Subject: [NEXTEL-1] HIP-HOP MUSIC PIONEER ADVISES WIRELESS INDUSTRY ON MARKETING

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:00:36 -0500

HIP-HOP MUSIC PIONEER ADVISES WIRELESS INDUSTRY ON MARKETING

3/23/04

ATLANTA - Russell Simmons, a pioneer of the hip-hop music
industry, delivered some advice to the wireless industry today on how
it can market its products and services to the "young, cool consumer."

During the keynote session at the Cellular Telecommunications &
Internet Association's show here, Mr. Simmons, chairman and chief
executive officer of Rush Communications and co-founder and
chairman of Def Jam Records, urged industry leaders to "listen to the
consumer."

Referring to youthful, hip consumers, he said, "When you speak to
them, speak their language and they will tell the rest of the world."
Mr. Simmons has been working with Motorola, Inc., on handsets that
will appeal to the hip-hop market.  He said today he was interested in
working with other wireless companies as well and wanted to develop
appealing content for wireless devices.

He stressed the importance of fashionable devices that are capable of
accessing the right content -  such as ring tones and other music and
video - are very functional and feature high network service quality.
He complained about providers that do a poor job of serving New
York City and Los Angeles, where most hip-hop artists live.  "Let's do
some work there," he said.  "Let's supply some of our resources
there."

Mr. Simmons said that the influence of hip-hop artists on their fans'
buying decisions shouldn't be underestimated, saying, "These guys
have been choosing your products and deciding which of your
products are good for a very long time."

Mr. Simmons was interviewed by Ralph Simon, a recording industry
veteran and chairman of the Mobile Entertainment Forum Americas.
"So much is riding on the development of rich, new media," Mr.
Simon said.

Also during the keynote session, Juno Cho, president of LG
InfoComm USA, and Edward Zander, chairman and chief executive
officer of Motorola, Inc., demonstrated new handsets that their
companies are rolling out that can serve as MP3 players, download
videos, and enable videoconferencing.  One of Mr. Cho's employees
conducted a home networking demonstration in which products such
as a refrigerator, air conditioner, and lamp were controlled by a
mobile phone. - Paul Kirby, [email-masked]

http://www.tr.com/online/trd/2004/td032304/index.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/