Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC releases NPRM on IP-Enabled Services

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:57:39 -0500

March 11, 2004

Federal Communications Commission 
(FCC 04-28)

Before the
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of
IP-Enabled Services

WC Docket No. 04-36
NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING
Adopted: February 12, 2004 
Released: March 10, 2004

Comment date: 60 Days After Federal Register Publication of this Notice
Reply Comment date: 90 Days After Federal Register Publication of this
Notice

INTRODUCTION

1. In this Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (Notice), we examine issues
relating to services and applications making use of Internet Protocol
(IP), including but not limited to voice over IP (VoIP) services
(collectively, "IP-enabled services").1 We seek comment on the impact
that IP-enabled services, many of which are accessed over the Internet,
have had and will continue to have on the United States' communications
landscape. As a truly global network providing instantaneous
connectivity to individuals and services, the Internet has transcended
historical jurisdictional boundaries to become one of the greatest
drivers of consumer choice and benefit, technical innovation, and
economic development in the United States in the last ten years. We
acknowledge that it has done so in an environment that is free of many
of the regulatory obligations applied to traditional telecommunications
services and networks. Carriers have begun to realize efficiencies
associated with utilization of IP in both the backbone and the "last
mile" of their networks. Customers are beginning to substitute
IP-enabled services for traditional telecommunications services and
networks, and we seek comment on the rate and extent of that
substitution. Increasingly, these customers will speak with each other
using VoIPbased services instead of circuit-switched telephony and view
content over streaming Internet media instead of broadcast or cable
platforms. By doing so, they will change, fundamentally, their use of
these applications and services - consumers will become increasingly
empowered to customize the services they use, and will choose these
services from an unprecedented range of service providers and platforms.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-28A1.pdf

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/