Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Samsung releases products, completes GSM 1x trial with Nextel

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:34:43 -0500

Samsung releases products, completes GSM 1x trial with Nextel

March 22, 2004 12:21 PM EST
 
ATLANTA—Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. today sought to dominate 
virtually every area of the wireless industry with new handsets, new 
infrastructure products, new phone chipsets and new products and 
services for the enterprise market. Samsung also announced it 
completed a GSM 1x technology trial with Nextel Communications Inc., 
as well as a demonstration of its new CDMA EV-DV system at the CTIA 
Wireless show. 

J. Neal Smith, senior director of Samsung's wireless systems 
business, said the company recently completed a GSM 1x trial with 
Nextel, further evidence that the iDEN carrier is looking to upgrade 
its network. Smith said GSM 1x technology can combine a GSM core with 
a CDMA 1xRTT radio access network. 

GSM 1x "would allow (Nextel) to take both push-to-talk functionality 
and Subscriber Identity Module card functionality to the market," 
Smith said. 

Smith declined to comment on any commercial agreements between Nextel 
and Samsung. 

In other infrastructure news, Samsung introduced its new CDMA EV-DV 
system, which includes both EV-DV base stations and phones. Smith 
said Samsung's EV-DV system uses Samsung's chipsets instead of those 
from CDMA pioneer Qualcomm Inc., although he said the two companies 
still have a close relationship. 

Smith also said Samsung is currently testing its EV-DV system with 
U.S. carriers, although he declined to name the operators. The news 
is notable as Sprint PCS has said it plans to skip the CDMA EV-DO 
network technology upgrade and go directly to EV-DV, which can 
support 3.1 Mbps speeds as well as simultaneous voice and data 
connections. 

"EV-DV allows us to do a lot of cool things," Smith said. 

In conjunction with the new EV-DV system, Samsung released new 
versions of its Base Transceiver Station and Base Station Controller, 
products that support both EV-DV and W-CDMA networks. Smith said the 
new products also support MMDS spectrum in the 2.5 GHz band, which is 
notable as both Sprint and Nextel own such spectrum. 

In other Samsung news, the company's semiconductor division released 
its new OneNAND product, a single-chip combination of NAND and NAND 
flash controller logic. The company said OneNAND is optimized for 
advanced handsets, including camera, video and smart phones. 
Separately, Samsung's System LSI logic business released a new 
application process for advanced multimedia phones. 

Samsung also reported on its new enterprise efforts, which include 
sales of its i600 and i700 smart phones to various corporations. 
Samsung said it is working to supply wireless enterprise applications 
and products to businesses. 

"We've been working quite actively ... on mobile solutions for the 
enterprise," said Peter Skarzynski, senior vice president of 
Samsung's phone business. "You're now getting chief information 
officers to think of how to use wireless in their business." 

http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17396

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/