Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Cellular Applications Still 'Bread and Butter' for Wireless Power Amplifiers

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:04:09 -0500

Cellular Applications Still 'Bread and Butter' for Wireless Power
Amplifiers

As essential building blocks to wireless communication networks, power
amplifiers ride waves similar to that of the broader telecom markets.
These devices are the critical link in the transmission and reception of
all high power wireless signals and they are found in every cell phone
and every cellular base station. Shipments of power amplifiers into
cellular networks, including 2G through the emerging 3G networks,
represent a staggering 68 percent of the total market for GaAs (gallium
arsenide) and silicon-based amplifiers in 2003, according to ABI
Research.

Despite pockets of strong growth in the overall cellular markets, the
markets for power amplifiers for both
cellular infrastructure and terminals are set to represent 49 percent of
the broader market for power amplifiers
by 2008.

At the close of 2003, the market for GaAs and silicon wireless power
transistors, including SiGe (silicon germanium), stood just shy of $2
billion. Though the markets will not be characterized by high growth,
they will remain relatively flat moving forward. Some of the decline in
cellular handset and infrastructure power amplifiers will be offset by
gains in other markets, including Wi-Fi, broadband wireless technologies
such as WiMAX/802.16, military applications and avionics. Collectively
these segments will represent the remaining 51% of this market in 2008.

According to recent findings from ABI Research, companies like SiGe
Semiconductor, RF Micro Devices, Maxim and Micro Mobio are tapping these
opportunities by targeting the niche opportunity of Wi-Fi power
amplifiers. On the higher power side, as the broadband wireless markets
recover, this may offer additional opportunity for companies.
"Though many niche opportunities exist in this marketplace, the real
bread and butter will continue to be cellular. Despite a declining
share, markets for cellular power amplifiers are characterized by global
standards and global ubiquity making this segment the most contested,"
ABI Research's Edward Rerisi told TelecomWeb. "If a company can develop
a stronghold in the market for handset or infrastructure amplifiers,
they can leverage this strength to push into the emerging areas,
potentially thwarting competition."

These latest findings are detailed in ABI Research's latest report on
the market, "RF Power Devices:
Transistors, ICs, Power Modules and New Materials." The report covers
GaAs MMICs and discretes and silicon power transistors. Also examined
are the prospects of emerging materials, including SiGe and GaN.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/