Subject: Re: [MORG] I-D Action:draft-ietf-morg-sortdisplay-02.txt

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:05:12 -0800

I checked this against the X-DISPLAY-FROM, X-DISPLAY-TO and X-DISPLAY-CC 
extension sort keys in our server implementation.  I note two differences:

1. We decode RFC 2047 to UTF-8.  The draft does not specify charset, so an 
implementation which decoded 2047 to a different charset would sort 
differently.  The algorithm in 5255 section 4.6 needs to be followed, which 
states the decoded text MUST be converted to a charset expected by the 
active comparator.  I believe 5255 should have said that decoding to UTF-8 
SHOULD be used where the active comparator specifies multiple acceptable 
charsets including UTF-8.  As it does not say that, I believe it would 
improve interoperability if this draft said that although I wouldn't 
consider that a blocking flaw.  RFC 4790 states that any octet-based 
charset is acceptable for i;octet.

2. Our implementation also strips double-quotes from around the personal 
name field prior to comparing.  I believe RFC 3501 is unclear about whether 
double-quotes are stripped when an RFC 2822 mailbox is parsed into an IMAP 
envelope.  I'd like this draft to state double-quotes are stripped (or 
un-escaped) if present.

I support advancement of this specification.

		- Chris

--On October 18, 2009 9:15:01 -0700 [email-masked] wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Message Organization
> Working Group of the IETF.
>
>
> 	Title           : Display-based Address Sorting for the IMAP4 SORT
> Extension 	Author(s)       : D. Karp
> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-morg-sortdisplay-02.txt
> 	Pages           : 6
> 	Date            : 2009-10-18
>
> This document describes an IMAP protocol extension enabling server-
> side message sorting based on the commonly-displayed portion of the
>> From and To header fields.
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-morg-sortdisplay-02.txt
>
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
> Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
> Internet-Draft.
>