CTIA President and CEO Steve
Largent, encouraging the audience to “learn to be innovative and on the
leading edge of data or have your lunch eaten.” Most importantly, he
inferred that the federal government, by way of the FCC, would take a
hands-off approach to letting it happen.

“I don’t think [regulation] is inevitable, but it’s a risk,” Powell
said. “It’s yours to lose. Make it difficult for a regulator to justify
intervention.”

At the same time, he agreed, the wireless industry must work out its own
problems and solve disputes because while “a government solution might
be effective, it will take longer than you have.”

The FCC, he said, would like to see the wireless industry move quickly,
adopt broadband –including VoIP – and work with others, including those
with unlicensed spectrum. To help this, he said, the FCC is “moving
cautiously, but purposefully” in uncovering new spectrum to enable
richer wireless applications because wireless broadband is a “critical
component of the broadband future; we’re constantly in a hunt for more
spectrum.”

As that spectrum turns up, McNealy and Chambers will find ways to make
money from it, both promised – sort of. McNealy demonstrated the
capabilities that Java-enabled applications bring in an IP environment;
Chambers laid out a road map for eventual market success.

“The future will be a seamless integration” of wireless and wireline
devices, he predicted. “The next wave of the Internet will be all about
this IP mobility.”

To best take advantage of that next wave, companies must study how
wireline connectivity developed and then implement “process change” to
the way they do business to enable greater wireless flexibility,
Chambers said.
“History repeats itself and the parallels in the wired environment
certainly will repeat,” he said.

“It will be IP productivity that unlocks the power of productivity.”

Like McNealy, Chambers said IP mobility will get its strength from the
larger network, not the individual devices, thus all the pieces will
need to be tied together to “become radio agnostic,” he continued.

Perhaps most tellingly considering Cisco’s acquisitive history, Chambers
outlined what might prove to be the most difficult piece of the road
map.

“I believe partnering will determine our future,” he said, conceding
that this would be even more difficult than acquiring another company.

-- Jim Barthold
 http://www.telecomflash.com/default.asp?journalid=5&func=articles&page=0403tf0401&year=2004&month=3&rsno=5

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/