Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Verizon Wireless announces $692M BroadbandAccess expansion

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:43:17 -0500

Verizon Wireless announces  $692M BroadbandAccess expansion;
Lucent, Nortel win contract 

by Emily Motsay
March 22, 2004

ATLANTA

Verizon Wireless announced today it has awarded 
Lucent Technologies and Nortel Networks contracts 
worth a total of $692 million to supply wireless 
infrastructure technology to expand its BroadbandAccess 
service. 

Verizon said it has signed a three-year 1xEV-DO agreement with Lucent
under which the company is expected to invest more than $525 million in
Lucent’s wireless infrastructure technology in the first two years of
the contract. Lucent was the primary supplier of Verizon’s initial
commercial deployment of BroadbandAccess service last fall in Washington
D.C. 

The company also awarded Nortel with a two-year contract and said it
expects to spend $167 million on Nortel’s technology through 2005.
Nortel, which was a supplier for Verizon’s San Diego deployment of
BroadbandAccess last fall, will upgrade the network’s existing base
stations with new Metro Cell base stations, modules and associated
services. 

BroadbandAccess is powered by Verizon’s third-generation CDMA2000
1xEV-DO technology-based data network. The carrier earlier this year
said it plans to make the high-speed wireless data services available
throughout its national footprint. With the service, customers can
wirelessly access data at 2 Megabits per second, which is up to four
times faster than EDGE service and up to 10 times faster than GPRS,
according to Verizon. 

Shares of Verizon, Lucent and Nortel were slow to react to the news. At
press time, all were trading slightly down with Verizon at $36.81 per
share; Lucent at $3.97 per share; and Nortel at $5.41 per share. 

In related news, Verizon joined access infrastructure solution provider
Citrix Systems Inc. and solutions integrator Zumasys Inc. to announce
San Diego-based Continental Laboratory Products as the first customer to
roll out a mobile access solution that combines Citrix MetaFrame
Presentation Server and Verizon’s BroadbandAccess service. The
manufacturer and marketer of laboratory tools’ direct sales team will
use the network to wirelessly access data from the field. 

Verizon also said it will team with Korea’s SK Telecom to collaborate on
wireless multimedia business issues, including EV-DO architecture and 3G
multimedia services, in an effort to improve the EV-DO customer
experience and promote acceptance of the technology in the enterprise
and small business markets. 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17392

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/