Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Parishioners Debate St. Mary's Cell Tower

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:43:45 -0500

Parishioners Debate St. Mary's Cell Tower
BY ROBIN SMITH, Staff Writer

NEWPORT CITY, VT - The contract to put a cell tower in St. Mary of the
Sea Catholic Church's steeple drew bitterly divided parishioners to a
meeting Thursday night.

Over 100 people argued for hours at the Knights of Columbus hall below
the church, with three-quarters in favor of the cell tower.

Many of the vocal minority wore T-shirts stating: "Keep our virgin pure"
and "Can you hear me now?" They have threatened to leave the parish if
the cell tower goes in.

Maureen Fountain, a parishioner, said with sadness that the church's
centennial celebration is May 4, yet the only thing about St. Mary's in
the news is the cell tower.

"I have friends on both sides. This is awful," she said. She suggested
Verizon Wireless use a hill near the church instead. "What matters is
what's happening to this parish. Fifty dollars a day is all you are
getting for the turmoil, the division ... It breaks my heart."

Some of the minority opposed to the cell tower begged Verizon Wireless
representatives to rip up the contract.

They asked the same of the former pastor, the Rev. Leo Bilodeau, who
signed the contract for $18,000 annually with the approval of the
diocese and the parish council.

Richard Enright, director of engineering for Verizon Wireless in New
England, said he could not cancel the contract because it might set a
precedent.

Father Bilodeau said he would not have signed the contract if he had
known there would be so much conflict.

But he said he could not back out. "To back out on it I would have to
say I didn't sign it in good faith and good conscience. I did."

He said he had no expectation there would be opposition, with many
churches allowing cell towers in the steeples to help their communities.

He also laid some blame for the late-blooming controversy on
parishioners who weren't paying attention.

Father Bilodeau said Verizon approached the church for the cell tower. A
meeting was held before the signing, with the council believing
neighbors were alerted about it.

Opponents criticized him for not putting the information in the church
bulletin.

Some called the introduction of a cell tower a desecration of the
church. Others expressed concern about the type of radiation generated
by the cell tower and begged the council and diocese to back out of the
contract.

Supporters said the benefit to the community of better cell phone
service was a big value. Others said the money could be put to good use
by the church.

Clark Curtis, who has led the charge against the cell tower, said he
would leave the church if the tower goes through. He also said he would
fight it in court.

Jim Cunningham said his pregnant daughter is afraid to go into the
church once the tower is installed.

Parishioners were told the tower generates at ground level 5 percent of
the radiation allowed by the Federal Communications Commission, a
standard approved by the Environmental Protection Agency. But others
said that standard is still under scrutiny.

Maurice Pouliot said WIKE AM radio has had a tower on Farrant Street for
44 years with no problems.

Newport Country Club is about to allow a Nextel cell tower at the golf
course, said Pouliot, who is chairman of the golf club board.

Enright said zoning requirements make cell companies seek locations like
church steeples rather than sticking up bare towers all over the
landscape.

The controversy will come to a head next Thursday when the parish
council decides whether to ask the diocese to back out of the contract.

But the issue could first have an effect on the council membership, with
elections this Sunday.

Seven people are running for three positions on the council, including
Cunningham, who is opposed to the tower.

Those running publicly in favor are the council's current Chairman Mike
Marcotte and John Ward.

http://www.caledonianrecord.com/pages/local_news/story/722bb7898
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/