Subject: Re: HoA selection (was Re: [Monami6] Comments on draft-montavont-mobileip-multihoming-pb-statement-04)

From: Romain KUNTZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:16:38 +0900

Hi.

Nicolas Montavont wrote:
>>> [8] refers to RFC3484 (Default Address Selection for IPv6). This 
>>> document defines 8 rules to select a source address. However, it
>>> says that "If the eight rules fail to choose a single address,
>>> some unspecified tie-breaker should be used". I believe this case
>>> can happen in HoA selection on MIP6 node, so defining some more
>>> rules for HoA selection could be useful.
>>> 
>> 
>> 
>> This is an interesting comment. So, that would mean that this is
>> issue is not a generic one, after all, and that we should probably
>> list "defining rules for HoA selection" as a WG item.
>> 
>> Comments ?
>> 
>> 
> Right now I fail to see what rule we could define, but definitly I
> think that it would be useful to think about address selection in the
> MIPv6 case. RFC3484 gives only basic rules, that we can extend for a
> MIP6 node having several HoAs/CoAs

Just FYI, the following draft could be one solution to distribute some
policies for source address selection:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fujisaki-dhc-addr-select-opt-00.txt

Abstract:
RFC3484 [RFC3484] describes algorithms for selecting a default
address when a node has multiple destination and/or source addresses
by using an address selection policy.  Administrators can control the
host's default address selection behavior by distributing the policy.
This document describes an option for distributing default address
selection policy information using DHCPv6.

(FYI this draft will be discussed at the IETF at the end of the IPv6 WG 
slot)

-- 
Romain KUNTZ
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Monami6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6