Subject: [MORG] Proposed WG Charter

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:20:45 +0100

Hi folks,
Chris Newman asked me to post a draft charter for the WG-to-be to this 
mailing list:

===============
Description of the proposed Working Group:

The IETF Message Organization extensions Working Group is tasked to work 
on IMAP extensions that improve clients ability to find messages or 
group of messages in an IMAP mailstore. This includes an extension for 
multimailbox searches, extensions defining new search and sort criteria, 
an extension defining client controlled per mailbox attributes.
As the secondary goal the WG will try to ensure that designed extensions 
minimize number of round-trips and and bandwidth overhead.

In particular the Working Group is chartered to finalize and publish the 
following IMAP extensions as proposed standards:

(a) The IMAP SEARCH=INTHREAD and THREAD=REFS Extensions 
(draft-gulbrandsen-imap-inthread-01.txt)
(b) New search method using prefix match and a comparator (TBD)
(c) New address sort criteria extending the SORT extension (TBD)
(d) IMAP4 Multimailbox SEARCH Extension 
(draft-melnikov-imapext-multimailbox-search-03.txt)
(e) IMAP Extension for per mailbox and per server attributes 
(draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-13.txt)
(f) STATUS-in-LIST (TBD, see 
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-imapext/mail-archive/msg02245.html>)
(g) Formalize a way to return counters by message types (e.g. voice, 
fax) using STATUS command and ESEARCH extension

Additional drafts may be added this list, but only via a charter 
revision. There must also be demonstrable willingness in the IMAP 
development community to actually implement a given extension before it 
can be added to this charter.

Revising or replacing the base IMAP4rev1 specification (RFC 3501) is out 
of the scope of this WG. However, this WG will ensure that whatever 
extensions it does propose do not worsen any existing problems in the 
base specification of IMAP, nor do they make any such problems harder to 
address in the future.
===============

Feel free to suggest changes or removal/addition of work items.
I am aware that several people like Timo suggested other work items 
(like other threading algorithms), but I would like to at least see an 
email (ideally a draft) before adding them to the list.

Best Regards,
Alexey

_______________________________________________
MORG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/morg
Note Well: http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html