Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cheaper alternatives available to statewide radio

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:26:14 -0500

Grand Island Independent, NE
Published Saturday, February 21, 2004
Cheaper alternatives available to statewide radio

Last modified at 12:35 a.m. on Saturday,
February 21, 2004

I write in response to a recent editorial published in the Independent
on Feb.  19. The editorial stated "State radio system needed." I can
hardly disagree with the headline; however I really think that we need
to make certain we consider all our options. We must also make certain
we have a solid factual basis.

Law enforcement across the state over the past 20 years, by far and
above the majority, have moved to high-band frequencies for purposes of
communication. The Hall County Sheriff's Office broadcasts on a 400
megahertz frequency, which is considered high band.

In addition we have the capability and do communicate directly with the
Grand Island Police Department, Buffalo County Sheriff's Office, Kearney
Police Department, Adams County Sheriff's Office, Hastings Police
Department, Hamilton County Sheriff's Office, Grand Island Fire
Department, Wood River Rural Fire, Grand Island Rural Fire, Alda Fire
Department, and the Doniphan Volunteer Fire and QRT.

In addition with slight modification to each unit we can program in
additional frequencies (in excess of 100) as needed for purposes of
communicating.

The reason we can communicate with all of the listed agencies is that
they also have moved to high-band frequencies. Most high-band radios
today have the ability to program whatever you want into them. So it
takes programming and a handshake from the licensed holder of the
frequency to be in compliance with FCC regulations.

Before I get a cramp in the middle of my back attempting to pat myself
for such a wonderful feat, I believe it was Grand Island Police Chief
Gene Watson, Sheriff Emmett Arnett and Hall County Emergency Manager
Howard Maxon amongst others who initiated interagency communications
several years back.

It is true, that there are radio systems still being used that are
antiquated and outdated.
The State Patrol and a few other agencies across the state have not made
the move to high band, this is where the breakdown occurs. For instance,
we cannot communicate via radio with Howard County or Merrick County
either.
However the State Patrol has updated some of their portable radios and
do have the ability to communicate on high-band frequencies. So we do
communicate locally with the State Patrol if the need arises.

I am also in support of the State Patrol's system being updated to
current technologies. If there is any agency that needs the new
technology, it is our State Patrol.

Many agencies across this state have had the vision to recognize this
issue and addressed it locally and regionally. Thus effective
communication is occurring. I am concerned that the pictured painted to
everyone is that we are totally unable to communicate, and it is far
from factual.

Do not get me wrong, I am in support of enhancement of our communication
systems statewide. If price was of no concern and someone could wave a
magic wand and a system would suddenly appear, it would be the greatest
thing since the invention of the snowplow, however at what cost to the
taxpayer?

The State of Colorado has a communication system that is partially
complete and they are struggling to find ways to complete the project.
Don't think we want to go there.

In Nebraska LB1176 would create estimated revenues of $8 million dollars
annually. This would undoubtedly support the estimated $100 million
dollars it will cost today to build the infrastructure for the system.
($100 million is the figure given at the SCAN meeting.)

Please also keep in mind one thing, that locally each agency will have
to eventually have to replace equipment at a much higher cost than we
pay for our current systems to become a part of this statewide system.
Example: currently we pay $ 950 for a new portable radio; under the new
system we will be paying an estimated $1,500 to $3,000 per radio. Car
radios currently cost $ 1,100 each. Under the new statewide system they
will cost an estimate $1,500 to $5,000 each. (Estimated new prices come
from the SCAN board during the Grand Island meeting.) Hall County
taxpayers will be asked to foot the bill on these increases.

Additionally we were advised at the SCAN meeting that a user fee would
be administered to those who choose to use the statewide system. The
SCAN board would not commit to any figure at the meeting but did say
they would have to keep it low.
However, rumored figures spoken of in my profession range from $40 to
$60 per month per vehicle. At a minimum this would cost county taxpayers
an additional $14,000 per year just for the Sheriff's Office to be on
the system. In my opinion, you will have the majority of law enforcement
agencies not using this system because of the additional expenses.

Does it not make sense in these economically-strapped times that we look
at more efficient ways to get the job completed? Will the estimated $100
million accomplish something that may be accomplished at a much cheaper
rate by simply updating radio systems across the state so we can
communicate regionally?

 http://www.theindependent.com/stories/022104/opi_other21.shtml

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/