Subject: [Modern] WG Action: Formed Managing, Ordering, Distributing, Exposing, & Registering telephone Numbers (modern)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:33:52 -0700

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Applications and
Real-Time Area. For additional information please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

Managing, Ordering, Distributing, Exposing, & Registering telephone
Numbers (modern)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Tom McGarry <[email-masked]>
  Steve Donovan <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/modern
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/modern/

Charter:

The MODERN working group will define a set of Internet-based mechanisms
for the purposes of managing the acquisition and resolution of telephone
numbers (TNs) in an IP environment. Devices, applications, and network
tools increasingly need to request and acquire TN delegations from
authorities. The output of the working group should make distribution,
acquisition, and management of TNs simpler for all entities involved.

The working group will define an information management framework for the
roles and functions involved in associating information with one or more
TNs in an IP environment.  The working group will also identify protocol
mechanisms to support the interactions between the functions defined by
the framework. This includes either recommending or defining protocol
mechanisms for acquiring, associating and resolving TNs, with a
preference for use of existing protocol mechanisms. TNs may either be
managed in a hierarchical tree, or in a distributed registry. The
protocol mechanism for acquiring TNs will provide an enrollment process
for the entities that use and manage TNs. 

The protocol mechanism for resolving TNs will allow entities such as
service providers, devices, and applications to access data related to
TNs. Maintaining reliability, real-time application performance, and
security and privacy for both the data and the protocol interactions are
primary considerations. The working group will take into consideration
existing IETF work including STIR, ENUM, SPEERMINT, DRINKS and SCIM as
well as work in other relevant standards organizations.

The work of this group will focus on TNs, as defined in RFC3966, and
blocks of TNs, that are used to initiate communication with another user
of a service. The group acknowledges ITU Plenipotentiary Conference
Resolution 133 which recognizes the existing role and sovereignty of ITU
Member States with respect to allocation and management of their country
code numbering resources as enshrined in Recommendation ITU-T E.164, and
is cognizant of other related ITU-T Recommendations, including E.164.1
and E.190. There is an expectation that aspects of the architecture and
protocols defined by the working group will be reusable for other
user-focused identifiers. Any such extensions or reuse of MODERN
mechanisms are out of scope for the MODERN working group. Solutions and
mechanisms created by the working group will be flexible enough to
accommodate different policies for TN assignment and management, for
example those established by different regulatory agencies.

Milestones:
  Mar 2016 - Submit Architecture Overview Draft to IESG (Informational)
  Jul 2016 - Submit Information Model Draft to IESG (Standards Track)
  Jan 2017 - Submit TN Resolution Draft to IESG (Standards Track)
  Apr 2017 - Submit Enrollment Data Access Process Draft to IESG
(Standards Track)
  Jun 2017 - Submit Enrollment Process Draft to IESG (Standards Track)