Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Nextel Q-Chat Deal Doesn't Mean Squat-QUALCOMM and Tata Teleservices Announce BREWChat-PTT

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:40:27 -0500

Nextel Q-Chat Deal Doesn't Mean Squat
QUALCOMM and Tata Teleservices Announce
Plans to Offer Wireless Applications and
Services Via BREW(TM) and BREWChat
Solutions
Thursday March 18, 7:31 am ET

Tata Teleservices Plans to Introduce Push-to-Chat in India - the
Next Generation Mobile Service -

NEW DELHI, India, March 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- QUALCOMM
Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM - News), pioneer and world leader of Code
Division Multiple Access (CDMA) digital wireless technology, and Tata
Teleservices, India's leading telecom service, today announced that the
two companies have signed a non- binding memorandum of understanding
(MOU) to use QUALCOMM's BREWChat solution to offer push-to-chat
services. The two companies have also entered into a binding agreement
to launch wireless applications and services based on QUALCOMM's BREW
solution.

Tata Teleservices plans to use
QUALCOMM's BREWChat solution to
introduce push-to-chat,
next-generation telecom service, in
India. This popular service offers a
walkie talkie on a mobile phone and
is planned for launch by Tata
Teleservices in mid-2004. Tata
Teleservices intends to be one of the
first CDMA operators outside the
United States to launch push-to-chat
service. The MOU provides a
framework for Tata Teleservices to
roll out BREWChat-based services
for up to seven million users. The
BREWChat service is initially
planned to be introduced across
Tata Teleservices' existing eight
circles of operations, and to be
extended across 20 circles after
the company rolls out its service nationally.

The BREW agreement expands the availability of BREW-based services in
India and will enable Tata Teleservices' customers to download games,
ring tones, communication, e-mail and business focused applications as
well as location-based services over the air, virtually anytime,
anywhere. The BREW system also gives Tata Teleservices the ability to
differentiate its services with multimedia messaging services (MMS), Web
browsers and customized user interfaces (UI).

Built on QChat(TM) technology, the BREWChat solution enables person-to-
person and person-to-group communication between subscribers at the push
of a button. The BREWChat solution carries the same features of its root
QChat technology, but was specifically designed for CDMA2000 1X Release
0 networks. The BREWChat solution offers Tata Teleservices superior call
set-up performance, bandwidth savings and is designed to seamlessly
upgrade to and interoperate with the QChat service, which operates on
CDMA2000 1X Release A networks and provides even faster performance
capabilities.
"We are excited to work with QUALCOMM to deliver personalized access to
the latest wireless technologies and services," said Amit Bose,
president of Telecom, Tata Teleservices. "The BREW solution gives us a
flexible, turnkey system that integrates seamlessly into our existing
CDMA2000 1X network. We envisage that push-to-chat, which is a huge
success in the United States, will receive an overwhelming response here
in India, given the profile of our subscribers."

"We are proud to welcome Tata Teleservices as the newest member of our
worldwide operator community and thrilled with their plans to launch the
BREWChat solution," said Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, president of QUALCOMM
Wireless & Internet Group. "The decision to offer subscribers an
unmatched wireless experience with BREW-enabled services demonstrates
Tata Teleservices' continued leadership and commitment to customers.
The agreement with Tata Teleservices expands the deployment of
BREW-based applications in India, benefiting India's growing community
of software developers and wireless consumers."

Tata Teleservices plans to offer BREW-based services to their wireless
users in the six Indian states of Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Gujarat, Tamil
Nadu, Karnataka and Maharashtra. This service is also planned for 11
additional states in the next few months.
QUALCOMM's BREW system provides products and services that connect the
mobile marketplace value chain, which includes application developers,
publishers, content providers, device manufacturers, operators and
consumers.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/