Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Wireless Seeking Own Internet Name Structure- TLD

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:44:19 -0500

Wireless Seeking Own Internet Name Structure
BY BRAD SMITH
MARCH 10, 2004

Mobile Internet sites of the future likely will have their own domain
names, much like the .com and .net names everyone is used to for the
wired Internet. Nine companies spanning the mobile, computing and
Internet worlds announced plans today to create a new naming structure
just for mobile sites.

The nine companies plan to submit their proposal next Monday to the
International Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). If the
plan is approved, which could take six months, a new registry company
will be set up to handle the mobile naming structure and sell the names.
What the naming structure will be hasn't been decided, but it falls
under the general heading of a "mobile Top Level Domain" and could turn
out to be ".mobile" or something else.  Domains could wind up being
something like "yourcompany.mobile."

The initial investors in the effort include three carriers -- 3, Orange
and Vodafone, plus the GSM Association, HP, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung
Electronics and Sun Microsystems. Pertti Korhonen, senior vice president
and CTO of Nokia, said other companies are being invited to join the
initiative. The registry company will be set up in Ireland with a small
staff and will be a for-profit company. Korhonen said having a separate
naming structure for mobile domains will let users know that the site
they are going to has been optimized and is intended for use on a mobile
device and network. It also will make wireless-optimized sites easier to
find.

"The creation of a mobile Top Level Domain would allow consumers to
access the Internet in very different mobility scenarios, whether the
access is provided by mobile operator, Internet service provider or
various gateway devices at home or enterprise," Korhonen said in a
statement.

Brian Arbogast, vice president of Microsoft's MSN Communications
Platform, said the initiative would bring together Internet technologies
scaled for mobile usage, providing "the ease of use and efficiency that
will significantly fuel mobile Internet usage." Assuming ICANN approves
the initiative, Alan Harper, Vodafone's group strategy director, said
the first mobile domains likely would be issued in the second half of
2005. Domain names will be sold to corporations as well as individuals.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=03/10/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/