Subject: [NEXTEL-1] The Whole Plane Can Hear You Now

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:50:15 -0500

The Whole Plane Can Hear You Now
By Carlo Longino, Tue Mar 02 22:15:00 GMT 2004

Verizon Wireless subscribers can now have calls forwarded from their
mobiles to the in-seat phones on a number of US airlines.

The carrier and the Airfone unit of its parent said today that Verizon
Wireless users can now "log on" to the in-flight phones with their
wireless number, a PIN, and their seat number, and then calls to their
mobile will be rerouted to the phone in the airplane.Calls are charged
directly to user's mobile bill, and cost a fraction of standard Airfone
rates, which start at $4 per call and $4 per minute. Verizon Wireless
subscribers can make and receive calls for 69 cents per minute, or for
10 cents per minute with a $10 monthly fee.Frequent fliers are
constantly grumbling about the fact that they can't use mobile phones on
planes, so this could prove a powerful differentiator to attract new
high-value business customers for Verizon. The carrier also recently
launched a push-to-talk service to rival Nextel's, further evidence of
both its targeting business and corporate users as well as its emphasis
on developing new voice revenues.While the discounted rates don't apply
to data calls (which are possible with the Airfone system), users can
also access the JetConnect data service for $10 per month, rather than
$5.99 per flight. JetConnect periodically syncs content between a server
on the plane and the Internet, offering users access to news, stocks,
sports and weather, but also instant messaging and for an additional
charge, e-mail.

http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=100431&ref=-1

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/