Subject: [Mobopts] Regarding 'Context Transfer of Mobile IPv6 Multicast Listeners'

From: Hugo Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:24:21 +0100

Hi,

   I'm one of the authors of the Internet Draft 'Context Transfer of
 Mobile IPv6 Multicast Listeners'. Alfredo Matos presented this document
 on our behalf in IETF65.

   Some answers on the questions that were raised during the
 presentation, and that he could not address in detail, are thus due
 from us. Two major comments were made: Kempf's intervention on the CXTP
 RFC; and Rajeev's comment on the interaction of this work with FHO and
 CARD.

   Regarding James Kempf's intervention, indeed the CXTP RFC includes in
 the appendix a description of a use of CXTP and MLD, but this solution
 is in our opinion rather limited. Besides being limited to MLDv1 (ASM
 only) it transfer the complete interface multicast state between Access
 Routers and not the mobile node's individual interest. For complex
 service scenarios, with many nodes and many groups this basic approach
 does not seem adequate.

   As for Rajeev's comment: if FHO is used, the reconstruction of the
 trees may be so fast that taking the multicast state information
 retrieved from CARD into consideration for the handover might indeed be
 irrelevant (in this particular item we expect to have experimental
 results soon). However, this assumes some type of widely used FHO.
 Currently, we have no assurance that this is realistic so we envision
 scenarios where CARD might be used when FHO is not available. So this
 information might still be relevant in those cases. Our feedback from
 cellular operators has not been clear regarding this assumption.
 For instance in inter-domain scenarios this information may be useful.
 We are currently discussing the inclusion or not of the CARD section in
 the next draft version after Rajeev's input.

   We would like to thank in advance the group's interest. Naturally any
 other comments from the group will be extremely welcomed.

   Best Regards,

      Hugo Santos
_______________________________________________
Mobopts mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mobopts