Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] We appear to be going around in circles (Re: Associated bidirectional transport path requirements) (fwd)

From: Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:52:13 -0400

> Hi Rahul,
>
> Although I agree with the spirit of your comment in general, but
> in context of IETF, the IETF works are based on consensus of
> individuals and not their affiliation.  For example I don't
> recall MPLS requirements being defined by operators more than 10
> years ago.
>
> Regards,
> Shahram

It is correct that in the IETF officially we are all acting as
individuals, and not as representatives of whatever company happens to
pay our salary. 

However, there is some IETF precedent for having requirements documents
written by experts who work for service providers (and/or network
operators, since of course there are network operators in large
enterprises in addition to service providers). There is also some
precedent for actively seeking out comments from a wider range of
service providers / network operators. 

In this case, where people who do not work for providers are stating
that "there are carrier requirements for X", and there are some people
from service providers who are contradicting this, it would be
particularly useful to hear from other folks from other service
providers regarding whether or not there really are carrier requirements
for X. 

Ross

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:15:36 +0200

All,

I did not see the mail from Sharam, but hunderstands what he is
saying.

Though what was discussed was the difference between

- an individual saying I have the following bright idea ...
- I know a lot of service providers that thinks the following is
   a bright idea ...

The first may discussed on it technicl merit, the second is not
possible to verify one way or the other, unless these service
providers steps up and say so themselves.

/Loa

Ross Callon wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> mpls-tp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-tp

-- 

Loa Andersson

Sr Strategy and Standards Manager    phone:  +46 10 717 52 13
Ericsson ///                                 +46 767 72 92 13 

                                       email:  [email-masked]
                                               [email-masked]
                                               [email-masked]