Subject: [MEXT] One issue about RFC 5142(Mobility Header Home Agent Switch Message)

From: Robert Yang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:10:48 +0800

Hi, Brian, Vijay and all
In section 6.1 of RFC 5142 it says that: it (MN) MUST send a Binding Error
message with the Status field set to 2 (unrecognized MH Type value) if it
does not support the message type.
But my Question is that: 
(1)Binding error message is sent from CN instead of MN as described in
rfc3775; 
(2) HA switch message is a new message for entities such as MN, HA in
rfc3775, so MN as well as HA should be updated to support this message;

B/R
Robert Yang
 
****************************************************************************
***********
This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from
HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is
listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
(including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction,
or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is
prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
phone or email immediately and delete it!
****************************************************************************
*************

_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext

---

From: Brian Haley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:35:50 -0500

Hi Robert,

> (1)Binding error message is sent from CN instead of MN as described in

Yes, this is something Hui pointed-out too, and I know that what 
entities are allowed to send Binding Errors is under revision for 
3775-bis, so I'll suggest that text be relaxed further than just 
allowing CNs and HAs to send it.  After all, a MN is going to pretty 
much implement all of the CN functionality, so it's not a stretch to 
allow it to send a Binding Error.

> rfc3775, so MN as well as HA should be updated to support this message;

Yes, updating the Linux implementation is on my to-do list, I can't 
speak for any other vendors.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Brian

---

From: Robert Yang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:07:12 +0800

Hi, Brian, thanks for your reply, please see in line!
> allow it to send a Binding Error.
OK

> speak for any other vendors.
Sorry if mislead you. 
What I want to say is that, since not all the MN can support HA switching
message, IMHO maybe it is desirable to help HA to distinguish them.

B/R
Robert Yang

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:55:25 -0800

Hi Robert,

> (1)Binding error message is sent from CN instead of MN as described in

I think RFC 3775 already supports mobile node sending a Binding Error
with status set to '2'. Section 11.2 (part of MN Operation section) says

>    All IPv6 mobile nodes MUST observe the rules described in Section 9.2
>    when processing Mobility Headers.

Section 9.2 (part of CN operation section) says

>    o  The MH Type field MUST have a known value (Section 6.1.1).
>       Otherwise, the node MUST discard the message and issue a Binding
>       Error message as described in Section 9.3.3, with Status field set
>       to 2 (unrecognized MH Type value).

Vijay

---

From: Robert Yang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:40:35 +0800

OK, thanks!

B/R
Robert Yang

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Vijay Devarapalli [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:55 AM
> To: Robert Yang
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: One issue about RFC 5142(Mobility Header Home Agent Switch
> Message)
> 
> Hi Robert,
> 
> Robert Yang wrote:
> > Hi, Brian, Vijay and all