Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Poll: Give us interoperability

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:28:32 -0500

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Poll: Give us interoperability
BY Dibya Sarkar
March 31, 2004

A new poll shows that most Americans believe the government could do
more to protect the country from terrorism — particularly by sharing
information better, improving systems interoperability and tightening
border security — but they're not worried about cyberattacks.

Creating information systems to share data among law enforcement, health
and emergency agencies (37 percent) and improved border security (37
percent) tied as the top two priorities for improving homeland security,
according to a report released by the Council for Excellence in
Government.

The report, "From the Home Front to the Front Line: America Speaks Out
About Homeland Security," was based on a national poll of 1,600
Americans conducted in early February by Hart-Teeter Research and
sponsored by Accenture. Hart-Teeter also conducted a sample poll of 250
first responders — 125 firefighters, 75 police chiefs and 50 sheriffs.

First responders listed emergency response equipment and training as
their top concern (51 percent), while better information sharing came in
second (34 percent) and border security was third (25 percent). They
also cite a lack of funding as their most significant barrier to
creating an interoperable communication system among government
agencies.

Overall, the poll showed that 47 percent of Americans feel safer now,
compared to the 38 percent who felt that way when asked the same
question 18 months ago. And only 50 percent were very or somewhat
concerned about a terrorist act in their area vs. 71 percent in the
previous poll.

The poll also revealed that most Americans are little prepared for a
terrorist attack and not aware of what their state and local governments
are doing about security even though they say there is a role for them.
Terrorism is third in the public's overall priorities, behind the
economy and health care.

Within the terrorism category, bioterrorism emerged as the type of
attack Americans worry about most (48 percent), followed by chemical
weapons (37 percent) and nuclear attacks (23 percent). Cyberterrorism
worried them the least (9 percent). First responders echoed the public's
top two worries.

Power plants (49 percent), airports/airplanes (46 percent) and water
facilities (44 percent) emerged as the top three targets of concern to
the public. First responders added public places such as stadiums and
harbors/ports to their list of top worries.

What Americans are saying, according to pollster Peter Hart, is "we've
told you we think these are targets of concern. We expect something to
be done here."

Hart also said most Americans get their information and news from
television and radio, but many — particularly those who are more
educated, wealthier and younger than 35 — get their information from
government and news Web sites.

Sue Mencer, director of the Homeland Security Department's Office for
Domestic Preparedness, said she wasn't surprised by any of the findings
but felt Americans are becoming more complacent. "This weapon of
terrorism has been with us for a while and likely to be with us for a
long while, and we don't want to become complacent," she said during a
panel discussion this morning.

She said she believed those who live in the middle of the country view
terrorism as mainly an East Coast problem.

Stanley Gutkowski, managing director of Accenture's government practice,
said in New York City, which created a centralized call center available
by simply dialing 311, citizens have a faster and better way to
communicate with government officials on a wide range of issues,
including providing information about terrorism. He also said the
federal government's program to track foreign visitors will tighten
border security.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0329/web-poll-03-31-04.asp

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/