Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Level 3 launches residential VoIP

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:13:11 -0500

Level 3 launches residential VoIP
By John Oates
Posted: 30/03/2004 at 10:34 GMT
The Register Mobile: Find out what the fuss is about. Take the two week 
trial today.

Level 3 is launching a white-label residential VoIP service for partners
to 
sell to residential customers.

Services will begin in the US during the second quarter of this year.
They 
are branded VoIP Enhanced Local service and HomeTone. VoIP has long been 
feted as the killer app for broadband. It is also a major challenge for 
established telcos which face losing their lucrative international and 
long-distance call revenues.

Sureel Choksi, president of Softswitch Services for Level 3, said in a 
statement: "The US consumer voice market, which is valued at over $65bn
per 
year, is on the verge of fundamental change. The growth of residential 
broadband access... is allowing a wide variety of companies to pursue
the 
consumer voice market. We believe Level 3, with its extensive softswitch 
platform and local network infrastructure is in a strong position to 
capitalize on this trend."

Enhanced Local service is described as building blocks for companies 
wanting a do-it-yourself approach to residential VoIP using their own 
switching infrastructure. HomeTone is described as a simpler service.

BT will begin trialling its IP service "Communicator" in May in the UK - 
based on Yahoo Messenger it will also allow voice calls over a broadband 
connection.

AT&T announced on Monday that residents in New Jersey would be first to
try 
its home VoIP service called CallVantage. Users will get an adapter to
plug 
into their, or anyone else's, broadband connection. The service also 
includes IP-based voicemail that can be accessed through a web page.

Level 3 launches residential VoIP

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/