Subject: [NEXTEL-1] MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG APPOINTS JUDGE JOSEPH F. BRUNO AS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT COMMISSIONER

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:54:59 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PR- 047-04
March 4, 2004

MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG APPOINTS JUDGE JOSEPH F. BRUNO AS EMERGENCY
MANAGEMENT COMMISSIONER

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg today announced the appointment of Judge
Joseph F. Bruno as the new Commissioner of the Office of Emergency
Management (OEM).  A current Supreme Court justice in Kings County and a
former Fire Commissioner, Judge Bruno replaces John T. Odermatt, who
resigned at the end of last year.  The appointment is effective Monday,
April 5th, after Judge Bruno has retired from State Supreme Court.

"Judge Bruno has a long and distinguished career in public service,"
Mayor Bloomberg said. "With broad experience in public safety and a
record of making government agencies work, he has the ability to make
sure the City is well prepared for whatever events lie ahead of us.  We
need to make sure that the nation's leading City is the leading City in
emergency preparedness. We have too much at stake to settle for anything
less."

"Being mindful of the importance of OEM to the health and safety and
safety of those who live and work in our great City, I accept the
challenge offered to me by Mayor Bloomberg with pride and anticipation
of the work ahead. The mission of OEM will be refined and directed
toward emergency planning and critical information management. We will
act as the information and contact conduit for the Mayor and City
government in the event of a serious emergency.  OEM will review and
test the City's preparedness for serious emergencies and will generate
operationally sound plans with our partners in other City agencies. We
will also reach out as broadly as possible to the private and
quasi-public sectors to form partnerships toward enhancing the City's
emergency preparedness program. I expect to work closely and
cooperatively with our state and federal counterparts to meet all
required mandates and to seek all available funding needed to better the
City's emergency preparedness and to make and keep New York City as safe
as possible," Judge Bruno said.

The Mayor also announced that he has asked Judge Bruno to examine OEM's
response program with an eye towards reducing day-to-day responses
better handled by other agencies, such as the Police Department, Fire
Department or the Community Assistance Unit.  This will allow OEM to
spend more time and resources toward developing contingency plans for
the City and City agencies for use during emergencies.

Judge Bruno has dedicated his entire life to public service.  He served
in various posts in the City Law Department, from 1971 to 1983, rising
from a trial attorney to Chief of the General Litigation and Tort
Divisions. In 1983, he went to the Fire Department, where he served as
its First Deputy Commissioner. In 1986, after a scandal rocked the
City's Parking Violations Bureau, he directed that agency back to
operational normalcy.  He returned to the Fire Department to serve as
its Commissioner from 1987 to 1990.  After a year in the private sector
at Urbitran Associates, he was elected to the Civil Court of the City of
New York and was assigned to the Criminal Court in 1991. He was elevated
to Acting Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Kings
County in 1996.  Judge Bruno was re-elected to the Civil Court in 2001
[same position in 2002] and elected as a Justice of the Supreme Court in
2002.  He graduated from City College in 1966 with a B.S. in Economics
and graduated from St. John's Law School in 1968.

--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/