Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Invitation: Will Unlicensed Spectrum Help the World Go Wireless? One-Day Conference, April 16, Washington DC

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:37:35 -0500

Invitation: Will Unlicensed Spectrum Help the World Go
Wireless? One-Day Conference, April 16, Washington DC

The New America Foundation
cordially invites you and your colleagues to a ONE-DAY CONFERENCE on
Unlicensed Spectrum:

PERVASIVE CONNECTIVITY:
HOW UNLICENSED SPECTRUM WILL HELP 
THE WORLD GO WIRELESS

Friday, April 16th * 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
National Guard Association of the United States
One Massachusetts Ave., NW (one block from Union Station)

Featuring Expert Panels with:

* Industry & Commercial Users of Unlicensed Spectrum
* WISPs & Broadband Equipment Manufacturers
* Community & Municipal Broadband Providers
* Policymakers & Telecom Economists

Agenda

*	8:30 Continental Breakfast
*	9:00 Keynote Address (TBA)
*	10:00 Panel: Industry Success with Unlicensed Spectrum
*	11:30 Panel: Municipal & Community Wireless Broadband Networks
*	12:45 Lunch: Speaker -- Eli Noam
*	1:45 Panel: The Economics of Unlicensed Spectrum
*	3:00 Debate: The Reallocation of Broadcast TV Bands to Broadband

This is a FREE EVENT, but space is limited! 
RSVP to Matt Barranca at
[email-masked] or 202-986-2700.

Speakers Include:

* Eli Noam, Columbia University
* Preston Marshall, DARPA
* William Lehr, MIT
* Patrick Leary, Alvarion
* Bill Krenik, Texas Instruments 
* Diane Cornell, CTIA
* Lev Gonick, OneCleveland.org
* Mayor Bill Graham, Scottsburg, IN
* Kenneth Carter, FCC
* Matt Rantanen, Southern California Tribal Digital Village
* Esme Vos, MuniWireless.com
* Sharon Eisner Gillett, MIT
* Hui Zhang, Carnegie Mellon University
* Gerald Faulhaber, Wharton School
* Kevin Werbach, Supernova Group
* Thomas Hazlett, Manhattan Institute
* Bill Gouse, American Trucking Associations
* Harold Feld, Media Access Project
* Jim Baller, The Baller Herbst Law Group
* J.H. Snider, New America Foundation
   and others...

What do hundreds of truck stops, thousands of public schools, millions
of residences and countless businesses have in common? They all rely on
a commonly owned, public resource to receive and distribute broadband
connectivity to citizens, employees, industry processes, and innumerable
future applications.  

The unlicensed spectrum bands are no longer the sole domain of radio
hobbyists -- nor are they the "junk bands" for scores of everyday,
consumer devices.  They are now the preferred spectrum of local
governments providing high-speed access to residents and public safety
agencies -- They are the chosen bands for local-area industry
applications (such as RFID in Wal-Mart's inventory management) -- They
are the only affordable option for many rural and underserved
communities in need of last-mile, broadband Internet access -- And, they
are the source of astounding innovations in a previously stagnant
telecom industry.  Not since the birth of the Internet has there been
such an explosion of entrepreneurial innovation.

So what are policymakers to learn from all of this innovation in the
air?  Should the lessons of unlicensed spectrum regulation (spectrum
sharing under low-power limits) be applied to the dead air bands held by
low-frequency Television incumbents? Should emerging intelligent radios
(laptops, PDAs, cell phones, and next-generation 802.x devices)
operating on the expanding edges of the wireless world be allowed to use
their smarts to manage and share bandwidth dynamically? Or should
last-century's technologies be granted rights to treat spectrum like
property and dole out access to citizens for a fee?  

Please join the New America Foundation for a lively series of panels and
presentations by unlicensed spectrum innovators, policymakers, and
spectrum policy stakeholders. 

Friday, 16 April 2004
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
National Guard Association of the United States
One Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/