Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NASCAR radio delayed 7 seconds

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:36:42 -0500

NASCAR radio delayed 7 seconds
March 15, 2004

So much for real time.

The Performance Radio Network instituted a seven-second delay for its
coverage of Sunday's NASCAR Nextel Cup Golden Corral 500, just in case
another driver utters an expletive like Busch Series driver Johnny
Sauter did in a live interview during the Sam's Town 300, eight days
earlier.

Shucks! Sauter's loose lips earned him a dadgum $10,000 fine, he was
docked 25 series points and placed on probation through Dec. 31.

It's not that PRN is fearful of offending sensitive NASCAR fans; the
network is worried about those big fines the FCC is threatening in the
wake of the Janet Jackson-Justin Timberlake Super Bowl incident.
(Maybe drivers better not race three abreast anymore, either.)

In a worst-case scenario, vice president/general manager Doug Rice told
the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram a slip of the tongue could cost PRN a
$12.4-million fine.

"You're looking at huge potential fines," said Rice, who explained the
FCC levies a $27,000 fine per on-air "indecency." "We could be fined
exponentially per number of affiliates -- 460 for a Nextel Cup race.
We're not talking about a couple hundred dollar fine here. We're talking
about global-killer type fines."

Remember, NASCAR fans and broadcasters with scanners can eavesdrop on
drivers talking to their crews, and that's where salty exchanges can
come in.

"To be honest with you, what we say on our radio inside our race car is
our own business and nobody else's," Dale Earnhardt Jr. said. "Anybody
else can tune in, but it's at your own risk."

"I'm as guilty as anybody. There is a time when you've got to remember
there are kids watching. You forget. You're thinking about what's making
you mad. You want to vent, and you can get out of hand."

JOHN HENRY WILLIAMS, who died March 6 of leukemia, will be frozen next
to his pop, Baseball Hall of Famer Ted Williams.

The son's will dictates that his body be "cryonically suspended" by
Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Ariz., like his father's
was in 2002, the St. Petersburg Times reported.

http://www.freep.com/sports/othersports/line15_20040315.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/