Subject: [NEXTEL-1] W.Va. county passes rule banning camphones in school

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:54:03 -0500

Posted 3/16/2004 3:17 AM

W.Va. county passes rule banning camphones in school

FAYETTEVILLE, W.Va. (AP) — The
Fayette County Board of Education has become the first county in
West Virginia to ban students from bringing camera cellular
telephones to school.

Board members unanimously approved a proposal Monday night that
adds camera cell phones to the county's policy on electronic
devices, which was created in 1983, said Superintendent Helen
Whitehair.

"Apparently we're breaking new ground," Whitehair said. "When we
discussed this we didn't take that into consideration. We felt this
was a good idea and we put it in there."

State Department of Education spokeswoman Liza Cordeiro said
she was not aware of any other county school board adopting a
similar policy.

Cell phones, pagers, tape recorders and other electronic devices
are banned under the county's existing policy, but a principal can
grant an exemption on an emergency basis.

Witehair said the additional ban was needed because the board did
not want any exception to be made for camera phones.

"We feel we could not figure a time when that (camera phone)
would be a required item to have in school," Whitehair said.

The ban goes into effect immediately for the 7,000 students
attending one of Fayette County's 27 schools. It does not apply to
staff or faculty, Whitehair said.

The proliferation of Internet sites filled with pictures shot
surreptitiously in public bathrooms, locker rooms and other places
has prompted some schools in other states to ban the phones. And
lawmakers in such states as Iowa and Colorado are considering
their own measures to protect against such candid camera phones.

In West Virginia, it is against the law to videotape or photograp
h someone who is nude or seminude and publish the images without
the consent of the person.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2004-03-16-wv-camphone-ban_x.htm

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/