Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola Introduces New Astro®25 System Platform

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:51:45 -0500

Motorola Press Release

Motorola Introduces New Astro®25 System Platform

New Release Supports 
Integrated Voice and Data, and 
Increases System Scalability, Security and Functionality

Schaumburg, Ill.

19 March 2004 

Today, Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) announced the release of 
its latest Project 25 compliant system offering – ASTRO 25 
Trunked Integrated Voice and Data System. 

Shipping now, this system release features Integrated Voice and Data
(IV&D) capabilities, providing the public safety market with access to
both voice and data messaging from a single wireless communications
infrastructure. The new ASTRO 25 Trunking system improves communications
security by providing encryption key assignment over system radio
channels (Over the Air Re-keying) and enhanced network security tools.

The new ASTRO 25 system is part of Motorola’s extensive portfolio of
public safety and security solutions for mission-critical integrated
communications, information management, regional coordination and
incident command. Its enhanced system capabilities will allow public
safety users the opportunity to cost-effectively expand their
communications capabilities through packet network technology, improving
countywide, statewide and nationwide mission-critical system coverage
requirements. The ASTRO 25 Trunked system currently operates in the
700MHz for voice-only operation and 800 MHz, UHF and VHF frequency bands
for voice and data operation, supporting up to 7 zones and 20,000 data
users.

“This is an exciting new release that takes our proven packet-based
voice network and enhances the value to our customers by adding data
services on the same network infrastructure,” said Chuck Jackson,
Motorola Communications & Electronics, Inc. vice president and director,
Motorola Radio Systems. “System managers will appreciate the benefits of
our security tools and time-saving convenience of remote re-keying.”

The new system release was beta tested by the Phoenix/Mesa 800 MHz
system in conjunction with Federal government users in the Phoenix area
that operate on VHF frequencies. Combining the 800 MHz and VHF sites
enabled full-featured cross-band interoperability for voice and data
communications. The VHF sites were connected to the 800 MHz system where
overlapping coverage was needed and provided interoperability of voice
and data messages for the two local system entities and the Federal
office. Test cases highlighting feature functionality were successfully
demonstrated including the sharing of encryption keys over the air. The
interoperability flexibility was so beneficial to the customers that the
Federal government customers are currently looking into expanded testing
in 2004 and will include further extending the network to other sites
across the nation. 

The modular design of the ASTRO 25 system provides scalability in
handling the needs of small or large communications systems. In
addition, the flexible system design includes narrowband simulcast in
the 12.5 kHz range. This feature provides improved portable coverage in
densely populated urban areas as well as critical in-building coverage.

Portable and mobile subscriber units designed to operate on the overall
ASTRO 25 platform include the XTS 5000, XTS 3000, XTS 2500, XTS 1500 and
ASTRO Saber portable radios as well as the XTL 5000, ASTRO Spectra Plus,
ASTRO Spectra, and ASTRO Spectra Consolette mobile based radios.

Software-Based Encryption
Flexible, secure communications options are offered with the addition of
a new Advanced Digital Privacy (ADP) software-based encryption
algorithm. This software-based encryption solution provides a basic
level of encryption over the network, enabling agencies to keep
unauthorized listeners from monitoring conversations without incurring
the additional setup time and component cost of the more robust hardware
encryption options.

Innovative Keying Solutions
This release also provides efficient Over-The-Air Re-keying (OTAR)
capabilities on the trunked radio network. OTAR allows customers to
rekey portable and mobile radios remotely over the trunked RF channel.
Re-keying is done by the Key Management Facility (KMF), which formulates
and originates the OTAR messages and acts as the key manager of the
system. The primary benefits of this technology include:

? Improving productivity by reducing manpower and time in the field to
manually rekey radios 
? Allowing system operators to plan, generate, store, track and maintain
all encryption keys for their entire system using one centralized device
rather than manual tracking methods
? Enhancing the security of the encrypted system by allowing system
operators to change encryption keys as needed —such as when a security
leak occurs

Motorola XTS 5000™portable radios, ASTRO Spectra Plus and XTL
5000™mobile radios support OTAR functionality on an encrypted ASTRO 25
Trunked Integrated Voice and Data system.

“Motorola continues to lead the industry in supporting the Project 25
Standard with products and infrastructure designed to ensure public
safety agencies have the ability to effectively communicate in ordinary
and extraordinary circumstances,” said Jackson. “We are committed to
enhancing our ASTRO 25 Trunking system to meet the industry’s evolving
mission-critical voice and data communications needs.”

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,4017_3378_23,00.html

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/