Subject: [NEXTEL-1] W32.Beagle@mm Removal Tool

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:53:56 -0500

ALL:

IT seems that many OTHER Yahoo groups have be hit the  W32.Beagl Virus.
The Virus loves to Hi-Jack your E-mail address and send out its
malicious code to others.
Below is a quick removal tool for the W32.Beagle Virus.

I strongly recommend you run this tool then update your virus
protection.

Trail versions of AV are available from all the major vendors.

McAfee Security - Evaluation Software
 http://download.mcafee.com/eval/evaluate2.asp

Symantec's Norton AntiVirus™ 2004
http://nct.symantecstore.com/fulfill/0001.105

The Following has been a Public Service Announcement.
We now return you to our regularly scheduled program already in
progress..............

====================================================================

W32.Beagle@mm Removal Tool
Discovered on: January 19, 2004
Last Updated on: February 29, 2004 12:02:18 PM GMT

pf/[email-masked]/[email-masked]
Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool to clean
infections of the following Beagle variants:

W32.Beagle.A@mm
W32.Beagle.B@mm
W32.Beagle.C@mm
W32.Beagle.E@mm

What the tool does

The W32.Beagle@mm Removal Tool does the following:
1. Terminates the W32.Beagle@mm viral processes
2. Deletes the W32.Beagle@mm files
3. Deletes the registry values added by the worm

Available command-line switches for this tool

Switch
Description

/HELP, /H, /?
Displays the help message.

/NOFIXREG
Disables the registry repair (We do not recommend using this switch).

/SILENT, /S
Enables the silent mode.

/LOG=<path name>
Creates a log file where <path name> is the location in which to store
the tool's output. By default, this switch creates the log file,
FxBeagle.log, in the same folder from which the removal tool was
executed.

/MAPPED
Scans the mapped network drives (We do not recommend using this switch.
See the following Note).

/START
Forces the tool to immediately start scanning.

/EXCLUDE=<path>
Excludes the specified <path> from scanning (We do not recommend using
this switch. See the following Note).

/NOFILESCAN
Prevents scanning of the filesystem.

Note: Using the /MAPPED switch does not ensure the complete removal of
the virus on the remote computer, because:
The scanning of mapped drives scans only the mapped folders. This may
not include all the folders on the remote computer, which can lead to
missed detections.
If a viral file is detected on the mapped drive, the removal will fail
if a program on the remote computer uses this file.

Therefore, you should run the tool on every computer.

The /EXCLUDE switch will only work with one path, not multiple. An
alternative is the /NOFILESCAN switch followed by a manual scan with
AntiVirus. This will let the tool alter the registry. Then, scan the
computer with AntiVirus with current virus definitions. With these steps
you should be able to clean the file system.

Following is an example command line that can be used to exclude a
single drive:

>"C:\Documents and Settings\user1\Desktop\FxBeagle.exe" /EXCLUDE=M:\
/LOG=c:\FxBeagle.txt

Alternatively, the command line below will skip scanning the file
system, but will repair the modifications to the registry. You should
then run a regular scan of the system with proper exclusions:

>"C:\Documents and Settings\user1\Desktop\FxBeagle.exe" /NOSCANFILE
/LOG=c:\FxBeagle.txt

Notes:
The greater than symbol (>) is not part of the path.
The name of the log file can be what ever you choose. The name listed is
for the sole purpose of this example.

Obtaining and running the tool

Note: You must have administrative rights to run this tool on Windows NT
4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.

WARNING: For network administrators. If you are running MS Exchange 2000
Server, it is recommended that you exclude the M drive from the scan by
running the tool from a command line with the Exclude switch. Regardless
of whether you do this, before running the tool, back up all the data on
the M drive. For information on why this is necessary, read the
Microsoft Knowledge Base article "XADM: Calendar Items Disappear from
User's Folders" (Article 299046).

1. Download the FxBeagle.exe file from:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxBeagle.exe.

2. Save the file to a convenient location, such as your downloads folder
or the Windows desktop, or removable media known to be uninfected.

3. To check the authenticity of the digital signature, refer to the
"Digital signature" section later in this writeup.
4. Close all the running programs before running the tool.
5. If you are on a network or if you have a full-time connection to the
Internet, disconnect the computer from the network and the Internet.

6. If you are running Windows Me or XP, then disable System Restore.
Refer to the "System Restore option in Windows Me/XP" section later in
this writeup for further details.

Caution: If you are running Windows Me/XP, we strongly recommend that
you do not skip this step.
7. Double-click the FxBeagle.exe file to start the removal tool.
8. Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.
9. Restart the computer.
10. Run the removal tool again to ensure that the system is clean.
11. If you are running Windows Me/XP, then reenable System Restore.
12. Run LiveUpdate to make sure that you are using the most current
virus definitions.

Note: The removal procedure may not be successful if Windows Me/XP
System Restore is not disabled as previously directed, because Windows
prevents outside programs from modifying System Restore.

When the tool has finished running, you will see a message indicating
whether the computer was infected by W32.Beagle@mm. In the case of a
removal of the worm, the program displays the following results:
Total number of the scanned files
Number of deleted files
Number of repaired files
Number of terminated viral processes
Number of fixed registry entries

Digital signature
FxBeagle.exe is digitally signed. Symantec recommends that you use only
copies of FxBeagle.exe, which have been directly downloaded from the
Symantec Security Response Web site. To check the authenticity of the
digital signature, follow these steps:
1. Go to http://www.wmsoftware.com/free.htm.
2. Download and save the chktrust.exe file to the same folder in which
you saved FxBeagle.exe (for example, C:\Downloads).
3 Depending on your operating system, do one of the following:
Click Start, point to Programs, and then click MS-DOS Prompt.
Click Start, point to Programs, click Accessories, and then click
Command Prompt.
4. Change to the folder in which FxBeagle.exe and Chktrust.exe are
stored, and then type: chktrust -i FxBeagle.exe.

For example, if you saved the file to the C:\Downloads folder, you would
enter the following commands:

cd\
cd downloads
chktrust -i FxBeagle.exe

Press Enter after typing each command. If the digital signature is
valid, you will see the following:

"Do you want to install and run "FxBeagle.exe" signed on 02/29/2004
10:48 AM (GMT) and distributed by Symantec Corporation?"

Note
The date and time displayed in this dialog box will be adjusted to your
time zone, if your computer is not set to the Pacific time zone.
If you are using Daylight Saving time, the displayed time will be
exactly one hour earlier.
f this dialog box does not appear, there are two possible reasons:

The tool is not from Symantec: Unless you are sure that the tool is
legitimate and that you downloaded it from the legitimate Symantec Web
site, you should not run it.

The tool is from Symantec and is legitimate: However, your operating
system was previously instructed to always trust content from Symantec.
For information on this and on how to view the confirmation dialog
again, read the document, "How to restore the Publisher Authenticity
confirmation dialog box."

5. Click Yes to close the dialog box.

6. Type exit, and then press Enter. (This will close the MS-DOS
session.)

System Restore option in Windows Me/XP

Users of Windows Me and Windows XP should temporarily turn off System
Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default,
to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a
virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up
the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from
modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot
remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore
has the potential of restoring an infected file onto your computer, even
after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even
though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows
documentation, or one of the following articles:
"How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore"
"How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me
System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus
Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder," Article ID:
Q263455.

Revision History:
February 29, 2004: Updated removal tool to version 1.0.4 for
W32.Beagle.C@mm and W32.Beagle.E@mm.
February 17, 2004: Updated removal tool for W32.Beagle.B@mm.
January 21, 2004: Posted version 1.0.1. This version corrects a bug
which resulted in the removal of file attributes from scanned files.

January 20, 2004: Removed information regarding worm spreading via
network shares.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email-masked]

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG