Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ericsson Press Releases- Wireless Industry Leaders Conduct First Joint Push-to-Talk over Cellular (PoC) Interoperability Tests

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:02:33 -0500

Ericsson Press Releases

Wireless Industry Leaders Conduct First Joint Push-to-Talk over Cellular
(PoC) Interoperability Tests

Date: Tuesday, March 16 2004

Ericsson, Motorola, Siemens and Sony Ericsson plan Interoperable
Products & Solutions for Q2 2004. Ericsson, Motorola, and Siemens
announced today the first joint interoperability tests for
Push-to-Talk over Cellular (PoC) technology. The tests are designed
to help provide network operators with easy integration,
interoperability and a competitive environment in which to deploy
commercial PoC service. For consumers, the testing helps ensure a
simple, seamless Push-to-Talk experience.

The PoC function enables mobile phones to be used like
walkie-talkies, providing communication at the touch of a button.
Already popular in North America, PoC is poised for growth in Europe
and in Asia - but interoperability is a key factor to such
broad-based acceptance.

The first technical standard specification for Push-to-Talk - PoC
Phase One - was submitted to the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) in August
2003. Ericsson, Motorola, Siemens and Sony Ericsson are promoting a
final version of the PoC standard through the OMA.

Today, the industry leaders take the next step by successfully
starting joint interoperability tests to help speed delivery of
compatible PoC solutions to network operators. The first
interoperable products and solutions are expected to be introduced in
Q2 2004. Other manufacturers are encouraged to join the
interoperability tests to help ensure compatibility between devices
and PoC servers across vendors.

About Push-to-Talk over Cellular service
Push-to-Talk over Cellular is similar to a walkie-talkie experience;
it is a means of quick one-to-one or group communication. Instead of
dialing a number to start a conversation, with one push of a button
you simply go to a "buddy list" and select the person you want to
contact. Push the button again, talk, and your voice is heard by the
 recipient.
You can also create group calls so everyone on your buddy list can
hear your message simultaneously - just as in a telephone conference.
Instead of having to SMS or call each recipient individually, a push
of the key is all it takes to send a message directly to an entire
circle of friends or work colleagues, for example.
For network operators, PoC opens up a whole new realm of voice
services, as it significantly enhances telephone service. Experience
has proven that consumers with PoC features on their phone tend to
become more engaged with their handset potentially providing mobile
operators with a new source of revenue - potentially a high return
from existing infrastructure at a relatively low risk.
And, PoC service fits a variety of markets - from consumers who want
quick communication to small, medium and large enterprises that need
frequent intermediate contacts.

About PoC Phase One Specification
The PoC Phase One Specification was developed by leading wireless
vendors to ensure an interoperable Push-to-Talk solution over
standard cellular networks. The specification is intended to help
drive rapid uptake of PoC by enabling a simple, seamless Push-to-Talk
experience for end-users.
The Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) is further enhancing this
specification based on wider industry feedback. Multiple vendors are
developing products according to the existing PoC specification.
The ongoing work in OMA indicates that some new functionality will be
added in the future, for example the Network-to-Network Interface
(NNI) that enables inter-operator communication.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
 Ericsson
Eva Sparr, Communications
Phone: +46 8 719 57 50, +46 8 719 69 92
Email: [email-masked]

 Motorola
Sharen Santoski, Mobiles Stephanie Forrest, Infrastructure
Phone: +1.617.252.9662 Phone: +44 7739 884452

Siemens mobile
Axel Schafmeister
Phone: +49 89 636 51675, +49 170 63 29 546
Email: [email-masked]

Sony Ericsson
Sony Ericsson Corporate Communications
Phone: +44 (0) 208 762 5858
Email: [email-masked]

About Ericsson
Ericsson is shaping the future of Mobile and Broadband Internet
communications through its continuous technology leadership.
Providing innovative solutions in more than 140 countries, Ericsson
is helping to create the most powerful communication companies in the
 world.

About Motorola
Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) is a global leader in wireless, broadband
and automotive communications technologies that help make life
smarter, safer, simpler, synchronized and fun. Sales in 2003 were
$27.1 billion. Motorola creates innovative technological solutions
that benefit people at home, at work and on the move. The company
also is a progressive corporate citizen dedicated to operating
ethically, protecting the environment and supporting the communities
in which it does business. For more information: www.motorola.com.

About Siemens mobile:
The Siemens Information and Communication Mobile Group (Siemens
mobile) is one of the world's leading full-line suppliers in the
field of mobile communication, offering mobile phones, cordless
phones, wireless modules and mobile infrastructure, as well as all
radio and switching modules, consulting services and systems
integration. The mobile communication arm of Siemens AG markets
products and services in more than 120 countries, generating sales of
€ 10 billion with a workforce of some 26,900 people in
fiscal 2003 (September 30). Siemens mobile is the world market leader
in prepaid solutions and digital cordless phones. More:
 www.siemens-mobile.com/press

About Sony Ericsson
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB offers mobile communications
products for people who appreciate the possibilities of powerful
technology. Established in 2001 by Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson
and Sony Corporation, the joint venture continues to build on the
success of its two innovative parent companies. Sony Ericsson creates
value for its operator customers by bringing new ways of using
multimedia communications while mobile. The company's management is
based in London, and has 4,000 employees across the globe working on
research, development, design, sales, marketing, distribution and
 support.

For further information, please visit: www.SonyEricsson.com

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/