Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nobody Understands Spectrum, Intel Says

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:41:43 -0500

Nobody Understands Spectrum, Intel Says
By Harry Yeates -- 3/3/2004
Electronics Weekly

The concept of spectrum is misunderstood and the way in
which it is currently allocated is inefficient, unnecessarily
 driving up the cost of implementing modern wireless communications.

So said Intel's Sean Maloney at the 3GSM congress last week.
"Nobody understands spectrum," he said. "It is not all equal."

Maloney, general manager of Intel's communication group,
bemoaned the fact that "1940s" technology dominates spectrum
below 1GHz, a region in which high performance radio systems
could be developed at lower cost.

Maloney said developing a communications system working at
5.8GHz costs 10 times more than one of similar capability operating
at 700MHz. "Technically, there is nothing to stop us deploying very
high speed wireless networks at very low cost," he said. "The
regulatory bodies need to persuade existing users to be more
efficient, or give up unused sections," he added. "Rather than wait
until 2010 or 2020 for people to clear out this spectrum,
governments could get that to happen sooner."

However, James Page, manager of radio regulations at Nokia U.K., told
Electronics Weekly: "The technology used below
1GHz has not stood still. GSM, Tetra, TV and radio are all developing
fast, even medium wave is going digital.

All largely thanks to a harmonized approach to standardization and band
planning from industry and regulators."

Page said he agreed that some organizations, whose main business isn't
radio, could manage with less spectrum than at present,
and that measures such as spectrum trading, license fees and technical
regulations all have a role to play. However, "a rise in
overall spectrum costs could be detrimental," he warned.  Electronics
Weekly is the London-based sister publication of
Electronic News.

http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA388144

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/