Subject: [NEXTEL-1] State gives emergency funds

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 02:34:18 -0500

The Indiana Digital Student -
State gives emergency funds
By Jon Shoulders

Published Monday, March 1, 2004
Updated 01:21AM Monday, March 01, 2004

Police, firefighters, medical technicians and other emergency first
responders in 45 counties throughout Indiana will receive a financial
boost from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Gov. Joe Kernan
announced Tuesday.

Seven million dollars will be dispersed throughout Indiana to improve a
statewide communications system network currently funded by the
Integrated Public Safety Commission's Project Hoosier Safe-T. The system
basically consists of communication towers, connectors and related
components for interoperability. Local spending will include procuring
the necessary equipment to access this statewide system -- an expensive
endeavor, particularly for smaller counties, said IPSC Communications
Director Sally Fay. The funds, which came from the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security, are administered by the IPSC and the State Emergency
Management Agency.

Fay said the grant marks a satisfying result of several years of hard
work and devotion to improving statewide security.
"This is something we've had on the table for a long time. Frank
O'Bannon was a champion of this program, as was Governor Kernan when he
was lieutenant governor." Fay added that the events of September 11
intensified the need to improve statewide communication and moved the
program up on the state's agenda.

Fay said terrain issues led to most of southwest Indiana's exclusion in
the funding but plans to equip those areas are in the works.

David Abel, a public information officer for emergency management in
Batesville, Ind. (part of Ripley County, which will receive $272,000),
said miscommunication is one of the most dangerous aspects of emergency
response.
"It's just like the old game where somebody says something and by the
time it gets to other side of the room it's all been changed."

In a statement, Kernan said tens of thousands of first responders across
the state are working to protect their fellow Hoosiers from harm.

"From traffic accidents, high-speed chases, missing children and weather
disasters to a full-scale terrorist attack, we must be ready and well
equipped to take action instantly and seamlessly," Kernan said. "If our
public safety protectors are unable to talk to one another to coordinate
life-saving activities, lives can be lost."

Tina Noel, press secretary for the governor's office, said "the system
is completely instrumental in a variety of situations. If a police
officer, for example, needs to get in immediate touch with the fire
department or a medical responder, this system will allow for that kind
of quick-needed communication."

Fay said she believes Indiana is and will be viewed as a model for
statewide interoperability and the IPSC hopes to implement not only
statewide, but also interstate communication in the future.

"Superintendent (Melvin) Carraway, SEMA Director Patrick Ralston and
Indiana Counter-Terrorism and Security Council Director Clifford Ong
have worked hard to make these grants a reality," Kernan said. "Because
of their commitment and the commitment of our congressional delegation
and state legislators, Hoosier first responders and the citizens they
protect will be safer."

-- Contact staff writer Jon Shoulders at [email-masked].

 http://www.idsnews.com/story.php?id=21710
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/