Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sheriff's Office to get new vehicle

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:43:50 -0500

Durango Herald, CO - Feb 18, 2004

Sheriff's Office to get new vehicle

By Dale Rodebaugh
Herald Staff Writer

The La Plata County Sheriff's Office will soon be getting a new
motorhome, but it won't be for roadtrips and cookouts.
The vehicle will become the front-line replacement for the "Silver
Bullet," the old Airstream trailer used as a mobile command post by La
Plata County law-enforcement officers in emergencies.

"We've needed a new tactical van for five or six years," said Dick
Mullen, the emergency management coordinator at the Sheriff's Office.
"We had to upgrade to handle an expanding population."

The county received $87,000 - part of a $1.44 million regional grant
from the Office of Homeland Security - to buy the van. The county
purchasing department received three bids from potential suppliers, for
$80,000, 87,600 and $113,904. The highest bid contained added options.

Durango police also received $87,000 for a mobile command post, and the
Durango Fire & Rescue Authority got $230,000 for its emergency command
vehicle. Neither has sought bids.

The mobile headquarters will allow emergency dispatchers to concentrate
on their regular duties during special events or situations, Mullen
said.

The new motorhome will have room for eight people and three radio
positions, Mullen said. Radio operators will be able to communicate with
UHF, VHF, ham operators, aircraft and two-meter band radios.

Although it's being shunted aside by the flashy new motor home, the
Silver Bullet will be pressed into service from time to time.
Mark Quick, training chief at the Durango Fire & Rescue Authority, said
the $1.44 million Homeland Security grant will buy equipment for
emergency teams in five counties and the two Ute Indian tribes.

Most of the federal money will be spent on self-contained breathing
apparatus for firefighters, Quick said. Vehicles dispatched to structure
fires will be equipped with the breathing apparatus, he said. They won't
be used at wildfires.
The Homeland Security money also will pay for communication equipment -
radio hand sets and a state-of-the-art console for Cortez dispatchers,
Quick said.

Durango Fire & Rescue Authority officials plan to seek money from 2004
Homeland Security grants to fund satellite- communication upgrades to
its mobile command unit, Quick said. Current equipment is being funded
from 2003 grants, he said.
The regional grant team included Tom Breed, chief financial officer for
Durango Fire & Rescue Authority; Jim Spratlen, from the Durango police;
Frank Cavalier, from the Cortez Fire Protection District; and Julie
Thibodeau and Danni Lorrigan, from the San Juan Basin Health Department.

http://durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=news&article_path=/news/04/news040218_3.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/