Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FBI pushes for broadband wiretap powers

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:37:38 -0500

A proposal submitted by the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) 
to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on March 10, 2004 
would require all broadband Internet providers, including cable 
modem and DSL companies, to "rewire" their networks to allow for 
wiretapping by law enforcement. Under the proposal, existing 
broadband providers would have 15 months to comply, while new 
providers would have to be immediately compliant. If accepted, the 
proposal could have far-reaching consequences for broadband services 
providers. The FBI, the US Department of Justice and the Drug 
Enforcement Administration view the changes as essential in the 
fight against crime and terrorism. The proposal states: "The ability 
of federal, state and local law enforcement to carry out critical 
electronic surveillance is being compromised today." It is unclear 
when a decision on the proposal can be expected.
   
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-5172719.html

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/