Subject: [NEXTEL-1] InterWave Plans To Ship Out With AT&T Wireless

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:15:21 -0500

InterWave Plans To Ship Out With AT&T Wireless
BY SUSAN RUSH
MARCH 25, 2004

AT&T Wireless plans to use InterWave Communications' cellular systems to
power its recently announced service that will give cruise passengers
the option to make cell phone calls while vacationing on a cruise ship.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Earlier this month, AT&T Wireless announced a partnership with Maritime
Telecommunications Network to develop a service, which will enable
wireless phones to be used while at sea. The companies formed Wireless
Maritime Services, a joint venture, that will make use of both wireless
and satellite technology to power cell phone calls made by cruise
passengers.

To follow up that announcement, AT&T Wireless said it has turned to
InterWave for its scalable, compact wireless communications systems.
Specifically, InterWave's systems will be installed on the ships to
enable wireless calls placed on ships to be switched from cellular
traffic backhauled via compressed satellite technology to AT&T Wireless
land-based gateway switch. "The flexibility of our solutions will help
allow AT&T Wireless' venture to enter a new market by serving customers
who want to place or receive cell phone calls while on-board cruise
ships," InterWave president and CEO Erwin Leichtle says.
A firm launch date and pricing rates have yet to be revealed. At the
time of the initial announcement, however, an AT&T Wireless spokesman
said the hope is to get the service introduced later this year.

InterWave shares were surging this morning, up 13.4 percent to $4.40 as
of 10:49 a.m. EST. The company's stock closed yesterday at $3.88.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=3&pubdate=03/25/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/