Subject: [NEXTEL-1] "Lawfully Authorized Electronic Surveillance" J-STD-025-B.

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:07:29 -0500

TIA, ATIS Publish Electronic Surveillance Standard

The Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) and the Alliance for
Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) have jointly published the
TIA Standard/ATIS Committee T1 Trial Use Standard, "Lawfully Authorized
Electronic Surveillance" J-STD-025-B.

This standard defines the interfaces between a telecommunications
service provider (TSP) and a law enforcement agency (LEA) to assist the
LEA in conducting lawfully authorized electronic surveillance. The
purpose of this standard is to facilitate a TSP's compliance with the
assistance capability requirements defined in Section 103 of the
Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA). J-STD-025-B
defines services and features to support Lawfully Authorized Electronic
Surveillance (LAES) and the interfaces to deliver intercepted
communications and communication-identifying information to an LEA when
authorized. The document also defines a protocol for delivering specific
information elements to LEAs.  Compliance with this standard satisfies
the 'safe harbor' provisions of Section 107 of CALEA and helps ensure
efficient and industry-wide implementation of the assistance capability
requirements.

J-STD-025-B focuses on refining the CALEA packet-mode communications
requirements for the interface to the collection equipment of LEAs. The
requirements in this standard pertain to several technologies. The
details of the solution for the "cdma2000" packet data system are
included in the standard, as are normative references for Voice over
Packet (VoP) for Wireline Telecommunications Networks and Universal
Mobile Telecommunications System/General Packet Radio Service
(UMTS/GPRS), technologies focused on by ATIS' Technical Committees T1S1
and T1P1 respectively.
J-STD-025-B is a TIA Standard/ATIS Committee T1 Trial Use Standard,
which was developed and approved by TIA and ATIS' Committee T1 for trial
use, comment and criticism, and published in December 2003. At its March
2004 meeting, the TIA Engineering Committee TR-45 approved a ballot to
determine whether the Trial Use Standard should be made into an American
National Standard. In like fashion, ATIS' Technical Committees T1P1 and
T1S1 recently issued similar letter ballots.

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/