Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Monroe County to ask voters for communication system funds

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:45:00 -0500

Article published Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Monroe County to ask voters for communication system funds

MONROE - The Monroe County Commission decided last night to ask voters
to help pay for a new emergency communications system for the county
after the commissioners agreed to reduce the amount of a previously
proposed telephone surcharge.

As a result of the decision, voters in the August primary will be asked
to pay $1.60 a month per telephone line for five years. A yes vote will
enable the county to pay off a $3.3 million loan it borrowed for its
share of the $9.3 million project.

In 2002, county commissioners voted to join the state-owned
communications system used by the Michigan State Police. It is
considered a significant improvement over the county's 50-year-old
system. In September, the commissioners voted to work with Motorola to
enhance the state's 800 megahertz emergency radio system that would help
it function everywhere in the county.

The following month, the Federal Emergency Management Agency awarded the
county a $6 million grant as part of the country's homeland security
program. Monroe County was the state's only applicant.

The county, which has one year to upgrade its system, is five months
into the project.

At its last meeting, on March 9, the commissioners tabled a motion to
ask the voters to pay a telephone-line surcharge that could reach 16
percent. Most of the commissioners were uncomfortable with that figure.

Pearl Albert-Green, noting a stagnant economy, said the recent
resounding defeat of a school bond issue was an indication that voters
were in no mood to approve any significant surcharges or tax increases.
Last night, Ms. Albert-Green said she was satisfied with the new figure.

Although gaining voter approval won't be easy, county administrator
Charles Londo said, residents are gaining a first-class system that will
make a difference in their lives.

Commissioner Randy Ansel, the lone dissenter, said he thought the
surcharge was too steep and did not want to take the issue to the
voters. Residents currently pay an 80 cents-per-month telephone line
surcharge for the county's 911 and central dispatch services.

In other business, the commission approved placing a renewal of a levy
supporting the county's senior citizens programs on the August ballot.
The levy, in effect since 1980 and good for four years, is up to 0.5
mills and costs homeowners from $50 to $75 a year, on average.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?SearchID=73167067434083&Avis=TO&Dato=20040324&Kategori=NEWS17&Lopenr=403240378&Ref=AR

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/