Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Ham radio user runs interference in neighborhood

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:43:03 -0500

Ham radio user runs interference in neighborhood
 Corpus Christi, TX

But upgrades have helped signal avoid his neighbors' finicky home
electronics
February 29, 2004

Ann Pittaway, 73, has been hearing voices for three years now, and
they're not in her head - they've invaded her telephone, television and
computer.

She, her husband of 50 years, Donald, and a few neighbors have been
frustrated with a neighbor and his amateur ham radio interference.

"He just doesn't care," Ann Pittaway said Wednesday.

The Pittaways have contacted local police, the previous city manager,
legislators, the FBI, the governor's office and enforcement officials at
the Federal Communications Commission without success.
The city's building code, section 103.4.4.4, exempts ham radio towers
from permits and inspections, provided they don't exceed 50 feet.

The interference culprit, Reid Harding Hill, 33, is secretary of the
South Texas Amateur Radio Club. He's one of about 600 licensed amateur
ham radio operators in the Coastal Bend.

"It bothers me that these neighbors are upset, but I've done what I
can," Hill said.
Hill purchased the Pittaways a blocking device for their phone when they
first complained, and the phone company provided a filter, but neither
stopped the noise.

Longtime radio club member Ben Bennett, 36, guided the Pittaways to a
club meeting a while back to share their complaint. The couple says they
were whisked into a back room, where a couple of members talked to them,
and they weren't allowed to speak to the group.

Bill Oglesby, 60, a licensed amateur ham radio operator for 45 years, is
one of two internal club investigators who police members when
transmission interference complaints occur. He interviewed the Pittaways
and Hill in an ongoing investigation conducted alongside club member
James Hooper.

"The rub comes because of the inexpensive design of some solid-state
electronics (purchased by neighbors)," Oglesby said. "Hill is licensed
to run a legal operation. But devices he's interfering with are not
being shielding by the manufacturers.
"You couldn't get into an old rotary phone with 10,000 watts," Oglesby
said. That's one and half times more powerful than most radio stations,
he said. But Oglesby also says a 30-watt transmitter in his own car will
blink streetlights when he holds down the button.

"We have not found any technical reasons Hill should be called to task,"
Oglesby said.

The "buyer beware" problem comes in with the FCC's extensive rules
regarding Part 15 devices - a term referring to any household item that
unintentionally can cause radio wave interference or malfunction in the
presence of other radio waves, including light dimmers, toys, cordless
phones and more. Many cheaper electronic items have a sticker warning it
is a Part 15 device that might not function correctly if in close
proximity to radio waves.

The FCC rules place the responsibility for correcting interference on
the device user, i.e. the Pittaways. This can put a ham operator into
the unenviable position of explaining to neighbors that the device they
bought violates federal law.
Several elements contribute to interference in Hill's case, said Mark
Mireles, 45, the radio club's president.
The amount of activity, the frequency used, and the quality of an
operator's equipment can contribute to the level of interference near a
ham station, he said.

Hill recently upgraded his station equipment with a new transceiver and
a horizontal antenna that reduce the interference, Mireles said.

Hill now operates on different frequencies, which has caused less
interference for the Pittaways.
He has had his equipment checked by FCC authorities and has added new
equipment that enhances his reception and should cause less interference
for nearby electronic appliances.

"It cuts both ways," Hill said. "Some hams have their radio bands
disturbed by people's touch-lamps, doorbells and other things."

His most recent purchase is called a band-pass filter.

"I didn't buy my new equipment to stop others from having interference,
but to keep my signal within the band." Hill said. "But if it helps
others' interference concern, it's great."

Ann Pittaway and another neighbor said Friday there has been less
interference since Hill upgraded his equipment. They still aren't happy,
but now understand they need to watch for Part-15 stickers on items they
buy.
If you have problem, contact Mike Baird at 886-3774 or
[email-masked].

http://www.caller.com/ccct/local_news/article/0,1641,CCCT_811_2692684,00.html

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/