Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Qualcomm BREWs Up Chat Biz In India

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:49:31 -0500

Qualcomm BREWs Up Chat Biz In India
BY SUSAN RUSH
MARCH 18, 2004

India is getting push-to-talk services, thanks to a new deal forged
between Qualcomm and an Indian telecom service provider Tata
Teleservices. The agreement will make Qualcomm's BREWChat commercially
available in India.

The BREWChat platform, which is built on Qualcomm's QChat root
technology, uses VoIP technologies to enable walkie-talkie functions on
3G CDMA wireless devices and is designed specifically for CDMA2000 1X
Release 0 networks.
Beginning mid-year, Tata plans to offer push to chat services to about
40 percent of its markets, with plans to up the rollout to a national
level soon thereafter.  Tata serves roughly seven million customers.

In a side agreement, Tata also has agreed to launch BREW-based
applications and services to its wireless subscriber base. The
BREW-enabled handsets give subscribers access to a host of applications,
including games, ringtones, e-mail, location-based services, MMS, Web
browsers and customized user interfaces.

Qualcomm has been working feverishly to get BREWChat out to the
commercial market. In December, the company inked a deal with Kyocera
Wireless to development CDMA handsets that support the BREWChat service.
Kyocera was a natural partner to launch BREWChat; the company was the
first out of the gate with a commercially available BREW-enabled
handset.
India seems to be a hotbed of activity these days. Several companies
have announced plans to move at least some of their operations there.
Motorola recently said it was closing three design centers to centralize
its operations in India and China. Earlier this week, Qualcomm said it
is mulling the idea of opening a chip design center in the country.
India is gaining in popularity among telecom companies, in part, because
of the low costs associated with operating there.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=03/18/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/