Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Calypso Charges On Wi-Fi Patent Enforcement

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:49:47 -0000

Calypso Charges On Wi-Fi Patent Enforcement 
By Susan Rush
March 4, 2004 

Shares of Calypso Wireless surged nearly 30 percent following news 
that the company is planning to enforce its newly awarded patent that 
covers roaming between cellular and wireless local area networks. The 
company has begun contacting wireless OEMs.

Last week, Calypso was awarded a U.S. patent entitled "Communications 
system and method," which covers the seamless roaming of voice, video 
and data between wide area network access points. The ASNAP 
(Automatic Switching of Network Access Points) technology, according 
to Calypso, enables wireless devices to switch between network types 
without losing the connection.

The company says it is negotiating with one major OEM to license its 
technology, but goes on to say that the patent will require OEMs to 
obtain rights from Calypso even without formal licensing agreements.

The patent, says Calypso, "could have a significant and immediate 
impact on the development of the industry," and "major implications 
on the way OEMs such as Nokia, Ericsson and Motorola do business."

While some OEMs may see the move by Calypso as a way to take money 
out of their pockets, Calypso has another take. "Our technology could 
dramatically boost overall wireless handset sales and change the 
industry's growth projections globally," Calypso's President and CEO 
David Davila says. "By teaming up with us, OEMs will now be able to 
manufacture and market such devices and dramatically boost their 
sales." 

As of mid-day Eastern time, Calypso shares were up 70 cents, or 26.9 
percent, to $3.30.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?
layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=03/04/04

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/