Subject: [NEXTEL-1] LAWMAKERS CIRCULATE LETTER URGING BUSH TO SUPPORT POWELL's `TRIENNIAL REVIEW' STANCE

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:35:35 -0500

LAWMAKERS CIRCULATE LETTER URGING BUSH TO SUPPORT POWELL's `TRIENNIAL
REVIEW' STANCE

A letter circulating on Capitol Hill urges President Bush to support
FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell and to refrain from seeking review
of the recent U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit decision
overturning the unbundled network element platform (UNE-P)
provisions of the  Commission's "triennial review" order and upholding
its provisions
exempting broadband network facilities from unbundling.  The letter
has been signed by 123 lawmakers.

"We applaud the appeals court's decision to affirm the FCC on
virtually all the broadband issues contained in the triennial review
order," the letter states.  "The court's affirmation is a tremendous
victory for American consumers.  The court also correctly observed
that the [1996 Telecommunications] Act is not a theoretical exercise in
mandating the widest possible unbundling of local telephone networks
at the lowest possible prizes."

The court noted that the Act's purpose is to stimulate competition, the
letter says.  "Thus, the court made it clear that the FCC should not
impose the costs of unbundling where competitors already have access
to the necessary inputs at rates that allow them to compete
effectively," it says.  "We believe this decision rightly calls on the
FCC to end artificial competition and allow true facilities-based
competition to flourish.

"We firmly believe that the decision by the appeals court is
fundamentally sound, and we urge you to support the position taken by
FCC Chairman Michael Powell:  The court's March 2 decision should
not be appealed further and the FCC should `expeditiously get to work
to produce a set of judicially sound rules, once and for all,'" the
letter states.  "It is important for you to encourage the FCC to
implement the
Act as intended by Congress.  This will promote jobs, real
competition, and aggressive investment in our nation's economy." -
Brian Hammond, [email-masked]

http://www.tr.com/online/trd/2004/td031504/index.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/