Subject: [NEXTEL-1] New OnStar Digital Hardware Offers Improved Voice Recognition, Continuous Digit Dialing

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:50:20 -0500

New OnStar Digital Hardware Offers Improved Voice Recognition,
Continuous Digit Dialing

Continuous hardware improvements in 6 generations over 8 years

TROY, Mich., Feb. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- OnStar now offers digital and
analog
coverage as it unveiled its latest generation of hardware today.  OnStar
has
also upgraded its embedded hands-free voice recognition capabilities by
collaborating with IBM to enhance its ViaVoice technology, allowing
faster,
more intuitive continuous digit dialing and improved voice recognition
accuracy.  OnStar, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors, is the
industry-leading provider of in-vehicle safety and security services.
"We're excited to introduce our sixth generation of hardware in less
than
eight years, and to do so by aligning today's rapidly changing consumer
electronics product cycle with the automotive product lifecycle," said
Chet
Huber, president of OnStar.

OnStar's new hardware incorporates 3G CDMA2000 1X wireless technology,
taking advantage of two digital frequencies and one analog frequency,
depending on network availability.  CDMA2000, a digital wireless
technology
commercially developed by QUALCOMM, is the preferred standard for sound
quality, high-speed transmission of voice and data, and can process more
calls
than analog networks.

"OnStar's move to 3G CDMA is the result of a partnership and shared
vision
that telematics enhances the safety, security and available services for

drivers and passengers of OnStar-equipped vehicles," said Dr. Paul E.
Jacobs,
president of QUALCOMM's Wireless and Internet Group.  "QUALCOMM is proud
that
OnStar has selected our chips and technology to turn the promise of
digital
wireless into reality for their subscribers."

When OnStar launched service in the fall of 1996, analog was the
ubiquitous network that enabled the delivery of in-vehicle safety and
security
services nationwide.  Today, OnStar's coverage over the wireless network
is
widespread and reliable and OnStar's hands-free, voice-activated 3-watt
wireless phone, with exterior mounted antenna, provides superior
reception.
By offering access to services on both digital and analog networks
OnStar
subscribers have the broadest possible high-speed wireless service
available.
Gen 6 hardware will begin to roll out this spring in the General Motors
fleet, starting on select midsize SUVs, and will continue on a mix of
all
SUVs, pickups and cars.

About OnStar
OnStar, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors, is the nation's
leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services
using
the Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite network and wireless
technology.
OnStar is available on more than 50 GM models for 2004.  OnStar safety
and
security services include automatic notification of air bag deployment,
stolen
vehicle location, emergency services, roadside assistance with location,

remote door unlock, GM Goodwrench remote vehicle diagnostics, route
support,
OnStar concierge and convenience services.  OnStar Personal Calling
allows
drivers to make and receive hands-free, voice-activated phone calls, and

Virtual Advisor allows access to location-based traffic and weather
reports,
as well as sports scores, stock quotes and news.  More information about

OnStar can be found at http://www.onstar.com .

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-26-2004/0002117505&EDATE=

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/