Subject: [NEXTEL-1] cellular shut down to prevent bomb triggering

From: "Rik Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:49:01 -0500

A guest on Fox News this morning was talking about a terrorism protection
workshop that is offered in Israel.

He mentioned that in Israel, they frequently will shut off the cellular
systems immediately after a terrorist bombing to prevent cell phones from
being used as triggers for secondary bombs designed to harm First
Responders.

If true, obviously, the Public Safety people are not relying on those
carriers for communications.

Anyone know if U.S. government has ability to do same here?

Rik Rasmussen
Two Way Radio Directory
http://twowayradiodirectory.com

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: Jack Daniel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:39:55 -0800

I doubt there is any similar plan here for many reasons, including lack
of foresight and the much larger geographic area.

It may prove to be in the public interest to NOT have cellular coverage
in some buildings and subways, like the public train that passes under
the Pentagon.

I suggest a proactive approach to prevent cell phones being used as
remote bomb triggers:

All newly issued numbers are automatically dialed at randon intervals
for four times a day for the first month, then 1 -2 times a day for the
remainder of the first 6 months. ALL cellphone numbers would be sent
random calls at least once a week thereafter.

It'll be a pain in the butt to get these 'wrong numbers' but imagine the
bombers anxiety. ha ha

=======================================================

> http://twowayradiodirectory.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "Dave Warren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:04:15 -0700

> Anyone know if U.S. government has ability to do same here?

Secret service is rumoured to use jammers for protection.

-- 
Dave Warren,
 Email/MSN MSG:  [email-masked]
 Cell: (403) 371-3470   Toll free: (888) 371-3470
 ICQ: 17848192  AIM: devilspgd  Yahoo!: devilspgd

 
Yahoo! Groups Links