Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Canadian wireless network service providers announced roamingagreement

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:59:58 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
From: David Akin <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Canadian wireless network service providers announced
roamingagreement

A conference is underway in Toronto this week called Wi-Fi Power (more
at:
http://www.wi-fipower.com/ )
Lots of companies in the Wi-Fi ecosystem, for lack of a better term, are
participating in the event and many issued some announcements today
about
new services, partnerships and so on.
What follows below, though, is the one that caught my eye -- it's about
a
national roaming agreement standard -- and I'm curious to know if any
listmember has any info about what's up in the U.S., Asia, or Europe as
far
as this kind of initiative is concerned?

>From the press release:
-------------------------------
Canadian Wireless Industry Announces Wi-Fi(R) Roaming Agreement
Inter-carrier agreement creates common brand and allows for roaming
between
Wi-Fi hotspots in Canada

 OTTAWA, March 1 /CNW/ - Canada's national wireless carriers today
announced
they have signed an inter-carrier agreement that establishes common
standards for roaming and interoperability of the public Wi-Fi(R)
hotspots
they operate. In addition, the carriers have joined together to create a
common brand identifier for Wi-Fi hotspots in Canada. Today's
announcement
by Bell Mobility, Microcell Solutions (Fido(R)), Rogers AT&T Wireless
and
TELUS Mobility serves as confirmation of the carriers' commitment to
develop
Wi-Fi in Canada.

Under the terms of the agreement, all public commercial hotspots
operated by
the carriers, and any other Canadian operator or hotspot owner who meets
the
minimum requirements and chooses to join the roaming alliance, will be
branded consistently with the common hotspot identifier (image available
at:
www.cwta.ca/media/hotspot.php3 ). When customers access Wi-Fi service in
any
location with the hotspot identifier, they can expect to be presented
with
an identical, browser-based login area, ensuring a simple, consistent
and
secure experience in all locations.

[Full press release at:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2004/01/c5488.html]
-------------------

-- 
David Akin
-----------------
CTV News 
The Globe and Mail
-----------------
Office: 416.313.2503
Mobile: 416.528.3819
-----------------

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/