Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Sysadmins suffering VoIP headaches

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:14:34 -0500

Sysadmins suffering VoIP headaches
By Robert Jaques
Posted: 03/03/2004 at 14:33 GMT
The Register Mobile: Find out what the fuss is about. Take the two week 
trial today.

Sysadmins will suffer from increasingly painful network management 
headaches as they struggle to cope with voice over IP (VoIP) roll-outs. 
They will have to deal with time-critical voice traffic clashing with
data 
for limited bandwidth across converged infrastructures.

After years of empty vendor hype, the voice-data convergence market is
only 
now ramping up with real world demand for telecoms network services set
to 
grow four per cent this year, according to IDC. This increase is driven 
mostly by the business uptake of VoIP, it says.

Piggy in the middle
but more installations means more problems for network managers. They
are 
must play piggy in the middle between a fast-increasing number of 
bandwidth-hungry applications, says Packeteer, a...network management
firm.

"Voice has always operated on a separate network so that it never had to 
contend for access with other applications," said Roger Hockaday,
marketing 
director for Packeteer, EMEA.

"As we move voice onto enterprise data networks it will start competing
for 
bandwidth just like any other application - this will especially be a 
problem at the choke point of the LAN/WAN interface."

Strained networks
Networks in many enterprises are already strained, with much bandwidth 
taken up by non-business critical applications such as music downloads,
web 
surfing and file sharing, according to Packeter

IP convergence may be the final straw, as voice places particularly
heavy 
demands on networks because of its strict real-time quality of service 
requirements.

"Users accept that applications sometimes run quickly and sometimes run 
slowly; they can even stomach that emails may arrive immediately but 
sometimes never at all. However, voice users are not so forgiving, their 
calls simply must get through," Hockaday 

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/35995.html

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/