Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cubic Debuts its Navy Communications Data Link System at Major U.S. Military Exhibition

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:51:21 -0500

Cubic Debuts its Navy Communications Data Link System at Major U.S.
Military Exhibition

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040203005703&newsLang=en

 Western Conference and Exposition (WEST 2004)

SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 3, 2004--Cubic Defense Applications,
the defense segment of Cubic Corporation (AMEX:CUB), showcases its
next-generation Navy Communications Data Link System (CDLS) today at a
major military exhibition in San Diego.

The Navy CDLS -- an extremely high-speed data link that delivers
time-critical imagery and intelligence data to surface ships -- has made
its first public debut at the annual Western Conference and Exposition
(WEST 2004). Sponsored by the Armed Forces Communications and
Electronics Association and U.S. Naval Institute, WEST 2004 is the
largest event on the West Coast for communications, electronics,
intelligence, information systems, imaging, military weapon systems,
aviation and shipbuilding.

"We are proud to unveil this early prototype of the CDLS to our Navy
customers. The system will revolutionize data link communications for
U.S. and coalition forces, and ensure quick, accurate and secure
distribution of intelligence data to the fleet. This will improve their
ability to detect and track the movements of hostile -- or potentially
hostile -- forces behind enemy lines," said Gerald Dinkel, president and
CEO of Cubic Defense Applications.

Cubic is developing the CDLS under a $31.8 million contract from the
U.S. Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR). The
five-year contract contains options which, if exercised, could bring the
cumulative contract award to $92.7 million. Cubic's primary
subcontractors include ViaSat Inc. and AMSEC LLC, a business partnership
between SAIC and Northrop Grumman Newport News Shipbuilding.

The SPAWAR contract calls for the development of the "CDL System Block
1" -- a wideband Common Data Link that transmits signal and imagery
intelligence data between national/tactical reconnaissance aircraft
sensors and their associated surface ship processing systems. The system
comprises advanced software-defined radios, a satellite antenna and
secure data technology.

The CDLS is a "dual system" package that includes two antennas and two
data link electronic for each ship, allowing naval commanders to track
aircraft from any location aboard vessel. It also provides 15 different
waveforms that can be transmitted at top speed to nearly all variants of
military aircraft.

"The CDLS features the complete family of waveforms needed to
communicate with U.S. Air Force, Army and coalition aircraft sensors in
a network centric manner. It is also faster, lighter and more
cost-effective than current shipboard data link systems in use today,"
said Rick Lober, senior vice president and general manager of Cubic's
Communications & Electronic Business Unit.

The CDLS builds on Cubic's extensive experience in digital radios and
data links. It is also the culmination of an internal R&D effort to
develop wireless high-speed modems that operate at rates at
approximately 300 Mbps per second. The speed is 200 times faster than
the high-speed Internet devices we now use at home.

At WEST 2004, Cubic will also feature its high-speed mobile technology,
High Frequency (HF) communications systems and Direction Finding (DF)
systems. Highlights include:

* Long-Range, HF Communications -- Cubic is displaying its 4 Kilowatt HF
Power Amplifiers. Cubic's HF products are designed for air traffic
control, shipboard communications and land-based military operations.
They have proved to be extremely reliable for long-range or
"over-the-horizon" communications, and have been used in a number of
large U.S. and foreign HF modernization programs. Cubic has received
steady orders for its HF products in the past two years as the U.S. and
its allies focus on upgrading their systems to help combat terrorism.

* Public safety mobile radios -- Cubic is showcasing its high-speed
mobile radio technology for the public safety communications market. The
new system combines Cubic's high-speed data transmission technology with
IP MobileNet's public safety land mobile radios. These radios can be
used in mobile communications networks of police, fire, emergency
response and other first responders. The new technology, which exceeds
current industry standards, supports voice, data and video within a
common infrastructure.

* Signals Intelligence, including spectrum monitoring and signal jamming
-- Cubic and its partner, Network Fab, are demonstrating the
capabilities of its fast reaction VHF/UHF Signal Jammer and Wideband
Spectrum Display. The "PR151VJ" system can detect signals in near real
time and jam signals within any 30MHz block of the 20-3000 MHz RF range.
It can also provide custom wideband signal displays.

* DF/Frequency Monitoring Systems -- Cubic's DF products are currently
being used to help air traffic controllers isolate, track and eliminate
sources of radio-frequency interference in a cost-effective, timely
manner. The company's DF radios also support U.S. tactical training
missions. At WEST, Cubic is promoting its DF 4400 receiver/processor.
This compact, portable product is ideally suited for vehicle, airborne,
fixed station and shipboard use, where wide frequency coverage and
sophisticated operating features are required in a small package.

The Cubic Defense Applications group, one of Cubic's two major segments,
provides realistic combat training systems for military forces as well
as simulation, force modernization, educational services and operations
& maintenance and manufacturing services. The group also supplies
products and systems for C4ISR (Command, Control, Communications,
Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance) applications,
search and rescue avionics and radio communications for military and
civil markets. The corporation's other major segment, Cubic
Transportation Systems, designs and manufactures automatic fare
collection systems for public mass transit authorities. For more
information about Cubic, see the company's Web site at www.cubic.com.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/