Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nokia goes it alone on push-to-talk

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:23:23 -0500

Nokia goes it alone on push-to-talk
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/36316.html
--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
17 March 2004
Updated: 10:34 GMT

Register Services

The Register Mobile

Register ISP

Reg Jobsearch

Reg Merchandise

Bookstore

Mobile, Wireless, PDA Store

Reg Reader Studies

Research Store

Events & Training

Sections

Front Page

Software

Enterprise Systems

Servers

Storage

Personal Hardware

Semiconductors

Internet

Security

Virus News

Business

Data Networking

Bootnotes

This Week's Headlines

Wireless - Operators

Wireless - Mobile Devices

Wireless - WLAN

Wireless - Mobile Data

Broadband

The Mac Channel

Channel Flannel

Small Business

Reviews

Science

BOFH

Letters

Site News

Contact us

Advertise

The Reg Newsletter

Enter your email address here for our daily news update

Privacy Policy

Get the Reg Screensaver

Reg RSS Feed

Join the Reg SETI group

Join Reg Cancerbusters

Nokia goes it alone on push-to-talk

By electricnews.net

Posted: 17/03/2004 at 10:33 GMT

The Register Mobile: Find out what the fuss is about. Take the two week trial today.

An interoperability battle is looming within the mobile phone industry over technical standards for walkie-talkie-like technology. The dispute over push-to-talk (PTT) technology has emerged in the run up to the CeBIT 2004.

Ericsson, Motorola, and Siemens have all announced the first joint interoperability tests for push-to-talk technology. It is hoped that the tests will provide network operators with an easy integration, interoperability and a competitive environment in which to deploy commercial PTT services.

Meanwhile, Finnish mobile giant Nokia has said that its own new PTT infrastructure solution would in fact also enable operators to use manufacturers' push-to-talk terminals.

Instead of dialling a number to start a conversation, PTT users select someone from their buddy list, push a button on the handset and speak, in order for their voice to be instantly heard by the recipient. Like a walkie-talkie, push-to-talk is uni-directional, so callers cannot talk over each other and must wait for their turn to speak. The technology is already being used in the US, mainly by Nextel.

The first specification for PTT, called Push-to-talk over Cellular (PoC) Phase One, was developed by wireless industry players to ensure an interoperable standard mobile networks that will help drive rapid uptake of PTT.

The specification also allows for a standard network software upgrade path to the upcoming Open Mobile Alliance standard for the technology. Ericsson, Motorola, Siemens and Sony Ericsson are promoting a final version of the PoC standard through the OMA.

For network operators, PTT enhances telephone service and may potentially provide mobile operators with new sources of revenue from existing infrastructure at a relatively low risk.

Siemens is to show its first PTT-enabled phone at this week's CeBIT. Nokia's 5140 will be commercially available during the second quarter of this year and is to feature includes a digital compass, flashlight, radio and a built-in VGA camera.

© ElectricNews.Net

You bestride the midfield of IT like a colossus - Jobsite
Free MS cert training for London companies
Verio VPSv2 - Win VIP UEFA EURO 2004 tickets!
Managed hosting with TDM - keep your servers secure
All the latest gadgets in The Reg Mobile, Wireless & PDA Store
Rackspace, the first host to offer Red Hat Enterprise, exclusive offer!
O'Really? Well, yes actually. See the full range at Cash'n'Carrion