Subject: [NEXTEL-1] EFJohnson Announces First Sale of its Trunked Netelligent Infrastructure Systems Project 25 Solution

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:37:48 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For investor relations information, contact:
Massoud Safavi, 202-833-7752, email: [email-masked]

For trade press information:
Kevin Nolan, (202) 772-5441, email: [email-masked]

EFJohnson Announces First Sale of its Trunked Netelligent Infrastructure
Systems Project 25 Solution

Government Customer Upgrades from Conventional to Trunking System
Washington, DC March 8, 2004 –EFJ, Inc. (NASDAQ: EFJI) announced today
that its EFJohnson subsidiary has contracted to upgrade a government
customer from its Netelligent™ Infrastructure Systems conventional
system to a trunking system. The sale is the company’s first for its
Project 25 trunking system.

“We are pleased that this customer has chosen to upgrade its
conventional system to our trunking solution,” said Michael E. Jalbert,
chairman and chief executive officer of EFJ, Inc. “The customer has been
using our Netelligent conventional system for the past nine months, and
this demonstrates that our system has a graceful migration path from
conventional to trunking.”

“The customer is mandated to move to narrowband by the end of 2004, and
wanted to be on Project 25” said Bill Holesworth, president of Business
Radio, Inc., the prime contractor for the system. “The customer has been
operating the EFJohnson conventional system for nine months, and their
solution provides the customer with a network that is easy to upgrade.”
Business Radio has provided service to the customer for eight years, and
has been associated with EFJohnson since 1979. Due to the sensitive
nature of the customer’s deployment, Holesworth said, the customer asked
not to be identified.

The sale includes EFJohnson’s Netelligent Infrastructure System as well
as the company’s portable and mobile radios. The Netelligent
Infrastructure System provides a flexible, cost-effective solution for
both conventional and trunked systems. It delivers a complete Project 25
compliant solution that provides scalability, expandability, and a
graceful migration from analog to digital systems and to future Project
25 enhancements. Using industry-standard VoIP technology, Netelligent
Infrastructure Systems provide a secure, reliable communications
infrastructure.

EFJohnson provides digital Project 25 compliant interoperable wireless
communications systems solutions for federal, state and local agencies
involved with homeland security and public safety. EFJohnson, founded in
1923, was one of the first developers of wireless communications
products to be fully compliant with federal government interoperability
specifications. The company designs, manufactures, and markets
conventional and trunked radio systems, land mobile radio repeaters and
mobile and portable radios. For more information, visit
www.efjohnson.com.

EFJ, Inc. is the holding company of industry-leading wireless
telecommunications equipment and solutions businesses. EFJ, Inc. is home
to the EFJohnson Company, one of the first developers of Project 25
mobile communications products compliant with federal government
interoperability standards, and Transcrypt International, a leader in
secure voice communication solutions. EFJ, Inc. has a team in place with
experience in telecommunications and government sales. EFJohnson and
Transcrypt International are wholly owned subsidiaries of EFJ, Inc. For
more information, visit www.efji.com.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Rick Parrish <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:26:28 -0600

Good morning!

Here's the relevant piece of the EFJ press release that Marcel posted 
earlier:

>nature of the customer’s deployment, Holesworth said, the customer asked
Business Radio, Inc. appears to be this company: http://www.bizrad.com/ 
so most likely the customer is in Washington or Oregon. Anyone seen any 
new public safety P25 systems around Seattle or Portland in the last 12 
months? Folks on this list may recall Business Radio is listed as one of 
the supporters of the Consensus Plan backed by Nextel.

http://www.theiacp.org/div_sec_com/committees/Comm_Tech/800MHzConsensusFactSheet-1.pdf 

http://www.consensusplan.org/

Here's my question for companies like Business Radio that back this plan:

Did they warn their 800 mhz customers (such as the unnamed goverment 
client in the EFJ press release) of any future system upgrades/expenses 
as a result of this plan?

Is this a conflict of interest between the contractor and the government 
agency/client ?

-rick

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links