Subject: [NEXTEL-1] FCC's Digital TV Plans Could Mean More Spectrum For Wireless

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:17:42 -0500

FCC's Digital TV Plans Could Mean More Spectrum For Wireless

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is looking at ways to
kickstart the stalled transition of digital television from analog in
order to sell the vacated frequencies. The deadline for the migration is
2006, or when 85 percent of the population can receive digital
transmissions, whichever is achieved last. Under the current plan, the
2006 deadline would not be met. The FCC hopes to speed up the migration
by counting those homes which already have cable or satellite services,
quickly advancing the number of homes that meet the requirements to 85
percent. The new plan would allow the FCC to sell the airwaves by 2006
for billions of dollars to wireless companies and also free spectrum for
use by police, fire and ambulance services.

=============================================================================

FCC Ponders Novel Way to Push Digital TV -
Sources
Fri Mar 12, 2004 06:19 PM ET

By Jeremy Pelofsky

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Federal Communications Commission is
contemplating a creative way to advance the stalled transition to
digital television and sell vacated frequencies for billions of dollars,
sources familiar with the plan said on Friday.

Television broadcasters do not have to give up their analog airwaves
until the end of 2006, or when 85 percent of the population can receive
digital signals, whichever comes later.

The 2006 deadline is not expected to be met and there is no estimate of
when the transition would be completed.
Since roughly 85 percent of U.S. households subscribe to cable or
satellite television already, FCC Chairman Michael Powell and his staff
are weighing whether to count those homes, instantly achieving the goal
in many television markets, the sources said, speaking on the condition
of anonymity.

Subscribers who have a digital television set would enjoy the crisper
signals and for the majority who do not yet have one, they would receive
a signal that has been converted back to analog so they are not left in
the dark, they said.

Already, most local television stations are broadcasting in digital over
the air, but few consumers are receiving it. The transition so far has
been slowed by the high price of digital equipment, availability of
programming and piracy concerns.

The FCC -- counting on older television sets being discarded over time
-- has ordered that new, larger sets out this summer include a digital
tuner and that such devices be phased into smaller sets over the next
three years.

And under the new concept, many markets would reach that 85 percent
threshold likely by 2006, according to the sources. That would free up
the valuable analog airwaves, which would be auctioned to wireless
service providers, likely for billions.
Additionally, some of the spectrum would be used for police, fire and
ambulance services, which are also seeking additional airwaves.

There still would have to be a solution developed for the 15 percent of
households that do not get cable or satellite service and instead rely
on the over-the-air signals, which was always a problem with the
original transition plan.
An FCC spokeswoman declined to comment.

The trial balloon could get shot down in a number of ways, including if
the interpretation of the 85 percent reach cannot pass judicial muster,
or if one of the parties galvanizes enough opposition to the concept.

The idea has been floated to broadcasters, cable and satellite
operators, as well as congressional staff, the sources said.
Broadcasters have initially been cool to the idea as have cable
operators, they said.

"We have a variety of concerns," said Dennis Wharton, a spokesman for
the National Association of Broadcasters. He declined to elaborate.

A representative for the National Cable & Telecommunications Association
said the group would review any such proposal and expressed concern
about how those without cable or satellite would see digital television.

"The broadcast industry's only plan seems to be to occupy analog and
digital spectrum indefinitely," said NCTA spokesman Rob Stoddard.

The idea was first reported by Multichannel News, an industry magazine.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=ODODXMG4UTELECRBAE0CFEY?type=topNews&storyID=4559732&pageNumber=0

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/