Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Homeland Security Taps Mobile, Fixed Satellite Services

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:58:56 -0500

Homeland Security Taps Mobile, Fixed Satellite Services
Feb 25, 2004

Stratos Global Corp. [SGB] in Bethesda, Md., provides a range of mobile
and fixed satellite communications packages for U.S. and Canadian
homeland-security agencies and first-responders. The most recent
addition to the Stratos line-up is DirecWay broadband satellite service
offered through a partnership with Germantown, Md.- based Hughes Network
Systems (HNS), a company right in its own neighborhood.

Part of the homeland-security initiative is making sure that, in the
event of an emergency, there is an independent backup network in place
that ensures continuity of communications. DirecWay can be used to
supplement and backup existing terrestrial networks.

Stratos also offers mobile satellite services using Inmarsat, Iridium
and Globalstar satellites. Stratos offers government customers
briefcase-sized portable satellite terminals or terminals mounted on
trucks and maritime vessels.

Stratos says its mobile-satellite services are ideal for
first-responders. The Inmarsat terminals are the size of a laptop
computer and, as long as they have a view of the sky, the
first-responders can communicate, regardless of what has happened to the
terrestrial infrastructure. DirecWay provides Stratos' government
customers with high-speed connectivity in remote areas where such
terrestrial options as DSL and cable broadband are unavailable or are
cost-prohibitive. DirecWay also complements existing land-based and
satellite networks by providing a facilities-independent backup solution
for continuity of operations, for homeland security and for emergency
communications as well as a platform for multicast content distribution.

"Stratos' presence in the government sector makes it a valuable partner
for Hughes Network Systems," said Emil Regard, vice president of
marketing for the North American division at HNS. Added Jim Parm,
Stratos' president and CEO, "DirecWay complements Stratos' existing
product and service offerings by providing a high-quality,
cost-effective alternative to terrestrial networks for broadband
connectivity in fixed locations."

>>Jim Parm, 301/214-8800; Emil Regard, 301/428-5500<<

TelecomWeb
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/