Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Siemens,Motorola and Ericsson to develop a standard for so-called "push-to-talk" technology.

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:14:15 -0500

As I have said before Qualcomm suckered Timmy with Q-Chat. Timmy thought
the $100M he paid Q-com would prohibit PTT development but his own iDEN
(i Do Everything Nextel) people are stabbing him in the back......

If you notice Q-Chat development is WAY behind schedule just as many
other Stumbling, Bubbling, Mumbling Barry West projects.

I guess Moto showed Timmy "How Business REALLY gets DONE!"

Timmmy.........  "Can You Hear me Now?"

=========================================================================

Siemens to Cooperate with Ericsson, Motorola
Tue Mar 16, 2004 05:20 AM ET

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - German technology conglomerate Siemens said on
Tuesday it would cooperate with rivals Motorola and Ericsson to develop
a standard for so-called "push-to-talk" technology.

Push-to-talk allows handsets to be used like walkie-talkies -- a feature
mobile phone operators believe will increase their revenues by
encouraging users to talk more. It is popular in north America but has
yet to take off elsewhere.
The three companies will conduct tests to make their technologies
compatible with each other, enabling customers of different operators to
talk to one another -- something that is essential if push-to-talk is to
penetrate the mass market.

But although many phone companies, including Siemens and market leader
Nokia, are part of the Open Mobile Alliance, which aims to develop
unified, open standards for various kinds of messaging, they are still
pursuing different paths.

Nokia last month announced a separate interoperability cooperation with
Samsung, whom it supplies with push-to-talk technology.

A Siemens spokesman told Reuters Siemens was still committed to a single
push-to-talk standard and expected the alliance with Motorola and
Ericsson would expand.

"Nokia was invited to participate but they decided not to, at this
stage," the spokesman said. "We are still promoting an open standard."

He added that there were other companies who wanted to join the Siemens
alliance, without giving further details.
Siemens will show its first push-to-talk-enabled phone at Germany's
CeBIT telecoms and electronics trade fair on Wednesday.

The handset -- a version of its CX65 phone launched three weeks ago --
will be on the market in the second quarter of this year.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=4575882&section=news

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG