Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Motorola is creating a dispatch platform for the NYPD, which will eventually be shared by the FDNY

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:35:27 -0500

Cops, FDNY mis-meshed

By FERNANDA SANTOS

DAILY NEWS POLICE BUREAU

Cops and firefighters still have not agreed on how to work together
during major emergencies, putting millions of dollars in federal
anti-terror funds at risk, city officials said yesterday.

"I'm disappointed that we haven't gotten to the point where we have an
agreement" on a joint emergency operations plan, Fire Commissioner
Nicholas Scoppetta said.

The plan, known as citywide incident command system, must be in place by
October - or else Homeland Security Department grants will dry up.

"It will have to happen," Scoppetta said. "Homeland Security funding is
conditional on municipalities having something that would show they
have, in writing, plans for coordinated activities between agencies."

The Fire Department alone has gotten $600 million in Homeland Security
grants, while the Police Department received $95 million last year,
officials said.

The funds are used to outfit and train cops and firefighters in
counterterrorism. First responders have been working on the joint
protocol for two years. But the stalled negotiations were given new life
March 1, when the federal government approved a nationwide emergency
response plan. The national plan creates a unified chain of command for
federal, state and local agencies and serves as a template for citywide
plans.

"We had to wait," one police official said. "We couldn't have finalized
our incident management system until [the nationwide system] was
finalized."

Another hindrance was the resignation last year of John Odermatt,
commissioner of the Office of Emergency Management, which is
spearheading the city plan. A new OEM commissioner, Brooklyn Supreme
Court Justice Joseph Bruno, will take over next Monday.

In spite of it all, the October deadline "is a feasible timetable," the
police official said.

Meanwhile, the Police and Fire departments are on track to share a
dispatch system, solving a significant problem faced on Sept. 11 and
during last year's blackout, Mayor Bloomberg said.

Motorola is creating a dispatch platform for the NYPD, which will
eventually be shared by the FDNY, Bloomberg said.
With Greg Gittrich

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/178662p-155364c.html
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/