Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Hopeful Commerce Committee Chairman Calls for Telecom Overhaul in 2005

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:05:41 -0500

Hopeful Commerce Committee Chairman Calls for Telecom Overhaul in 2005

Congress may rewrite portions of current telecommunications law as early
as 2005, Senate Appropriations Chairman Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, told a
USTA Leadership Conference recently.  Stevens, who is vying for
leadership of the Senate Commerce Committee in 2005, plotted a road map
of reform that includes expanding Universal Service Fund contributions
and an agenda of "regulatory parity."

Stevens, a seven-term senator, said he intends to seek chairmanship of
the Commerce Committee in 2005. Republican senators are bound by
self-imposed term limits for committee chairmanships. Stevens and
current Commerce Committee Chairman John McCain, R-Ariz., will see their
leadership terms expire at the end of this session. In both parties,
chairman seats are set by party leaders. Stevens' seniority and current
chairmanship of a prestigious committee are factors in his favor, but
more is involved, including personal, political and geographical
considerations. Observers say Stevens is virtually assured of the
position.

Although Stevens predicts significant efforts to reform
telecommunications law in 2005, he acknowledged that comprehensive
legislative reform could take years. Stevens offered few specifics, but
said legislative efforts would seek "regulatory parity." He said USF
reform would be a key initiative, and advocated a revised formula that
would require more parties, including broadband service providers, to
pay into the system.

Hill and industry sources also predicted that Rep. Joe Barton, R-Tex.,
who is believed to be the front runner for a possible opening for House
Commerce Committee chairman, would advocate a major overhaul of telecom
policy. Current House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Billy
Tauzin, R-La., has been in talks with industry associations and has
announced his plans to retire before the end of the 109th Congress.

It is highly unlikely that any significant legislation would move this
year, given election year politics. Although Stevens said he would like
to see Enhanced 911 ("E911") funding legislation pass this year, its
spending requirements make it controversial. The bill, S. 1250, would
request $500 million a year for E911 deployment, compared with the $100
million-a-year price tag on E911 legislation that already has passed the
House, H.R. 2989, Stevens said carriers were having trouble building out
E911 technology because of other regulatory requirements, including
local number portability.

Sources said Stevens worked very closely with Sen. Ernest Hollings,
former Commerce Committee chairman, during the drafting of the
Telecommunications Act of 1996. Another source said Stevens has close
ties to AT&T, especially since the company bought a regional Alaskan
long distance provider in the late 1980s. "He's not a Bell-head, he's
supportive of the Telecommunications Act," an industry source said.
Meanwhile, Barton is said to be likely to support Bell positions on
telecommunications reform.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/