Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Globalstar to track driverless race

From: "marcel_rf1" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:33:59 -0000

Globalstar to track driverless race

March 04, 2004 12:54 PM EST

SAN JOSE, Calif.—Mobile satellite services company Globalstar has 
been chosen to provide real-time vehicle tracking for a driverless 
vehicle competition sponsored by the U.S. government's Defense 
Advance Research Projects Agency (DARPA) taking place this month in 
the Mojave Desert in California. 

For the DARPA Grand Challenge, 25 vehicles will attempt to navigate a 
250-mile desert course using computer-processing and navigation, 
without the help of a driver. Globalstar's satellite services will be 
used to provide real-time vehicle position information and voice 
communication for competition officials and control vehicles. 
Satellite service is ideal in the remote desert area, since 
conventional wireless and cellular communications networks do not 
exist there, according to Globalstar. 

"Globalstar's ability to provide dependable communications—no matter 
where these vehicles go—will play a key role in helping us conduct 
this event smoothly, while also providing up-to-the-minute 
competition progress reports to spectators and online observers," 
said Anthony Tether, director of DARPA

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17163

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/