Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Broadband Services Over Power Lines - Begins!!!

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:16:22 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: "sparkie_rf" <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Broadband Services Over Power Lines - Begins!!!

see: http://www.cinergy.com/News/default_corporate_news.asp?
news_id=420

Let the "interference" being!
-------------------------------------
Cinergy and Current Communications to Offer Broadband Services Over 
Power Lines

CINCINNATI, March 2, 2004 — Cinergy Broadband, LLC, a subsidiary of 
Cinergy Corp. (NYSE:CIN), and Current Communications Group, LLC 
announced today they are beginning to offer broadband over power 
line (BPL) services in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio area. A 
subsequent expansion is planned for Northern Kentucky and Indiana.

Cinergy Broadband and Current have formed a joint venture that will 
roll out broadband services under the brand Current Communications™. 
Initially, these services will consist of high-speed internet and 
will eventually be bundled with voice over IP (VoIP). Current will 
manage the venture, which will build and operate the BPL network and 
provide marketing, customer support and back office functionality. 
The BPL network will be deployed on electric distribution 
infrastructure using proven, proprietary BPL equipment and 
technology from Current's subsidiary, Current Technologies, LLC.

The companies have also created a second joint venture to pursue the 
deployment of BPL to targeted municipal-owned power companies and 
rural electric cooperatives across the United States. This joint 
venture will be managed by Cinergy Broadband and will market 
Current's BPL technology to its target customer utilities.

In addition to the joint ventures, Cinergy has made an investment in 
Current as part of a larger round of financing. In the financing, 
Current's existing investors, Liberty Associated Partners, LP and 
EnerTech Capital, LP, have each contributed additional capital. The 
aggregate amount of financial commitment to Current and the BPL 
ventures by all parties in these transactions exceeds $70 million.

The decision to roll out broadband services, initially in southwest 
Ohio and northern Kentucky, follows a trial of the technology and 
broadband service offering with more than 100 residential customers 
and several business customers in the Hyde Park area of Cincinnati. 
The trial produced high customer satisfaction and a strong interest 
in enrolling in the commercial service.

For Internet users, Current's BPL service offers:

    * "Always on" high speed Internet access from power outlets 
throughout the home or business
    * Upload and download access at the same speeds using readily 
available, off- the-shelf HomePlug® power line modems
    * Local area networking from all power outlets over existing 
electrical wiring
    * Faster speeds (in excess of 3 mbps) at lower monthly cost than 
other broadband services
    * Multiple speeds and pricing plans to meet individual needs and 
budgets
    * Truly "Plug and Play" installation and activation within 
minutes
    * All with no need to add any in-home wiring

"Customers will be amazed at the speed, low cost and reliability of 
BPL, as well as its ease of use," said William J. Grealis, executive 
vice president of Cinergy and president of Cinergy Broadband.

"We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to partner with 
Cinergy and provide consumers with the newest generation of 
broadband services," said Ronald Boillat, President and COO of 
Current Communications Services, LLC, Current's broadband services 
subsidiary.

Broadband services are being offered to consumers and small 
businesses initially in Hyde Park. Other areas where the service 
will be offered over the next six months are expected to include 
Wyoming, Delhi and Terrace Park, as well as other communities in and 
around Cincinnati. Customers will receive mailings announcing 
availability in their area as the service is rolled out.

Cinergy and Current also will use Current Technologies™ BPL 
equipment to implement important new services that will provide 
improved reliability and increased efficiency for Cinergy's utility 
subsidiaries and their customers. BPL technology can enable a 
variety of enhanced power distribution applications, including:

    * Automated outage detection and restoration confirmation
    * Remote monitoring and operation of switches and transformers
    * Remote capability to connect and disconnect electric service
    * More efficient demand-side management programs
    * Automated meter reading

Cinergy has a balanced, integrated portfolio consisting of two core 
businesses: regulated operations and energy merchant. Cinergy's 
regulated delivery operations in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky serve 
1.5 million electric customers and about 500,000 gas customers. In 
addition, its Indiana regulated operations own 7,000 megawatts of 
generation. Cinergy's energy merchant business is a Midwest leader 
in low-cost generation owning 6,300 megawatts of capacity with a 
profitable balance of stable existing customer portfolios, new 
customer origination, marketing and trading, and industrial-site 
cogeneration. The "into Cinergy" power- trading hub is the most 
liquid trading hub in the nation.

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/