Subject: [NEXTEL-1] ABERNATHY SAYS SHE'S OPEN TO NEXTEL's USE OF 1.9 GHz BAND

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 05:30:20 -0500

ABERNATHY SAYS SHE'S OPEN TO NEXTEL's USE OF 1.9 GHz BAND

FCC Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy today said that although
she'd rather see the 800 megahertz band realigned without involving
other frequencies, that might not be possible.  As a result, she said,
she
hasn't "foreclosed" on the idea of granting Nextel Communications,
Inc., 1.9 gigahertz band spectrum that it seeks under a "consensus"
plan.

A draft order that began circulating among Commissioners last week
calls for a realignment of the 800 MHz band and for Nextel to receive
the 1.9 GHz band spectrum, according to sources.  Nextel would be
responsible for picking up all of the relocation costs of public safety
and private wireless licensees and would have to pay the difference
between those costs and the value of the 1.9 GHz band spectrum, the
sources said.  Ms. Abernathy spoke with reporters today in her office.

Nextel's competitors say if the FCC decides to reband the 800 MHz
band frequencies, it shouldn't grant any 1.9 GHz band spectrum,
arguing that to do so would represent a windfall for Nextel.  They have
also supported a "balanced approach" that supports the use of technical
rule changes and the use of "best practices."

But in a letter to 23 House members earlier this week, FCC Chairman
Michael K. Powell said interference issues couldn't be resolved
without using frequencies from other bands because of the need for
"green space" - channels to house systems temporarily.  That's the
argument that has been advanced by backers of the consensus plan,
including Nextel, major public safety organizations, and some private
wireless operators.

In another development, the Consumer Federation of America and the
Media Access Project wrote Mr. Powell yesterday to express support
for the consensus plan.  "When the Commission assesses the public
interest benefits of the consensus plan, as required under the
Communications Act, it must take into account both the undeniable
public interest benefits of granting additional spectrum to public
safety as well as the value of the use of the 1.9 [GHz] spectrum," the
groups
said.

"The consensus plan balances the need to avoid unnecessary windfalls
to private parties with the value of providing interference-free
spectrum to those providing a critical public service and does so
without any direct or indirect cost to the taxpayer."  They added that
"alternative plans are flawed because they react to interference after
the fact." - Paul Kirby, [email-masked], and Margaret Boles,
[email-masked]

http://www.tr.com/online/trd/2004/td031804/index.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/