Subject: [mpls-tp] MPLS TP operation

From: venkatesan mahalingam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:55:17 +0530

Hi All,
It seems that MPLS-TP is fully operated on MPLS OAM functionalities (LSP
ping, LSP Trace route and GACH TLVs).

But ITU-T have a standard for liner protection switching (G.8131), this
standard says it uses APS protocol which runs over ITU-T 1731 (Ethernet CFM)

Do we use this APS (ITU-T .1731) for our MPLS-TP control packets?

Please help me to understand the decisions.

Thanks in advance,
Venkat.

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:11:25 +0100

Venkat,

Your question is open to some interpretation :-)

> It seems that MPLS-TP is fully operated on MPLS OAM functionalities
> (LSP ping, LSP Trace route and GACH TLVs).

It is certainly true that MPLS-TP will be fully operated on MPLS OAM 
functionalities. That is, all OAM used in MPLS-TP will form part of the MPLS 
OAM suite.

HOWEVER, that does not imply that new mechanisms will not be added to the 
MPLS OAM suite.

The requirements for MPLS-TP OAM are still being discussed (although nearing 
conclusion). This opens the discussion of the many options for MPLS-TP OAM, 
and a huge raft of Internet-Drafts have been submitted offering different 
solutions and approaches. You are welcome to find these on the MPLS-TP wiki 
(http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/misc/mpls-tp/) and to send your comments to the 
MPLS-TP mailing list.

It is worth considering that the prevailing guidance is to utilise existing 
MPLS techniques where they fit the the requirements, and to extend them 
where possible. This does not, however, preclude the inclusion of 
techniques, message formats, state machines, or philosophies that are new or 
have been developed outside the IETF where the existing MPLS OAM techniques 
do not meet the requirements.

This is all up for discussion based on technical merit and normal IETF 
consensus process.

Thanks,
Adrian

> Please help me to understand the decisions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> _______________________________________________
> mpls-tp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls-tp
>