Subject: [NEXTEL-1] CONSUMERS UNION GENERATES 8,000 LETTERS FROM DISGRUNTLED WIRELESS SUBSCRIBERS

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:01:41 -0500

CONSUMERS UNION GENERATES 8,000 LETTERS FROM DISGRUNTLED WIRELESS
SUBSCRIBERS

Nearly 8,000 letters from consumers upset about their wireless service
were delivered this week to wireless carriers as part of Consumers
Union's EscapeCellHell.org campaign, which advocates better contract
terms, details about coverage, and an end to the practice of "locking
down" useable phones so they won't operate on other compatible networks.
"In just one month, we had an overwhelming response to our Web- based
campaign, an indication of just how frustrated consumers are with their
cellphone companies," said Janee Briesemeister, the campaign's director.
Customers of Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless carrier,
wrote the most letters. AT&T Wireless Services, Inc., and Sprint PCS
ranked second and third, respectively, but had slightly higher complaint
rates. "Now that the companies have these customer letters, we will see
if the cellphone companies `can hear us now,' and respond to concerns
about poor service, draconian contract terms, and artificial locks that
keep customers' cellphones from working when they switch carriers," Ms.
Briesemeister said. Carriers' responses will be posted on the campaign's
Web site and e-mailed to each consumer who sent a letter, she added. -
Paul Kirby, [email-masked]

tr.com

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/