Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Conflicting FCC licenses, Houston metro area

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:19:21 EST

Is that the huge tower in Missouri City, something like 1700 feet, that once 
collapsed when the top section was being put on?  If so, my licensing 
assistant has a picture of when she went to the 1400 foot level for some due diligence 
on an acquisition......

In any event, these are Broadcast Auxilary frequencies, assigned under 
74.402.  The applicable section reads:

(g)  Remote pickup stations or systems will not be granted exclusive channel 
assignments.  The same channel or channels may be assigned to other licensees 
in the same area.  When such sharing is necessary, the provisions of §74.403 
shall apply.

Section 74.403 reads:

§74.403  Frequency selection to avoid interference. 

 (a)  Where two or more remote pickup broadcast station licensees are 
authorized to operate on the same frequency or group of frequencies in the same area 
and when simultaneous operation is contemplated, the licensees shall endeavor 
to select frequencies or schedule operation in such manner as to avoid mutual 
interference.  If mutual agreement to this effect cannot be reached the 
Commission shall be notified and it will specify the frequency or frequencies on 
which each station is to be operated

 (b)  The following order of priority of transmissions shall be observed on 
all frequencies except frequencies 26.07 MHz, 26.11 MHz, and 26.45 MHz, and 
frequencies listed in §74.402(a)(4) and (c)(1):

  (1)  Communications during an emergency or pending emergency directly 
related to the safety of life and property.

  (2)  Program material to be broadcast.

  (3)  Cues, orders, and other related communications immediately necessary 
to the accomplishment of a broadcast.

  (4)  Operational communications.

  (5)  Tests or drills to check the performance of standby or emergency 
circuits.

Hope this helps.

Alan Tilles

In a message dated 3/9/2004 12:07:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
Here in Houston, we've got two FCC licensees (both local news media) 
each holding the same channel pairs in an overlapping area. The two 
transmitter sites are about 30 miles apart. Each site interferes with 
the other. The address below in Missouri City, Texas is where nearly all 
of the Houston area broadcast radio and TV transmitter sites are located 
(wear your RF suit when visiting).

Fox Television Stations license WPKQ393 apparently issued October 23, 1998
5034 Mchard Rd. ("antenna alley")
Missouri City, Texas.

450.4875 and 455.4875 (plus two other pairs) at 120 watts on 600' tower.

Metro Networks license KPF310 apparently originally issued April 11, 1984
3050 Post Oak (Galleria area).
Houston, Texas

450.4875/455.4875 at 20 watts on 77' structure.

My question is ... how are issues like these normally resolved? It looks 
like the FCC messed up on this one. My guess is Fox looks to be the 
incumbent but without all the facts, it's hard to tell.

-rick

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 20:08:03 -0600

[email-masked] wrote:

Is that the huge tower in Missouri City, something like 1700
feet, that once collapsed when the top section was being put on?

Probably so ... I vaguely remember that story making the local news ...
the antenna farm in "Mo City" has multiple towers (six I think).

If so, my licensing assistant has a picture of when she went to
the 1400 foot level for some due diligence on an acquisition......

Did she walk, climb or fly to get up there? Southeast of there is a
small airport in Arcola , Texas called Houston Southwest Airport.
When taking off, care
must be taken to avoid becoming an ornament on a very tall Christmas
tree.

In any event, these are Broadcast Auxilary frequencies, assigned
under 74.402.  The applicable section reads:

Cool. Thanks Alan!

-rick

--

"NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"

Note The New address

Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

"NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"

Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

"WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"

The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.

Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.