Subject: Re: [NEXTEL-1] Larry K. (Nextel V.P.) Prepares To Weasel Out of $850M Public...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:05:42 EST

That's a fairly succint response, Don, and quite correct with your statement 
that the operators are operating legally.  However, please note that it really 
doesn't have to do with the emission rules for Part 90 vs. the cellular 
rules, as Cellular A operators are also causing very significant interference, even 
though they too are operating within the bounds of the rules.  That makes it 
the most significant complicating factor in forcing any resolution on Nextel 
or the cellular folks.

Alan

In a message dated 3/6/2004 4:21:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked] 
writes:
Glenn Little WB4UIV wrote:

> Why does the FCC put up with the interference that Nextel causes? If I as a 
> smaller radio operator caused the same problem, I would have to turn all 
> licenses that I held back into the FCC and pay the fines. Here Nextel just 
> keeps causing interference without penalty. Seems to be a problem here. Is 
> someone paying insurance money to the FCC??

The FCC "puts up with the interference" because the interference is 
legally being generated.

Nextel operates in Industrial (Part 90) spectrum, not Cellular.  Public 
Safety is also in Part 90 spectrum.  There was no digital operation of 
the type Nextel uses when the 800 MHz Part 90 allocation was made, and 
Nextel meets the emission standards for Part 90.  It is the way Nextel 
implemented their Cellular-like system design that is the issue.

Don
K6CDO