Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC SEEKS INFORMATION FOR CMRS MARKET REPORT

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 02:56:54 -0500

FCC SEEKS INFORMATION FOR CMRS MARKET REPORT

The FCC is soliciting data and other information to help it prepare the
agency's ninth annual report on the state of competition in the
wireless  market.  The Commission released a notice of inquiry today in
Wireless Telecommunications docket 04-111 seeking the information.
Comments are due April 25 and replies are due May 10.

The annual report is mandated by Congress.  The notice released today
solicits information on a wide variety of topics, including the
commercial mobile radio service (CMRS) market's structure and
performance, carrier conduct, and consumer behavior.

"In this proceeding, the Commission seeks to update the indicators of
competition for the next report to Congress and to assist in
determining if there is still effective competition in the CMRS
market," the agency said.

In a separate statement, Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy said it
seemed "appropriate to start this year's inquiry with a presumption of
effective competition.  But we don't.  We start from scratch as if
there  has never been any data gathered about the nature of the wireless

industry, the competitiveness of the market, and the wide variety of
service offerings available to consumers."

Commissioner Michael J. Copps reiterated his view that the FCC
"should strive to improve our data gathering" for the reports, and
cited  a lack of information on churn, rural pricing, and competition. -
Paul
Kirby, [email-masked]

http://www.tr.com/online/trd/2004/td032404/index.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/