Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:35:04 -0500

Updated: 02-27-2004 01:42:33 PM
Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program
Application Period to Open on March 1,
2004

USFA/FEMA Press Release

WASHINGTON, DC - The Department of Homeland Security will open the
application period for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program on
Monday, March 1, 2004 at 9:00 a.m. (e.s.t.). The application period will
be open through 5:00 p.m. (e.s.t.) Friday, April 2, 2004. The Department
invites fire departments throughout the United States to apply for
assistance under this program.

The Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (AFGP) is administered by
the Department of Homeland Security's Office for Domestic Preparedness.
The program assists rural, urban and suburban fire departments
throughout the United States. These funds are used by the nation's
firefighters to increase the effectiveness of firefighting operations,
to improve firefighter health and safety programs and to establish or
expand fire prevention and safety programs. Through the Department of
Homeland Security Appropriations Act of 2004, Congress provided $750
million for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program and transferred
administration of the program from FEMA to ODP.

The FY 2004 AFGP closely mirrors previous years' programs with minor
changes and enhancements. All the program areas and activities available
last year are eligible for funding again this year. Emergency medical
services activities, however, are not an independent program area for
the 2004 program year. Rather, EMS activities have been incorporated
into the appropriate activities under the Operations and Firefighter
Safety Program.  Additionally, this year all Federal grantees must
obtain a DUNS number, (a unique nine-character identification number
provided by the commercial company Dun & Bradstreet). The Federal
government will use the DUNS number to better identify related
organizations that are receiving funding under grants and cooperative
agreements and to provide consistent name and address data for
electronic grant applications.
Additional information about DUNS numbers can be found on the Dun &
Bradstreet Web site
(www.dnb.com/US/duns_update/index.html). There is no charge to obtain a
DUNS number, and it is the applicant's responsibility to obtain one. It
is recommended that applicants request a DUNS number as soon as possible
by calling 1-800-333-0505.

As in past years, the Application and Program Guidance are automated and
will be available online on March 1, 2004. They will both be accessible
from the ODP Website (www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp) and USFA Website
(www.usfa.fema.gov). Additionally, the Websites contain other useful
background information on the AFGP, including a list of Frequently Asked
Questions and the currently scheduled AFGP workshops. Fire departments
that have questions regarding the Assistance to Firefighters Grant
Program should contact the fire grant help desk at 1-866-274-0960 or at
[email-masked].
On March 1, 2003, the Office for Domestic Preparedness became a part of
the Department of Homeland Security. The Homeland Security Act of 2002
(Public Law 107-296) designated ODP as the principal Federal agency
responsible for the preparedness of the United States for acts of
terrorism, including coordinating preparedness efforts at the Federal
level, and working with all State, local, tribal, parish, and private
sector emergency response providers on all matters pertaining to
combating terrorism, including training, exercises, and equipment
support. To support this mission, ODP administers a number of programs
that provide a wide-array of support to our nation's emergency
preparedness and response community. For more information on ODP, please
contact the Website at www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp.

For media inquiries, please contact either Chris Rizzuto or David Hess
in the Office for Domestic Preparedness at 202-305-9887.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=12&id=26787

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/