Subject: [Model-t] What is "real ends"

From: Thomas Hardjono <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 20:28:13 +0000

Jari,

Section 4 of draft-arkko-arch-internet-threat-model-01 talks about "real ends":

   But the details matter.  What is considered an endpoint?  What
   characteristics of Internet are we trying to optimize?  This memo
   makes the argument that, for security purposes, there is a
   significant distinction between actual endpoints from a user's
   interaction perspective (e.g., another user) and from a system
   perspective (e.g., a third party relaying a message).

   This memo proposes to focus on the distinction between "real ends"
   and other endpoints to guide the development of protocols.  A
   conversation between one "real end" to another "real end" has
   necessarily different security needs than a conversation between,
   say, one of the "real ends" and a component in a larger system.  The
   end-to-end argument is used primarily for the design of one protocol.
   The security of the system, however, depends on the entire system and
   potentially multiple storage, compute, and communication protocol
   aspects.  All have to work properly together to obtain security.

Can you explain further or give some examples of "real ends" ?

Thanks.

-- thomas --