Subject: [NEXTEL-1] (CDMA-Flavored) 3G's Chance to Shine

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:41:55 -0500

(CDMA-Flavored) 3G's Chance to Shine
By Erin Joyce
March 22, 2004

Europe had its 3GSM World Congress in February to showcase cutting edge
wireless networking advances with its dominant TDMA standard.

Now, it's CTIA Wireless 2004 conference's turn in Atlanta to showcase
how the United States and other global players are pushing 3G networking
with the competing CDMA standard -- and tackling the interoperability
with different wireless standards.

Although mobile entertainment device advances are expected to steal much
of the spotlight during the event that runs Monday through Wednesday,
developers will be in the limelight too. Look for CDMA technology,
including the CDMA 1xEV-DO data networking protocol, to be a primary
focus of many announcements at the show, participants said.

Verizon Wireless (Quote, Chart), currently the largest wireless carrier
in the U.S., is kicking off the news flow with an expansion announcement
regarding its 3G data service called BroadbandAccess, which is built on
CDMA 1xEVDO technology.

The service, which went national in its rollout in January after a
launch in Washington, D.C. and San Diego, already boasts data
transmission speeds of between 300 to 500 kilobits per second, with
bursts of up to 2 megabits per second.
In addition to speed, the company said the service is ideal for
downloading complex files, with the ability to download a 1MB email
attachment in less than 20 seconds.

Verizon claims GPRS (which is the standard used by T-Mobile) would take
nearly seven minutes to download the same file, and that the EDGE
standard, which is built on the competing GSM standard, would take about
a minute and a half for the same 1MB file download. However, in some
deployments, the faster version of the GSM standard has been hitting up
to 384 kilobits per second.

But Cingular Wireless, which won the bidding to acquire AT&T Wireless
(Quote, Chart) (and deploys the EDGE standard in its wireless data
network), is expected to ramp up its 3G network speed. Indeed, it has no
choice. AT&T Wireless is committed to rolling out 3G in four U.S.
markets by year-end and faces a $6 billion contractual penalty from its
investor NTT DoCoMo (Quote, Chart) if it does not.

Developers Take Center Stage

Steve Largent, CEO and president of CTIA, said education, development
and are always focal points of the show.
Rob Mesirow, vice president of conventions at CTIA, said because the
wireless market is so large and diverse, keeping one step ahead can be a
challenge. With that in mind, he said, the developers forums are
designed to inform, challenge, to break new ground.

For example, Qualcomm is offering 3G technical training sessions for
engineers and IT professionals and will cover CDMAU2000 1xEVDO key
concepts, as well as background on high speed, in-building repeaters,
network planning and UMTS/WCDMA network optimization. Developers will
also offer insights about how 3G UMTS networks are helping to advance
CDMA.

Sun Microsystems (Quote, Chart) is planning to address new approaches to
providing wireless payment technologies for carriers and third-party
content vendors, which has seen slow up-take in the North American
markets. Sun is working with wireless platform company Kabira on a
platform that helps wireless providers earn substantial return on
investment on micro-payments. The companies plan to announce new
features for the Kabira High-Volume Transaction Adapter (HVTA) for the
Sun Java Enterprise System (JavaES).

Cisco (Quote, Chart) is planning to discuss how the company is building
new 3G networking features like one that combines Lucent's Softswitch
with Cisco's MGX 8000 Series Media Gateways, which are designed to
deliver high-speed data, multimedia and VoIP services.

Industry experts and analysts expect the news announcements from the
show to show positive momentum for 3G overall. However, SG Cowen, in a
note to investors, said while "indicators for mobile handset and mobile
infrastructure markets [have] looked positive lately, on the 3G front,
datapoints are mixed and we remain cautious that mass market adoption
will be later than general expectations."

Scott McNealy, Chairman and CEO of Sun Microsystems, is to join Cisco's
President and CEO, John Chambers, for the first keynote address Monday.

Michael Powell, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, is
also delivering a keynote address.
Tuesday's keynote theme is built for the consumer and mobile
entertainment crowd, with Russell Simmons, a co-founder and chairman of
Def Jam Records, as well as chairman of Rush Communications, joining
Juno Cho, president of InfoComm for keynote addresses and
demonstrations. Also slated is Edward Zander, the former Sun president
who recently took the helm of Motorola as its chairman and CEO.

CTIA Wireless 2004 arrives amid consolidation among wireless carriers in
the U.S. with Cingular Wireless's successful bid to purchase AT&T
Wireless. Expect the state of the industry to come up on Wednesday as
senior management of all the major carriers take the stage for keynotes.
They include Timothy Donahue, president and CEO of Nextel
Communications, whose push-to-talk feature has become a new battle among
other carriers looking to provide similar services.

The Wednesday keynote will also feature Scott Ford, President & CEO of
ALLTEL; Len Lauer, President and COO Sprint Corporation; Stan Sigman,
President & CEO of Cingular Wireless; John Stanton Chairman T-Mobile USA
and Denny Strigl, President and CEO Verizon Wireless.

Expect lots of camera phones looking for snapshot moments, too.
Mobloggers (mobile bloggers) will be out in force at the show.
Organizers said attendees with camera-equipped mobile devices can record
photographs and video highlights of the show's people, products,
keynotes, parties and extracurricular activities. Participants can post
submissions wirelessly to an open mobile blogging site. The entries will
be on display here.

Wireless will hit the runways as a fashion statement as well with the
Fashion in Motion event showcasing wearable wireless and Internet
technology. Students from the Topological Media Lab at Georgia Tech will
display garments whose textures of sound and light dance to the wearer's
movement and gesture with the use of body-imaging and sensing
technologies. Another wearable gadget, Nokia's Alter Ego device, lets
users snap a picture and hang it around their necks with a wearable
display that allows the user to upload a color image. Motorola will be
showcasing a Bluetooth enabled helmet that takes always-on connections
to new heights.

http://www.internetnews.com/wireless/print.php/3328951

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/