Subject: [MEXT] Security protocols for MobileIPv6

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:15:39 -0800

Folks,

I have seen time and again efforts to build a "better" key management 
protocol as MSEC contributor and co-chair over the years.  We worked on 
GDOI, GSAKMP, GSAKMP-Lite, Many MIKEY modes (a high single digit 
number), GKDP to name a few.

If we are to actually work toward the security requirements (15.1 of 
3775), and if the goal is interoperability* we are going to end up with 
a protocol that looks a lot like IKEv2.

Reuse of protocols is sometimes inconvenient.  If you think I am 
somewhat of an IPsec nut (I am not, but I am a reuse advocate however), 
please see the things DTLS needed to do for its reuse as a key 
management protocol for SRTP.  Is that convenient?  Not really, but the 
reuse is still beneficial than not.

Now, if the purpose of this effort is to stamp 'standards track' on 
4285bis, or something close to that, then we are talking about diluting 
the security requirements based on perceived inconveniences.

best,
Lakshminath

* I hope Charlie's comment about everyone using what they like was an 
oversight.  I presume we are all here at the IETF to achieve 
interoperability and interworking.  For interoperability, we need 
another protocol to negotiate the use of the key management protocol and 
one that protects against downgrade attacks and believe me when I say 
this, that's not going to be a picnic.  We can of course say goodbye to 
interworking.
_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext