Subject: Re: [MEXT] [WGLC] draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:36:57 +0100

Folks,

The WGLC for draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal-00 has concluded, We 
received a certain number of comments (Thanks!), most of which are 
easily fixable  it seems. Authors, please address these comments in 
further revisions of the draft before we sent it to IESG.

More substantial are Pasi's concerns on the use of IPsec as specified:

  1- lack of detailed descriptions in Section "5.1 Handover interactions
    for IPsec and IKE" possibly making it difficult for the average
    implementor to understand what needs to be done.

  2- concern about whether the specification is using IPsec or is
     actually a change to the IPsec architecture.

I think Pasi's concerns should be at least discussed before we sent the 
draft to IESG, so that we can figure out if/how we address them.

Thanks.

--julien, MEXT co-chair

Julien Laganier wrote:
> Folks,
> 
> Hereby we're issuing a WGLC for draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt. 
> 
> It is a short, one-week WGLC as the document has been previously WGLC'd, 
> it will last until January 31st. We kindly ask the WG to review the 
> last changes that were made and provide comments if needed.
> 
> If you have no comments and think the document is ready to be submitted 
> to IESG, please do send a note stating that to the WG ML.
> 
> Additional information about the document is below:
> 
>         Title           : Mobile IPv6 support for dual stack Hosts and 
> 			  Routers (DSMIPv6)
>         Author(s)       : H. Soliman
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt
>         Pages           : 29
>         Date            : 2008-1-23
>         
>    The current Mobile IPv6 and NEMO specifications support IPv6 only.
>    This specification extends those standards to allow the registration
>    of IPv4 addresses and prefixes, respectively, and the transport of
>    both IPv4 and IPv6 packets over the tunnel to the HA. This
>    specification also allows the Mobile Node to roam over both IPv6 and
>    IPv4, including the case where Network Address Translation is present
>    on the path between the mobile node and its home agent.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mext-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt
> 
> Thank you for your support.
> 
> --julien and marcelo, MEXT chairs

_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext

---

From: Romain KUNTZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 16:01:14 +0100

Hi,

I hope it's not too late for one more comments.

I think the document is not very clear about the usage of the v4  
prefix allocation to the Mobile Node. Description of the P flag in  
section 3.1.1 indicates that the MN can request a Mobile Network  
Prefix. Description of the IPv4 Home Address field states that this  
prefix can be used to form an IPv4 HoA. So what is the real purpose of  
this prefix allocation mechanism? Can such prefix be advertised by a  
mobile router in its mobile network, thus allowing nodes in the mobile  
network to use IPv4?

Regards,
-- 
Romain KUNTZ
[email-masked]
Louis Pasteur University - Networks and Protocols Team

---

From: "George Tsirtsis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:34:35 +0000

The Ipv4 addresses and prefixes in DSMIPv6 are in addition to at least
an IPv6 HoA. Because of this, the MN does not have to have an IPv4
HoA. Instead it can have one or more prefixes which it can either
consume itself or it can use to allocate to other attached nodes in a
NEMO configuration (e.g., via DHCP) or other configurations. In any
case, as long as the behavior of the HA and the MN is clear over the
DSMIPv6 protocol, we should not be too prescriptive on what these
addresses are to be used for.

So, the text in the draft, while correct, it could be improved a bit
for the non-expert reader, as follows. Modified text marked by "|" on
its left side:

   IPv4 home address    The mobile node's IPv4 home address that should
                        be defended by the home agent. This field could
                        contain any unicast IPv4 address (public or
                        private) that was assigned to the mobile node.
                        The value 0.0.0.0 is used to request an IPv4
                        home address from the home agent. A mobile node
                        may choose to use this option to request a
                        prefix by setting the address to the All Zeroes
                        and setting the P flag. The mobile node could
                        then form an IPv4 home address based on the
                     |   allocated prefix or it can use it to address
other nodes
                     |   attached to it. Alternatively, the mobile node
                     |   may use a combination of options, for
                     |   requesting static and/or dynamic address(es)
and prefix(es)
                     |   as required.

George