Subject: [NEXTEL-1] UTC says ‘Balanced Approach Plan’ is the way to solve 800 MHz interference

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:19:54 -0500

UTC says ‘Balanced Approach Plan’ is the way to solve 800 MHz
interference
By Heather Forsgren Weaver
March 02 13:18:00, 2004

WASHINGTON—Just as public safety confirmed its support for the Consensus
Plan, the United Telecom Council, a major proponent of the Balanced
Approach Plan, confirmed that it believes this plan will solve the
interference problems in the 800 MHz band.

“Nextel’s statements about the commercial mobile radio services
industry’s fight against the Consensus Plan are an amazing attempt at
distraction. The only party spending ‘millions of dollars’ in this
effort is Nextel itself, and its interference is what’s threatening the
lives, not only of public-safety personnel, but those of utility linemen
and others who rely on 800 MHz band systems for their safety,” said UTC
President Bill Moroney.

And so the battle in the press for the hearts and minds of the Federal
Communications Commission continues.
Public safety began experiencing interference more than two years ago as
more cellular-type systems were deployed.  The FCC's Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau is drafting a solution to be presented to the
commissioners in the coming weeks with a decision expected in April,
said WTB Chief John Muleta Feb. 23.

Public-safety groups told Congress late last month that the interference
is “significant and increasing.” Earlier this year, the same groups sent
a letter to the White House.

Late last month, 23 members of the House Commerce Committee sent a
letter to the FCC urging it to reject the Consensus Plan. The
signatories represent a cross-section of the country and the House
Commerce Committee, but the letter was not signed by any of the House
Commerce Committee leadership and still represents less than half of the
opinion of the members of the committee from both parties.

Meanwhile, Verizon Wireless, which has been very vocal in its
displeasure of giving Nextel Communications Inc. any spectrum at 1.9
GHz, said the FCC should reband at 800 MHz and make Nextel pay for the
process without giving Nextel any more spectrum. The argument for
rebanding the 800 MHz band without including the 1.9 GHz band is not
new, said Verizon Wireless, reminding the FCC that several parties had
suggested "In-Band Realignment" as a contrast to the Consensus Plan in
2002.

Nextel was quick to respond to all of the shots from Verizon calling
Verizon’s actions, “bullying tactics.”
The Consensus Plan would shuffle the 800 MHz band to eliminate the
current situation where public safety, private wireless, Nextel and
cellular carriers are intermingled. Nextel has said that it would pay
$850 million for the necessary retuning of public-safety and
private-wireless radios. Nextel said it would deposit $100 million in an
escrow account and secure irrevocable lines of credit for the remaining
$750 million.

In exchange for giving up spectrum in the 700, 800 and 900 MHz bands and
for paying to retune public safety and private wireless, Nextel has
asked for 10 megahertz in the 1.9 GHz band.

RCR Wireless News first reported Oct. 27 that FCC staff is contemplating
a proposal that would give Nextel no more than 6 megahertz of spectrum
in the 1.9 GHz band.

The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association and UTC favor the
Balanced Approach Plan, which calls for timely resolution of current
interference at the expense of the interferor, coupled with technical
rules, notification and coordination procedures to prevent new
interference.

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17138

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/