Subject: [NEXTEL-1] In the Matter of CLIFFORD S. ZIPNICK Application to Modify the Call Sign

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:41:32 -0000

Before the
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of CLIFFORD S. ZIPNICK  Application to Modify the Call 
Sign of Amateur Station KI4BSJ  	) ) ) ) )	  File No. 
0001403441 	

MEMORANDUM OPINION AND ORDER

  Adopted:  February 27, 
2004                                                           
Released:  March 4, 2004 

By the Chief, Public Safety and Critical Infrastructure Division, 
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau:

On August 1, 2003, the Licensing and Technical Analysis Branch 
(Branch) of the former Public Safety and Private Wireless Division 
granted the above-captioned application it received from the American 
Radio Relay League, Inc., Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (ARRL-VEC).  
This application requested, among other things, that the call sign 
assigned to the Amateur Radio Station of Clifford S. Zipnick 
(Zipnick) be changed to the next available sequentially assigned call 
sign assignable to Zipnick's station.  ARRL-VEC has informed us that 
Zipnick did not and does not want the call sign assigned to this 
station changed and that its request that we change the station's 
call sign was an error.  According to the ARRL-VEC, Zipnick requested 
that it file an application on his behalf only modifying his mailing 
address. To correct this error, we propose to modify Zipnick's 
amateur radio station license to show the call sign "KE4FGA", which 
also was the call sign assigned to Zipnick's amateur station prior to 
the grant of the captioned application.  
By way of background, we note that amateur station call signs are 
initially assigned to a station based on the licensee's class of 
operator license and mailing address.  We also note that generally, 
the Commission will not change the call sign assigned to an amateur 
station unless the station licensee specifically requests that a 
vanity call sign or another sequentially assigned call sign be 
assigned to the station.  However, in that the request to change the 
call sign assigned to Zipnick's station was an error, we propose to 
modify Zipnick's station license, currently showing a call sign 
as "KI4BSJ", to show the call sign "KE4FGA", which was the call sign 
previously assigned to Zipnick's amateur radio station. 
We believe that Section 316(a)(1) of the Communications Act of 1934, 
as amended (the Act), provides the appropriate vehicle for resolving 
this matter.  Section 316(a) permits the Commission to modify a 
station license if the action will promote the public interest, 
convenience, and necessity.  In this connection, we note that the 
proposed modification would serve the public interest by ensuring 
that call signs are changed only when requested by the licensee.  
In accordance with Section 97.27(b) of the Commission's Rules, we 
will not issue a modification order until Mr. Zipnick has received 
notice of our proposed action and has had an opportunity to file a 
protest.  To protest the modification, Zipnick must, within thirty 
days of the release date of this Memorandum Opinion and Order, submit 
a written statement with sufficient evidence to show that the 
modification would not be in the public interest.  The protest must 
be filed with the Office of the Secretary, Federal Communications 
Commission, 445 Twelfth Street, S.W., Room TW-A325, Washington, DC 
20554.  If no protest is filed, Zipnick will have waived his right to 
protest the modification and will be deemed to have consented to the 
modification.  
ACCORDINGLY, IT IS PROPOSED, pursuant to Sections 4(i) and 316 of the 
Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. §§ 154(i), 316, and 
Sections 1.87 and 97.27 of the Commission's Rules, 47 C.F.R. §§ 1.87, 
97.27, that the Amateur Radio Station license of Clifford S. Zipnick 
BE MODIFIED by changing the call sign from KI4BSJ to KE4FGA.  
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that this Memorandum Opinion and Order shall be 
served by certified mail, return receipt requested, to Clifford S. 
Zipnick, P.O. Box 742001, Boynton Beach, FL  33474.
This action is taken under delegated authority pursuant to Sections 
0.131 and 0.331 of the Commission's Rules, 47 C.F.R. §§ 0.131, 0.331.
FEDERAL COMMUNICATION COMMISSION

D'wana R. Terry                                                   
Chief, Pubic Safety and Critical Infrastructure Division 
Wireless Telecommunications Bureau        

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-04-593A1.doc

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/