Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Olympic Security Group Begin Exercises

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:39:38 -0500

Published Wednesday, March 3, 2004
Olympic Security Group Begin Exercises

By LISA ORKIN
Associated Press Writer
ATHENS, Greece

An American-led consortium installing surveillance
equipment and other security systems for the
Olympics began a two-day exercise Wednesday to
test communication links between Greek agencies.

"We're also giving individuals who will be involved in the actual
security process an opportunity to work with the equipment and see how
it works," Dave Tubbs, senior vice president of San Diego-based Science
Applications International Corp., or SAIC, told The Associated Press.

Greek police, firefighters and coast guards are participating in the
exercise, but no forces from the seven-nation security advisory group,
which includes the United States, are taking part, Tubbs said.

SAIC, in charge of setting up more than 100 command centers around the
city, is the linchpin of the record $800 million security network.

The exercise will also test stationary closed-circuit cameras that will
operate from some 1,250 concrete columns and systems to find the
location of vehicles.

Tubbs said the surveillance network will also include helicopters and a
blimp that will send images to personnel managing traffic and crowd
control.

About 4,000 security personnel must be trained to work with the
equipment, which includes computers and communications systems.

Other companies in the consortium include: Motorola Inc., Germany's
Siemens AG;
General Dynamics of Falls Church, Virginia; New Jersey-based Honeywell
International, and the Israeli company Elbit Systems.

ATHENS, Greece (AP) - Athens 2004 organizers relocated 246 sports
officials whose accommodations on cruise ships were canceled because of
a shipping company's financial problems.
Officials from the U.S. and French Olympic committees, as well as 18
other committees, will be moved to different ships during the games.

Three of the fleet of 11 cruise ships to be used as floating hotels in
Athens' port of Piraeus during the games will not be used after operator
Royal Olympia Cruises filed for bankruptcy protection in December.
Due to a shortage of hotel rooms in Athens, organizers plan to house
13,000 officials and other visitors on the ships.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040303/APS/403030895

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/