Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Readies World Phone Launch

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:49:35 -0500

Motorola Readies World Phone Launch
BY SUSAN RUSH
MARCH 23, 2004

Even though so-called world phones have yet to hit the commercial
marketplace, buzz about their introduction is heating up. The latest:
Motorola unveiled its first handset entry that supports both CDMA and
GSM technology.

The A840, which is expected to make its market debut in North America
later this year, combines 800/1900 CDMA, CDMA 1X and 900/1800 GSM
technologies. The handset will work on both GSM and CDMA networks to
enable global roaming with just one wireless phone.

Last month, Verizon Wireless said its world phone will debut in April.
The carrier pushed back a late 2003 release in December to continue
testing. Samsung Electronics is expected to deliver Verizon Wireless'
first world phone handset.  Verizon is developing the world phone in
conjunction with Vodafone, a 45 percent stakeholder in Verizon Wireless.

Although many carriers currently offer phones that work worldwide, they
don't support both technologies on a single handset. The world phone
arena is expected to get more crowded, however. Motorola's A840 is
expected to retail for around $400. The company did not release any
carrier deals for the handset.  Verizon Wireless has yet to reveal its
world phone pricing plans.

Separately, Motorola announced its new Motorola MPx handset will support
Good Technology's GoodLink wireless messaging and corporate data access
system.  The deal is a big win for the start-up company looking to
compete with well-established rival Research In Motion.

The MPx sports e-mail, phone and organizer features. The handset also
will feature built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth technology and a color display.
The device will run on Microsoft's Windows Mobile Pocket PC platform and
is expected to hit retail shelves in the second half of 2004.

Good Technology also lists PalmOne as one of its customers. The company
supplies its e-mail application for the PalmOne Treo smartphone.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=03/23/04

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/