Subject: [NEXTEL-1] So I run into Bumbling Barry at the CTIA, and let me tell you...

From: sparkie_rf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:08:05 -0000

Actually I was at the Flarion booth, one of the few with any real
action, talking with flarion folks about their trials, etc. It just so
happens that a couple of investment bankers are with me, and we start
talking about handsets, etc.

Well in turns out that bumbling Barry, who is a dead ringer for
George's father on the Seinfeld show, is behind us and quickly puts an
end to the conversation. Some of his lackies want the third degree,
who are you, who do you work for, your questions were not welcomed, etc.

So I'm wondering just what the heck is Barry doing trolling the
Flarion booth???

I guess I shouldn't go back tomorrow. Don't know if you are at the
show Marcel, but its pretty much a yawn so far. If I go back, I make
sure to catch the fashion show in the back corner. Wireless geeks,
alcohol and 2nd rate models is always a good time.

One thing that's interesting is that backend folks are getting quite
an earful from MVNO's on the design of their systems. The Lucent folks
were really sucking up to the VirginMobile crew, and some of the other
players didn't strike me as very sharp.

PS. Marcel, I heard that Nextel is going to bundle in FRMS, the
unlicensed walkie-talkie stuff, is this true. Barry didn't seem to be
in the mood for questions when I meet him. Quite a cranky bastard
actually.

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 03:44:47 -0500

It's 3am and I just got in from one of the many "Hospitality" parties.
Nextel-1 shared a suite with Wireless Insider magazine, and boy did we have
some fun tonight! The iDEN boys were out in full force! They got into it
with a few guys from from VZ that I invited.  It was like Cats and Dogs. It
all started when a VZ guy said iDEN was the Bas***d child of GSM that nobody
wanted but Nextel. It got worse from there......

I had a long talk with one of the major iDEN creators and Patent holders who
revealed the Poop on the strangle hold that Nextel has on Motorola.  He
called Timmy arrogant, brash, offensive (and those are the things that are
fit to print). Years ago Timmy tried to steal him from Motorola because they
wanted to dump Bubbling Barry West, well the deal feel through when Moto
found out and threatened Timmy with a lawsuit. He had some very interesting
technical  data that I will relate them later when I can find my notes.

CTIA ............A Place with a thousand stories.

See Below-

sparkie_rf wrote:

> George's father on the Seinfeld show,

hahahaha! I thought George's Father looked better!

> is behind us and quickly puts an

I guess to control the info flow.

> unlicensed walkie-talkie stuff, is this true.

Sorta of - ISM 900 Mhz that is what I heard.
You could be right.

> Barry didn't seem to be

It figures......... I will be around tomorrow come find me!

(Just look for the swarm of Nextel Engineers following me around
Asking "Who is this Cat? And just who does he think he is?")

Tomorrow night Moto Hospitality Suite. (I think it's in the Omni).

P.S. I spoke to a few people at IWCE and the were mad because CTIA stole
their thunder.
(DUH?? Who was the genius that decided to try compete with the biggest
Cellular/PCS in the world)

IWCE got virtully no press. Maybe tommorrow will be better. Every headline I
saw was CTIA this CTIA that.................
Gota go where the money is.

---

From: "Todd Ellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 06:13:44 -0500

This is a great commentary.  I would have almost paid to have been a fly on
the wall!

Quote of the year (thus far): " I guess I shouldn't go back tomorrow. Don't
know if you are at the show Marcel, but its pretty much a yawn so far. If I
go back, I make sure to catch the fashion show in the back corner. Wireless
geeks, alcohol and 2nd rate models is always a good time."

-----Original Message-----
From: sparkie_rf [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 11:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] So I run into Bumbling Barry at the CTIA, and let me
tell you...

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:36:08 -0000

At least Barry stayed "In character"! 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links