Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Money earmarked for communications equipment

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:12:26 -0500

Money earmarked for communications equipment
By BETTY JESPERSEN
Staff Writer

FARMINGTON -- Part of a $45,127 grant from the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security awarded to the town of Farmington will be used to
replace outdated communications equipment and establish a common radio
frequently so town departments can respond better and faster to
emergencies, the fire chief told selectmen Tuesday.

"We need a common emergency radio frequency to use during floods and
storms. Right now, we do not have have a one-channel radio where we can
talk to each other in an emergency," Chief Terry Bell said.

About $15,780 of the grant will be used to buy 36 new Motorola pagers, a
base radio, and other equipment, which would relieve the town from
having to repair old ones or replace broken ones for the next few years.
The remainder of the grant could be put toward the cost of a
"rapid-response" vehicle to be shared by police and fire departments and
that would be equipped with the latest radio equipment.

Bell said the town will find out in the next few months if it will be in
line to get one of five such rigs being purchased by the state using
federal homeland security funds.

Deputy Fire Chief Tim Hardy, who is also the county's newly hired
emergency management director, told the board that the communications
problem was highlighted during last year's flooding and severe snow
storms, where the fire department could not communicate directly with
the highway department rather than through the existing fire and police
channels.
He said with the new equipment, in an emergency, "we could get hold of
everyone," he said.

In other matters Tuesday, the board met with State Senator Chandler
Woodcock, R-Farmington, and State Representative Janet Mills,
D-Farmington, to discuss the proposals being presented by both parties
on controlling government spending, reducing the tax burden, and
providing property tax relief.
Betty Jespersen
[email-masked]

http://www.centralmaine.com/news/local/442486.shtml
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/