Subject: [Monami6] BUs sent to CN and multiple CoAs

From: Martti Kuparinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:04:27 +0200

Hi,

Let's assume we have an MN with multiple CoAs (and the home registration is
already done with the HA). The MN wants to send the CN a single BU with multiple
CoAs. In other words, the BU sent from MN to CN (without the necessary padding)
could look like this:

+---------------+-----+------+-----+------+-------+-----+
| BU (A=1, H=0) | BID | ACoA | BID | ACoA | Nonce | BAD |
+---------------+-----+------+-----+------+-------+-----+

BU = Binding Update
Nonce = Nonce Indices
BAD = Binding Authorization Data

But before the MN is able to send the BU it must perform the Return Routability
procedure as descibed in RFC 3775 chapter 5.2.5.

- Is it enough for the MN to send only one CoTI or one CoTI for each CoA?
- If one CoTI is enough, how can the CN trust the remaining CoAs inside the BU?
- If multiple CoAs are needed, how is the Binding Authorization Data calculated?

My feeling right now is that bulk registration is not possible with CN and each
CoA needs to be registered separately. Any comments?

Martti

_______________________________________________
Monami6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/monami6

---

From: Martti Kuparinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:34:03 +0200

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wakikawa-mobileip-multiplecoa-05.txt

3.1.  Multiple Care-of Addresses Registration

   If the mobile node wishes to register its binding with a
   correspondent node, it MUST start return routability operations
   before sending a Binding Update.  The mobile node MUST sends CoTI for
   each Care-of Addresses and MUST receive CoT for each Care-of
   Addresses.

==> So bulk registration is not possible with CN. Maybe this should be said in
the draft?

Sorry for the noise...

Martti