Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC's Powell Defends Plan To Solve Nextel Interference

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:27:59 -0500

=DJ   FCC's Powell Defends Plan To Solve Nextel Interference 
(2004/03/17 5:05PM) 

By Mark Wigfield Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES 
 
WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--Federal Communications Commission Chairman 
Michael Powell defended the agency's efforts to eliminate 
interference to police and fire department radio systems caused by 
Nextel Communications Inc.'s (NXTL) wireless service. 

In a letter to Rep. Vito Fossella, R-N.Y., that was released by the 
congressman Wednesday, Powell tried to rebut assertions that a plan 
being considered by the FCC to abate interference would result in 
Nextel enjoying a windfall in valuable wireless spectrum. 

He also defended the FCC's ability to grant Nextel new spectrum in 
return for the company's help in fixing interference problems, 
rather than forcing it to pay for the airwaves in an auction. 

And he asserted the agency's right to resolve the long-standing 
issue soon, despite questions raised by Congress. 

"The commission's staff has worked for two years gathering comments 
and considering proposals to resolve this interference question," 
Powell said. "At this stage, the commission has an obligation to 
exercise its decision-making authority as an expert agency to create 
an equitable and optimum solution to this very important public 
safety issue."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/