Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Flarion Heats Up Wireless Broadband Race With Modems, Chipsets

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:54:24 -0500

Flarion Heats Up Wireless Broadband Race With Modems, Chipsets 

By Mobile Pipeline News   

Flarion Technologies, a vendor of metropolitan area network (MAN) 
equipment based on the IEEE 802.20 standard, said Wednesday it has 
started shipping modems and embedded chipsets for laptops, handhelds 
and mobile phones. 

Flarion's technology is being used in field trials by Nextel 
Communications. The company claims its Flash-OFDM technology provides 
typically downstream speeds of 1 Mbps and typical upstream speeds of 
between 300 and 500 Kbps. It also claims latency of between 35 and 50 
milliseconds. 

That means it is more than twice as fast as Verizon Wireless' CDMA-
based 1xEVDO technology, which that company will start rolling out 
nationwide this summer. Its latency is also roughly a quarter that of 
1xEVDO. 

Flarion's technology competes with forthcoming products from vendors 
such as Intel based on the 802.16, or WiMAX, standard. 

So far, Verizon Wireless and Nextel are the only vendors that have 
announced plans for wireless broadband in the U.S., and Nextel has 
kept its specific plans close to its vest. AT&T Wireless also must 
roll out fast service in at least four metropolitan areas by the end 
of 2004 as part of its contract obligations with NTT DoCoMo, but has 
been quiet about rollout plans beyond that. 

Most other U.S. vendors have deployed slower wireless data service 
with typical speeds in the 50 Kbps to 120 Kbps range. 

Flarion said the modems will come in PCMCIA and CompactFlash type II 
formats. Flarion also creates infrastructure equipment, such as base 
stations, for wireless operators. 

http://www.mobilepipeline.com/news/18400564

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/