Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Chairman Powell: A Case of 'That Was Then ... This Is Now'

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:41:10 -0500

Chairman Powell: A Case of 'That Was Then ... This Is Now'

Sometimes history can be a good barometer for predicting future events.
Sometimes. Not all the time. Case
in point: Consider the matter of FCC Chairman Michael Powell's recent
past. Based on his history, is it
possible that Powell could have a change of heart with respect to his
current opposition to a policy that would
empower state regulators to determine the level of telecom competition
within their respective jurisdictions?

While Powell now adamantly resists such a notion, his views did not
always reflect that sentiment. In fact,
before Powell ascended to the FCC's chairmanship, he was an outspoken
advocate for state's rights --
particularly in matters concerning local exchange competition.

The chairman's past views on this issue are reflected in statements like
the following:

"By using a broad national approach based on highly disputed
generalities, I still fear that the
Commission has failed to pay adequate attention to the Court's
instruction that we assess the
availability of elements outside the incumbent's network, including
self-provisioning. A preferable
option would have been to provide some time-limited ability for state
commissions that perceive
their markets are different to remove elements from the national list,
based on a showing consistent
with this decision and our existing rules." -- Then Commissioner Michael
Powell, dissenting in
part, FCC 99-238, CC Docket No. 96-98, Sept. 19, 1999.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/