Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CTIA Wireless 2004 In Brief

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:53:53 -0500

CTIA Wireless 2004 In Brief
BY SUSAN RUSH
MARCH 23, 2004

Day 2: CTIA Wireless 2004 in Atlanta is playing host to the wireless
industry this week. As the wireless industry's largest show of the year
kicks off its second day, the show is in full swing. Here's a glimpse at
what's being unveiled at the show.  Click Here for complete show
coverage.

Siemens Mobile unveiled three new mobile phone models CX66, C66 and
CF62/CF63. The triband phones will be commercially available in the
North American market. The CX66 (GSM 850/1800/1900) offers an extensive
multimedia package, with more than 11 megabytes of memory for games,
MMS, self-recorded video clips and pictures. The C66 (GSM 850/1800/1900)
sports an integrated camera, MMS functions and a wide variety of games.
The CF62 (GSM 900/1800/1900) is the first clamshell mobile phone from
Siemens for the North American market.

Nokia and AT&T Wireless are showcasing the Nokia 6820 messaging phone,
an all-in-one device that has a full alphanumeric, folding keyboard, a
built-in camera, MMS capabilities and Bluetooth connectivity for
optimized messaging. The Nokia 6820 comes pre-configured with an e-mail
application for access to mMode Mail, and supports XHTML browsing for
access to online mMode content and Java technology for downloading new
applications. The handset is available exclusively through AT&T Wireless
for $349.99, before rebates.

SMS.ac announced it is offering premium services, along with premium SMS
billing to consumers in the United States. Customers who register free
of charge at SMS.ac's Web site will be allowed to send up to eight free,
peer-to-peer messages per day.

PacketVideo, a supplier of embedded multimedia solutions for mobile
phones and other devices, has joined the Gracenote Preferred Partner
Program and will integrate Gracenote's suite of music management
services into its embedded multimedia software solutions for mobile
phones. The Gracenote Music Management System is a digital music
platform that provides audiophile functionality for users of mobile
devices.  Tatara Systems announced its SIM-based authentication, roaming
and service delivery solutions for both aggregators and GSM operators
have been proven in a real-world environment. The company demonstrated
the end-to-end authentication of a SIM-based user on a Wi-Fi network
across VeriSign's SS7 backbone network, in conjunction with an unnamed
U.S.-based GSM operator, which supplied access to its production home
location register to further test the service, Tatara says.

Nortel Networks is demonstrating its latest CDMA Base Transceiver
Station (BTS), the Compact Metro Cell, a flexible, scalable and
power-efficient third-generation base station. The BTS is designed to
reduce operational expenses.

Compact Metro Cell has 'pay as you grow' flexibility and modular design,
ensuring maximum investment protection for wireless operators, Nortel
says. Compact Metro Cell will be capable of supporting CDMAOne, CDMA2000
1X and CDMA2000 1xEV-DO in the same shelf and will have the ability to
grow from one to nine carriers in the same footprint.  Research In
Motion announced its BlackBerry e-mail device is now being used by more
than 100,000 U.S. government personnel. BlackBerry Wireless Handhelds
have been awarded the FIPS 140-2 security validation by the U.S.
Government's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), an
often mandatory purchasing criterion for many government organizations,
which use the devices to enhance operations, productivity and
responsiveness, RIM says.

Excel Switching has outlined momentum with its application developer
partners in bringing high-margin services to the wireless market like
messaging, personal ring back tones and missed call alerts. Excel's
Intelligent Network wireless protocol support is designed to ease the
deployment of wireless applications across SS7, SIP and wireless
protocol signaling.

724 Solutions announced the expansion of its X-treme Alerts Platform
(XAP) to accommodate the increasingly popular Really Simple Syndication
(RSS) data format. XAP's new RSS capability helps mobile network
operators monetize the growing RSS-based blogging movement by offering
personalized premium services that notify subscribers of new posts to
favorite blogs, 724 Solutions says.

Evolving Systems is showcasing a new suite of products and services
designed to lower costs and increase operational efficiencies for
wireless number portability applications. The ServiceXpress Port
Facilitator is a flexible, browser-based application that offers
centralized monitoring, identification and troubleshooting that permits
rapid resolution of failed or stalled ports. The NumberManager Light
product offers carriers an alternative to service bureaus and is
specifically targeted to mid-market customers. The LNP Outsourcing
Services offering supports all aspects of the LNP process, including
those required for regulatory compliance, production and maintenance
support, integration testing and user training.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=03/23/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/