Subject: [NEXTEL-1] AT&T Wireless Gets Jamaican License For A Song

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:47:25 -0500

AT&T Wireless Gets Jamaican License For A Song
BY SUSAN RUSH
MARCH 10, 2004

AT&T Wireless was awarded a license to deliver cellular services in
Jamaica yesterday. The government sold the four-year license for $5.9
million, well below the $50 million previously paid by existing
providers, but says high network buildout and customer acquisition costs
justify the reduced rate.

Jamaica's telecom sector opened up just four years ago, but the market
has already become saturated, according to Commerce Secretary Phillip
Paulwell.  "AT&T Wireless has chosen to invest at a time when the cost
of acquiring customers is higher, the cost of deploying a network in the
1900 band is higher than for the bands occupied by the other licensees
and at a time when the available spectrum is at its lowest," Paulwell
says.

Beyond the fee paid for the license, AT&T Wireless has agreed to invest
$16.5 million to build its network, which is expected to be up and
running in the resort areas of Ocho Rios, Negril and Montego Bay by the
end of 2004. Jamaica has embraced telecom, both wireless and fixed line
services. The island, which has a population of 2.6 million, has 1.8
million fixed line and wireless subscribers combined.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=5&pubdate=03/10/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/