Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Former Pennsylvania Fire Chief Accused Of Stealing From Department

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 08:51:55 -0500

Updated: 02-26-2004 03:49:16 PM

Former Pennsylvania Fire Chief Accused Of Stealing From Department

TRACY MEADOWCROFT
Courtesy of The Record Herald

WAYNESBORO - The former Waynesboro fire chief has been charged with
depositing
two department checks into his personal account and withholding funds
from the
borough, according to an affidavit of probable cause filed Tuesday in
District Justice
Larry Pentz's office.

Glenn Dale Fishack Jr., 34, of 14545 Barkdoll Road, Hagerstown, was
charged by
Pennsylvania State Police with two counts of theft by failure to make
required
disposition of funds received, the report said.

Fishack has an unlisted phone number and could not be reached for
comment.

The details

Police allege Fishack deposited two checks made out to the fire
department into his
personal account on May 29 and July 1, 2003. During an interview with
police Oct.
19, 2003, Fishack reportedly admitted to depositing the checks in his
account, police
said.

The checks totaled just over $600, police said.

Police said Fishack told them "he and another guy made this money for
the fire
company, and he was going to keep the money until the fire company
needed (it)
for something else that would otherwise be denied by (borough)
committees that
allocated money."

Fishack told police the money was still in his account and he had no
intentions of
spending it, according to the report.

Police said Fishack told them "he felt the money didn't belong in any
general fund for
everyone else to use, and he would discuss the use of the money when he
thought it
would be needed."

Waynesboro police were initially told about Fishack's alleged actions by
Timothy
Misner, attorney for the fire department, according to the affidavit.

State police were asked to investigate due to a possible conflict of
interest between
borough agencies, according to the report.

Missing batteries

Police also allege Fishack sold several pager/radio batteries ordered
Jan. 9 and 14
and Sept. 11, 2003, at a profit and failed to compensate the borough.

Goldie Kauffman, borough treasurer, confirmed 112 batteries were ordered
and only
86 were left at the fire station, according to the charges. Police said
Kauffman
reported Fishack had given the borough no money for the batteries, which
he sold
for $10 each.

On Feb. 11, 2004, Stanford "Skip" Sydnor, state police fire marshal,
found 72
Panasonic, eight Motorola and six pager/radio batteries at the station,
according to
the report.

Police said a number of fire company members purchased some of the
batteries.

Former Borough Council President Doug Tengler told police in December
that he and
members of council wanted criminal charges brought against Fishack,
according to
the report.

Police said Tengler told them he had information that Fishack may have
purchased
pager/radio batteries through the borough and failed to make
reimbursement.

Tengler also told police he believed Fishack was putting borough money
into his own
account at First National Bank of Greencastle, according to the
affidavit.

Tengler also provided police with three bills for batteries purchased by
the borough,
police said.

Police said Fishack's account at the Greencastle bank did not contain
borough funds.

History

Fishack was hired as the Waynesboro Fire Department's first full-time
fire chief in
1997. His annual salary was $38,285, according to borough records.

Fishack was placed on paid administrative leave Nov. 3, 2003, by the
borough's
property committee, which oversees operations of the fire department.

He appeared before the committee Nov. 25, 2003, to discuss his case
behind closed
doors. Fishack tendered his resignation effective Dec. 19, 2003.

Deputy Chiefs Jody Sanders and Chris McGarity and Fire Marshal Jerry
Hartman
have been taking care of department business since Fishack left.

The borough has yet to advertise for another fire chief and has not
appointed new
deputy chiefs. Action was scheduled at the last borough council meeting
Feb. 18 but
was deferred due to the absence of two councilmen.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=46&id=26745

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/