Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Citywide Wireless Network On Hold In Grand Haven

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:35:51 -0500

Citywide Wireless Network On Hold In Grand Haven
Source: Grand Rapids Business Journal
Publication date: 2004-02-16
Arrival time: 2004-02-28

GRAND HAVEN - The full deployment of a high-speed wireless network
citywide will have to wait a few months, as the start-up company behind
the venture focuses on optimizing the technology, addressing a surge in
interest from other communities and focusing in the short term on a
niche
product.

For that trio of reasons, Ottawa Wireless LLC won't launch the network
citywide until this spring as testing continues with a small group of
customers in the downtown area and adjoining neighborhoods.

In slowing down the broader launch, Ottawa Wireless founder Tyler van
Houwelingen wants to ensure that the technology works as promised and
to continue working with frequencies and antennae locations to "make it
even better."

"As a small company, you can damage your reputation by trying to go too
fast," said van Houwelingen, who formed the company late last year and
wants to use the network in Grand Haven as a pilot for deploying
additional
systems elsewhere.

"We want to make sure everything's going fantastic before we really cut
it
loose," he said. "To assure a smooth customer experience, we need to
build up a little more."

The Grand Haven City Council recently awarded Ottawa Wireless a
franchise to deploy the wireless network across town. The agreement gave

formality to van Houwelingen's push to deploy a citywide network and
create a so-called "hot city," as opposed to "hot spots" where highspeed

wireless Internet service is limited to certain locations like
restaurants,
coffee shops and airports.

Van Houwelingen plans to offer the service for $19.95 a month

In addition to taking a careful approach to rolling out the network
citywide,
Ottawa Wireless has received several inquiries from other communities in

the region and a few across the nation that are interested in having a
wireless telecom system deployed. A small company with a limited staff,
Ottawa Wireless is working to respond to those inquiries and formulate a

plan to license out the technology, while still putting resources toward

lighting the Grand Haven network.

Van Houwelingen is hiring additional technical staff to better balance
the
strong response and interest he's received since announcing the venture
in
December.

"How fast can we build it up and how fast can we operate as a company
are the main things right now," he said.

As the company works out those issues, van Houwelingen plans to pursue
a niche market for wireless Internet service boaters on Lake Michigan.

The network Ottawa Wireless is putting together will cover 15 miles out
into Lake Michigan, from south of Holland to north of Muskegon,
providing
an opportunity to target recreational boaters and charter fishing boats
for
service.

Van Houwelingen, who will market the service during this week's boat
show at DeVos Place in Grand Rapids, sees a small but profitable market
in offering wireless service to boaters.

"There's a pretty good niche there," he said.

http://cnniw.yellowbrix.com/pages/cnniw/Story.nsp?story_id=47672862&ID=cnniw&scategory=Telecommunications%3AWireless&

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/