Subject: [NEXTEL-1] Connecticut agency deploys satellite-based emergency communications system

From: Marcelrf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:34:57 -0500

Connecticut agency deploys satellite-based emergency communications
system

Glenn Bischoff
IWCE/MRT, Mar 25 2004

LAS VEGAS--Mobile Satellite Ventures announced during IWCE 2004 that the
Connecticut Department of Public Health [CT-DPH] has deployed a
satellite-based emergency communications system that utilizes the
company's dispatch radio capability.

The system, dubbed "MEDSAT," connects the health department's command
center to 32 hospitals in the state, as well as the State of Connecticut
Emergency Operations Center and the Connecticut Hospital Association.
The system was established because of concerns about bioterrorism; two
years ago, the CT-DPH was forced to respond to an anthrax event. MEDSAT
is funded through a state CDC Public Health Bioterrorism Preparedness
and Response grant and is designed to provide coordinated public-health
communications in the event of a bioterrorism event or other health
emergency.

"The system allows ... a backup system that will help ensure the ability
to communicate critical messages in what may be the greatest time of
need," said Scott Palmer, emergency communications manager at Hartford
Hospital, the state's largest medical center, in a statement.  "The
State of Connecticut is covered."

Kerry Flaherty, director of the State office of Emergency Management,
believes the system will enhance interoperable communications across the
state. "Being able to bring everyone together over one channel securely
and reliably is not something we currently have the ability to do with
cellular or traditional radio communications," Flaherty said in a
statement.

http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_connecticut_agency_deploys/index.htm
--
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/61FxlB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

-- 
    "NEXTEL-1 IT'S NOT JUST NEXTEL"
  Note The New address 
Subscribe to Nextel-1: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL-1

  "NEXTEL2 FOR iDEN SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS"
Subscribe to Nextel2: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/NEXTEL2

  "WIRELESS FORUM HOMELAND SECURITY GROUP"
     The Complete Resource for Wireless Homeland Security.
Subscribe to WFHSG:  http://www.groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/WFHSG

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEXTEL-1/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/