Subject: [NEXTEL-1] OnStar ASKS FCC TO REVISIT E911 RULES

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:38:32 -0500

OnStar ASKS FCC TO REVISIT E911 RULES

OnStar Corp. has asked the FCC to revisit its decision to require
resellers of wireless services to transmit enhanced "911" (E911) calls
through text telephone (TTY) devices beginning April 12.

In a petition for reconsideration filed Friday in Common Carrier
docket 94-102, the company said the mandate "was procedurally
flawed because the adopting order did not provide any rationale for
applying the TTY requirement to resellers and does not reflect sound
public policy as it relates to providers of vehicle-based calling
services."

OnStar said that "given the complexity of the safety and technical
feasibility issues involved, the Commission should exempt CMRS
[commercial mobile radio service] resellers of vehicle-based calling
services from the TTY compatibility obligation, or at a minimum,
provide for a reasonable transition period before compliance is
required."

OnStar also suggested that the Commission could clarify that OnStar's
deployment of a TTY-compatible device "is not `readily achievable' at
this time."  The order OnStar is asking the Commission to reconsider
was adopted last November and extends its E911 rules to certain
telematics providers and wireless service resellers. - Paul Kirby,
[email-masked]

http://www.tr.com/online/trd/2004/td031504/index.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/