Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cell phones again topic of Sayre Borough discussion

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:51:17 -0500

Cell phones again topic of Sayre Borough discussion

By WARREN HOWELER -- Evening Times Reporter

SAYRE -- Cell phones were once again the topic of discussion among
members of the Sayre Borough Council as the issue was brought up during
the board's recent meeting.

At that session, Councilman John Stetz -- who has brought up the issue
of cell phones within the borough at the past two meetings -- asked the
council to discontinue the Nextel cell phone which is currently located
within the municipality's administrative office.

Stetz stated that since the phone in the administrative office is used
mostly for its two-way capabilities, he suggested by the borough
purchase a two-way radio to replace the Nextel phone, thereby
eliminating the monthly fee.
"I feel that that is redundant in the continuing use of that phone," he
said.

Stetz then called for the council to bring the issue up for a vote,
noting that he would "live by whatever decision you (the board) makes."

"My opinion, John, about that is I think it is inappropriate to call for
a vote over a phone that I don't have all the information on and I
really don't feel that I want to take a vote on something that I don't
even know -- I mean, I understand what you're talking about, but I don't
have the information," Councilwoman Suzanne Keir said to Stetz. "I
haven't talked to (Borough Secretary Jo Ann Daly and Borough Treasurer
Liz Fice). I don't know what they use it for. I don't know what the
ramifications are if we lose that (phone) and I don't feel comfortable
calling a vote tonight (during the meeting)."

Keir said she would rather Stetz attend the next meeting of the
administration committee -- which she chairs -- and discuss the issue
with the committee.

People using the Nextel cell phones can reach anyone else in the borough
who has a Nextel phone, said Councilman Denny Thomas, which means that
Stetz's suggestion would call for the borough purchasing a walkie-talkie
for everyone within the municipality who has a Nextel phone.

"You just can't buy two," he said. "You'd have to buy one for everybody
in the borough that would need it.

"So my question to you is this, John," Thomas continued, "I want you to
come back at the next meeting and tell us what you want to do, have the
costs for us -- you're the one talking about the costs, you're the one
that's got the problem with it -- find out the solution, tell us what
you want to do, put it on the table and we'll vote on it."

Stetz reiterated his earlier comment that he wants the borough to
discontinue the use of the Nextel cell phone located within the
municipality's administrative office.

"Until you can give me another compromise and the money, I will not vote
on it," Thomas stated.
The borough is charged a flat fee of $14.81 a month for the Nextel cell
phone in the administrative offices, which entitles the municipality to
50 minutes a month of two-way connection, said Borough Manager David
Jarrett.

The next meeting of the Sayre Borough Council will be at 7 p.m. April 26
at the borough hall on West Packer Avenue. The public is invited to
attend.

Warren Howeler can be reached at [email-masked]

http://www.eveningtimes.com/articles/2004/03/29/news/news3.txt
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/