Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Amendment of Part 11 of the Commission’s Rules--Regarding the Emergency Alert System RM 10619

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:54:21 -0500

Before the
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of
Amendment of Part 11 of the Commission’s Rules  EB Docket No. 04-51
Regarding the Emergency Alert System   RM 10619

NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING

Adopted:  March 4, 2004   Released:  March 12, 2004

Comment Date:  30 days after Federal Register publication of this Notice

Reply Comment Date:  45 days after Federal Register publication of this
Notice

By the Commission:

I.  INTRODUCTION

1. In this Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM), we propose to adopt
revisions to the Part 11 rules governing the Emergency Alert System
(EAS)  that will allow wireless cable television systems to provide EAS
alerts to their subscribers in a more efficient and less burdensome
manner.  This proposal, set forth in a petition for rulemaking filed by
the Wireless Cable Association International, Inc. (WCA),  requests
changes to our rules to allow wireless cable system operators to “force
tune” subscriber equipment to a system channel dedicated to EAS alerts
and messages in lieu of providing an EAS decoder for each and every
system channel.

II. BACKGROUND

2. In 1997, the Commission adopted rules requiring cable system
operators to carry EAS messages on all program channels of a cable
system.  By that same action and at the request of WCA, the Commission
included wireless cable systems in this requirement.   The EAS affords
national, state and local authorities the capability to provide
emergency communications and information to the general public via
broadcast stations, cable systems and wireless cable systems.
Participation in national EAS alerts is mandatory for broadcast
stations, cable systems and wireless cable systems.   These entities
participate in state and local area EAS plans on a voluntary basis.
Cable systems with 10,000 or more subscribers were required to install
EAS equipment by December 31, 1998.  Cable systems with fewer than
10,000 subscribers and wireless cable systems were required to install
EAS equipment by October 1, 2002.  The Enforcement Bureau, in response
to waiver requests, temporarily waived this deadline for qualifying
wireless cable systems pending the outcome of this proceeding.

3. WCA filed its petition for rulemaking on October 31, 2002.  The
Commission staff issued a public notice announcing the filing of WCA’s
petition on December 18, 2002.   Comments were filed by the WCA and
separately by REC Networks (“REC”).  The WCA comments provide
clarification of its original proposal.  The REC comments endorse the
WCA proposal without making any new requests or suggesting modification
of the WCA proposal.  WCA requests that digital wireless cable systems,
upon receipt of an EAS alert or message, be allowed to use “force tune”
technology to switch subscribers from any programmed channel to a
specific system channel that will carry EAS messages.  WCA represents
that modification of the rules to allow use of this technology will
provide EAS notices to subscribers while relieving system operators of
substantial financial burdens.

 http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-46A1.doc
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/