Subject: [NEXTEL-1] KPLC Towers Fall, Services Interrupted

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:01:06 -0500

KPLC Towers Fall, Services Interrupted
Video:http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1690245&nav=0n4JLJP0

March 4, 2004

Reported by Danner Evans

There was an awe-inspiring scene near Fenton Thursday afternoon when
KPLC's two television transmitting towers toppled to the ground. The two
towers came down just before 5 p.m., destroying the station's
transmitters and transmitter building.
Those two towers were nearly 16-hundred feet tall, as tall as a 160
story building. Eyewitnesses say they've never seen anything like this
before. "I was at my house, heard a noise and I came outside and the
towers were collapsing," says Jamie Hatfield.

Hatfield's house is 10 miles north of Iowa. "You could feel the ground
shake, here I was at, I'm only a quarter mile away." Hatfield, who is
also the Fire Chief in Jeff Davis, quickly responded. "Big boom, a lot
of noise, I heard crackling. Called my firemen, jumped in my truck and
came out to the scene. And this is what we found."

"We built a new tower and we were in the process of taking the old tower
down," says KPLC's Chief Engineer John Scott. He says there is an
emergency plan already in action. "We're getting a low power transmitter
brought down right now plus a temporary antenna. Hopefully we'll have
something on the air by the weekend."

KPLC service remains unaffected for Cox cable customers in the Lake
Charles, Lafayette and Acadiana areas.

Some KPLC Newscasts are being simulcast on the radio: KLCL AM 1470 in
the Lake Charles area, and KJEF AM 1290 in the Jennings area.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/