Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Adapt4 unveils 'phantom' radio

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:34:00 -0000

Adapt4 unveils 'phantom' radio

  Glenn Bischoff

 IWCE/MRT, Mar 25 2004 

 LAS VEGAS-- Adapt4 introduced the Phantom Radio, a cognitive radio
that operates in the 217-220 MHz band under a nationwide
 FCC secondary user license, said Paul Greenis, Adapt4's president.
"It's a standard license, not an R&D license," Greenis said.
 Currently, only a fixed version of the radio is available, but
Greenis said a mobile version would be available before the end of the
 year. 

 The radio is data-only at this point, but Greenis said Adapt4 would
add a voice-over-IP capability "early in the fourth quarter,
 probably." Data throughputs currently are 40 kb/s, good enough to
provide frame video. The radio is targeted to the critical
 infrastructure and homeland security sectors as a security device.
"With a motion sensor and a camera, a public utility could capture
 an event and relay the information back to a command center over the
Phantom Radio," Greenis said, adding that Adapt4 anticipates
 data throughputs of 256 kb/s in the "next 18 months." 

 The radio uses "dynamic frequency selection" to avoid interfering
with primary license holders, Greenis said. "It's ideal for urban
 areas where there aren't a lot of channels," he said, adding that
the Phantom is "hack resistant and jam proof." As the radio moves
 continuously from channel to channel, a hub senses the movement and
downloads the intelligence the radio needs to operate over
 the airwaves. "It moves so quickly from channel to channel that you
can't listen in and you can't jam it. It's gone in the blink of an
 eye," Greenis said. Because of this capability, the radio also will
be targeted to the military, which has a significant desire and need
 to protect troop movements. "This will help protect soldiers in the
field," Greenis said.

http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_adapt_unveils_phantom/index.htm

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/