Subject: [NEXTEL-1] West Chicago police in-car computers to cost $150,000

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:18:50 -0500

West Chicago police in-car computers to cost $150,000
By Jake Griffin Daily Herald Staff Writer
Posted 3/2/2004

City officials unanimously approved spending nearly $150,000 for new
in-car
computers for West Chicago's police department.

"We want our police to be fully equipped with technology that lets them
do their job
the best possible way," Mayor Michael Guttman said.

The 21 units cost about $7,800 apiece and should be installed within the
next
three months.

Motorola won the bid from two other candidates. Motorola products are
currently
installed in the squad cars. They have been in place for seven years,
since a
federal grant paid for the equipment and installation.

Police Chief Gerald Mourning said he expects the new units to last about
five
years. He said the units will allow greater productivity from the
officers and require
less downtime to write reports.

"This is the next step for us and allows us to do reports in our cars,"
he said. "It will
meet our needs for a long time."

While state-of-the-art, these computers are not the same systems that
had been
experimented with a little more than a year ago by the department.

Those wireless data systems had the ability to connect with
closed-circuit
cameras at banks and schools as well as other squad cars'
dashboard-mounted
cameras.

Mourning said the cost of those systems could not be justified.

"This is very similar to what we paid for the last time with grant
funds," he said.
"These units have faster and greater memory and the potential for
expandable
components and accessories is greater."

Mourning said the units are also specially designed to handle more
rugged use
than normal computers.

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/