Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Keeps Up Consensus Plan Fight

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:17:02 -0500

Nextel Keeps Up Consensus Plan Fight
BY SUSAN RUSH
MARCH 8, 2004

With federal regulators expected to make a decision soon on how to solve
the interference problems of the jumbled 800 MHz band, Nextel
Communications is turning up the heat on its opponents.

A company presentation refuting statements by its opponents is working
its way through the commissioners' offices this week. The week-long FCC
tour began on Friday at Commissioner Kathleen Abernathy's office. The
presentation is dubbed "Debunking the Windfall Myth," according to
Nextel spokesman Geoffrey Stearn.

The trip to the FCC comes on the heels of a call made by Verizon
Wireless last week for the FCC to auction off the spectrum in the 1.9
GHz band and a recent study being touted by Verizon Wireless that
contends Nextel's will receive a $7.2 billion windfall from the adoption
of the so-called Consensus Plan. Stearn contends those numbers are
flawed. "The highest bid the FCC ever received for 10 MHz of spectrum at
1.9 GHz was $3.3 billion back in 1999, which was never paid," he says.
Stearn goes on to say that the highest amount of money the FCC ever
received for such a chunk of spectrum at 1.9 GHz was $1 billion.

Nextel first introduced its Consensus Plan back in November 2001. If
adopted, public safety agencies would be moved from the 800 MHz band to
other frequencies to solve interference problems in the band. Nextel has
said the implementation of the plan will cost it $4.6 billion, and
according to research from Sun Fire Group, if Nextel receives the 10 MHz
of spectrum located at 1.9 GHz, it will be valued at around $3.5
billion.

CTIA, Verizon Wireless and Cingular Wireless have vehemently opposed
Nextel's plan.
It has been speculated that the FCC could make a decision in April
whether to adopt the plan. "We hope to see a decision within the next 60
days," Stearn says.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=5&pubdate=03/08/04

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/