Subject: [NEXTEL-1] WiFi Alliance: More interop problems

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:27:41 -0500

WiFi Alliance says WLAN interoperability problems growing
The WiFi Alliance this week said that the number of interoperability
problems between WLAN networks and cards is growing. The association
said
that increased WLAN security and the growing complexity of 802.11
technologies is increasing the number of WLAN products that do not work
together. Increased security procedures, such as VPNs, and new security
protocols make it difficult for enterprise users and other security
conscious people to access older WLAN networks and free hotspots, which
often lack detailed security protocols. Also, newer WLAN equipment and
proprietary enhancements to WLAN gear make it difficult for users with
older
WLAN cards to access these newer networks. The WiFi Alliance said that
22
percent of WLAN devices -- such as networking cards, access points, and
printer servers -- submitted for testing at its four partner
laboratories
failed to work on a WLAN network on the first test.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040318/ap_on_hi_te/europ
e_tech_show_wi_fi_1

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/