Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Grant money enables county emergency systems upgrade

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:15:01 -0500

Grant money enables county emergency systems upgrade

Purdue Exponent - Mar 1, 2004
By Paul Glasser
City Editor

Tippecanoe county will receive $218,000 to upgrade its emergency radio
communications systems.

The money comes from a $7 million grant given by the U.S. Department of
Homeland
Security.

Steve Wettschurack, executive director of the Tippecanoe Emergency
Management,
said the money will help local services replace useless radios. A new
800 mhz
communications system was recently installed and Wettschurack said some
radios are
incompatible with the new system.

"The money will fill a void, but there will still be a need," he said.
"County government
funds are tight, and any time we can pick up grants, it helps
tremendously."

Brian Lowe, public information officer for the West Lafayette police,
said he hopes the
department will receive one or two new police radios, which cost about
$3,700 apiece.
Wettschurack will meet with all the local emergency service chiefs and
will prioritize the
requests.

Gov. Joe Kernan said improved communications are essential when
responding to
traffic accidents, terrorist attacks or weather disasters.

"Without effective communications, all the haz-mat suits and other
protective gear for
first responders don't mean a thing," he said.

The grant money will allow local emergency service organizations to buy
essential radio
equipment, said Melvin Carraway, superintendent of the Indiana State
Police.

"A good communication system is the first line of defense in any
emergency," he said.

http://www.purdueexponent.org/interface/bebop/showstory.php?date=2004/03/02&section=city&storyid=safe

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/