Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ALERT - Mike Powell in NC - BPL PR

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:46:25 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: ALERT - Mike Powell in NC - BPL PR

Laura:

I spoke with the PIO this morning, Gary Pearce (KN4AQ) and voiced that
opinion to him.  Locally some tests have been run, and here's some
interesting tidbits from Gary through our discussion;

1.  Some tests have been run using mobile installations and have found
S9
noise (high level) interference at a range of less than 1/2 mile.
Interference drops significantly past 1/2 mile.  

2.  Progress Energy's tests have been run in rural, remote neighborhoods
where there are zero hams who reside in the immediate area.

3.  The company providing the hardware has offered to somehow implement
notch filters to avoid ham bands.

4.  However, the frequencies may have to be increased due to the
notches,
putting the signals in the 30-49 MHz range.  This will be a MAJOR
problem.

5.  The ARRL has been getting away from their smoke and mirrors approach
to
identifying the interference issues and has been implementing some good
engineering methods to delineate the interference issues.

6.  One interesting idea was that the ARRL may suggest that BPL only be
offered where there are no licensed amateurs within 1/2 mile of the line
carrying the BPL signal.  That will certainly kill off a LOT of square
miles
of usability.  

Gary was planning on attending the presser that should be going on at
this
moment (1:30 PM EST).  It should be noted that the location is well off
the
beaten path - not urban at all.

Todd Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: Laura Smith [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 10:47 AM
Subject: RE: ALERT - Mike Powell in NC - BPL PR

Todd:

Could someone ask him if the FCC has seen or knows of any studies that
have
been done regarding interference (or the lack thereof) from BPL?   I am
having difficulties finding any field studies that have been done on the
effects of BPL.  

Laura

-----Original Message-----
From: tellis1 [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 9:45 AM
Subject: ALERT - Mike Powell in NC - BPL PR

Just got the message that Michael Powell will be in Wake County, North
Carolina (south of Raleigh in the town of Fuqua-Varina) this afternoon
doing
a showcase PR event with Progress Energy regarding their BPL trials.  

Hams from the area, including the ARRL PIO for NC, will also be
attending.

Todd Ellis

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/