Subject: [Mobopts] Review of draft-irtf-mobopts-ro-enhancements-06

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Mar 2006 00:16:08 -0500

The new IRTF publication process for research group documents includes
peer review by chairs of other RGs.  I'm the chair of the ASRG, and I
claim no great expertise in mobile IP, so my review is primarily about the
readability and utility of this document for a technical but
non-specialist audience.

Basically, I think it's quite good, and could be published as is although
I have a few minor suggestions.

The document starts with an description of the mobile IP environment and
the goals of mobile optimization, and then enumerates a toolbox of
techniques that might be used to improve a node's migration process from
one address to another.  Some of the techniques are fairly tricky, but I
didn't have any trouble following them, even the dread ASCII art.

My only suggestion is that I would have found it useful in section 3 to
have a paragraph or two summarizing the salient characteristics of the
mobile environment, such as power limitations that leadi to a desire to
minimize traffic when a device is not moving.  These all come up in the
discussions of the techniques, but for those of us not steeped in
mobile-thought, it would have been useful to see a list of them before
starting into the toolbox so I could more easily understand the tradeoffs
in using the techniques.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

_______________________________________________
Mobopts mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mobopts