Subject: [NEXTEL-1] 2 new mobile operators to be allowed

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:46:50 -0500

2 new mobile operators to be allowed
Matamat.com, Bangladesh - Feb 23, 2004

Indian Company has blessings of top political scion, allege quarters
The government is set to permit two new mobile telephone operators,
including one from India, to create what it calls a more ‘healthy and
competitive environment’ in cellular telephony in the country, said a
highly placed source in the government.The source also told New Age that
the Indian company is likely to enter the Bangladesh mobile telecom
market with the blessings of a member of a top political family.

In order to justify the entrance of the Indian company, the Bangladesh
Telecom Regulatory Commission (BTRC) is set to float a tender by April
to include one or more mobile telephone operators.

According to a BTRC source, an ‘optimum use of spectrum’ study is
underway to facilitate the allocation of frequencies for the upcoming
mobile operators.

The new cellular phone operators will also get radio trunking licences
along with their mobile operator licences, said the source.  According
to experts, the digital trunking system protocol for trunked mobile
radio systems at UHF and VHF frequencies can give rise to the cheapest
tariff in mobile telephony.

“It will be possible to bring the call rate down Tk 1 per minute by
using the radio trunking system,” the source said, and added that the
Indian operator has already launched radio trunking system in its
country for long distance telephony.  The BTRC source also said that one
can hardly find more than three to four mobile telephone operators in
almost all countries across the world.  However, Bangladesh has already
four cell phone operators –– Pacific Bangladesh Telecom Limited (PBTL)
(CityCell), Grameen Phone, TM International-Bangladesh (Aktel) and Sheba
–– who have about 18 lakh mobile connections.  Interestingly, PBTL was
the first to launch mobile phone in the subcontinent in 1989 with AMPS
(Advanced Mobile Phone System).  Recently they have upgraded the system
to Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) technology, which is also the
first of its kind in the subcontinent.

The other three Operators – Grameen Phone, TMIB and Sheba — are
providing cellular services with GSM (Global System of Mobile
telecommunication) technology.

 http://www.matamat.com/fullstory.php?gd=18&cd=2004-02-23

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG