Subject: [mpls-tp] MPLS-TP Framework - control plane control of OAM

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:19:06 -0000

Hi Matthew,

In section 3.5 you have...

   Editor's note: Isn't the following a management plane operation.  I
   can't think of a routing protocol triggering an OAM message.  Or do
   we mean that the control plane is capable of reacting to OAM events?
   Control plane and OAM are independent.

   The MPLS-TP control plane is capable of activating MPLS-TP OAM
   functions as described in the OAM section of this document
   Section 3.4 e.g. for fault detection and localization in the event of
   a failure in order to efficiently restore failed transport paths.

I'm not sure I understand your note!
The control plane contains more than routing protocols. For example, 
signaling protocols.
I don't think the paragraph says "triggering an OAM message." It says 
"activating OAM."
There is precedent in GMPLS for signaling enabling and disabling OAM on an 
LSP.
See draft-ietf-ccamp-oam-configuration-fwk-00.txt

Cheers,
Adrian