Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Police cars will get new terminals West Chicago OKs adding technology

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:56:56 -0500

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/west/chi-0403030348mar03,1,268912.story?coll=chi-newslocalwest-hed

Police cars will get new terminals West Chicago OKs adding technology
By Gary Gibula
Special to the Tribune
March 3, 2004

Police squad cars in West Chicago will soon be outfitted with
state-of-the-art mobile computer terminals that are expected to increase
dramatically officer productivity.

City Council members unanimously approved Monday spending more than
$142,000 to buy and install Motorola workstation computers and radio
modems in the city's 21 police cars.

"What it amounts to is increased productivity from our police officers,
resulting from less `down time' in the station writing reports," said
West Chicago Police Chief Gerald Mourning. "Our officers on the streets
will now have quicker access to many different kinds of information."

The new squad car computers replace mobile data terminals bought through
a grant seven years ago.
Mourning said the department prepared to buy the computers similar to
the way it buys new vehicles.
"In this case, we figured roughly $150,000 and a computer life span of
about five years," he said.

"The department has been setting aside $30,000 each of the previous
years, and we're beginning to put money in the bank now for the next
replacement."

Chicago Communication Service Inc., a manufacturer's representative of
Motorola Inc., won the contract over two other bidders.

Mourning said the mobile computers will provide potential access to
local and national databases of missing people, stolen cars and criminal
records of offenders.

"It's a critically important tool for law enforcement today," said Ald.
Lori Chassee, who also chairs the city's Public Safety Committee. "This
is a significant purchase, but also a significant improvement to our
capabilities to respond and deliver police services to the community."

Officials said the new mobile computers will be installed in two to
three months.
Mourning also announced that, thanks to local fundraising efforts, West
Chicago squad cars have been outfitted with automated external
defibrillators.

The Police Department issued a commendation Monday evening to local
student Danielle Meier, who raised money for the defibrillators by
setting up a lemonade stand last summer.

Thanks to the efforts of Meier and her mother, Kathleen Keck, more
donations came in from Central DuPage Hospital, the American Heart
Association and an anonymous foundation. In total, $17,140 was raised.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/