Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Powell on Internet service, media rules

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:15:35 -0500

Saturday, March 6, 2004 12:00AM EST
Powell on Internet service, media rules

By JONATHAN B. COX, Staff Writer

In an hourlong session Friday, Michael Powell, the chairman of the
Federal Communications Commission, answered questions from News &
Observer reporters and editors as well as some submitted by readers.
Below are the edited highlights:

Q. The FCC last year
enacted controversial
changes to media
ownership rules.
Where is that debate
headed?

A. I think there will be a little bit more noise and action in Congress,
but I think they've probably done what they're going to do. I think the
court case is the next thing. This thing could go all the way to the
Supreme Court. ... The Supreme Court hasn't spoken to media ownership in
decades, and that's the big reason regulation is kind of a mess right
now.  We've kind of lost our moorings.

I, to this day, maintain that the rule-making we did was absolutely
consistent with the law and was well-done. Do I regret the controversy?
Yes. But I don't think the substantive decisions are off at all.

Q. What are your thoughts about the impact of technology changes on
employment?

A. I have a lot of strong views about that. I'll start with being really
flip. Very popular today is the very understandable anxiety about the
outsourcing of white-collar software jobs to India. That's a legitimate
thing to be concerned about. I want to say, "Why aren't we outsourcing
to Appalachia or the Mississippi Delta?" There's only one reason: We
haven't got the infrastructure there to do it. We should.

I don't think there's anything super-special about other places. Part of
it is a cheap labor issue, but that is, I think, overstated as the
compelling thing. It's that education systems in other parts of the
world are dedicating much more effort to computer literacy, technology
capability ... and graduating substantially more young adults who are
prepared to work in the information economy. ... The United States right
now is 11th in broadband [deployment]. It should be first. That's a
problem.

Q. A court ruling this week called into question rules that let
companies such as MCI lease gear from big rivals including BellSouth to
sell local-telephone service. Is that type of competition dead?

A. I think it will go away ultimately just because technology will take
it away. It isn't going to be the best way to offer competitive
services. Is it going to go away as a matter of law and policy? No. Is
it going to be probably more restricted than it is today? Yes. ...
Consumers don't want you to bug them at dinnertime just to sell them a
look-alike service that costs the same and really has no difference
other than your bill will be a different color. ... All you're doing is
selling the Bell's stuff over again. ... I question whether we're
spending an enormous amount of money, energy and resources on something
that really isn't the key to our future anyway.

Q. Amateur radio operators worry that electric companies will interfere
with their signals if allowed to deploy high-speed Internet services
over power lines. What do you say to them?

A. We've never said we would let it go on and interfere with critical
services. The question is whether it does, and to what extent, and what
limits can be placed to make sure it doesn't. We've been fully committed
to only allowing things within the range of what we're convinced won't
create impermissible interference. ...

Let's say this works, broadband over power lines. Then every person in
every building has broadband because of the electrification of this
country. There is a plug everywhere.  ... We're not going to be easily
dissuaded from doing something that has that much potential.

http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/3394894p-3018584c.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/