Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Re: NEXTEL FCC CAN'T FORCE IT TO PAY 800 MHz BAND REL

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:41:42 -0500

Alan,

How did you conclude that "they've jumped ship on UTC?"

<SNIP>

"While Verizon Wireless, Cingular, and AT&T Wireless have backed a
rival "balanced approach" for addressing commercial interference to
public safety systems in the 800 MHz band, some observers say the
recent developments indicate that the Commission plans to adopt some
realignment of the 800 MHz band."  

<SNIP>

Jill Lyon, general counsel and vice president of the United Telecom
Council, one of the drivers of the balanced approach plan, today said
she wasn't worried that the declaration of support for in-band
realignment by Verizon Wireless, Cingular, and AT&T Wireless
would hurt momentum for the balanced approach.  UTC, which
represents the utility industry, has been one of the most vocal
opponents of rebanding.

"They are not defecting," Ms. Lyon said of the wireless carriers,
noting that each has said that its first choice to address
interference would be Commission adoption of the balanced approach.  
But for
"political reasons," it appears the Commission may decide to realign
the 800 MHz band, she said.  "Obviously, we still think it's the wrong
way to do this."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/message/16496

 landmobilelawyer@a... wrote:

<<SNIP>>
> 
> Actually, the bigger news, which was glossed over, is that Verizon
and now 
> Cingular now recognize that the "Balanced Plan" doesn't cure
anything, and 
> they've jumped ship on UTC.
> 
> Alan

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/