Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CTIA 2004 In Brief:

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:15:11 -0500

CTIA 2004 In Brief:
BY WIRELESS WEEK STAFF
MARCH 22, 2004

CTIA Wireless 2004 opens its doors in Atlanta today where the wireless
industry
will showcase a smattering of technologies, devices and deals. Here's a
glimpse at
what's being unveiled at the show. Click here for complete coverage.

Polaris Wireless announced that its Location Signatures technology is
being
deployed by Rural Cellular in its TDMA networks. The deployment,
according to Polaris, will assist Rural Cellular in meeting FCC E911
Phase II
requirements. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Research In Motion has unveiled its latest BlackBerry device, the 7750.
The
Java-based, color handheld is designed to operate on CDMA2000 1X
networks. Verizon Wireless is expected to make the device commercially
available next month.
Sun Microsystems' Java Desktop System, an enterprise desktop solution,
will operate in conjunction with AT&T Wireless' nationwide EDGE wireless

data network beginning in Fall 2004. The EDGE-enabled Java Desktop
System will give AT&T Wireless users the ability to leverage a complete,

cost-effective, fully mobile laptop client to stay connected to the
Internet,
access their corporate networks or check e-mail, according to the
companies.
Texas Instruments unveiled its third-generation 802.11 solution
specifically
designed cell phones, smartphones and PDAs. The new chipset can be
configured for 802.11b/g or 802.11a/b/g operation using different WLAN
RF solutions from TI. The chipset leverages two previous generations of
deployed mobile WLAN chipsets. The two-chip 802.11b/g solution combines
the TNETW1250 single-chip MAC/baseband processor with the
TNETW3422M radio frequency front end and power amplifier chip.
Vindigo Studios is showcasing FotoShare by Vindigo, a mobile
entertainment product designed to enable users to create a mobile photo
album even without a built-in camera on their phone. Consumers can
download the product through their wireless carrier and are then
assigned a
unique FotoShare e-mail address. The account enables users to send and
receive photos. The FotoShare application also is downloaded on their
wireless phone, enabling the photos to be viewed and shared from there
as well. Consumers also can create wallpapers from their photos.
generationPIX has added Qualcomm's BREW capabilities to its Logitech
Mobile Video 6.0, an enhanced version of Logitech Mobile Video service.
Logitech Mobile Video 6.0 enables wireless subscribers to view real-time

images from public or password-protected private web cameras from their
BREW-enabled wireless phone. The enhanced version is available to
subscribers in the United States and Latin America.
Sierra Wireless has introduced the AirCard 775 PC Card and the MP 775
GPS modem for EDGE networks. The AirCard 775 wireless wide area network
card is designed to provide mobile users with faster data rates,
reaching
speeds up to three times faster than on GPRS networks, Sierra Wireless
says. The MP 775 GPS rugged vehicle-mount modem provides in-vehicle
data solutions while operating over EDGE and GSM/GPRS networks. The
products are scheduled for commercial availability in the second half of

2004.
Pronto Networks announced plans to integrate its Wi-Fi service delivery
platform with Syniverse Technologies' clearinghouse.  Pronto says
leveraging Syniverse's Mobile Data Roaming Services platform will
facilitate
bi-lateral Wi-Fi roaming with both domestic and international roaming
partners, hence increasing revenue collection opportunities. As part of
the
deal, Syniverse will provide wholesale rating, clearing and settlement,
as
well ACCESSibility customizable online financial and detailed usage
reports.
ReCellular announced it is stepping up its efforts to support the reuse
and
recycling of used personal electronics with the addition of 30,000 more
drop off recycling locations in the U.S. The company also said it is
expanding into Latin America.
Opto 22 and Sony Ericsson plan to collaborate to develop a broader range

of Opto 22's solutions for remote monitoring and control. The joint
effort
will enable Opto 22 to bring to market a broader range of its wireless
machine-to-machine device connectivity products based on Sony Ericsson's

portfolio of cellular communication engines and modules. The companies
expect to deliver their first products in the second quarter of this
year.
Step Communications, a developer and supplier of acoustic technologies
and wireless communication devices, announced it has added new features
to its STEP 1150 Bluetooth headset. Specifically, the company has
increased talk time, added dual Bluetooth profile support and announced
the release of the BTA-1 adapter for non-Bluetooth phones.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/