Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC staff shows good instincts in 800 MHz debate

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:48:25 -0500

MRT's Wavelengths
March 12, 2004 

FCC staff shows  good instincts in 800 MHz debate

Glenn Bischoff
March 12, 2004 

We all know that the Federal Communications Commission 
works too slowly. We also know that, all too often, the 
commission's decisions -- due to the political issues put upon 
it by special interest groups -- are analogous to splitting the 
baby in two, which in turn is tantamount to making no decision 
at all. 

Currently, the FCC is trying to figure out what to do about the
interference problems that plague the 800 MHz band and wreak havoc with
first-responder communications in many sections of the country.
According to several reports and sources, it appears that FCC staff has
recommended to the commissioners the framework of the Consensus Plan
initially proposed by Nextel and supported by major public-safety
organizations (see story below). The Balanced Approach Plan favored by
Nextel's competitors, the United Telecom Council and the Cellular
Telecommunications & Internet Association -- as well some public-safety
organizations that aren't facing interference problems right now or
whose current systems would be negatively impacted by rebanding --
appears to have lost. 

As I have written before, I'm not an RF engineer, so I can't say which
of the two plans offers the better solution. But, if the FCC
commissioners go with the staff recommendation and select the Consensus
Plan, it appears they will have a chance to address at least some of the
burning concerns raised by opponents. 

Recall that Nextel pledged $850 million to pay for the rebanding, while
opponents have said the final cost could be as high as $2 billion.
According to reports, the staff left the payment amount to be decided by
negotiations between the commissioners and Nextel. 

However, most observers believe Nextel will have to pay something
approaching market value for the spectrum it will receive in the 1.9 GHz
band as part of the deal. (At least one carrier -- Verizon Wireless --
has said it would be eager to participate in an auction for that
spectrum, which would drive up its value). 

Patrick Comack, an analyst for Guzman & Co., predicts Nextel will pay an
additional $1.5 billion on top of the $850 million it already has
pledged, bringing the total payment to about $2.4 billion, which should
be enough to pay for the rebanding. Of course, that's assuming that the
money will be earmarked for this purpose instead of being used to offset
federal budget problems. As we have seen on the state level with E911
funding, it is not unusual for lawmakers to try to get their hands on
whatever dollars they can. 

Again, I'm not taking sides vis a vis the two plans, but the FCC staff
definitely got it right by laying the foundation to make Nextel pay an
increased price to correct a problem the wireless carrier created --
albeit within the guidelines of its license. While it might not be a
perfect solution, it is far better than what I thought the FCC might
come up with. 

E-mail me at gbischoff @ primediabusiness.com 

http://enews.primediabusiness.com/enews/mobileradiotech/mrt_bulletin/current

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

---

From: "Joshua Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:14:34 -0700

Can I get a rundown or some links that point to info sources that explain
exactly why it's nextel's fault that this interfearance exists.  I'm no
agreeing or disagreeing with anyone or anything, but I keep hearing that
"it's Nextel's fault that the interfearance issue exists" and I would like
to understand why exactly that is.

Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Marcelrf" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; "WFHSG" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 4:48 PM
Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC staff shows good instincts in 800 MHz debate

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "mobiletogo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:15:46 -0000

Try reviewing the comments filed with the FCC in this matter:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/comsrch_v2.cgi

Enter "02-55" in the "Proceedings" field of the form that will
be displayed; then click on the "Retrieve Documents" link at the 
bottom of the page.  You can also search by the "Filed on Behalf of" 
field if you know the name of the submitter.

Do a Google search for 800 MHz interference - lots of stuff there.

Review the message archives and/or files and bookmark areas of this 
group, the Private Wireless Forum group, the 800interference group.

If you spend a little time at it, you'll find most everything you 
might want (or NOT want) to know about the issue.

Have fun.   

--- In [email-masked], "Joshua Miller" <jemiller@j...> 
wrote:
> From: "Marcelrf" <Marcelrf@B...>
http://enews.primediabusiness.com/enews/mobileradiotech/mrt_bulletin/c
urrent
> > Subscribe to Nextel-1: 
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1
> > Subscribe to Nextel2: 
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

 
Yahoo! Groups Links