Subject: [NEXTEL-1] EADS TELECOM North America Briefs Safecom on Improving Interoperability in Public Safety Communications

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 02:53:06 -0500

March 03, 2004 10:34 AM US Eastern Timezone

EADS TELECOM North America Briefs Safecom on Improving Interoperability
in Public Safety Communications

DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 3, 2004--
 Improving interoperability means adopting the right standards across
all agencies

Officials from EADS TELECOM North America's Public Safety division are
urging the Department of Homeland Security to support the development
and drive the adoption of an open, IP-compatible network interface that
would allow various public safety organizations to communicate with each
other over disparate radio systems, greatly improving public safety
response during an emergency.

Speaking during a private briefing for the SAFECOM Program committee in
Washington D.C., EADS TELECOM stated that an interface based on a set of
standard protocols, adopted by users and manufacturers, would allow
interoperability of disparate radio systems over an IP-based backbone
network.

The SAFECOM Program is a part of the Department of Homeland Security and
was established by the Office of Management and Budget and approved by
the President's Management Council to address public safety
communications issues.
EADS TELECOM has become one of the leading corporate drivers of the
evolution of the Project 25 (P25) radio interoperability standard, an
industry-wide effort to set recommended, voluntary standards of uniform,
digital, two-way radio technology for public safety organizations. As
part of this effort they have also been heavily involved in the proposed
standardization of inter system interfaces based on IP.

"EADS TELECOM is excited to present to SAFECOM. We're very active in
contributing to the formulation of public safety communications policy
in the U.S. and have much to offer in regards to improving our nation's
wireless infrastructure," said Peter MacLaren, president of public
safety for EADS TELECOM North America. "We understand that IP-compatible
network interfaces alone do not guarantee interoperability. There needs
to be a standard set of messages and protocols whose adoption is driven
by users and embraced by vendors.

"That's why we're glad to have this opportunity to share our perspective
with SAFECOM, representing one of the leading user groups in the country
- the Department of Homeland Security. To improve interoperability, you
not only need the right standards, but in addition it is critical that
the user community takes the lead with programs to demonstrate the
benefits, and then demand adoption of these standards by their vendors."

EADS TELECOM has proposed a cooperative, IP-based architecture that is
fully interoperable with other systems, using a standard P25
Inter-SubSystem Interface (ISSI). This solution is scaleable and easily
integrated into regional infrastructures.
For more information about EADS TELECOM North America's involvement in
P25 standards activities, visit www.eadstelecom-na.com, and go to the
Public Safety/Transportation Solutions section to download the white
paper "A Cooperative Systems Architecture for Interoperability Using the
Proposed Phase-2 P25 Standard, Interconnected Networks and Common
Interface Standards."

About EADS TELECOM North America, Inc.

Headquartered in Dallas, EADS TELECOM North America is a systems
integrator of communications solutions for public safety, and is the
leading innovator on P25 Phase II standards for digital radio systems.
EADS TELECOM North America and its European strategic counterpart, EADS
TELECOM, support customers and systems in more than 80 countries. EADS
TELECOM North America Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of EADS North
America Inc. For more information, visit us on the Web at
www.eadstelecom-na.com.
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/