Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Vanu, Inc. Announces Evaluation Agreement with Motorola for the Development of Next-Generation Rural iDEN Base Station Solutions

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:36:46 -0500

Vanu, Inc. Announces Evaluation Agreement with Motorola for the
Development of Next-Generation Rural iDEN Base Station Solutions 

CTIA Wireless 2004 

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 22, 2004--Vanu, Inc. and Motorola 
Inc. announce the signing of an Evaluation Agreement to determine the 
technical and commercial feasibility of using Vanu's unique software 
defined cellular base station solution to incorporate the iDEN(R) air 
interface protocol developed by Motorola along with the GSM air 
interface protocol to create a base station product that can support 
both technologies simultaneously using a common radio transceiver. 

The development of a combined GSM/iDEN software defined base station 
radio solution, if the concept proves to be viable, would be an 
industry first and will enable the deployment of a multimode cellular 
infrastructure network. Vanu, Inc. plans to integrate iDEN and GSM on 
a single base station transceiver (BTS) that would interconnect to 
either Motorola's Harmony(TM) small market controller or to a 
standard iDEN mobile switching office (MSO). The resulting solution 
has the potential to allow rural wireless carriers to offer both 
local and roaming services to both GSM and iDEN users in a single 
cell site package. 

"Typically, rural coverage areas have limited wireless services 
available because the business case for rural operators does not 
justify the capital investment to serve a relatively small number of 
local or roaming calls associated with one type of cellular 
technology. The Vanu solution, if it proves to be commercially 
viable, should change the business economics by allowing the rural 
operator to serve a significantly larger potential base of users with 
common infrastructure," stated Fred Wright, senior vice president and 
general manager of Motorola's Global Telecom Solutions Sector - North 
America. 

"Vanu, Inc.'s software radio solution provides a compelling 
alternative to traditional wireless network deployment," declared 
Barry West, Nextel CTO. "We are looking seriously at the technology 
to extend our service offering to rural America in a cost effective 
way." 

In 1998, Vanu, Inc. began developing the concepts and architectural 
designs that now make it possible to run multimode software radio 
infrastructure on industry standard servers. "Vanu, Inc. is very 
pleased to be working with Motorola's iDEN group on this ground-
breaking project," offered Vanu, Inc. CEO and president, Vanu 
Bose, "The combination of our software radio technology and the 
unique features of iDEN should provide a compelling product for rural 
and underdeveloped markets." 

About Vanu, Inc. 

Vanu, Inc. applies modern software engineering techniques to the high-
speed signal processing elements at the core of wireless devices to 
create portable software radio applications that greatly increase the 
pace of innovation in wireless devices. Vanu, Inc. licenses software 
radio components and applications and provides design-consulting 
services to wireless OEMs, system integrators and service providers. 
The company targets three basic platforms, each addressing a distinct 
market segment: infrastructure, vehicular and handheld. Vanu, Inc. 
was founded in 1998 and is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. 

Vanu, Inc., the stylized V logo and Vanu Software Radio are 
trademarks or registered trademarks of Vanu, Inc. 

About Motorola 

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in wireless, broadband 
and automotive communications technologies that help make life 
smarter, safer, simpler, synchronized and fun. Sales in 2003 were 
US$27.1 billion. Motorola creates innovative technological solutions 
that benefit people at home, at work and on the move. The company 
also is a progressive corporate citizen dedicated to operating 
ethically, protecting the environment and supporting the communities 
in which it does business. For more information: www.motorola.com.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040322005302&newsLang=en

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/