Subject: [NEXTEL-1] JTRS soldier contract may come soon

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:04:42 -0500

JTRS soldier contract may come soon
BY Frank Tiboni
March 9, 2004

The Army could award a contract this month to one of two industry teams
to build the handheld, backpack and wearable devices of the Joint
Tactical Radio System.

A top Defense Department JTRS official said in January the contract
would be awarded in April. However, industry officials say that it could
come as early as mid-March.

JTRS devices are designed to replace the military's disparate radios
with a unified standard that can be customized for each service. The
military owns more than 750,000 radios of 25 makes and models, many of
which are incompatible.
DOD officials hope the new systems will decrease those numbers and
increase radio functionality by operating across the spectrum from 2 MHz
to 2 GHz. JTRS radio abilities will be defined largely by software,
which should make updates easier for new applications and allow radio
casings to be used more than once.

ITT Industries Inc., located in Fort Wayne, N.J., and General Dynamics
Corp., located in Falls Church, Va., submitted proposals for the JTRS
handheld, backpack and soldier-system radios, called Cluster 5, said the
industry officials. The Cluster 5 program will produce the first JTRS
software-defined radio in the military by 2005, said Air Force Col.
Steven MacLaird, director of the JTRS Joint Program Office, speaking in
January at the Network Centric Warfare 2004 conference.

The military divided the JTRS program into four categories:

* Cluster 1: Army air and ground vehicles.
* Cluster 2: Special Operations Command systems.
* Cluster 5: Three Army devices.
* AMF: the Air Force and Navy airborne-maritime-fixed stations.

The Air Force and the Navy in November combined their JTRS programs,
called Clusters 3 and 4. Military officials expect Cluster 1 and 2
radios to be ready in 2007 and AMF in 2009.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0308/web-jtrs-03-09-04.asp
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/