Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Vs. The Feds

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:10:45 -0500

BusinessWeek Online
Nextel Vs. The Feds
Monday March 29, 10:23 am ET

Another battle royal is breaking out in the telecom industry over rights
to valuable airwaves. The Federal Communications Commission is
considering a solution to interference problems that have arisen between
fast-growing Nextel Communications and public-safety agencies.
Regulators seem inclined to grant Nextel's wishes to abandon much of its
current slot in the spectrum, leaving that band in the hands of safety
agencies. In return, it wants new space in a potentially more lucrative
part of the airwaves where other cellular-phone companies operate.
Competing cellular providers, such as Cingular Wireless and even a
handful of police and fire departments, complain that the switcheroo
amounts to a big spectrum giveaway. Nextel says other cellular carriers
operating in the safety agencies' zone are getting a free ride on its
dime. It has offered to pay $850 million to cover switching costs.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizwk/040329/c3877065mz013_6.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/