Subject: [NEXTEL-1] NEXTEL ALERT

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:05:42 -0500

NEXTEL ALERT 

Be advised that yesterday we learned a very disturbing feature about our
Nextels. An SFPD undercover officer, who was doing some buys in one of our
cases, was compromised for the following reason. He provided the crook with
his Nextel cell phone as a UC contact number. He changed his voicemail and
left a message using his UC name (matching his UC cover).

The crook called the # and when it rang over to voicemail he pushed 
Option 1. Option 1,
identifies the owner/operator of the phone. If you recall when you first
activated your Nextel you had to call in and leave your name (or something
to like that) on a Nextel recording. Anyway, that original voice recording
is in EVERYONE's Nextel memory and can easily be accessed.

In our case, the crook got the UCs real name and entered it into Google.
Within minutes the crook learned that the UC was in an SFPD Officer who was
in an officer involved shooting several years ago. The incident made the
paper and is forever memorialized on the internet. It probably took all of
five minutes to figure this out.

As a side-note, I entered my name in Google last night and it immediately
gave links to, among other things, DEA watch ("evaluations" are posted), the
results of every road race I have run as well as my wife's alumni records,
church newsletters that get posted on their website.

DEA Tech took the time to figure out how to disable this function (refer
below) on our Nextels. I advise anyone who does UC work to do the same. He
sent it to a few people in the division who do UC work but you all should be
advised of the same.

-----Original Message-----

CALL YOUR CELL # ONCE YOUR VOICE MAIL KICK'S IN PRESS #1, THIS WILL VERIFY
IF YOUR NAME IS RECORDED FROM THE INTIAL ACTIVATION. IF THIS IS 
THE
CASE, DO THE FOLLOWING;

1. CALL YOUR VOICE MAIL AND ENTER CODE, AS IF RETRIEVING MESSAGE

2. HIT OPTION #4 - PERSONAL OPTIONS

3. HIT OPTION #4 - PERSONAL PREFERENCES

4. THEN HIT DELETE KEY #3? TO DELETE NAME

DO A RE-TEST USING ABOVE VOICEMAIL RETREIVAL TO VERIFY YOUR NAME IS DELETED.

=====

Mitch Davis 
TSCM/Special Operations Group Inc. 
Nashville, TN USA 
[email-masked] site:www.tscmusa.com.
Tel (615)837-9933 FAX (615) 523-0300 Cell(615) 364-6776

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/